Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Get your face masks ready.

Killer flu virus has broken out in China & Hong Kong again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601January 27, 2020 3:25 AM

Sum Ting Wong!

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2020 8:04 AM

Update from NYT:

Airports in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles will begin screening passengers arriving from Wuhan, China, for infection with a mysterious respiratory virus that has killed two people and sickened at least 45 overseas, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced on Friday.

The disease is caused by a coronavirus, a member of a family of viruses that can cause respiratory ailments ranging from colds to pneumonia.

A different coronavirus caused the SARS outbreak in 2003, which originated in China and was spread to other countries by travelers, infecting more than 8,000 people and killing nearly 800.

A coronavirus is also the cause of MERS, another severe respiratory ailment that has been present in Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries since 2012.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2020 6:08 PM

It’s always the fucking Chinese

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2020 6:14 PM

It's in Japan and Thailand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2020 6:21 PM

Thailand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2020 6:21 PM

Animal abuse and exploitation is catching up with us.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2020 6:22 PM

Why can't they just stop traveling from Wuhan? And why can't they just stop eating weird shit animals? First bird flu, then SARS, now novel coronavirus (seafood virus) - all jumped from animals to humans in China. Probably it's population control at work. Even India, which is more shitholish and filthy, hasn't seen many infections started in its country like China. I can only hope the African swine fever doesn't cross over from pigs to the Chinese people soon. That would be the end of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2020 7:15 PM

No it's not the Chinese it's all the barebacking gays that start all the diseases. We've already had a thread on that.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2020 8:20 PM

There’s too many people in Asia. Diseases spread like wildfire. This is nature’s way of cutting back the population. It’s a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2020 8:23 PM

They need to build a wall!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2020 8:33 PM

Captain Trips!

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2020 8:34 PM

It's their karma for widespread animal abuse.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2020 1:43 AM

Contagion!

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2020 7:22 AM

Biological warfare. For population control in the PRC and repression in HK.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2020 7:27 AM

These people are some of the biggest slobs on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2020 7:34 AM

Yes to the wall!

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2020 7:55 AM

I think it's time for Trump to take another trip to Asia!

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2020 8:22 AM

Ancient Chinese secret huh?

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2020 9:10 AM

They want to kill the HK protesters with this!

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2020 3:35 PM

Great, there goes the face unlock feature on my new Google Pixel 4 XL.

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2020 3:53 PM

No one should shake hands with Gwyneth Paltrow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2020 10:02 PM

You know it has to be bad when the official media are quoting President Xi himself saying this is serious.

Oh, and they’ve confirmed that human to human transmission is happening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2020 3:35 PM

yes, this shit is scary!

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2020 5:55 PM

I came very close to death from Hong Kong flu back in the late 60s. If this is anything like that or worse people need to be worried.

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2020 6:37 PM

The World Health Organization announced Monday that it would convene an expert panel to determine whether a fast-developing outbreak caused by a new virus in China should be declared a global health emergency.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2020 8:42 PM

The World Health Organization doesn't have any updated news release of real concern. The last I see is one acknowledging that Thailand has a novel coronavirus.

So if WHO isn't that concerned, we are probably ok.

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2020 12:26 PM

WaPo: Chinese health authorities sought to impose a quasi-quarantine Tuesday around Wuhan, a city of 11 million people, as they stepped up efforts to stop the spread of a mystery virus that has now claimed six lives.

The World Health Organization will hold an emergency meeting today to decide whether to designate the outbreak as an international public health emergency. Australia and the Philippines are the latest countries with suspected cases of infection.

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2020 12:39 PM

[quote]yes, this shit is scary!

[quote] If this is anything like that or worse people need to be worried.

The knee jerk go-to American response to everything ☞ FEAR

by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2020 1:21 PM

China is going to get everyone on the planet killed.

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2020 2:14 PM

China is using germ warfare to quell dissent.

by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2020 2:17 PM

Remember the 🐓 "bird-flu" hysteria. What happened to that?

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2020 2:19 PM

6 people have died so far...that we know of.

It's the Chinese...so that means 60 people may have died.

And my co-workers tell me it's Chinese New Year this weekend, lots of people will be traveling...more will be infected.

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2020 2:21 PM

R32 you know Chinese New Year lasts 15 days, not a weekend, right?

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2020 4:43 PM

First US case in WA state.

by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2020 5:31 PM

ELE!! We need one.

by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2020 5:39 PM

[quote]Get your face masks ready

OK gurl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2020 5:42 PM

R21: Quick, steam that woman's vagina immediately!

by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2020 5:48 PM

A mask that just covers the mouth and nose is useless. It won't protect you from having viral drops spew into your eyes.

A face shield is needed for better protection.

I hope that "Frozen" Austrian village swarmed by thousands of Chinese daily start misting bleach over the tourists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2020 5:48 PM

Can you get it from items purchased on eBay from China?

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2020 5:52 PM

It is now in the US. It has been conformed that someone in Washington state has been diagnosed with it.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2020 5:53 PM

WaPo: A man in Washington state has been diagnosed with the mysterious virus, the first case confirmed in the United States since the illnesses first appeared in China last month and which has killed at least six people and sickened hundreds more in Asia, according to people familiar with the investigation.

The man is in stable condition. He arrived in the United States last week, before federal health officials began screening travelers from the central Chinese city of Wuhan at Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York’s John F. Kennedy international airports.

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2020 5:56 PM

It's here in the USA! FUCK THE CHINESE!!!

t's unclear as of yet if the first US patient had traveled to China and, if so, whether they arrived at any of the three airports prepared to screen for the coronavirus.

Adding to the difficulty of screening for the virus, its primary symptoms - cough, fever, runny nose - are similar to those of the flu, which is at near-peak levels in the US.

China’s National Health Commission yesterday confirmed that the never-before-seen SARS-like coronavirus had spread between humans.

And now the body has revealed the unnamed infection is spread from the lungs and may travel in saliva – such as through coughs.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2020 6:12 PM

A total of 325 people have caught the virus across Asia, including 20 healthcare workers

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2020 6:13 PM

Yes, it's all about money. Countries were cajoled into buying vaccines that they would never use, and those vaccines would become useless after a year or two. There will never be another pandemic like the 1918 influenza pandemic again. Many things have changed: people's lifestyles have changed, more awareness to prevention and protection. The WHO should stop scaring people into buying vaccines and drugs that they don't need.

Flu Inc. is fed by the worry of the unknown, the fears of government that the next pandemic lies just around the corner, or tucked away in some far off area of the world. In the case of H1N1, the threat of illness for 40 per cent of the country was real enough that they went for the shot, sometimes lining up for hours to get it. And that has spawned a new business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2020 6:13 PM

Damn that face shield mask is expensive! I was gonna get one!

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2020 6:19 PM

Why can't they tell us more about this patient? The public health is at risk! Was this person coughing and spitting all over the city? did this person travel on a bus, plane, subway etc? I bet more people will be infected.

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2020 6:20 PM

Oh, oh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2020 6:25 PM

“What we know is it causes pneumonia and then doesn’t respond to antibiotic treatment, which is not surprising, but then in terms of mortality, SARS kills 10 percent of the individuals,” said Leo Poon, a virologist at the School of Public Health at the University of Hong Kong, CNN reported.

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that cause illnesses running the gamut from the common cold to severe diseases including SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, and Middle East respiratory syndrome, or MERS, according to the World Health Organization.

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2020 6:27 PM

The infected develop upper respiratory symptoms including a runny nose, cough, sore throat and sometimes a fever that can last a few days.

But for those with weakened immune systems, the elderly and the very young, the virus may trigger more serious illnesses like pneumonia and bronchitis.

On Dec. 31, WHO officials in China were informed of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause that were detected in the central city of Wuhan, where a “novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)” was identified on Jan. 7, the agency said.

“Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties,” according to WHO. “In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.”

On Monday, officials confirmed that the new coronavirus can be transmitted between humans — which often happens when someone comes into contact with the infected person’s secretions.

The virus also can also be transmitted by touching something an infected person has touched and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2020 6:29 PM

My workplace is co-hosting a conference in Shanghai this summer. I won't be going, but my coworkers better not bring this shit back to me!

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2020 6:29 PM

10% mortality??

BOOOOORRRIIINNNGGG.

Wake me up when it’s like 85%. We need a good culling.

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2020 6:39 PM

Talk about lucky! I just happened to buy this the other day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2020 6:51 PM

[quote] 10% mortality??

Believe it or not but losing just 10% of the human population would be a huge deal and trigger a global economic collapse if not the end of civilization in many countries.

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2020 6:51 PM

10%...

by Anonymousreply 54January 21, 2020 6:57 PM

We had a good run. Hope the almiqui can do better.

by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2020 7:18 PM

Population culling sounds great until you are one of the unlucky ones.

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2020 7:39 PM

CDC will screen passengers flying from Wuhan to Chicago's O'Hare and Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson airports in addition to the already announced JFK (NY), Los Angeles Int'l and San Francisco Int'l airports.

by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2020 7:52 PM

Shit I have to go to San Francisco Thursday!

by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2020 8:31 PM

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some goggles and a maaaask...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2020 8:43 PM

An American man in his 30s outside Seattle, Washington who visited Wuhan, China, has been diagnosed with the coronvirus from China

The patient is a resident of Snahomish County and is currently at Providence Regional Medical Center - Everett

His condition is described as 'good' but he is being closely monitored

by Anonymousreply 60January 21, 2020 9:02 PM

Wash your hands and eat your vegetables, guys.

by Anonymousreply 61January 21, 2020 9:04 PM

[quote] 10%...

Amateurs

by Anonymousreply 62January 21, 2020 9:15 PM

I don't understand just screening passengers from Wuhan. I mean I know the Chinese supposedly have a lockdown on the city, but with the celebratiin of the New Year isn't it possible a few stragglers made it out to other parts of China? Wouldn't it be wiser to screen passengers on ALL incoming flights from China? I'm not one for travel bans usually but given the fact that 1) it's fatal in 10% of cases, , 2) it doesn't respond to antibiotics, and 3) there won't be a vaccine for months I'd rather err on the side of caution.

by Anonymousreply 63January 21, 2020 10:02 PM

r63 you know the cheap ass Republican government aint going to pay for personnel to screen every person flying in from China!

by Anonymousreply 64January 21, 2020 10:06 PM

WHAT A STUPID CUNT!

Chinese doctor infected with coronavirus while researching deadly outbreak

A Chinese doctor who was researching the outbreak of the deadly new virus sweeping Asia says he is now infected by the mysterious bug.

Wang Guangfa, head of the Department of Pulmonary Medicine at Beijing’s Peking University First Hospital, revealed Tuesday that he had contracted the Chinese coronavirus, which can be transmitted between humans.

“I was diagnosed and my condition is fine,” Wang told Hong Kong’s Cable TV.

Guangfa was among the experts who visited the central Chinese city of Wuhan, where the flu-like illness is believed to have emerged.

The doctor said he was receiving treatment, but didn’t elaborate on how he was infected.

“I don’t want everyone to put too much attention on my condition,” he told the channel.

The death toll from the SARS-like illness rose to six Tuesday with more than 300 reported cases in the country. Fifteen medical personnel have also been diagnosed with the virus.

Four cases have been reported in Thailand, Japan and South Korea, heightening fears about its spread through international travel.

by Anonymousreply 65January 21, 2020 10:20 PM

Well it's already out. Pretty unlikely they'll prevent a major outbreak now. It does not respond to antibiotics. Scary, but most will survive it.

by Anonymousreply 66January 21, 2020 11:57 PM

Im no doctor, but aren't most deaths from pneumonia these days caused by people waiting too long to go to the hospital to get treatment? Most of the people I've known who died from pneumonia didn't know they had it until it had progressed to a point where they couldn't get it under control.

I hope people can recognize the symptoms of this before they go spreading it to tons of people who will incubate the virus and spread to even more people.

by Anonymousreply 67January 22, 2020 12:11 AM

R51 The 1918 flu epidemic had a mortality rate of about 3 or 4% and it killed more people than all the wars of the 20th century combined.

Latest death toll is 9 (all in China).

by Anonymousreply 68January 22, 2020 2:55 AM

Latest report.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 22, 2020 2:59 AM

The latest report...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 22, 2020 3:00 AM

Well, since most DLers are shut-ins, this site won't be seeing less traffic.

by Anonymousreply 71January 22, 2020 3:45 AM

It's begun.

by Anonymousreply 72January 22, 2020 12:59 PM

[quote]China is going to get everyone on the planet killed.

Bout fucking time.

by Anonymousreply 73January 22, 2020 1:13 PM

But can the Novo virus survive basement conditions?

by Anonymousreply 74January 22, 2020 1:58 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 22, 2020 2:39 PM

I was shocked to learn yesterday from one of my colleagues at work that his mother, who was a hospital nurse, was one of the 44 people died during the SARS outbreak in Toronto. I'd had no idea. We were talking about this latest outbreak and he confided to us that it was bringing back painful memories and that's when he told us about his mom.

by Anonymousreply 76January 22, 2020 3:08 PM

We have to remember when we speak about percentages, it not just the % that die after getting sick from the virus, it's also the transmissibility. What I'm saying is in a room of a hundred people and one who actually has it, how many, or what percentage will actually catch it? That is also a key factor as well.

by Anonymousreply 77January 22, 2020 3:22 PM

The 23-year-old Wuhan man, known by his surname Huang, initially went to the hospital because of headache, dizziness and lack of strength. He was the first critical patient to recover.

by Anonymousreply 78January 22, 2020 3:37 PM

Killer coronavirus 'could ALREADY be in Britain': Heathrow passengers to be isolated as death toll soars to 17 and experts reveal up to TEN THOUSAND patients in Chinese city of Wuhan alone may be infected

by Anonymousreply 79January 22, 2020 3:37 PM

[quote]We have to remember when we speak about percentages, it not just the % that die after getting sick from the virus, it's also the transmissibility.

Associated Press: One veteran of the SARS outbreak said that while there are some similarities in the new virus — namely its origins in China and the link to animals — the current outbreak appears much milder.

Dr. David Heymann, who headed WHO’s global response to SARS in 2003, said the new virus appears dangerous for older people with other health conditions, but doesn’t seem nearly as infectious as SARS.

“It looks like it doesn’t transmit through the air very easily and probably transmits through close contact,” he said. “That was not the case with SARS.”

by Anonymousreply 80January 22, 2020 3:40 PM

I had created a post about midnight that apparently didn't take, or was removed, regarding a preeminent British virologist who was quoted on Monday, stating that more like 5-7K people infected was probably the truth. Now, the estimate is at10K or more. It is quite concerning how these figures are going up by the thousands each day.

What is the reason travellers from China cannot be allowed into western countries? They have already identified cases which are not connected to the seafood market, or Wuhan. They ought to play safe and effectively contain this.

by Anonymousreply 81January 22, 2020 5:49 PM

^ should have written why can't they not be allowed to travel.

by Anonymousreply 82January 22, 2020 5:51 PM

Assorted bits from the Twitterverse:

Wuhan authorities just quarantined the entire city. No one permitted to leave without a "special reason".

Wuhan is suspending all public transportation, buses, trains, airplanes and ferries to better combat the coronavirus epidemic.

On January 22, many hospitals in Wuhan faced an extremely high load: fever patients lined up to see the results of pneumonia testing. Hospital corridors are crowded with waiting citizens.

by Anonymousreply 83January 22, 2020 6:00 PM

City on fire! City on fire!

by Anonymousreply 84January 22, 2020 8:25 PM

Wuhan is QUARANTINED: Ground zero for deadly coronavirus halts all travel in AND out of the city after the CDC begins screening at five US airports as the disease MUTATES after killing 17 and infecting up to 10,000

by Anonymousreply 85January 22, 2020 9:26 PM

MARY! at R85

by Anonymousreply 86January 22, 2020 9:27 PM

Datalounger with pneumonia here. I flew into Sydney yesterday after spending. ten days in a regional hospital in Hokkaido in Japan. I really thought I could have died over there. Embassy was useless. Ditto travel insurance people. On my own speaking minimal Japanese in a hospital where Nobody spoke English. Thank god for google translate. The only westerners they see there have broken their leg on the ski fields nearby.

Last week I saw the first stories on corona virus. By then my very assertive sister had flown up from Australia to help me. My focus was on getting medical approval for flying home. Got that Monday night. Flew out Tuesday night. Home to Sydney Wed morning. Seeing my GP/MD tomorrow and until then in self quarantine at home. Luckily have face masks from the bushfire smoke over Xmas.

All I want to know is that it’s not Corona virus and if it’s just pneumonia how to fix it. It’s been a pretty horrible summer but there are many people worse off.

by Anonymousreply 87January 22, 2020 10:04 PM

R87, so sorry to hear about your ordeal...Hang tough!

Wishing you the best of health and speedy recovery from NYC!

I recommend lots of chicken soup.

by Anonymousreply 88January 22, 2020 10:09 PM

I’m american, had my flu shot & was sick as a dog through November with a respiratory condition. I couldn’t get out of bed, was afraid I was going to die & it took forever to recover from it and NOBODY CARED.

But 2 people out of a billion in China die and the US is losing its mind.

by Anonymousreply 89January 22, 2020 10:14 PM

When I say nobody cared, I’m talking about 3 doctors.

by Anonymousreply 90January 22, 2020 10:18 PM

I caught SARS in 2003 while in university. It was brutal, pretty much influenza but amplified an order of magnitude. I was living in a tiny student bachelor suite and at its worst I couldn't even cross the room without resting half way, and at the time I was an otherwise very healthy, fit 23 year old.

by Anonymousreply 91January 22, 2020 10:21 PM

Wheeee!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 22, 2020 10:24 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 22, 2020 10:26 PM

I had the worst case of the flu in my life from dec 25 through new years. Horrible body aches, fever and cough. I was physically exhausted for a week after I finally got over it. I never get the flu shot and usually I never get sick but this year really did me in. I live in Los Angeles so I fear I may have this to look forward to now...

by Anonymousreply 94January 22, 2020 10:27 PM

R87 here, R88 - thanks mate, that’s very kind.

by Anonymousreply 95January 22, 2020 10:28 PM

R89 they're people just as much as you are, jackass

by Anonymousreply 96January 23, 2020 12:43 AM

We survived the Spanish Flu.

by Anonymousreply 97January 23, 2020 3:08 AM

It's survivable. Only 1/10 die and that's probably because they didn't get much medical attention.

