Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is 'playing the victim ' and 'victim mentality ' on the increase?

If so why do you think this is happening?What is the cause/driving force behind it? Anecdotally to me it seems more common than it used to be ,almost as if being a victim is the highest form of human going by the way some people behave? Is it about not wanting to take any responsibility or gaining emotional satisfaction from being seen as one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 8, 2021 1:37 AM

Look no farther than the White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2020 12:14 AM

R1 wins the thread.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2020 12:15 AM

Oh for sure he is bad in that regard also r1 but doesn't realistically the trend for victimhood predate his presidency?

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2020 12:18 AM

Social media

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2020 12:28 AM

r4 In what sense?

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2020 12:40 AM

Because of social media & the new political far Left, victims are now put on pedestals. Victims have become the darlings of activists, SJWs, Hollywood and the media.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2020 12:44 AM

Trump has victimized all of us

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2020 1:13 AM

Tumblr started it.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2020 1:28 AM

The so-called “grievance studies” at universities, with their intersectionality of oppressions, has played a major role.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2020 1:37 AM

You'd think Trump supporters and the keyboard warriors of Twitter and Tumblr would actually get along seeing as they have so much in common - they both think of themselves as the most oppressed people in the world.

The rest of us sane people might as well just stand back and watch them fight it out. It's why I try not to respond to any kind of psychotic person on the far left or far right if I can help it. I think it feeds their victimhood.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2020 1:38 AM

R66, Trump fits none of those categories but is the biggest self-claiming bigot in the world.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2020 1:39 AM

Concomitant with the rise of women.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2020 1:49 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2020 2:19 AM

What do you mean by rise of women r12? Are you referring to feminism?

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2020 8:58 AM

Yes, it's on the increase. I blame helicopter/bulldozer parents and spoiled children who never had to work for a living.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2020 9:01 AM

r15 Surely there must be more to it than that?I mean there will be plenty of young people who have worked who also have acquired the behaviour or even habit of playing the victim?

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2020 9:05 AM

r8 Tumblr? You surely meant Twitter?

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2020 6:54 PM

I suspect this kind of question will take on a new salience after a certain interview is broadcast on the 7th March!

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 6:01 PM

Anti-bullying began as a valid movement, but sociopaths, as sociopaths do exploited it to their own ends. Just look at how Trump saw himself as a victim.

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 6:04 PM

crybully

[ krahy-bool-ee ]

noun, plural cry·bul·lies.

a person who self-righteously harasses or intimidates others while playing the victim, especially of a perceived social injustice:

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2021 6:05 PM

r19 r20 Brilliantly put!

The victim game can be turned on anyone BY anyone that's what needs to be understood.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 6:07 PM

The PC police mean everyone is a victim somehow, someway. Coupled with social media and cancel culture, victimhood abounds. One only needs to look as far as any given daily headline to see this (ex. HARKLES). Media is also guilty of perpetuating the narrative. And no I'm not a fucking Trumpanzee, far from one.

by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 6:10 PM

Caveat - plenty of people actually are victims and aren't "playing" it.

Beyond that, people feel helpless and powerless, lost, scared, etc. - and also many have fragile egos. Few people eagerly want to acknowledge that a large part of it is their own failures or hangups or confusion. So the deflect blame onto someone else. Maybe related to this is that in the modern age of everyone being torn to shreds on social media and online, people are less likely to admit weakness/failures. [Just a theory.]

Unsurprisingly, it's not always an either-or situation - i.e., whether the person is a "real" victim or "playing the victim." Real victims often add a layer of "playing the victim" on top of genuinely being a victim. So it gets messy.

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 6:13 PM

R23 The problem is that the public's bullshit detector is not so well calibrated. The Jussie Smollett thing smelled like hot donkey shit the moment I heard about it. There's no 'perfect victim' but the fact that the media and the public believed the noose toting Trumptards in minus 30 degree weather story for MONTHS even after the Nigerian dudes were caught on camera buying rope does not give me hope for the future. AND I HATE TRUMP.

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 6:19 PM

R18 is what this thread is about. The interview. But carry on this is getting interesting.

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 6:21 PM

R24 probably believed Sherry Papini

And, no, the media did not buy his story for months. People started questioning his story after just a few days.

