Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Census: People are Fleeing New York more than any State

NEW YORK CITY – People are fleeing New York much faster than any other state in the nation, figures released Monday by the U.S. Census Bureau show.

More than 76,000 people packed up and shipped out during 2019, heading to states like Florida, Georgia and Texas which were among the fastest growing areas.

After New York, the states that saw most people leaving were Illinois with 51,250 departees; West Virginia with 12,144; and Louisiana with 10,896.

Despite the amount of people leaving New York, the actual percentage decline was just 0.04% compared to 2018, with 19,453, 561 people still calling the state home, the Census Bureau found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237September 4, 2020 2:24 PM

NYC, especially, has just become too expensive. A playground for the rich is an oddly boring place, particularly if you're not mega-rich yourself

I"m stuck here for now but have no plans to stay after retirement.

by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2019 6:20 PM

pkkk

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2019 6:22 PM

NY state is an irrelevant statistic. People leaving the upstate shitholes is something completely different than people leaving NYC.

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2019 6:22 PM

They are fleeing New York City and its environs because it's become to expensive to live there.

They are fleeing the rest of New York state because it's become an economic wasteland.

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2019 6:26 PM

Getting ahead of the bail reform shitshow that’s about to descend upon us. Smart folks.

by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2019 6:31 PM

R6 And then they will move to a city/state and elect same loon like this who will pass same type of bail reform

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2019 6:41 PM

R5 and R6 - hope you get arrested for something you didn’t do and can’t make bail. Innocent until proven guilty - but the rich go free and the poor rot in jail. Fear will always win votes - kudos to pols who don’t let fear-mongering dictate policy.

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2019 6:46 PM

Amen

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2019 6:53 PM

OP is the same OP as the California population decreasing thread. This deplorable is VERY Concerned about blue state populations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2019 7:07 PM

WSJ: WASHINGTON—New state population totals released Monday offer fresh signs of how southern and western states will gain political power after the 2020 census.

The figures from the Census Bureau measure changes to state populations for the year ended July 1. Because they come less than a year before the next decennial census, they are a close approximation for which states will gain and lose congressional seats and electoral votes based on the 2020 count that gets fully under way this spring.

Based on Monday’s figures, Texas is poised to gain two congressional seats, and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Montana, North Carolina and Oregon are expected to gain one. Eight states are expected to lose one seat: California, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and West Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2019 7:11 PM

At 10.5 million people, North Carolina remains the 9th largest state. Since 2010, North Carolina has added more people than all but 3 states (adding 952,000 people since 2010).

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2019 7:17 PM

If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere....those who can't go back home to Dubuque

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2019 8:48 PM

I made it there and got out when the going got good.

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2019 10:08 PM

Too expensive

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2019 10:21 PM

It seems like the numbers should be larger, considering the state of the state.

by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2019 10:29 PM

This isn't new news though. One of my relatives lives in TriBeCa and was saying the owner of the building, who moved out of the country a year or two ago, came back to visit. He said it is not the same as when he left. Dirty, grimier.... just different. She said that there are 2 vagrant types who smoke pot and sell drugs in her vestibule. We are talking rents of 9000+/month in that building. Quality of life has gone done and expense have definitely gone up in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2019 10:43 PM

Then they realize the grass isn't always greener and come right back.

by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2019 10:48 PM

City life is expensive and exhausting

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2020 1:09 PM

Southerners (and Texans in particular) cheat on the census. You can tell because the voting totals don't track what the census says. The claim is that Texans just don't vote, but it is more likely that there just aren't as many Texans as they want us to believe.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2020 1:12 PM

R19, Dont say stupid stuff

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2020 1:27 PM

Actually, according to the media here, Illinois is now the leading state losing population. The latest round of tax increases is totally out of hand, including a 40% tax on parking now. I haven't gone downtown for anything for quite a while now, and going to the opera or symphony is now totally out of the question. Public transportation in my part of Chicago pretty much closes down around 10PM, and with the new hike in parking fees, I just can't afford it. As a retiree, I just don't know how much longer I can hold on here. We have yet another promised property tax increase coming up this year and this, along with already having the highest property tax, sales tax, and a plethora of new taxes dumped on us, I just have to get out of here. Vehicle registrations went up almost 50%, and amazingly, the registration on a trailer went from $18.00 to $118.00. When is this all going to stop? The biggest problem is the unfunded public sector pension fund as the unions generally have gotten whatever they wanted as long as they give the ruling party all of their campaign funds. Just recently, the new Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot, who was going to crack down on political favorites and corruption, completely caved into the Chicago Teachers Union during their recent strike. No money to pay for any of this, but who cares? Just raise the taxes again. Just take my pension, that I paid into for years, to pay for the pensions of those who never paid a dime into their pensions.

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2020 1:39 PM

The key to successful early retirement is to move to a low cost of living state near a big airport.

I did it and made retirement work for me at 53.

by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2020 1:45 PM

NYC is all hype. It’s nonsense. I visit friends there but even they are tired of NYC prices. It’s gotten insane. There is no reason a 250sq foot studio should cost almost $2000 a month, but it does. Looney White people have destroyed the city.

by Anonymousreply 23January 2, 2020 1:47 PM

R9 proves this is just another deplorable thread.

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2020 1:47 PM

R16 PLEASE. Tribeca is no more grimy than it was 2 years ago. Stop the bullshit.

PS to you white dumbasses, after gentrification comes the DOWNFALL. Things get worse than they originally were after getting “better”. Raising prices to extreme numbers pushes many on to the streets, and you think they’re gonna sit and be good little boys? No stupid. They’re gonna do whatever they need to to survive. Welcome to NYC Dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2020 1:49 PM

"Raising prices to extreme numbers pushes many on to the streets"

Yes, R25, all those whites in Tribeca who were paying $7000 a month will now be on the streets when they can't pay $9000 a month.

Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2020 1:51 PM

Oh rats.

by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2020 1:56 PM

R20 is the deplorable. The Census doesn't count anything anymore. They ask U-Haul to tell them where people are moving. Or they rely on the post office, which is under continual political pressure.

by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2020 1:57 PM

R26 are you stupid? The prices raised throughout all 5 boroughs has pushed many people onto the streets, mostly blacks and Hispanics. They’re gonna do what needs to be done to survive. As a white trash person who has had everything in life handed to him, I don’t expect you to get it, but you should try.

Criminals travel.

by Anonymousreply 29January 2, 2020 2:12 PM

[quote] hope you get arrested for something you didn’t do and can’t make bail. Innocent until proven guilty - but the rich go free and the poor rot in jail. Fear will always win votes - kudos to pols who don’t let fear-mongering dictate policy.

Yeah it’s a real shame when a guy without a license mows down an immigrant mother of three and gets a no bail waiver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 2, 2020 2:14 PM

The reason NY State's numbers are going down is the Trump admin's crackdown on immigration. They tend to go to NY, CA and IL.

by Anonymousreply 31January 2, 2020 2:16 PM

R28 is a classic example of fake news. No, the Census Bureau does not rely on U-Haul; that is a separate independent report issued by AMERCO to drum up interest in their business. And no, the Post Office, which exists merely on the accurate delivery of mail, does not fudge facts about where Americans live. It would be detrimental to their business (funding based on service is how the post office works... or have you not noticed when they open or close a post office due to immigration?) and if they were caught in a lie, conservative scum (oh wait, that's redundant) would use it as evidence to sell the post office (once again, ignoring the Constitution... convenient for them; they love the Constitution when it provides them with the argument for whatever outrage they're engage in at the moment, and ignore it when they commit unconstitutional acts).

But the best part is when R28 suggests that the Census Bureau doesn't count anything anymore. Well, if that's the case, then Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Montana, North Carolina and Oregon won't mind it when California, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and West Virginia refuse to give up their Congressional seats. Right, R28?

by Anonymousreply 32January 2, 2020 2:21 PM

[quote] Then they realize the grass isn't always greener and come right back. —SpentAYearInATL

Awww, couldn't get anyone in Atlanta to be impressed with you? Poor baby, and I do mean poor.

by Anonymousreply 33January 2, 2020 2:43 PM

R32 doesn't know a thing about it.