Monitor that fluid buildup in the lungs. Get your fluids, sugars and salts, sleep and ride it out.

by Anonymousreply 98January 23, 2020 3:19 AM

Sleep in the warm sunlight. The UV sunrays will kill the virus.

Seriously, I'm scared and release tension by saying random things in false hope attempt grab hoping someone will set by straight in correction and reassurance.

by Anonymousreply 99January 23, 2020 3:24 AM

Jeez, my friend and I were travelling through Myanmar, Thailand, Osaka and Hong Kong and just got back last Monday. Glad we missed all this.

But I think we're eventually going to have a big pandemic, it's nature's way of culling the herd.

by Anonymousreply 100January 23, 2020 3:32 AM

[quote] One veteran of the SARS outbreak said that while there are some similarities in the new virus — namely its origins in China and the link to animals — the current outbreak appears much milder

Apparently not to Chinese officials. They literally just quarantined a city twice the size of NY. Of course, this is not physically possible. The borders will be extremely leaky.

But what are we not being told?

by Anonymousreply 101January 23, 2020 3:37 AM

[quote]Sleep in the warm sunlight. The UV sunrays will kill the virus.

NOT possible.

by Anonymousreply 102January 23, 2020 3:55 AM

As I've posted on another thread, I take the 7 Train into Manhattan from Sunnyside. All the Chinese who got on in Flushing are wearing facemasks. What do they know that we don´t know? Sum Ting The Fuck's Wong.

by Anonymousreply 103January 23, 2020 4:22 AM

Get the lunch special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 23, 2020 4:28 AM

NBC: Millions of Chinese had to cancel travel plans and hunker down in their homes to avoid exposure to a new, mysterious coronavirus Thursday as three cities in central China went on lockdown to curb the spread of the deadly virus that has already claimed 17 lives.

Authorities in Hong Kong stopped selling tickets for trains between the semi-autonomous territory and Wuhan Thursday, as two cases of the new coronavirus were confirmed there.

Also on Thursday, Chinese authorities have enacted similar travel restrictions in two more cities neighboring Wuhan — Huanggang and Ezhou.

by Anonymousreply 105January 23, 2020 12:24 PM

'It feels like the end of the world': THIRD Chinese city is put in lockdown as experts warn deadly coronavirus outbreak is MUTATING - as Singapore becomes the eighth country to confirm case

by Anonymousreply 106January 23, 2020 12:32 PM

Good luck shutting down cities. People are already fleeing en masse and easily escaping. Any attempt to contain them with police or military will make the situation much much worse.

The fact is, we don’t know how, nor have the ability to contain something on such an enormous scale, so good luck to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 107January 23, 2020 12:33 PM

Australia appears to be preparing for a big outbreak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 23, 2020 12:37 PM

20 million people on lockdown now ... at least the Chinese are trying to do something about it this time as opposed to trying to cover it up, as they did with SARS.

by Anonymousreply 109January 23, 2020 12:37 PM

The virus, which can cause pneumonia, is poorly understood. Scientists now fear it may have spread to humans from snakes or bats.

Police, SWAT teams and paramilitary troops can be seen guarding the city's train station, where metal barriers are blocking the entrances.

One Twitter user, the BBC reported, said the threat of food shortages and disinfectant in the street made it feel like 'the end of the world'.

by Anonymousreply 110January 23, 2020 12:38 PM

This is r100. I just remembered on our flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong, that they sprayed disinfectant in the air while walking down the aisles at the end of the flight- I had never seen that done before.

by Anonymousreply 111January 23, 2020 1:32 PM

Lol. Spraying disinfectant in a plane will do absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 112January 23, 2020 1:37 PM

I'm surprised the ACLU and Human Rights Watch aren't whining about the quarantine in Wuhan etc.

I guess they will if it's Xinjiang.

by Anonymousreply 113January 23, 2020 1:39 PM

I'm in Toronto and seeing a noticeable number of people - mostly Asian FWIW - going about their daily lives with face masks on. Which are, I gather, useless in fighting disease.

Personally, I wish the Chinese would stop eating so much weird shit that creates weird and deadly diseases.

by Anonymousreply 114January 23, 2020 1:55 PM

[quote]Lol. Spraying disinfectant in a plane will do absolutely nothing.

It will make them feel like they've got this thing under control, so it does that, if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 115January 23, 2020 1:59 PM

[quote]I'm in Toronto and seeing a noticeable number of people - mostly Asian FWIW - going about their daily lives with face masks on. Which are, I gather, useless in fighting disease.

I think they LOVE wearing them.😷

by Anonymousreply 116January 23, 2020 2:00 PM

China has a super-advanced social credit system with mass facial recognition, but they can't crack down on filthy markets and wildlife consumption?

by Anonymousreply 117January 23, 2020 2:00 PM

It's interesting, in the book of World War Z (2003), the zombie virus starts in China, by the Yangtze river. North Korea remains relatively untouched, as they totally close their borders.

And Chinese and Japanese have been wearing face masks since the first SARS outbreak, so much so that is became a fashion accessory.

by Anonymousreply 118January 23, 2020 2:01 PM

They have to be seen by the public to be doing something to prevent/combat this. otherwise, can you imagine the public outcry..."you did NOTHING"...when the flu infects the whole city?

by Anonymousreply 119January 23, 2020 2:03 PM

Face masks have been used in East Asia for decades. And they usually do limit the spreading of disease (e.g., sneezing's potential to widely disseminate viruses is greatly reduced).

by Anonymousreply 120January 23, 2020 2:05 PM

yes, I remember going to Singapore on a business trip and it was illegal to spit in public.

I hope DLers all over the world will be safe from this virus! Take care folks! wash your hands!

by Anonymousreply 121January 23, 2020 2:24 PM

Dr David Carrington, of St George's, University of London, told BBC News "routine surgical masks for the public are not an effective protection against viruses or bacteria carried in the air", which was how "most viruses" were transmitted, because they were too loose, had no air filter and left the eyes exposed.

But they could help lower the risk of contracting a virus through the "splash" from a sneeze or a cough and provide some protection against hand-to-mouth transmissions.

by Anonymousreply 122January 23, 2020 2:26 PM

FOUR people are being treated for suspected coronavirus in Britain after flying in from China.

The patients are suffering flu-like symptoms and respiratory difficulties after arriving via London from Wuhan, the Chinese city where the deadly outbreak started.

Professor Jurgen Haas, head of infection medicine at the University of Edinburgh, believes there will be many more cases from other cities in the UK.

He said three cases are in Edinburgh and the other is thought to be in Glasgow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 23, 2020 2:34 PM

Yikes, R123!

by Anonymousreply 124January 23, 2020 2:42 PM

Deadly coronavirus is MUCH more contagious than feared: Medics confirm the disease that has killed 17 can be spread by COUGHING - as Singapore, Vietnam and Saudi Arabia become latest countries to confirm cases

by Anonymousreply 125January 23, 2020 3:15 PM

Today it emerged the infected US patient came into close contact with at least 16 people before quarantined

by Anonymousreply 126January 23, 2020 3:15 PM

Finally something to cull the population. I hope it really blows up.

by Anonymousreply 127January 23, 2020 3:19 PM

[quote]FOUR people are being treated for suspected coronavirus in Britain after flying in from China.

I knew we'd GET IT, sooner than later - we always do.

by Anonymousreply 128January 23, 2020 3:36 PM

All the "measures" being taken seem pretty pathetic and half-assed.

Flights from China. Gurl, puhlease!

by Anonymousreply 129January 23, 2020 3:38 PM

Wuhan might have more than 10k cases.

by Anonymousreply 130January 23, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote] North Korea remains relatively untouched, as they totally close their borders.

No, it’s reported that NK remains relatively untouched at the beginning because their leader commands that the entire population’s teeth be pulled, as the virus is transmitted through bites. The entire country then disappears, nobody knows where they went. It’s assumed underground.

by Anonymousreply 131January 23, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote] Deadly coronavirus is MUCH more contagious than feared: Medics confirm the disease that has killed 17 can be spread by COUGHING - as Singapore, Vietnam and Saudi Arabia become latest countries to confirm cases

Has that been confirmed by actual authorities like the WHO or CDC or is it just doctors on the ground? You need a link for that particular kind of hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 132January 23, 2020 3:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133January 23, 2020 3:42 PM

They lockdown the city because the plague has been out of control in Wuhan .

by Anonymousreply 134January 23, 2020 3:42 PM

Achoo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 23, 2020 3:42 PM

Face masks also do absolutely nothing. You need a face screen and a mask and a suit. And you STILL may get infected.

by Anonymousreply 136January 23, 2020 3:43 PM

See, this is why they'll win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 23, 2020 3:45 PM

Face masks do often work for things like the cold virus. Western nihilists say otherwise, but they do work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138January 23, 2020 3:45 PM

Face masks do offer some protection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 23, 2020 3:46 PM

They handed them out at my work.

They help surgeons.

by Anonymousreply 140January 23, 2020 3:47 PM

They do offer some protection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 23, 2020 3:48 PM

[quote]Has that been confirmed by actual authorities like the WHO or CDC or is it just doctors on the ground?

Yesterday, the World Health Organization stepped back from declaring the growing viral pneumonia outbreak in China to be a public health emergency of international concern, saying its expert committee would meet again today to discuss more evidence from its teams on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 142January 23, 2020 3:50 PM

"Masks don't work."

We're fatalistic because our societies are dying. We dismiss any small advantage as "pointless" vs. others who know that each small advance is valuable and overall success is an incremental achievement.

by Anonymousreply 143January 23, 2020 3:51 PM

In Singapore, a 66-year-old man who had flown from Wuhan with his family on Monday is recovering in hospital. A 37-year-old companion is also in hospital under observation but has not been diagnosed.

In Vietnam, a Chinese father a son are in hospital in Ho Chi Minh City after flying there from Wuhan and becoming ill. They are in 'good condition', according to Vietnamese authorities.

And India's Minister of State for External Affairs, Vellamvelly Muraleedharan, confirmed on Twitter that an Indian nurse working in Saudi Arabia has been diagnosed with the infection and is 'recovering well' in hospital.

by Anonymousreply 144January 23, 2020 3:51 PM

The World Health Organization is facing increasing pressure to declare the crisis a public health emergency, like it has done for Ebola and Zika in the past. Health chiefs will meet again later today to make a final verdict.

by Anonymousreply 145January 23, 2020 3:52 PM

What's the best most stylish N95 mask out there?

by Anonymousreply 146January 23, 2020 3:53 PM

CNBC:

The State Department on Thursday advised people planning to visit China to exercise increased caution due to a pneumonia outbreak caused by the coronavirus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday set the alert level at 2, which urged caution if in the affected area, but escalated that warning as the disease continued to spread, recommending that passengers reconsider traveling to China.

by Anonymousreply 147January 23, 2020 3:54 PM

This could be it, everyone. Pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 148January 23, 2020 3:55 PM

BBC Scotland correspondent James Shaw:

3 people who've recently travelled from Wuhan to Scotland are being treated as suspected cases of Coronavirus.

The head of infection medicine at the University of Edinburgh, Professor Jurgen Haas, said all 3 had respiratory symptoms and had been in Wuhan in the last 14 days.

by Anonymousreply 149January 23, 2020 3:58 PM

We're all going to die! Ahhhh!!!

by Anonymousreply 150January 23, 2020 3:59 PM

FUCK Wuhan!

by Anonymousreply 151January 23, 2020 4:00 PM

N95 Face masks seem to be mostly sold out on Amazon here in the states, btw.

by Anonymousreply 152January 23, 2020 4:02 PM

It’s times like this that I’m glad I never leave my house.

by Anonymousreply 153January 23, 2020 4:03 PM

Oh goody, more shit coming from China.

You know, this is not going to last long. Nothing from China ever does.

by Anonymousreply 154January 23, 2020 4:14 PM

Damn, I tried to order the face shield posted in this thread and the fucking shipping is 29 bucks!

by Anonymousreply 155January 23, 2020 4:14 PM

I still have some N95 masks I bought after 911, never used.

by Anonymousreply 156January 23, 2020 4:16 PM

R155 Go to Home Depot etc. and look for welding masks. Same concept and cheaper

by Anonymousreply 157January 23, 2020 4:18 PM

Suggested reading.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158January 23, 2020 4:20 PM

r154, me love you long time!

by Anonymousreply 159January 23, 2020 4:27 PM

NYT: Coronavirus deaths so far are mostly older men with previous health issues.

by Anonymousreply 160January 23, 2020 5:02 PM

Look out, smoker and former smoker eldergays of DL. Look out.

by Anonymousreply 161January 23, 2020 5:16 PM

It is karma for not caring about their own people and caring only about their politics and money

by Anonymousreply 162January 23, 2020 5:18 PM

Who knew Wuhan was such an international destination?

by Anonymousreply 163January 23, 2020 5:28 PM

At least this could bring down China’s commie government and slow down its rise as an economic powerhouse.

by Anonymousreply 164January 23, 2020 5:35 PM

r163 I flew into Wuhan from Xian to begin a 4-day Yangtzee cruise.

by Anonymousreply 165January 23, 2020 6:04 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166January 23, 2020 6:08 PM

CNN: a WHO official says the Wuhan coronavirus spreads more easily from person to person than previously thought.

The virus initially appeared to spread only by very close contact that would typically occur within a family, such as hugging, kissing, or sharing eating utensils.

But evidence is accruing that shows more distant contact could spread the virus, such as if a sick person were to sneeze or cough near someone else’s face. There's no evidence at this point that the virus is airborne and could be spread across a room, as happens with the flu or measles.

by Anonymousreply 167January 23, 2020 7:00 PM

Not to worry people, I'm sure the Trump Administration has this under control.

After all, it was Trump that gave you pre-existing conditions. You should be more grateful!

by Anonymousreply 168January 23, 2020 7:04 PM

Fuckin' shit, now it's in Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 23, 2020 7:51 PM

I hope Mitch McConnell croaks from it via his Chinese piece of shit wife.

by Anonymousreply 170January 23, 2020 8:10 PM

For gods sake we get old men dying of flu all the time. We don’t shut cities down.

by Anonymousreply 171January 23, 2020 10:16 PM

I'm on daily PrEP. I'm protected. Bite me, Corona.

by Anonymousreply 172January 23, 2020 10:44 PM

Common whore, common cold. I'll take Corona. It's au Courant.

by Anonymousreply 173January 23, 2020 11:01 PM

China's coronavirus is the lethal cousin of the common cold: New virus from the same family as winter sniffles has killed 17 - but has yet to turn as deadly as SARS

by Anonymousreply 174January 23, 2020 11:13 PM

I bought my N95 masks today. got a box of 20. it was the last one. there were 2 chinese girls buying a whole cart worth of the masks.

I was picking up cleaning supplies and thought, why the fuck not? Just in case.

by Anonymousreply 175January 23, 2020 11:15 PM

Death toll is at 25 now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176January 24, 2020 12:40 AM

I am taking an abundance of caution!! I am no longer eating at Panda Express! I advised my domestic La'Traler Jenkins-Jones not purchase any Chung King products at the Piggly Wiggly!!!

by Anonymousreply 177January 24, 2020 1:21 AM

Coronavirus ground zero food market was selling KOALAS, snakes and wolf pups before deadly virus outbreak

They deserve to die. Zero sympathy. Oh did I mention that they have a dog eating festival where tens of thousands of dogs are consumed?

FUCK THEM CUNTS!

by Anonymousreply 178January 24, 2020 4:39 AM

I guess this means Trump's going to get reelected.

by Anonymousreply 179January 24, 2020 4:45 AM

[quote]China's coronavirus is the lethal cousin of the common cold!

I believe taking Vitamin C helps prevents me from getting as many colds. I sure as hell will be taking my supplements on the daily now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180January 24, 2020 5:13 AM

Mountain out of a molehill. Just like SARS...

by Anonymousreply 181January 24, 2020 5:16 AM

Whatever you do, do not breed any Asians this week until further notice.

by Anonymousreply 182January 24, 2020 5:38 AM

La Choy makes Chinky food, taste acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 183January 24, 2020 6:08 AM

R175, you can usually get N95 masks at Home Depot. Or probably anywhere they sell paint supplies.

by Anonymousreply 184January 24, 2020 6:22 AM

Why do the Chinese eat so many odd things? Dog and Koala can't, I'm guessing, taste particularly good. Is it poverty?

by Anonymousreply 185January 24, 2020 11:50 AM

R185 I think it all stems from centuries of poverty and as a result cultural as well.

However, there are a growing number of people protesting about the eating of certain types of animals in China and trying to have it banned. Let's hope they succeed.

by Anonymousreply 186January 24, 2020 12:05 PM

Aren't these the people who boil cats alive and make coats out if their fur, as well? Fuck these assholes.

Keep your killer viruses in your country and die, sick bitches!

by Anonymousreply 187January 24, 2020 12:08 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188January 24, 2020 12:14 PM

WHO doesn’t declare an emergency. They don’t seem terribly concerned... yet.

Eating everything that moves is deeply ingrained in Chinese culture. It’s caused problems before. Of course, they have to feed 1.4 BILLION people, five times the population of America. We have people starving, 40 million people live in food insecurity here, and we are the richest country in the world. How exactly is an emerging economy with less room for agriculture supposed to feed its people?

