Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Holy fuck - I just did my taxes

I owe 3300 dollars to the federal government??? Fuck Trump and his tax cuts I have never owed in my life.

by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2020 3:03 AM

The tax cuts were for the rich, not for you.

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2020 5:58 PM

Do you vote, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2020 6:03 PM

So, what are you planning to do about it? We all just complain and bitch but you need to turn that into action.

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2020 6:03 PM

I vote - voted for Hillary will vote who ever the dem nom is - I will say this, I am not what you would consider poor and fuck this is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2020 6:10 PM

Trump gave you a loan of 3 grand for a year. Now you have to pay up. Just like he's always had to do.

In his case, though, he never actually did.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 6:14 PM

Oh can do I what he did and just declare bankruptcy?

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2020 6:16 PM

Last year we owed over $8,000, and we’ve never owed anything. The cap of mortgage interest and property taxes has really fucked us over.

I dread doing our taxes this year.

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2020 7:17 PM

r7 yeah that really fucked me up this year. Fucking republicans.

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2020 8:10 PM

As others have noted, they are for the wealthy and corporations (who made out the best).

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2020 8:13 PM

"Owing" something or getting a refund means nothing. You have to look at your TAX LIABILITY. That's what you're actually paying. The owing/refund are affected by how much you had withheld or how much you paid in via other methods.

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2020 8:30 PM

Fuck off R10, you know what we mean

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2020 8:55 PM

Don't pay it. If you get caught, it's not your fault.

Ever.

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2020 9:00 PM

OP, make sure you check back if you owe interest and penalties, for the schadenfreude, you know.

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2020 9:11 PM

I never understand how people can say such a thing. My salary was always varying by thousands from year to year, and I have investments, so my income was always off by a lot, also.

OP, you sound like a rich guy. Doesn’t your income vary? Stocks were up 30% last year, maybe that’s it?

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2020 9:19 PM

My taxes are lower since the cuts. But the amount withheld by my company dropped much lower. So now I pay in April instead of getting a refund.

But it feels worse having to pay.

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2020 9:23 PM

If Democrats sweep the next election, they’d better repeal this tax cut for the rich.

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2020 9:27 PM

R7: do you live in a Blue/Northeast state?

by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2020 9:43 PM

R17. New York

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2020 9:45 PM

Don’t forget the extra $1k/yr you're paying for imported goods because of the Dump tariffs.

by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2020 9:48 PM

Zoinks! That's our Trump!

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2020 9:48 PM

As R7 shows, the tax "reform" was intended to be a giant "fuck you" to states that went for Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2020 9:52 PM

Dumb whore/op,

Calculate all the money you took home in paychecks, less was taken out during the year so you didn’t really make less. Do tha maf

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2020 10:02 PM

I knew this bullshit was coming, so I had "extra" taken out from each paycheck to avoid owing now. I did the same thing last year. Some of my less informed coworkers were crowing about how their pay had really gone up since Trump had reduced their taxes. It was closer to the truth that their withholding rates had been reduced, and there was much bellyaching when they all had big tax bills instead of the usual refunds at the end of 2018.

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2020 11:09 PM

r22 I never said I made less cunt. I said for the first time I owe.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2020 12:02 AM

I've put zero dependents on my W4 form for 15 years now so I always get a sizeable refund annually. Last year was the first time it was next to zero. And I had to pay for state taxes, which I never had before.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2020 12:02 AM

Same here r25

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2020 12:12 AM

I used to get around $25,000.00 refund yearly. Last year, it was a paltry 10 grand. Fuck Trump.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2020 12:18 AM

r25 You might want to revisit that since there are no more dependency exemptions, and the standard deduction has increased dramatically. The W-4 forms have been radically revised since the last time you filled one out.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2020 12:32 AM

I paid more than Bernie did last year.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2020 12:34 AM

Fuck TRump, McConnell and Ryan for this. Have a horse fuck those three. Living in a blue state fucked me over. Mortgage interest and property tax caps fucked me over. Last year was the first time ever that I ever had to pay taxes. And fuck the cunt up thread who states my “bigger “ paycheck makes up for that. Big deal, I get 11 more dollars per paycheck since the “tax cut”.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2020 12:41 AM

R22, eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2020 12:42 AM

You are paying the taxes for the rich.

