Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Academy members viciously reveal why Lopez, Sandler, Murphy got snubbed from Oscars

Acting legend Terry Moore has one piece of advice for Jennifer Lopez, after the A-lister was snubbed for an Oscar nomination this week: “Get over it.”

Besides, the 91-year-old, who was nominated in 1952 for a best-supporting actress award for “Come Back, Little Sheba,” believes Lopez’s performance — which was widely expected to garner a nomination — was overrated.

“I would have been shocked if she did get it,” sniffed Moore, a longtime member of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Services who votes on Oscar nominees and was once married to Howard Hughes.

Shockwaves rippled across social media this week when the Academy Award nominations were announced and several actors who were anticipated to make the cut didn’t. Among them: Adam Sandler for “Uncut Gems,” Eddie Murphy for “Dolemite Is My Name,” Awkwafina — who recently took top honors at the Golden Globes for “The Farewell” — and, yes, Lopez.

But Hollywood, apparently, was not surprised. After all, they’re the ones who didn’t vote for their dejected peers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310January 29, 2020 5:23 PM

“First of all, ‘Hustlers’ is not an ‘Oscar movie.’ It’s a little too rough around the edges, and I’m assuming some other people in the acting category didn’t see it,” said a longtime character actor and Academy member. “Florence Pugh seems to have gotten the J. Lo spot — maybe because ‘Little Women’ is a prestige movie and she’s a bright, new star.

“Actors tend to think of Jennifer Lopez as a phenomenon more than an actress, per se. [It’s like last year, when] Lady Gaga lost the Oscar to Olivia Colman — a real actor’s actor.”

And even those who enjoyed Sandler’s much-lauded performance in “Uncut Gems” said there remains a skepticism in Hollywood about viewing him as a serious actor.

“That [performance] was a tour de force. He’s emerging as a truly great actor, but then he does cheesy Netflix comedies that are really dumb,” said the character actor.

He admitted that, as with “Hustlers,” some voters may not even have bothered to watch Awkwafina’s “The Farewell” or Sandler’s “Uncut Gems,”

“There are a lot of movies, a lot of performances per year for us to watch. Unfortunately, actors become brands. Sandler’s brand doesn’t scream ‘Oscar,’ but Leo Di Caprio’s and Jonathan Pryce’s do,” the character actor said, name-checking 2020 nominees for “Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood” and “The Two Popes,” respectively.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2020 1:43 PM

Last month, Sandler may have rubbed some of them the wrong way when he joked on Howard Stern’s show: “If I don’t get [the Oscar], I’m going to f–king come back and do [a movie] again that is so bad on purpose just to make you all pay.”

“There was an arrogance to [Adam],” huffed a voting member. “It’s a lack of respect.”

In 2013, The Post wrote about insiders being miffed that Sandler was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the organization behind the Oscars. Calling Sandler and fellow inductee Beyoncé “unworthy,” one insider said: “They’re talented in their own ways, but is that what the Academy is about?”

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2020 1:43 PM

“Sir, a woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all.”

And so it is when an Adam Sandler or a Jennfier Lopez acts.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2020 1:51 PM

I believe this is likely why Sly Stallone lost a couple of years ago. Though the performance was widely praised and he did get the nomination, in the end Academy voters just couldn’t go through with it.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2020 1:54 PM

The Academy reflects the collective thoughts, prejudices, biases, bad attitudes, etc. of its members.

Remember in 2005 when Brokeback Mountain failed to win Best Picture, because some mental midget has-been like Ernest Borgnine couldn't wrap his pea brain around a movie that involved MTM sex.

My point being don't expect a lot of forward thinking from a lot of huge assholes, which is why, outside of Hollywood, nobody pays any attention to the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2020 2:06 PM

"...outside of Hollywood, nobody pays any attention to the Oscars."

Except for DLers and the rest of frau America.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2020 2:09 PM

Not vicious enough, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2020 2:14 PM

"Acting legend" Terry Moore?

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2020 2:16 PM

I would rather hear Terry Moore talk about her hunky costars instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2020 2:37 PM

[quote]“First of all, ‘Hustlers’ is not an ‘Oscar movie.’ It’s a little too rough around the edges, and I’m assuming some other people in the acting category didn’t see it,” said a longtime character actor and Academy member. “Florence Pugh seems to have gotten the J. Lo spot — maybe because ‘Little Women’ is a prestige movie and she’s a bright, new star.

She was the "safe choice" for those who didn't want to go with JLo. If she were that popular and promising, she would have been nominated for the Globe, SAG, and have collected at least one major critics award along the way. She's a filler nom who will lose to Bates or Dern.

I'd have more respect for these voters if they weren't such cowards when it came to admitting the real reasons behind their choices.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2020 2:42 PM

"said anonymous character actor..." Yeh that sounds reliable

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2020 2:44 PM

And redundant.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2020 2:45 PM

J Lo was great for J Lo. Period.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2020 2:50 PM

I once had a character actor scream at me that we plebes were LUCKY that they even ALLOWED the riff-raff to watch the sainted Academy Awards, that they were on television to bring JOY to our POOR, DOWNTRODDEN HEARTS and to stop complaining about them or else they would take them away.

So I 100% believe that they are quoting a real Academy member. I'd bet a majority of those stuffy old hens sound just like the anonymous actor who was quoted.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2020 2:56 PM

Awkwafina reacts to not being nominated:

“Bottom line, there were some amazing performances this year. I think all of them are warranted, as they should’ve been. That’s not also to say that we can’t ignore the fact that there were some incredible movies that women helmed, including mine, ‘The Farewell,’ so me, personally, I feel very grateful for where I am, where we’ve come,” she said. “I think there’s always more work to be done, of course. I think I’ve had a pretty exciting ride and I think that with this show and with the movies that we’ve seen this year, representation existed in those movies. … But in terms of anything else, I can’t be more grateful to do what I love to do and to be recognized a little bit for that; it’s enough.”

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2020 2:59 PM

I'm getting so exhausted from the post-Oscar nomination outrage every. year. Enough. It's really turning me off the Oscars, in general.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2020 3:00 PM

I predict that the acting Oscars will go to Joaquin Phoenix, Renée Zellweger, Brad Pitt and Laura Dern.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2020 3:35 PM

What was so vicious about their remarks? A bit of a hyperbole, OP.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2020 3:39 PM

[quote]“Actors tend to think of Jennifer Lopez as a phenomenon more than an actress, per se. [It’s like last year, when] Lady Gaga lost the Oscar to Olivia Colman — a real actor’s actor.”

I just ADORE this comment!

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2020 3:44 PM

[quote]Remember in 2005 when Brokeback Mountain failed to win Best Picture, because some mental midget has-been like Ernest Borgnine couldn't wrap his pea brain around a movie that involved MTM sex.

Mary Tyler Moore was in Brokeback Mountain?!

I’ll have to watch that one.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2020 3:51 PM

I am in complete agreement with R16. It’s getting tiring.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2020 3:52 PM

Hustlers just wasn't that good.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2020 3:52 PM

They should cut the best movie category back to 5. These Hollywood types are like kindergartners who "graduate". "Everybody gets a star"! Also Laura Dern has become pretty one note. I used to like her but anymore she just shrill or the moral compass. And her expressions never change. She was the least compelling actor in Little Women and doesn't deserve an Oscar for that role.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2020 3:52 PM

Any category of five, number six ain't no cigar! All three probably polled in at six. There's no "overlooked" story here.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2020 3:59 PM

R5 things ARE evolving. Moonlight won best pic a few years ago. Personally I was thrilled to see they kicked Beyonce, Swift, Murphy and Lopez to the curb. With the influx of newer and younger members, the days of Borgnine type mentality are vanishing at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2020 4:03 PM

[quote]She was the least compelling actor in Little Women and doesn't deserve an Oscar for that role.

I haven't seen either yet and I don't know what she does or doesn't deserve, but Laura Dern was nominated for Marriage Story, not Little Women.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2020 4:13 PM

[quote]Awkwafina reacts to not being nominated...

Very smart handling of the situation.

She's demonstrating she's willing to play ball and will inevitably be rewarded.

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2020 4:24 PM

Jennifer Lopez is more Jlo, then she is Jennifer Lopez the actress. When she first came on the scene back in the 90s. She was looked at as a serious actress before she got into music and took on this glamorous Jlo persona. She had a real shot at becoming something serious in Hollywood, and in the movie business.

But now, she's just Jlo. And being Jlo has made Jenner Lopez a very wealthy woman. She's more concerned with how she looks and her glamorous extravagant ostentatious lifestyle and getting "the check", then she is about being a serious film actress.

People told her nearly 20 years ago, that becoming Jlo could ruin people's perception of her as an actress. But she went that route anyway. That Jlo lifestyle and the fame and chasing that paycheck, is why people do not take her seriously as an actress any longer, the way they might have when she was just an actress back in the 90s.

But being Jlo has worked out pretty well for her though. She should probably just stick to being Jlo now. I think she prefers that persona, over serious Jenner Lopez the actress.

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2020 4:31 PM

There is no serious Jennifer Lopez, the actress.

There’s only serious Jennifer Lopez, the Oscar-wanter.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2020 4:38 PM

Meanwhile, Australia is burning down, women are treated worse than cattle in some countries, children are starving, people don't have proper medical care.

Your paycheck is your reward for your work. Don't steal thunder from real problems of the world.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2020 4:46 PM

Why is every fucking thread on DL about shit like this?

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2020 4:49 PM

The actors branch saw through her attempt at being a “serious “ actress. Hustlers is nothing more than a vanity piece to show off her body. How she won the LA film critics for supporting actress is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2020 4:51 PM

JLo was good but not Oscar worthy.

I've heard great things about Sandler in Uncut Gems, but he's spent the last 15 years making piece of shit comedies. He has no one to blame but himself.

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2020 4:53 PM

R33 yup . Murphy and Stallone lost their Oscars because 90 percent of the films they do are paycheck shit. Sandler will be making another one before long like he’s said.

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2020 4:56 PM

Sandler: I choose movies for vacations, not scripts.