Things like this are going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 189January 24, 2020 12:22 PM

God their Disneyland is such a petri dish for this.

by Anonymousreply 190January 24, 2020 12:22 PM

Swine flu, H1N1, SARS, Ebola, this is the latest.

by Anonymousreply 191January 24, 2020 12:28 PM

The US is dying of smallpox and polio thanks to the anti-vaxxers.

by Anonymousreply 192January 24, 2020 12:30 PM

[quote] Why do the Chinese eat so many odd things?

You sound like a typical dumb yank.

by Anonymousreply 193January 24, 2020 12:31 PM

Ah so

by Anonymousreply 194January 24, 2020 12:34 PM

I’m guessing every major university in the US had at least a dozen Chinese students return to their dorms from winter break in Wuhan within the last week or two.

by Anonymousreply 195January 24, 2020 12:41 PM

I am going to a concert and a play at one of those universities this weekend, r195. They may have more than a dozen Wuhanese, as much of the school population is Chinese.

If I get deathly ill, I'll let you all know.

by Anonymousreply 196January 24, 2020 12:52 PM

In that market, there was a chart of over 112 animals they were selling. sick cunts.

by Anonymousreply 197January 24, 2020 1:06 PM

Coronavirus 'will infect 350,000 people in Wuhan': Scientists make alarming prediction ahead of Chinese New Year as China locks down FOURTEEN cities

Chinese New Year celebrations planned for this weekend have been cancelled in Beijing and Hong Kong, part of the Great Wall and Disneyland Shanghai – and even McDonald's shuts up shop

Officially, at least 850 people around the world have been infected with coronavirus and 26 have died

by Anonymousreply 198January 24, 2020 1:07 PM

[quote]You sound like a typical dumb yank.

You don't get what he was saying. Not so hard. You're the idiot.

by Anonymousreply 199January 24, 2020 1:09 PM

[quote]If I get deathly ill, I'll let you all know.

As a common courtesy, could you kindly provide a list of your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 200January 24, 2020 1:12 PM

I'm avoiding Chinatown, Chinese restaurants, and Chinese people. It's going to be frozen egg rolls only or me, for the time being. I'm swearing off bat soup as well.

by Anonymousreply 201January 24, 2020 1:20 PM

WaPo: Until now, the vast majority of coronavirus victims have been older than 60 with preexisting health conditions. But a 36-year-old man from Wuhan died on Thursday. He had no chronic diseases or other existing health conditions.

Another death occurred in Suihua in Heilongjiang province, near the border with Russia and some 1,500 miles from Wuhan.

Chinese authorities broadened a lockdown of Wuhan and two surrounding cities on Friday in their efforts to contain the coronavirus. The lockdowns now extend to a total of 14 cities in Hubei province with a population of more than 48 million — approximately the population of Spain.

There is only one confirmed case of a coronavirus patient in the United States, in Snohomish County, Washington. But the patient’s contacts who are being monitored for signs of the illness jumped from 16 to 43.

by Anonymousreply 202January 24, 2020 1:23 PM

R202 I sure hope you are correct, but read this morning there are a few possible cases in LA and another somewhere in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 203January 24, 2020 1:31 PM

A weibo video posted by a person claiming to be a nurse in #Wuhan Red Cross Hospital. She said medical workers and patients were stuck with three deceased in a packed hospital corridor. No one is here to take care of the bodies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204January 24, 2020 1:31 PM

Yes, R203, there are additional suspected cases in the U.S. but nothing's been confirmed yet.

by Anonymousreply 205January 24, 2020 1:33 PM

OMG R204!

by Anonymousreply 206January 24, 2020 1:35 PM

China is known for lying and underreporting things so they look better. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a lot worse than they have admitted.

by Anonymousreply 207January 24, 2020 1:38 PM

omg, that is disgusting!!! obviously, hundreds of thousands are sick! They are lying about the numbers. not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 208January 24, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote] WaPo: Until now, the vast majority of coronavirus victims have been older than 60 with preexisting health conditions.

Please, please, someone be a patriot and introduce this thing into the Senate chamber.

by Anonymousreply 209January 24, 2020 1:39 PM

R205 Right. Let's all hope it turns out to be common cold or flu virus. A leading virologist working for the state in HK, admitted he is scared, because China missed the "Golden Window of Oppurtunity", as he put it, for proper containment. This coupled with the 10-14 day incubation period is what concerns me for public health. ALL of China should have been locked down sooner, obviously.

There are unconfirmed cases in India and Mexico as well.

by Anonymousreply 210January 24, 2020 1:44 PM

it emerged on Thursday that nine people in the UK are being treated for suspected coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 211January 24, 2020 1:46 PM

[quote]ALL of China should have been locked down sooner, obviously.

Yes, when China itself locks down 48 million residents I don't know why the WHO hasn't declared a global emergency and urged no travel to and from the country.

Well, I do -- it would be an economic disaster -- but I thought WHO might be above financial considerations. But I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 212January 24, 2020 1:47 PM

WHO Blocks Taiwan From Critical Virus Conference. Obviously, WHO is on China's side now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 24, 2020 1:49 PM

R211 Good news for the first suspected British patient: turned out to be flu. I'm hoping the others are suffering something else, but those four Scottish patients don't look too good. They have already identified 19 strains of this, they say that is why it is difficult to identify and confirm. It is mutating quite rapidly.

by Anonymousreply 214January 24, 2020 1:54 PM

I can guarantee you that more than 25 people have died. You don't go to these extremes for just 25 people.

I saw on the news this morning that they are building a hospital to house up to 1,000 people in China. There must have been 50 bulldozers breaking ground. Thy expect it to be completed within a week.

by Anonymousreply 215January 24, 2020 1:54 PM

R215 That sounds crazy. If they have to die, I at least wish them a comfortable bed, rather than those poor souls who died on the floor in that corridor. It seems like they should have built "extra" hospitals in their empty cities they created

by Anonymousreply 216January 24, 2020 2:02 PM

The situation seems extremely suspicious, but I’m pretty confident that if there was a huge coverup markets would be much more affected. Obviously, there are more than 886 people sick. But I don’t think this is an merging pandemic. Even if there was a press blackout and misinformation, “they” couldn’t manipulate financial markets across the world.

by Anonymousreply 217January 24, 2020 2:06 PM

Yeah they don't pile corpses on the floor in the corridors unless all the rooms are full of patients.

by Anonymousreply 218January 24, 2020 2:06 PM

It was strange the WHO meeting did not come out with a statement this week with a Declaration this was a Pandemic yet. I think China is very, very concerned about the $$$ on this- with SARS they took something like a $30 Billion dollar hit because of restrictions placed on them Internationally. I think WHO gave them a chance to "Go Home and Clean House" which is part of the reason you are seeing all these drastic measures, and also why the alarm bells have not been ringing at high alarm from our own Emergency agencies- The CDC etc. They are TRYING to remain calm.

And yes I know what the Fuck I'm talking about- my partner is Chief Epidemiologist for the 2nd largest county in the country- and so far *boo* from the CDC.

by Anonymousreply 219January 24, 2020 2:07 PM

R217 markets respond to the information given to them. China's control is pretty extreme within its borders.

by Anonymousreply 220January 24, 2020 2:07 PM

Is it normal to have 19 strains already?

by Anonymousreply 221January 24, 2020 2:08 PM

Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 222January 24, 2020 2:09 PM

according to Twitter all hell is breaking loose in China. They told Dr.'s not to report to work because so many of them were getting sick so now people aren't being treated and they are getting violent. No control because the police are at the borders trying to keep people in and out.

If you have the inclination to, Pray.......

by Anonymousreply 223January 24, 2020 2:13 PM

Share some of these Chinese insider Twitter sources, please.

by Anonymousreply 224January 24, 2020 2:14 PM

R220, they don’t have that much control and whispers would get around. Chinese in the US are able to communicate with their more friends and family in China. They would get the gist of it across one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 225January 24, 2020 2:15 PM

They can dump the bodies in the ocean, like they did all the garbage we paid them to take off our hands.

by Anonymousreply 226January 24, 2020 2:15 PM

Definitely trust Twitter. It's reliability has been proven time and time again.

by Anonymousreply 227January 24, 2020 2:16 PM

CDC confirms a second case of coronavirus in the U.S. -- a woman in her 60s in Chicago who reported feeling sick when she arrived home from China on Jan. 13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228January 24, 2020 2:21 PM

Let the cars and dogs feast on their corpses. THE CIRCLE OF LIFE, BITCHES! PAYBACK, BITCHES!

by Anonymousreply 229January 24, 2020 2:22 PM

*cats and dogs

by Anonymousreply 230January 24, 2020 2:22 PM

confirmed case in Chicago...

by Anonymousreply 231January 24, 2020 2:24 PM

China is rushing to build a 1,000-bed hospital in just six days to treat patients at the epicenter of the new coronavirus, which has killed at least 26 people, infected about 830 and prompted lockdowns in at least a dozen cities, according to reports.

The 270,000-square-foot facility in Wuhan is expected to be up and running by Feb. 3 and will aim “to address the insufficiency of existing medical resources,” city officials said, according to the official Xinhua news agency.

On the eve of the Lunar New Year, transportation was shut down Friday in 12 cities with a total population of about 35 million, including Wuhan and its neighbors in central China’s Hubei province.

by Anonymousreply 232January 24, 2020 2:35 PM

I did read that people are still getting out of these cities even though they are trying to keep them in.

from Twitter, take it or leave it. some of the photos are awful.

Footage just in from China #coronovirus. China rushes to build new hospital for virus within 10 days

To prevent spread of disease: Wash your hands often w/ soap & water for >20 seconds or use hand sanitizer NO touching eyes, nose, mouth Avoid contact w/ sick people Stay home, if you’re sick Cover coughs/sneezes Clean objects & surfaces

My sources in China are confirming a serious outbreak with a mortality rate on par or higher than the #SpanishFlu. In any event the Chinese Govt is lying about the severity of the #CoronavirusOutbreak

keep calm under any situation. STAY AWAY from anyone with mild symptoms of common cold/pneumonia. Hand sanitizer/wash hands & avoid touching face w/o washing.That is MORE effective than face masks-JHU scientist Eric Toner. Wuhan our prayers are with you #Wuhan #coronoavirus #CDC

"Food market at centre of deadly coronavirus outbreak admits selling live koalas, snakes, rats and wolves"

by Anonymousreply 233January 24, 2020 2:36 PM

R223/ R33 Post Twitter links or BULLSHIT!

by Anonymousreply 234January 24, 2020 2:41 PM

Seriously, Twitter is unreliable on a good day unless the source is a verified and trustworthy source, like accredited media.

Twitter describing China doesn't meet the bar.

I am seriously asking that unless you want to cause panic and spread unverified information in a very unsettling circumstance that you either start a Twitter thread for this topic or stop quoting Twitter.

Panic is the last thing anybody needs and this kind of dodgy information contributes mightily to it.

Your call about the kind of posts it feels ethical to make.

by Anonymousreply 235January 24, 2020 2:43 PM

The Hill:

Senators entering closed-door briefing are saying they are concerned there is not appropriate coordination with China in combating coronavirus.

@SenRickScott (R-FL), who dealt with zika, says: “I don’t trust China”

by Anonymousreply 236January 24, 2020 2:45 PM

Twitter is accessible to everyone. look it up

by Anonymousreply 237January 24, 2020 2:45 PM

Hollywood Reporter: China shutters all the country's movie theaters -- nearly 70,000 -- in response to the epidemic.

by Anonymousreply 238January 24, 2020 2:48 PM

[quote]Twitter is accessible to everyone. look it up

Yeah, that's the point, genius.

by Anonymousreply 239January 24, 2020 2:50 PM

"Twitter is banned in mainland China, and most people do not have access to the site. But it seems clear that overseas envoys are being encouraged to use Twitter in a whole new way."

So take the accessibility to everything with a Rock of Gibraltar of salt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240January 24, 2020 2:52 PM

We should stop trying to save everybody and let nature take its course. We are due for some population control.

by Anonymousreply 241January 24, 2020 2:52 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242January 24, 2020 3:06 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243January 24, 2020 3:07 PM

Business Insider:

China spent the crucial first days of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak arresting people who posted about it online and threatening journalists

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244January 24, 2020 3:08 PM

Now, they say the virus is linked to Bat Soup. I guess Chinese people will eat anything, rabies and all.

by Anonymousreply 245January 24, 2020 3:10 PM

I'm very confused as to how the 2 in the US confirmed to have it didn't spread it to anyone else. Something isn't adding up.

by Anonymousreply 246January 24, 2020 3:11 PM

Accepting the virus has spread modestly outside China, how long would have you to suspend air travel in and out of China (at least) to contain it? Two weeks? A month?

by Anonymousreply 247January 24, 2020 3:12 PM

Are those people really sick? Those going to that hospital surely got themselves infected if they were not! Maybe they just had a cold and now they have the flu and may die.

Damn, I think just stay home and let the flu run its course.

I suggest stock up on chicken soup, Pedialyte , and lots of water.

by Anonymousreply 248January 24, 2020 3:14 PM

I watched CONTAGION again last night, and it's one of the most underrated film of the past 10 years. It's one of those films, like Zodiac, that you have to watch multiple times to fully appreciate because of all the information.

by Anonymousreply 249January 24, 2020 3:14 PM

They are monitoring up to 16 others...That patient in WA came into contact with 16. Not sure about the one in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 250January 24, 2020 3:15 PM

I mean surely those on the plane (that came over with the 2 infected) must be sick too? They recycle air on planes.

by Anonymousreply 251January 24, 2020 3:15 PM

We're living in Herzog's "Nosferatu."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252January 24, 2020 3:17 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253January 24, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote]I'm very confused as to how the 2 in the US confirmed to have it didn't spread it to anyone else. Something isn't adding up.

We don't yet know how contagious it is and what the incubation period is.

by Anonymousreply 254January 24, 2020 3:19 PM

Don't the Chinese eat any kind of wild, potentially diseased animal? There was a recent video of a woman eating a BAT in a restaurant there. An entire bat. Chewing on its wing. Soup that looks like sewage is also made from the nasty little creatures for Chinese patrons to enjoy. Are these people totally crazy? Why would anybody eat meat from wolves and bats and foxes and rats and peacocks? Do they consider it a delicacy? I don't know what they're thinking but they it seems totally nuts to me.

by Anonymousreply 255January 24, 2020 3:27 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256January 24, 2020 3:28 PM

The normal incubation period for coronavirus is 2 - 4 days from what I can find online (Mayo, CDC etc. SARS and MERS averaged about 5 days incubation before onset of symptoms but could go as long as fourteen days.

Close contact is defined as—

a) being within approximately 6 feet (2 meters), or within the room or care area, of a novel coronavirus case for a prolonged period of time while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment or PPE (e.g., gowns, gloves, NIOSH-certified disposable N95 respirator, eye protection); close contact can include caring for, living with, visiting, or sharing a healthcare waiting area or room with a novel coronavirus case. – or – b) having direct contact with infectious secretions of a novel coronavirus case (e.g., being coughed on) while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257January 24, 2020 3:30 PM

What the fuck do you want to eat from China anyways?

I never buy food from China.

Maybe electronic goods from China will be affected...

by Anonymousreply 258January 24, 2020 3:30 PM

R254, one of the patients was confirmed to have been in touch with 16 people after their return, sounds like they were mostly relatives. And they said that person doesn’t get out much. And then there’s who those people saw, etc...

I really recommend the movie Contagion, as someone upthread said. Excellent movie describing how diseases spread.

by Anonymousreply 259January 24, 2020 3:31 PM

I think it's airborne. They are just not saying it.

Meaning if someone coughs, you can get it if you're close enough...

hand sanitizer is a must!

Bleach all the common surfaces in your house like doorknobs, light switches etc.

by Anonymousreply 260January 24, 2020 3:32 PM

R258, clothing, pet food, produce. Virtually everything in Walmart except the food. Plastics, computers, you name it. Look around your house.

by Anonymousreply 261January 24, 2020 3:33 PM

I can't remember but the virus can live on a surface for hours and hours, maybe a day or two...does anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 262January 24, 2020 3:34 PM

Peroxide is good for killing viruses, and it’s cheap.

by Anonymousreply 263January 24, 2020 3:34 PM

Here’s a news aggregator about contagious diseases. There are a lot of sites like this online, a lot of people follow virus news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264January 24, 2020 3:40 PM

This is embarrassing. China needs to get its food markets in order, stat. Get rid of outdoor markets that can't be monitored properly. Make eating exotic wild animals illegal, with harsh punishments for violations.

Use all that panopticon tech and AI to put an end to this bullshit. Every time it happens, it makes China look bad. Hope they address this in a big way soon.

by Anonymousreply 265January 24, 2020 3:40 PM

I would consider it an honor to die from something that originated in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 266January 24, 2020 3:42 PM

This is making me so depressed and anxious

by Anonymousreply 267January 24, 2020 3:43 PM

Ugh, these fucking people who insist on CONSUMING everything, no matter how disgusting - snakes, spiders, bats, bugs. BLECH! BLECH!

by Anonymousreply 268January 24, 2020 3:44 PM

If you're in major city, stay at home as much as possible for now. Get your groceries delivered by AmazonFresh. Get HEPA filters. Vacuum. Keep peroxide and bleach on hand. Wear a mask when going outside. Order them from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 269January 24, 2020 3:45 PM

R269, The AmazonFresh delivery guy is just as likely to infect you.

You need to start growing your own fruits and vegetables and raising your own poultry and eggs.

by Anonymousreply 270January 24, 2020 3:47 PM

r269

Doesn't most things on Amazon COME FROM CHINA? Fuck

by Anonymousreply 271January 24, 2020 3:48 PM

People collapsing all over China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272January 24, 2020 3:49 PM

Five people are being tested for the coronavirus in Scotland and an incident team has been set up to deal with the threat of the virus in the country, a report said.