Texas per the Census 2016: 26.6 million; Florida population 2016: 20.6 million. Texas +6 million Votes for president: Texas 8.6 million; Florida 9.1 million. Florida +0.5 million Michigan per the Census 2016: 9.9 million votes for president 4.5 million. If Texas had the same vote participation as Michigan, the vote total would have been 12.1 million. The numbers are too big, it just doesn't add up. Texas' population figure is exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 34January 2, 2020 2:43 PM

NY state has had a whopping 0.8% population increase from 2010-2019. All the NE states and most of the midwest states have seen very small increases (or decreases) in population in the same period. Other than the cost of living I have to think people are just tired of the long frigid winters and the outlandish power bills that come with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 2, 2020 2:50 PM

R34 has reading comprehension issues. Are you the same deplorable troll who has these issues on every thread? Anyone makes a point that blows your thesis out of the water, and you respond with verbal diarrhea.

Punctuation is your friend (to say nothing of parallel structure, facts, figures and logic). Do you have a point, or are you merely engaging in what my grandmother summarized as "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!"?

by Anonymousreply 36January 2, 2020 2:54 PM

People are escaping high taxes, high housing costs, and harsh weather

by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2020 2:56 PM

Doesn't that make sense since boomers are a large segment of the population? Those states are all places retirees move to other than Arizona over here in the West.

by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2020 3:05 PM

But young people are also moving out of CA and NY

by Anonymousreply 39January 2, 2020 3:08 PM

Good. The less people the better. Bye, Felicias.

by Anonymousreply 40January 2, 2020 3:11 PM

Isn't this because people are leaving NYS and not NYC. It's not surprising people are leaving NYS. Taxes are extremely high. There aren't that many jobs since IBM and others closed shop. The largest employer at one point became the prison system. Not sure if that still holds true. The population is older than NYC and the winters are cold and snowy. Also NYS is red while NYC is firmly blue and calls the shots for the rest of the state.

by Anonymousreply 41January 2, 2020 3:16 PM

Yeah - it’s a NYS not NYC issue

by Anonymousreply 42January 2, 2020 5:18 PM

R21: That's why we need to vote for the graduated income tax this November to raise revenue in non-regressive ways. The state's flat tax is what has screwed us. And just save the anti-union bullshit. It's been debunked a thousand times over.

by Anonymousreply 43January 2, 2020 5:24 PM

Anyone who thinks people are fleeing NYC (ie. five boroughs), doesn't live here.

As of 2017, the pop. is OVER 8M.

by Anonymousreply 44January 2, 2020 5:31 PM

But to hear the United States Census Bureau describe it, the city is actually shrinking.

Earlier projections had put New York City’s population at around 8.6 million people. Now, the Census Bureau says that figure is just under 8.4 million. As Bloomberg reported, it’s as if 277 people a day last year decided to leave New York City and not come back.

by Anonymousreply 45January 2, 2020 5:33 PM

BTW, Amazon just bought office space in Hudson Yards. You don't do that for a city where there's mass fleeing.

by Anonymousreply 46January 2, 2020 5:33 PM

People don’t start disbelieving the US Census and official statistics

by Anonymousreply 47January 2, 2020 5:34 PM

R45, in other words, the city of 8M remains at 8M.

Doomsday people have an agenda when it comes to NYC - and none of it out of love for NY.

by Anonymousreply 48January 2, 2020 5:34 PM

R48: Rightwingers are such snowflakes, they have to spin anything as bad for blue states to boast their self-esteem concerning the vulgar hovel states they live in.

by Anonymousreply 49January 2, 2020 5:36 PM

NYC is overpopulated. It NEEDS to shrink.

by Anonymousreply 50January 2, 2020 5:37 PM

Bloomberg disagrees

by Anonymousreply 51January 2, 2020 5:39 PM

It certainly is not a New York state issue over a NYC issue. More people are leaving New York City than any other city in the nation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 2, 2020 5:40 PM

I agree, R49. I roll my eyes when I see this nonsense because I swear there isn't a day that goes by where I don't get realtors looking to sell my home with insane offers. People desperately looking to move here and there's buildings going up everywhere.

You think they just built a giant Wegman's in Brooklyn because people are fleeing?

The location is ideal for business. Ports, Int'l travel, etc.

Newmax as a source, renders your source bullshit for the reason R49 mentions.

by Anonymousreply 53January 2, 2020 5:41 PM

R52=Facts

by Anonymousreply 54January 2, 2020 5:43 PM

NYC is an awful city.

by Anonymousreply 55January 2, 2020 5:43 PM

If you're not from NYC, I'd like to know why you're obsessed with this? The person @R55 isn't from NYC and has numerous posts in this thread.

If you don't like NYC, so be it. Live your life wherever you are. You don't see me giving a shit about the foreclosure signs in front of McMansions in flyover.

by Anonymousreply 56January 2, 2020 5:47 PM

Well we're sure glad you don't fucking live here, R55.

by Anonymousreply 57January 2, 2020 5:47 PM

I should add, just because more people are leaving NYC than any other city does not mean that plenty people are not still moving in. In fact more may be moving in than are moving out. But people are still moving out at a higher rate than any other city.

by Anonymousreply 58January 2, 2020 5:50 PM

I second that, R57.

Fuck off, CUNT R55.

by Anonymousreply 59January 2, 2020 5:50 PM

I bet you bitter fucks like R55 are ex-outer borough white racists who moved to eastern North Carolina cause they could get a McMansion made of balsa wood for $24.99. Now, they can't get decent pizza and all the locals are religious fanatics. He hates his life but clings the the idea he made a good decision. Also, he hate-jacks off to pix of AOC.

by Anonymousreply 60January 2, 2020 5:50 PM

There is no way in hell people who see NYC as some sinking ship could possibly live here. No fucking way. They have no idea what we see in terms of businesses/housing being built.

It is faaaaaar from perfect here, but this ludicrous imagery they pathetically create of rolling tumbleweed down the streets coming soon, is simply laughable.

by Anonymousreply 61January 2, 2020 5:54 PM

With cities as expensive as NYC, LA or SF, it's the people who aren't successful who are moving out. If you aren't cream of the crop, you can't maintain a comfortable lifestyle in those places, whereas in Houston, Raleigh and Tampa, you can live a cushy lifestyle with a beautiful home.

Of course, the ones who couldn't make it in the A-list cities will badmouth them out of bitterness.

by Anonymousreply 62January 2, 2020 5:55 PM

I wish there were fewer people in NYC. Also, there are tourists here 12 months of the year now, not just Christmas and summer. Not only do too many people live here, too many people visit.

Of course, with everything NYC has to offer (good and bad), people who can't hack it or are in other ways intimidated by the idea of NYC trash it.

by Anonymousreply 63January 2, 2020 5:58 PM

Actually, I am in NYC dumbasses. And you aren’t NYers. You may live in NYC, but you aren’t real New Yorkers. No real NYer speaks of other places like “flyover”. That is the transplants pretending to be us.

by Anonymousreply 64January 2, 2020 6:11 PM

R64 told yall!

by Anonymousreply 65January 2, 2020 6:14 PM

Cunt R64, I've lived in NYC for 34 years--in Manhattan, bitch. Don't fucking tell me I'm not a New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 66January 2, 2020 6:15 PM

Current tax law means you can't deduct an awful lot of local taxes there.

by Anonymousreply 67January 2, 2020 6:17 PM

R66 good for you. But you are still a TRANSPLANT at the end of the day.

by Anonymousreply 68January 2, 2020 6:18 PM

Please, you tiresome cunt R68. You're no more a New Yorker than I am.

by Anonymousreply 69January 2, 2020 6:22 PM

The inability to deduct state and local taxes may be the biggest hit yet. I know a number of wealthy people who finally pulled up stakes and moved to FL. Which is fine - a little degentrification would be nice at this point.

by Anonymousreply 70January 2, 2020 6:24 PM

Hi OP! This is a great post and I’m really fascinated by the subject and I’m so glad that you decided to post about it! It’s always so great to talk about this. It’s such a good topic that I think it’s already been covered. If I’m correct, it’s been covered several times. As a matter of fact OP I’m pretty GODDAMN SURE IT’S BEEN COVERED SEVERAL FUCKING TIMES!!!

