Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What’s your go-to meal when you don’t feel like making dinner?

I love to cook, but I’m not feeling it this week. What do you throw together when you don’t want to make anything involved or get takeout?

by Anonymousreply 301March 19, 2020 12:31 AM

Pasta ala Leftovers. Leftover chopped chicken, unused vegetables, penne or other shaped pasta, any kind of sauce from a reduced broth to pesto to red sauce.

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2020 3:44 PM

top ramen and kimchi

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2020 3:45 PM

Canned soup. Or bagged salad.

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2020 3:48 PM

I am possibly the most terrible cook in the world. I hate preparing food and I never feel like making dinner. Fortunately, I have a live-in cook. He's called my partner and he's amazing. I'll swear he can prepare anything and it will look good and taste incredible. Without him, I would probably exist on sandwiches, ramen, and frozen dinners. He's the only thing between me and starvation.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2020 3:50 PM

I almost always have something leftover in my freezer. If not, I will stop at the deli and get a grilled chicken breast, and add it to salad (I always have salad fixins in my fridge). Other easy meals when I am starving are rice and beans (I keep the par-boiled bags of rice and a few cans of beans on the shelf, add some hot sauce), tuna pasta salad, peanut butter and jelly on toast, eggs.

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2020 3:51 PM

An omelette.

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2020 3:53 PM

Gashouse egg (aka toad in the hole), ramen, grilled cheese, or mac n cheese.

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2020 3:54 PM

Sauté any random vegetables (potato, onion, peppers, tomatoes, fresh corn, spinach). Beat a couple of eggs and scramble with the vegetables. Melt shredded cheese on top.

Fast and always satisfying!

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2020 3:57 PM

Spaghetti. I make a big pot of sauce with shrimp about once a month and freeze it in individual servings.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2020 4:00 PM

I love Chef Boyardee canned lasagna. Dump it on a couple slices of garlic toast and microwave it. Add parmesan.

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2020 4:03 PM

frozen pizza

by Anonymousreply 11January 21, 2020 4:06 PM

Canned soup, or a bowl of instant mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 12January 21, 2020 4:12 PM

Toast.

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2020 4:13 PM

Boxed cereal.

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2020 4:17 PM

Ham and cheese on a kaiser roll with spicy brown mustard and chips.

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2020 4:20 PM

soup made from whatever vegetables I have, black beans, a couple of frozen meatballs and a handful of frozen ravioli. I have a ton of little tiny containers of tomato sauce, ricotta cheese, black beans etc in the freezer for just this scenario.

black beans and shrimp in parmesan and lime sauce over angel hair or quinoa.

they both take about 5 minutes of prep max and a few minutes of actual cooking.

by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2020 4:20 PM

"shrimp in parmesan and lime sauce" sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2020 4:25 PM

So does shrimp in spaghetti sauce.

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2020 4:35 PM

There's a really good shrimp and pasta recipe I got years ago from lord knows where, and it has lemon juice, not lime, but it's delicious. It's shallot and garlic chopped and sauteed in olive oil, add some lemon zest and lemon juice and dry white wine, simmer some grape tomatoes in it for a few minutes until they're cooked through, then add shrimp. Toss with pasta, add parmesan and chopped Italian parsley.

I don't really care for shrimp in tomato spaghetti sauce but tossed with tomatoes in this recipe, it's good. It would probably work okay with lime, but if I'm going to have lime and shrimp, I want something Mexican, not Italian.

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2020 4:37 PM

Exactly R19, that sounds wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2020 4:40 PM

Frozen ricotta stuffed ravioli with tomatoes, frozen spinach. Nachos with refried beans, olives, jalapeños, and cheese. Quesadillas. Salad with a hard boiled egg.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2020 4:43 PM

PBJ and milk or tuna with mayo

by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2020 4:51 PM

I agree, it sounds disgusting but it really hits the spot. it's a couple tablespoons of lime juice and one tb of parmesan. I think that the black beans make it work. or not!

I usually have either quinoa or mixed rice (wild , brown, long grain) in the fridge and roasted vegetables so that is super quick. if needed I can add some chicken breast chunks in peanut sauce.

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2020 4:57 PM

Salad w/ some bread. If I've been to Trader Joe's, I usually get a Pasadena Salad to have on hand.

by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2020 5:53 PM

Get a rotisserie chicken (unlesd you have precooked on hand), egg noodles, chicken broth, fresh soup veggies; make delicious semi-homemade chicken noodle soup in minutes. This is easy comfort good. You can sub rice, dumplings or diced potatoes for the noodled and get creative with the veggies.

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2020 6:01 PM

Peanut butter and lettuce on toasted wheat bread.

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2020 6:03 PM

This is what salads and sandwiches are for. If I don’t have sandwich fillings like coldcuts or leftover meat on hand, I’ll rummage through the pantry for a can of tuna. Egg salad is also easy to make with ingredients on hand.

The above is basically like having lunch for dinner, so don’t forget breakfast can make a good dinner too. Omelettes are great but so’s a stack of pancakes with bacon or sausage.

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2020 6:05 PM

[quote]get creative with the veggies.

No one who uses "veggies" as a word gets creative.

by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2020 6:16 PM

Cream of Sum Yung Man.

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2020 7:20 PM

It’s Sum Yung Guy idiot.

by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2020 7:30 PM

So almost every one of these is “making dinner”. If it’s more than one ingredient or involves a recipe, that’s “making dinner”. Heating up a microwave dinner. Maybe throwing a love of chicken or fish in stove - unseasoned, un”prepared”. Adding or mixing ingredients = “making dinner”.

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2020 7:34 PM

A sandwich, fried eggs, PB&J, frozen dinner, can of soup, Korr Pasta or Rice with a little bit of added meat, can of chicken breast chunks which I always have on hand made into chicken salad, a bowl of cereal.

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2020 7:51 PM

Quick dinner: Buy fresh ravioli pasta (spinach) and a jar of bolognese. Boil the ravioli until ready, warm up the sauce and combine. Done in 5 - 10 minutes. This is the only food I buy that is pre-made.

Hamburger patty and toast - season the hamburger while it is cooking and toast a couple of slices of bread and butter. Done in 5 minutes.

If I'm really lazy I'll make a peanut butter (crunchy) and honey sandwich. Done in 1 minute

Totally lazy is cereal: cornflakes, milk, sugar Done in 30 seconds

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2020 8:08 PM

R33 buys his Parmesan in green cans.

by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2020 8:12 PM

[quote]If I've been to Trader Joe's, I usually get a Pasadena Salad to have on hand.

That salad is as close to crack as a salad can get.

by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2020 10:49 PM

[quote]Maybe throwing a love of chicken or fish in stove

R31 What's a "love of chicken..."

by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2020 5:59 PM

This crockpot recipe: 1 box Zataran's jambalaya mix 2 1/2 cups water 1 large can diced tomatoes 4-5 Andouille sausages cut into chunks Cook on low for 3 - 3 1/2 hours Add about a pound of raw deveined shrimp and cook 30 minutes more

Or i'll get some really good sausage and grill and then stick asparagus in the oven under the broiler for 7 minutes tossed with olive oil and sea salt. Serve some grated parmesan over it. Or skip the asparagus and sautéed some bell peppers in olive oil.

Both are really easy.

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2020 6:05 PM

A California version of the old British "Beans on Toast."

Sour dough toasted, served with refried beans along with some mashed avocado and chopped tomato (or pico de gallo) and shredded cheese on top. If you're lazy, the fried egg in this photo might be beyond your motivation level.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2020 9:52 PM

I love Whole Foods organic mozzarella sticks. I usually have my own homemade marinara sauce around so I just pop 2 or 3 sticks (they are quite chubby sticks) in the oven, pop some of my sauce into the microwave and I have dinner. If I'm really hungry I send out to a nearby restaurant for a cheeseburger deluxe. I'm not much into pizza or Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 39January 22, 2020 10:58 PM

Frozen vegetables. The local grocery store carries a package sufficient for 2. My favorite is the California mix; cauliflower, carrots, broccoli and brussel sprouts. A dash of salt, onion power, garlic powder and into the microwave for 4 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 40January 22, 2020 11:03 PM

Pulled pork on a toasted bun & potato chips.

by Anonymousreply 41January 22, 2020 11:05 PM

Marinara and pasta. Also see below.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 22, 2020 11:10 PM

Prawns from my manmade lagoon and homemade water by Martha Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 43January 22, 2020 11:11 PM

One-pan roasted salmon with broccoli (both frozen) seasoned with lots of herbs, lemon and garlic, or lentil and tomato soup. Both done in less than 30 min and very little clean up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2020 11:13 PM

Put a variety of vegetables and perhaps some chicken, beef, pork on a sheet pan. Add some peanut sauce and roast until tender. It's not work

by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2020 11:16 PM

"Spag Bol" is popular in England. So, maybe they have more pre-made Bolognese sauces available than in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 46January 22, 2020 11:20 PM

[quote]Gashouse egg (aka toad in the hole)

Also a favourite of mine but gashouse eggs and toad in the hole are two different things, although non Brits sometimes use the names interchangeably. Toad in the hole is actually Yorkshire pudding with sausages embedded in it. Usually served with onion gravy.