Three of the people being tested are believed to be Chinese nationals, the BBC reported. All of the patients have respiratory symptoms and had recently traveled to the Wuhan section of China, where the virus originated, according to the report.

Three of the people being tested in Scotland were reported in Edinburgh and a fourth is believed to be in Glasgow, according to the BBC.

One of the patients being tested is believed to be a college student at the University of Edinburgh.

by Anonymousreply 273January 24, 2020 3:51 PM

Never trust the Chinese Communist Party. The CCP prioritizes it’s own sovereignty over the well being of its citizens, and thus dramatically is underreporting the severity of this virus.

This Chinese doctor says 90k are infected in China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274January 24, 2020 3:52 PM

[quote]recommended personal protective equipment or PPE (e.g., gowns, gloves, NIOSH-certified disposable N95 respirator, eye protection)

So, the typical Datalounger's formal wear.

by Anonymousreply 275January 24, 2020 3:53 PM

Jesus Christ. This is from twitter, so take it for what’s its worth.

Watch the video. Hospital workers in their break room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276January 24, 2020 3:55 PM

WHO should be ashamed!

by Anonymousreply 277January 24, 2020 3:56 PM

I posted on twitter yesterday "Coronavirus from Wuhan, China to Donald Trump's lungs."

Within 20 minutes, my account was deleted. haha

by Anonymousreply 278January 24, 2020 3:56 PM

LAMO!!! R278

by Anonymousreply 279January 24, 2020 3:57 PM

According to link at R276, it sounds like they’re having trouble getting food for staff. Shortages.

by Anonymousreply 280January 24, 2020 3:58 PM

He's in Davos still right? With world leaders? It's possible!

by Anonymousreply 281January 24, 2020 3:58 PM

All N95 masks are sold out on Amazon that I can find.

by Anonymousreply 282January 24, 2020 3:59 PM

Doesn't the virus "die" (yes, I know they're not alive) after a few minutes of exposure to air, like HIV?

by Anonymousreply 283January 24, 2020 3:59 PM

I read the incubation period was 10-14 days which is why this virus was so bad.

by Anonymousreply 284January 24, 2020 3:59 PM

seriously, they are gonna run out of food and water in a few days...WTF is gonna happen to those in lockdown?

This is why you always have to be prepared with cans of tuna, soups, peanut butter, crackers, water...very good for storms as well.

by Anonymousreply 285January 24, 2020 4:00 PM

R270, once it's delivered, you let it stand for 30 minutes and then handle it. Plus, you can get antiviral UV lights.

by Anonymousreply 286January 24, 2020 4:01 PM

Don't forget Lesbians!

by Anonymousreply 287January 24, 2020 4:01 PM

But the masks don't protect your eyes. Can't the virus get in your eyes through the air?

by Anonymousreply 288January 24, 2020 4:04 PM

Get a zombie survival kit (includes stuff to protect yourself with) and a stun gun.

by Anonymousreply 289January 24, 2020 4:04 PM

R288, yes, you need googles as well. if you have swimming goggles, ski goggles, those will work as well.

by Anonymousreply 290January 24, 2020 4:05 PM

R288, correct, if you don't wear eye protection. Wear eye protection.

This is so dystopian. Fires burn a continent and the earth's lungs (Aus, Amazon), new diseases due to industrial farming and/or habitat encroachment. Just like the scientist predicted from climate change.

This could be the one, like in the movies. This could be it.

by Anonymousreply 291January 24, 2020 4:06 PM

R283, no, the virus lives on surfaces for up to 48 hrs. I remember this from doctors talking about the common cold or flu virus. I don't know how long this particular virus can survive on surfaces...

by Anonymousreply 292January 24, 2020 4:07 PM

Years ago, during the bird flu scare, I went on a virus tracker site forum where a nurse described the Canadian emergency plan they had in place in case of a widespread epidemic. One part was nationalizing medical personnel, essentially drafting any person with medical experience, including people that weren’t working currently, stay at home moms, retirees and similar. They would look up anyone with an active license and send the Army to the door if they had to. Those people would be forced to serve until the emergency was over.

Judging from the extreme reaction of that woman in the video above, I’m wondering if those workers are locked in (I’m sure they are) can’t go home, and she’s got children at home who are either unattended and she can’t get anyone to her home to watch them, or maybe one of her own family members is sick or dead. Look at the other workers. They’re sitting there too exhausted to even react, but she’s hysterical.

I wonder what happens if a mom with an infant at home is trapped at the hospital, and the nanny just leaves the child. Maybe out of fear that a hospital worker’s child is contagious. I hope she doesn’t have children just abandoned at home, but she isn’t allowed to do anything to help them. That looks like the extreme reaction of a mom whose children are in danger. And the woman who goes to comfort her looks like she’s comforting a person that has suffered a personal loss. She’s very sympathetic. If this was was just bitching that she wanted to go home, the others are stuck too and they’d be irritated.

There’s a few words in Chinese at the beginning, if anyone can understand it.

by Anonymousreply 293January 24, 2020 4:08 PM

10 cities 33 million people have now been quarantined. 1 case found outside quarantine area This Morning.

This is huge!!! 33 million people! I hope the army is strong...

by Anonymousreply 294January 24, 2020 4:09 PM

I read a bunch of the army and police were guarding borders and there wasn’t much help, if any, for regular crimes or issues.

by Anonymousreply 295January 24, 2020 4:11 PM

from twitter :

#China quarantined 14 cities, affecting 48 million

by Anonymousreply 296January 24, 2020 4:11 PM

R293 Chinese families are a lot bigger so it's less like the West version of a nuclear family and more like a communal thing.

by Anonymousreply 297January 24, 2020 4:12 PM

Quick, everyone! Take shelter in my anus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298January 24, 2020 4:13 PM

From twitter:

Possible 3rd case of a sick student at TN Tech University in Cookeville, TN, 80 miles east of Nashville. They're waiting for CDC test results.

by Anonymousreply 299January 24, 2020 4:13 PM

Is Cheeto going to be able to handle this? No. Protect yourselves. It's up to you alone now. The government isn't going to be able to manage this.

by Anonymousreply 300January 24, 2020 4:14 PM

Trump will use this as an excuse to close the borders and make himself King for Life!

All hail El Presidente Ivanka!

by Anonymousreply 301January 24, 2020 4:17 PM

From twitter:

Frontline health care staffs in #Wuhan suffer from shortage of basic medical protection gear. They have to DIY face protection from file folders #CoronavirusOutbreak #coronoavirus #WuhanCoronavirus #wuhanquarantine

===========

File folder is great idea! no need to buy expensive face shield! lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302January 24, 2020 4:17 PM

I'm buying worker's boots, face shield, survival kits, weapons, UV sanitizer lights, battery backup.

by Anonymousreply 303January 24, 2020 4:35 PM

Tactical clothing as well. That black ripstop stuff.

by Anonymousreply 304January 24, 2020 4:35 PM

People are acting like nothing going to happen to them. That this thing isn't coming.

by Anonymousreply 305January 24, 2020 4:49 PM

Four potential cases in NY state, NY1 news just reported.

Very early this morning I saw a video clip of at least a dozen earth-mover/diggers on a huge lot In China, dogging. My husband said the Chinese explained it as construction for a new hospital (that would be complete in six days?). In my bleary state, it looked like a mass grave. (I know: MARY!)

by Anonymousreply 306January 24, 2020 5:04 PM

^^ digging.

by Anonymousreply 307January 24, 2020 5:04 PM

[quote]The normal incubation period for coronavirus is 2 - 4 days from what I can find online

HuffPo: CDC officials said Friday that coronavirus appears low-risk, but they expect more cases in the U.S., because the virus has about a two-week incubation period.

by Anonymousreply 308January 24, 2020 5:05 PM

[quote]at least a dozen earth-mover/diggers on a huge lot In China, dogging.

[quote]^^ digging.

Aw crap. I was just going to ask for Pics please!

by Anonymousreply 309January 24, 2020 5:06 PM

Fuck. This is wild.

by Anonymousreply 310January 24, 2020 5:07 PM

R306, during SARS, the Chinese built a hospital in a week too. I read this one will be pre-fab buildings.

by Anonymousreply 311January 24, 2020 5:24 PM

The end is near.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312January 24, 2020 5:46 PM

The Guardian: British universities have warned students considering travelling home to China to celebrate Chinese new year that they risk being quarantined on their return.

by Anonymousreply 313January 24, 2020 5:52 PM

Two new studies show that the coronavirus can infections with no symptoms and sicken otherwise healthy people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314January 24, 2020 5:54 PM

[quote] You don't get what he was saying. Not so hard. You're the idiot.

Yes, I did get what he was saying, and like that poster, you are another typical dumb Yank.

by Anonymousreply 315January 24, 2020 6:15 PM

[quote] What the fuck do you want to eat from China anyways?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 316January 24, 2020 6:20 PM

Everything about that picture at R298 is so wrong. Pinky beige background with a man with yellow hair. The undertones clash everywhere. Yellow hair on a man with a pinkish face, an orange body, and dark brows. Blue knee socks.

I’m just filled with horror.

by Anonymousreply 317January 24, 2020 6:29 PM

I left out, yellow walls with pinky beige tile. That’s the worst thing in the whole picture. The man can dye his hair and body back to their natural colors. Pinky beige tile is forever.

Is that man colorblind?

by Anonymousreply 318January 24, 2020 6:32 PM

[quote]There’s a few words in Chinese at the beginning, if anyone can understand it.

"I can't tolerate any more."

by Anonymousreply 319January 24, 2020 6:58 PM

Thanks R319. That really does sound like she’s talking about work, not family matters.

by Anonymousreply 320January 24, 2020 6:59 PM

Most hand sanitizers are alcohol based. Alcohol is moderately effective against bacterial infections but virtually useless against viral infections.

Whenever you go out, don't touch your face until after you have gotten home and washed your hands in warm or hot soapy water for at least one or two minutes. Much more effective.

by Anonymousreply 321January 24, 2020 7:02 PM

What's a good UV sanitizer to buy?

Note: They create ozone, apparently, so you don't want to use it regularly.

by Anonymousreply 322January 24, 2020 7:13 PM

Upang is a well-known premium choice, R322, but it's pricey.

Most of them are marketed as baby bottle sterilizers, but they also mention that you can sterilize almost anything in them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323January 24, 2020 7:22 PM

Isn't it important that we be exposed to the virus so our immune systems will get stronger and be better prepared to fight disease?

by Anonymousreply 324January 24, 2020 7:25 PM

R324 Knock yourself out, if that's what you think is good. I'd rather prefer not coming into contact with it.

by Anonymousreply 325January 24, 2020 7:28 PM

The world health organization should send Ivanka Trump to Wuhan to investigate everything immediately. Given her prominence on the world stage and all the picture opportunities she participates in at the many summits it seems like she has the experience to handle this.

by Anonymousreply 326January 24, 2020 7:35 PM

That's true, r324, if you are one of the ones who survive.

by Anonymousreply 327January 24, 2020 7:37 PM

Given that Ivanka is 95% plastic, I assume the virus wouldn't be able to reside in her!

by Anonymousreply 328January 24, 2020 7:37 PM

R326 Brilliany idea. Please send Jared as well, not simply to wipe Princess' nose when the sniffles strike, but so he can strike a peace deal with the virus. If anyone can do it, it's Jared.

by Anonymousreply 329January 24, 2020 7:48 PM

60-year-old woman in Chicago, Illinois

She traveled to Wuhan, China - where the virus originated - in late December and arrived in the US on January 13

The woman allegedly didn't experience symptoms until several days later, and she is currently in isolation

Health officials are testing 63 people across 22 states for the deadly virus

Among them are four New Yorkers, one whose test came back negative and another three that are still pending

by Anonymousreply 330January 24, 2020 8:10 PM

Doctors revealed 43 people came into contact with the first US case, which was confirmed in Washington state The man, in his 30s, is currently being treated by a robot in a quarantined room at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett

by Anonymousreply 331January 24, 2020 8:10 PM

A robot?

They must think it's pretty serious.

You know, with this plague, the locusts in Kenya, the fires in Australia, the Davos Forum, the hailstorms in Australia, and the giant poisonous spiders in Australia swarming due to the combination, is this the sign of the end times as predicted???

by Anonymousreply 332January 24, 2020 8:16 PM

One can only hope, r332, then I don't have to do my taxes and see Trump get re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 333January 24, 2020 8:19 PM

'In 20 years of working on epidemic preparedness, I can't say that I've been more concerned than I am about the current virus,' Dr Richard Hatchett, CEO of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations in Davos, Switzerland, told Channel 4.

He explained that the current virus can cause symptoms ranging from mild to severe, so people who may not know they're infected may be spread the disease.

'The problem is that people who have very mild illness in the middle of flu season...may not even realize that they have this virus and they may continue to move around, they may continue to spread the infection.'

by Anonymousreply 334January 24, 2020 8:19 PM

The very first patient, who is being treated in Washington state, is also being kept in quarantine at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, outside of Seattle.

The unidentified male, who is his 30s and lives in Snohomish County, had traveled by himself from Wuhan but did not visit any of the markets at the epicenter of the outbreak.

He reportedly had no symptoms upon arrival in the US the virus but, after reading about the outbreak online and developing symptoms, he contacted his doctor.

The patient allegedly sought treatment on January 16 and was tested the following day.

Health officials said he was diagnosed with the virus on Monday, January 20, and is currently in stable condition, but still in quarantine.

To limit the spread of the virus the man is currently being treated by a few staff members and a robot.

The robot has a stethoscope attached to take the man's vitals and a large screen so doctors can communicate with him, Dr George Diaz, chief of the infectious disease division at the Providence Regional Medical Center, told CNN.

by Anonymousreply 335January 24, 2020 8:22 PM

"And the robot also has a KILL mode if the patient gets feisty or turns into a zombie"

by Anonymousreply 336January 24, 2020 8:24 PM

Yeah there has to be tons infected in the US by now.

by Anonymousreply 337January 24, 2020 8:36 PM

You shrieking Marys need to chill the fuck out!

by Anonymousreply 338January 24, 2020 8:58 PM

The woman in the video eating the bat is truly not to be believed. It's an entire bat she's munching on; the thing didn't even look cooked, although I suppose it was. Maybe. Eating raw bat? I think the Chinese would be willing to partake of such a treat.

by Anonymousreply 339January 24, 2020 9:20 PM

Did the bat eating video get removed? I scrolled through entire thread twice and couldn’t find it.

by Anonymousreply 340January 24, 2020 9:36 PM

She's smelling her candle, r41.

by Anonymousreply 341January 24, 2020 9:38 PM

Hold me David!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342January 24, 2020 9:40 PM

Whole bat is a delicacy in China and that video was filmed in a first class restaurant. OMG.

The virus is carried by bats and snakes, also considered a delicacy in China.

by Anonymousreply 343January 24, 2020 9:42 PM

Reuters reports: France confirmed on Friday its first two cases of the Wuhan coronavirus, with one patient being hospitalized in Paris and the other in the southwestern city of Bordeaux. Health Minister Agnes Buzyn told a news conference these were the first two confirmed cases in Europe and that more cases were likely to occur in France.

by Anonymousreply 344January 24, 2020 9:53 PM

15 more deaths reported in Wuhan-death toll up to 41-a 61% increase.

This is BAD.

by Anonymousreply 345January 24, 2020 10:22 PM

I heard young people are dying too. Damn

by Anonymousreply 346January 24, 2020 10:28 PM

Trump said China is working on it and "all will be well" and thanks President Xi, so we have nothing to worry about.

Speaking of "all will be well", what would the GOP reaction be if Obama was dismissive about service men getting head injuries and referring to it as head aches. That barely even made the news cycle. They not only won't vote to remove him or even hear evidence, they are afraid to criticize him for anything now.

by Anonymousreply 347January 24, 2020 10:29 PM

This could end up toppling China’s communist government, right?

Welcome to the Year of the Rat!

by Anonymousreply 348January 24, 2020 10:34 PM

Live updates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349January 24, 2020 10:49 PM

The woman eating the bat in the high class restaurant is easy to find. It's on YouTube. It also shows bat soup. Anybody who would eat this stuff has a few screws loose.

by Anonymousreply 350January 24, 2020 11:52 PM

I wonder what's happening in Hong Kong.

by Anonymousreply 351January 24, 2020 11:57 PM

Given the number of cases outside of China, the true number of cases in China must be extremely high. I bet US and other intelligence services are aware of what's actually going on in China and are keeping the numbers under wraps to avoid worldwide panic.

by Anonymousreply 352January 24, 2020 11:59 PM

The videos of people just collapsing on the streets are just scary...they look young too!

by Anonymousreply 353January 25, 2020 12:10 AM

What videos R353?

by Anonymousreply 354January 25, 2020 12:16 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355January 25, 2020 12:23 AM

R353 stop being an idiot

by Anonymousreply 356January 25, 2020 12:23 AM

The Panda Express by me today was EMPTY at lunch time.

by Anonymousreply 357January 25, 2020 12:24 AM

I don't believe those videos are of this latest epidemic. If that were happening, more videos would get out. There would also be widespread panic in China and it doesn't seem like that has happened yet. Again it would be hard to keep panic under wraps. There are way too many foreign journalists and foreigners living in China. It's not like North Korea, from which very little information does leak.

by Anonymousreply 358January 25, 2020 12:24 AM

R282, if you want N95 masks you better get them soon.

In Home Depot they have them in several areas. The paint department has them in plastic three packs, which is probably the most expensive way to buy them. I found some larger packs in the same aisle as the ladders. Not the big boxes, they’re out, but in packs up to eight. In some Home Depots, you can try the tool department, it depends on how they’re laid out. And eye googles were next to the face masks in the ladder aisle too. Home Depot is usually arranged so a lot of common items are in more than one area. So try other aisles if they’re not in the paint department, because that’s where everyone is going to look. There’s a lot of duplicated items as you head towards the lumber aisles.