You can't just decide you wanna be a serious actor after 15 years of crap. Has he made anything funny since 50 First Dates?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2020 5:03 PM

Oscars winners aren’t selected by merit—sometimes, it’s someone’s turn, or the voting members hate a certain nominee or the timing isn’t right. Movies directed by actors always get all the actor votes. Documentaries about show biz usually win (notice, none are nominated this year..)

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2020 5:18 PM

[quote]I predict that the acting Oscars will go to Joaquin Phoenix, Renée Zellweger, Brad Pitt and Laura Dern.

#OscarsSoWhite

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2020 5:30 PM

"Acting legend" Terry Moore???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2020 5:31 PM

[quote] Jennifer Lopez is more Jlo, then she is Jennifer Lopez the actress.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2020 5:34 PM

R34 That's exactly what they are. Paycheck movies. Done exclusively for the $$$. I don't watch those types of films anyway, because it's all garbage bullshit.

People like him shouldn't be allowed in the movie business. They fuck everything up.

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2020 5:44 PM

No surprise there. It’s always been that way. It’s always been a popularity contest, it’s basically a clique, actors vote for their friends and the people they like. Just as critics have their darlings who can do no wrong, the Academy does too, some actors can literally just take a shit on the screen and they will fall over themselves to praise them and give them every award. The line about Terry Moore being a “legendary actress” is hilarious, but at this point they call anyone who’s still alive from Hollywood’s Golden Age, LEGENDARY. I laugh every time I suddenly see Mitzi Gaynor being touted as a great legend on TCM, nobody gave a crap about her for years. The few people who did know who she was, had only seen her in South Pacific. They’re just kissing her ass now because there’s hardly anybody else left for them to interview from that era. Sadly, 99% of the truly big stars from back then are all gone.

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2020 5:44 PM

Adam Sandler I meant. Eddie and Stallone too. If your lazy about acting, then you shouldn't be in the business.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2020 5:46 PM

Hollywood is filled with a bunch of hacks.

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2020 5:47 PM

R15 This is how you respond to a snub in a classy way.

JLo’s desperation has guaranteed that she will NEVER, EVER get an Oscar! Not even if she plays a Trans Hooker with a heart of gold & AIDS who progressively ages through a 3-hr biopic directed by Sam Mendes and costarring Daniel Day Lewis. NEVER #oscarsneverjlo

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2020 5:47 PM

I like Stallone as an actor, even when he does B movies. Nowadays it's not politically correct to say but who cares?

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2020 5:49 PM

Fuck Stallone, hes a nasty Trump supporter. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2020 5:52 PM

[quote]I like Stallone as an actor, even when he does B movies. Nowadays it's not politically correct to say but who cares?

I don't think "political correctness" is really the issue here.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2020 6:01 PM

Agred R15 /R44. Awkwafina could've thrown a fit but she took the high road.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2020 6:06 PM

Very shrewd handling of the snub by Awkwafina. She’ll get hers eventually.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2020 6:07 PM

Don't worry, Jlo will be at the Vanity fair Oscars party afterwards, strutting her stuff on the carpet just as she was last year. In all her Jlo glory.

I think that's the part she really enjoys anyway.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2020 6:08 PM

When did the failure to win an Oscar nomination start to be characterized as a "snub"? It's such a clickbait word. Not that many years ago, no one used the word "snub" in writing about the Oscar race. Obviously there are only so many slots available. Of course, politics and popularity have always played a part in who gets nominated, and who wins, from the very beginning. But "snub" makes it sound as though Academy voters are out to stick it to certain people, as opposed to voting for the performances/films that most impressed them.

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2020 6:15 PM

There's always a hierarchy amongst actors groups. Prior to merger SAG actors looked down on AFTRA actors because SAG members had to qualify for membership and AFTRA members only had to pay the initiation fees to join. The AMPAS members looked down on them both because it is a more elite group who had to either be nominated for an Oscar to get an invite or be sponsored and have the body of work to qualify to be invited. It's ridiculous that when actors like Sandler wants to show another side of himself it's perceived as awards bait versus wanted to stretch himself. If he stayed in his lane and just did comedy then he's seen as lazy. After PUNCH DRUNK LOVE, REIGHN OVER ME and even THE MEYEROWITZ STORIES I thought people would see that he is serious about acting.

People can prognosticate all they want or try to scrye why the Academy is going to vote the way they are but there's no definitive reason based on those anonymous voters pieces that THR and other sites run. It's based on how they feel at the moment. I think Bradley Cooper lost out on director for A STAR IS BORN because only the directors branch vote on directors and they weren't going to put up an actor who had no previous directorial work. Laura Dern is great and all but her being a beloved member of the Board of Governors who is heavily involved in their work is likely the reason she gets nomination after nomination.

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2020 6:23 PM

They're right. I especially like the point brought up about Coleman winning over Gaga last year. The academy has recently started nominating "phenomenons" but at the end of the day the award goes to the real actors, not the aging pop stars playing dress-up.

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2020 6:24 PM

Would you black people make some fucking movies already and stop bitching? Why the serious fuck aren't like Kanye, Jay-Z, Beyonce, and Oprah getting together and starting a studio, if it's so bloody important? Did you SEE how all the white people jizzed all over Black Panther, even though it was mediocre and totally silly? You make a movie with a black director, producers, actors, and get it into theatres, you will be swimming in bullshit awards, you'll have awards up to your asses and start complaining about having too many goddamned rewards.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2020 6:24 PM

R54 Is a clear nazi racist. Thanks for outing yourself asshole.

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2020 6:31 PM

Nazi = anyone who disagrees with r55.

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2020 6:33 PM

R54 How dare you say Black Panther is anything but a paragon of cinematic excellence? You must be a Nazi Trump Supporting KKK Russian troll! It was robbed of Best Picture!

by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2020 6:34 PM

Black Panther was trash just like all the other Marvel white comic book trash. Superhero = dogshit

by Anonymousreply 58January 19, 2020 6:36 PM

You can say what you want. The Oscars are only hurting themselves by this ruthless snubbing of minority actors year after year. And the fact that these movies are making bank, shows how out of touch the academy is. Their ratings get lower year after year. 20 years from now they won't be able to win back the demographics they constantly said fuck you too. This isn't about tokenism, but minority actors have to go above and beyond to seal nominations. These movies are critically acclaimed, making money, yet still don't get the slot. Not to mention being nominated and winning in all the other major award shows. So what is wrong with the Oscars. They already jump the shark. No one respects them anymore anyways.

by Anonymousreply 59January 19, 2020 6:37 PM

Wasn't there a plan floated about 18 months ago to introduce an additional category but were the public voted for their most popular film as distinct from the best film award?Is that still in the pipeline?

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2020 6:39 PM

[quote] If your lazy about acting, then you shouldn't be in the business.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 61January 19, 2020 6:40 PM

What "desperation" did JLo show?

Did she give multiple interviews talking about how she really wanted to get an Oscar and how AMPAS should give it to her because she was fat when she was a kid like Kate Winslet did?

Did she pose for cheesecake "For Your Consideration" pics baring her breasts like Melissa Leo did?

Did she act like won the Nobel Peace Prize and take on an air of over self importance when getting pre-Oscar awards like Anne Hathaway did?

What desperation did she show? What she had PR people declare her a frontrunner for the award when the film opened? Wow! She did what 90% of the Oscar acting winners over the last twenty years have done!

Hardly desperation.

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2020 6:41 PM

I'm with R59. In fact, I say we start with this year's Oscars and give a long overdo performance the Best Actor award it deserves: Marlon Wayans for Scary Movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2020 6:41 PM

[quote]Wasn't there a plan floated about 18 months ago to introduce an additional category but were the public voted for their most popular film as distinct from the best film award?Is that still in the pipeline?

It's been put on hold but no doubt that plan was floated and supported by Disney as ABC airs the Oscars and Disney is the studio who is pissy that their comic book films aren't put up for Best Picture (other than Black Panther). I think now that Disney owns Fox they'll satisfy themselves with those films. Now what the Disney owned Fox slate will look like after everything that was in Fox's pipeline is filmed and released is another story.

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2020 6:42 PM

R59 Stay pressed, Hunty!

White 72.4%

Hispanic and Latino Americans (of any race) 16.3%

Black or African American 12.6%

Asian 4.8%

Native Americans and Alaska Natives 0.9%

Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders 0.2%

Two or more races 2.9%

Other 6.2%

by Anonymousreply 65January 19, 2020 6:42 PM

[quote]but at the end of the day the award goes to the real actors

Like noted thespians Sandra Bullock and Matthew McConaughey

[quote]When did the failure to win an Oscar nomination start to be characterized as a "snub"?

Bette Davis in Of Human Bondage. It caused such controversy that the Academy instituted a write in nominee for that year only.

by Anonymousreply 66January 19, 2020 6:43 PM

Really, r66?

That’s some fascinating shit.

(Not being snarky at all, either. I love historic tidbits like this.)

by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2020 6:47 PM

R66 You can stay as upset as you want that J-Ho will never win that Oscar (despite the labors of her ego), but McConaughey turned in a far better performance for Dallas Buyers Club then she did for her stripper movie.

by Anonymousreply 68January 19, 2020 6:49 PM

Thanks for those details r64

I wonder how long it will take for those plans to come to fruition?

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2020 6:49 PM

Is Jennifer Lopez the new Joan Crawford? Even though Crawford had already won an Oscar by the time she was Lopez's age.

by Anonymousreply 70January 19, 2020 6:54 PM

Wouldn't it be so funny if when Florence wins she pulls an Adele and says the award should've gone to Beyoncé for The Lion King?

by Anonymousreply 71January 19, 2020 6:54 PM

Don't get me started !!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 72January 19, 2020 6:59 PM

For years, minorities have had to deal with whites using Harvey Weinstein to get them the award. Especially the actresses, if you know what I mean.

Now that he’s no longer useful, they’re pissed because they don’t have any leverage.

by Anonymousreply 73January 19, 2020 7:09 PM

R73 ever go a day without playing victim?

by Anonymousreply 74January 19, 2020 7:13 PM

[quote]These movies are critically acclaimed, making money, yet still don't get the slot.