I grew up calling it bird in a nest, but my favourite name is Betty Grable eggs!

by Anonymousreply 47January 22, 2020 11:22 PM

Using a large lettuce leaf, sliced rotisserie chicken, avocado, cucumbers rolled with or without pepper-jack cheese with Italian dressing. Ideal for the summer when it's too hot to cook.

by Anonymousreply 48January 22, 2020 11:26 PM

So much fussing

Just buy one of those pre-made theme salads from TJs or WFs (e.g., "Southwest Chopped Salad") add in a precooked piece of salmon, chicken breast or steak, either store-bought or leftovers--cut into slices and throw raw almonds in to balance the macros.

Done and you have two or three meals out of it.

And R8, you don't even need to waste an extra bowl to scramble the eggs--you can scramble them in the pan if you're just mixing it all together (do that for breakfast most AMs.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 22, 2020 11:26 PM

The $1 Top Ramen cup noodles, jazzed up a bit with whatever leftover vegs are in the house and a chunk of tofu, plus hot sauce, garlic and salt or soy sauce (they recently lowered the salt in the included flavor/veg/oil packets). About 5 min start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 50January 22, 2020 11:29 PM

I wish someone would give me a good recipe for gashouse eggs. Does the bread have to be extra large ?

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2020 11:30 PM

Amy's mac and cheese

by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2020 11:33 PM

[quote]you don't even need to waste an extra bowl to scramble the eggs--you can scramble them in the pan if you're just mixing it all together (do that for breakfast most AMs.)

That's lazy and disgusting. I shake my eggs with cream and salt in an old Talenti container. I can't imagine your version of "scrambled" eggs.

by Anonymousreply 53January 22, 2020 11:35 PM

Taco Bell but I'm more of a Wendy's man.

by Anonymousreply 54January 22, 2020 11:37 PM

R46, unless I'm mistaken, the "spag bol" eaten as simple home cuisine in the UK doesn't use bolognese sauce as Italians and Americans understand it. The sauce for spag bol is, I think, usually just an ordinary red tomato sauce with meat. In the US, we'd call it meat sauce.

by Anonymousreply 55January 22, 2020 11:37 PM

Scrambled eggs

by Anonymousreply 56January 22, 2020 11:38 PM

Doordash

by Anonymousreply 57January 22, 2020 11:38 PM

Any Trader Joe's frozen Indian entrees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2020 11:40 PM

Mug of tomato soup and grilled cheese.

I make lentil soup and freeze it, and/or small containers of chili.

I will sometimes roast three or four chicken breasts, and freeze them, so I can use them in a salad, or as an entree with baked potato & steamed broccoli. It's fast & easy.

Bacon & eggs with wheat toast

Go to frozen: Coconut Shrimp or a frozen pizza

by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2020 11:45 PM

R31 is right. There's way too much cooking in this thread to meet the OP's original question. The issue isn't so much the simple cooking itself, but the cleanup. Boil water for pasta = pasta pot to be washed. Heat sauce = ditto. Salad = big bowl or plate + utelsils to be washes. Sure, you can put them in the dishwasher, but you still have to rinse them off, and then later empty the d/w.

The closest I can come to making something for dinner at home that's not "making dinner" would be bacon or toaster-over-grilled hot dogs and Bush's pork and beans, accompanies by toast.

But, really OP, if I I don't feel like even basic cooking, I just get carryout from one of the many local restaurants that offer it. If I'm home and don't want to go out ... what R57 said. In other words, the question really doesn't come up often.

by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2020 11:45 PM

Canned protein shake. Why are you idiots listing recipes?

by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2020 11:46 PM

Greek yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2020 11:47 PM

R55, this BBC recipe for spaghetti Bolognese (I googled "recipe spag bol") looks pretty involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 22, 2020 11:48 PM

Simple takeout is the answer, OP. Anything else, including boiling pasta or making Kraft mac and cheese, is "making dinner".

I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, so our standard local carryout is a pizza-cheese steak-hoagie place. There's one on every corner, practically. I have different favorite places for different items, all of them quite close. All of them deliver. So there's really no reason to force myself to so much as turn on the stove (except to reheat the pizza or cheese steak) if I really don't want to cook anything.

by Anonymousreply 64January 22, 2020 11:50 PM

I have an Instant Pot for those days. Don't laugh. They're fucking great for good easy meals. I have a quinoa, chicken, broccoli recipe that takes less than 5 minutes to prep and like 30 to cook. A few other equally easy recipes I use often.

by Anonymousreply 65January 22, 2020 11:53 PM

CAN O FOOD aka Chef Boyardee anything, such as spaghetti and meat balls! Bellissimo!

by Anonymousreply 66January 22, 2020 11:55 PM

When I cook I usually make enough to freeze a couple of servings, and add fresh vegetables or a salad.

But my go-to-meals otherwise are an omelet or a quick risotto with some shrimp.

by Anonymousreply 67January 22, 2020 11:58 PM

My own cum

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2020 12:04 AM

Halloumi or tuna salads are quick to throw together and very filling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2020 12:05 AM

"Canned protein shake. Why are you idiots listing recipes?"

NOT SATISFYING in the least.

"When I cook I usually make enough to freeze a couple of servings"

I need to go back to that, thanks for mentioning, R67. I make chicken soup and freeze several portions. That is, several low sodium chicken broth (bought), veggies, onion and garlic, two rotisserie chickens. FREEZE in small ziplock containers which will be thrown out after. Don't try to wash those things - they'll stink until 2099.

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2020 12:06 AM

Pussy and crackers

by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2020 12:06 AM

Cock juice

by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2020 12:11 AM

Just larger than the egg, R51. Cut a hole out of the center of the slice of bread. then melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Pan-toast bread and cutout on 1 side in skillet until golden. Flip bread and cutout over. Melt a small piece of butter in the hole in the bread, crack an egg into hole, and cook until egg is set. Flip it for a few seconds if you prefer over easy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with toasted cutout for dipping in the yolk

by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2020 12:15 AM

[quote] That's lazy and disgusting. I shake my eggs with cream and salt in an old Talenti container. I can't imagine your version of "scrambled" eggs.

That's because you're a member of the Order of the Mincing Prisspot of the Maiden Aunt Brigade R53

Right down to the fact that you felt compelled to point out that it was an old *Talenti* container.

DLCAS (Datalounge Class Anxiety Syndrome) at its finest.

PS: If you scramble the eggs in the pan as your adding the vegetables it comes out exactly the same as if you use a whisk. You would not do that for an omelette, but for a quick meal there's no real difference in taste or texture (you're combining the eggs with one or two vegetables plus cheese, which is gloopy on its own) and, as per R60, one less pot to clean up.

by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2020 12:23 AM

After my 4th Martini, I don't feel like making dinner, evah, so I usually have a sleeping pill or two then drift off. No need for dinner, dahlings.

by Anonymousreply 75January 23, 2020 12:26 AM

Grubhub has never failed me.

by Anonymousreply 76January 23, 2020 12:28 AM

Soup and sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2020 12:29 AM

No, MyMillennialMoron, I use the Talenti because it's clear. I mention it so you can picture me using a clear container. Your sweeping class analyses are one of your most ridiculous features (and you have many ridiculosities).

by Anonymousreply 78January 23, 2020 12:30 AM

R77 is a hobo. WTF is Grubhub R76?

by Anonymousreply 79January 23, 2020 12:31 AM

And the words "a clear container" would have been shorter and easier than "Hiss!! I usssseee a Talenti container! No basic frau ice cream for me. I am a klassy gay and I eat the $4 gelato. It's Italian, you know. No! It's gel, like shaving gel, not Gell! Some people!!!"

by Anonymousreply 80January 23, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote]If you scramble the eggs in the pan as your adding the vegetables

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 81January 23, 2020 12:33 AM

You really have lost your shit, MyMillennialPoopPerdu.

by Anonymousreply 82January 23, 2020 12:34 AM

GrubHub, DoorDash, UberEats and Postmates are food delivery apps R79, they all bill themselves as the "Uber of food delivery" as they employ their own staff of freelance delivery people who pick up the food for you.

