Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rene Zellweger was Horrible as Judy Garland

Please tell me I’m not alone is saying this. Good god. Judy Davis was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2021 7:05 AM

I haven't seen it so I shouldn't comment but my grandparents turned me on to Judy 50 years ago and the clip I saw of Rene doing Judy was terrible so I've avoided watching it. Judy was so weird and quirky. The only people who've pulled off a decent impersonation have been drag queens who understood and appreciated her nuances.

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2020 1:20 AM

You may eat your words when she wins the Global Globe tonight.

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2020 1:58 AM

You're crazy, OP. Zellwegger has gotten a lot of critical acclaim for her performance.

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2020 2:05 AM

And they would be wrong r3.

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2020 2:19 AM

She sucked in that unnecessary movie.

by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2020 2:21 AM

Zellweger was great.

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2020 2:22 AM

I thought her performance consisted of pursing her lips to express emotion.

by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2020 2:25 AM

She didn’t even sound like her. No effort whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2020 2:26 AM

And she just won the Golden Globe. Hollywood is so facile. Poor Judy.

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2020 3:08 AM

Ahem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2020 1:20 PM

What drugs was she doing last night?

And who designed that beaver-shot gown for her to wear? The front needed desperately to be stitched closed.

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2020 1:23 PM

You're crazy OP, she was terrific and deserved the award last night.

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2020 1:41 PM

I hope she wears blue. I like blue.

I'll give you blue, Joey Luft. BLACK and blue. Now get your ass into the kitchen and finish Bedazzling™ those protest posters. We've got less than a month.

by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2020 2:34 PM

The performance was great but the movie sucked ass.

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2020 2:39 PM

I thought she was really good. The most surprising thing was her singing, which was done live. I expected her to be awful, but her singing was actually pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2020 3:05 PM

I thought she was good in it, but the story itself was rather bland.

by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2020 3:23 PM

Renee can't sing like Judy - but who could? - but I admired her acting performance. The thing I liked about the portrayal was how funny it showed Judy to be. But those flashbacks to girl Judy at MGM were unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 17January 6, 2020 3:30 PM

r17 not really it was to juxtapose her love for her children vs how badly she was treated as a child. I loved the line, "don't call me a bad mother, I know what a bad mother is.."

by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2020 6:08 PM

I think Renee captured Judy Garland's sense of humour.

by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2020 8:04 PM

She was good in the film (sometimes better, particularly in the scenes between Judy and Sid), but she wasn't in Judy Davis' league. I thin it was a mistake for her to do her own singing as RZ isn't a particularly good singer to begin with and she didn't sound remotely like Garland.

The film itself was very weak.

by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2020 8:49 PM

This means the Oscar is now a shoe-in for her.

by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2020 9:39 PM

R21 = Glenn

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2020 9:57 PM

For those who didn't like Rene's performance, who would you recommend to play the part in her place?

by Anonymousreply 23January 6, 2020 10:16 PM

[quote]For those who didn't like Rene's performance, who would you recommend to play the part in her place?

No one. Me and My Shadow was the ultimate Garland bio.

Hell, Andrea McArdle in Rainbow was less wooden.

by Anonymousreply 24January 6, 2020 10:33 PM

I've told some friends who saw the movie to watch the "Sid and Judy" documentary. Zellwegger was good playing someone (who I'm not sure was Judy Garland}. What didn't come across to me was why was this character so revered and people so excited about. IF you didn't know who she was you wouldn't get the impression that there was anything important about the person.

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2020 10:55 PM

No one will ever top Judy Davis and Tammy Blanchard in “Me and My Shadows”. That actually should’ve been a big screen biopic.

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2020 10:57 PM

I finally got around to seeing this tonight. I would have enjoyed it more if they had called it "Neely" instead.

by Anonymousreply 27January 7, 2020 1:29 AM

Squinty MacDoogle.

by Anonymousreply 28January 7, 2020 2:55 AM

OMG. Judy Garland was such a mess.

by Anonymousreply 29January 7, 2020 5:18 AM

I'm like R1 -- could barely watch the preview on youtube -- and other clips on tv -- without cringing so I haven't seen the film, but thought Zellweger came off like Glenn Close last night. LIke she expected and deserved to win. Her speech was SO condescending and patronizing, as if she was one of The Great Stars.

Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 30January 7, 2020 5:40 AM

She did a decent job in her acting and movement but the singing was terrible. Like a road show version performance from a Broadway musical about Judy. Agree with the poster above that if you had never heard of Garland you wouldn't be impressed. Judy Davis was so much better.

by Anonymousreply 31January 7, 2020 7:56 AM

Her mannerism in the movie is awful and infuriating like try-hard impersonation. I would be phenomenal in this role with good makeup!

MEH!

by Anonymousreply 32January 7, 2020 8:09 AM

I can't imagine Judy Davis as Judy Garland. Zellweger ( in the trailer, I won't watch the movie thanks, I hate biopic, they ALWAYS suck) ) But anyway nothing can be worse than giant frumpy dark eyed what's-her-name, the poor man's Julia Roberts-resurrected-from-planet-oblivia woman who ' played ' VIVIEN fucking LEIGH in ' my week with Marilyn. But then again, miss Kenneth was cast as Olivier and that Goose Williams woman was cast as Marilyn Monroe, so I assume the casting director of that movie was psychotic and off her meds.

by Anonymousreply 33January 7, 2020 7:44 PM

Anyway, Zellweger managed to have something in that trailer, that was reminiscent of late Judy Garland

by Anonymousreply 34January 7, 2020 7:45 PM

R33, watch ME AND MY SHADOW and judge Judy Davis for yourself.

I thought Michelle Williams was better as Monroe than I was expecting. No one is really going to fully capture Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 35January 7, 2020 7:50 PM

Not even Marilyn Monroe could fully capture Marilyn. I read that in the later years, it took 9 HOURS to make her up, and then she could only work for so long before collapsing.

by Anonymousreply 36January 7, 2020 7:54 PM

I thought she was great

by Anonymousreply 37January 7, 2020 7:59 PM

[quote]I read that in the later years, it took 9 HOURS to make her up,

Um, no.

by Anonymousreply 38January 7, 2020 9:32 PM

I could have done without the scene of Rene fingering that young woman in the back of a car while she used her other hand to casually smoke a cigarette.

It was in very poor taste.

by Anonymousreply 39January 7, 2020 10:07 PM

Was that supposed to be funny R39?

by Anonymousreply 40January 7, 2020 10:13 PM

Read REX Reed's review he nailed it

by Anonymousreply 41January 7, 2020 10:30 PM

Ghoulish-faced Judy Davis in an orange wig recreating The Trolley Song in "Me and My Shadows" remains one of the most bizarre movie scenes I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 42January 7, 2020 11:30 PM

Yes, Judy Davis did what I thought was previously impossible: Looking too old for Judy Garland.

But she got the twitchy Judy of the '60s' mannerisms down cold.

by Anonymousreply 43January 8, 2020 2:07 AM

Just watched this absolutely slow mess of a movie. I thought RZ was great!

by Anonymousreply 44January 9, 2020 8:09 AM

Serious question: Not into Garland but I want to see this film. Which movie or clips should I watch to get a feel so I can compare Zellweger's performance? Is there something that personifies Garland enough for me to get somewhat of an idea of how she truly was as a reference?

by Anonymousreply 45January 9, 2020 10:00 AM

I've only seen a trailer for this movie, but based on that, I agree with OP. It was Renee's Bridget Jones shtick all over again.

by Anonymousreply 46January 9, 2020 2:03 PM

R45 I would watch her (RZ) singing performances, because she emulates JG perfect. I was unfamiliar with JG as an individual, and she appeared to be a hot mess with a life full of bad mistakes. She was uninsurable and was not dependable so that is why her career stopped. Pills and booze, very bad combination.

The movie was slow. I could not finish it...

by Anonymousreply 47January 9, 2020 9:34 PM

R41 Reason enough to love the film....which I did. He's an old clown.

by Anonymousreply 48January 9, 2020 9:39 PM

Not one fucking bugle bead, sequin or palette on her Valley of the Doll Helen Lawson suit worn in the opening scenes OR the white version of the same suit worn later on in the film.