Isn't commercial success more important than awards? The only reason actors are desperate for awards is because it helps their brand. The various actors discussed here don't need that Oscars bump. The Oscars have an elitist reputation anyway. It's arguable whether being an awards contender really guarantees any long term success. For someone who toils away on mostly indie films like Joaquin Pheonix, the Oscars can give them a little bit of a bump, but otherwise it's not that big of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2020 7:14 PM

One thing is interesting about all this talk are that people are now blaming Academy voters rather than the entire country for snubbing their favorite films. Think of the irony. All these diverse films are successful because people across the entire political spectrum go see them. However, the Academy, which represents all that is virtuous, is largely dismissive of anything non traditional.

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2020 7:17 PM

And whats this I hear about many Academy winners not seeing the films, even some that eventually get nominated. Mafuckin blasphemy. We aren't talking about indie flicks here. Watch the fkin movies. Any voting member should be a movie connoisseur. It shows you how out of touch, and this is why no one no longer respects the oscars. In the old days, you can argue many oscar caliber films with minorities weren't produced, but nowadays they refuse to even watch the film. And not only with minorities, taboo subject matters well. Many of these old cunts refused to watch Brokeback and that was the most critically lauded film. Expect the ratings to drop again, dumb fucks You are only hurting yourself.

by Anonymousreply 77January 19, 2020 7:22 PM

my post should read academy voters not seeing the films.

by Anonymousreply 78January 19, 2020 7:25 PM

Where's MY nominationan?

by Anonymousreply 79January 19, 2020 7:26 PM

Yes, R17, we've all known who is going to win the four acting awards for over a month now.

by Anonymousreply 80January 19, 2020 7:26 PM

R52 Dern has been nominated three times since 1992. She’s hardly Streep. But she’s on a roll with her parts in films and TV shows from respected filmmakers. Regina King last year who won a totally underserved Oscar mainly based on her reputation and being on a roll also, Dern will be rewarded too come Oscar night. R53 GaGa was never going to lead actress. Most people picked Close, but Colman was the only one who posed a threat to Close.

by Anonymousreply 81January 19, 2020 7:28 PM

R81 going to win.

by Anonymousreply 82January 19, 2020 7:28 PM

R77 in the perfect world it would be that way. But people lead busy lives. How does anyone truly keep up with most films and the proliferation of streaming with 10,000 things to watch. Practically all voters tend to rubber stamp the globes and SAGS in an average year anyway. This year it’ll be even worse with the shortened awards season. If there’s a surprise winner I’ll be shocked.

by Anonymousreply 83January 19, 2020 7:33 PM

Awkwafina seems like a class act and I've enjoyed the performances of hers that I've seen. I think she's going places.

by Anonymousreply 84January 19, 2020 7:35 PM

In a perfect world, black people can be in and make just as many bad films as white people.

by Anonymousreply 85January 19, 2020 7:40 PM

Hey, Tyler Perry does it R85

by Anonymousreply 86January 19, 2020 7:41 PM

"I predict that the acting Oscars will go to Joaquin Phoenix, Renée Zellweger, Brad Pitt and Laura Dern."

Wow, way to go out on a limb.

by Anonymousreply 87January 19, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote]Sadly, 99% of the truly big stars from back then are all gone.

As far as pre-1960s A-Listers, I believe Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland and Sophia Loren are the only ones left.

by Anonymousreply 88January 19, 2020 7:59 PM

R41: Hear, hear! You summarized it well.

It's a self-congratulatory popularity contest for the movie industry. The voters pretend to be objective, but it's all politics and "whose turn is it this year" to win (Leo D. in Revenant). It's less about the nominee's performance than his/her likeability – and which actor campaigned the hardest. The Hollywood Reporter’s Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot series show how foolish Academy voters can be. In a specific category which requires their vote, many members don't even watch all the nominated movies. Some rely on their spouses and friends to tell them who to vote for.

Terry Moore was a forgettable starlet, not a star. It's absolutely ridiculous how often they use "legendary" and "iconic" to describe random celebrities. Will Adam Sandler and Pauly Shore be called legendary 50 years from now? RME.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 19, 2020 8:00 PM

[quote]In a specific category which requires their vote, many members don't even watch all the nominated movies. Some rely on their spouses and friends to tell them who to vote for.

I know this to be true.

by Anonymousreply 90January 19, 2020 8:21 PM

This ancient "Hollywood legend" Terry Whoagain has a slanted ignorant view of what kinds of movies and roles are Oscar worthy.

Whores - that's what gets the prize!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 19, 2020 8:32 PM

They should just make the Oscars a private movie industry event. Make it more like the governors ball awards. Do a red carpet and interview the stars, and release the name of the winners afterwards.

But just turn it into more of a private industry function and still have the Vanity Fair party afterwards too.

That's all I can think of to cut down on all of the crazy outrage, year after year. The ratings keep getting lower every year anyway, so why not make it a private event.

by Anonymousreply 92January 19, 2020 8:48 PM

Regina King swept the awards. It was only undeserved to you.

Dern just stepped down from heading up some branch of AMPAS. Coincidence?

by Anonymousreply 93January 19, 2020 9:02 PM

The ratings are low because the general public is unfamiliar with a lot of the nominated flicks and the winners are already predicted a month in advance.

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2020 9:04 PM

Does anyone think the ratings decline has anything to do with a host, or lack thereof?

by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2020 9:04 PM

That’s a good point, too, r94.

I watch after DVRing to skip through because most of the time I’ve never seen the movies nominated.

by Anonymousreply 96January 19, 2020 9:05 PM

People don't give a shit about movies like they did. I know I don't gaf, I couldn't name 10 movies that have come out since 2010. I wait till friends whose taste I respect tell me about a movie I need to see, and then I see it, and that does not happen often, at all.

by Anonymousreply 97January 19, 2020 9:07 PM

I stopped watching award shows because I was sick of the winners injecting every political message they could. I'm sick of hearing about women's equality, racism, and Trump. So, I , and countless others, who just wanted to spend a relaxing evening watching television, stopped watching all award shows with self-important "celebrities" lecturing abut everything from # MeToo to MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 98January 19, 2020 9:11 PM

The Oscars used to be an event, the only one like it on tv. Now, every week at this time, there is another award show. The Oscars have just lost their special place........... and Joan Rivers is dead.

by Anonymousreply 99January 19, 2020 9:13 PM

r60, that's a People's Choice Award. They've been around for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 19, 2020 9:13 PM

Pill-popping, amoral, often just stupid, malignant narcissist actors and actresses, telling the world how to think, and failing.

by Anonymousreply 101January 19, 2020 9:14 PM

Having an opinion about the Oscars is a substitute for reading or having a knowledge of art. Award shows make people feel cultured when in fact they are anything but.

by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2020 9:17 PM

R88 Yep. A Hollywood Reporter article about Kirk Douglas from 2012 mentions the leading men from that era all being gone. And the character actors they mention are dead now too. He’s the only leading man left now from that era. I would add Kim Novak to that list of female A-listers. Terry and Mitzi never came anywhere near the A-list, they were C-list even at the peak of their careers. They were third or fourth choice of casting directors when Debbie Reynolds was too busy. R89 Exactly! I’ve read so many of those “How I Voted” articles and the actors always admit that they never watched many of the screeners they get, and that they know so and so’s performance is better, but that they don’t care, they are going to vote for who they like as a friend, or who they feel deserves their due that particular year, or if they liked an actor’s campaign, it’s usually not based on the acting at all. So true, everyone becomes a “legend” and an “icon” if they stick around long enough. It’s a joke now.

Here’s the quote from the Kirk Douglas article and the link.

“ The most high-profile men of that period, even those from the tail end of it who rose to prominence during and immediately after World War II, have dwindled far faster than the women, and today number only a few. There’s Mickey Rooney, 91, who was a child star; Ernest Borgnine, 95, and Eli Wallach, 96, who were character actors; and Stanley Donen, 88, who was a choreographer and later a director. However, all of that generation’s leading men -- Robert Mitchum, Montgomery Clift, Gregory Peck, Van Johnson, Burt Lancaster, John Garfield, Laurence Olivier, Frank Sinatra, Richard Widmark, William Holden, Marlon Brando, and Glenn Ford -- are now gone, some for many years already.

All, that is, except for Kirk Douglas.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 19, 2020 9:24 PM

R93 King didn’t win at Bafta or Sag (screener issue here in her defense). So she didn’t clean sweep. In Beale Street, she had a rather nothing part. I’m not the only one that thinks this. Derns been working in the biz since early 70s. She deserves all her acclaim. Kings win felt like affirmative action at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 104January 19, 2020 9:27 PM

And a lot of people think Dern did nothing special in Marriage story either.

Just interesting that it’s suddenly “her turn “ to win after stepping down from heading a branch of AMPAS.

by Anonymousreply 105January 19, 2020 9:49 PM

She didn’t even step down. She’s still head of the governors branch!

by Anonymousreply 106January 19, 2020 9:52 PM

Nobody watches The Oscars anymore for two reasons:

1. They've lost their prestige due to the declining quality of the movies that are nominated (the fact that a remake of Showgirls starring J-Lo was even considered should say it all).

2. They're teeming with politics. Films are an escape for people. We're bombarded with Trump and MeToo and all of that shit every single day, we don't want to hear about it from an industry built on escapism, much less from people who get up on stage and scold us about political issues while wearing dresses that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and drinking champagne that costs more than most of our mortgages.

by Anonymousreply 107January 19, 2020 10:06 PM

Jlo getting a nomination would have signaled the end of cinema!

by Anonymousreply 108January 19, 2020 10:11 PM

Lady Gaga's nomination already signified the end of cinema. Lopez can act. She always could. She did a good film with Clooney and another with Mark Anthony and she was fucking SELENA bitches.

by Anonymousreply 109January 19, 2020 10:18 PM

I have a good friend who is an Academy member.

He's a two time Oscar winner and he is not an actor.

When the screeners arrive he only watches the films that interest him and I'm pretty sure it's the same with most members.

That, in my opinion, is why the "favorites" or the ones with "buzz" usually win.

Their films are the ones most likely to actually be seen by Academy voters.

The volume of material received by members is overwhelming.

