Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fairway to close all stores

$6M in monthly rent for their UWS flagship store!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2020 4:12 PM

No!!!! I loved that place. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2020 12:02 PM

Good. I am so tired of buying something at Fairway that looks appetizing in the store and is either half rotted in the middle or tasteless when opening it up at home. Getting back to the store for a refund is too much of a hassle for most shoppers who take a loss as Fairway gains. Their cookies and cakes in the bakery are so nice looking in the store, but completely dry and crumbly once purchased. Must spend close to $200 a year there on things I end up chucking out. Bye gurl.

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2020 12:03 PM

What a loss. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2020 12:03 PM

I assume they were sold. When I lived in Manhattan, they were great if not particularly convenient. At the time, I think they primarily served caterers and restaurants. When we moved to NJ, one opened nearby. At first it was great. After six months, most of the specialty items disappeared. Those that remained doubled in price ( a particular sausage that I liked went from $7.00 to $13.00.)

R2 is right. I don't think we ever bought an onion that was not rotten at the core.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2020 12:17 PM

Another NYC thread? On DL?!

This gets a big fat: "Who cares!"

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 12:19 PM

They also sold off a large share to a private equity firm, which always ends well.

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2020 12:20 PM

The Fairway in Stamford, Connecticut has always been dirty. I once witnessed a store manager open the deli case from the front, reach in and grab food with his bare hands, shove it into his mouth, then walk away to continue his floor duties.

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2020 12:28 PM

Rumor is that ShopRite is going to move into the Broadway and W.74th location.

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2020 12:32 PM

I live near the Georgetown, Brooklyn one, it’s my favorite supermarket and has a parking lot. Genuinely upset, as melodramatic as that sounds!

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2020 12:33 PM

Who gets the one in Red Hook?

Obviously not Wegman's, since they just moved into Brooklyn Navy Yard.

Could we get a Stew Leonard's?

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2020 12:35 PM

Maybe someone will be the store at Broadway and 74th street and the store under the West Side Hwy. Those two stores do VERY well. They are also the only stores that were opened under the original family. I shop at the West Side Hwy store. Plenty of parking and it's a fairly spacious store. The whole area near that store is being transformed by Columbia University.

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2020 12:40 PM

Has anyone reached out to Miss Dorothy Kilgallen for her opinion?

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2020 12:42 PM

I've lived on the UWS for 20 years and used to shop at Fairway until I switched to Amazon Fresh for the convenience. I have no complaints about Fairway's products or prices. I'm going to miss the Fairway Cafe which has fantastic food and can be a fun scene when the restaurant is crowded with quirky UWSiders. The Comedians In Cars With Coffee episode starring Alec Baldwin was filmed at the cafe.

Will Fairway customers make Zabar's even more crowded or will they make Trader Joe's even more crowded? Or will everyone just give up on the long lines and switch to Amazon Fresh?

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2020 1:18 PM

R5, Sigue follando a ese pollo.

I buy all my regular produce from the street vendors uptown. It's fresher than anywhere and everything costs a dollar. I hate all the big, Manhattan stores; the're always jammed packed and If I'm going to overpay, I'm not leaving my neighborhood to do it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2020 1:41 PM

How sad. That said, their employees sucked. And their deli went downhill. I feel really guilty, but when Wegman's came to Brooklyn the game was changed. I shop there and love it. Amazing food. Killer customer service. A cheese counter that is from heaven. Even their take out pizza is fucking awesome. They also do things for single people - selling single hamburger patties. All sorts of prepared meals that are really really good. Weirdly that creates a feeling of inclusiveness which inspires loyalty.

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2020 1:54 PM

Yet the Food Circus continues to expand

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2020 1:55 PM

This sucks. Fairway was an institution. I remember going there as a kid back in the 90s with my mother and grandmother.

Once they expanded though, things never seemed the same and TBH I am guilty of favoring TJs and WF and Amazon delivery--the narrow aisles at the Broadway store and insane parking lot in Harlem made shopping there a hassle, especially since I'm not buying a whole lot for two people (versus people buying for families)

And +1 R13 on everything you said, especially the cafe which was recent but a great addition.

by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2020 2:00 PM

Whoops! Fairway just tweeted that they are neither dead nor dying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2020 2:00 PM

Than you R18!!!

