Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you own a snowblower?

I do. When I bought a house, I inherited a state of the art gas snow blower from the previous owner of the house.

The problem is that it’s such a pain to maintain, turn on, and maneuver, particularly when a snow fall is less than 2 inches. In those cases I just wait for the sun to melt the driveway.

I’ve been thinking of buying a lighter, electric snowblower to use instead. Anyone have experience with electric snowblowers?

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2020 4:54 AM

Yes and I rarely use it unless it’s over three inches of snow because otherwise I just drive over it. Also, it’s a corded one so it’s a pain to unravel the cord from the cord wheel and then wind it up again afterwards. Plus I can’t stand the sound of it.

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2020 9:09 PM

Unlikeliest.thread.HERE.ever

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2020 9:29 PM

R2 is discounting Datalounge lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2020 11:32 PM

When I owned my house, I bought a small gas powered Toro. My timing was good because the next couple winters pelted us with lots of snow.

I discovered the following.

It was easy to just walk behind the snow blower and it did a fairly good job.

But I discovered that when I, when operating the blower and holding the handle, if I raised the handle a bit which tilted the blower down, it cleaned much closer to the pavement. But, OP, beware, doing this also seemed to give the machine a bit more power assist and unlike just walking along, the machine went faster and the user had to move more quickly. As soon as you stopped angling the blower down, normal behavior resulted.

Because of this, I would never use the tilting movement on a sloped walk.

But it did clear down to the pavement.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2020 11:59 PM

We have a lightweight one, more than adequate for the small amount of city sidewalk we are responsible for. However, it really is more trouble than it’s worth to drag it outside unless there is an actual blizzard. It’s also useless on the steps.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 1:06 AM

I am in the Philly area and have a gas powered one but haven't had to use it in a couple of years. You have to remember to turn it on and run it a few times a year I guess to be sure it is working. Murphy's Law if you don't it won't start when you need it!

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2020 1:20 AM

I thought this thread was about gay elves...

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2020 1:25 AM

My neighbor's son clears my driveway and then I blow him. Is that close enough?

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2020 1:50 AM

R8, Joel is such a multitalented lad.

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2020 1:52 AM

I have an electric snow blower. Snow Joe. It is corded or I can remove the cord and use the battery. When I'm using the cord, the motor has a bit more power. But I find the battery to be adequate for snow up to 10 inches or so. However, it is best not to let the snow get that deep. The entire process is so much easier if the snow is not deep.

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2020 2:13 AM

The problem with snow is the best time to shovel it is right after the snowfall.

After that, it begins to compact and freeze over, making it much harder to push away.

So if you feel lazy when to first snows and don’t go out to shovel, you’re condemned to have to wait until it all melts

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2020 2:44 AM

Global warming will make them obsolete.

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2020 2:49 AM

What’s the difference between and electric snow shovel and electric snow blower?

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2020 3:03 AM

Didn't Julia Roberts do this in a movie?

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2020 3:39 AM

Be glad you're not in Newfoundland; unless ya are!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2020 3:55 AM

I don't like to damage the defined crown of my carriage roads, nor do I like to disturb the gravel topping so I plow leaving an inch or two of snow cover Looks prettier and I can use the roads for horseback riding as well as cross country skiing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2020 5:04 AM

It only takes about 15 to snow blow my driveway but I feel it such a tedious task that I avoid it. It’s easier to let it all melt in a week.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2020 10:31 AM

I purchased an electric snowblower 4 years ago. It's a TORO 38381 - 1800 power curve. I use it when it snows about 5 or more inches. It's very convenient, relatively lightweight, and easy to use. I beleive I paid $250 for it. I've had zero issues with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2020 10:47 AM

[quote] Also, it’s a corded one so it’s a pain to unravel the cord from the cord wheel and then wind it up again afterwards.

I hate that.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2020 11:01 AM

Are you a shut-in, R17?

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2020 11:57 AM

No, I actually like to shovel. It's great exercise. I do my driveway -- which is quite steep -- and my neighbors' sidewalks as well.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2020 12:12 PM

I can't shovel anymore. I'm 63 and the shovel gets caught in my caftan.

Won't one of you young men come blow my snow?

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2020 1:02 PM

[quote] I actually like to shovel. It's great exercise.

It is good exercise but quite dangerous even if you think you're in good shape.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2020 1:04 PM

[quote] Are you a shut-in, [R17]?

No, my car easily drives over the snow so I don't' feel I have to snowblow anything less than 3-4 inches

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2020 1:46 PM

Where do you live R18? How much snow do you get? Wet/Dry?

I have a gas snowblower in Colorado but the thing is like driving a tank. The one you posted looks like a nice alternative.

No issues with the plug staying in?

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2020 1:55 PM

The gas blower I have is a huge heavy hunk of metal. I second-guess whether I have to really go out and use it because it's such a pain.

Are the electric ones lighter?

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2020 9:32 PM

Most of them are probably lighter than what you have, R26. But how are we to know what yours weighs?

One thing for certain, the electric snow blower will not be as loud as a gas snow blower. Loud enough, but not like a gas blower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2020 9:43 PM

[quote] In those cases I just wait for the sun to melt the driveway.

I wish I had a driveway.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2020 9:49 PM

[quote]In those cases I just wait for the sun to melt the driveway.

[quote]I wish I had a driveway.

I wish I had some sun.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2020 9:54 PM

Just stand in your driveway gazing at the wreckage of the snow and some big strapping fellow will appear in a pick-up with a snowblower in back, talk jovially about the weather for a minute, and then ask if you "want blowed out."

I never had to buy a snowblower when I lived in the country. In fact most neighbors had them and, bored with the weather and excited by the prospect of blowing the dust of their snow blower, would just drive around being good samaritans. No charge, though I always offered.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2020 10:09 PM

No. It doesn’t snow much here in DC, and when it does, it melts By the next day

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2020 10:16 PM

R30 Kindness Street, East Happyville?

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2020 10:18 PM

You may laugh R32, but my father totally does this. I don't know if he is just bored or what.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2020 9:52 PM

OP I have an electric snowblower, I live in Maryland and never get more than 5 inches of snow it works well to clear the driveway and sidewalk . Got it for 100 bucks during Prime days on Amazon. Beats shoveling !

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2020 10:09 PM

My electric snowblower worked well when I we had about 15 inches three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2020 11:00 PM

I had a Snow Joe until there was one decent storm the year we had six of them. I actually liked going out and moving snow around. You're indoors too much in the winter and snow clearance is an excuse to get out. But above three inches of heavy, wet snow (I'm near the water, so it's always heavy and wet) it was useless. I have the plow guy do it all now and I stay inside. Warm.

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2020 11:11 PM

salt

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2020 11:18 PM

What brands of electric blower do you have and recommend?

by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2020 2:05 AM

I like mine. I am using it in upstate New York and it's done well for me for the past three winters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2020 3:31 AM

This is the worst thread ever. Came here looking for some great snowblower jokes and found so few...very disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2020 4:12 AM

(CAVEAT: I apparently have several of the posters, above, on "block," so . . .)

Q: What do you get if you cross a gay Eskimo with a gay African-American?

A: A snow-blower that doesn't work, THANK YOU!

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2020 4:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!