It's not an excuse but an explanation.

by Anonymousreply 110January 19, 2020 10:18 PM

R110 yeah because after 40 odd films of bad performances from Lopez, you kinda already know what you’re getting and know her range for improvement. Why would you waste your time watching her film for consideration. Bitch can’t act. You also know when buzz is genuine or manufactured..everybody knows!

by Anonymousreply 111January 19, 2020 10:24 PM

Yup.

by Anonymousreply 112January 19, 2020 10:25 PM

JLo needs to study McBongo’s career trajectory.

Here’s a guy who showed specs of talent, yet was overcome by his persona, rather than his talent.

Lopez is genuinely talented. If she can get over her “hustler” persona, she can be taken seriously. There’s a fantastic role waiting for her. She just needs to find it. Staying married or single will definitely help, too. Almost everyone can name her various boyfriends/husbands, more readily than naming her filmography. Sadly, Jennifer’s picker is BROKEN. At 25, it’s overlooked, but at 50+? Not so much. I wonder if she’s ever considered dating and/or marrying a decent guy, who hasn’t a history of violence, or sex addiction. Unfortunately, I don’t believe her current love interest is a step in the right direction.

by Anonymousreply 113January 19, 2020 10:28 PM

I don't get screeners but I have several friends who do. Went over last weekend and the kitchen table was COVERED. I borrowed a few.

by Anonymousreply 114January 19, 2020 10:31 PM

R113 Is right. J-Lo has been acting like a stripper gangsta ho for 40 odd years. If she'd actually start acting like an adult, maybe people would start taking her seriously. But strippers don't get awards for playing strippers, because that isn't acting. That's a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 115January 19, 2020 10:44 PM

R113 Is right. J-Lo has been acting like a stripper gangsta ho for 40 odd years. If she'd actually start acting like an adult, maybe people would start taking her seriously. But strippers don't get awards for playing strippers, because that isn't acting. That's a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 116January 19, 2020 10:44 PM

"Acting legend Terry Moore"

She fucked/married a rich guy.

by Anonymousreply 117January 19, 2020 10:57 PM

R14 Entertainment Weekly used to these types of interviews with Oscar voters too. I remember one year a voter said she was voting for Tom Hanks "because he's a family man." Nothing about the film or performance.

by Anonymousreply 118January 19, 2020 11:00 PM

R107 I actually turned off the Golden Globes a couple of years ago when everyone wore back and acted all somber because it was right after #metoo broke.

by Anonymousreply 119January 19, 2020 11:02 PM

r113 I liked how cutthroat the female cast of Hustlers (those crimes were felonies) was and that can be uncomfortable for men over the age of 60, like most Academy voters are. Maybe some of them got duped in real life!

I liked and expected the nominees that were announced. They match the tastes of senior citizens who hate anything too sexual or young-skewing. So war movies and anything set before 1970 is deemed important.

by Anonymousreply 120January 19, 2020 11:09 PM

[quote]Jlo getting a nomination would have signaled the end of cinema!

It probably would have signaled the End Times.

by Anonymousreply 121January 19, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote] But strippers don't get awards for playing strippers, because that isn't acting. That's a documentary.

Rofl wow R113 Lopez is only moderately talented and can perhaps improve if she got an acting coach who can be real with her and help her. She has a very minimal range especially when channeling sad or angry emotions. There’s no transition or process in her emotions it’s just on/off and you cannot see any internal process to it and so it comes off a short very inauthentic. She doesn’t fully become a character especially in those emotional moments, she becomes certain emotions of the character in a very disjointed way. She’s one of those actors that you can see is “acting” which is crazy after soooo many movies. I mean, basic sitcom or soap actors can deliver much, much better emotional performances than her.

by Anonymousreply 122January 19, 2020 11:17 PM

Jennifer was much better back in the 90s and early 2000s, back before she really became Jlo. She got into music, took on that glamour persona. Then she started with the diamonds, the Mansions, the yachts the private planes and the entaroge of 12 people and all of the security etc.

She became to much like Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton to be taken seriously as a serious actress.

But I still like her though.

by Anonymousreply 123January 19, 2020 11:25 PM

R104 Fuck You! Why is it that any time a black person wins something, oh, it was an affirmative action? What is that?

While ignoring all of the mediocre nepotistic "actors & actresses" who consume the industry.

It's always only affirmative action when a black person is acknowledged for something.

by Anonymousreply 124January 19, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote]She doesn’t fully become a character especially in those emotional moments, she becomes certain emotions of the character in a very disjointed way. She’s one of those actors that you can see is “acting” which is crazy after soooo many movies. I mean, basic sitcom or soap actors can deliver much, much better emotional performances than her.

You just described Joan Crawford. Humphrey Bogart said that Crawford couldn't change emotions (on screen) without going through "Jekyll and Hyde contortions."

by Anonymousreply 125January 19, 2020 11:31 PM

Some Hollywood people lack vision and appreciation for things that are outside their own preferences or comfort zone. That makes them no different than the common masses who buy tickets for the latest Star Wars or superhero blockbuster release and call everything else pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 126January 19, 2020 11:31 PM

... or PC.

by Anonymousreply 127January 19, 2020 11:32 PM

[quote] She became to much like Elizabeth Taylor

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 128January 19, 2020 11:33 PM

John Wayne was an asshole racist peice of shit too.

by Anonymousreply 129January 19, 2020 11:34 PM

[quote] and the entaroge

She should go to the free clinic. I’m sure there’s a shot for that.

by Anonymousreply 130January 19, 2020 11:34 PM

R128 Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 131January 19, 2020 11:35 PM

I have availability at two o’clock, r131. Did you want to make an appointment?

by Anonymousreply 132January 19, 2020 11:39 PM

Wasn't J. Lo supposed to play Rosie in one of those live TV productions of Bye Bye Birdie? Whatever happened to that? Did she realize she didn't have the charm or voice required?

by Anonymousreply 133January 19, 2020 11:42 PM

[quote]Humphrey Bogart said that Crawford couldn't change emotions (on screen) without going through "Jekyll and Hyde contortions."

And yet she could act circles around that old fart.

by Anonymousreply 134January 19, 2020 11:44 PM

No, she couldn't. Joan Crawford was a joke. Always.

by Anonymousreply 135January 19, 2020 11:45 PM

Give it up Norma.

She lasted longer than your untalented ass.

by Anonymousreply 136January 19, 2020 11:48 PM

I watched Hustlers last night and enjoyed it. JLo was actually pretty good and was, I’m sure, a contender for a nomination. It just wasn’t something new for her—she always acts like that.

Constance Wu, IMO, was excellent too

by Anonymousreply 137January 19, 2020 11:52 PM

Jlo needs to accept they won’t award a hoe for playing a hoe.

by Anonymousreply 138January 19, 2020 11:54 PM

r104, I think sometimes votes are split between two top tier nominees and a third sleeper nominee ends up with the most votes. It seems baffling because Regina King was likely NOT voters 2nd or 3rd choice, but she got the most votes of people committed to her and her campaign. I'm betting most of the people who did not for Dern, would so if their fav wasn't nominated. Does that make sense. I think this happens often when there isn't a clear, omg, knocked it out the park, was the best acting all year a la Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln or Jamie Foxx in Ray.

by Anonymousreply 139January 19, 2020 11:57 PM

All of the reasons in this thread about why the Oscars aren't a HUGE deal anymore and why the ratings keep going down are correct. I'll also add that back in the day the Oscars were one of the few times you could actually see movie stars outside of their movies. You never saw movie stars unless they appeared on Johnny Carson's show (and some of them wouldn't even do that) or if they were profiled in a magazine, and that was it. They weren't all over the media like they are now.

by Anonymousreply 140January 20, 2020 12:00 AM

r138, The statement is cloaked in ethnic racism. You are an idiot. Yet Meryl, who I adore, was buddy buddy with a serial sexual predator for 20 years and acted like she knew nothing. The bitch knew something.

by Anonymousreply 141January 20, 2020 12:00 AM

R141 her ethnicity has nothing to do with her being a hoe bag!

by Anonymousreply 142January 20, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote] You can’t just decide you wanna be a serious actor after 15 years of crap. Has he made anything funny since 50 First Dates?

He was involved in making [italic]Grandma’s Boy[/italic], but he didn’t act in it.

[quote] Hey, Tyler Perry does it R85

Tyler Perry threatens to dethrone Adam Sandler as the king of making bad movies.

by Anonymousreply 143January 20, 2020 12:07 AM

R141 This is why nobody takes you folks seriously. Because any time somebody says something bad about a person of color it's labeled as racism. This is why representation is a problem, because people like you make any sane folks trying to improve representation in the arts look like crazy clowns.

by Anonymousreply 144January 20, 2020 12:17 AM

R125 at least with Crawford you could excuse it as being characteristic of the acting generation she came from where acting was more theatrical and “big” until Brando came along and changed it and it became more internalized and deep. With actors like Jlo, and she really is one of, if not the worst when it comes to sad emotions, you can really see how inauthentic it is. It’s just not skin deep.super shallow. She doesn’t let go and doesn’t let herself get taken by the emotion..she puts it on and controls it including her facial contortions. It’s sad because as arrogant as she is, I get the feeling that she really tries to be a good actor. Why can’t she get a good coach?

by Anonymousreply 145January 20, 2020 12:30 AM

"The Oscars are only hurting themselves by this ruthless snubbing of minority actors year after year."

No they don't. Please.

If that was the case why does every minority group debase themselves on an annual basis to get one of these "meaningless" statues?