They probably don't make money, a la Uber, but they're life changing in that many restaurants that never offered delivery will now deliver because the services do it all for them.

As a consumer the advantage is they communicate well via the app "we're getting the food in 10 minutes// We're picking it up//We're on our way and will be there in 5 miuntes//We're in the lobby

by Anonymousreply 83January 23, 2020 12:37 AM

YourMillennialFriend = 21 century version of White Belt Man.

by Anonymousreply 84January 23, 2020 12:37 AM

Gruyere cheese omelet with chives.

Just kidding. Ramen, Progresso soups, mini ravioli (Chef Boyardee).

by Anonymousreply 85January 23, 2020 12:42 AM

All you would have to do is look at my monthly Door Dash tab. It would tell all.

by Anonymousreply 86January 23, 2020 12:42 AM

Ditto R86. I usually avoid it during the week but weekends, when there are two of us, it's far too tempting.

by Anonymousreply 87January 23, 2020 12:45 AM

the correct answer is r14

by Anonymousreply 88January 23, 2020 12:53 AM

My neighborhood bakery makes killer garlic toast. Put cheese slices on top, broil in the toaster oven till the cheese has melted. Crunchy, gooey, garlicky, cheesy - yum.

by Anonymousreply 89January 23, 2020 1:09 AM

I'm fascinated that one would buy someone else's garlic toast.

Or bread, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 90January 23, 2020 1:17 AM

Do you make all your bread, r90?

by Anonymousreply 91January 23, 2020 1:20 AM

Cheerios and almond milk

by Anonymousreply 92January 23, 2020 1:22 AM

Not feel like making dinner? ... Those are the evenings when I make certain my clients understand that "the boyfriend experience" means they'll be preparing a gourmet dinner for me. If they'd rather take me out, then I'll need to know the restaurant. .. Similarly, room service at the hotel might be acceptable as long as current reviews show 4+ stars.

by Anonymousreply 93January 23, 2020 1:26 AM

And how many stars do YOUR current reviews show, whore at R93?

by Anonymousreply 94January 23, 2020 1:45 AM

Pancakes Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 95January 23, 2020 2:01 AM

I make Cream of Wheat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 23, 2020 2:05 AM

I have the easiest and tastiest standby. Beans on toast! Sauté garlic, rosemary needles and some red pepper flakes in olive oil. Add a can of black beans and salt/pepper. Serve on plain toast, or spread crushed garlic and salt on toast.

Super simple but tastes great. Serve with fried or scrambled egg.

by Anonymousreply 97January 23, 2020 2:25 AM

Tinned spaghetti

by Anonymousreply 98January 23, 2020 2:26 AM

r84, White Belt Man was before my time. I take it he was a bad person.

by Anonymousreply 99January 23, 2020 2:26 AM

Peanut butter toast and tea.

A sandwich chips and a mug of soup

by Anonymousreply 100January 23, 2020 2:47 AM

Can of tuna; can of chopped "Italian-style" tomatoes (packed in olive oil); a can of chick peas.

Mix, sprinkle with a cheese like feta.

by Anonymousreply 101January 23, 2020 3:05 AM

I'm appalled at how many of you guttersnipes eat Chef Boyardee and tinned spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 102January 23, 2020 3:14 AM

r101 NO.

by Anonymousreply 103January 23, 2020 3:15 AM

Sorry but I think Kraft mac n cheese( thick and creamy is a must but I still add more cheese) and Hamburger Helper is very easy to do. Boil the water. Put the pasta in and stir a few times and drain and that’s it. HH you don’t even have to do that. The Velvetta brand is even easier because the cheese sauce is already made. YoI just stir it in.

Another that takes almost no effort is my favorite. Polish sausage , fried or roasted potatoes and frozen broccoli with cheese and I also add more. Slicing potatoes is a chore but taste so good it is worth it. Walmart has a Marketplace brand roasted potatoes that is delicious. This weekend I’m craving it and I’m trying to eat better so I bought turkey polish sausage couldn’t find any already cooked roasted potatoes and I’m having roasted broccoli who heat in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 104January 23, 2020 3:46 AM

Tonight I got Panda Express orange chicken with chow mean. So salty, I feel really fat now. But delicious.

by Anonymousreply 105January 23, 2020 4:35 AM

Microwave popcorn is pretty simple. And if there's any left over, you can have it for breakfast the next day. Just put some maple syrup on it, and it won't seem stale.

by Anonymousreply 106January 23, 2020 5:03 AM

Omelet

by Anonymousreply 107January 23, 2020 5:25 AM

I forgot to add since I couldn’t find any already cooked roasted potatoes I bought those mashed potatoes smiley faces that I may put a tiny amount of butter on.

The only thing I can tolerate Chef Boyardee Is ravioli. It is about the only company that sells ravioli with meat inside. I’m afraid to ask what it is made of I add something to the sauce because it is so bland I put cheese on top and heat in oven and it’s not bad. . I like the spaghetti and meatballs (another mystery meat) but however I cook it the pasta almost disappears.

by Anonymousreply 108January 23, 2020 5:26 AM

This thread made me look up on line how to cook scrambled eggs. I watched a panel to determine which was the best Gordon Ramsey (goes against everything I have learned ) and Jamie Oliver( the way I learned to do it recently and liked very much). I can’t believe they picked Ramsey's.

by Anonymousreply 109January 23, 2020 5:32 AM

An egg sandwich. Mayo, salt, pepper, lettuce, tomatoe, Tabasco sauce. Done.

by Anonymousreply 110January 23, 2020 5:42 AM

R109 Several years ago, I saw Ramsay do his scrambled eggs on some TV show. I was surprised as well, but decided to try it.

I now make them that way .. lol!

by Anonymousreply 111January 23, 2020 6:05 AM

Omg.

by Anonymousreply 112January 23, 2020 6:52 AM

I want to Rey ram-dom ( not it’s real name) from the movie Parasite. Of course, I can’t afford the very expensive beef..

by Anonymousreply 113January 23, 2020 6:58 AM

I cook them Jamie Oliver English style, how I've always done it

by Anonymousreply 114January 23, 2020 11:14 AM

Cheerios.

by Anonymousreply 115January 23, 2020 11:17 AM

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 23, 2020 11:19 AM

I open a can of red beans in chili sauce, pour over nachos, top it with shredded monterey jack cheese, microwave, season, eat with a cold beer.

by Anonymousreply 117January 23, 2020 11:49 AM

I keep a few of those cheapie microwave burritos in the freezer, throw some taco sauce and a bunch of cheese on it and microwave. That's about as easy as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 118January 23, 2020 11:52 AM

R90, that bakery's been in business for over sixty years. Several of my siblings have worked there over the years. It's owned by one of the kids we grew up with, who worked for the original owner and bought it from him after he retired. They're practically family to the whole neighborhood, which is why everyone loves them and why they've been in business so long.

After my dad died and left my mom with eight kids, the owner of the bakery hired one of my brothers and sent home baked goods with him nearly every night. He knew we were hard up, and we really appreciated it (especially the brownies and donuts, which were a treat for us).

by Anonymousreply 119January 23, 2020 1:24 PM

Classic German Eintopf. One Pot. Usually take some meat that's around, slice it up, mix it with baked beans, or sauerkraut, or rotkohl, or grunkohl if I have it, and let it all warm up very slowly. I tend to buy a couple of small smoked Hungarian pork loins from Bende and have them in the freezer, they work very well. Otherwise, dinner franks or smoked sausage from Daisy Brand (the best in the world!), Just heat it up, pour it in a bowl, and voila!

by Anonymousreply 120January 23, 2020 1:47 PM

r30, shouldn't it be Sum Yung Gai?

by Anonymousreply 121January 23, 2020 2:37 PM

Anyone old enough to feed themselves should have a couple of basics in the pantry and in the cupboard to throw together dinner in minutes.

by Anonymousreply 122January 23, 2020 2:55 PM

I often have homemade chicken soup in my freezer. It only takes a little time to make matzo balls, or toss in some egg noodles and vegetables. I always have a pâté on hand, crackers, olives, pickles, and cheeses; sometimes if it's late and I'm having (too much or too many) wine or cocktails, I'll just nosh on these and "cook" nothing.