If you can’t find them in big box stores, try smaller chains like Ace Hardware or neighborhood stores, but you’ll pay more.

by Anonymousreply 359January 25, 2020 12:28 AM

omg, 90k ppl are infected. Translation Dear friends, elders, I am ○○

I ’m still in the epidemic area of ​​Hankou, Wuhan, and I ’d like to report to you the current epidemic situation in Hubei and even the whole country. There are now more than 90,000 person-times (Note: Infected person-times?) What is the chance of this virus being transmitted? After a person is infected, if he is not effectively isolated, Or if effective treatment is performed, he will infect 14 people around him, so this level is very large. Now it ’s the time of the Chinese New Year family and friends, relatives, children, and children are all going to the house to reunite the family together for a reunion dinner The situation is special now. I hope you do n’t go out. Every year in the Spring Festival, as long as people are safe, everyone can be together anytime, anywhere Let me introduce you to the situation of medical supplies in Hubei Province At present, the entire medical system in Wuhan, which integrates the entire medical system in Hubei Province, has passed through our superiors. The health and health committee (Note: these three words are uncertain) And various administrative departments

The municipal government and the provincial government are initiating donations to the society through major media. This material is medical material. For example, the goggles I wear Wear disposable masks, wear disposable gloves, wear this gown, or even isolation pants. This material is extremely accurate. Our current medical staff must come back to the front line when they come down from the clinic. I am now equivalent to recording this video with everyone on the FireWire, in order to make everyone accurate. I stress again that during the Spring Festival holiday, do n’t go out and stay in your own house, otherwise I ’m desperately ahead Not just to keep my dad, my loved ones, healthy I hope everyone can understand, I also know that some relatives are not in the group, please see the news of me, call each other and inform It must be done. I hope everyone can raise awareness. This is a political task. And I ’m reporting very bad news. This new type of coronavirus has undergone the second generation mutation In other words, in the first generation of mutation, we can treat it symptomatically. Then when the second-generation mutation occurs, this is terrible, and its chance of infection is not one person to one person, one person has the disease and infects 14 people around him. Then it is pour burst (note: these five characters are uncertain) I hope everyone remembers, do n’t go out, do n’t go out, do n’t meet, do n’t have dinner thank you all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360January 25, 2020 12:31 AM

90k infected means 900k infected

by Anonymousreply 361January 25, 2020 12:36 AM

R361, the lady was a doctor from the frontline. That was a private video she sent to her family via wechat. The data should be accurate

by Anonymousreply 362January 25, 2020 12:47 AM

That's quite an R knot.

by Anonymousreply 363January 25, 2020 1:00 AM

Guys clearly this is nothing, China can't suppress anything, there are all sorts of journalists and people there! It's totally not scary or a threat, China's actually very open really and is honest with the rest of the world, and surely foreign journalists blah blah blah! Nothing to see here!

by Anonymousreply 364January 25, 2020 1:06 AM

It’s difficult, if not impossible to ever trust that figures reported by the Chinese Communist Party are accurate, simply because the CCP’s only concern is retaining and expanding its power. The CCP can’t let Chinese citizens know the truth—that this virus is out of control—because doing so would make Party officials seem incompetent.

The truth is that there are FAR more cases (infections and deaths) than have been reported. Just like with SARS in 2003, the CCP is intentionally downplaying the severity of this pandemic. Evil fucking commies.

by Anonymousreply 365January 25, 2020 1:23 AM

You bitches are so fucking dramatic

by Anonymousreply 366January 25, 2020 1:26 AM

R-naught, Kate at R263.

I’m looking that movie up now.

by Anonymousreply 367January 25, 2020 1:26 AM

[quote]Just like with SARS in 2003

Even SARS wasn't really that bad, at least according to the wikipedia page I just checked out. Only 774 people died (which sucks if you happen to be one of them, but it's still only 0.0000001% of the world population), zero in the United States. It too had a ~10% fatality rate. If this is another SARS...meh? I'd worry more about influenza.

by Anonymousreply 368January 25, 2020 1:38 AM

[quote] I watched CONTAGION again last night, and it's one of the most underrated film of the past 10 years. It's one of those films, like Zodiac, that you have to watch multiple times to fully appreciate because of all the information.

It is a very good film, it’s currently back on the iTunes movie charts. People have been watching this film lately, because of the China virus.

by Anonymousreply 369January 25, 2020 1:39 AM

I wonder if SNL will do a sketch about this with Boeng Yang tomorrow night.

by Anonymousreply 370January 25, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote] Guys clearly this is nothing, China can't suppress anything, there are all sorts of journalists and people there! It's totally not scary or a threat, China's actually very open really and is honest with the rest of the world, and surely foreign journalists blah blah blah! Nothing to see here!

That's not what I said. If there are people dropping dead in the streets, a lot of people with access to the West will see it. There are thousands of foreign journalsts-- not controlled by the PRC-- all over China. There are thousands of foreign students. Those people would be spreading the word in a dozen different ways. That has not happened.

Believing unsourced social media postings is the height of stupidity. Have we not learned anything in the past few years?

by Anonymousreply 371January 25, 2020 1:49 AM

[quote]Ugh, these fucking people who insist on CONSUMING everything, no matter how disgusting - snakes, spiders, bats, bugs. BLECH! BLECH!

Exactly. History taught us time and time again that bushmeat from Africa and Asia will kill millions of people.

by Anonymousreply 372January 25, 2020 2:41 AM

army patrolling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373January 25, 2020 5:00 AM

#WuhanCoronovirus has reached Australia. The incubation period for the virus is long enough for patients to travel and with no fever, there is almost no way to detect.

by Anonymousreply 374January 25, 2020 5:01 AM

Re: R360

[quote]There are now more than 90,000 person-times (Note: Infected person-times?)

The literal translation is 90,000 people-visits. In context, she was saying that there have been 90k hospital visits.

by Anonymousreply 375January 25, 2020 5:05 AM

^^ over 90k visits, I meant to write.

by Anonymousreply 376January 25, 2020 5:07 AM

Virus-hit Wuhan has two laboratories linked to Chinese bio-warfare program

The deadly animal virus epidemic spreading globally may have originated in a Wuhan laboratory linked to China’s covert biological weapons program, according to an Israeli biological warfare expert.

Radio Free Asia this week rebroadcast a local Wuhan television report from 2015 showing China’s most advanced virus research laboratory known the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Radio Free Asia reported.

The laboratory is the only declared site in China capable of working with deadly viruses.

Dany Shoham, a former Israeli military intelligence officer who has studied Chinese bio warfare, said the institute is linked to Beijing’s covert biological weapons program.

“Certain laboratories in the institute have probably been engaged, in terms of research and development, in Chinese [biological weapons], at least collaterally, yet not as a principal facility of the Chinese BW alignment,” Mr. Shoham told The Washington Times.

Work on biological weapons is conducted as part of a dual civilian-military research and is “definitely covert,” he said in an email.

Mr. Shoham holds a doctorate in medical microbiology. From 1970 to 1991 he was a senior analyst with Israeli military intelligence for biological and chemical warfare in the Middle East and worldwide, holding the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377January 25, 2020 5:13 AM

Remember me? I invented this facemask trend!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378January 25, 2020 5:15 AM

That bio-warfare program is fake news. The virus is from that food market.

by Anonymousreply 379January 25, 2020 5:45 AM

The novel Coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China probably originated from cross-species contamination at the large and notoriously filthy open-air seafood and meat market there. And horribly bad mismanagement of the outbreak by political and medical authorities at the scene and provincially and above. Initially, news and reporting of the illness was stifled to keep it out of the news, including discouraging doctors to report sick patients to other doctors.

It doesn’t help that the Chinese New Year holiday is starting now with millions traveling on trains from cities to their rural family homes for their annual reunions. Crowded trains are a recipe for spread of disease.

by Anonymousreply 380January 25, 2020 6:15 AM

This is 1918 all over again.

by Anonymousreply 381January 25, 2020 6:58 AM

My guess is people will not be traveling to Chinese New Years celebrations if they didn’t leave some time ago. And if they did, they can’t get home now. Public conveyances are closed now.

I saw a picture of dump trucks pouring heaps of dirt on the road between Wuhan and the next province so people there can’t escape. I read people were still trying to sneak out, that’s why they did it. It’s similar to what happened during the Black Death, people escaping for their lives, only to infect others in new areas. There’s a long incubation period with no symptoms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382January 25, 2020 7:42 AM

The road out of Wuhan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383January 25, 2020 7:43 AM

I’d like to know what happened to change authorities from trying to cover it up, as they usually do, to trying desperately to stop people escaping by burying the road. What the hell is going on in there? And how are doctors and people from WHO supposed to get in there? Or food trucks? Are they just going to leave them to starve in there? It looks like unthinking panic.

They’ve ordered that airlines are supposed to refund all tickets from passengers that want to cancel. I don’t think that’s just around Wuhan either. The best thing people could do now is not travel.

by Anonymousreply 384January 25, 2020 7:49 AM

One of my piano students spent her Christmas vacation in China, and returned on New Year's Eve. So far, she seems just fine. She was in Northeastern China, though, not in central China, so I think it unlikely she was exposed.

by Anonymousreply 385January 25, 2020 8:27 AM

Here’s some video from China. The part at the beginning you’ve probably already seen, but keep watching. Totally empty shelves at what looks like a supermarket, people collapsed in the street, then completely empty streets.

If the shelves are as empty as that, what are people going to eat in a few days?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386January 25, 2020 8:30 AM

Some anti-HIV/AIDS medicines like Lopinavir might help suppress virus . Good news to poz eldergays

by Anonymousreply 387January 25, 2020 8:31 AM

Anyone from Wuhan before the lockdown is dangerous. Lots of them take China internal airlines or high speed train to get to Shanghai , Beijing, Guangzhou or other cities to get to Western countries. The Melbourne case is the typical example. The guy escaped Wuhan before the lockdown. He took a flight from Wuhan to Guangzhou. Guangzhou has direct flight to Melbourne. Vancouver , Toronto, SF, NYC, los angeles are in high risk right now. How many ppl from Wuhan take direct or indirect flights to these cities ? I have no clue. Since the incubation period can be 15 days, things will be unfolded in the next two weeks in North America. God bless!

by Anonymousreply 388January 25, 2020 8:36 AM

Furthermore, after Lunar Chinese new year, tons of Chinese will come back to North America. It gonna be the second wave.

by Anonymousreply 389January 25, 2020 8:40 AM

[quote] If the shelves are as empty as that, what are people going to eat in a few days?

If they’re willing to eat bats, then is eating A child that much of a stretch?

by Anonymousreply 390January 25, 2020 8:52 AM

In an interview with NPR, Allis also talked about shortages of essential items. "We're running out of hospital supplies ... the supermarkets are out of food," he says. His friend bought a head of cabbage for at least five times the normal cost. The pharmacy he went to this week is out of hand sanitizer and face masks.

Hospitals in Wuhan have asked the public to donate medical supplies including masks, surgical gowns and protective clothing. "This is ... not good," tweeted Laurie Chen, a reporter for the South China Morning Post. "Gives some idea of how desperate the equipment shortage is and how under-resourced hospitals are in times of crisis."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391January 25, 2020 8:55 AM

Considering people can’t leave Wuhan, I wonder what’s going to happen to visitors that are coming from America for the holiday. I’m guessing they’re having to stay with family until it’s over, whenever that is. I heard they expected it to peak in February. But what happened to guests staying in hotels? Is there any food for them? What if they can’t afford to stay for weeks or months?

“Chinese state media are reporting that authorities in the city of Wuhan are planning to suspend bus, subway, ferry and long-distance passenger transport. They also say that all flights and trains departing from Wuhan will be temporarily canceled in a bid to reduce spread of the new virus.

“The announcement from Wuhan authorities read in part: "Residents should not leave the city, unless under special circumstances. Outbound planes and trains will be halted temporarily until further notice. We appreciate your understanding and support."

“Wuhan is a major rail and road hub in central China. It also has the country's largest inland port on the Yangtze River.

“The lockdown on transit will start at 10 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 23, in China. Schools are on winter break, and Thursday is the last day of scheduled work before the Lunar New Year commences. The authorities have not made any announcements for individuals who use public transportation to commute to work and may have to work during the coming holiday.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392January 25, 2020 9:02 AM

I'm going to stock up on essential s- 6 months supply should be enough.

by Anonymousreply 393January 25, 2020 9:23 AM

It's Wuhan not WooHoo so you gays relax, you can still be nasty

by Anonymousreply 394January 25, 2020 10:08 AM

[quote][quote]If the shelves are as empty as that, what are people going to eat in a few days?[quote] If they’re willing to eat bats, then is eating A child that much of a stretch?[quote]

Not for me

by Anonymousreply 395January 25, 2020 10:09 AM

Harvard epidemiologist Eric Feigl-Ding:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD - the new coronavirus is a 3.8!!! How bad is that reproductive R0 value? It is thermonuclear pandemic level bad - never seen an actual virality coefficient outside of Twitter in my entire career. I’m not exaggerating..

I’ll be honest - as an epidemiologist, I’m really deeply worried about this new coronavirus outbreak. 1) the virus has an upward infection trajectory curve much steeper than SARS. 2) it can be transmitted person to person before symptoms appear — I.e. it is silently contagious!

by Anonymousreply 396January 25, 2020 11:52 AM

Am I putting myself at risk going to a play at a school 10-15% of whose student body came back from China last weekend? The university itself sent out an email stressing that while no one in our county has this flu yet, anyone from Wuhan who's coughing, etc., should report either to student health or the county health department. Given the language, it sounds as if there could be Wuhanites in the audience.

Should I stay (home) or should I go?

by Anonymousreply 397January 25, 2020 12:00 PM

R397 stay at home. Definitely.

by Anonymousreply 398January 25, 2020 12:09 PM

Johns Hopkins has produced a real-time map.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399January 25, 2020 12:20 PM

Sylvia, what are you hearing about it at your workplace?

by Anonymousreply 400January 25, 2020 12:46 PM

Hey, do the N99 masks work too? They are still available on Amazon. I bought one and consider myself one of the lucky ones back from Asia before the outbreak (got back on the 13th). I was the person upthread that said that Thai airlines was spraying disinfectant in the aisles. This was BEFORE any public announcements, so I wonder if it was a usual precaution, or if they knew something.

by Anonymousreply 401January 25, 2020 1:17 PM

R401 Flights into and out of Asia often do this depending where they are landing. They are normally spraying insecticides.

by Anonymousreply 402January 25, 2020 1:27 PM

BBC: Chinese President Xi Jinping has held a special government meeting on the Lunar New Year public holiday to warn that the spread of a deadly new virus is "accelerating".

The country is facing a "grave situation" Mr Xi told senior officials, according to state television.

by Anonymousreply 403January 25, 2020 1:28 PM

I hope it spreads faster.

by Anonymousreply 404January 25, 2020 1:30 PM

At least we're gettin' are jobs back! They can't steal 'em no more if they're dead!!!! USA!!!! USA!!! USA A A!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405January 25, 2020 1:36 PM

WSJ: The U.S. government is arranging a charter flight Sunday to evacuate its citizens and diplomats from the epidemic-stricken Chinese city of Wuhan to the U.S.

Roughly 1,000 American citizens are thought to be in Wuhan, and the U.S. consulate there is reaching out to the ones it knows about to offer them a seat on the plane. The plane seats around 230 people.

It couldn’t be learned where in the U.S. the plane would fly to.

by Anonymousreply 406January 25, 2020 1:45 PM

R406 Alabama

by Anonymousreply 407January 25, 2020 1:51 PM

I was wondering the same thing. they will run out of food very soon!

I suppose lots of families bought a lot of snacks for Chinese New Year and can snack on those...but how long will that last?

I visited a friend for Chinese New Year a few years ago and the house had so much food, candy, etc...I am assuming that's the same for most families...

I have never even heard of Wuhan...

by Anonymousreply 408January 25, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote]It couldn’t be learned where in the U.S. the plane would fly to.

If Trump has his way it'll be Biden Campaign Headquarters.

by Anonymousreply 409January 25, 2020 2:22 PM

I hope those coming back will be quarantined for 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 410January 25, 2020 2:29 PM

yes, as others had mentioned. This can spread even if you have no symptoms! So don't go to Chinatown, or crowded places for next few weeks.

Stock up and supplies...bleach your whole house!

by Anonymousreply 411January 25, 2020 2:30 PM

Some good news:

Save The new form of coronavirus sweeping out of China “greatly resembles” Sars, which killed more than 700 people, and is “capable of spreading from person to person and between cities”, scientists have found.

[italic]They also discovered a key difference with Sars, however, in that the new virus does not cause runny noses, sneezing or diarrhoea. They said that this may make the present outbreak spread less quickly than Sars did in 2002 and 2003.[/italic]

Researchers in China have analysed the first 41 cases of the new virus, known to virologists as the “2019 novel coronavirus” or 2019-nCoV.

Almost all of the patients had a fever, three quarters had a cough, and around half suffered from fatigue and shortness of breath. Almost a third developed acute respiratory distress syndrome where fluid leaks into the lungs. All of them had pneumonia, the primary cause of death in fatal cases. Of the 41 cases, 27 sufferers had been exposed to the seafood market in Wuhan, which is thought to be the point at which the virus transferred from animals to humans.

An editorial from The Lancet said: “The severity of illness is concerning. Almost a third of patients developed acute respiratory distress syndrome requiring intensive care, six patients died, five had acute cardiac injury and four required ventilation.”

Though this data suggests a mortality rate of 15 per cent, this may be because only those with more severe symptoms were identified as subjects for the study. The mortality rate of 41 deaths out of 1,287 confirmed cases in China is around 3 per cent.

