Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's talk about Madeline Kahn...

Just saw Young Frankenstein again on TCM. She was great but II oved her best in Paper Moon.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2020 10:48 PM

^^ She was great but I loved her best in Paper Moon.

by Anonymousreply 1December 29, 2019 9:56 PM

Lili

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 29, 2019 9:59 PM

Wasn't she kidnapped as a toddler in Portugal? When did they find her?

by Anonymousreply 3December 29, 2019 10:05 PM

One of the best comedic actresses EVAH! Trixie Delight was an Oscar-worthy performance - especially the scene where she climbs the hill in heels and tried to convince Addie to come to the car

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 29, 2019 10:07 PM

Her first movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 29, 2019 10:08 PM

There hasn't been anyone as funny as she in all these years.

by Anonymousreply 6December 29, 2019 10:14 PM

She was also a trained soprano and hoped to work in opera but that didn't happen for her.

by Anonymousreply 7December 29, 2019 10:17 PM

Mahweena Deutschwand

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 29, 2019 10:17 PM

Oh God -- her Marlena Dietrich bit in Blazing Saddles -- "I'm Tired" -- I have to find a link to that!

by Anonymousreply 9December 29, 2019 10:19 PM

I'm Tired! I'm not a wabbit, I need some west....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 29, 2019 10:21 PM

God she was awesome

by Anonymousreply 11December 29, 2019 10:40 PM

Taffetta, darling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 29, 2019 10:48 PM

Beautiful, funny, extremely talented... She was never less than brilliant. Some trivia for DL:

She was a marvelous Cunegonde in CanCANDIDE (1968 concert).

She was hired to play Agnes Gooch in the musical (?) film of MAME, but personally fired by Lucille Ball.

She sang on more than a dozen cast albums and concert recordings.

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2019 12:02 AM

She stole the show in What's Up Doc?

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2019 2:04 AM

A rumored cocaine problem in the 70s kept her from the reaching the pinnacle of show biz success, slowing her down just as she was getting the hottest.

She could've easily been an equal to Streisand, Midler and Minnelli. She was a better actress than all of them and at least as good a singer. Unfortunately, she won't be remembered as much.

She was nominated two years in a row for supporting Oscars (Blazing Saddles and Paper Moon) and won a Tony for The Sisters Rosensweig.

She was Mel Brooks' favorite leading lady, starring in four of his movies.

Her TV sitcom Oh Madeline! lasted only one season. She ended her career supporting Bill Cosby on his last (unfunny) sitcom.

She died of ovarian cancer at age 57 in 1999.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2019 3:07 AM

Wonderfully talented but a true supporting performer. Never as impressive in a starring role but could steal any movie or show as the underling.

by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2019 4:26 AM

R16 Great observation! Madeline was a scene stealer as a character actress. She always totally filled whatever niche spot she accepted. Stockard Channing is another example.

by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2019 9:38 PM

I hated her SO... MUCH, it, it, the flames, FLAMES, on the side of my face... breathing... breathless... heaving breaths... heaving... breaths...

by Anonymousreply 18December 30, 2019 9:44 PM

She is so hilarious in "Young Frankenstein." She steals the entire movie.

"Taffeta, darling."

"Oh darling, you mustn't worry so..." (said in as bored a voice as possible)

"Well, seven IS my lucky number..."

"Oh, you men are alike! Six or seven quick ones, and you're off with the boys... to BOAST... and BRAG!"

She is so adored by so many gay Boomers and Xers, but I worry she was not prolific enough to be well remembered after we die. She may be like Lyda Roberti, who was pretty much the Madeline Kahn of the 1930s--she was beloved in her time, but didn't do enough work to be well remembered later.

by Anonymousreply 19December 30, 2019 10:05 PM

R19 Oh yes, hilarious delivery! In R10 I'm Tired... so sick of men 'coming and going, going and coming'

There's always something new to appreciate about Ms. Madeline in that clip. And her Ms. Trixie Delight in Paper Moon. Not a huge part but she steals every scene.

by Anonymousreply 20December 30, 2019 10:21 PM

"Husbands should be like kleenex- soft, strong, and disposable."

by Anonymousreply 21December 30, 2019 10:33 PM

We just did this thread two weeks ago, OP. Did you not search her name before starting this one?

Of course you didn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 30, 2019 10:37 PM

I remember seeing her belt out a number on the tonight show when I was a kid. Her voice was shockingly great. Then she was hilarious in the interview with Johnny Carson. She was one in a million.

by Anonymousreply 23December 30, 2019 10:46 PM

She’s a Teutonic Twat with a hunger for schnitzengruben. Oh, it's twue. It's twue. It's twue.

by Anonymousreply 24December 30, 2019 11:07 PM

A good and thorough biography was published last year. Well-written and edited, but I wish there was more about her personal life.

Unfortunately she was plagued by self-doubts, especially about her looks. She was so horrified by how she looked in What's Up Doc? it drove her into therapy.

I loved her Eunice look, and she easily stole the picture from Babs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 30, 2019 11:42 PM

Classic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2020 4:39 AM

While looking at some of the links in this thread, I came across this--Judy Kaye, soon after she had taken over the role of Lily Garland from Kahn, singing a duet from "On the 20th Century" with her co-star John Cullum.

This is worth seeing just for Ciullum's insane 1978 outfit; but it's also so interesting to hear Kaye sing this song. She was a better singer than Madeline was, and she's a superb comedienne (much better than Kristin Chenoweth), but even so, she still just doesn'thave whatever magic Kahn had when she was at her best.

Hal Prince was always grateful to her for saving the show, though, and gave her the role of Carlotta as a 'thank you' gift. And she was famously the best thing in that show's original production (except for the sets) and won a Tony because of her terrific there-dimensional portrayal of what was written as a two-dimensional character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2020 10:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!