I'm also not above tinned beans, soup, or fish. If I need something warm, fried matzo made with the egg and onion matzo is quick and comforting.

by Anonymousreply 123January 23, 2020 3:29 PM

Didn't the OP say "don't feel like making dinner"? Does that mean sauteeing, marinating, braising, broasting and broiling?

by Anonymousreply 124January 23, 2020 4:47 PM

Poached eggs on rice with tobasco sauce. I have automatic cookers each for the eggs and the rice, prep takes 2 mins, press the buttons, ready in 20.

by Anonymousreply 125January 23, 2020 4:59 PM

Toast and popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 126January 23, 2020 5:23 PM

My Korean friend turned me on to these things and oh.my.god. To die for. And they only take 3 minutes in the microwave. Trust me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 23, 2020 5:27 PM

R124, I like to do a simple chicken paillard over either quick-sauted greens or a lightly-dressed salad with lemon wedges and some kind of toasted nut on top.

Or, when I don't feel like making dinner but since I'm adult and have to eat, I'll do those big plate-sized savory dutch pancakes and use up leftovers from the fridge, then put a fried egg on top. It's a favorite of our household, when I don't feel like cooking but still cook.

by Anonymousreply 128January 23, 2020 5:28 PM

Not humble bragging although you'd think so. We have a country house and I can't tell you how many of our city guests (queens) volunteer to make Sunday brunch and then instruct us on how to make tender scrambled eggs. I'm not joking. We just politely listen. Yummm.

by Anonymousreply 129January 23, 2020 5:56 PM

r129, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

by Anonymousreply 130January 23, 2020 6:12 PM

[quote] I like to do a simple chicken paillard over either quick-sauted greens or a lightly-dressed salad with lemon wedges and some kind of toasted nut on top.

by Anonymousreply 131January 23, 2020 6:20 PM

Plop one-third of a package of Trader Joe's precooked lentils into a bowl. Drain a can of Kirkland chicken breast, add, plop in a couple of spoonfuls of mayo. Add a couple of tablespoons of garam masala and a handful of dried fruit. I like dried mangoes but I also love craisins, which I always have in the house. Makes a couple of servings.

by Anonymousreply 132January 23, 2020 6:21 PM

R130 because this is a discussion about easy dinners and scrambled eggs was a part of this.

You should just order a pizza

by Anonymousreply 133January 23, 2020 6:23 PM

[quote] a can of Kirkland chicken breast

A can?

Chicken breast in a can?

by Anonymousreply 134January 23, 2020 6:24 PM

A bottle of merlot and a pint of Ben and Jerry's

by Anonymousreply 135January 23, 2020 6:25 PM

This thread has a subplot about making scrambled eggs, dear...

R111, I just tried Ramsey’s recipe and it make me feel I have been eating over cooked eggs my entire life. Although it is confusing. Ramsey has several videos and he does different things in each. The one I saw added some kind of cream I never heard of ( looked like sour cream) didn’t have it and didn’t use it.

by Anonymousreply 136January 23, 2020 6:28 PM

R129, you’re an idiot and your post doesn’t even make sense.

by Anonymousreply 137January 23, 2020 6:28 PM

[quote]Makes a couple of servings.

Of what, R132? Chicken and lentil slop???

by Anonymousreply 138January 23, 2020 6:30 PM

It does sound gross. The word "plop" isn't helping.

by Anonymousreply 139January 23, 2020 6:33 PM

My 2p: Ramsay's a hack. One doesn't need cream for proper scrambled eggs, if he's familiar with the preferred French "fore and aft" method. A good knob of butter, low heat, and you're there. Fuck Ramsay.

by Anonymousreply 140January 23, 2020 6:39 PM

The Kirkland brand of canned chicken is actually very good. I wouldn't suspect it was from a can if someone served me chicken salad made with it.

by Anonymousreply 141January 23, 2020 6:40 PM

Pizza! Pizza! Pizza!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 23, 2020 6:43 PM

This thread has turned into the DL Galloping Gourmet.

by Anonymousreply 143January 23, 2020 8:29 PM

Spaghetti and Olive oil with garlic - While 1/2 lb spaghetti is boiling heat 1/4 C olive oil and gently saute 2-3 cloves of garlic and a pinch of red pepper in a large frying pan. Don't allow the garlic to burn. When the pasta is almost done using tongs pick the pasta up out of the water and add to the frying pan with the olive oil and garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes on medium low heat to get the pasta to absorb some of the oil. Toss with parm cheese and fresh parsley. My favorite!

by Anonymousreply 144January 23, 2020 8:49 PM

R143 - first thing I made was Spaghetti Carbonara after seeing Graham Kerr make it on a noontime cooking program!

by Anonymousreply 145January 23, 2020 8:50 PM

R83 YourMillenialFriend is such a Mansplainer

by Anonymousreply 146January 23, 2020 8:52 PM

If I have some but not a lot of inspiration I go with spaghetti and frozen meatballs cooked in store bought sauce. If I have even less motivation to cook, then it’s frozen pizza, and if I am feeling like completely worthless white trash, then it’s a bowl of captain crunch cereal and maybe a ding dong or a hoho.

by Anonymousreply 147January 23, 2020 9:02 PM

ROTFLMAO -- Gordon Ramsey's "How To Scramble An Egg" video, the one with almost 40 million views, advocates scrambling the eggs in a pan. (There is no mention of a jar, Talenti or otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148January 23, 2020 10:41 PM

From Ramsay's website:

Crack 6 cold eggs into a deep saucepan.

Add the butter. For smaller batches, use a 2-to-1 eggs-to-butter ratio.

Put the pan on high heat.

Stir continuously with a rubber spatula—don't whisk—making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.

After 30 seconds, take the pan off the heat. Keep stirring. After about 10 seconds, put back on the heat. Repeat for 3 minutes.

In the last minute, season the eggs lightly. For extra creamy texture, stir in 1 tsp of crème fraîche.

Plate and garnish with chopped chives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 23, 2020 10:44 PM

Seriously, MyMillennialMoron, if this is what makes you roll on the floor laughing your ass off, maybe you need to talk to someone. And not about cooking.

by Anonymousreply 150January 23, 2020 10:49 PM

There's a lot of cooking going on for not feeling like making dinner.

by Anonymousreply 151January 23, 2020 10:52 PM

I looked up French scrambled eggs and they used a double boiler.

by Anonymousreply 152January 23, 2020 10:54 PM

I hate NorwegianCatholics!

by Anonymousreply 153January 23, 2020 11:05 PM

I saw one of Julia's shows once in which some American woman who wrote a French cookbook showed Julia The Only Way To Make Scrambled Eggs. Cooking them slowly was the main thrust of her process. "If it takes you less than half an hour," she stated, "you're cooking them too quickly."

As if.

by Anonymousreply 154January 23, 2020 11:11 PM

It has recently come to my attention that I love to-ast.

by Anonymousreply 155January 23, 2020 11:39 PM

Those scrambled eggs that take forever to cook are really smooth, like cream of wheat. I prefer actual curds in my scrambled eggs (Mary!).

My method: crack eggs into a bowl. Add a splash of water. Use a fork to scramble. Olive oil or Pam spray in non-stick pan. Medium/low heat. Pour eggs into pan. Let the eggs set up (cook) a bit. Use a spatula (or whatever you like) to push the cooked, bottom layer to the sides of the pan. Let raw egg flow into the middle of the pan to cook. Keep on doing that until it's as done as you want it.

You can also put cheese into your mixture. If your eggs are room temp, add the cheese in right away. If you're working with cold eggs, add the cheese in after eggs have set up a bit.

by Anonymousreply 156January 23, 2020 11:53 PM

I’ll do scrambled eggs for 5 minutes but over 30 minutes is not ever going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 157January 23, 2020 11:54 PM

[quote]Microwave popcorn is pretty simple. And if there's any left over, you can have it for breakfast the next day. Just put some maple syrup on it, and it won't seem stale.

