Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies, TV Shows, Bway, Opera, etc, you never want to see again because they've ben overdone

Sound of Music and West Side Story Movies

Gypsy on Bway

La Boheme and Carmen Operas

Any Dr Show on TV

by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2020 1:53 AM

It saddens me, because he's a genius and all, but we really need to stick most of the Sondheim canon away in a drawer for a decade or two: COMPANY, FOLLIES, SWEENEY, INTO THE WOODS, SUNDAY etc. Enough already.

If someone wants to reinvent EVENING PRIMROSE or THE FROGS, I might be more on board.

And god yes, to SOUND OF MUSIC, WSS, GYPSY, and any version of LA BOHEME (including RENT).

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2020 4:49 PM

Movies:

Little Women

Pride & Prejudice

Emma

Oliver Twist

Romeo & Juliet

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2020 4:53 PM

Any iteration of:

ALICE IN WONDERLAND (or the other ALICE stories)

THE WIZARD OF OZ

A CHRISTMAS CAROL

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2020 5:07 PM

Any biopic, whether on stage, screen, or TV, of fucking Marilyn Monroe. I don't need another scene of some b list actress in a bad wig impersonating Monroe's (in my opinion ) repulsive breathy baby vocalizations. Or shoving a bunch of pills in her mouth while weeping. Monroe has got to be the most overrated woman of all time. I'd rather watch a Joan Crawford biopic than another Marilyn film.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2020 5:24 PM

Little Women

Jane Austen's Emma

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2020 5:26 PM

Anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

After PHANTOM, everything has sucked

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2020 5:28 PM

Sorry, ladies. Remakes, revisions and reboots of those classic stories aren't going anywhere. Why? Because most of them are in the public domain and free to use. No one says you have to watch them,

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2020 5:29 PM

Let me reiterate: Little Women.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2020 5:31 PM

Cop shows. Lawyer shows. Doctor shows.

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2020 5:35 PM

The music biopics are getting out of hand. We already have films in the works about Aretha, Boy George, Elvis, Bowie, Amy Winehouse and others, plus a Dylan biopic starring Timméeeee. Enough, ffs.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2020 5:36 PM

You're correct about some of them, R7. (None of the shows I mentioned at R1 are in the public domain, however.) That is no excuse.

If writers and directors keep mining the same 10 properties over and over again, it marks a complete failure of creative imagination, and they need to be called on their tired shit.

And I agree with R8: if LITTLE WOMEN is only a middling hit at the box office or with awards committees, Gerwig has only herself to blame. Work harder next time, Greta.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2020 5:36 PM

R2 I agree wholeheartedly with all of those except Oliver Twist. I think a contemporary version of Oliver might be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2020 5:45 PM

Funny you should mention a modern version of Oliver R12.

The new Disney 'Twist' movie might just fulfill your wishes, it sounds horrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2020 5:52 PM

There are plenty of books, plays and other intellectual property in the public domain that have yet to be filmed; my go-to citation here is American writer William Dean Howells, whose realist novels such as Dr. Breen's Practice, A Modern Instance, The Rise of Silas Lapham, A Hazard of New Fortunes and The Landlord at Lion's Head are underappreciated classics that were immensely popular in their time but have yet to be filmed.

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2020 5:53 PM

No more Agatha Christie vanity remakes either, Kenneth Branagh.

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2020 5:55 PM

r10, agreed. I understand why it's done. It's a cheap and dirty way to get asses in seats. But I'm not interested in watching a less famous person impersonating an ultra-famous person fucking, taking drugs, agonizing in moments of stress, or grimacing in triumph to a soundtrack of music I'm overfamiliar with. As far as Aretha, when I think of her life being acted out I just want to cry. Let the poor woman rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2020 5:57 PM

COMPANY

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2020 7:39 PM

All things vampire and werewolf, for at least the next 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2020 8:01 PM

I’m adding zombies to r18’s selections.

by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2020 8:07 PM

Nobody is forced to see these.