Glad I checked this thread one last time!

You saved me from repeating #FakeNews and you made my day!

by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2020 2:06 PM

I feel so much better...that was a bummer for sure. It’s the only good supermarket in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2020 2:24 PM

The key part of the tweet in r18: "and we look forward to seeing our customers and employees."

I think the news hit unexpectedly for Fairway, so their tweet is intended to keep employees coming to work and customers buying until the day they shut their doors.

I hope they don't close. I go to their 74th and B'way store all the time for staple items.

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2020 2:37 PM

R5, only concerned w things that affect you? Start your own site or scroll by if you’re not interested.

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2020 3:01 PM

They've already filed the bankrupcy plan. That likely means they are closing

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2020 3:04 PM

From NYT

Fairway Market, the nearly century-old supermarket chain that’s a New York institution, has been known for its hard-to-find global offerings, low prices and no-frills demeanor.

It has also been dogged with speculation of its financial health. It declared bankruptcy in 2016 and was acquired by Blackstone, the giant private equity firm. By 2018, a top company executive declared: “Fairway has bounced back.”

But on Tuesday night, a new report said the company’s demise was imminent, stunning many New Yorkers who considered the store a battle-tested survivor of the unforgiving retail landscape.

The company denied the details of that report Wednesday morning.

“Despite reports, Fairway Market has no intention to file for chapter 7 or liquidate all of its stores,” Rica Hermosura, a spokeswoman representing the company, said in a statement. “Such statements are categorically untrue and disappointing.” Fairway, she added, would soon announce a transaction “that will provide for the ongoing operation of its stores.” In the meantime, all 14 locations remained open.

Two people with knowledge of the company’s deliberations said the company was contemplating bankruptcy plans. The details of the plans, including whether some stores will stay open with a new owner, have not yet been worked out, according to the two people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote] Rica Hermosura, a spokeswoman representing the company

Sounds like a made-up Puerto Rican tranny name.

by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2020 4:05 PM

This is what happens when Mom and Pop businesses are conned by Hedge Funders to expand. Fairway got too big, too fast thanks to the guys with big bucks.

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2020 4:09 PM

Nothing wrong with guys with big cocks.

by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2020 4:15 PM

Well now that the rumor is out, they may have to file bankruptcy - because all their vendors are going to be spooked and demand payment upfront.

I’ve had 2 grocery stores close. I don’t know how they survive downtown. Even 500 square foot delis can’t survive. Something has to give in this retail real estate market.

by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2020 4:18 PM

More on the denial from Fairway:

The New York Post had said the chain was filing for bankruptcy, but Fairway Market released a statement later Wednesday saying it "has no intention to file for chapter 7 or liquidate all of its stores."

"Such statements are categorically untrue and disappointing. Fairway has been engaged in a strategic process and expects to soon announce a value-maximizing transaction that will provide for the ongoing operations of stores," the statement continued. "Our lenders remain extremely supportive of our efforts. All 14 stores remain open for business, offering a complete range of high quality, specialty food products, and we look forward to seeing our customers and employees."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2020 4:26 PM

Deblasio sucks orangeman's testicles, both are gross people

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2020 12:23 AM

I'm going with the WSJ's reporting. Sorry, Rica Hermosura. I don't believe you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2020 2:48 AM

Breaking!

Fairway Market is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and will sell up to five of its stores and its distribution center to Village Super Market, Inc, the parent company of ShopRite, for $70 million.

The company will then begin to sell its remaining store locations under court supervision.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2020 1:39 PM

The problem is the insiders wanted to sell their shares before the news broke. But it broke to fast and they lost.

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2020 2:01 PM

I called it. They have to deny to keep supply coming. Bankruptcy is a big scam. Corporations get to wipe out their debt - individuals don’t. Welcome to the “democracy” of the USA.

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2020 4:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!