Memo to self: Don't stay for breakfast at R106's house.

by Anonymousreply 158January 24, 2020 12:19 AM

Fairy Toast and canned potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 159January 24, 2020 12:20 AM

When I don’t feel like cooking, I open and drain a can of tuna, squirt some sriracha sauce on it, grab a fork, and enjoy my dinner.

by Anonymousreply 160January 24, 2020 12:34 AM

Crackers with peanut butter or soup . But I've pretty much lost 90 percent of my appetite. I generally go days having a few small morsels. I just don't get hungry anymore.

by Anonymousreply 161January 24, 2020 12:39 AM

Do you know why this is happening to you R161? I hope it's not serious and if it's contagious I wish you could come and breathe on me. Seriously, I hope you feel better and can enjoy what you eat, even if it's just a little.

by Anonymousreply 162January 24, 2020 1:01 AM

I’m trying to will myself to get up ( I guess I have the winter blues still haven’t recovered from the holiday blues) and fix an egg sandwich on toasted bread cooked in the same pan with Nestle’s Quick. I wish I could fix the egg sandwich like in movie V is for Victory but I have tried many times and gave up.

by Anonymousreply 163January 24, 2020 8:09 AM

R146 That's one name for him I suppose. I have others.

by Anonymousreply 164January 24, 2020 8:35 AM

Club Fancypants: Always with some paté on hand, (and lemon wedges and some toasted nuts on top). "Oh, Jeffrey just called to say he's left work and should be home in a few hours, he's bringing some white wine from our favorite shop, and some of that divine super-crusty bread from Il Forno, and stopping by Johnnie's to pick up some organic arugula from his garden, and then three roast pigs from the charcuterie because, well, I'm peckish, oh, and some fresh flowers just flown over, and for dessert, well he says it's a big surprise! So simple!"

Club Disgusto: Bizarre pregnancy cravings and trailer trash recipes of stuff found between seat cushions of a sofa. Chef Boyardee ravioli or lasagna? Pam spray? (why not just borrow a can of mother's AquaNet and give you food hold and poison?) Shrimp cooked for a half hour? Tined spaghetti? Frozen individual portions of shrimp and spaghetti? All that peanut butter and peanut butter and jelly? Kirkland chicken in a can?

by Anonymousreply 165January 24, 2020 10:30 AM

R162 Thanks I don't think it's contagious haha. I'm not entirely sure why but I think it's just that I've just had a rough few years and it's been difficult to enjoy much of anything. Occasionally I will make a nice pasta dinner for myself however.

by Anonymousreply 166January 24, 2020 2:20 PM

Just open up a canned whole chicken!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167February 2, 2020 9:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168February 2, 2020 9:38 PM

More delicious treats in a can!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169February 2, 2020 9:43 PM

Cottage cheese and buttered noodles.

Cook noodles Melt a large wad of butter and mix with noodles Add cottage cheese, mix and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 170February 2, 2020 10:16 PM

R170 I had a Slovak friend at University who made a similar dish, she added bacon and bacon grease in lieu of butter. Delicious, but very heavy, and a food coma would always ensue! I've seen various renditions on this theme...some with sour cream, others with nutmeg and smoked sausage. Are you Czech or Slovak?

by Anonymousreply 171February 2, 2020 10:50 PM

Tonight I was really tired and had a portion of Grape Nuts with milk and 2 string cheese things. Prep for it, 1.5 minutes. Sometimes I get really tired of spending 2 + hours making a meal that takes at most 30 - 40 minutes to eat. I start to think, WTF!

by Anonymousreply 172February 3, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote] When I don’t feel like cooking, I open and drain a can of tuna, squirt some sriracha sauce on it, grab a fork, and enjoy my dinner.

R160, be sure to save the water or oil that's drained out of the tuna can for any cats you know -- if they're not around right now, you can freeze it until the next time you see them. It's good for them and they love it.

by Anonymousreply 173February 3, 2020 2:10 AM

I can't believe people actually eat canned chicken. It looks offal. A couple of times a month, usually Saturday afternoon or Sunday, depending how I feel, I cook. I'm talking about roasting chicken and veggies or making a loin pork roast and veggies, or a beef pot roast, or soup, chili, etc. Or I'll roast several chicken breasts. I portion it out in individual servings, put it in freezer bags, and I have stuff ready to go on the nights ...or days I don't feel like cooking. I don't do fast food and the only snack-ish things I have is crackers and canned tuna.

by Anonymousreply 174February 3, 2020 2:46 AM

I grill some flank steak and bag salad.

by Anonymousreply 175February 3, 2020 2:51 AM

^bag salad to go with the flank steak, I don't grill the bag salad.

by Anonymousreply 176February 3, 2020 2:52 AM

frozen pizza or sometimes I'll get take out from a taco place down the street from my house.

by Anonymousreply 177February 3, 2020 3:05 AM

earrings

caftans

gin

regret

by Anonymousreply 178February 3, 2020 3:30 AM

R168 That looks like something out of a horror movie 🤢

by Anonymousreply 179February 3, 2020 4:33 AM

Grilled cheese sandwich, and either lentils or tomato soup.

by Anonymousreply 180February 3, 2020 5:39 AM

I do fast food. Door dash. Either order pizza or Micky D's. Sorry. No point in lying.

by Anonymousreply 181February 3, 2020 2:51 PM

r174, I don't usually keep canned chicken but I can vouch for the Kirkland canned chicken. It is good. I usually pick out the chicken from canned soup because it's gross and rubbery, but can eat this stuff.

I made chili last night for the Superbowl. I used canned tomatoes and beans. It took all of 10 minutes to put together and then sat on low heat on the stove until I was ready to eat it, but I could have eaten it within 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 182February 3, 2020 3:03 PM

OK. Stagg steakhouse chili is always in my cupboard. It is the best damned chili in the world. I might add just a little bit of garlic powder, and chili powder and cayenne pepper, maybe a tiny bit of cumin. But honestly you don't have to add a thing.Nada. It's good straight from the can. Just dump it in a bowl maybe throw some shredded monterey jack cheese on it, and nuke it in the microwave. Sometimes I'll chop up some onions and cherry tomatoes to put on top with the melted cheese. WTFever. Delicious. And I don't eat canned meat, but I make an exception for this. Oh. Don't forget the chips. Any kind of corn chips.

by Anonymousreply 183February 3, 2020 5:01 PM

We're all gonna die....

by Anonymousreply 184February 3, 2020 5:07 PM

R183 I'll have to give that one a try. I'm not familiar with the brand.

by Anonymousreply 185February 3, 2020 5:11 PM

Canned salmon stew. I saute butter in some olive oil and marinate minced garlic, onion and tomatoes for several minutes. I season the salmon with sazon seasoning, garlic and onion powder with some adobo and black pepper. Add the salmon to the oil and butter, let it simmer on medium to low flame for about 20 minutes, and add a scotch bonnet pepper. I make enough to last a week and eat it over rice.

Delicious and easy. Always my go-to.

by Anonymousreply 186February 3, 2020 5:20 PM

Omelet, oatmeal with blueberries, avocado toast, grilled cheese. I eat like this quite often now.

by Anonymousreply 187February 3, 2020 5:53 PM

So, even though this thread is for ideas for when you "don't feel like making dinner," some of you still go through a lot of trouble to fix something.

by Anonymousreply 188February 3, 2020 6:04 PM

I don't count "making dinner" as something that can be fixed in 10-15 minutes. I don't want to have to order out out all the time, either.

by Anonymousreply 189February 3, 2020 6:08 PM

A bag of baby carrots and several vodkas-on-the-rocks.

by Anonymousreply 190February 3, 2020 6:24 PM

[quote]I can't believe people actually eat canned chicken. It looks offal. A couple of times a month, usually Saturday afternoon or Sunday, depending how I feel, I cook. I'm talking about roasting chicken and veggies or making a loin pork roast and veggies, or a beef pot roast, or soup, chili, etc. Or I'll roast several chicken breasts. I portion it out in individual servings, put it in freezer bags, and I have stuff ready to go on the nights ...or days I don't feel like cooking. I don't do fast food and the only snack-ish things I have is crackers and canned tuna.

This is a thread about what to eat when you don't feel like cooking. Kirkland canned chicken is pretty decent and, it looks quite like canned tuna, which you don't seem to mind.

by Anonymousreply 191February 3, 2020 7:44 PM

R170-that sounds like a bare basic version of haluski or halupki, which my Slavic mother made. Buttered egg noodles, sautéed onions, sautéed green cabbage and cottage cheese. Pure comfort food for me.

by Anonymousreply 192February 3, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote] ... I can't believe people actually eat canned chicken. It looks offal. ...

