Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elder gays please tell me all about Hollywood golden era blonde sex symbol Carroll Baker

How big a star was she?Is she consider ice?Does she gave a cult following? What is the dish and scandal on her ?Please dish up and serve up the gossip!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 19, 2020 8:36 PM

Iconic not ice!!🙈 ^^

by Anonymousreply 1January 5, 2020 9:03 PM

She is in the Tennessee Williams penned “Babydoll” which is a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 2January 5, 2020 9:07 PM

Thanks r2 Did that film receive critical acclaim at the time or was it panned only to be appreciated in retrospect?

by Anonymousreply 3January 5, 2020 9:09 PM

Critical acclaim mostly, r3. Or at least very positive reviews.

Carroll and Mildred Dunnock were both nominated for an Oscar. So was Tennessee Williams, and cinematographer Boris Kaufman.

by Anonymousreply 4January 5, 2020 9:39 PM

Thank you r4 So has Carroll retired from the limelight these days as I believe she is still alive? Was Babydoll her best work?

by Anonymousreply 5January 5, 2020 9:43 PM

She was no Mamie Van Doren.

by Anonymousreply 6January 5, 2020 9:57 PM

She was a classically trained actress, and a very good one. But one of her husbands put her on the Italian sex bomb tract and her career didn’t recover.

by Anonymousreply 7January 5, 2020 10:09 PM

R7 Italian sex bomb tract??

by Anonymousreply 8January 5, 2020 10:19 PM

A more recent picture of Carroll.

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2020 1:22 AM

Hopefully posts this time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2020 1:25 AM

Still pretty.

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2020 1:32 AM

harrowing film but a great performance. I thrilled to see old school lower east side scenes in it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2020 1:39 AM

I think she’s particularly beautiful in The Big Country (1958).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2020 1:47 AM

Had a prominent role in 1956’s “Giant” opposite Rock Hudson, Liz Taylor and James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2020 1:55 AM

Cheers r12 r13 r14

What would you say was her best film and did she have a colourful private life?Did the media show much interest in that side of her?

by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2020 2:13 AM

Love this photo of Carroll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2020 4:35 PM

OP, I don't think the "Golden Era" of Hollywood was the '50s and '60s.

by Anonymousreply 17January 6, 2020 5:23 PM

Her former husband Jack Garfein just died. Btw, he also directed the homoerotic movie The Strange One

by Anonymousreply 18January 7, 2020 7:45 PM

Thanks for that r18

by Anonymousreply 19January 7, 2020 11:10 PM

I think she is an underrated actress who never really got to fulfill her potential. Though she had the Oscar nom for "Babydoll "(which she was great in), she never got much critical recognition after because she landed herself in a series of less-than-stellar films, primarily Italian productions after she was purportedly blackballed by Paramount. I think her best performance was in "Something Wild," hands down.

by Anonymousreply 20January 7, 2020 11:16 PM

r20 Thanks for your reply Why did Paramount blackball her?Was she outspoken in some way?

by Anonymousreply 21January 7, 2020 11:47 PM

Carroll was hired to play Patsy Cline’s mother in “Sweet Dreams,” and just before shooting began, they dumped her for Ann Wedgeworth.

Wedgeworth was wonderful in the part, but Carroll Baker would have looked more like she and Jessica Lange were related.

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2020 1:36 AM

R21 from my understanding, she had disagreements with Paramount producer Jack Levine. She claimed he treated her as though he were her pimp. She eventually sued him over her contract, which led to her being branded with a scarlet letter as far as Hollywood was concerned. That was in the early '60s, so she really was one of the last victims of the studio system. I read her autobiography a few years ago and she wrote about it extensively—I can't remember all of the details.

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2020 1:46 AM

Joe Levine, not Jack—I was mixed up, as she was married to Jack Garfein

by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2020 1:46 AM

She was in the first season of the original "Roswell" and sadly, she was really not good at all.

by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2020 1:48 AM

Pia Zadora is a better actress.

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2020 1:52 AM

Here is a great interview with Carroll at the Friars Club from a couple of months ago. She still seems very sharp, and that voice is unmistakable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2020 1:54 AM

Thank you very much r23 for your detailed reply.

So how big a star did Carroll Baker become and how big a star do you think she could have been if she hadnt of been blackmailed?