All of that being said, I ADORE the phenomenon of the anonymous acting voter articles that have appeared everywhere in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 146January 20, 2020 12:30 AM

r144, what makes Jlo a ho. Multiple marriages? What would make you denigrate one of the few leading latina actresses, insinuating she was just playing herself-- a ho. Furthermore strippers don't sleep with men for money. I don't care what anyone says its cloaked in racism and a microaggression. Sexy black/latina actresses are always determined to just be playing themselves when portraying seedy or sexy characters. White actors who deliver outstanding performances are never said to be playing anything short of brilliant because white people are naturally multifaceted and nuanced. Give me a fkin break.

by Anonymousreply 147January 20, 2020 12:48 AM

Bravo R147.

by Anonymousreply 148January 20, 2020 12:53 AM

Fucking Tommy Mottola for a music career when you have zero singing ability makes you a hoe ! Going to award shows showing your vagina makes you a hoe!

by Anonymousreply 149January 20, 2020 12:53 AM

Everyone, let's not forget WHY the Academy Awards were created in the first place, according to Louis B. Mayer: " "I found that the best way to handle [filmmakers] was to hang medals all over them ... If I got them cups and awards, they'd kill them to produce what I wanted. That's why the Academy Award was created"

It's not like they're rewarding true art. Christ, no matter what the Academy thinks... this isn't fucking Cannes or Venice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150January 20, 2020 1:08 AM

The thing is, even if someone with a not-so-great body of work gives a great performance, they should be nominated. Nobody is really complaining that Banderas who really is not someone whose cinematography (outside his work with Almodovar) is remarkable in any way, got a nomination since he gives an amazing performance in a difficult role. But, let's get real. "Hustler" was an entertaining movie but not one that is a cinematographic masterpiece or which required anyone in the main cast to truly stretch their limits. I liked the movie quite a lot but I was under no impression that I'm watching something so remarkable. I never got the intense awards hype about it.

by Anonymousreply 151January 20, 2020 1:51 AM

I hate Laura Dern’s acting. She plays the same character no matter what the movie

by Anonymousreply 152January 20, 2020 2:01 AM

Laura Dern has become Shirley MacLaine. It's the same (entertaining) performance every time.

She was lovely as the horse faced blind girl in Citizen Ruth with Treat Williams though.

by Anonymousreply 153January 20, 2020 2:04 AM

R147 Jennifer has based a career off of being a sex object. That has been her image for a few decades now, even back when she was Jenny From The Block. Sexiness has been her only talent and she has capitalized on it. I don't blame her, if I was that sexy I'd probably be doing the same thing, but regardless she's still profited off of the hobag image. That is why I'm saying she's playing herself. It has nothing to do with her image. If Miley Cyrus played a stripper in a film and was demanding an Oscar for it I would say the exact same thing. Or, if you're gonna accuse me of being sexist, let's use another example. If Channing Tatum had demanded an Oscar for his performance in Magic Mike I would've said the same thing. Whores don't get Oscars for playing whores because that isn't acting, darling. That'd be like saying Woody Allen deserves an Oscar for playing a short, awkward, Jewish New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 154January 20, 2020 2:21 AM

R154 Why are we pretending that no whores have won an oscar for playing a whore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 20, 2020 2:29 AM

Why the fuck are 91 year olds voting for this stuff?

Ancient fossils and out of touch!

by Anonymousreply 156January 20, 2020 2:31 AM

R155 Call me when Lopez turns in performances like Taylor's in Virginia Woolf and Butterfield 8. The second she stars in any movie half as good as those two and is capable of emoting like Elizabeth I'll bite my tongue. Until then I refuse to give that entitled brat an Oscar for starring in what is basically a remake of Showgirls.

by Anonymousreply 157January 20, 2020 2:34 AM

Taylor's personal life was over the top, but yes she was a fantastic actress.

by Anonymousreply 158January 20, 2020 2:36 AM

Lol JLo looked pissed but resigned to losing to Laura again tonight.

by Anonymousreply 159January 20, 2020 2:38 AM

She's so entitled. She reminds me of a Kardashian, but at least they don't think they deserve awards for the lives they've built themselves by whoring.

by Anonymousreply 160January 20, 2020 2:41 AM

Meanwhile, the great thespian of our times, Scarlett Fucking Johansson, gets not one but TWO Oscar nominations!

by Anonymousreply 161January 20, 2020 2:41 AM

I’m still angry Olivia lost the Oscar for Xanadu. Fuck Sissy Spacek !

by Anonymousreply 162January 20, 2020 2:45 AM

Scarlett acted circles around J-Lo. She might not have a lot of talent but even her mediocre performance surpassed Lopez's. Scarlett actually showed she's capable of emotion, whereas J-Lo has the emotional range of a teaspoon and all the humanity of a piece of plywood. She didn't win the award because she isn't an actress, she's a singer at best. More accurately she's just a model, her career has been about standing still a looking pretty. I wish people would stop acting like she's Laurence fucking Olivier and acknowledge that she's only fit for magazine covers.

by Anonymousreply 163January 20, 2020 2:46 AM

The movie Laura Dern was in with Treat Williams was not Citizen Ruth (she was great in that I agree). it was "Smooth Talk" from 1986. She was about 16 to 18 in that movie and was great. I think that's maybe the first thing I saw her in. She was a much better actress when she was very young IMO. Her recent acting has gotten monotonous.

by Anonymousreply 164January 20, 2020 2:51 AM

R164 she’s always entertaining and a good actress. Marriage Story I agree is a bit of a Renata redo, but so what . Laura’s been cranking great performances out for decades. She’s overdue for this acclaim as of late.

by Anonymousreply 165January 20, 2020 2:57 AM

All Sissy had to do was what? Play a 13 year old bride? Olivia had to modernize the Terpsichore myth into Kira, a roller disco muse. Do you all now understand ? Olivia was robbed!

by Anonymousreply 166January 20, 2020 2:59 AM

R156 believe me, Terry Moore may be 91, but the assumption that she is old and differs from all of the new allegedly "woke" voters is a fallacy.

by Anonymousreply 167January 20, 2020 3:03 AM

Oscar nominee Miss Terry Moore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168January 20, 2020 3:12 AM

Who is Miss Jean Peters voting for? Like JLo she is deeply religious. Jennifer will win an Oscar next year. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 169January 20, 2020 3:24 AM

r152, She's white. She's a brilliant interpreter. Thank you white people for slavery and genocide and inputing your white genes into us colored people. You made us beautiful. Now be gone already.

by Anonymousreply 170January 20, 2020 3:45 AM

r154, I don't buy that. Jlo did nothing that Monroe, Stone, Roberts, or Jolie didn't do. What the others couldn't do is catapult that into a recording pop star career. Not that I know if they wanted too. So she's a popstar, big deal. She is competent actress. And is dam good when she shines. Jlo is the Cher of this generation and the white folks can't stand it.

by Anonymousreply 171January 20, 2020 3:49 AM

Whores exist. Are we really being picky about the role. Omg, so only moral self righteous characters that actors portray should be nominated. Strippers aren't whores btw. Dumb fkin bitch.

by Anonymousreply 172January 20, 2020 3:50 AM

They take themselves way too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 173January 20, 2020 3:53 AM

I don't fkin care about what inner strengths or usability of brand image an actor uses. I care about the final product. Thats how I know many of you are basic bitches masquerading as film critics. You don't know shit. I care about the performance. That's like saying an athlete had too many muscles and thus was better. Yall are basic as fuck. My god, I'm glad our culture is changing. You will soon be irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 174January 20, 2020 3:53 AM

R171 Comparing JLo to Cher on a gay website is a crime and I hope whenever Muriel comes back from her vacation she makes you pay accordingly for it.

by Anonymousreply 175January 20, 2020 3:54 AM

I see Jenny has discovered the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 176January 20, 2020 3:55 AM

r175, I love Cher and I love Jlo. Sue me. It was a fair comparison.

by Anonymousreply 177January 20, 2020 3:57 AM

But when white actors who grew up in wealth, portray king and queens or upward nobility in a outstanding performance or their just genius. beautiful white geniuses. GIMME A FKIN BREAk.

by Anonymousreply 178January 20, 2020 4:01 AM

Last time I checked, "awards season" is pretty much who plays the game?

Like it is at the majority of work environments?

by Anonymousreply 179January 20, 2020 4:06 AM

I really, really wanted JLo to be nominated just to see the look on her face when she lost to ANY of them.

by Anonymousreply 180January 20, 2020 4:08 AM

Anyone think the academy should issue a voting preference. Like each member tallies 1st through 5. Since theres 5 nominees if the actor doesn't win more than 40 percent of the votes than the voting order should be tallied.

by Anonymousreply 181January 20, 2020 4:10 AM

Does Jennifer Lopez even care about this stuff? It seems like the everyone cares but her.

The woman is still a pop culture icon and can choose to leave show business because she is so wealthy. Like someone else said, I think she just likes dressing up for these things, to push whatever she is working on at this time, and support designers. I can't think of why at 50 years old and having accomplished many things in her life she would care. Maybe 20 years ago, but now I dont think so.

by Anonymousreply 182January 20, 2020 4:37 AM

[quote] As far as pre-1960s A-Listers, I believe Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland and Sophia Loren are the only ones left.

Leslie Caron

Gina Lollobrigida

Arlene Dahl

Sidney Poitier

Ann Blyth

Jane Powell

Margaret O'Brien

Jane Withers

by Anonymousreply 183January 20, 2020 4:53 AM

Mitzi Gaynor

Rhonda Fleming

Eva Marie Saint

Russ Tamblyn

Dean Stockwell

Harry Belafonte

Vera Miles

Robert Wagner

Joanne Woodward

Kim Novak

Shirley Jones

by Anonymousreply 184January 20, 2020 5:00 AM

Singers don't win acting Oscars!

by Anonymousreply 185January 20, 2020 5:04 AM

r183/84, none of them were A-Listers. We were only talking about the major stars.

by Anonymousreply 186January 20, 2020 5:23 AM

Voters rarely give awards out objectively. There are many external factors they take into consideration, as well they need to be reflective of our times. Start your own fucking awards show up if you hate it.

by Anonymousreply 187January 20, 2020 5:48 AM

Jennifer Lopez will be fine regardless. She's nearly a billionaire, and she lives a life most only dream of.

But having a gold statue siting on your mantle peice would definitely be the iceing on top, and the high light of a career in showbiz.

She just might surprise us one day.

by Anonymousreply 188January 20, 2020 7:06 AM

[quote] [R183]/84, none of them were A-Listers.

Oh, what bullshit.