R174, the word "offal" is a noun that refers to the edible innards of animals and fowl, such as liver, kidney, heart, gizzard, brains, etc. Though many people do find offal to be distasteful, the term is not synonymous with the adjective "awful", which means "terrible", "disgusting", etc. I've seen canned chicken and don't think that it resembles offal, nor does it look awful -- just kind of boring.

by Anonymousreply 193February 3, 2020 8:19 PM

R192 That sounds delicious as well... comforting too, and probably a bit healthier.

by Anonymousreply 194February 3, 2020 8:36 PM

Toast or popcorn

by Anonymousreply 195February 3, 2020 8:36 PM

R194-it's so easy to make. (It's also called halushki. There are a lot of "ki" dishes in Slavic culture.) Add the cottage cheese at the very end. As a kid I would just pile it on throughout the meal.) Some people add mushrooms, but that's blasphemy!

by Anonymousreply 196February 3, 2020 8:44 PM

My cousin Tabitha’s recipe:

Boil up some noodles

Can of tuna

Cream of mushroom soup

by Anonymousreply 197February 3, 2020 8:51 PM

I know perfectly well what offal means. I used it facetiously. IMO offal is shit. That's exactly what I meant.

by Anonymousreply 198February 3, 2020 8:52 PM

Crackers, hummous, crudités.

by Anonymousreply 199February 4, 2020 8:38 AM

Crusty French bread with a hunk of sharp cheddar.

by Anonymousreply 200February 4, 2020 9:11 AM

Raisin bran cereal with skim milk and sweet n low.

by Anonymousreply 201February 4, 2020 9:24 AM

We called it Halushka. Slowly cooked thinly sliced onions, cooked in lots and lots of butter until the onions turn golden brown. 2nd pan has thinly sliced tender cabbage (discard outer leaves) sauteed in butter slowly until lightly browned. Wide egg noodles are boiiled in a large pot until al dente. Drain noodles and add the onions with butter and cabbage with butter. After thoroughly mixed, taste and add more salt and some grinds of pepper. Pour onto a large platter. sprinkle with fresh chipped parsley. If you wish serve up some bratwurst on hearty rolls. I have a special brat recipe.

by Anonymousreply 202February 4, 2020 9:47 AM

baby mozzarella + cherry tomatoes +canned pesto + baguette

by Anonymousreply 203February 4, 2020 4:00 PM

R202 The addition of the fresh parsley sounds quite refreshing. I'm curious about your Brat recipe; do you make your own sausages? If you do, do you add a bit of dried ginger?

by Anonymousreply 204February 4, 2020 4:27 PM

A friend of mine would also add carrots to haluski. It was off recipe, but proved a nice addition. Here's a recipe. But it MUST be topped with cold cottage cheese. Don't ruin it by going low fat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205February 4, 2020 8:28 PM

Hamburger Helper- stroganoff

by Anonymousreply 206February 4, 2020 11:09 PM

Tuna helper

by Anonymousreply 207February 5, 2020 12:29 AM

YOur cabbage dish sounds delish, but it's too much like cooking for a thread about when you don't feel like making dinner. Gotta be honest. I eat too many eggs. BEcause my "go to" is an omelette or scrambled eggs with cheese and toast. Ever since I was a little kid toast has been our #one comfort food. Cheese toast, peanut butter and toast, toast and butter and marmalade, etc. I love toast. I love biscuits, I love English muffins slathered in butter, but most of all it's toast. It takes two minutes to cook eggs and toast. So that's what I do when I don't feel like making dinner.

by Anonymousreply 208February 5, 2020 12:59 AM

Frittata with grape tomatoes and cheese. Start on the stove and finish under the broiler.

by Anonymousreply 209February 5, 2020 1:05 AM

Meat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210February 5, 2020 1:09 AM

I will grill a quesadilla. I put some cheese between two tortillas and whatever I have in the refrigerator, but it's usually spinach, peppers and onions. Sometimes beans or chicken or tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 211February 5, 2020 1:12 AM

Big Latino Cock

by Anonymousreply 212February 5, 2020 1:28 AM

Loco Moco

I always have rice in the pantry. Usually have packets of brown gravy, but making it is easy, too, since I have flour and bullion cubes. And there are always eggs in the refrigerator. Super fast (unless I use the rice cooker, which, inexplicably, takes forever), savory, and lots of protein.

by Anonymousreply 213February 5, 2020 1:36 AM

[quote]an old Talenti container.

I was excited by this reference even before everyone's favorite bore checked in with his negative opinion. I love those damn things! Great for mixing and for storage. I use them most frequently for making salad dressing, proofing yeast, and blending eggs (for french toast, for omelets, for baked goods, for breading things, for everything!).

As for the OP's question: I boil some water, put it in a bowl with some couscous and cannellini beans, add seasoning. Might throw in some red onion and bell peppers if I've got them.

by Anonymousreply 214February 5, 2020 2:02 AM

Spam sandwiches

by Anonymousreply 215February 5, 2020 2:13 AM

Sorry but noodles, cabbage and cottage cheese sounds fucking vile. Not to mention your house smells like farts.

by Anonymousreply 216February 6, 2020 5:17 PM

R167 and R168 That's what they serve in jail. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 217February 6, 2020 5:18 PM

A bowl of beans, maybe with some toast or a piece of cornbread. Very nutritious, low in fat, high in plant protein, filling, affordable, sustainable.

by Anonymousreply 218February 6, 2020 5:56 PM

Thank you, r216. Nothing smells worse than cabbage as it is cooking. I can't go anywhere near it. And cottage cheese looks so disgusting—white diarrhea—I have never eaten any.

by Anonymousreply 219February 6, 2020 5:59 PM

Apparently, R217 speaks from experience.

by Anonymousreply 220February 6, 2020 6:00 PM

I had a very quickly made gray sole tonight. I would usually dredge it and do it in a pan but I tried to just bake it with lemon zest, juice and butter and it was delicious and no carbs from the flour. It took about 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 221February 7, 2020 12:11 AM

I had salmon that I coated with sea salt and cracked black pepper that I did under the broiler set on high. for about 15-20 minutes I also broiled some asparagus with olive oil and sea salt for about 7 minutes. Minimal effort, quite tasty and very healthy.

by Anonymousreply 222February 7, 2020 12:16 AM

R216 I suppose it was nice of you to say "sorry" first, but it's still rude to crap, or perhaps in your case, fart on others' yum. Cabbage is very healthy, and many different cultures enjoy it. I don't suppose you cook Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, or other cruciferous vegetables out of fear your house shall smell of sulphur. Sounds as if someone is afflicted with baby tastes to me.

by Anonymousreply 223February 7, 2020 12:31 AM

Huge bowl of salad with chickpeas or beans, served with some bread.

Prepared in 5 minutes or less and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 224February 7, 2020 12:42 AM

R222, are the vegetables broiled with the salmon or prepared separately? I usually bake salmon but it takes 35 / 40 minutes. Is broiling quicker?

by Anonymousreply 225February 7, 2020 12:46 AM

R225-Broiling is quicker. Like I said, about 20 minutes on high-but it might take 5 minutes longer depending on how done you like your salmon. I put the salmon in first, and when it has around 7 minutes left to go, I slide it to the side and pop in a sheet pan with asparagus. We like our asparagus with some crunch, so depending on how you like yours, you may leave it in 2-3 minutes longer. Play with the times, and see what works for you. It's a pretty easy dinner. An added note: I put tinfoil down for both so that when it comes to clean up, I just throw away the foil. It makes washing the pans really easy.

by Anonymousreply 226February 7, 2020 12:57 AM

R223-I agree. That was rude. I'm glad you're a fellow haluski lover and defender! We shall enjoy our comfort food in peace!

by Anonymousreply 227February 7, 2020 1:00 AM

Haluski requires more effort/pans than something to do when you don't feel like making dinner.

by Anonymousreply 228February 7, 2020 1:03 AM

R228-not really. It's just sautéing onions and cabbage in the same pan (start the onions first, then add in the chopped cabbage( and boiling some noodles in a pot. It's phenomenally simple. I depends on what your idea of an easy dinner is. For some people take out or delivery is the best option - or something prepared from the store.

by Anonymousreply 229February 7, 2020 1:09 AM

R225-I forgot to add that I occasionally sub out the salmon for some good sausages from the butcher. Same procedure-under the broiler, turn once, a separate pan of asparagus toward the end.

by Anonymousreply 230February 7, 2020 1:10 AM

Corn Chex

by Anonymousreply 231February 7, 2020 1:11 AM

[quote] I boil some water, put it in a bowl with some couscous and cannellini beans, add seasoning. Might throw in some red onion and bell peppers if I've got them.