The study published in The Lancet noted that, like with Sars, most sufferers were healthy people without prior illnesses and found that the new virus shared symptoms with Sars such as fever, a dry cough and shortness of breath. They added, however: “There are some important differences [with Sars], such as the absence of upper respiratory tract symptoms including rhinorrhoea [a runny nose], sneezing and sore throat, and intestinal symptoms such as diarrhoea.”

Paul Hunter, a professor of medicine at the University of East Anglia, said that this was good news, noting: “This is important as sneezes and runny noses are a prime way for people to spread infection. It is possible that in the absence of such symptoms people early in the stages will be less infectious.”

by Anonymousreply 412January 25, 2020 2:33 PM

What about those who died? how old were they?

by Anonymousreply 413January 25, 2020 2:36 PM

OK, so most people who died had connections to that animals market, so that means they ate the wild animals.

FUCK THEM CUNTS!!! THEY DESERVED IT!!!

by Anonymousreply 414January 25, 2020 2:37 PM

Stop it r414,, r377 stated the Israeli liked china bio warfare lab near wuhan started this. Stop blaming the civilian. It is the corrupted Chinese government. The fish market angle is agenda pushing to hide their latest weapon.

by Anonymousreply 415January 25, 2020 2:43 PM

China's president Xi Jinping warns killer coronavirus is accelerating as doctor dies and US evacuates its citizens from hotspot Wuhan after death toll jumps to 41 with 1,281 cases and 56 million on lockdown.

State-run China Global Television Network reported that a doctor, Liang Wudong, 62, had died from the virus

by Anonymousreply 416January 25, 2020 2:48 PM

56 million on lockdown...wow!

How big is the Chinese army?

by Anonymousreply 417January 25, 2020 2:49 PM

Wudong, who was retired but drafted in to help with the outbreak, died after time spent treating patients. It was also reported that another doctor, Jiang Jijun, has died from a heart attack while treating the afflicted.

by Anonymousreply 418January 25, 2020 2:50 PM

Also today, distressing video has emerged showing a doctor collapsing on the floor as footage revealed the full scale of panic inside Wuhan hospitals, with crowded corridors and patients slumped on the floor.

Video shows staff shouting at patients to calm themselves as medics desperately try to contain the situation. Some workers are reported to be wearing diapers as they don't have time to use the toilet amid the panic.

Some 56 million people are now subject to restrictions on their movement as authorities expand travel bans in central Hubei province, now affecting 18 cities.

by Anonymousreply 419January 25, 2020 2:51 PM

Time for a sequel to The Farewell.

by Anonymousreply 420January 25, 2020 2:59 PM

NYT: China said on Saturday that it would suspend all tour groups and the sale of flight and hotel packages for its citizens headed overseas, starting on Monday.

The association for China’s travel agencies said tour groups that were in the middle of their trips could proceed with their itineraries but should closely monitor the health of their travelers.

This measure may come as welcome news to countries that have been gearing up to screen travelers from China for fevers and other signs of infection.

by Anonymousreply 421January 25, 2020 3:03 PM

If China did that, I'm... slightly worried.

by Anonymousreply 422January 25, 2020 3:05 PM

Here's the fun one. If you do the math which I know lots of people are math phobic. Anyway I did it, total infection vs. death rate? It's 3%. So out of curiosity I wondered how many people the regular old Flu causes. The death rate is 5%.

So this is nothing but a media firestorm. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 423January 25, 2020 3:06 PM

^ That's actually good news. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 424January 25, 2020 3:07 PM

Did a Harvard epidemiologist really describe this as a “holy mother of god” thing?

by Anonymousreply 425January 25, 2020 3:26 PM

Luci you dumb cunt. The Chinese LIES. It is probably there 10x more people died. It is a cover up. If it is that low, the Chinese would not be dumb enough to shut 56 mil pig its own citizen in.

by Anonymousreply 426January 25, 2020 3:26 PM

R425 Yes. He seems legit.

by Anonymousreply 427January 25, 2020 3:31 PM

R423 - maybe I am misreading the CDC’s stats at this link, but mortality rates for normal flu seem MUCH lower than 5% or 3%.

Looks like the most recent mortality rate was .09%.

3% would be horrendous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428January 25, 2020 3:36 PM

here’s more video. This is not how regular flu epidemics go. Look at the footage and you can see this isn’t normal. A doctor collapsed on the video, unknown whether it’s due to illness or exhaustion. Both are bad.

It’s very hard to know the mortality rate when this is China and they cover up everything. But they’re not building a hospital in a week for no reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429January 25, 2020 3:56 PM

That China has admitted as much as they have speaks to how dire this may become. At least they're finally shutting everything down in an attempt to staunch the outbreak.

by Anonymousreply 430January 25, 2020 4:04 PM

This guy on twitter has posted some interesting things. Here’s a video alleged to come from a hospital in Wuhan. Patient has a seizure, it appears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431January 25, 2020 4:07 PM

I’m guessing this is because they’re unidentifiable with protective gear on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432January 25, 2020 4:09 PM

Reading the comments on R431, it’s possible that isn’t a fever and it’s fever chills. Unknown. Another person says they read elsewhere that patient had a very high fever, so that would cause a seizure.

I don’t know what they can do for someone like this in an overcrowded hospital. Do they have access to anything to lower the temperature? Maybe not if they’re running out of supplies. And I can’t imagine they could put him in a bath. They are wildly overcrowded.

by Anonymousreply 433January 25, 2020 4:13 PM

R404 Can you spell schadenfreude? Whyever do you feel this way?

by Anonymousreply 434January 25, 2020 4:13 PM

The death rate from normal flu is not 5% for fuck’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 435January 25, 2020 4:16 PM

Video from an account called GHOST.

Yeah.

by Anonymousreply 436January 25, 2020 4:18 PM

These videos have been passed around by multiple sources. That guy didn’t personally take the video.

by Anonymousreply 437January 25, 2020 4:20 PM

OMG - those GHASTLY twitter videos.

by Anonymousreply 438January 25, 2020 4:28 PM

[quote]The death rate from normal flu is not 5% for fuck’s sake.

So what is it, Miss Know It All?

by Anonymousreply 439January 25, 2020 4:30 PM

R435 it's probably that same guy who keeps spreading misinformation about how "surely China can't cover it up!"

by Anonymousreply 440January 25, 2020 4:36 PM

Out of 41 MILLION flu infections in America last year there were 57,000 deaths. That’s BARELY 0.1%, you fucking morons. Certainly NOT 5% for fuck’s sake, so keep your fucking Trumpian conspiracy theories to yourselves. We have enough stupidity as it is here.

by Anonymousreply 441January 25, 2020 4:59 PM

R441, you're clearly upset, but tone down the language please!

by Anonymousreply 442January 25, 2020 5:02 PM

My thinking is EXACTLY where R388's is at. The longer incubation period (10 -14 days) which means that while it's all nice and dandy that the U.S and other countries around the globe are JUST NOW tracking down passengers on flights from Wuhan with Corona-like symptoms, the reality is- there have been people like this infected with the virus since LATE DECEMBER! Think about what that means- individuals walking around the U.S. for weeks, possibly thinking they had " the flu", infecting other people, and unfortunately a few even dying.

But what REALLY pisses me off is the Laissez-faire attitude of the WHO and our own CDC that are waving this off as some lower-grade threat to other countries around the world when knowledgeable scientists with hard data and experience are proclaiming the exact opposite. Infuriating!

by Anonymousreply 443January 25, 2020 5:12 PM

It’s traveled around the world already. There are cases in Japan, Australia, the U.S. and practically every developed country, or soon will be.

These people have been walking around for weeks not knowing they’re sick. They’re going to spread it to everybody they know, plus the grocery cart at the supermarket, and have no idea until it’s too late. Plus there’s the U.S. custom of going to work very sick, because there’s not enough paid time off, or the boss won’t let you use what you have. Better hope none of these people work in a restaurant, hospital or schoolo.

Really, this is just like the movie Contagion, which does a wonderful job of explaining how contagious diseases spread and how the CDC tracks them. It’s like watching the movie in real time.

by Anonymousreply 444January 25, 2020 5:40 PM

^ school, not schoolo

by Anonymousreply 445January 25, 2020 5:40 PM

I'm in Edinburgh and I have a cold. Pray for me, DL.

by Anonymousreply 446January 25, 2020 5:46 PM

more people get the flu than HIV

by Anonymousreply 447January 25, 2020 6:13 PM

You’re just seroconverting, r446.

by Anonymousreply 448January 25, 2020 6:13 PM

What, no Crazy Rich Dead Asian jokes yet?

by Anonymousreply 449January 25, 2020 6:18 PM

a list of people on Twitter that you should be able to trust that have info:

Ronald Dacey

9h

@DrDenaGrayson

@DrEricDing

@bylenasun

@TheLancet

@MRC_Outbreak

@ContagionTrack

@howroute

Again, all info should be treated with care. Fearmongering should be questioned BUT concerning voices also shouldn't be placed into the "conspiracy bucket" by default!

by Anonymousreply 450January 25, 2020 6:22 PM

R400 Our conference isn't until May, so who knows what the situation will be by then. Yesterday I mentioned it in passing to one of my frau co-workers, and got an "ohmygosh, I hadn't even thought of that!" response. There's a staff meeting next week so I'll be interested in hearing what our director has to say. He's very, very French, so he'll probably just shrug it off.

We haven't heard anything from the Chinese university co-hosts yet. MAYBE THEY ALL DIED!

by Anonymousreply 451January 25, 2020 6:23 PM

[quote]Did a Harvard epidemiologist really describe this as a “holy mother of god” thing?

Yes but he's getting a lot of pushback. For example:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452January 25, 2020 6:31 PM

The "holy mother of god" was based on a slapdash report which estimated the R0 at 3.8. The author has since lowered that to 2.5, which is still bad.

by Anonymousreply 453January 25, 2020 6:49 PM

Thank goodness so many geniuses are following what random people say on Twitter and reposting it here! But what about youtube? Do we have enough geniuses to cover it as well?

by Anonymousreply 454January 25, 2020 6:49 PM

The death rate from the flu is around 1%:

[quote] For comparison, seasonal flu typically has a mortality rate below 1% and is thought to cause about 400,000 deaths each year globally.

Of course, that's from a reputable newspaper that links to a NIH study, and NOT some guy on Twitter. So please treat the information with extreme caution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455January 25, 2020 6:53 PM

So we’ve got a Harvard epidemiologist sounding the alarm and a NY Times science writer pushing back.

Who to believe? WHO TO BELIEVE????

by Anonymousreply 456January 25, 2020 7:05 PM

The epidemiologist has backtracked a bit now that another research group has estimated the coronavirus transmission at 2.6 rather than 3.8. But he maintains 2.6 "is still extremely bad."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457January 25, 2020 7:10 PM

The common flu death rate is not 1% it’s .1% a huge difference.

by Anonymousreply 458January 25, 2020 7:26 PM

Accelerating! 50 million people in lockdown in China! Will the Emperor be dethroned?

China’s president, Xi Jinping, has called an emergency government meeting, telling officials the country is facing a “grave situation” as the new coronavirus is “accelerating its spread”.

More than 50 million people are spending China’s most important holiday under lockdown as the country expands its travel restrictions in an attempt to stop the spread of the new coronavirus.

Officials confirmed on Saturday, the lunar new year, that the death toll from the viral outbreak had reached 41 and that more than 1,200 further people had been affected.

A doctor treating people infected with the virus was among those who died. Liang Wudong, 62, died on Saturday morning, state media said, and it was also reported by the Chinese Global Times website that another doctor who had been treating patients in Wuhan died of a heart attack later in the day.

In Beijing, five new cases have been confirmed, according to Chinese National Radio, including two patients who had not recently travelled to Hubei, the centre of the outbreak. In all previous cases in the capital, patients had reportedly visited the province.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459January 25, 2020 7:30 PM

R455 and r458, Please get together and figure out the accurate mortality rate for flu

by Anonymousreply 460January 25, 2020 7:39 PM

Mortality rate in the USA, as I’ve stated before multiple fucking times is .1%. 41 million infected, 57,000 dead. Do the math yourself.

by Anonymousreply 461January 25, 2020 7:47 PM

In tropical areas, influenza occurs throughout the year. In the Northern Hemisphere, the influenza season typically starts in early fall, peaks in mid-February, and ends in the late spring of the following year. The duration and severity of influenza epidemics vary, however, depending on the virus subtype involved.

The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 3-5 million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths. [21] In the United States, individual cases of seasonal flu and flu-related deaths in adults are not reportable illnesses; consequently, mortality is estimated by using statistical models

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462January 25, 2020 7:50 PM

r425 if we read it on the Internet it HAS to be true!

by Anonymousreply 463January 25, 2020 7:59 PM

The empty shelves in r429 's video are from a store that hasn't yet opened yet. The papers/signs hanging from empty shelves are planograms telling staff what stock goes on them. The floors are too clean to be a retail store in use.

by Anonymousreply 464January 25, 2020 8:04 PM

Will the "read it on the Internet, it MUST be true! LOL!" sarcasm trolls give it a fucking rest already?

The doctors and people following the reported information are making informed (as much as they can be) commentary on social media, including Twitter. China is not known for being forthcoming with their information, either, so it's likely worse than they are reporting. No sane person thinks that Twitter is an indisputable source of facts, but it's equally insane (and a logical fallacy) to dismiss something JUST BECAUSE it appears on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 465January 25, 2020 8:05 PM

calm down r465, i’ve got a nice n95 mask for you.

by Anonymousreply 466January 25, 2020 8:23 PM

R457 Let's just split the difference and call it at 3.

by Anonymousreply 467January 25, 2020 8:24 PM

Health officials in Toronto conform that a patient is being treated in hospital for the Coronavirus. The individual is in stable condition having returned from China on the 22nd.

by Anonymousreply 468January 25, 2020 10:01 PM

This flu seems to be killing people who are slightly older.

Its no secret that the flu is harder on people who are older. I think thats why these health organizations are being cautious about going bonkers about this. Once you are in your 60s, you should know that every flu season you stand a chance of being knocked completely out of commission by a bad flu. This one is particularly bad so people in that age bracket and up need to take extra precaution.

by Anonymousreply 469January 25, 2020 11:15 PM

I doubt it will kill people in India & Pakistan where people shit in the streets & animal carcasses lie rotting in the gutters. They never get wiped out by these Chinese diseases.

by Anonymousreply 470January 25, 2020 11:55 PM

But they do carry their own share of pandemics, r470, caused by "people shitting in the streets & animal carcasses lie rotting in the gutters ".

by Anonymousreply 471January 26, 2020 12:27 AM

There's GOT to be a morning after...

by Anonymousreply 472January 26, 2020 12:48 AM

Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473January 26, 2020 12:53 AM

My co-worker told me that during the SARS outbreak, few indians got sick, told me it was because they ate a lot of spices like tumeric.

by Anonymousreply 474January 26, 2020 1:05 AM

Why am I watching Contagion tonight?

by Anonymousreply 475January 26, 2020 1:24 AM

I suspect a lot of the over exaggerated hype over this is being driven by the "content creation" culture over the past 10 years. There are hundreds of thousands of "freelance content creators" that just sit at home at their laptops and make a career out of paraphrasing and parroting the same news talking points for mainstream publishers.

by Anonymousreply 476January 26, 2020 2:06 AM

Wuhan citizen seeking help from the world

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477January 26, 2020 2:16 AM

R477 absolutely useless without subtitles

by Anonymousreply 478January 26, 2020 2:41 AM

R478, turn on the youtube subtitles

by Anonymousreply 479January 26, 2020 2:43 AM

Well that guy in R477’s video just asked for a one way ticket to a work camp.

by Anonymousreply 480January 26, 2020 2:49 AM

A doctor on the BBC just said she thinks the lockdowns in China could actually backfire because sick people could scatter and draconian measures could also backfire because the stigma could cause sick people to not report their condition.

by Anonymousreply 481January 26, 2020 4:11 AM

Just watched Contagion per DL recommendations. It was pretty scary especially if you compare the film with the twitter videos linked throughout this thread. Is the film's publicist some WeHo queen working his dark sorcery magic to get everyone on DL to pay $3.99 to watch this film?

by Anonymousreply 482January 26, 2020 6:14 AM

Is that the film about bat droppings infecting pigs on a farm, a Chinese chef prepping an infected pork, not washing his hands, shakes the hand of patient zero? Oh, and Matt Damon dies.

by Anonymousreply 483January 26, 2020 6:22 AM

4 people in Michigan have it. EEEEK

by Anonymousreply 484January 26, 2020 6:25 AM

R483, Matt Damon is a rare case of natural immunity, he is exposed but doesn’t get sick. Gwenyth, on the other hand...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485January 26, 2020 6:32 AM

Goop as Zelda Goldman as Beth Emhoff, aka Patient Zero

Oddly enough, nine years later the rest of us looked exactly like this when we learned of her vagina candle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486January 26, 2020 6:32 AM

Watching was interesting b/c Goop, Jude Law and Matt Damon were some of the most beautiful casting I have ever seen in Ripley. Especially Jude Law who doesn't even get ill in the film All 3 of them look like hell - night and day despite this being about the flu. This was made in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 487January 26, 2020 6:36 AM

Contagion is a really well made film. A future classic for sure.

by Anonymousreply 488January 26, 2020 6:50 AM

Orange County’s First Novel Coronavirus Case Confirmed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489January 26, 2020 6:54 AM

Goddamn barebacking gays, they always start this shit!

by Anonymousreply 490January 26, 2020 6:58 AM

The scary thing is air travel because they recirculate so much of the air. The virus has a chance to build up, if even a single person onboard has it.

by Anonymousreply 491January 26, 2020 7:38 AM

Must say I am actually starting to get concerned about this. This latest virus is spreading very quickly and its incubation period is still uncertain (could be up to or even over 14 days). Also, they don't know when people with the virus are actually infectious - before they become ill are whilst they are ill.

Also, the virus appears to be mutating and becoming stronger.