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2020 8:07 PM

Jukebox musicals are ALL pretty awful.

by Anonymousreply 21January 9, 2020 8:10 PM

With those stupid vampire books, r20, I was forced to listen to my stupid friends rave on about them.

by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2020 8:12 PM

With those stupid vampire books, r20, I was forced to listen to my stupid friends rave on about them.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2020 8:12 PM

Regional companies can stop presenting "Annie."

by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2020 8:28 PM

Cats.

by Anonymousreply 25January 9, 2020 8:29 PM

[quote]Nobody is forced to see these.

That is the world's worst excuse for making Bad Art.

by Anonymousreply 26January 9, 2020 8:38 PM

Steel Magnolias is an epidemic in the south. Every regional theater, community theater, college theater, and even high school theater has done it 30 times over. Annie is another one that needs a good, long break.

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2020 8:39 PM

Gypsy can go to sleep for a good 20 years unless Toni Collette wants to take a shot at it on stage or on film in the next 5 or 10 years. I'd make an exception if someone really brilliant took on the lead role, but I don't think the world needs to see someone like Sutton Foster play the role. Snooze!

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2020 8:40 PM

Stephen King adaptations. I'd be fine if they were picking stories that either never got adapted or were poorly adapted the first time, but why are they turning Carrie into a fucking series now? That TV movie from the early 2000s was lousy and so was the theatrical remake 10 years after that. De Palma got it right and even King said he only improved upon the source material. Leave it alone. There's nothing else to do with that material.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2020 8:42 PM

If we're not still making money from an adaptation of something, then that adaptation doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 30January 9, 2020 9:06 PM

We can now put Hello, Dolly! to rest. Bette Midler was great but it's a severely dated show

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2020 6:07 PM

I truly hate all cop shows. Most of all law and order.

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2020 7:40 PM

Hello, Dolly is about as cheesy and dated as a show can get, but that recent Broadway production was simply glorious. So colorful and full of energy. Adding that useless song for Horace at the start of act 2 didn't help the pacing, though. That should have stayed in one of Jerry Herman's trunks.

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2020 9:20 PM

Uggh. I'm a theatregoer (and theatre lover) and just heard about yet another stage musical based on PETER PAN in development at La Jolla.

For god's sakes, let's move on. Writers, directors, producers: you have the entire history of art at your fingertips. Stop recycling the same tired shit.

by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2020 5:34 PM

Jane Eyre

by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2020 7:08 PM

FOLLIES

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2020 6:49 PM

A friend saw the new West Side Story over the weekend. He called it "a disaster." He hated the oppressively ominpresent screen and camera action, and thought the leads were considerably less than talented.

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2020 6:54 PM

r37, the new Broadway production or the new Spielberg movie?

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2020 6:56 PM

r38 the Broadway production

by Anonymousreply 39January 13, 2020 6:57 PM

I saw Hello Dolly! on Broadway three times: Once with Bette, Donna & Bernadette. Carolee Carmello got raves for the tour and if she had a brief stop in NY, I'd see it for a fourth time!

by Anonymousreply 40January 13, 2020 7:00 PM

I didn't see CATS in either incarnation. I actually wanted to get high and go see the movie but by the time I got organized they'd yanked it out of theatres.

by Anonymousreply 41January 13, 2020 7:09 PM

[quote]The new Disney 'Twist' movie might just fulfill your wishes, it sounds horrible.

Rita Ora???!!!! And Michael Caine? WTF!!! Does he have dementia?

by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2020 7:13 PM

R41 I feel sorry for my friend who has always hated the musical "Cats" and would not go to the last revival. He just booked a gay cruise, and guess what the musical they are doing is.......

by Anonymousreply 43January 13, 2020 7:13 PM

I expected to hate Hello, Dolly when it returned to Broadway, but hot damn - it was a really infectious, tuneful piece of joy. I went back and saw each leading lady - Midler, Peters, and Murphy and each one was wonderful in their own way. I even caught a tour performance with Betty Buckley and she was...well, let's just say she's not a natural comedienne and leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 44January 13, 2020 7:15 PM

I am sick of Carmen. Especially in figure skating. Enough is enough.