R214, I'm assuming you're using canned cannellini beans. What brand do you use? (I can't find a good brand of canned white beans, all too mushy.) TIA!

by Anonymousreply 232February 7, 2020 1:12 AM

R227 He doesn't know what he's missing out on. More for us.

by Anonymousreply 233February 7, 2020 1:14 AM

R233-we'll get extra cottage cheese.

by Anonymousreply 234February 7, 2020 1:16 AM

r232, I usually buy Bush's. There's a brand with firmer beans available at Nature's Own, but I can't remember the name.

by Anonymousreply 235February 7, 2020 2:55 AM

[quote]I usually bake salmon but it takes 35 / 40 minutes.

That is some wildly overcooked salmon. Ten minutes per inch of thickness is all you need for fish.

by Anonymousreply 236February 7, 2020 2:58 AM

You can prepare a bunch of dry cannellini beans yourself (thereby controlling the mushiness) and freeze them for quick meals.

by Anonymousreply 237February 7, 2020 4:10 AM

A salmon filet and Brussels sprouts, roasted in the toaster oven.

15 minutes at 350 on a sheet of foil.

Fast, cheap, satisfying, minimal waste, no cleanup.

by Anonymousreply 238February 7, 2020 4:41 AM

[quote]Corn Chex

R231, your simplicity is refreshing after all of these concoctions of cabbage and fish and cheese curds and noodles, and whole-meal-iin-a-can abortions on a plate.

Likewise R211 with his simple quesadilla of things on hand ( fitting things, not some awful concoction of everthing but the kitchen sink.)

by Anonymousreply 239February 7, 2020 5:18 AM

[quote]your simplicity is refreshing after all of these concoctions of cabbage and fish and cheese curds and noodles, and whole-meal-in-a-can abortions on a plate.

Some of these meals left me wondering how elaborate their inventors get when they [italic]do[/italic] feel like making dinner.

by Anonymousreply 240February 7, 2020 8:44 AM

My favorite petit déjeuner is hot buttered cock.

by Anonymousreply 241February 7, 2020 8:51 AM

Pasta Risotto with Peas and Pancetta, it's from Nigella Lawson's Nigellissima, surprisingly easy and tasty!

pancetta, frozen peas, orzo pasta

olive oil, butter, black pepper, salt, garlic (optional), grated parmesan (optional)

one pot, minimal preparation, 15~20 mins, done!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242February 7, 2020 10:55 AM

found Nigella Lawson's cooking show for the pancetta risotto, starting on 23 min mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243February 7, 2020 11:10 AM

A peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich on dill rye bread with potato chips and Guinness.

by Anonymousreply 244February 7, 2020 12:31 PM

A quesadilla or eggs or beans on toast.

by Anonymousreply 245February 7, 2020 1:05 PM

OMG, Grandma's spinach and beans. Take fresh or frozen spinach (I prefer fresh, because you have to literally squeeze all the moisture out of the frozen) and it's less than ten minutes: Olive oil in your skillet, crushed garlic, saute it gently, don't let it burn, then add the spinach, toss in the hot olive oil add cherry tomatoes cut in half, and cannellini beans drained and washed. cover it, remove it from the heat, add grated pecorino Romano and serve.

by Anonymousreply 246February 7, 2020 2:33 PM

R246 I do something similar. Steam spinach and then squeeze it dry. Melt butter and saute garlic. Add the spinach and pre-cooked shrimp and warm everything together. Quick and healthy scampi.

by Anonymousreply 247February 8, 2020 2:00 PM

Well, I stay away from frozen spinach. I've found fresh works best and it's faster. I just saute' in crushed garlic and olive oil, ass my beans, once the beans are heated, add the cherry tomatoes, salt pepper to taste, toss them a bit, cover, remove from heat. Done. Ten minutes. Add the grated cheese and all you need is some garlic bread if you want, and you're ready to feast.

by Anonymousreply 248February 8, 2020 9:47 PM

R248 "ass my beans" sounds like something you do in a K hole.

by Anonymousreply 249February 8, 2020 10:03 PM

scrambled eggs and turkey bacon

OR

grilled cheese and tomato soup

by Anonymousreply 250February 8, 2020 10:16 PM

I meant "Add my beans" not "ass my beans..." LOLOL!

by Anonymousreply 251February 9, 2020 12:40 AM

Eggs is a great go to meal for something quick, healthy and loaded with protein and with a million different ways to prepare, most still quick and simple.

by Anonymousreply 252February 9, 2020 1:18 AM

R248 If you "ass your beans" perhaps you don't need the cheese.

by Anonymousreply 253February 9, 2020 2:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254February 9, 2020 2:36 AM

Now I'm embarrassed to give out my salmon & rice recipe. Rice (have a rice cooker) and half a can of pink salmon. Handful of shredded cheese on top.

by Anonymousreply 255February 9, 2020 6:06 AM

R255, why not double the amounts of rice and cheese, and use the whole can of salmon? Then freeze half of the completed dish for the next time you don't feel like cooking? Otherwise, what do you do with the unused half can of salmon?

by Anonymousreply 256February 9, 2020 7:18 AM

Many years ago, r256, I had a friend who had a recipe for chili that called for only half of a green pepper. So he threw the other half out.

by Anonymousreply 257February 9, 2020 7:21 AM

Lately, I've been craving ramen noodles. I don't add the whole seasoning packet (too salty), but I add garlic powder, hot sauce, a packet of Instant Ginger tea (pure powdered ginger), and finish it off with a splash of sherry vinegar and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil.

by Anonymousreply 258February 9, 2020 7:33 AM

Just had it: Store Rotisserie Chicken Marsala. Boiled the pasta water while I chopped up onions and sliced mushrooms to saute. Added packaged Marsala sauce and some extra Marsala wine. Finished cooking the Campanile pasta and cut up some of the chicken. Stirred everything together in a large Le Creuset braiser.

Or else I do what I did Friday and get a mushroom pizza at a restaurant quite near me.

by Anonymousreply 259February 9, 2020 7:48 AM

R5, Add a can or two of Rotel Hot Diced Tomatoes to your Rice and Beans for perfection!

by Anonymousreply 260February 9, 2020 7:50 AM

R259 here. The "omelette" post made me realize that Scrambled Eggs and Toast is actually my real go-to meal when I'm tired.

by Anonymousreply 261February 9, 2020 7:53 AM

R19, It's called "Shrimp Scampi" (if you omit the tomatoes). Shrimp, lemon juice, white wine, garlic, parsley, pasta.

by Anonymousreply 262February 9, 2020 7:56 AM

I want to make ram-dom as seen on Parasite. I looked it up and this all I figured out. Called something else in Korea you mix two kinds of noodles ramen and some other kind of noodles. Ramen is sold everywhere of course but couldn't find instant of the other kind..also you shouldn't add two much of one of the seasoning packets. Also the dish isn't usually served with expensive meat like in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 263February 9, 2020 8:25 AM

[quote]Shrimp Scampi

Cleaning shrimp is the last thing I want to do when I don't feel like making dinner.

by Anonymousreply 264February 9, 2020 11:12 AM

Some grocery stores sell raw shrimp that's been de-shelled and deveined, R254. Ours does. A good go-to recipe for me is 1 box of Zatarans jambalaya rice mix, 1 large can diced tomatoes, 2 cups water, about 4 cut up Andouille sausages. Cook on high in crock pot for 3-4 hours. At the last half hour, add about 1/2 to 1 pound raw shrimp. Very easy. The only thing you have to do is cut up the sausage, and you can ask the butcher to do that. In that case, literally all you have to do is open a box and a can.

by Anonymousreply 265February 9, 2020 1:53 PM

You can buy peeled, de-veined frozen shrimp. Usually pretty inexpensive and a good thing to keep in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 266February 9, 2020 2:07 PM

r263 "Ram-dom" sounds like some new sexual fetish.

by Anonymousreply 267February 9, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote]Campanile pasta

Oh, dear. (or "Mamma mia!"