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2020 4:20 AM

Carroll's daughter, Blanche Baker, had a weird career. She made a huge splash in "Holocaust" and won an Emmy right out of the gate at 19. She had a few more films, a couple of stage things, and then basically her career stopped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2020 7:24 AM

I meant blackballed not blackmailed in r28 post

by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2020 4:54 PM

Baker being blackballed in Hollywood happened in the mid-60's (not early 60's) after she rebelled against her contract with producer Joseph E. Levine, who was not, as stated above, the head of Paramount. That studio helped finance and distributed THE CARPETBAGGERS and HARLOW, which Levine produced. Levine had his own "indie" studio called Embassy Pictures.

Baker felt Levine acted like he owned her, and while THE CARPETBAGGERS was a huge commercial hit, HARLOW was a major flop and she got the worst reviews of her career for it. So she decided to get out even though it was too late at that point for her to reverse the sex symbol image.

However, she had rebelled against Warner Brothers in the late 50's by refusing to do some rather trashy films, so the studio retaliated by refusing to loan her out to be considered for such projects as THE THREE FACES OF EVE, CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF, and THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV. Of those three, I thin she would have been a fine Maggie without Elizabeth Taylor's screechy voice. Doubt she would have bettered Joanne Woodward in EVE, though.

Her best post-Italy performance is in IRONWEED, as Jack Nicholson's wife. She's in it briefly in the latter part, but she's excellent.

by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2020 6:31 PM

I saw Blanch in a very small budget gay movie recently. She played the same part played Gilmore Girl in theHandmaid’s Tale movie. Her character just disappeared very early in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2020 6:33 PM

Thanks for the details r31

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2020 6:49 PM

[quote]Baker being blackballed in Hollywood happened in the mid-60's...

When she started fucking Negroes.

by Anonymousreply 34January 8, 2020 7:29 PM

Really?? r34

by Anonymousreply 35January 8, 2020 7:33 PM

R34, That was Jean Seberg, not Carroll Baker.

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2020 7:33 PM

Carroll's second husband and father of her two children, director Jack Garfein, just died on December 30th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2020 7:39 PM

No, it was definitely Baker. Fucked Jim Brown his last year with Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2020 8:02 PM

R38, Lucky bitch. Can you blame her?

by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2020 8:39 PM

Jesus Christ, yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2020 9:05 PM

R40, Check out his 1970s Playgirl spread.

by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2020 9:26 PM

I never stated Levine was the head of Paramount, R31.

by Anonymousreply 42January 8, 2020 9:33 PM

R38, I couldn't find anything on the net about this relationship. I'd be very surprised.

by Anonymousreply 43January 8, 2020 10:02 PM

R43, I seriously doubt any relationship with Jim Brown. He only dated very young girls, Carroll would have been in her thirties. Plus, she was happily married to Jack Garfein from 1955-1969.

by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2020 10:07 PM

Bless all of your little, retarded hearts. Bazinga!

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2020 3:48 AM

I remember reading her autobiography years ago. In the 1950s her career was interesting, she was smart and working with the best people (Elia Kazan, Tennessee Williams) and then it all went away and suddenly she was having Movie Star Problems and appearing in big, trashy/splashy films. She went from artist to commodity so quickly--it was sad.

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2020 4:23 AM

r46 What was her trashiest work?

by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2020 3:03 PM

Bad directed by Andy Warhol!

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2020 3:08 PM

Thanks r48

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2020 3:12 PM

I love Carroll and most of her movies......especially The Carpetbaggers....but always lots of fun. And the recent interviews she's been giving promoting the mystery book she's written are interesting - even though she tells the same stories in the same words over and over.... But then again - it is what it is.

BAD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2020 3:13 PM

No movie should have a scene with a baby being thrown out the window. The movie could have redeemed itself if it had a full frontal Perry King.

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2020 4:31 PM

[quote]No movie should have a scene with a baby being thrown out the window.

Thank God, you can use one as a battering ram on television.

