Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elizabeth Is Missing starring Glenda Jackson

A brilliant, suspenseful drama starring the incredible Glenda Jackson.

She plays Maud, an outspoken old lady suffering from dementia, searching for her friend who has disappeared. A brilliant mix of drama, suspense, dark humour and creeping terror.

Has anyone seen it?

If this was released in the cinema I think Glenda would easily get her third Oscar! It's on BBC Iplayer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 13, 2021 7:18 PM

It's definitely going on my to view list. I saw her as "King Lear" on Broadway last spring and even if the revival itself was a bit of a misfire, she truly was commanding. I wish they had filmed "Three Tall Women" which was nearly impossible to get tickets to the season before.

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2020 7:46 PM

You didn't miss much re: Three Tall Women. It was poorly directed and suffered from being in a Broadway house. Mantello didn't get the play. Jackson was fine, but much of the praise was because she was Glenda Jackson, returning from decades of public service to grace the stage again. The original production at the Promenade was much more affecting.

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2020 7:53 PM

Great twist ending

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2020 8:03 PM

I have to disagree with R2 about that production of Three Tall Women. I thought it was incredibly affecting. Jackson’s final moment with the two other actresses was something I’ll never forget. And it was worth it to catch Laurie Metcalfe’s ferocious monologue in Act II.

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2020 8:22 PM

I read the book, actually listened to the audiobook read by Davina Porter. I'm not sure a film would be the same experience, not better or worse, but certainly different. The main character doesn't feel she has a problem from her point of view, so we have to rely on the comments and actions of those around her to grasp how serious a condition it is.

by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2020 8:26 PM

R5 it's pretty much like that in the film and the editing is very disconcerting. I feel like I don't understand the significance of the letter she receives and hides from her family..?

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2020 8:28 PM

I partly agree with R2 - the original Off-Broadway production was much better. My issue with the Mantello production is that (SPOILER!) if the 2nd act is about the three actresses being the same woman at different points in live, it was impossible to see how Metcalf could become Jackson (starting with the completely different accents). The Off-Broadway production was better cast in terms of serving the play vs. the boxoffice.

This new film sounds interesting. IMDB lists it as a TV movie so I hope it lands in the U.S. soon.

As for Jackson and LEAR, I gather the very different production she did in London was far superior. I don't always like director Deborah Warner's work, but she doesn't do some of the idiotic things that Sam Gold is prone to doing.

by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2020 8:32 PM

I'll have to listen to the book again, which would be no problem as I don't remember most of the details. I do recall a scene where she tries to do volunteer work at a charity shop, completely messing up so that they have to throw her out when they realize she's incapable, which was very sad.

by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2020 8:33 PM

R8 A lot of the humour seemed quite British and dry. The film was amusing in places and Glenda painted such a realistic portrait of Maud. It was compelling.

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2020 8:39 PM

Who killed her sister?

by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2020 8:57 PM

Still don't her the ending. How did she know?

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2020 6:00 AM

After seeing "King Lear", I did a "Glenda Jackson film festival", finding copies of many of her obscure films like "Triple Echo" and "Turtle Diary" and watching "Women in Love" and "The Rainbow" back to back. ("The Rainbow" is a prequel to "Women in Love" and stars Glenda as her previous character's mother). There was also "Business as Usual" where she takes on the patriarchy as a woman wrongly terminated for confronting her boss who sexually harassed a co-worker. It was ahead of its time in several ways as Glenda actually takes the case to the House of Commons. Today, it would probably be a BBC movie, but as one of her last theatrical movies, it was a hint of things to come for her.

I know that Dame Maggie Smith did "Three Tall Women" in London. Rumor has it that the one person play she appeared in recently (Maggie) might end up at BAM.

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2020 12:41 PM

Anyone else streamed this on BBC Iplayer?

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2020 4:14 PM

Glenda played the lead role in the film of Garcia Lorca's "The House of Bernarda Alba." Highly recommended!

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2020 5:09 PM

She was great as the Nixon character in the movie that did Watergate with nuns.

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2020 6:32 PM

Glenda is tremendous and phenomenal in this TV movie!