Comic/superhero movies. Never cared about them and never will.

I don't watch much tv any more but I got real sick of the lurid, dark and gritty crime shows. Almost all of them about women or children being abused and killed. This is entertainment?

by Anonymousreply 45January 13, 2020 7:19 PM

Blossom Time

The Student Prince

The Merry Widow

I wish they would stop reviving them.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2020 7:22 PM

R45, I laughed at the Carmen in ice skating mention because I recently had that exact conversation with a friend. They HAVE to stop choosing Carmen and Fire Bird.

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2020 7:54 PM

No more "found footage " scary movies. They are ugly, lacking in any artistry and profoundly fucking stupid. At a certain point someone being chased by a zombie or whatever would just drop the camera. Even if they were a millennial.

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2020 7:58 PM

HMS Pinafore

by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2020 8:07 PM

R49 Oh poor little Buttercup.

by Anonymousreply 50January 13, 2020 8:08 PM

Neil Innes' recent death reawakened my longing to see a jukebox musical featuring the music of the Bonzo Dog Band. But getting the rights, putting together a suitable theatrical framework, and finding an audience would probably be a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2020 8:14 PM

R48, did you ever see that found footage movie where there was a point about 70 minutes in where the whole remaining cast was in a car and they have a huge accident, killing everyone and the screen just cuts to black and they play the end credits? I even want to say they posted a link to a website to find out what happened. The entire audience groaned. I'll give 'em this much - at least it was somewhat realistic, but talk about anti-climactic.

by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2020 9:33 PM

The musical "Chicago" and all of its tired Fosse posturing.

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2020 9:56 PM

All those L&O-type and doctor shows. All "fakery" shows (what others call "reality") and all of the talking heads on tv.

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2020 10:10 PM

R52 Haha, no I haven't seen that one thankfully. I now avoid anything with found footage after sitting through so many stinkers.

by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2020 9:30 AM

Dance companies? Please stick THE NUTCRACKER into a sealed box. And stop creating your own versions of it.

It's a really tiresome story.

by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2020 12:02 AM

OKLAHOMA (four times in my life is enough, two times against my will) LITTLE WOMEN THE NUTCRACKER SUPERMAN, LOIS AND CLARK, SMALLVILLE, METROPOLIS, CLARK AND LOIS, etc. etc. you get the idea GYPSY LA CAGE AUX FOLLES / BIRDCAGE

Dishonorable mention: CATS! I saw the "musical?" once on Broadway. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2020 1:16 AM

Anything by Arthur Miller.

by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2020 2:02 AM

Totally agree with the person who said "A Christmas Carol"! Note to filmmakers: there's no law that says there has to be a new version every frickin' year.

Also, "A Streetcar Named Desire". Unfortunately, every actress who sees herself as a Master Thespian will feel entitled to star in a production.

by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2020 2:22 AM

There have been far too many versions of[italic] Dracula. [/italic]They get worse and worse as time goes on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2020 2:46 AM

I grew up in Queens.

My father and my younger brother LOVE LOVE LOVE Broadway musicals. A CHORUS LINE!

I'd rather be outside swimming, running, playing soccer, but my brother and father would rush to get tickets to local community theater productions. GYPSY!

They would participate in raffles and newspaper contests to win Broadway tickets. A CHRISTMAS CAROL!

If it's on a stage, they'd want to see it. OKLAHOMA!

Discount ticket lines, they're on it! 42ND STREET!

On one hand, their love of the theater exposed me to culture and it was probably easier for me to come out to my family. LA CAGE AUX FOLLES!