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2020 12:41 AM

Too bad the movie was crap.....Carroll could have done a nice job if they had told the truth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2020 2:51 PM

R53 Harlow was pretty awful—they got the makeup wrong too, which was really distracting. There are press photos of Carroll that were taken before the production began, and in them she is made up to appropriately look like Jean Harlow—the makeup and everything was spot-on. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, when it came down to filming, they completely changed the look and she ended up hardly resembling Harlow at all. This is one of several photos taken where Carroll is properly done up as Jean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2020 4:11 AM

at least the old girl got to get old

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2020 4:25 AM

R55 Marilyn was actually friends with Carroll--they knew each other through the Actors Studio. Marilyn showed up at the premiere of Babydoll and volunteered as an usherette to help promote the film (Marilyn had been the original choice for the role, not Carroll).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2020 4:32 AM

R54, the weird thing about "Harlow" is, with the exception of Harlow, Mama Jean, and Paul Bern, who were all dead by then, all the other characters are fictitious, none of her famous films are mentioned, and the fantasy Majestic Studios stands in for MGM. Styling Baker like a '50s-'60s glamour girl rather than a '30s sex siren seems to be just another reminder that this half-assed biopic is only loosely based on Harlow.

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2020 4:55 AM

R64 yup those early test photos are just a hint at what might have been.

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2020 3:06 PM

R54 that is.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2020 3:06 PM

How could Carol Lynley’s Version be worse ?

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2020 3:35 PM

R60: That one couldn’t even afford film!

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2020 4:09 PM

It's on YouTube R60 - see if you can watch more than ten minutes or so...... As R61 said....shot on video tape.

Tom Lisanti wrote a fun book called Dueling Harlows about the making of the two films....although Baker refused to be interviewed.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2020 5:06 PM

Carol Lynley as Harlow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2020 5:08 PM

Thanks for all the information so far everybody!Please keep it coming!👍🙂 It is appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2020 9:14 AM

THE CARPETBAGGERS is actually good trashy fun. HARLOW is a bore and Baker is barely trying.

I've only seen a couple of her Italian films: PARANOIA (the U.S. title; the European title was ORGASMO) and BABA YAGA, and they're both awful. One odd note: The aforementioned PARANOIA (ORGASMO) was made in 1969 and the next year she made another film with the same schlock director called PARANOIA (in Europe) and A QUIET PLACE TO KILL (in the U.S.). Never seen it but you can imagine the two get mixed up.

I recall being surprised she showed up in a Disney film in the late 70's - THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS, with Bette Davis. Pretty lousy and she doesn't have much to do as the story centers around the characters of her two daughters. She's also good as Dorothy Stratton's mother in STAR 80.

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2020 9:23 PM

They gutted that Disney film and refused to restore it even after they proved it could be done, R65.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2020 9:25 PM

Carroll revealed in her autobiography that Franco Nero kept his socks on during sex.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2020 9:33 PM

r67 Oh I'm not a fan of that!Barefoot sex for me please!😁

by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2020 6:52 PM

Blanche Baker is best known as Molly Ringwald’s wedding-bound sister in Sixteen Candles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 16, 2020 7:33 PM

Carroll is really evil as the bad guy’s mother in Kindergarten Cop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 16, 2020 7:36 PM

"Sylvia" is my favorite! Campy and has hottie George Maharis in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 16, 2020 7:54 PM

Excellent in a small-ish role in Bob Fosse’s “Star 80”. And terrific in “Ironweed”. So fresh and pretty in her 1950s films, and a respected actress — both her looks and credibility took a hit during her 1960s manufactured sex symbol period.

by Anonymousreply 72January 16, 2020 7:55 PM

Carroll's promoting "The Carpetbaggers" on WML? at 16:10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 16, 2020 8:03 PM

She had a really intriguing voice besides her great beauty. Her combination of beauty, acting ability, and voice made her a very compelling actress.

by Anonymousreply 74January 16, 2020 8:07 PM

R71 that drag queen in SYLVIA is Paul Gilbert - the adoptive father of Melissa and Jonathan and step father to Sara......

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2020 3:12 PM

r74 Do you feel she is underated or underappreciated?

by Anonymousreply 76January 18, 2020 4:52 PM

R76 I think she is a bit of both.

