Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do Dataloungers never want to identify who they are talking about?

A pet peeve of mine is that half the OPs of threads about obscure Internet celebrities (or obscure cute teen show celebrities) never even bother to identify who they are talking about for everyone else. Similarly, in the celebrity high school photos thread, many of the celebrities are either not identified at all (so no one knows whose photo it is) or they are referred to by obscure nicknames.

Why do so many Dataloungers do this? Why is it anathema to identify who you are talking about if the celebrity is either not well known or if there's a photo that makes him/her unidentifiable? Are people being cute, or is that they are so personally obsessed with these celebrities they think everyone immediately knows who they are talking about?

I am not asking for people to post things like "actress Meryl Streep," but wouldn't it make sense to identify Gage Gomez at the OP as "James Charles' lover"?

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2020 3:09 AM

Someone needs a damp towel and some Thorazine

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2020 8:42 PM

I agree OP. Though it’s been a while since a gossip thread, the coyness is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2020 8:49 PM

There's a cutesy, coy approach towards discussing twinks on Internet media and on teen shows that might stem from a frau invasion--it certainly2 stems from some sort of stan attitude:

"Of course you know who I am talking about, because I think about this person night and day, so you must be too! It would be vulgar to name him because we all of course are always thinking about him, so I will refer to him only coyly, by a cute nickname if at all."

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2020 11:40 PM

I'd go farther: make sure you also identify James Charles as "vapid twink vlogger James Charles."

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2020 11:50 PM

Because we are all deliberately trying to exclude you, OP.

Drat! You have pick up on our plan.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2020 11:53 PM

Because half of them are just making up these stories.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2020 11:53 PM

As Calpernia Addams once said, "It's not my job to educate you."

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2020 12:43 AM

I get what you're saying, OP. And I've been guilty of doing that. But I don't think it's a DL thing. Lots of gossip sites do that. Even the ones on tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2020 2:45 AM

It's not coyness, but efficiency?

Why would gossip about someone you can't identify matter? If you don't know who they are, what their relevance or claim to fame is, or to whom they are connected, how could any gossip about them be interesting to you?

At that point, the gossip or discussion is about as interesting as going to the wedding as someone's plus one and know even knowing the bride or groom, let alone any of their friends or anyone else in the room. People are just talking about other people, situations, and news that have no context.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2020 3:04 AM

There are lawsuits. My neighbor, who I will not name, was sue-happy.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2020 3:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!