Sidney Poitier, Leslie Caron, Joanne Woodward, Kim Novak--all CLEAR A-listers.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

by Anonymousreply 189January 20, 2020 7:20 AM

Lopez, Sandler and Murphy sounds like the saddest law firm EVER!

by Anonymousreply 190January 20, 2020 7:38 AM

Eddie Murphy should have several Oscars by now. He's a fucking comic genius and a fine actor. But there's no convincing glib assholes like R190.

by Anonymousreply 191January 20, 2020 8:26 AM

The thought of JLo winning an Oscar is bad enough but for a movie like Hustle?! That would be stretching her acting chops as much as Gaga playing a famous singer

by Anonymousreply 192January 20, 2020 8:29 AM

[quote]Jennifer Lopez will be fine regardless.

I’m not so sure. An egomaniac like her is like an empty well that no matter how much water she gets, she still never feels filled up. She wants more and more and more like the pig she is. No Oscar nom, lost the SAG nom, and in a few weeks will probably be overshadowed by her younger Latina counterpart Sharkira at the SB. It’s all driving her crazy I bet.

by Anonymousreply 193January 20, 2020 8:39 AM

[quote] Whores - that's what gets the prize!

Are you posting from 1975?

Everyone knows it’s impersonators who win nowadays. Way over 20 impersonations of celebrities or historical figures have won in the last two decades alone. Queen Elizabeth has two under her belt!

by Anonymousreply 194January 20, 2020 9:09 AM

Lopez was playing a historical figure too. The stripper is a real person.

by Anonymousreply 195January 20, 2020 9:16 AM

"My god, I'm glad our culture is changing. You will soon be irrelevant."

So those who are younger and more diverse are automatically less prejudiced because they are "diverse"? Please. Even for you R174 that is a ridiculous statement. In case you hadn't noticed in their own way they are far more racist, ignorant, and self-promoting than other generations.

How is the culture "changing" exactly?

by Anonymousreply 196January 20, 2020 9:30 AM

Actually, after years of getting increasingly diverse, the U.S. has stalled on this--Hispanic birth rates, which were driving the trend have dropped off the cliff along with everybody else's. Still higher than the birth rates for whites and blacks, but below replacement rate. After falling below 50 percent back in the late aughts, white babies are, once again, the majority (52 percent). The states with the highest birth rates are Idaho, Nebraska, Utah, the Dakotas and Alaska--i.e. white and conservative.

The U.S., like most first-world countries is relying on immigration to maintain its population.

It's interesting because there was a fair amount of coverage about the eventual disappearance of the white majority, but almost zero coverage of more recent trends, which show that majority shrinking, but not disappearing.

Blacks, by the way, relative to their share of the population are overrepresented on film and television--to the point people think they constitute a higher percentage of the population than they do. Hispanics are underrepresented and Asians are on par--though they're the fastest-growing group in the U.S., but through immigration not birth rate.

by Anonymousreply 197January 20, 2020 10:25 AM

[quote]Blacks, by the way, relative to their share of the population are overrepresented on film and television--to the point people think they constitute a higher percentage of the population than they do. Hispanics are underrepresented and Asians are on par--though they're the fastest-growing group in the U.S., but through immigration not birth rate.

And Hispanics are quite represented in how their own entire entertainment ecosystem is almost as large as general market, more profitable (just look at the ad revenues at Univision, Televisa, and Comcast's Telemundo holdings), as well as participating in the 500m + Hispanophone media community across the Americas. When all the white kids (and some of the black ones) are listening to reggaeton, you're punching above your weight just fine.

by Anonymousreply 198January 20, 2020 10:40 AM

Someone mentioned upthread that Lopez should have picked the serious actress path instead of becoming JLo. Serious acting playing the sexy Latina or the maid or Ethnic best friend? Let's be honest, she wouldn't have gotten the Gwyneth/ScarJo/JLaw parts anyway. Look at Salma Hayek's career - where is she now? Or Eva Mendez?

Maybe she did pick the right option for her. I don't blame her.

by Anonymousreply 199January 20, 2020 11:06 AM

Two good Laura Dern performances: Enlightened and We Don't Live Here Anymore with Mark Ruffalo and Naomi Watts. Oh and a small part in the disturbing movie A Perfect World. She really has a huge body of work but plays pretty much the same persona every time anymore.

by Anonymousreply 200January 20, 2020 12:21 PM

I know Gaga is hated here, but I loved her in ASIB. I thought she was amazing. I assume she will never be good again. But it worked for me. That said, Colman was amazing too. I sort of hate the competition aspect of art. I get it's a business.

by Anonymousreply 201January 20, 2020 1:23 PM

Terry Moore can say whatever she wants. She gave birth to one of the 80's hottest guys, Grant Cramer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202January 20, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote] Does Jennifer Lopez even care about this stuff?

Dear, she spent upwards of $750K on publicists and strategies starting back in September at the Toronto Film Festival to start seeding the rumors that she was Oscar bound for Hustlers. Trust me- she cares.

by Anonymousreply 203January 20, 2020 1:45 PM

Hustlers is a sick movie. Trashy female sociopaths drugging men and audiences are supposed to laugh? This is progress? This is feminism? F off. JLo is a self obsessed joke.

by Anonymousreply 204January 20, 2020 1:57 PM

He was never an A-lister, but Norman Lloyd is 105 and still ticking (hope that continues for the foreseeable future!).

by Anonymousreply 205January 20, 2020 2:00 PM

[quote]Sidney Poitier, Leslie Caron, Joanne Woodward, Kim Novak--all CLEAR A-listers.

No they weren't. Not in the same league as Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, etc.

by Anonymousreply 206January 20, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote]Eddie Murphy should have several Oscars by now.

For what? Beverly Hills Cop and The Nutty Professor?

by Anonymousreply 207January 20, 2020 2:10 PM

[quote]How is the culture "changing" exactly?

It's becoming more coarse and crude.

by Anonymousreply 208January 20, 2020 2:11 PM

I tried rewatching Rocketman last night which I had seen at the cinema when it was released - it was even worse than I remembered. I didn’t get very far. I can’t believe it was part of the awards conversation for so long. And it looked cheap.

by Anonymousreply 209January 20, 2020 2:35 PM

[quote]Not that I know if they wanted too.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 210January 20, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote] Eddie Murphy should have several Oscars by now.

Traditionally Oscars are not awarded for comedies. Yes, there are exceptions, but generally they don’t receive the accolades that a dramatic movie does.

by Anonymousreply 211January 20, 2020 3:06 PM

I saw the trailer for Uncut Gems and it put me right off. It seemed like spending three hours in an ethnic household with really loud argumentative exhausting people. Why would you? Is that what it’s like? If I wanted to endure that kind of movie I’d go to Guy Ritchie’s The Gentlemen, which seems a quiet chuckle..

by Anonymousreply 212January 20, 2020 3:32 PM

Academy members were really put off by the massive PR campaigns that Gaga and JLo did for their movies, and then their massive Oscar campaigns. It was obvious that they were trying to buy an Oscar and it didn't sit well with the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 213January 20, 2020 3:45 PM

[quote] I ADORE the phenomenon of the anonymous acting voter articles that have appeared everywhere in the last few years.

Me too. I love the grouchy guy who shares his voting choices with Variety. His comment last year about Bush Baby —“he’s very charming but I’ve spent more time with him than my dog”, was a cracker. After he won Best Actor, Variety said that his playbook was a model of how to do it and would be studied for years. The trouble is, offscreen lots of actors aren’t so charming or articulate, so they require all the PR and managed interviews that money can buy. However, Bush Baby is a gifted storyteller and was able to do two terrifically entertaining long form interviews, one of them for SAG, which I’m sure were enormously effective in raising his profile and earning him futher respect in the lead up. And that’s critical in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214January 20, 2020 3:53 PM

Regina King didn't deserve that Oscar last year. I loved the movie, and thought she was great in it, but I kept waiting for that amazing moment for her character to explode off the screen, and the director/screenwriter never gave it to her.

Don't begrudge her the award, but it's easy to see why she wasn't nominated for some of the other big awards last year, and her two main competitors were from the same film and already had Oscars, so...

And before I get called a racist, I think the biggest Oscar oversights this year are Lupita Nyong'o for US, the cast members of PARASITE, Zhao Chuzhen for THE FAREWELL and lots of folks from QUEEN AND SLIM, which I loved.

by Anonymousreply 215January 20, 2020 4:28 PM

US was a B horror movie that was wildly overpraised.

by Anonymousreply 216January 20, 2020 4:33 PM

R215 And R216 Are both racists.

by Anonymousreply 217January 20, 2020 4:44 PM

r191, Agreed. He should have been nominated for Boomerang.

by Anonymousreply 218January 20, 2020 5:22 PM

I usually dismiss accusations of right wing trolls here but some comments here trashing the Oscars are playbook Breitbart.

The Oscars are not in decline. Its ratings in America follow a slight decline seen in network TV in general. Its still extremely popular around the world and Hollywood's biggest marketing machine. Awarded films make a substantial amount after the event both domestically and internationally.

It won't go away as long as American cinema exists. It's both the vanity Fair for artists and the only time behind the scenes workers have their recognition.

Your ignorant opinions on the subject are very funny and out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 219January 20, 2020 6:03 PM

"The Oscars are only hurting themselves by this ruthless snubbing of minority actors year after year."

Are voters supposed to nominate based on skin color or sexual orientation?

by Anonymousreply 220January 20, 2020 6:37 PM

IMO Eddie Murphy's best movie was Bowfinger but he was essentially playing himself. The best comedic scene in any comedy is when his brother tries to cross the 8 lane highway in LA. I fall on the floor every time.

by Anonymousreply 221January 20, 2020 8:40 PM

I don’t know, r220, maybe it’s me. Maybe I’m a little old fashioned. How about awarding them based on, oh, let me think, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Film, etc.

I’m not sure if that will satisfy the masses, though.

by Anonymousreply 222January 20, 2020 8:42 PM

R189 Sidney Poitier and Kim Novak are the only ones that I’d consider A-listers from that list. Nobody is interested in Joanne Woodward without Paul Newman. Nobody even mentions her now that he’s dead. Robert Wagner was a C-list movie actor, he’s a TV actor who road Natalie Wood’s coattails.

by Anonymousreply 223January 20, 2020 9:49 PM

Joanne Woodward was an A-lister.

by Anonymousreply 224January 20, 2020 9:51 PM

R153

You have gotten your Laura Dern films mixed up. She played a blind girl in Mask (1985), she co-starred with Treat Williams in Smooth Talk (1985) and in Citizen Ruth (1996) she didn't play blind and Treat Williams was not in that one with her.

by Anonymousreply 225January 20, 2020 10:00 PM

I guess some would consider her A, but I’d consider her, A- or B+, but definitely an A+ with Paul. I can’t recall reading about any movies that opened big at the box office on the strength of her name alone if Paul wasn’t in the film with her.

by Anonymousreply 226January 20, 2020 10:02 PM

[quote]Agreed. He should have been nominated for Boomerang.