How second rate. Just like the lead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2020 1:59 AM

I thought she was great. If you think of it as a fictional movie, you can see that she really created a character not dependent on the real Judy. And in brief shots you would get quick glimpses of real Judy that felt very eerie. The screenplay, however, was a sit-n-spin. Thank GOD for the flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2020 1:24 PM

no the MGM flashbacks were all wrong.. Louis B Mayer was the same height as the child Judy, not the giant presented in the film.

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2020 1:28 PM

R50: " If you think of it as a fictional movie, you can see that she really created a character not dependent on the real Judy."

That has to be THE most moronic comment I've ever read on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2020 2:55 PM

The film itself is mediocre, at best; however, Zellwegger’s performance is outstanding, and more than merits her award nominations.

I personally think it was a good idea not to have her singing dubbed by a more skilled vocalist, as she brought an immediacy to those scenes that would have been lost otherwise. The worst imaginable choice would have been to use Garland’s recordings. It would have put the film on a fast track toward being a kitsch-fest, which Zellwegger’s performance skillfully avoided.

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2020 5:11 PM

[quote] Serious question: Not into Garland but I want to see this film. Which movie or clips should I watch to get a feel so I can compare Zellweger's performance? Is there something that personifies Garland enough for me to get somewhat of an idea of how she truly was as a reference?

This is also a serious question: If you've never seen enough of Garland to compare Zellweger's performance, how do you know you're not into Garland?

by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2020 5:27 PM

Me and My Shadows is perfection. The problem is that Davis adopted that approach to pretty much every movie she's done since then.

I think Rue McClanahan could have done a great Judy Garland. Both have similar physical builds. And I could totally picture Rue nailing Judy's less the nicer moments.

by Anonymousreply 55January 12, 2020 5:32 PM

It's a RENEESANCE!!

by Anonymousreply 56January 12, 2020 5:51 PM

Bump. Finally getting around to watching this. She does capture fragile Judy, gets the look and the speaking voice right most of the time; very well at times. The singing really bothers me, though. Yes, I'm well aware of how Judy sounded at the end, but this sounds like Rene Zellweger in a high school production. At least TRY for the wobbly vibrato. I totally hate the "young Judy" flashbacks with the nasty pill-pushing minder - I get it, it's a primer for the kids today who have no idea who Judy is. I'm sure millennials will swoon at the victim narrative.

That said, I'm enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2021 10:34 PM

Oh, meant to add I, too, am a huge fan of the Judy Davis portrayal. The part here that starts at 13:30 gives me chills every single time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2021 10:38 PM

Renee was far large too large and healthy looking for the role and her habitual squinting did her performance no favors. Agreed that Judy Davis was far better - but Renee does have an appealing vulnerability. Only it's not Judy's vulnerability. The decision to let Renee sing might have been bold but it wasn't wise. The movie is total crap.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2021 10:44 PM

Anybody know if Pink can act? She certainly could have pulled off the vocals.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2021 11:29 PM

I'm at the "Over the Rainbow" performance at the end. All I can say is.....OH NO!

Ok I enjoyed it but disliked it, does that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2021 11:35 PM

She's fine, a bit overrated (as Judy).

Tammy Blanchard never got enough credit for pulling off young Judy. She caught something that no one else has. And Tammy is tall, so it was no mean feat.

by Anonymousreply 62January 26, 2021 1:02 AM

Davis was better than Zelwegger but I still greatly enjoyed the latters performance.

by Anonymousreply 63January 26, 2021 1:36 AM

Just watched on Netflix. Not once did I see Judy Garland. All i saw was squinty eyed puffy cheeked Zellwegger in a black wig thrashing round a set pretending to be Judy Garland. Not enough pills, not enough neurosis. Zellweger is not a character actress or a method actor. Nor does she know pain. Davis was brilliant as Garland because i think she has neurosis/bipolar. Davis said it took a long time to let go of Garland after shooting, and I'd believe it. She WAS Judy.

by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2021 7:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!