Without a good director, she could be very wrong and rely on her Method tricks to get her through. But she was very good in a handful of films....and entertaining in most of them.

by Anonymousreply 77January 19, 2020 3:05 PM

Thank you for your reply r77 Would you say she was a better more talented actress than acting peers such as Arlene Dahl, Angie Dickinson, Shirley Maclaine, Joan Collins?

by Anonymousreply 78January 19, 2020 3:24 PM

Dahl and Collins were known for their beauty more than any acting prowess.

Baker is more talented than Dickinson. MacLaine had a much better career than Baker so it's hard to compare them since it's hard to say how Baker might have developed as an actress had she made different choices.

by Anonymousreply 79January 19, 2020 7:30 PM

All of that is true.

And MacLaine had that annoying "kook" quality that she used in most of her fifties and sixties roles....and even later on. You knew what you were going to see when you saw a MacLaine movie....and you had usually seen it all before.

Baker never really played to type so the audiences never really got to see what she was like - she was more a character actress even in her earliest roles.

by Anonymousreply 80January 19, 2020 10:18 PM

Was she an FAS baby, before we knew about FAS.

Her features scream: “Strong possibility!”

by Anonymousreply 81January 19, 2020 10:36 PM

Blanche was super scary in "The Girl Next Door". She was remarkably wooden in it but that made her character even creepier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 20, 2020 3:56 AM

r82 Sounds like a film I should check out!

by Anonymousreply 83January 23, 2020 12:05 PM

Interesting take r80 So you feel that Shirley Maclaine is overrated and a bit of a one trick pony?I'm not disagreeing with you but I've not heard many people say it.

by Anonymousreply 84January 23, 2020 12:07 PM

Actually I do, but as you say, not many folks agree.....

by Anonymousreply 85January 23, 2020 2:46 PM

Gosh 90 next year. I bet she could tell some tails about old Hollywood!!

by Anonymousreply 86December 18, 2020 11:35 PM

MacLaine’s “kook” (forerunner of the manic pixie) was poignant in “Some Came Running” and less kooky than sweet but wounded in “The Apartment,” both among her best, most genuine work. By the time of “Sweet Charity” the character just seemed stupid and annoying. Her return in a different archetype in “Terms of Endearment” was a wonderful mid/late-career turn, balancing comedy (including some that verged on slapstick) with the Demeter-Persephone tragedy. But after that, she pretty much descended into dour camp (not fun—she plays Ouiss the way the least funny dowager in your community theatre would have played Miss Daidy). I don’t think she was as great in Pistcards as others do—I wish they’d just cut to the chase and had Debbie Teynolds play herself—and then Debbie might have gotten the late career Oscar she should have had for Mother, where she brought subtlety and nuance to what could have been a cartoon.

I always liked Baker, especially for her voice and attitude. Excellent in the guilty pleasure epic “How the West was Won” (imagine that as a title today!) and, as others have pointed, quite moving in “Itonweed,” my favorite “most depressing imaginable” film.

by Anonymousreply 87December 19, 2020 12:18 AM

she got to pretend fuck george peppard, which is something we all wanted to do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 19, 2020 12:30 AM

well she managed to keep her head on straight

by Anonymousreply 89December 19, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote]Her former husband Jack Garfein just died. Btw, he also directed the homoerotic movie The Strange One —Anonymous

which starred sexy ben gazzara and the smoking george peppard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 19, 2020 12:45 AM

R87: The pixie and the more brittle characters she played later on are basically the same character. You can't play naive easily in middle age, but she just found a different way of being a grown-up version of the ditsy character she played before. She plays the eccentric regardless. She's really not much of an actress and clearly a self-absorbed fuckedup human being.

by Anonymousreply 91December 19, 2020 12:55 AM

r91 What makes you say she is self absorbed and fucked up?

by Anonymousreply 92December 19, 2020 2:48 AM

Have you read anything about how her daughter was raised? Or followed her dim witted past lives nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 93December 19, 2020 4:11 AM

No I haven't r93

by Anonymousreply 94December 19, 2020 5:33 AM

Several of Carroll’s movies disturbed me like Something Wild. I saw it as a kid and the eye thing was awful. Never liked Babydoll, another weird thing. And I don’t care how much you like ASND who names their child Blanche.

by Anonymousreply 95December 19, 2020 8:28 PM

"Hollywood Golden Era" and "Carroll Baker"?

Oh, my sides.

by Anonymousreply 96December 19, 2020 8:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!