I assume you meant campanelle. (A campanile is a bell tower.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268February 9, 2020 2:09 PM

r265, using a crockpot makes it even less of a thing I'd want to do when I don't feel like cooking. 99% of the time that's the case, it's because I'm hungry: I want something now, not in four hours. However, if I were to engage in your four-hour cooking process, I'd use regular shrimp, as I'd have 3.5 hours to peel and devein them.

Someone gave me a crockpot in 2015. I have never used it.

by Anonymousreply 269February 9, 2020 2:12 PM

I buy some already chopped chickenfilet and a package of frozen vegetables. Fry the chicken in some sesame oil, add the vegetables and some liquid. Let simmer for-i don´t know 10 minutes.

Seasoning varies ( curry powder, soy sauce etc.) depending on my mood. If i´m not too lazy i cook chinese noodles ore rice.

by Anonymousreply 270February 9, 2020 2:22 PM

I wonder if anyone has ever considered doing without a stove altogether. There a re so any small appliances, and so any options to get take out, I wonder sometimes if I could do with out it. I was tempted to get one of those Instapots or air fryers, etc. but then my sister said single use appliances are stupid. She's always been a bully...

by Anonymousreply 271February 9, 2020 2:23 PM

Instant Pots (not "instapots") are called MULTI-cookers because they're not "single-use appliances."

by Anonymousreply 272February 9, 2020 2:28 PM

I use my crockpot all the time during winter. You have to plan ahead, but it's really nice having a meal ready at night. Usually the prep is pretty minimal. To each their own. For me, it's been a very useful tool. I have a friend who uses his Instant Pot all the time.

by Anonymousreply 273February 9, 2020 2:30 PM

[quote] ... I had a friend who had a recipe for chili that called for only half of a green pepper. So he threw the other half out.

Even though green peppers are cheap, I couldn't bear to do that. If you don't have pet chickens or a backyard that's frequented by birds and squirrels, go for a walk near a creek and sprinkle the chopped up leftover pepper where the pieces will be found by waterfowl, possums, coons, skunks, etc. Or dice it, wrap well in a plastic bag, and freeze -- the pieces won't be crunchy when thawed, but fine for use in cooked dishes (soups, stews, scrambled eggs).

by Anonymousreply 274February 9, 2020 2:35 PM

I'll also sometimes do a simple London broil with roasted potatoes and a steamed green vegetable. Nothing could be simpler and it's really delicious.

by Anonymousreply 275February 9, 2020 3:35 PM

R268, Yikes on me! And I've visited some of the finest campaniles!

by Anonymousreply 276February 9, 2020 4:55 PM

hot dish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277February 9, 2020 5:00 PM

I cooked a white bean and spinach soup yesterday and had it for lunch today too so for dinner I am going to have a can of tuna w/chopped pickles and green Olives and scoop it up with sunchips. I am pretty sure that wins the white trash award for the thread

by Anonymousreply 278February 9, 2020 11:19 PM

Those frozen shrimp are a staple for me now R266. You can toss them in wuth a can of diced tomatoes and serve them over angel hair pasta, or make quick shrimp tacos. Even if I only have 5 or 6 left I save them to throw in with ramen noodles for a quick lunch or supper.

by Anonymousreply 279February 10, 2020 11:07 AM

I always have cooked frozen shrimp and a salad kit in the house.

Otherwise a piece of whole grain toast with a fried egg with a slice of fried tomato.

by Anonymousreply 280February 10, 2020 11:17 AM

Even uncooked frozen shrimp cook up very quickly. You can just boil/steam them with Old Bay and serve them with cocktail sauce and some vegetables for a quick, low-calorie, healthy meal. Maybe a side of quinoa, rice, or potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 281February 10, 2020 4:24 PM

Grubhub

by Anonymousreply 282February 10, 2020 4:51 PM

Why don't you just cook stuff and put individual servings in the freezer for the times you're either broke or don't have the time or interest in cooking something? That's what we do.

by Anonymousreply 283February 10, 2020 6:18 PM

In the winter, it's doctored up soup with bread (or pita) & hummus..

In a pot, I saute' whatever vegetables I have in a little olive oil: onions or peppers or tomatoes or beans or spinach or zucchini or mushrooms. Usually I use two vegetables so it's a little better than canned soup.

I add a little garlic or sage or oregano or black pepper. If I have turkey sausage or diced chicken I throw it in. Saute' that too.

Then I add a can of soup with the amount of water recommended, plus another can of water. Let it heat till it's almost boiling and the flavors blend.

by Anonymousreply 284February 11, 2020 2:02 AM

EggMcMuffin.

by Anonymousreply 285February 14, 2020 5:03 AM

Ramen: add green onions, broccoli, frozen shrimp, soft boiled egg. Sesame oil and Sriracha.

by Anonymousreply 286February 14, 2020 9:47 AM

Cereal.

by Anonymousreply 287February 14, 2020 11:58 AM

I open a can of black beans, rinse and drain them, make a quick salsa from tomatoes, garlic, chopped onion, and cilantro, with a splash of lime juice. throw some corn chips and melted cheese and that's it.Maybe a beer to go with it. Takes to minutes to prepare and it's filling.

by Anonymousreply 288February 14, 2020 12:43 PM

con un po' di panna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289February 24, 2020 1:05 AM

Pasta with melted cheese, olive oil and ground black pepper.

by Anonymousreply 290February 24, 2020 1:09 AM

Scrambled eggs, avocado and a slice of toasted rye or half of a bagel.

by Anonymousreply 291February 24, 2020 1:10 AM

Haagen-Dazs Strawberry Ice cream

by Anonymousreply 292February 24, 2020 1:13 AM

I make soup almost every day when it isn't hot outside. Very simple basic method that starts with butter, onions, broth (vegetable, chicken or beef), heavy cream or whole milk, salt and pepper. Broccoli/cheese, cream of onion, potato/bacon, butternut or acorn squash, corn chowder, sweet potato, carrot/ginger, many others, and they are always a little different, depending on what I have in the refrigerator.

In the summer, it's a lot of cold soups -- some combination of yogurt, cucumber, dill, celery, asparagus, or gazpacho, cold tomato bisque, often with shrimp or some kind of seafood.

It's so easy to be creative with soup. Yes, I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 293February 24, 2020 2:03 AM

r289 That's my favorite Talenti flavor too. But I don't add the panna. I tried making my own sorbet a couple of times, and it comes out pretty good (I have an ice cream machine with a built-in freezer), but it's not worth all of the trouble, and it actually ends up costing MORE than just buying it.

by Anonymousreply 294February 24, 2020 2:16 AM

Raisin bran with milk

by Anonymousreply 295March 18, 2020 2:47 AM

I always have frozen meals in my freezer.

Although I will also buy a bunch of dips and a sleeve of crackers and that will be my easy ass dinner.

by Anonymousreply 296March 18, 2020 2:55 AM

Salad. I always have mixed greens.

by Anonymousreply 297March 18, 2020 2:56 AM

Soft butter on saltines

by Anonymousreply 298March 18, 2020 3:03 AM

Potato and egg. Not fancy, but filling, and it works for me for any meal; breakfast, lunch, simple dinner, or snack.

Baked (or boiled or microwaved) potato

Squeeze it to break it open and put it in a hot, dry skillet.

Break an egg on the open part of the potato, cover the skillet and cook a few minutes until the egg is cooked how you like it.

I like the yolk partially cooked but with enough liquid to moisten the potato a bit. You can add butter if you want.

Surprisingly, this works for a relatively low-carb diet, as a large baked potato generally has around 30 grams of carbs. Not strictly ketogenic, but if you keep the rest of your carbs low for the day, this works. For me, it's filling, satisfying, and stays with me long enough that I'm not hungry again in a couple of hours.

by Anonymousreply 299March 18, 2020 6:19 AM

I just had eggs r299. scrambled with spinach and cheese. good bread toast and some hoity toity breakfast sausages that had WAY too much flavor. like, too meaty flavored. I like the cheap ones.

by Anonymousreply 300March 18, 2020 11:21 PM

I need to stop eating. I'm stressed and this seclusion shit is making me do"self care" so I'm eating. Good healthy things, but too much.

by Anonymousreply 301March 19, 2020 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!