I’m sure you’re probably new here OP and that’s okay. You’re always welcome here and I’m so glad that you want to participate and bring up such interesting subjects. What most of the posters do is to do a search first before we make a new post that way we don’t HAVE A BUNCH OF GODDAMN MOTHER FUCKING COCK SUCKING DUPLICATE THREADS!!! It’s fucking rude as hell when people like you come on here without doing a search first and just post!! It’s selfish and self-centered for people to come on here and post without doing a fucking search first!! Who the hell do you think you are!!!

OP I really enjoy this post a lot too and I love that you brought the subject up. What’s really neat is when someone has the consideration to do a search and add their new comments to the previous thread and then we can see the evolvement of the subject over time. BUT YOU COULDN’T FUCKING BE BOTHERED TO DO THAT MOTHER FUCKER!! YOU ONLY CARED ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WANTS AND YOUR NEEDS!! YOU DIDN’T EVEN TAKE ONE MINUTE TO THINK ABOUT OTHERS!! I HATE YOU OP! I HATE YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMILY!! IF I EVERY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE, I WILL BURN YOUR GODDAMN HOUSE DOWN WITH YOU IN IT!!!

Do a search first mother fucker before you post! Is that going to kill you? Is it? Is it? I hate you.

by Anonymousreply 71January 2, 2020 6:30 PM

Thanks, [R9]. I was beginning to think all those drugs I didn't do in the 60s were coming back to haunt me... I don't know what this guy's obsession is, but he clearly only has access to one idea (and an incorrect one at that). Reading this (and the California) thread reminded me of that old experiment about prejudice where someone speaks to a group to present evidence that brown-eyed people are dumber than those with lighter eyes. The audience chimes in with anecdotes -mothers trashing their own children, etc.- and then the speaker says that the entire presentation was a hoax. No evidence at all to support a relationship between intelligence and eye color. A few in the audience are chagrinned, but the majority of speakers continue to share their stories of dumb people with brown eyes and smart people with blue eyes. Oprah did an episode on this, and callers kept calling in to say that the original presentation was correct, long after she explained (over and over again) that it wasn't true.

For the record: I live in California, and I love to visit New York City.

by Anonymousreply 72January 2, 2020 6:32 PM

[quote]Actually, I am in NYC dumbasses. And you aren’t NYers. You may live in NYC, but you aren’t real New Yorkers. No real NYer speaks of other places like “flyover”. That is the transplants pretending to be us.

Just so I'm clear: Transplants...from places like "flyover"....use "flyover"? That made sense to you? And you're so defensive over its use. I don't believe for a second you were born in NYC when you're so triggered by a rather innocuous word which doesn't refer to where you're supposedly from, yet you're fine with a thread full of some pretty nasty things being said about you're actually from - NYC. So you're OK with the downright vile shit being said about your home, but me merely using "flyover" triggers you.

If you are a NYer (I don't believe you are), then people like you who actually have to flee, so flee, but don't project your misery onto those of us who actually have good lives here. I'm sorry you're miserable. If you own in NYC, you can clearly sell for a good price and by one of those foreclosures I mentioned in those utopias everyone is fleeing to because NYC is such a shithole.

Move it along, toots.

by Anonymousreply 73January 2, 2020 6:47 PM

should* flee

by Anonymousreply 74January 2, 2020 6:49 PM

buy*

by Anonymousreply 75January 2, 2020 6:49 PM

R73 absolutely you stupid ass. I’m born and raised NYC, and no one ever speaks of anywhere else as “flyover”. As a matter of fact, many of us appreciate those quiet places and love to escape to them for small vacations to get away. It’s those originally from flyover that keep on speaking about flyover and trying to look as big city as they can, when in reality they aren’t big city at all.

R69 actually, I am. I am born and raised here. My parents also, and my Grandparents also. You’re not a NYer.

by Anonymousreply 76January 2, 2020 7:00 PM

The native NYer is a loon. Get help.

by Anonymousreply 77January 2, 2020 7:03 PM

I always figured cities needed a working class to function so why knock the people who bag groceries or work in coffee shops? It's not like they're sitting on their asses all day why shouldn't they be able to afford to exist?

by Anonymousreply 78January 2, 2020 7:07 PM

Everyone should be able to afford and exist. No one should be priced out

by Anonymousreply 79January 2, 2020 7:25 PM

The native New Yorker is calling out the fakers!

by Anonymousreply 80January 2, 2020 7:38 PM

R76, you're an idiot. No one is telling your lunatic ass to stay here and how stupid of you to decide who does and doesn't use certain words. It's rather psychotic of you to be ok with people talking absolute shit about NYC including you, yet you get apoplectic over "flyover." And I am a Native NYer - but really, who in the hell cares who you believe and don't believe since you come off like an asshole anyway.

You hate it here: MOVE.

by Anonymousreply 81January 2, 2020 7:42 PM

It is interesting that New Yorkers are the first to accuse people from places they make fun of of being overly sensitive. But they do the very same thing if anyone dares to cast aspersions on New York. Hmmm, interesting how that works.

by Anonymousreply 82January 2, 2020 7:47 PM

I concur, R76 is a lonely loon yammering that they're real and you're not. She reminds me of this crazy crone I saw recently at a deli, who out of nowhere screamed at the cashier, "I WANT YOU TO DOUBLE-BAG IT!!!" And then took about ten minutes to count out her money. That's the kind of "native New Yorker" R76 is.

by Anonymousreply 83January 2, 2020 7:49 PM

If you don't shit in the street like R76, you're not a real New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 84January 2, 2020 7:50 PM

[quote]Current tax law means you can't deduct an awful lot of local taxes there.

This doesn't impact as many as you think. You needed to itemize in order to take the deduction so it impacted the wealthy more. The common folk can still deduct up to, I think, $10K.

by Anonymousreply 85January 2, 2020 7:52 PM

[quote] [R66] good for you. But you are still a TRANSPLANT at the end of the day.

Pretty much anyone who's ever done anything interesting or worthwhile in NYC was a transplant.

by Anonymousreply 86January 2, 2020 7:53 PM

I'll bet Illinois is a close second with all the bullshit tax increases

by Anonymousreply 87January 2, 2020 7:55 PM

R82, except in this case, this thread is full of people talking shit about NYC and it only took me referring to "flyover" and nothing beyond foreclosed McMansions to set off a supposed other NYer - that's the irony. And most of the criticism is coming from NYers like myself who take issue with this nonsense about "fleeing" when it simply isn't true from what we see and experience actually living here.

You want to call this place dirty, rat-infested, crime-ridden, go for it. I don't care. But don't lie or use obviously right-leaning sources with an agenda (like Newsmax) to claim people are "fleeing" when that's a lie. It is no exaggeration when I say that if I put my home up for sale right now, it would sell in days and for quite a sum.

NY's location is ideal for a number of reason and as I said in an earlier post, even Amazon is still coming back to open up offices. It's still a hub for numerous reasons. You can't pretend that the hard-on to hate it comes from people who just hate NYC because it's just a thing to hate NYC. And yet, so many who hate it, seemed to fall in love with the most concentrated form of its worst aspects: Donald Trump

by Anonymousreply 88January 2, 2020 7:56 PM

[quote]The common folk can still deduct up to, I think, $10K.