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2020 9:19 PM

Glenda got anything else lined up?

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2020 12:53 PM

Boy is R2 wrong. The production was brilliant, including the direction.

by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2020 12:58 PM

Sam Gold is the worst director currently working in the theatre. He did not deserve to work with Glenda Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 19January 25, 2020 1:00 PM

R10, you're a fucking cunt. F&F.

by Anonymousreply 20January 25, 2020 1:01 PM

[quote]Mantello didn't get the play.

Yeah, the Tony committee and the Drama Desks don't agree with you. As usual here, all professionals in theater especially the successful all suck. All of them, we get get it already....zzzzzzzzzz yawn...zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 21January 25, 2020 1:05 PM

Is that the only place to see it?

by Anonymousreply 22January 25, 2020 1:13 PM

Is that the only place to see it?

by Anonymousreply 23January 25, 2020 1:13 PM

I’m sorry, I seem to have double penetrated the thread.

by Anonymousreply 24January 25, 2020 1:15 PM

It might be on Dailymotion now.

by Anonymousreply 25January 25, 2020 6:02 PM

Was Glenda the first Best Actress winner to show her tits?

by Anonymousreply 26January 25, 2020 7:30 PM

No, she was not.

by Anonymousreply 27January 25, 2020 7:34 PM

I found it on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 30, 2020 4:13 PM

R10: I scrolled through quickly hoping to avoid spoilers as I searched for viewing venues for "Elizabeth is Missing."

Thanks, jackass R10, for your four word spoiler comment. Always type [SPOILER] before divulging any plot points and/or at least have the decency to bury the revelation within the body of a multi-sentence paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 29January 30, 2020 4:47 PM

Is it a musical?

by Anonymousreply 30January 30, 2020 4:58 PM

R29 sorry, it wasn't meant as a spoiler. It's in the basic description of the program that the disappearance of her friend relates to her sister's death years before..

by Anonymousreply 31January 30, 2020 5:12 PM

Anybody else seen this? Glenda got a much deserved BAFTA nomination for this!

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2020 9:26 PM

Never heard of it but it sounds perfect for me. I’ll check it out

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2020 9:31 PM

She keeps her beaver put away in this one???

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2020 9:36 PM

Popped "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on a few weeks ago on a rainy lock down afternoon. Forgotten how great film was including Glenda Jackson.

That British television production of Elizabeth R staring Glenda Jackson remains the defining performance of the Virgin Queen IMHO. Glenda Jackson got to reprise role some what later in film Mary, Queen of Scots playing opposite Vanessa Redgrave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2020 9:42 PM

Trailer for film Mary Queen of Scots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2020 9:43 PM

Glenda just won the Best Actress BAFTA for her performanc. Well deserved

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2020 9:05 PM

For fucks sake stop with dementia flicks!

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2020 9:07 PM

I downloaded it on Piratebay. Great movie but like the poster above I was confused by the letter.

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2020 5:30 AM

It’s airing on PBS tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 3, 2021 11:20 PM

I wish I had been able to see Jackson, one of my favorite actresses, on stage in ... anything. I thought "Elizabeth is Missing" was really lame, and I hope her next project, "Mothering Sunday", is more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2021 11:28 PM

It was tough to watch, dementia is such a horror and there were some loose ends.

**SPOILER** -Were people ie police, Elizabeth’s son telling Maud that Elizabeth was in the hospital and she just kept forgetting? -Did Maud really get the key and go into Elizabeth’s house? or was that a delusion (because the lock box was not there when she left) Actually I have quite a few more questions so I guess I should just read the book. It’s really meant to be less of a mystery and more about growing old.

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2021 3:42 AM

It's an absolute scandal that Dame Glenda was not nominated for an Emmy, Golden Globe or SAG award. She was transcendent

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2021 6:59 PM

This is an outrage. The parts of people with Alzheimer's should only be played by people actually suffering from Alzheimer's (though admittedly things like remembering their lines and wandering off the set may be a problem).

by Anonymousreply 44May 13, 2021 7:03 PM

Go and fart on yourself R44

by Anonymousreply 45May 13, 2021 7:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!