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2020 12:45 AM

R22 that math happened to work out for me (higher take-home pay offset by smaller refund, overall neutral) but that isn't the case for everyone. Depending where your income falls in the tax brackets and what deductions you could take in the past that were capped, many people in high property tax states (for example) got screwed.

FUCK YOU TRUMP. FUCK YOU RIGHT IN THE ASS. On second thought, EWWWWWW. The horror!!!

There, I feel better for a few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2020 12:46 AM

R32, yes you are right. By doing so we will ALL benefit from trickle-down economics per Republican talking points. FUCK REPUBLICANS.

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2020 12:48 AM

Trump wanted to fuck the blue states, so he did. It's just like the way he continues to fuck Puerto Rico. You put a low life scum bag in a high position you will eventually get an atomic bomb go off somewhere, wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2020 12:50 AM

As usual you can always sell some ass, use what your momma gave you.

by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2020 12:51 AM

I thought Democrats loved paying taxes?

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2020 12:55 AM

R37, eat my ass Boris. Like you do to Putin.

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2020 12:58 AM

you people don't seem to understand. go to an accountant to have a professional explain it to you if you can't figure out how to add your total taxes and income. just because you have to pay this year by April 15 doesn't mean your taxes went up in 2019. smh

by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2020 1:17 AM

If you are middle class, your taxes will be going up quite a bit if Sanders or Liz get elected. Sanders has been up front with being honest about raising taxes; Liz is being coy.

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2020 1:28 AM

r39 They did go up because they limited what you can deduct and dependants as well as the standard deduction.

by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2020 2:29 AM

I think OP is an est.

It is too early for all the forms to go out.

by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2020 2:33 AM

No it’s not r42

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2020 2:34 AM

No it isn't, R42.

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2020 2:38 AM

R42 My taxes are done. If your company uses ADP and payroll is on top of shit everything is already online. My return was even accepted by the IRS already.

I already know one middle class, rural, small business owner who owes about 5k when last year they owed nothing. That's a big difference.

by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2020 2:45 AM

If they want to make blue states so expensive, then they shouldn’t be surprised when more people migrate to red states AND VOTE THEIR ASSES OUT.

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2020 3:01 AM

I'm looking forward to the forms not saying, "Did you have health insurance for all of 2019?".

None of your business, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2020 3:16 AM

R47 = Deplorable

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2020 3:22 AM

R15 Didn’t your company send out any kind of notice or email in early 2019 telling you to double check your withholding rates as a result of the 2018 tax changes? That with the lower rates, you may not be having enough withheld to cover what you owe. Both me and my partner’s got one from our respective employers. My company even attached a link to the IRS worksheet to So you could do the calculations and see where you where at. I had to bump up my withholdings.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2020 6:08 AM

Holy Shit, OP. I’m so sorry.

by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2020 6:27 AM

This fuckery has been my contention from Day 1. If these ratass bastards in Congress and the US PResident DO NOT do their jobs and still get paid....even make money illegally. THEN WHY THE FUCK SHOULD YOUR AVERAGE JOHN/JANE DOE GIVE ANY FUCKS? If they don't have to be accountable for anything (and supposedly they work for us, the people.), then why should we!?

No one is supposed to be above the law--but yet it's all we see!

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2020 7:16 AM

OP here - yeah so I won't be paying my taxes until 4/14 lol. I have the money that is not the issue...its the changes to deductions and such that have fucked most of us. That corporate tax rate lowering has to be filled my something. Guess it is us.

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2020 1:21 AM

[quote]I'm looking forward to the forms not saying, "Did you have health insurance for all of 2019?".

Better not move to California. The question will be back (with accompanying penalties) for 2020.

by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote]Some of my less informed coworkers were crowing about how their pay had really gone up since Trump had reduced their taxes.

Where on Earth do you work where this would happen?? Nobody I work with would ever mention politics, or Trump, or paychecks, or any combination thereof, EVER.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2020 2:33 AM

It's the cap on mortgage deductions and state/local taxes that is killing folks at the upper end of middle incomes - and not just in blue states. To make it worse the tax breaks granted to everyone but the rich will "expire" in a few years. To make matters even worse the Trump IRS played games with the withholding tables when the "tax reform" first rolled out. Those tables woefully under withheld during the year to give people the impression they were getting a bigger cut than they really were. I got wind of that and lowered my exemptions to zero in the 4th quarter. I ended up with a small refund, enough for a nice dinner out, which per my accountant is what everyone should be aiming for.

by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2020 3:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!