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 6:26 PM

Is this another thread about the Harkles?

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 6:26 PM

Republicans accuse minorities of playing the victim while claiming that straight white men have it harder than anyone else. But of course they wouldn't trade places with a minority or gay person for all the money in the world

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 6:27 PM

Why not, R27? They're the foremost practitioners of it these days. The Harkles' posturing to monetize their exit from one of the wealthiest families on earth doesn't make them victims.

When Harry and Meghan can claim victimhood from garden of their Montecito mansion, you know it's getting silly.

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 6:29 PM

R26 I have people on my Slack still defending Jussie Smollett from time to time. I work at a very woke place though.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 6:33 PM

We are at an uncomfortable point in Western history, where more and more victims are speaking out. Some are joining together on the internet to share stories and find strength in each other. Years ago, if you were for instance, a Native American who had been a victim of abuse at a Residential School in the 50s, then you had been a victim of the 60s "Baby Scoop", along with other injustices against Native folks, you may have felt isolated and unable to air your grievances. You were just a single poor minority with no means to fight the unjust system. Fast forward to now, and the internet has made things so easy. There are support groups, resource groups. When there are other victims you can communicate with easily, it makes it easier to stand up and fight back. Groups are now calling for these injustices to be addressed. People are finally able to piece their lives back together, because they have the resources and support. It's really tough time & yes it's upsetting when victims tell their truth. I almost vomited at some of the testimony given by some of Larry Nassar's victims, but it has to happen.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 6:33 PM

Is OP Russian? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 6:42 PM

R32 No.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2021 6:59 PM

R9 has it exactly right. In any given interaction, because of identity/intersectional politics, you are either oppressed or you are the oppressor. Zero sum. One or the other. And the oppressed always "wins." That's why there is a race to find the most aggrieved. Even the smallest things are counted. They are called micro-agressions.

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 6:59 PM

We're ALL victims, searching for a Safe Space where we can recover from all the Trauma we suffer. But you need to understand that MY trauma and suffering are worse and more important that yours, or anybody else's. I'm exhausted by having to tell you this, and you never seem to listen to what I am telling you. I am not here to educate you about my pain and suffering. You have to become educated and aware of it by the Reading Llst I am sending you now.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 7:20 PM

I think historically marginalized groups (women, trans, blacks) have been demanding respect and the acknowledgment of past injustices. To certain babies over the age of 50, this is change is overwhelming and leads to a lot of WHINING about "victim mentality" and "cancel culture". Mainstream culture changes, get the fuck over it.

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 7:26 PM

Because it's the highest form of ATTENTION SEEKING!

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 7:28 PM

R23 puts it well.

Lately, I’ve been hyperconscious about any potential for me to backslide into this, as I’m waiting on a diagnosis for Asperger’s and quite anxious about it. It’s likely that I do have it, but I’ve spent my entire youth and adolescence scrapping by with no support or acknowledgement of the fact. I sought a formal diagnosis, because I was tired of being offered ineffectual therapy and of asking for simple unobstrusive reasonable accommodations from people who see it as an high-scale assault on their freedom (say, if one asks them to turn down their stereo a notch or two).

The main concern for me is that others will think me attention-seeking, for getting a diagnosis and for pointing it out on rare occasion when things in my life get hard to manage. I also worry that I myself may unthinkingly use it as a crutch or a cop-out excuse, the last thing I want to do as someone who’s worked most of my life and has done so without much help.

All the same, I am at a stagnant place in my life and not getting anywhere through the usual channels, and all evidence points to the fact that ASD is probably the reason. So I feel this is my best option, uncomfortable as it is. Ironically, I used to be the first person to scoff at diagnoses for syndromes such as these, thinking it snowflake behaviour—that really came back around to bite me in the arse.

by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 7:51 PM

It's because we live in the Age of Emotion, amplified by social media.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 7:51 PM

Which interview is being shown on March 7?