On the other hand, sitting through GYPSY, OKLAHOMA, 42nd STREET, A CHORUS LINE, PAJAMA GAME, CHRISTMAS CAROL, ASPECTS OF LOVE or GREASE again seems like waterboarding to me. There's a new production of OKLAHOMA on Broadway again and my 40 year-old brother says we HAVE to see it. I love him, I do, but this is one topic where we always end up in an argument.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2020 11:35 AM

r61, I'm not a musicals queen, but if I lived in New York, I would run to get tickets to see / hear Damon Daunno in OKLAHOMA. (Is it still playing?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 16, 2020 11:40 AM

"Woke-lahoma" is closing Sunday, R62.

by Anonymousreply 63January 16, 2020 2:18 PM

I refused to go to "Woke-lahoma", R63, even though it got raves. I saw it in 2002 and enjoyed that production very much. I can also revisit it thanks to a copy I found on line as well as the PBS broadcast with Hugh Jackman earlier in London and even the 1979 revival with the great Mary Wickes. But enough is enough of altering works that don't need them even to please the SJW crowd, just like they are doing with "West Side Story", which I just saw on Broadway 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 64January 16, 2020 2:32 PM

Woke, schmoke. I just wanna see Damon Daunno.

by Anonymousreply 65January 16, 2020 2:38 PM

Hello R62, Greetings from R61.

Yes, OKLAHOMA is still on Broadway but only for two more nights. My brother and my niece went to see it. They loved it, but I've seen the show over and over and I don't ever want to see it again (like the title of the thread asks).

Would you like to join my brother to see MRS. DOUBTFIRE, COMPANY, VIRGINIA WOOLF or GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY?

by Anonymousreply 66January 17, 2020 3:06 AM

I just read the gratifyingly snarky review in The Atlantic of RDJ's new version of DR. DOLITTLE. Which sounds beyond dreadful.

Even though the original movie with Rex Harrison was pretty bad, Hollywood keeps ladling this one up over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 67January 17, 2020 3:12 AM

Death of a Salesman

The Odd Couple

The Little Foxes

by Anonymousreply 68January 17, 2020 3:21 AM

"Our American Cousin."

by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2020 3:27 AM

La Traviata, Tosca, Rigoletto, Don Giovanni, The Marriage of Figaro, Carmen... I mean just about the entire standard opera rep. There just aren't the singers to make them fresh and exciting. A queenie director who likes to strip men naked and set the opera in a refrigerator, the gulag or on a Carnival Cruise does not bring freshness to old works he's just having his own private camp fest. And the producers are even bigger queens who revel in this morass daring people not to find them new and exciting.

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2020 10:52 PM

Disney rehashing all their movies in musical and live action/CGI format is getting beyond tedious. What the hell was wrong with the original Lion King, Beauty & The Beast, Little Mermaid, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 71January 20, 2020 4:29 AM

Jukebox musicals and 80's film musicals on Broadway. I went to go see Jagged Little Pill with a friend because he wanted to see it and damn near walked out. It's just Next To Normal set to Morisette's music. Lazy, cheap, and awful theatre.

by Anonymousreply 72January 20, 2020 4:39 AM

Well if it’s Ben overdone, the it must be Dear Evan Hansen and the Politician.

by Anonymousreply 73January 20, 2020 5:07 AM

meryl streep in ANYTHING

by Anonymousreply 74January 20, 2020 6:35 AM

Spider-Man. How many fucking times has it been rebooted in the last 20 years? Into the Spider-Verse was fantastic and I like Tom Holland but I gave up over Tobey.

by Anonymousreply 75January 20, 2020 7:20 AM

How about "Robin Hood"? Or maybe you know it as "The Prince of Thieves" or "Disney's Robin Hood" or "Robin Hood: The Movie" or "The Adventures of Robin Hood" or "Robin Hood and His Merry Men".

This story hasn't been remade as a movie since 2018 with Taron Egerton.

by Anonymousreply 76January 22, 2020 12:45 AM

Any movie involving snatching:

SNATCHERS / INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS / BODY SNATCHERS / THE INVASION

by Anonymousreply 77January 22, 2020 12:50 AM

If you don;t want to see them, don;t watch them.