Property taxes in New York and New Jersey are so astronomical that it doesn't take a Rockefeller for the tapping to make an impact.

by Anonymousreply 89January 2, 2020 7:57 PM

Correction: You can't pretend that the hard-on to hate it doesn't come from people who just hate NYC because it's just a thing to hate NYC

by Anonymousreply 90January 2, 2020 7:58 PM

Actually, r89, it has only impacted 11 million people in total.

by Anonymousreply 91January 2, 2020 8:08 PM

It's always struck my how tourists love to shit on New York as they've visiting. I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped to ask for directions by tourists who proceed to tell me how they can't believe I ACTUALLY live here. Or they're deliberately rude because I guess they assume New Yorkers only respect rudeness. People come here with a chip on their shoulder, with a huge inferiority complex. It's the strangest thing.

by Anonymousreply 92January 2, 2020 8:51 PM

New Jersey experienced the highest number of departures among all states in 2019, according to data from United Van Lines. One-third of people leaving cited retirement as a reason. Illinois and New York round out the top three states with the most outbound moves. Popular destinations include Idaho and Florida, the moving service found.

by Anonymousreply 93January 2, 2020 8:53 PM

R60, oh bitch shade...👀👀👀

by Anonymousreply 94January 3, 2020 12:22 AM

I lived in New York for 11 years, and kinda kept moving down market as rents increased. My first apartment was on the Upper East Side, a big studio, and I got it on a sublease. When the lease was up, the rent tripled and that caused an exodus to Brooklyn Heights. When that got too pricey, I moved to Park Slope, which was still pretty edgy back then. Didn't like that, and moved out to Bensonhurst. I loved the area. It was solid Italian back then and once you got to know people, your neighbors were like family. I loved living there, but when I returned, the neighborhood had changed so much that it didn't feel like home to me any more. I loved the time I lived in New York, and moved due to work, really to another big city Chicago. Now that I'm retired, I am kind of thinking of moving to a smaller country town, maybe Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa? Still make occasional trips to NY for music or shopping, but as I'm getting older, I don't think it would be a good place for me any more. I feel that cities are great for younger people, and while I am still very active, work out 4+ days a week, I need more room around me for my hobbies, as well as fewer of the distractions the city affords.

by Anonymousreply 95January 3, 2020 2:18 AM

[quote]and moved out to Bensonhurst. I loved the area. It was solid Italian back then and once you got to know people, your neighbors were like family. I loved living there, but when I returned, the neighborhood had changed so much that it didn't feel like home to me any more.

You can say it: Russian.

by Anonymousreply 96January 3, 2020 2:59 AM

I lived in NYC for over 10 years (prior was in LA where I was born/raised). I moved to the Hudson Valley about 5 years ago due to high rent. I am in the medical field and NYC salaries are often less due to the glut of doctors there. I live in a nice college town about 2 hours from the city. The colder weather is getting to me though.

I would like to move from high tax NY to a more affordable and warmer place that is not full of rednecks. There are few options available, it seems.

Nearby Kingston has been completely colonized by former Brooklynites also escaping high cost of housing.

by Anonymousreply 97January 3, 2020 3:22 AM

There should be federal financial support for people fleeing New York, Chicago and California.

by Anonymousreply 98January 3, 2020 3:33 AM

The number of people who can afford to be moved by United Van Lines is vanishingly small.

by Anonymousreply 99January 3, 2020 8:41 AM

My point is you're an idiot. Statistics are only as good as their assumptions and the assumptions were set in the 90s to exaggerate the growth of the sunbelt.

by Anonymousreply 100January 3, 2020 8:44 AM

BTW, calling me a "deplorable" when you are the one defending a census bureau which has been tasked with ensuring right-wing control is hilarious. It's like lefties defending nuclear power because the chance of an accident is so small and we need to get away from fossil fuels. Yes, we need get away from fossil fuels, but the chance of accident is not small: it is unacceptably large and the scientists have had 80 years to think of a way to constructively deal with nuclear waste and have failed to do so. Stop them before they kill us all: that is the only intelligent use of probability in this case. Don't hide behind fake "experts" and call that science. And you must never assume that the government isn't shading numbers every which way to accomplish political ends.

by Anonymousreply 101January 3, 2020 8:51 AM

Another example would be the CDC fake abortion statistics. Fundies took over with a view to exaggerate the numbers in order to support the antiabortion movement. They received help from New York state, which refused to give them numbers, allowing them to plug in whatever they wanted. But when the large abortion practice known as "selective reduction" came into play, showing that abortion was rapidly increasing despite their political success, suddenly they didn't want to call that abortion. It's all a political game.

by Anonymousreply 102January 3, 2020 8:56 AM

🙄🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 103January 3, 2020 11:29 AM

Yes, R98, those poor people are veritable refugees.

By the way--no one is fleeing, darling. They flee in Syria. In NYC, they get priced out. And Chicago is actually an affordable city.

But of course, R98, maybe you're just being cute.

by Anonymousreply 104January 3, 2020 12:07 PM

I kind of wonder what R104 thinks is an affordable city. He must not live here.

by Anonymousreply 105January 3, 2020 1:33 PM

Are the fleeing the city, upstate Long Island or all three...NY isn't just one place. Long Island and areas like Westchester County have property taxes that are off the wall. To pay $14, 000 a yr on a shithouse in Islip is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 106January 3, 2020 1:40 PM

No, R105, I live in NYC, and comparatively speaking, Chicago (where I assume you mean) is affordable. It's also much more affordable than San Francisco and maybe even LA.

by Anonymousreply 107January 3, 2020 2:23 PM

Even the wealthy are Leaving. They tend to be even more scrupulous about jurisdiction shopping for better tax rates. A lot of professional athletes are not going to Teams in high tax states or living in nearby low tax states. Poorer people often can’t afford to move.

by Anonymousreply 108January 3, 2020 2:37 PM

So why did MSN just say that New Jersey was the state people were leaving most??

by Anonymousreply 109January 3, 2020 4:50 PM

I know people who have left NJ because of property taxes, but not in NY.

by Anonymousreply 110January 3, 2020 5:01 PM

If you aren’t born and raised here, you aren’t a NYer. Period.

by Anonymousreply 111January 3, 2020 5:10 PM

Really, R111? Even if you pay NYC taxes and vote in NYC elections? Because New York City considers all such people New Yorkers, even if you don't. Fuck outta here.

by Anonymousreply 112January 3, 2020 5:15 PM

R112 you literally are not a real NYer.

by Anonymousreply 113January 3, 2020 5:23 PM

Taxes are becoming a real issue for me as I age and make less money. Given my smaller withdrawals from 401k will be taxed, it’s a serious concern about staying here post-62. The elimination of the Federal deduction thanks to the Rethuglicans needs to be fixed.

by Anonymousreply 114January 3, 2020 5:23 PM

Maybe if we abolished taxes and government, then everybody would be happy!

by Anonymousreply 115January 3, 2020 5:24 PM

R113 is a literal asshole.

by Anonymousreply 116January 3, 2020 5:26 PM

When I was making a lot of money, I didn’t mind NYC taxes. Now on a limited income, it’s a significant impact. I just wish we could stop funding the Deplorable states.

by Anonymousreply 117January 3, 2020 5:26 PM

You’re no tramp, but you’re no lady!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 3, 2020 5:39 PM

Republicans brilliantly passed tax policy get penalizes LiVing in blue states and big cities.

by Anonymousreply 119January 3, 2020 6:31 PM

The absolute gall of Republicans in red moocher states.

It's basically like a shitty, ungrateful baby dependent on its parents fir everything, getting to fuck them over.

by Anonymousreply 120January 3, 2020 6:40 PM

for*

by Anonymousreply 121January 3, 2020 6:40 PM

Democrats would never be bold Enough to skew tax policy in favor of blue stateS over red stateS like this.

by Anonymousreply 122January 3, 2020 6:42 PM

No, Democrats believe the voters give you points for being reasonable and grown up. They don't.

by Anonymousreply 123January 3, 2020 7:23 PM

I like Michelle Obama, but that "go high" crap doesn't work with these cockroaches - and that is what they are.

by Anonymousreply 124January 3, 2020 7:24 PM

Facts

by Anonymousreply 125January 3, 2020 7:27 PM

[quote] If you aren’t born and raised here, you aren’t a NYer. Period.