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 7:55 PM

The Oprah Sussex interview. I can give you an example in real time of the trolling. Dlisted has just put up their post. The trolls flagged and monitored on the top gossip sites have been pushing these points. Victim mentality. The cost of Meghan's dress while playing victim. Bad timing. The pandemic and the Sussex being rich therefore they have a cheek complaining. And the biggest comment will be - I'm not watching, I have better things to do, I refuse to watch etc etc. These are scripted troll comments. Go sit on the Dlisted post and watch and read. It's eye-opening and all bought and paid for.

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 9:03 PM

I think attitudes have changed enabling people who are genuine victims of rape, incest, abuse, etc. to talk about their experience, however, that same *open dialogue* (if you will) mentality allows people who view themselves as victims (but in most cases, are really just their own worst enemy) to air their grievances too. I also think there is an unwillingness for people to want to take responsibility *for anything* - not just their own behavior, but their impact on the environment and to consider the health & welfare of people besides themselves. Where exactly that comes from, I'm not sure; Dump is emblematic of the problem, but others like Hawley & Cruz - for all their bravado - keep framing themselves as *victims*

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote] The trolls flagged and monitored on the top gossip sites have been pushing these points.

What points? Who do you think is doing the "monitoring"? Why don't you get a life? I cannot believe people are so invested in the drama created by celebrity culture.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 9:36 PM

R43, they listed the points for that example literally right after your quoted text. 🙄 These points are deliberately divisive and cast doubt, even when the subject is being transparent. In other words, disinformation.

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 9:46 PM

R38, I'm sort of on that same journey and get what you're saying. I self-diagnosed as on the spectrum two years ago. I've tried to get a diagnosis, but the doctor I saw did not want to diagnose me. I understand that there may not be a diagnosis by a doctor, and have considered further steps for diagnosis or accommodations in my life. Of course, some of this costs money and takes time. I do not have money or health insurance at this time. I understand what you're saying about the thoughts re: being a victim. Yes, it's difficult to ask for help when mainstream society portrays "seeking assistance" as "playing a victim", and it can be a real challenge. I literally won't talk to anyone about my self-diagnosis (except my husband and one autistic friend) because I've seen how autistic people are treated in my local gay community, so I just wear my "normie" mask as well as I can in public. Another autistic friend of mine is vocal about his struggles and the discrimination he faces, and I've heard people say he's "playing the victim". He goes to local drag shows and sits on a couch in the entrance by himself with headphones on because the noise is too much for him. He still enjoys the shows, but people will make shit out of him. Ironic that the A-list gays victimize him through insults, bullying and ostracisation, then say he has a "victim mentality".

by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2021 10:02 PM

You are batshit crazy. Who flags and monitors posters besides you and the loons with you?

You say this kind of stupid shit again and again and nothing ever fucking happens. You even write it the same way. Do you think you scare anyone much less convince them?

The crazy drips off your shitposting every time you're here, Meghanstan.

You are a paid shill for the Harkles. And we're not the ones paying you.

by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2021 10:03 PM

Laziness It's easier to be a victim than work hard.

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2021 10:05 PM

Bump! Seems slightly more relevant tonight!

by Anonymousreply 48March 8, 2021 1:09 AM

Definitley especially with gen z. I’ve never met such a whiney poor me group of people. These people had privileged childhoods and an easy life and still find ways to make themselves the victim.

by Anonymousreply 49March 8, 2021 1:18 AM

The concept of the "progessive stack" isn't helping. It essentially prioritizes groups' "voices" depending on how "oppressed" they are, which means white people, men, straights, and cissies can be sidelined and ignored regardless of the circumstances, even (or especially) if they're speaking up about toxic, unhelpful ideas as long as those ideas are coming from the "oppressed".

It's a grifter's and psychopath's wet dream to be able to dominate the discourse this way. It also incentivizes white, male, straight, cis people to come up with reasons why they rank higher on the progressive stack, so you see more and more questionable claims to minority racial heritage, special gender identities, minority sexualities, disabilities, and "neurodiversity" (aka mental illness).

Look at how many Zoomers are pretending to be LGBT these days. They're doing it to claim victim status so they're not an "oppressor".

The pendulum has swung too far, and society needs to go back to treating people as people. Enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 50March 8, 2021 1:29 AM

I guess it won’t matter when society falls apart

by Anonymousreply 51March 8, 2021 1:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!