Any country around the world sprouting nonsense like 'We can control this, there is nothing for the general population to worry about' are lying through their teeth. There isn't a country on the planet that will be able to manage this if it hits big time and the economic impacts will make the Great Depression look like a walk in the park.

I expect the World Health Organisation (WHO) is proclaim this as a worldwide emergency within the next 2 days.

And frankly all travel (particular air travel) should be ceased worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 492January 26, 2020 8:13 AM

R477 I hope the guy in the video is nothing more than an internet prankster. Because if he is for real we are truely fucked.

by Anonymousreply 493January 26, 2020 8:14 AM

Let me get home from my work trip first, r492!

by Anonymousreply 494January 26, 2020 8:16 AM

R492, correct. Unlike SARS, the virus can spread during incubation period (at most 14 days). A lot of ppl might not even have symptoms or only have light symptoms in incubation period. That is one of the reason why the virus is spreading quickly

by Anonymousreply 495January 26, 2020 8:21 AM

The Chinese reproduce faster than they virus can kill them. So the Chinese don't much care, because they have a surplus of old people anyway.

by Anonymousreply 496January 26, 2020 8:34 AM

Fuck WHO WHO postpones decision on declaring China coronavirus a global health emergency

by Anonymousreply 497January 26, 2020 8:44 AM

This is quite scary. People like the man from Melbourne who tried to leave China and Wuhan before the lockdown could have infected hundreds of people on his way to Australia. There're probably thousand others like this who have infected hundreds of people around the globe not even knowing yet they were infected.

What would be the consequences if the WHO bans international travel and especially air travel? This would be a first in history I guess with severe economic consequences.

by Anonymousreply 498January 26, 2020 9:27 AM

To everyone who has to go to an Office Of Death tomorrow... I condole you.

by Anonymousreply 499January 26, 2020 9:39 AM

I know a few people at work and some friends have been on vacation in Thailand in January. I was on vacation in Thailand in January last year and it was FULL of Chinese tourists. Also lots of flights have a stop over in China (Guangzhou or other big transit airports) and there were approximately 60-70% Chinese passengers on our flight to the UK last year. Even more on the first flight to China. You think this is happening far away and doesn't affect you, but my colleagues at work and recent Thailand travellers could all be infected already without even knowing yet. Scary.

by Anonymousreply 500January 26, 2020 10:10 AM

[quote] The scary thing is air travel because they recirculate so much of the air.

That’s actually a myth. It’s not recirculated.

by Anonymousreply 501January 26, 2020 11:12 AM

Within the next two weeks just how serious this is. Either something that makes a lot of people mildly ill for the majority and serious for a few (old and already ill) or something that makes a lot of people really ill and has a death rate of 1, 2% or even higher percentage rate of deaths - if its the second that is the time to panic.

by Anonymousreply 502January 26, 2020 11:13 AM

[quote]and has a death rate of 1, 2%

That doesn't seem like too much. Highly unlikely (and unlucky) if any of us (aka the DL) or anyone we know will get it.

by Anonymousreply 503January 26, 2020 12:26 PM

Me put pee pee in your Cokes

by Anonymousreply 504January 26, 2020 12:30 PM

Girl you need a biohazard suit r500

by Anonymousreply 505January 26, 2020 12:31 PM

There is a case in Toronto. Categorized as presumed - one lab has confirmed it, a second lab is running tests to doubler confirm. But credit to the sick guy - he was only experiencing mild symptoms but self reported anyway.

"Still, officials said they were taking all precautions to keep people safe, interviewing all those who were in contact with the man between Wednesday, when he landed in Toronto, and Thursday, when he went to hospital.

“The risk to Ontarians is still low and things are managed and well-controlled,” Williams said. “As I hoped, the system is operating as it should.”

Williams said provincial authorities are also working with their federal counterparts to contact people who sat within a few rows of the man on the plane he took to Toronto, but he noted that even those people shouldn’t worry too much.

“You have to be more than just casually walking by someone,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 506January 26, 2020 12:41 PM

The scariest thing to me about Contagion was the fact we apparently touch our faces 2000 - 3000 times a day... they eyes, nose and mouth being the principal transmission routes for respiratory viruses. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 507January 26, 2020 12:44 PM

[quote]4 people in Michigan have it. EEEEK

Four people are being tested, there hasn't been confirmation yet.

There have been people around the world who were suspected of having it, but testing proved otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 508January 26, 2020 12:47 PM

They live in Michigan, haven't they suffered enough?

by Anonymousreply 509January 26, 2020 1:00 PM

London-based infectious disease modeller/epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who authored the report estimating a 2.6 reproduction factor for the virus:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510January 26, 2020 1:02 PM

No cases in NY yet which is surprising.

by Anonymousreply 511January 26, 2020 1:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512January 26, 2020 1:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513January 26, 2020 1:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514January 26, 2020 1:13 PM

I wonder what the financial impact in the Chinatown district in various cities has been. I should think the long term impact In Manhattan’s Chinatown would be considerable and even worse than after 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 515January 26, 2020 1:21 PM

Hopefully it will no longer be affected by December 25th.

by Anonymousreply 516January 26, 2020 1:26 PM

I dunno R511 if the incubation period is 14 days no cases yet just mean no symptomatic cases yet. It’s a shame there isn’t a quick test, but if I were queen I’d be taking blood samples from everyone flying in from China for testing.

by Anonymousreply 517January 26, 2020 1:39 PM

Wow, these 2 are bold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518January 26, 2020 1:43 PM

Wow, these 2 are bold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519January 26, 2020 1:44 PM

Polio can live on a doorknob for a week.

Of course the gays love Oral Polio

by Anonymousreply 520January 26, 2020 2:02 PM

I believe the virus isn't fire resistant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521January 26, 2020 2:24 PM

There’s a case in California now per CNN. That was quick. But considering the amount of Asians not surprising. Las Vegas any day now.

by Anonymousreply 522January 26, 2020 2:25 PM

Can I get a direct flight to Wuhan please?

by Anonymousreply 523January 26, 2020 2:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524January 26, 2020 2:37 PM

As you read about coronavirus, remember the Trump administration shut down the entire NSC Directorate on Global Health Security. And it cut funding to deal with pandemic diseases.

by Anonymousreply 525January 26, 2020 2:38 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526January 26, 2020 2:40 PM

South China Morning Post:

China’s National Health Commission (NHC) said on Sunday that the new coronavirus is contagious even in its incubation period, which lasts up to 14 days, and that the virus’ ability to spread is getting stronger.

Ma Xiaowei, the minister in charge of the NHC, told a press briefing that the authorities’ understanding of the virus was “limited” and they were also unclear on the risks posed by possible mutations.

by Anonymousreply 527January 26, 2020 2:50 PM

Ok, this guy is a Republican with an axe to grind. He was an FBI agent with sources abroad during the Obama administration so you can take what he says with a heavy grain of salt. He says due to his former work he knows people inside China who say it’s much worse than reported.

The reason I’m posting this is because he does say a few things that are verified elsewhere, or make sense in context. One thing he says is that the deaths are caused by organ failure. This actually makes sense, in the context that during the Spanish Flu in 1918, people also dropped dead suddenly in the streets without warning. This was after the mutation of the virus from the year before. There are some claims online that the virus has mutated and the new version is worse. Same as in 1918.

From Healthline: “Flu can directly lead to death when the virus triggers severe inflammation in the lungs. When this happens, it can cause rapid respiratory failure because your lungs can’t transport enough oxygen into the rest of your body.

“The flu can also cause your brain, heart, or muscles to become inflamed. This can lead to sepsis, an emergency condition that can be fatal if not immediately treated.“

From sciencedaily.com: February 27, 2014

“Source:

“The Scripps Research Institute

“Summary:

“Scientists have mapped key elements of a severe immune overreaction -— a “cytokine storm” -— that can both sicken and kill patients who are infected with certain strains of flu virus. A cytokine storm is an overproduction of immune cells and their activating compounds (cytokines), which, in a flu infection, is often associated with a surge of activated immune cells into the lungs. The resulting lung inflammation and fluid buildup can lead to respiratory distress and can be contaminated by a secondary bacterial pneumonia -- often enhancing the mortality in patients.“

“Cytokine storm” is a well-known medical term about the worst flus -bird flu, swine flu, Spanish flu. This is how people die. It affects the young and healthy even worse than the old, because their immune system is healthier. Their immune system kills them faster because it’s stronger. You drown in your own fluids, sent to wash away the flu virus. Basically, you can’t breathe so your heart stops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528January 26, 2020 3:04 PM

112,000 dead?! I thought it was 56.

by Anonymousreply 529January 26, 2020 3:08 PM

Here’s the Heathline link.

Continued from R528. Another thing that guy said is that Wuhan is out of test strips which means they can’t add to the number of people known to have flu for sure. They’re just guessing at this point. Makes sense since they’re not being restocked.

Also he shows some pics of empty shelves at a market. It’s not a new or unused market as has been claimed, the far end of the picture shows bags of candy or spices stocked on the wall. The produce tables are empty. There’s also some green display material on the tables that looks used.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530January 26, 2020 3:08 PM

[quote]He says due to his former work he knows people inside China who say it’s much worse than reported.

I think the entire world knows that things are worse than China is fessing up to -- that's China's M.O. about anything that could reflect badly on the country and its leadership.

by Anonymousreply 531January 26, 2020 3:11 PM

THIRD US case of coronavirus is confirmed in California after Chicago and Washington while Canada confirms its first case as - and the US warns it CAN'T evacuate all Americans from coronavirus epicenter in Wuhan.

death toll is 56.

by Anonymousreply 532January 26, 2020 3:11 PM

The US consulate is reaching out to all Americans registered as living in Wuhan - considered to be the epicenter of the deadly outbreak - to offer them a seat on a charter flight scheduled for Tuesday.

A source familiar with the chartered evacuation flight told CNN that roughly 1,000 Americans live in Wuhan, and those who choose to leave will be forced to pay for their spot on the Boeing 767 jet, which carries around 230 people.

The State Department released a statement late on Saturday which read: 'The Department of State is making arrangements to relocate its personnel stationed at the US Consulate General in Wuhan to the United States.

'We anticipate that there will be limited capacity to transport private US citizens on a reimbursable basis on a single flight leaving Wuhan Tianhe International Airport on January 28, 2020 and proceeding directly to San Francisco.'

Since space is limited, the government says that 'priority will be given to individuals at greater risk from coronavirus.'

by Anonymousreply 533January 26, 2020 3:12 PM

The US plane from Wuhan is going to SAN FRANCISCO!!!

you in danger San Fran!!!

by Anonymousreply 534January 26, 2020 3:13 PM

Here’s a link to the “cytokines storm” article. Read it, it describes the difference between regular flus and very dangerous flus with high mortality rates.

About the post at R528, he also states that the roads are blocked, which many have described, and that they are incinerating the bodies for safety reasons. He says the numbers being reported in his post are based on raw numbers from incinerator operators, since there are no better numbers available. Also makes sense. That would include anybody being incinerated and that may well be everyone that dies, flu or not. They can’t do much else. Nobody wants to risk handling bodies that may be infected but died of something else.

So you can take his figures with a big grain of salt. But it’s possible he may actually have some contacts on the ground, so I posted it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535January 26, 2020 3:17 PM

R500 There are Chinese tourists EVERYWHERE and have been for years now.

by Anonymousreply 536January 26, 2020 3:20 PM

One-stop shopping for all your apocalypse needs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537January 26, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote]Ok, this guy is a Republican with an axe to grind. He was an FBI agent with sources abroad during the Obama administration so you can take what he says with a heavy grain of salt.

You can also safely ignore everything he says, r528, since he's a total nutcase who traffics in ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538January 26, 2020 3:29 PM

i posted upthread a few days ago about a Canadian emergency procedure for calling in retired or unemployed medical personnel to work in case of a severe epidemic.

One of the two doctors that was confirmed dead in Wuhan was described as a retired doctor brought in to work as emergency personnel in Wuhan. It’s likely they have a similar procedure to Canada. I know when the Canadian nurse posted it, other nurses in the U.S. said they thought it would be similar here. It’s probably based on some international emergency epidemic plan drawn up by WHO. One of the two doctors that died was described as dying from a heart attack. That could be because he was elderly.

But one of the links I posted states that if you already have congestive heart failure or COPD, the worst flus can cause your heart to fail. So it could be he was infected but died of heart failure, and they’re trying to minimize it. Or he could have died of exhaustion.

by Anonymousreply 539January 26, 2020 3:32 PM

What can you expect from a country that eats bats?

by Anonymousreply 540January 26, 2020 3:35 PM

I've seen pictures from that "sea food market" and that place is fucking disgusting. The poor animals they have there in cages is heartbreaking. Seems like they eat everything there from baby deers, skunks, bats, insects, snakes and probably also a bunch of "pets". Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 541January 26, 2020 3:40 PM

We're citing Hal Turner now? This thread is a dumpster fire.

by Anonymousreply 542January 26, 2020 3:51 PM

Youtube videos are the equivalent of flaunting your degree from Google University of Search. Stop it. They aren't reliable sources of news.

by Anonymousreply 543January 26, 2020 3:54 PM

R538, just because he’s nuts doesn’t mean he doesn’t have some contacts. I used to visit a prepper website. A lot of them are conspiracy theorists like that guy, and very right wing. That’s why they’re on prepper websites.

But a lot of them are active military, reserves or former military or law enforcement, and they actually do have access to people in active military or law enforcement, their equally right wing buddies still in government. There are a lot of government plans and training for epidemics and other emergencies. A lot of them address very extreme scenarios, as you would imagine. The problem is knowing when to pull the trigger, which is guesswork.

When the bird flu scare happened, I worked for a food manufacturing company. Someone in management told me that supermarkets had emergency plans for such scenarios, handed down by the government, using CDC information. At times of possible emergency or epidemic, supermarkets were supposed to follow a handout of recommendations.

The government suggested they order and display foods that could be stored without refrigeration at such times, and put them on sale, like canned tuna and peanut butter, crackers, meal in a can type foods, etc. The foods were to be advertised as “specials” in their weekly flyers, to encourage people to buy them. It was all done very low key to avoid panic. Displays that said stuff like “stock up on pantry staples.”

About that time, I got curious and went to my local supermarkets to check. Sure enough, local Smiths food markets had large displays of what I have since learned is “prepper food,” peanut butter, tuna, crackers, jam, canned chicken, and canned soup. Ever since that time, Smiths has had periodic sales like this, a few times a year. I think grocery store managers were sent out flyers and some of them made the decision to encourage people to stock up. People in the food business are more aware of potential issues in the supply chain than others. Food markets carry a stock of three days’ food. That’s why they’re cleaned out in every snowstorm. Three days isn’t much.

I also noticed particular stores seem to be run by preppers. A local Costco has a lot of prepared prepper foods, while another doesn’t carry as much of that kind of product. Some of the ordering is up to the discretion of the store manager. I became a lot more aware of which local store managers were trying to promote food storage, as opposed to impulse buys, by looking at stock.

When I worked at the food company, salesmen would visit our customers’ stores and look at shelves as part of their jobs, to se if our product was correctly displayed. I learned you can learn a lot by looking at the shelves. What is missing (unpaid bills to that supplier), what is short or over stocked (excess bottled water in case of local emergencies), what is promoted (soup and flu meds in flu season). I’m going to look at some stores today, out of curiosity. Look at promoted items if you go to the store. My guess is store managers are being told to stock up right now.

by Anonymousreply 544January 26, 2020 3:54 PM

Another clue about what store managers are being told is look at the displays as you walk into the store, in places like Costco and supermarkets. If it’s all batteries, canned tuna and flashlights, you know what they were told. Especially if your local store usually has big displays of cookies and cupcakes right as you walk in. Costco is very sensitive to that. Just walking in the door to Costco can be pretty informational.

All supermarkets have yearly promotions they do according to annual contracts. For example, canned soup companies do their promotions in flu season, popsicle companies might do them in July, etc. it’s worth it to be aware what the norm is, so you can tell if something is unusual. A lot of “prepping” is just situational awareness.

by Anonymousreply 545January 26, 2020 4:10 PM

I love the cunty frau health official in Contagion that is Kate Winslet's nemesis. Total DLer

by Anonymousreply 546January 26, 2020 4:12 PM

Reuters - China has banned wildlife trade nationwide in markets, supermarkets, restaurants, and e-commerce platforms due to the coronavirus outbreak, the country’s market watchdog, agricultural ministry, and forestry bureau said in a joint statement.

Any places that breed wildlife should be isolated, and the transportation of wildlife should be banned, said the statement.

The ban will take effect from Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 547January 26, 2020 4:13 PM

The goose flies at night!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548January 26, 2020 4:15 PM

DL, I live in San Francisco & everyone here is Chinese! What should I do? Right now I feel the best way to handle this is to give everyone that is Chinese (or is Asian for that matter) a death stare letting them know that I do not appreciate their love of exotic cuisine and the inconveniences this has caused the rest of the world. I'll update as I continue to try to save the world.

by Anonymousreply 549January 26, 2020 4:16 PM

That’s going to lead to serious food shortages, because that’s what a lot of people eat.

The result of that will be the Chinese ordering a large amount of processed canned food and staples from the U.S.

Watch for prices going up here, and big international companies like Walmart being short of some items on the shelves. If they don’t order more food from the U.S., they’ll have a food crisis which will lead to unrest. They have a billion to feed. The food industry is going to be strained for a while.

by Anonymousreply 550January 26, 2020 4:17 PM

Speaking of Contagion, why didn't Jennifer Ehle become a bigger star? She's amazing in this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551January 26, 2020 4:18 PM

R549, can I have all your stuff when you die?

by Anonymousreply 552January 26, 2020 4:21 PM

Could we (the US) airdrop a ton of supplies into Wuhan for those on the front line and patients? They need suits, testing strips, food rations, and at the very least fever reducers. Didn't we do something like this with the ebola virus. They need to have all the supplies they can get and isn't that something we can help with.

by Anonymousreply 553January 26, 2020 4:21 PM

R553, China's govt can airdrop the supplies themselves.