I never understand the idea that just THE MERE IDEA that there is another remake of Gypsy on Broadway, or Pride and Prejudice in the movies, is somehow injurious to the mental health of Dataloungers. Those who make that argument are annoying fussy prisspots.

If the public gets sick of something, they won't go, and no one is forcing you to go yourself. But insisting other people not see them (or that they don't get made at all) is some sort of bizarrely prissy extreme form of narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 78January 22, 2020 12:56 AM

Sometimes it just gets better. I never saw the original Gypsy as it was before my time but I saw the one with Angela Lansbury and I think she was better than Merman as I did see clips of Merman's Mama Rose. Years later I saw Tyne Daly's Mama Rose and she was better than all of the other ones put together. So sometimes it works, sometimes, like with West Side Story it doesn't. When I was a kid my father took me to a WSS production at Lincoln Center and it wasn't good and the new movie is definitely not an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 79January 22, 2020 12:58 AM

R79 agreed. A good production of a classic show with some great performances can make it feel fresh again. Some works just aren't good enough to withstand many new interpretations. Gypsy, Death of A Salesman, A Streetcar Named Desire, Cabaret, etc. are almost always a good night of theatre because of how well they're written and constructed. They're basically fool proof shows in many ways. I've seen huge miscastings and misinterpretations of these shows that still managed to get some sort of emotion out of me.

by Anonymousreply 80January 22, 2020 1:04 AM

I hope after Law&Order:SVU ends, there are no more shows done in that franchise.

by Anonymousreply 81January 22, 2020 1:20 AM

'I never understand the idea that just THE MERE IDEA that there is another remake of Gypsy on Broadway, or Pride and Prejudice in the movies, is somehow injurious to the mental health of Dataloungers.'

Well then you don't know us very well.

by Anonymousreply 82January 22, 2020 1:26 AM

No, you don’t get it r78. It's that all the money, talent, music, etc., $$$ resources devoted to this recycling tired crap, over & over, are being diverted away from staging new, imaginative productions, new stories, new music. There's only a limited amount of talent & money around.

It’s a complaint about pipelining the same old pieces, to the exclusion of new ones. It’s a wonder Hamilton ever got made.

by Anonymousreply 83January 22, 2020 1:41 AM

There are about 10,000 different Dracula movies and TV shows so we don't need any more of those.

Between remakes and ripoffs, Invasion of the Body Snatchers has been done to death. I read they were thinking about doing a 4th remake of that but they really shouldn't.

I hope that Halloween Ends really will be the end of the series. If you have to repeatedly start over from scratch because you can't stop fucking everything up, maybe that's a sign you should just call it quits.

by Anonymousreply 84January 22, 2020 2:23 AM

Can't they come up with anything new or original?

by Anonymousreply 85January 22, 2020 3:04 AM

Disney live action reboots of classic animated cartoons. The new Maleficent (though it made plenty of money) was much less successful than the first one which was a smash hit, so I think that franchise is dead for awhile. What's next, a live action THREE CABALLEROS?

by Anonymousreply 86January 22, 2020 3:24 AM

I used to love movies about zombies but The Walking Dead never ending and so many zombie movies, I'm a bit zombied out.

by Anonymousreply 87January 22, 2020 4:40 AM

R87 I feel the same way.

by Anonymousreply 88January 22, 2020 1:44 PM

I'm aware of four KING KONG movies and the Broadway musical and an animated feature.

(Not including KING KONG VS. GODZILLA or SKULL ISLAND)

Isn't it time for an updated remake? There hasn't been a KING KONG movie for ages since 2016.

by Anonymousreply 89January 24, 2020 1:46 AM

Hey R84, I owe you an apology. I read your post on Wednesday night and thought you were joking or being sarcastic, another guy trying to stir things up. But then this morning, I heard on the radio that Universal Pictures is going to produce another INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. You were right, R84. They really are running out of new ideas.

by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2020 1:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!