They're New Yorkers, but they're not native New Yorkers. Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 126January 3, 2020 7:49 PM

The Republican Party is all bout “me”. Take care of yourself - screw everyone else. Fits perfectly with capitalism. How do you fight sociopaths - except with sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 127January 3, 2020 7:52 PM

R126 they aren’t NYers. They’re [place wherever you come from] living in Ny. Big difference

by Anonymousreply 128January 3, 2020 7:57 PM

Total bullshit, R128. You keep trying to sell that but no one buys it. You're absurd. If you pay taxes to the city of NY, you're a New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 129January 3, 2020 8:07 PM

R129 Sweetie. It’s a fact. Just because you moved TO MY HOME doesn’t make you one of us. You aren’t.

by Anonymousreply 130January 3, 2020 8:09 PM

LMFAO! Your home! MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 131January 3, 2020 8:14 PM

It’s my home. Yes. You moved here aka invaded. I was born on this land.

by Anonymousreply 132January 3, 2020 8:19 PM

Oh wow 😳

by Anonymousreply 133January 3, 2020 8:19 PM

Actually, Native Americans were--not you, R132. So you're not a NYer either. LMFAO!!!

by Anonymousreply 134January 3, 2020 8:20 PM

Look up the word Native before typing stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 135January 3, 2020 8:21 PM

na·tive (nā′tĭv) adj. 1. a. Being such by birth or origin: a native Scot.

b. Being a member of the original inhabitants of a particular place.

c. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of such inhabitants: native dress; the native diet of Polynesia.

d. Being one's own because of the place or circumstances of one's birth: our native land.

2. Originating, growing, or produced in a certain place or region; indigenous:

by Anonymousreply 136January 3, 2020 8:22 PM

So yes. I am a Native NYer.

And again, you aren’t.

by Anonymousreply 137January 3, 2020 8:23 PM

When I look up stupid fuck in the dictionary, your picture is there, R135/R136/R137. The argument is whether if you live in New York City, you're a New Yorker, which you claim I'm not. Being a native New Yorker no more makes you a New Yorker than me, you gash.

by Anonymousreply 138January 3, 2020 8:25 PM

Off da rails....

by Anonymousreply 139January 3, 2020 8:29 PM

R138 it 100% makes me more of a NYer than you.

by Anonymousreply 140January 3, 2020 8:35 PM

Say it all you want, R140, it's not true.

by Anonymousreply 141January 3, 2020 8:38 PM

Sweetie. It’s true. Where were you born and grew up?

by Anonymousreply 142January 3, 2020 8:44 PM

Sweetie. If you move to NYC, pay city taxes and are registered as a NYC citizen on your voting records and the census, you're a NYC resident. Hence, a New Yorker. It has nothing to do with being born in NYC, which makes people native New Yorkers, not the ONLY New Yorkers. If you move to a state, after registering as resident of that state, you are one. That's how it all works.

by Anonymousreply 143January 3, 2020 8:51 PM

We are the REAL New Yorkers bitch. Look how desperate you are to be us lmaoooooo. Then you wonder why we are superior

by Anonymousreply 144January 3, 2020 8:54 PM

Honey, you're just a belligerent cunt with nothing to say. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 145January 3, 2020 8:55 PM

R105 I have lived in both Chicago and New York and New York, as well as Toronto and Washington D.C., and trust me, Chicago is just about as expensive as New York in most categories. Property and sales taxes are much higher than New York. As a matter of fact, when I see something at Neiman Marcus that I like that is expensive, I've learned to order it through Bergdorf Goodman as they don't charge Illinois sales tax. Car registration is far more expensive here, There are a lot of outer borough areas that are far more reasonable than the outlying areas of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 146January 3, 2020 9:09 PM

City of New York and elsewhere may be losing population, but there are many reasons.

First and foremost just as with rest of country boomers are reaching retirement age, and their parents generation either are dying or becoming advanced elderly. Latter means if the kids move out of state, surviving parent or parents usually go as well.

Middle class is fleeing NYC and even Westchester or Long Island due to HCL, taxes, and simple fact areas are changing (read less white).

Families with children crunch numbers and often realize they can do far better close as New Jersey, or elsewhere. That is even if they pay more in taxes their kids can attend excellent local public schools. This and there are plenty of other amenities provided by local governments in exchange for all those high taxes.

Parts of New Jersey such as Montclair and Maplewood are now nicknamed "Brooklyn" because of all the former Park Slope and other residents of west Brooklyn who have fled to those areas. This covers both gay and straight.....

Upstate is what it is; a hot mess caused by it being part of rust belt, and despite being elected three times on promises to change things, upstate still is emptying out due to lack of good employment options. Large employers up there either have long folded, are moving, or shrinking footprints; and nothing is coming to replace. Oh and weather up there isn't that great large portions of year; especially winters which can be brutal.

None of this touches recent changes in tax code (read SALT deductions) that has uncovered NYS's tax nakedness.

For decades Albany raised taxes with a wink and nod because people could deduct some of it on their federal taxes so things sort of evened out. Now they cannot or that ability is restricted people have woken up, and are packing up.

Finally why would anyone who works hard enough to be middle class (which by the way would be considered wealthy in most areas of country), remain in NYC or even NYS? Increasingly all you get is taxed to death to support a vast and bewildering array of social services/wealth redistribution. Services such as transportation (subways, buses, etc... ) stink compared to say Paris, London, Toyko. Housing is insanely expensive for what you get (and this includes much new construction that is piss poor but costs millions to buy or several thousands in rent per month).

If you are poor, very low income, illegal immigrant or whatever, then yes, New York is a great place to be; you give very little but get much more handed over to you for free. Homeless? No problem, city will put you into brand new construction apartment for little or no cost to yourself.

People who are flocking here besides the poor are Bernie Bros and their frau equivalents (think AOC) . You're seeing proof of this in how politics are changing in areas of Queens, Brooklyn and in a limited way (for now) Bronx and Staten Island.

Lust after Matt Karp all you want; but Brooklyn is full of guys just like him politics wise, and their numbers are growing. These are relatively well paid tech and others whose relative wealth (for now) allows them to live in NYC and spread their gospel.

by Anonymousreply 147January 3, 2020 11:39 PM

Deplorable Alert 🚨 ⬆️

by Anonymousreply 148January 3, 2020 11:48 PM

Yeah, R148, this thread has been overrun by deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 149January 3, 2020 11:49 PM

Yeah, r147 is way off on a lot.

by Anonymousreply 150January 3, 2020 11:53 PM

To the transplants who consider themselves NYers, don't get insulted: As Brooklynites, we pretty much hear the same nonsense from the ones who live in "the city." Take it with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 151January 4, 2020 12:10 AM

If only "native" New Yorkers counted as actual New Yorkers, instead of 8 million the New York City population would be be about 3 million people. LMFAO.

by Anonymousreply 152January 4, 2020 12:13 AM

Native New Yorkers, according to a curbed.com article, constitutes anyone born in New York State, not just NYC. So I'm a native New Yorker--woo hoo!

by Anonymousreply 153January 4, 2020 12:19 AM

Poor Andy Warhol, Gloria Steinem, Halston, Tom Wolfe, Liza, Nan Kempner, Anna Wintour, Fran Lebowitz, Diane von Furstenberg, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Barbara Walters, George Steinbrenner, Michael Bloomberg, Brooke Astor, Spike Lee, Babe Paley, Tory Burch, Danny Meyer, DJ Kool Herc, Nora Ephron, Diane Sawyer, Alexander Wang, Charlie Rose, Annie Leibovitz, Edith Wharton, and on and on and on.... none of them New Yorkers!

by Anonymousreply 154January 4, 2020 1:14 AM

I know, R154! Isn't it a pity? And yet that queen on this thread prattles on about how only SHE is a real New Yorker! LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 155January 4, 2020 1:17 AM

This map is pretty interesting, red and pink shows the counties losing population and light and dark blue shows counties gaining population. This map was created by a Reddit user so there might be some mistakes but in general it looks like people are leaving rural areas and moving to cities and suburbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 4, 2020 1:18 AM

No, if you did not AT LEAST grow up in NYC you are not a legitimate NYer. You are what is called a transplant. You are a Texan/Californian/Floridian etc. living in NY. Not a NYer. That is as much fantasy as most of the bullshit stories DLers post, filled with their mental illnesses and delusions.

by Anonymousreply 157January 4, 2020 1:52 AM

Oh, dear, the loon is back, thinking she's the Statue of Liberty. Oh, wait--the Statue of Liberty came from France, so she's not a New Yorker, either!

LMFAO.

by Anonymousreply 158January 4, 2020 1:54 AM

I lived in MA for a few years...I was never anything but a "NYer" to them. The accent didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 159January 4, 2020 1:55 AM

R157, you are what is called a bore, in any city.

by Anonymousreply 160January 4, 2020 1:55 AM

R154 correct, they weren’t legitimate NYers.