That’s one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Don’t get me started on the editing.

by Anonymousreply 227January 20, 2020 10:34 PM

I mixed them up on purpose R225. Notice how I said she gives the same performance in every film? Plus I like to make eldergay heads explode. So many of you here seem to exist only to correct others - about the most inconsequential things. You fell in.

by Anonymousreply 228January 20, 2020 11:02 PM

This thread has legs

by Anonymousreply 229January 20, 2020 11:29 PM

Kirk, Sophia, Olivia, Kim, Leslie and Sydney are A list legends.

There may even be some Oscar winners around like Joanne Woodward, but as I bet she would even admit, she was not a STAR. The rest, beginning with the two of the last surviving blacklist victims Marsha Hunt and Lee Grant (film debut Detective Story 1951) are not A list.

by Anonymousreply 230January 20, 2020 11:47 PM

It's 2020. Why would Golden Age Hollywood film stars be alive? After Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman died - that was the official end of the era. The operative word is STARS. It WAS over.

Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts were the last film STARS.

There is no lower case star. STARS are STARS & facts are FACTS.

by Anonymousreply 231January 21, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote]Kirk, Sophia, Olivia, Kim, Leslie and Sydney are A list legends.

Not Kim, Leslie or Sidney. They were popular for a while but never A List. Kirk, Olivia and Sophia were true A-Listers, major stars.

by Anonymousreply 232January 21, 2020 12:19 AM

I think they should have nominated all three mentioned by OP. They are all likeable actors, yes even Sandler.

by Anonymousreply 233January 21, 2020 12:25 AM

Sandler has always been low-rent.

by Anonymousreply 234January 21, 2020 12:26 AM

Sandler broke out and became a big star because he's a good comic actor - Airheads being an early example. He's been good in dramatic roles. Reign Over Me, The Meyerowitz Stories, Funny People

by Anonymousreply 235January 21, 2020 12:41 AM

Sidney Poitier was A list in his day, I beg to disagree. One of the first AA actors to open movies based on his name, and he had a pretty long career. I know someone who used to work for him BTW. He is cognitively impaired at this point, but he's over 90.

by Anonymousreply 236January 21, 2020 12:53 AM

Re last stars of Golden Age Hollywood: I don't know if this counts, but "Baby Peggy" is still with us at 101. Granted, she's not a household name anymore like, say, Shirley Temple, but in the early '20s she was a major child star. In fact, she, Jackie Cooper, and Baby Marie were THE three major child stars of the silent film era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237January 21, 2020 12:56 AM

R223. Or it could because she's been living DEMENTIA for a number of years....asshole.

by Anonymousreply 238January 21, 2020 12:57 AM

I meat Jackie COOGAN, not COOPER.

by Anonymousreply 239January 21, 2020 12:59 AM

To disparage Poitiers career is insane in a thread that has made some interesting defenses of Jennifer 'doesn't ever sing a thing' Lopez getting an oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 240January 21, 2020 1:03 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 241January 21, 2020 1:10 AM

If Kim Novak is considered, then definitely so should I. And I. And I. And me, too.

by Anonymousreply 242January 21, 2020 1:11 AM

R236 Poitiers career peaked in 1967. He was A list for a brief period of time, between his Oscar win and triple whammy of GWCTD, To Sir With Love and ITHOTN. Nothing after 1967 that he starred in or directed was relevant. He’s mainly known for these short years when he was a civil rights icon and box office star.

by Anonymousreply 243January 21, 2020 1:13 AM

Marilyn Monroe was never nominated fora an Oscar. What made her A-list?

by Anonymousreply 244January 21, 2020 1:16 AM

R244. A-list is not exclusive to Oscar winners and nominees. A-list actors are those who star in movies that sell on the strength of their name alone and their popularity with the public. Marilyn Monroe was 20th Century-Fox's biggest moneymaker during the 1950s. Hence, she was A-list.

by Anonymousreply 245January 21, 2020 1:28 AM

Many A list stars were never nominated for Oscars. Being a big box office draw makes someone A list, too. If your movies make money and you can open a movie, making the top 10 box office list is what also counts. Marilyn’s career was in decline before she died, she had started to fall into the B list and had just been fired by 20th Century Fox. Her last two movies were flops compared to her previous films. At the time they said that the best career move she ever made was dying at the right time. She and James Dean might have faded away if they had lived to old age. Their early deaths is what made them larger than life. Brigitte Bardot was the biggest sex symbol of her time, nobody cares about her today. If she’s ever brought up at all, people make fun of her and talk about how terrible she looks. It’s sad, but that’s reality.

by Anonymousreply 246January 21, 2020 1:34 AM

R245 Exactly. Many people who win Oscars are not A-list and never will be. They win for one role and disappear.

by Anonymousreply 247January 21, 2020 1:36 AM

Hollywood can be a very cruel place.

by Anonymousreply 248January 21, 2020 1:40 AM

Being a number one box draw automatically puts an actor on the A-list.

by Anonymousreply 249January 21, 2020 1:41 AM

This thread is over. OLD gay men arguing about who from 75 years ago qualifies as an A list actor. Groundhog Day on DL.

by Anonymousreply 250January 21, 2020 1:44 AM

R250: Your thought processes are OVER. How do you even know all the commenters here are old? I'm in my mid-thirties and I like watching classic movies. By your flawed logic, younger than 40 is old to you.

If this thread is beyond your interest and comprehension, then what the fuck are you even doing here,? The only thing you're showing everyone is that you're no better than a troll. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 251January 21, 2020 2:02 AM

Except.. You're a liar R251. I know how old I am and your posts reflect how old you are. Close to 70. Your use of CAPS in multiple posts identify you further as a certain troll. You ain't young OLD man!! Take my comments and say you disagree. But don't make a fool of yourself by arguing. We all know who you ARE!!! And that trumpian "sad" hallmarks your grossness. I'm better than you. Now shut the fuck up and sit back down. R251. You're younger than death. So far.

by Anonymousreply 252January 21, 2020 2:22 AM

LMAO! You are so triggered, you little cunt! I've posted 4 times on this thread, including this comment. Please identify my specific posts, asswipe lackwit. I'm waiting. . .

I use caps to emphasize certain words, duh, instead of using html boldface characters. Trumplethinskin doesn't hold the patent on "sad" any more than Parasite Hilton holds the patent on "hot".

Look at you, making an ass of yourself by assuming everyone here is the same age. Then you further demonstrate your imbecility by assuming that I post dozens of comments here. You can go fuck yourself, deluded twat, with a spiked flail. Run along, BOY, the adults are talking here.

by Anonymousreply 253January 21, 2020 2:32 AM

And so we see. ^

Not dozens of comments - you post hundreds a day. We know who you are. "sad"

by Anonymousreply 254January 21, 2020 2:42 AM

"We"? Who the fuck do you think you are? Are you referring to your mulitple personalities, you mental midget?

You are nothing but a troll loser, typing from his cell in Mama's basement. You don't know shit. You don't have credibility. You add nothing of value here. What a fucking waste of space and oxygen. Go DIAGF, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 255January 21, 2020 2:45 AM

Girls! Girls! I am woman enough for all of you!

by Anonymousreply 256January 21, 2020 2:53 AM

Ain't no part of me small BOY. Now back off before I expose you for who you are R255. Get back to pretending that you're in your mid seventies, I mean thirties. You're hilarious ancient white queer. What about this discussion upset you so much? Are the Meghan Markle hate threads closed down today? You spend so much time there. You still have hundreds of other posts to make. Go on gramps. WE love YOU, even though you're SAD.

by Anonymousreply 257January 21, 2020 2:55 AM

R254: And by your dumbass logic, you must also be a Trumpster because you used "sad" as a single word sentence.

LQTM. I'm mixed ethnicity, bitch. The lies you spout. And you are pulling every random accusation out of your dingleberried ass to see what will stick, hmmm? Ooooh, gracious, I'm so worried. I've handled more competent trolls than you. Pathetic.

What other lies do you tell yourself, besides thinking I'm 70 and that I've posted hundreds of times? Let's see: you probably have convinced yourself that you're attractive, that you 're witty, that you're perceptive. The truth that is so palpable is that you're a nobody, a mental mediocrity seeking validation from internet strangers in any way. Negativity is your bread and butter because you offer nothing else. Mumsy and Pops aren't giving you enough attention, thus you troll on a thread topic in which you aren't even interested. Your trolling is basic bitch level. You impress no one.

Please block me and see how many comments disappear, little penis boy. Go ahead, I dare you. Oh, but I know you won't, because that would deflate your balloon condom of lies. You'd get your pancake ass handed to you on a platter.

Try harder, amateur.

by Anonymousreply 258January 21, 2020 3:03 AM

WoW. That's pretty sad. Go back to discussing your young man's opinion of who was an A lister in the 1940s. I feel sorry for you. Good luck gramps.

by Anonymousreply 259January 21, 2020 3:12 AM

HA HA, you upvote all your comments. How perfectly wretched. Your tactics are so transparent.

Did you block me yet, troll, to see how many comments I postedd? Of course you haven't, because you're a coward. You're also a pitiful lunatic. And have a thesaurus besides you when next you type a troll post. Your vocabulary is abysmal. Have fun being the mediocre nonentity that you are. Tootles!

by Anonymousreply 260January 21, 2020 3:28 AM

*posted

by Anonymousreply 261January 21, 2020 3:28 AM

[quote]HA HA, you upvote all your comments. How perfectly wretched. Your tactics are so transparent. Did you block me yet, troll, to see how many comments I postedd? Of course you haven't, because you're a coward. You're also a pitiful lunatic. And have a thesaurus besides you when next you type a troll post. Your vocabulary is abysmal. Have fun being the mediocre nonentity that you are. Tootles!