They probably make all the world's supply of masks etc...They can ramp up production and supply themselves.

Also I read that they are building 2 hospitals in 1 week. not just 1 hospital.

This thing is really bad!

by Anonymousreply 554January 26, 2020 4:24 PM

R551, I LOVED her in that movie. She was great. She played her doctor role non-aspie with compassion. Great choice.

by Anonymousreply 555January 26, 2020 4:27 PM

Without naming names, if there was ever a time for "global humanitarians who want to create change and help those suffering", this is it.

by Anonymousreply 556January 26, 2020 4:27 PM

Took me a minute, R556... I thought you were sending the bat to be signed.

by Anonymousreply 557January 26, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote]I live in San Francisco & everyone here is Chinese! What should I do? Right now I feel the best way to handle this is to give everyone that is Chinese (or is Asian for that matter) a death stare letting them know that I do not appreciate their love of exotic cuisine and the inconveniences this has caused the rest of the world.

Now you know how I felt living in San Francisco in 1982

by Anonymousreply 558January 26, 2020 4:30 PM

Sure, R533. Not like we have hungry people without medical assistance here in the US.

by Anonymousreply 559January 26, 2020 4:30 PM

Sorry, R553

by Anonymousreply 560January 26, 2020 4:32 PM

It's weird, no one I know is really concerned about this or even talking about this. They think I'm overreacting thinking it's going to worse.

by Anonymousreply 561January 26, 2020 4:38 PM

The point of reading stuff like the crazy guy at R528 isn’t to believe everything he says at face value. You have to filter it of course. But a lot of the news media isn’t able to report some things they’re hearing because there’s no way to verify it. So guys like this, who will run with unverified stories, can tell you things others might hesitate to report because they can’t confirm it.

Here’s what you can learn from his story that has been verified elsewhere:

They’re out of testing strips, making it impossible to know the true number of infected.

Stores are out of foodstuffs. A picture of empty store shelves making the rounds on the internet has been dismissed as a “new, never used” store. In his pictures, obviously in-use stores have empty shelves of fresh products, while less desired items are still there. Typical when people are stocking up. They go for fresh items first, and Chinese do a lot of from-scratch cooking. More than Americans, so of course they’re buying produce first. Read elsewhere that produce is being sold at high prices, which is inevitable. So he’s confirming stories posted elsewhere, with more realistic pictures.

People are collapsing in the streets. Posted elsewhere.

Incinerator story - haven’t seen that elsewhere, but seems inevitable. They probably have a protocol in place to get rid of bodies in an epidemic that they’ve known about for years.

Agencies like the CIA look at stories like this and filter them, because there’s no news agencies inside. You verify by looking at multiple stories that are the same. Obviously it’s not as good as reputable reporting, but there is none.

Stuff he got wrong: Picture of a doctor on the floor and he says he’s “dead.” I’ve seen the video and he’s not dead, just collapsed. But two doctors are confirmed dead. He’s conflating the two. Conflating “bodies incinerated” with “people that died only of the flu.” Obviously two different figures as they’re probably incinerating every body without checking. So the real number is lower.

Obviously he is getting raw data but isn’t knowledgeable enough to interpret it correctly, or is being sensationalistic for his viewers. But the raw data looks good. Just ignore the crazy guy delivering it.

by Anonymousreply 562January 26, 2020 4:38 PM

Read your reply, R562 and look at the number of qualifiers you had to use to make the raw data look good.

by Anonymousreply 563January 26, 2020 4:40 PM

Oh man, you totally made me feel bad, R558. It was stupid joke and I didn't even think about that. I really wasn't giving anyone death stares, but I could see how that would/could happen in a time of disease and uncertainty. Ok, back to fighting this plague the right way - with togetherness or isolation as the case may be.

by Anonymousreply 564January 26, 2020 4:41 PM

R553, China manufactures dry goods, so they’re covered there. It’s food they would need from outside. They’ve just eliminated a large chunk of what they normally use for food by eliminating all the animals they suspect may carry the virus.

They have existing contracts with American food companies and will have to ramp up their orders a lot. Which means some of the supplies will be taken from existing American stock.

by Anonymousreply 565January 26, 2020 4:44 PM

I guess I don't understand why they are running out of the medical essentials if they have them or manufacture them? They manufacturers can't keep up with the demand?

by Anonymousreply 566January 26, 2020 4:47 PM

This virus thing is really freaking me out. I live in a city with strong ties to China and it's only a matter of time before we get cases here. My main worries are that the virus will mutate like in World War Z, and will turn people into zombies. Can any scientists out there confirm if this should be a big concern?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567January 26, 2020 4:51 PM

The demand is just to big...too many people sick! They have used up all they have in stock (in that city) The military will have to delivery more (i'm guessing)

by Anonymousreply 568January 26, 2020 4:51 PM

Why don't they just go on Amazon? They're really fast!

by Anonymousreply 569January 26, 2020 4:53 PM

I just got back from the Bay Area myself. It might as well be Asia.

by Anonymousreply 570January 26, 2020 4:54 PM

That interesting R544. I believe Smiths is or was owned by Mormons. My raised-Mormon SIL told me that they are required to have some insane amount of food stockpiled (one year, two years?) as a religious requirement so I could certainly see that supermarket catering to preppers.

I am still trying to wrap my mind around the possible infectiousness numbers and the likely death rate. If it is worst case scenario based upon the current estimated numbers (90% of the population eventually infected, 3 dead per one hundred infected, the percentage of the population dead will be only slightly lower than from the 1918 flu.

by Anonymousreply 571January 26, 2020 4:54 PM

Marijuana cures influenza. It cures everything and should be legal

by Anonymousreply 572January 26, 2020 5:17 PM

Dogs are vaccinated against a coronavirus. Maybe we be too.

by Anonymousreply 573January 26, 2020 5:29 PM

R553, it’s because of “just-in-time” manufacturing procedures.

Back in the WWII era, American manufacturers kept a stock of about 30 days of food and grocery products in warehouses around the country. A lot of it was kept at regional “hubs,” that were in commercial/industrial warehouse districts. Trucks would pick up these products from the warehouse district and deliver them to stores as ordered. That was before computers, so store owners had a rough idea of how much to order by the month, depending on whether it was a seasonal product, like cans of chicken soup. Store owners would go by how much they sold last year. Month to month. So, January = order extra flu medicine. April = order more bathing suits.

Then came computers and computer scanners. If you go to the store and buy a bottle of aspirin, you scan it with a scanner, right? Why? Not just to pay, but also to notify the just-in-time computer program that one bottle of aspirin has left the inventory. If that store normally carries a stock of twenty bottles of aspirin, the just-in-time system notes that ONE bottle of aspirin has to be bought to replace the one bottle you bought. Got me so far?

The system notes each bottle that is bought every day. Buy one, replace one. Buy one, replace one. The just-in-time system determines how many Safeway is going to order. It tells Bayer how many to manufacture. Exactly as many as are sold. The manufactured bottles are replacements. There are no extras, other than a relatively small number to account for waste and annual promotions, anywhere. Not at Bayer, and not at Safeway. They order and manufacture the exact number needed. No more.

In case of epidemic, there are no extra. If last January, hospitals ordered 50,000 test strips, for example, and used 50,000, the just-in-time system re-ordered 50,000 test strips. That’s it. But last year there was no epidemic, so last year 50,000 was plenty. So this year they have 50,000, but might need five million. See the problem? There’s going to be a backlog until the five million are manufactured.

Meanwhile, people will die and no one will know why for sure, although they can make a good guess. But they can’t prove it. So China will leave those patients out of their official figures because they can’t verify them. We’ll never know. Could also be why they’re incinerating instead of burying them in mass graves with bulldozers. No body, no evidence.

by Anonymousreply 574January 26, 2020 6:05 PM

FYI, in America today, because of the just-in-time system, there are three days of food in any given store on any day. Maybe a couple weeks or less in the warehouse. Manufacturing excess product has been cut way down, with much less waste, and higher profits over the decades, due to just-in-time. Isn’t that great?

The same in China. So that’s why they’re having food shortages so quickly.

Here, when we have snowstorms or hurricanes, the shelves are quickly emptied. Why? Just-in-time. So you can count on three days supplies in the store, UNLESS there a panic and people stock up. Or unless shipments from China are quarantined, in which case the shelves are going to empty very quickly of Chinese goods. Walmart is going to have a problem if they can’t receive shipments, which come on gigantic Chinese freighters to American docks.

If you are the cautious type, now’s a good time to get essential nonperishables like pet food and toilet paper. And if it turns out you don’t feel like visiting the store later, maybe some other stuff like bottled water and some nonperishable food. Here’s some stuff I’ve seen suggested in the past: bottled water, painkillers like aspirin, OTC flu meds, cough drops, shelf stable fruit juice in a bottle, shelf stable soy or almond milk, crackers, tuna, peanut butter, canned soup, canned products you can put together to make meals like canned no-salt beans or vegetables, dry beans and rice, paper towels. Soap, detergent, shampoo, bleach wipes, dishwashing liquid, garbage bags. Lots of pet food, it’s easy to store. Just basically stuff you should have around anyway, but particularly things you can keep that never go bad. Eggs, apples, oatmeal or cereal also last a while. And buy a few bags of frozen vegetables or fruit. They’re always handy to have around.

Also, check your first aid kit at home, because you may not want to go to the quick care or doctor’s office if you can stay home. Check expiration dates on aspirin and Neosporin. Even bandaids can go bad if they’re not stored properly. The adhesive dries out. Buy flu and cough meds if you don’t have some from last year. And Imodium, always good to have around.

by Anonymousreply 575January 26, 2020 6:06 PM

We are all going to die. I hope we all leave good looking corpses.

by Anonymousreply 576January 26, 2020 6:08 PM

Ummm don’t you think if your average Joe supermarket manager was told to stock up on specific items this would be news?

by Anonymousreply 577January 26, 2020 6:10 PM

China fucked up and didn't take the initial outbreak seriously and now they're trying to suppress/cover up the true scope of the pandemic as they scramble to contain it (but at this point it's too late for that; at best they can only slow it down). My heart goes out to the terrified victims in Wuhan. They weren't warned by the government in time to protect themselves and now they've been walled into the city and are being treated like internment camp prisoners rather than citizens. I hope international outcry puts pressure on China to bring more supplies, medical personnel, food and water to Wuhan. It has the resources but needs to be called out and pressured/shamed into actually doing the right thing.

As for the rest of us, I don't know. I don't have much faith that the Trump administration will protect American citizens in the event of a massive outbreak. Potentially we could even end up like the poor souls in Wuhan.

We are also in the midst of climate breakdown. So many things are perilous right now.

by Anonymousreply 578January 26, 2020 6:11 PM

R571, that makes sense. I read up on prepper sites about Mormons, they require two years good storage. Theirs is mostly staples like beans, rice, honey, flour, oatmeal, flour, oil and other staples, as well as some dried or canned goods. If you do a lot of storage of whole grains and beans, you can store months of food in a small space. But you have to know how it store it properly or you risk it being infested by weevils or spoiled.

Basically, any grains or beans have bug eggs in them. If you store them for months as they come packaged from the store, you risk a weevil infestation that will make a mess in your pantry. The solution is to buy dry grains including oatmeal and rice, and freeze them in the freezer in zip lock bags. I double bag mine and freeze for two weeks, that will kill anything in there. Then they’re good to take out and store in glass jars or food grade (clear, not colored) five gallon pails for a couple of years. Winco sells them.

As long as you keep the house temperature consistently below 79 degrees, you’re good. Never store food in the garage. Cans can fail under freezing temperatures, and above 80, the expiration date on the can or package can be shortened considerably. Same with first aid supply storage. Never over 80 degrees.

Generally speaking, canned meat is one of the longest lived canned foods you can buy. The expiry date is years longer than other food. So there’s less waste as long as you use it.

by Anonymousreply 579January 26, 2020 6:17 PM

R577, I worked in the food manufacturing industry and it absolutely would not be news. Food manufacturers and suppliers are told to be discreet.

Until I worked there, I had no idea that government reps went around to execs at food store corporations and manufacturers, at the top level, and made their wishes known, which filtered down to managers by memos or handouts of various kinds. No idea. This has gone on for years.

by Anonymousreply 580January 26, 2020 6:26 PM

Chinese Lunar New Year parade in Paris canceled over coronavirus fears

The decision came after three cases were confirmed in France of the deadly illness that originated in Wuhan, China.

by Anonymousreply 581January 26, 2020 6:29 PM

R578, they’ve blocked in the roads out of Wuhan, cancelled all flights except some charters arranged by other countries to evacuate their nationals. I did see a video of trucks that were alleged to be carrying building materials to build the new hospitals. Not food.

They’ve walled them in and this is a siege. My guess is the government is panicking and not thinking straight, but that’s bad in itself.

by Anonymousreply 582January 26, 2020 6:32 PM

Travel ban is the only way, close down all the flights from China

by Anonymousreply 583January 26, 2020 6:38 PM

Someone is giving a VERY simplistic overview of JIT manufacturing processes. Production can easily be ramped up in times if need and increasingly uses AI in order to do just that. Actual sales is one of many inputs, especially for critical goods.

Don’t believe the hype.

by Anonymousreply 584January 26, 2020 6:44 PM

Of course it can be ramped up. I’m sorry if you didn’t understand it was implied.

The fact remains if you don’t have extra inventory, you have to manufacture it. If that wasn’t true,why are they out of test strips?

by Anonymousreply 585January 26, 2020 6:49 PM

what are test strips? Aren't those for diabetes?

by Anonymousreply 586January 26, 2020 6:52 PM

In this case, they are test strips testing if someone has the Wuhan virus. One test, and then throw away. They’re out of test strips. So there’s no official way to verify if a patient has this virus or something else. They have to guess. This is how they keep the records of how many people have it, and how many new cases there are.

by Anonymousreply 587January 26, 2020 7:05 PM

What about that retinal check thingie? Like they used in the evacuation sequence for I Am Legend?

by Anonymousreply 588January 26, 2020 7:16 PM

LDS short-term food storage is a 3-12 month supply of regular food with an appropriate shelf-life like peanut butter, pasta sauce in jars, canned tuna, etc. The official line is three months but there's a lot of competitiveness over who has the biggest and best short-term storage. Over Christmas my sisters were expressing a lot of catty faux concern for a friend who was moving to a smaller house and, "Gosh, WHAT is she going to do? She'll probably have to hide it under her kids' beds, poor thing."

There's also a separate long-term storage which involves dry food in giant cans; things like wheat berries, pasta, beans, and freeze-dried vegetables. It's very limited because a lot of grains contain too much moisture or oil for long-term storage.

by Anonymousreply 589January 26, 2020 7:47 PM

This reminds me of the game Plague Inc.

by Anonymousreply 590January 26, 2020 7:50 PM

r588 I hate to break it to you, but TV and movies aren’t always accurate portrayals of the real world.

by Anonymousreply 591January 26, 2020 7:56 PM

The Yellow Menace is now in Los Angeles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592January 26, 2020 7:58 PM

R591, gosh, really? Wow. I didn’t know. Bummer.

by Anonymousreply 593January 26, 2020 8:01 PM

Come to think of it, I had my doubts about the Wild Women of Chastity Gulch.

by Anonymousreply 594January 26, 2020 8:03 PM

Jesus, the bullshit in this thread can be smelled a thousand miles away.

by Anonymousreply 595January 26, 2020 8:08 PM

One thing you can do that will help is get a pneumonia shot. They are good for five years. You have to be over 65, or have a condition like congestive heart failure, chronic bronchitis, an immune disorder, or be a primary caretaker for an older person like a parent. Probably somebody who works with children a lot, or hospital workers would fit in there too.

If you did get a virus (not just this one), it will stop you from having complications from the virus that turns into pneumonia later. Also get your regular flu shot this year too.

by Anonymousreply 596January 26, 2020 8:46 PM

R589, they really cut it down then. I know they’re emphasizing it a lot less, because I read that some housewives were buying the stuff and had no idea what to do with it. In the old days, their mothers would have taught them.

A few years back, the local Mormon church had a sort of fair where they taught people about prepping, so I went. One of the food storage brands is a Mormon company, Marie Osmond endorsed it at one time. I’ve heard it tasted awful and was very high in salt. Also, it doesn’t last as long as they say unless you store it at low temperatures year round, like in a basement.

by Anonymousreply 597January 26, 2020 8:51 PM

You can just buy those food NASA people eat in space, or the military...not sure how they taste though...

by Anonymousreply 598January 26, 2020 8:56 PM

Tang?

by Anonymousreply 599January 26, 2020 8:57 PM

I think R598 means MREs, or freeze dried food, like people buy to go camping. It’s usually really salty. You can buy regular dehydrated camping meals at camping stores or online, but it’s expensive.

I know people have told me there’s only one flavor MRE they like, the others aren’t as good. YMMV.

Sam’s club used to carry a lot of dehydrated food cans online. Check out the salt content. If you buy cans with one item in them, like strawberries, they’re pretty good. With their cans of stew, for example, or other prepared meals, the salt content is astronomical. You’d be better off eating Campbell’s. There’s a company called Bear Creek, I think, that sells dehydrated packets of soup at Big Lots sometimes. It’s good, but it is super salty.

by Anonymousreply 600January 26, 2020 9:06 PM

[quote] I think the entire world knows that things are worse than China is fessing up to -- that's China's M.O. about anything that could reflect badly on the country and its leadership.

Mandate of Heaven: Traditionally, great natural disasters in China mark the end of dynasties—signals regime change. So those in charge are afraid of publicizing any catastrophe.

by Anonymousreply 601January 27, 2020 3:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!