R155 no. Those of us born and raised here are NYers. Those who weren’t born here but grew up here in childhood are NYers. Someone who grew up elsewhere but moves here in adult age? Not a NYer. That’s a TRANSPLANT

by Anonymousreply 161January 4, 2020 1:55 AM

r159 exactly. Everywhere I go I am still a NYer to them. You think if I move to TX they are gonna call me a Texan suddenly? No. I am a NYer in TX. That is reality.

by Anonymousreply 162January 4, 2020 1:57 AM

I am originally from California, and moved to NYC a few years ago, and I do not consider myself a "NYer NYer". I am a California boy that moved to NYC. That is what I am. I was brought up in California. My background and foundation are California. You can leave where you came from but where you came from will never fully leave you. This idea that you are just as much a NYer as someone that has been here their entire life is bullshit, same way if you decided to move to California you are not suddenly a Californian.

by Anonymousreply 163January 4, 2020 2:05 AM

Boris Johnson was born in NY. Is he a NYer?

by Anonymousreply 164January 4, 2020 2:08 AM

According to the crazy cunt, YES!

by Anonymousreply 165January 4, 2020 2:11 AM

Ft Lauderdale is full of NYC rejects

by Anonymousreply 166January 4, 2020 2:21 AM

[quote]No, if you did not AT LEAST grow up in NYC you are not a legitimate NYer.

Whether they are legitimate NYers or not, every single person mentioned at r154 is more interesting, accomplished, and special than you are, as well as more strongly associated with New York City.

Why is this such a big fucking deal to you, anyway? Most of the native NYers I know are provincial tools.

by Anonymousreply 167January 4, 2020 2:24 AM

HA! R167 nails it. What a burn to the dumb cunt R154.

by Anonymousreply 168January 4, 2020 2:40 AM

Imagine throwing jabs at Native NYers when you’re literally DESPERATE to be us.

by Anonymousreply 169January 4, 2020 2:43 AM

HA to me! I love R154. Sorry, R154. I meant the dumb cunt who thinks she's the only New Yorker in NY.

by Anonymousreply 170January 4, 2020 2:59 AM

^^^^^ BORING!

by Anonymousreply 171January 4, 2020 3:07 AM

Sorry R171 was meant for R169

by Anonymousreply 172January 4, 2020 3:08 AM

^^^THANKS! THAT'S A COMPLIMENT, COMING FROM YOU!

by Anonymousreply 173January 4, 2020 3:09 AM

I think we're ALL hate R169. Love you, too, R172.

by Anonymousreply 174January 4, 2020 3:11 AM

^^^^ ANYTHING YOU CAN DO I CAN DO BETTER! I CAN DO ANYTHING BETTER THAN YOU!

by Anonymousreply 175January 4, 2020 3:11 AM

Hmmm...who's a real New Yorker--R169 or Fran Lebowitz?

by Anonymousreply 176January 4, 2020 3:12 AM

This crazy New Yorker loon doesn’t seem to grasp the difference between a “native” New Yorker and a New Yorker. To the vast majority of sane people a New Yorker is simply someone who lives there and is closely associated with the city vis a vis their career or cultural contribution.

by Anonymousreply 177January 4, 2020 3:14 AM

And pays taxes to live there.

by Anonymousreply 178January 4, 2020 3:15 AM

For whatever reason NYers like to elect transplants from MA as mayor. Bloomberg was one, and it seems Corey Johnston will make number two come 2021

by Anonymousreply 179January 4, 2020 3:24 AM

[quote] Imagine throwing jabs at Native NYers when you’re literally DESPERATE to be us.

I'm too busy trying to imagine feeling desperate to be a native NYer.

by Anonymousreply 180January 4, 2020 5:40 PM

Who wants to be a New Yorker?

by Anonymousreply 181January 4, 2020 6:03 PM

R156 - that’s an interesting map. I’m shocked at southern FL growth. Where are the jobs to support these people?

I think the NYC suburbs are in trouble. The tax issue combined with insane real estate prices make it hard to justify. But as long as the jobs are in NYC, people will still be attached to the region.

CT looks bad. No wonder those beautiful Litchfield County houses are selling for a song. All the native CTers are fleeing.

by Anonymousreply 182January 4, 2020 6:25 PM

People are moving to places without jobs just to escape high living costs and cold weather

by Anonymousreply 183January 4, 2020 7:16 PM

It's never that cold anymore in NYC - save a few moments of bitter cold. Did we even get much snow last year?

by Anonymousreply 184January 4, 2020 7:27 PM

But it’s still too cold For many

by Anonymousreply 185January 4, 2020 7:29 PM

And they’re coming to Philadelphia! Go away!!!

by Anonymousreply 186January 4, 2020 7:29 PM

Over 40% of Americans live in the South now. We are close to a majority Southern nation

by Anonymousreply 187January 4, 2020 7:30 PM

R187 link?

by Anonymousreply 188January 4, 2020 7:46 PM

R184, true

R185, not it's not.

First week of January and today was warm (in middle 50's) here in Manhattan and raining. Temps over next several days are predicted to range during day between high 30's through high 40's or even low 50's. I grew up in this city and well recall January's where temps were below freezing for days on end.

Haven't bought a new winter coat in ages; but have laid in a supply of hoodies, scarfs and down or Patagonia/L.L. Bean vests. In fact the new "bro" uniform for many sectors in city today includes such a vest.

Only people complaining about being cold in this moderate weather are same usual groups; fraus, elderly/middle aged, and for some strange reason certain African Americans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189January 4, 2020 11:03 PM

Most people dislike cold weather

by Anonymousreply 190January 4, 2020 11:23 PM

In the high 40s to high 50s all this coming week in NYC, with rain. Not bad for the middle of January. NYC rarely gets freezing cold and blizzardy. At most we might have a streak of cold weather for a few weeks, maybe one good snowfall. We're talking over 4 months.

by Anonymousreply 191January 5, 2020 9:17 PM

But that’s still far too much cold for many

by Anonymousreply 192January 5, 2020 9:35 PM

Most of the country gets colder than that, R192.

by Anonymousreply 193January 5, 2020 9:44 PM

Not Florida, Texas, the South, Arizona, California, at least half the population

by Anonymousreply 194January 5, 2020 10:09 PM

R194, of course California and Florida don't get that cold. California is far from cheap. Texas isn't cheap either (not the cities or the suburbs of the cities). You can have Florida and South Carolina. You'll never make nearly as much money living in either place, and if retiring in wither place, your living standards will go down unless you're near cities. And half the population don't live in warm climates with no cold.

by Anonymousreply 195January 5, 2020 10:21 PM

Exactly, R192 and R194. Yes, New York City, LI and most of NJ have less severe winters compared to New England or the Midwest. So do Philadelphia and DC. But you can't be outside in shorts and a t-shirt in January in any of those places, and that's what many people mean when they talk about "mild winters". They are happy to accept hot and humid or hellishly hot and dry summers to avoid any sort of cold, icy or snowy weather. The older I get, the more I understand this POV, by the way. We've hardly had any winter in Philly yet this year, but I'm pretty much ready for spring.

by Anonymousreply 196January 5, 2020 10:21 PM

*either place

by Anonymousreply 197January 5, 2020 10:22 PM

It's a tradeoff: I'd rather live in NYC or Philadelphia where it's cold but not brutally cold for 3+ months and still have everything those cities offer, both in standard of living and job opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 198January 5, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote] Texas isn't cheap either (not the cities or the suburbs of the cities).

R195, Dallas and Houston are much, much cheaper than New York, whether you're talking about downtown or suburban living. Whether you standard of living will go down in TX, FL, SC et al depends on what's important to you.

by Anonymousreply 199January 5, 2020 10:25 PM

^^^ "youR standard of living ..."

by Anonymousreply 200January 5, 2020 10:27 PM

Then there's the opposite problem if you live in Texas or Florida, blisteringly hot and disgustingly humid. You have to live in air condtioning and pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 201January 5, 2020 10:38 PM

People tend to be okay with that

by Anonymousreply 202January 6, 2020 12:03 AM

One thing people need to be aware of when "fleeing" NYS for south or elsewhere except certain areas (mainly west coast) is yes, CoL is lower, but so are wages. In short people make New York money in large part because of high cost of living.