^Really OLD Fag^

by Anonymousreply 262January 21, 2020 3:35 AM

R262 = miserable, homophobic, inbred troll who calls anyone who disagrees with him "fag" and "old". Cannot prove any of his ridiculous accusations. Pretends this thread is of no interest to him but stays here so he can be told how pathetic he is. You like being a whipping boy, troll?

AND HE UPVOTES EVERY DAMN COMMENT HE POSTS. Can a mediocre troll be more pathetic and amateurish than that? Hey, at least you are consistent in your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 263January 21, 2020 3:41 AM

I like what I see though I am sad for you R263. After my direct and true post at R250, you lost your shit. Diapers can't hold it all. Take care old man. I hope that God forgives you when you cross over. The racist dog whistles in your posts are disgusting. But you're very well practiced at them on Datalounge. Hundreds of posts a day. But not for much longer. Good luck to you. It really is too late.

by Anonymousreply 264January 21, 2020 3:54 AM

Marilyn was rehired for Something Has Got To Give. I don't care how many flops she had she looks stunning in the outtakes of that film...

by Anonymousreply 265January 21, 2020 3:56 AM

R63 i think you mean Regina. She was the standout in Scary Movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266January 21, 2020 3:56 AM

R243 ROFL IDN but IMO OTT abuse of acronyms!

by Anonymousreply 267January 21, 2020 10:19 AM

[quote] he’s a TV actor who road Natalie Wood’s coattails.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 268January 21, 2020 1:21 PM

[quote]Did she give multiple interviews talking about how she really wanted to get an Oscar and how AMPAS should give it to her because she was fat when she was a kid like Kate Winslet did?

But they locked me in the art room and called me Blubber r62.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 21, 2020 2:14 PM

I think Jennifer is more concerned with being a Star, then an actual serious actress.

But I think she was good on her NBC cop show. It lasted for 2 seasons, and she looked as though she was taking it seriously.

I guess you can't really put her in a box.

by Anonymousreply 270January 21, 2020 4:24 PM

Jennifer has a YouTube channel. I recommend y'all watch the one when she was in Toronto promoting Hustlers at the Toronto film festival. That basically gives you an inside look at what Jennifer's life is like.

Her hotel room was insane, with all kinds of gowns and shoes and makeup and hair people. She had about a dozen people there to cater to her every need and want etc.

She definitely enjoys being in showbiz , that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 271January 21, 2020 4:29 PM

"It's 2020. Why would Golden Age Hollywood film stars be alive? After Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman died - that was the official end of the era. The operative word is STARS. It WAS over."

Not quite. Shirley MacLaine, Kim Novak, Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland, and that's just mentioning the ones who are alive NOW, not the ones who survived Liz and Paul and have died since (Doris, etc. etc.)

by Anonymousreply 272January 21, 2020 8:26 PM

Doris Day just died last year and she was a bigger movie star than Liz Taylor; in fact, she may have been the biggest female star of them all. She was consistently on Quigleys* annual list of Top Ten Money Makers in the late '50 into the mid '60s, even topping the list several times.

by Anonymousreply 273January 21, 2020 8:43 PM

OP has decided she is the final arbiter of who was Hollywood A-list and who was not, and it's all based on her subjective unspoken criteria.

I am afraid Shirley MacLaine, Sidney Poitier, and Kim Novak, no matter how famous they were and how many films they starred in and how much money they made, simply WILL NOT DO for the A-List of A-Lists, since OP says they do not.

by Anonymousreply 274January 21, 2020 8:43 PM

Hollywood is ever evolving with the landscape. And did you really just say Doris Day was a bigger Movie Star then Elizabeth Taylor?

Really????

I've never heard that one before. That's news to me.

by Anonymousreply 275January 22, 2020 2:12 AM

Box Office-wise Doris Day most certainly was a bigger star than Taylor!

by Anonymousreply 276January 22, 2020 2:23 AM

You'd think Elizabeth would be the bigger draw for the public.

I mean she's, Elizabeth Taylor after all.

As far as Movie Stars go. I've always thought of Joan Crawford and Elizabeth Taylor as truly fitting the bill. Only because they we're both so grandiose and lived such fast crazy lives.

In a good way of course.

by Anonymousreply 277January 22, 2020 2:42 AM

Doris Day may have been bigger box office, but Elizabeth Taylor is a LEGEND. Show a picture of Liz to anyone, even people in their 20s, and they'll know who she was.

by Anonymousreply 278January 22, 2020 2:51 AM

Elizabeth has that perfume line, so that's what's helping to keep her legacy alive. A lot of people have mothers and grandmothers who wear Taylor's fragrances.

by Anonymousreply 279January 22, 2020 3:10 AM

The biggest female box-office stars of all-time were Mary Pickford, Doris Day and Barbra Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 280January 22, 2020 4:00 AM

[quote] Doris Day was a bigger Movie Star then Elizabeth Taylor?

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 281January 22, 2020 12:29 PM

Actually, Glenn Ford was always in the top 10, but he is an absolute nonentity today.

by Anonymousreply 282January 23, 2020 12:39 PM

Doris was consistently bigger at the B.O. than Liz but Liz was much more in the public eye for much longer, until she died actually.

As you can all see, ladies, what becomes a legend most is in the eye of the beholder and subject to endless deliberations. The OP definitely DOES NOT have the last word on the matter.

by Anonymousreply 283January 25, 2020 1:11 AM

[quote] Liz was much more in the public eye for much longer, until she died actually.

Well I hope she’d be out of the public eye then.

Ewww.

by Anonymousreply 284January 25, 2020 11:01 AM

R282 Quentin Tarantino begs to differ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285January 25, 2020 11:25 AM

R282 Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286January 25, 2020 11:26 AM

R282

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287January 25, 2020 11:27 AM

R109, JLo is also terrific in "Shall We Dance?" with Richard Gere. Very sultry Tango scene!

by Anonymousreply 288January 25, 2020 11:49 AM

Was Doris Day ever immortalized by a world-famous artist?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289January 25, 2020 11:53 AM

The Japanese original was much, much better. R109, these days Shall We Dance is held in low regard, since it is representative of the pre-Parasite days when foreign language films had to be re-made with white casts to appeal to America.

by Anonymousreply 290January 25, 2020 11:55 AM

I think lopez was playing her hard edged hustler self in hustlers. The movies where she was playing soft and endearing were a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 291January 25, 2020 2:49 PM

Jennnifer Lopez has only ever been great ponce and that was in Out of Sight opposite George Clooney. Both of them should have gotten Oscar nominations and didn't, so I feel sorry for JLo missing out for Hustlers not that she deserved a nomination for it but as a make-up for Out if Sight she certainly did.

by Anonymousreply 292January 26, 2020 11:35 AM

Joaquin Phoenix Calls The Oscars 'Bullshit,' But That Shouldn't Surprise Us

"I'm just saying that I think it's bullshit. I think it's total, utter bullshit, and I don't want to be a part of it. I don't believe in it. It's a carrot, but it's the worst-tasting carrot I've ever tasted in my whole life. I don't want this carrot. It's totally subjective. Pitting people against each other . . . It's the stupidest thing in the whole world. It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when Walk the Line was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again. I don't know how to explain it—and it's not like I'm in this place where I think I'm just above it—but I just don't ever want to get comfortable with that part of things."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293January 26, 2020 1:19 PM

Hope those words don't come back to haunt him, R293.

by Anonymousreply 294January 26, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote]It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when Walk the Line was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again.

We should all have such problems.

by Anonymousreply 295January 26, 2020 3:28 PM

I hope it does come back to haunt him. Joaquin Phoenix is THE most one-note, over-rated actor today.

by Anonymousreply 296January 26, 2020 8:16 PM

"Joaquin Phoenix is THE most one-note, over-rated actor today."

R296 Clearly you've never seen an Al Pacino performance.

by Anonymousreply 297January 26, 2020 11:14 PM

But he made sure to show his ass up to the golden globes to collect that award through.

by Anonymousreply 298January 27, 2020 4:09 AM

OK Joaquin. Duly noted. We won't put you through that uncomfortable experience again.

by Anonymousreply 299January 28, 2020 6:22 AM

I feel Joaquin's pain!

by Anonymousreply 300January 28, 2020 6:33 AM

[quote] It’s a little too rough around the edges

What does that say about the Academy if they consider films too "rough around the edges" for consideration?

by Anonymousreply 301January 28, 2020 6:37 AM

The list of presenters has been announced, including the little forest critter and the drunk woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302January 28, 2020 1:55 PM

That's a whole lotta ugly in that one photo.

by Anonymousreply 303January 28, 2020 5:08 PM

Chrissy Metz will be performing the song from Breakthrough.

by Anonymousreply 304January 29, 2020 4:13 AM

Then lets hope they’ve reinforced the stage.

by Anonymousreply 305January 29, 2020 8:56 AM

They will be broadcasting her performance in 2:35:1.

by Anonymousreply 306January 29, 2020 11:51 AM

“Breakthrough“, huh?

Chrissy Metz?

The very definition of irony.

by Anonymousreply 307January 29, 2020 1:27 PM

The Daily Beast ran an anonymous Oscar voter piece but it lacked bite. This voter thinks PARASITE is overpraised, avoided LITTLE WOMEN because they felt it looked "syrupy" but may get around to watching it, feels like the hype over JLo exceeded her performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308January 29, 2020 1:48 PM

I Jennifer really wants an Oscar, she has to get back to taking acting seriously the way she did back in the 90s.

That the only way. She needs to give Jlo a rest for a while. Not saying she can't be glamorous. She is in showbiz after all and that's fine, but she needs to take acting for the camera more seriously if she wants to some day win an Oscar.

It's on her at this point.

by Anonymousreply 309January 29, 2020 5:17 PM

R309 that's how I feel about Sandler. I like a lot of his early comedies (stupid but fun) but he can't make shit for 15 years, boast about how his priority is where it's shooting than the quality of the movie, and then decide he wants to be a SERIOUS ACTOR.

by Anonymousreply 310January 29, 2020 5:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!