Many of those leaving for North Carolina, Florida, etc... are retirees including a good number of uniformed services (fire, law enforcement, etc...) who have very good pensions and healthcare schemes. Good number retired young enough they start entire new careers down south, or maybe commute back up to NY all while still drawing pensions.

OTOH young people who are leaving NY for south or elsewhere often find yes, they can get a job, but they may need to work two or maybe a dual income household to make sort of money they planned on.

Italians, Irish and some others once fled to Staten Island or New Jersey, now they are skipping those areas often all together and going straight to North Carolina or Florida. Things may be bad in NY, but NJ is seeing people flee there as well (high taxes, retirees, etc...). NJ however is attracting many NYC residents priced out of Manhattan, Brooklyn or Staten Island looking for homes. Especially those with school aged kids, so things may balance out.

For the record not everyone in North Carolina is thrilled with all these NYS/NYS "Italians" or others flooding into their area.

by Anonymousreply 203January 6, 2020 12:32 AM

I love how idiots like R147 think the poor have it easy, that the government does shit for them. I have news - being poor SUCKS. The American welfare system is stingy and punitive and makes you jump through hoops for the teeniest nickel. And the funny thing is that it is that way in order to placate bitter assholes like R147, except it doesn't work. They still hate it if the government does something for the poor.

by Anonymousreply 204January 6, 2020 4:17 PM

Preach it

by Anonymousreply 205January 6, 2020 6:07 PM

R205

Ok, we're not talking about *American* welfare system; but what happens in New York; please keep up.

New York lone in its constitution mandates state and local governments *MUST* provide for the poor. This has translated into a vast and bewildering array of social and other services paid for in large part by taxpayers. Housing is a "right" in NYS as per court order/interpetation of said mandate. You can arrive from Paris, Texas or Paris, France and go right to nearest homeless intake to be given housing/shelter.

A quick glance at budget pie for NYS would give lie to costs of "welfare" spending because it only shows as 3%; but that does not tell entire story. NYS budget is a complex and organic thing that few if any truly understand. Funds are spent from various categories towards various programs that aid poor persons, but on face of things wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with.

NYS has largest Medicaid budget in entire country, even surpassing California despite having a smaller population. As Albany returns in January they are facing a several *billion* ( predicted) dollar deficit.

Everyone knows NYS/NYC is a soft touch which is why they come here; NYS long has been known as a "welfare state" which goes a long way in explaining high rates of taxation, fees, and surcharges.

NYT did a story a while back about a trans with criminal record living in south. Her friends from NYC told her to come up because things are "good" here, so she did. At once got free housing (due to HIV status), and also NYS Medicaid paid for her sex change operation, breast implants, etc....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206January 6, 2020 7:36 PM

Everything R206 explains is part of why I live here. I choose to live in a more socialist environment than most of the US - and I pay for it. My choice. One of the good things about states rights. Also the certainty of health care and abortion.

by Anonymousreply 207January 6, 2020 7:39 PM

[quote]NYS has largest Medicaid budget in entire country, even surpassing California despite having a smaller population.

Because while people in the rest of the country whine about Mexicans getting benefits, they have no idea of what the Hasids (who average like 6-10 kids) and Russians have done in NYC. The fraud is insane.

by Anonymousreply 208January 6, 2020 7:41 PM

R207

Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people’s money.

by Anonymousreply 209January 6, 2020 7:43 PM

R209? Except people like that old cunt and other conservatives have no problem with "socialism" when bailing out the wealthiest. Funny how when the wealthiest fail, they get to socialize those failures and getting bailed out using "other people's money."

by Anonymousreply 210January 6, 2020 7:49 PM

Want to get an idea how how deeply New Yorkers are taxed?

Have at it below. Mind you this does not include a vast array of surcharges and fees that are tacked onto everything from your utility bills (gas, oil, electric, telephone, cell phone, etc...) to taxes paid by employers on employees, a tax paid on health insurance, taxes paid on buying a home (mortgage recording tax), and so on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 6, 2020 7:49 PM

Fine! Then move the fuck out. Fuck off to Jacksonville or Abilene and stop whining on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 212January 6, 2020 9:14 PM

"Because while people in the rest of the country whine about Mexicans getting benefits, they have no idea of what the Hasids (who average like 6-10 kids) and Russians have done in NYC. The fraud is insane"

No you stupid fuck. 1/3 of NYS residents are now on Medicaid due to ACA. The biggest growth was in single adults, many who work under the table and lie about their income. There are 2 million Jews in NYS and most are not Hasidim.

by Anonymousreply 213January 6, 2020 10:03 PM

[quote]There are 2 million Jews in NYS and most are not Hasidim.

Cunt, where did I say most Jews were Hasidim? Secondly, asshole, it doesn't matter if there was growth, there has always been massive fraud with medicaid in that particular community along with the Russian community. And I know what you're trying to do, fucking asshole. No matter what you try to say, that particular sect has always been sketchy. Always. And that isn't me talking about the majority, you shithead. You want to get into Section 8 housing while we're at it?

by Anonymousreply 214January 6, 2020 10:10 PM

Let's start here. And it's a site you probably run to:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 6, 2020 10:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216January 6, 2020 10:16 PM

Sounds like California taxes r211.

by Anonymousreply 217January 6, 2020 10:23 PM

"that particular sect has always been sketchy. Always. "

They are a hostile, insular group that doesn't pay taxes and also works the public educational system to subsidize their disgusting yeshivas, where children as old as 11-years old - who were born here in the US - cannot speaker or write English.

First: they only get religiously married - they don't get marriage licenses. So the women have like 10 kids and then claim to be single mothers and get a shit ton of services like Medicaid and Food Stamps. These are families who own a ton of real estate in Crown Heights and South Williamsburg.

Then they harass social workers at the Dept of Education to get their kids IEPs (special education designation) to get even more services and money for their Yeshivas. Rabbis will even call up, representing orthodox families, and will harass these social workers until they relent. Many do not, so do you know what this shitty shitty group does? They accuse these workers of being anti-semitic and threaten law suits.

Sorry to ramble - but my husband is administration at the DOE and these people are the bane of his existence. He works with a ton of other jewish people too who fucking HATE the orthodox with the heat of a thousand suns.

Calling them sketchy is kind. They are scumbag leeches.

by Anonymousreply 218January 6, 2020 10:53 PM

Mayor McAsswipe is up to some more tricks and deception. He has city workers going to all the chronically homeless in the better areas, people who refuse to use the shelters because of they feel unsafe and feel better off on the streets, to offer them hotel rooms at $250 per night paid by the taxpayers. That is 7500 month per person paid by the taxpayer. Then he will turn around and say that he lowered the amount of homeless in NYC and things are wonderful. He is killing the middle class this clown.

by Anonymousreply 219January 6, 2020 11:01 PM

R218, and that's exactly why I said what I did. The asshole to whom I responded attempted to turn my comment into an "antisemitic" comment. I know exactly what I said and why I said it. Learn to pick your battles. These aren't people worth defending. They're dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 220January 6, 2020 11:02 PM

Florida certainly boasts warm weather to attract new residents away from the snow and ice often seen in the northeastern and midwestern states this time of year. It also has no state income tax, something that a recent article in the Wall Street Journal said is a big influence for the continued influx of new residents these states are seeing.

by Anonymousreply 221January 16, 2020 8:45 PM

Some articles recently that the SALT deduction elimination is really starting to have an impact and pushing people out.

Also, that SAME tax bill that created double taxation for the average income earner in high tax states due to the above? Resulted in a $32 BILLION tax free gift to the big banks in 2019! Fuck the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 222January 16, 2020 9:08 PM

I can buy a completely renovated townhouse, 3 finished floors plus the basement, in a nice little town only 2 1/2 hours away from Manhattan. In another state. The mortgage would be hundreds of dollars cheaper than my rent. Low crime rate. It has Amtrak service in case I get antsy or the urge to visit. No traffic problems. Lots of parks and green spaces. And for a place that has a population of 60 thousand, it has two Jamaican restaurants, one Trinidadian restaurant, two West African restaurants, several noodle and dim sum joints, and several latin spots. Great indoor green market with food stalls, baked goods, plant and flower sellers. No state tax on SS and pension income. And neighbors who aren’t overly friendly and want to get in yo’ business. And it’s not touted as the next Brooklyn. So what the hell am I waiting for;)

by Anonymousreply 223January 17, 2020 12:40 AM

Yep, blue states are subsidizing red states more than ever, and people are moving to Texas, Florida, Arizona, NC, to cash out on their expensive blue state homes and buy huge mansions in red states

by Anonymousreply 224January 17, 2020 12:48 AM

Thing about moving to Florida or anyplace "down south" from NY is things are far better if you've made money up here, then move rather than having to rely upon earning a living down there.

Yes, COL in Florida, Atlanta, Asheville, etc... are all less than NY; but that is also why employment pays far less than what many are used to coming from New York. If one is ok with that, and or can otherwise manage. There is a reason why many who are making that move are retirees and others with decent to substantial nest eggs.

by Anonymousreply 225January 17, 2020 3:13 AM

Exactly R225 - even after taxes and COL, I can make more in NYC than any place else. In part because most of the high end jobs in my industry are here. Just doesn’t exist in FL.

by Anonymousreply 226January 17, 2020 3:47 AM

A new study finds that New York and New Jersey are losing more residents than any other states.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227February 19, 2020 1:45 AM

New York has lost nearly 120,000 residents since 2016. Domestic migration accounted for a loss of 196,000 New York metropolitan area residents in just the last year, 1.02% of its 2018 population. Second largest Los Angeles has lost more than 60,000 residents since 2017, while its net domestic migration loss was 122,000 in the last year. This is a loss of 0.92% of its 2018 population.

by Anonymousreply 228May 7, 2020 9:51 PM

The nation’s largest city, New York (population 8.34 million), had the biggest numeric decline in 2019, shrinking by 53,300.

by Anonymousreply 229May 23, 2020 12:04 PM

The Hill: A perfect storm of factors makes the decision to leave major cities like New York very obvious. The dense nature of urban living and the lack of proper local government planning led to the coronavirus spreading five times faster in New York than the rest of the country. The city that never sleeps now resembles a ghost town in many areas after thousands of its wealthy and middle class residents fled early in the pandemic.

Many are moving to small towns north of the five boroughs. Four upstate counties have seen an incredible surge in real estate demand, while the rest of the New York market is cratering. In Ulster County, the number of homes now under contract nearly doubles the 2016 figures. It saw steady sales in March and April while the overall New York market fell by nearly 30 percent. Some people are staying at their vacation homes, but the data suggest there are many permanent moves in the works.

by Anonymousreply 230July 6, 2020 2:31 AM

Many of these moves were being contemplated by households anyway, especially those with children about to enter school, or still in elementary.

Covid-19 along with other factors such as near rock bottom mortgage rates all have played a factor in people packing up and moving out of city.

Rise and continued growth of WFH movement certainly has added fuel to many reconsidering why they need to live in Manhattan or other parts of city period.

Right now people are looking for space, but also some type of isolation. They don't want to be in large multifamily buildings with scores of people coming and going all day. They also want room to move around within their homes, something cramped city apartments often do not offer.

For what people want for a tiny two-bedroom on say UWS or even Brooklyn, you can by an entire house in NJ, Westchester or upstate NY.

Those who were renting find these moves easy; people who own OTOH may not get same price they would have (or thought they would) before covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 231July 6, 2020 2:58 AM

ew data from the AEI COVID-19 and American Life Survey reveals that those in cities are struggling and that urbanites are ready to move somewhere else.

Specifically, the survey asked Americans about their mental health during COVID-19. The results show that those in cities are in appreciably worse shape than those in suburbs and rural areas — places designed for space, air, and distance.

For instance, the survey queried how often a respondent felt lonely or isolated in the past week. For cities, 42 percent of urban dwellers felt lonely a few times a week or more, compared to a much lower 32 percent in suburban and 33 percent rural areas. When asked about feelings of depression with the pandemic, 41 percent of those in cities reported feeling depressed a few times a week or more often. 34 percent of those in suburban areas and 30 percent in rural areas reported the same.

28 percent of those in urban areas reported crying because they felt stressed, frustrated, or overwhelmed a few times in a week or more often. The figure was 18 percent in suburban and rural areas, suggesting that those outside urban cores are managing the psychological effects of this crisis better.

Patterns of sociability have also changed markedly since the pandemic hit the nation. Before COVID-19, 56 percent of those in cities knew their neighbors fairly or very well in 2018; that dropped to just 47 percent in 2020. In contrast, 48 percent of those in suburbs knew their neighbors well, and that number increased to 52 percent since the outbreak. Those in rural areas have been the most social — around 60 percent — and there has been practically no change with the viral outbreak. While these figures are not perfect measures of neighborhood connection, they do reveal that connections have diminished in cities while they have actually increased in suburban areas — places historically described as desolate and lonely.

Finally, the survey data reveals that interest in living in cities has plummeted since COVID-19 emerged. In 2018, Gallup asked Americans where they would like to live if they could live anywhere they wished. While 29 percent stated cities, another 31 percent wanted suburbs and another 27 percent were most interested in rural areas. 12 percent stated that they wanted to live in a town.

In just two years, the numbers look notably different. The AEI survey found large interest in those areas outside of cities, while interest in cities plummeted. Just 13 percent claimed that they would like to live in a city — a 55 percent decrease. In contrast, 29 percent of Americans said that they would ideally reside in a suburban area, and another 28 percent said a rural area. Small town living was the big beneficiary, with 29 percent of Americans stating that they would now like to live in a small town.

When urbanites were asked, just 34 percent stated that they would like to remain in a city, while the rest were fairly evenly split among suburbs, towns, and rural areas. In contrast, majorities of those who reside in suburban and rural areas along with small towns all stated that that they would not move from their urban

by Anonymousreply 232August 29, 2020 2:14 AM

That article is really low quality, R230/R231/R232. The first part is a bunch of unsupported conjectures and the second part implies that the poll results are proof of a correlation. For example it states that those in suburbs are less lonely than in cities, implying that suburbs are providing better mental health conditions, but doesn't consider alternative explanations such as suburb residents being more likely to be families (who would be expected to report less loneliness no matter where they live).

Kind of a typical filler article that's unfortunately common these days, it does no professional analysis and simply parrots a poll result, assuming that every reader will analyze it individually.

There's a lot of fear-mongering around NYC's collapse, but it's got 10 million people in it so any articles with generalizations across the whole population are a waste of time imo.

by Anonymousreply 233August 29, 2020 2:37 AM

The exodus of New York. Big lines this morning at UHAUL. CATASTROPHIC setbacks in quality of life —-people have had enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234August 29, 2020 6:36 PM

Bet RE brokers are making bank in LI, Westchester, Connecticut, and New Jersey....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235August 30, 2020 11:54 AM

"The data shows that just under half of those moving from New York went to cities in North Carolina, Florida, Texas and California."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236September 4, 2020 1:48 PM

, New York and New Jersey are the states that have seen the biggest exodus of residents.

The data shows that just under half of those moving from New York went to cities in North Carolina, Florida, Texas and California.

REDFIN BACKS UP In a separate Redfin study, Charlotte is one of the top destinations for homebuyers looking to move to a different metro region.

It ranked No. 10 with a net inflow of 2,234 – meaning that much more people are looking to move in than leave.

Sacramento, Phoenix and Las Vegas—all places with a median home price of under $475,000— nabbed the top spots, respectively.

The latest migration analysis is based on a sample of more than 1.5 million Redfin.com users who searched for homes across 87 metro areas in the second quarter of 2020, excluding searches unlikely to precede an actual relocation or home purchase.

To be included in this dataset, a Redfin.com user must have viewed at least 10 homes in a particular metro area, and homes in that area must make up at least 80 percent of the user’s searches.

“People who can work remotely are re-examining where they want to live, and for most of them that means they’re looking at places that are less expensive,” said Veronica Clyatt, a Redfin agent in Pleasanton, CA, in a statement.

by Anonymousreply 237September 4, 2020 2:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!