Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which nationality is the friendliest on earth?

Americans are often thought of as being the friendliest nationality and in my experience, I agree.

SURE they might tell you all about their lives giving personal details within 5 minutes of meeting them and it does not mean they're your friends for life, but still, they ARE friendly and will chat with strangers all day long. "What's goin' on wi' yo?"

I think the least friendly are The English (my country) - but they're good if you're in trouble. The Americans are not. Call some emergency number in the USA [bold]freaking out!!! [/bold]and they treat you like some insect and will probably just divert the call without comment.

Which country do YOU nominate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202February 24, 2020 11:25 PM

Brazilians get my vote- you’re always invited to join the party. No one is a stranger for long.

by Anonymousreply 1December 23, 2019 1:48 PM

Irish, of course.

by Anonymousreply 2December 23, 2019 1:52 PM

Filipinos. They'll clean your house and cook for you.

by Anonymousreply 3December 23, 2019 2:08 PM

R1 agree, and by extension, I think most Latin countries are extremely friendly. You’re never really a stranger, merely a friend they’ve never met.

by Anonymousreply 4December 23, 2019 2:10 PM

I'm English but I honestly think it might be the Scots. They're so much friendlier than even northern Brits, who are far nicer than southerners.

by Anonymousreply 5December 23, 2019 2:11 PM

Scots, no question.

by Anonymousreply 6December 23, 2019 2:15 PM

Spain. The Spanish are the most welcoming and genial people on Earth. LOVE THEM.

by Anonymousreply 7December 23, 2019 2:22 PM

[quote]They're so much friendlier than even northern Brits, who are far nicer than southerners.

You're right there, luv...on both counts.

by Anonymousreply 8December 23, 2019 2:22 PM

R3 Thank you for the chuckle

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2019 2:47 PM

Americans are not at all friendly, OP. We're superficial and like to hear ourselves talk is all. And that "Have a nice day" shit we do? Yeah, it's simply persiflage.

I don't think any particular nation is friendly. It's an even split between the false two-faced civility of a place like Japan and the genuine surliness of a place like Russia.

I suppose the Italians are somewhat less toxic than most other places.

by Anonymousreply 10December 23, 2019 3:16 PM

Colombians are probably up there somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 11December 23, 2019 3:19 PM

Brazilians, Venezuelans, Colombians, Irish. Love the parties and everyone is welcome to join!

by Anonymousreply 12December 23, 2019 3:33 PM

Whose nice--the Irish or the Scots?

by Anonymousreply 13December 23, 2019 4:01 PM

Americans are less polite but friendlier than Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 14December 23, 2019 4:02 PM

That should say "who is nicer--the Irish or the Scots?".

by Anonymousreply 15December 23, 2019 4:02 PM

I also feel that the Spaniards are the friendliest, especially the ones in Andalusia. It's part of their culture to socialize, drink, and eat, and they extend that custom to all those visiting their country.

by Anonymousreply 16December 23, 2019 4:06 PM

[quote]Americans are less polite but friendlier than Canadians.

Maybe Americans can be described as more "open" and yes, friendlier than the Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 17December 23, 2019 4:08 PM

R17, I think Canadians will be friendly with people they know but otherwise, they seem cold and reserved. Its like if they break an unspoken rule of society, everything will explode.

by Anonymousreply 18December 23, 2019 4:50 PM

Spanish are much friendlier than they used to be... but Madrid and Malaga are different worlds. Not so friendly in Madrid.

I'll put a vote in for Southeast Asia... the Thais and Cambodians especially.

by Anonymousreply 19December 23, 2019 4:53 PM

Canada

by Anonymousreply 20December 23, 2019 5:25 PM

The lower the literacy rate, the friendlier the nationality.

by Anonymousreply 21December 23, 2019 5:56 PM

[quote] Colombians are probably up there somewhere.

Don't confuse the large number of Colombian whores on Chaturbate as a friendly nation. They just want your tokens.

by Anonymousreply 22December 23, 2019 6:01 PM

I think the perception of Americans being friendly come from those that come from liberal areas.

by Anonymousreply 23December 23, 2019 6:02 PM

Americans from liberal areas* I think most foreigners just see those and don't see the messiness of the suburb and flyovers Americans.

by Anonymousreply 24December 23, 2019 6:05 PM

Spain shocked me with how friendly everybody is. And all the women act like they just stepped out of an Almodovar movie.

by Anonymousreply 25December 23, 2019 6:08 PM

Lol at Americans being the friendliest...

I’d say it’s South Americans. I’m one and growing up even the poorest of the poor tend to be jovial. Christmas time especially. I remember my first Christmas in America. I thought since people were generally richer that their Christmas celebrations would be even bigger but nope. Rich Americans sometimes seem miserable around the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2019 6:14 PM

I don't think Americans are the friendliest, but they are definitely friendlier than other westerners (in my opinion). As a gay POC, I have actually been treated very well in Kansas, of all places. A couple even (secretly) paid for my meal after talking to me.

by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2019 6:18 PM

Friendliness can fluctuate based upon whether those people know or don't know that you're gay.

by Anonymousreply 28December 23, 2019 6:20 PM

Everybody knows it’s the Swiss.

by Anonymousreply 29December 23, 2019 6:22 PM

The French!

by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2019 6:29 PM

R23 - no way. Americans are not friendly in liberal areas! Lol. They are stuck in their phones and really pretend you're not their. They walk over the homeless on the way to a protest. They are super into the eco status with all the teslas and Audis.., not what I'd call friendly. Like neighbors don't speak, on the PT no chatting etc .. compare that with when I go home to family in Ireland everyone stopping to chat in the street, having a laugh so friendly. Or Mexico, Central America, genuinely kind and lovely with time for people. No time in the Bay Area! Work and Make money! That said, Londoners are terribly unfriendly and act like they are the best in the world and still the British Emprie of yore. Not so much up North or in the West Country but the Southern Brits seem to think nothing compares to their smarts and talents.

by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2019 6:32 PM

R31 there not their 😬

by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2019 6:36 PM

The Portuguese, in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2019 6:37 PM

[quote]The French! —LOL

The French can be very civil. They will greet you as you enter a train and very likely make conversation.

When you go into a small shop they will say "Bonjour, Monsieur!" and expect it in return.

You won't get any of that in England, that I promise.

by Anonymousreply 34December 23, 2019 6:37 PM

It's middle eastern countries for hospitality, Latin American/ Mediterranean countries for friendliness and African countries for the joyous people on Earth.

Asian countries are polite, but only the Phillipines and southeast Asian countries mean it.

by Anonymousreply 35December 23, 2019 6:38 PM

[quote]That said, Londoners are terribly unfriendly and act like they are the best in the world

The Cockneys can be very chirpy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 23, 2019 6:40 PM

R31 I hate to say it but I agree. The stereotypical American friendliness is really found in more middle American purple or red states. Though obviously these places have their own issues. The most consistently rude people I've met in the US have been in the solidly democratic Washington DC area and Boston. I don't expect everyone to be bubbly and warm but the lack of basic human courtesy and politeness in these areas is almost unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 37December 23, 2019 6:41 PM

I have studied and worked in international environments, so from the nationsI've met:

FRIENDLIEST Americans: really very chatty, warm and open. Their friendship doesn't go very deep though and can screw you over at the most inappropriate moment without remorse.

Australians: always in chummy mode. Very honest and loud; perhaps a little too loud for me.

Taiwanese: polite and friendly in a quiet way. Very reliable.

UNFRIENDLIEST

Russians, without a doubt. And not because they're not smiley - I'm Eastern European myself and being surly here is considered being a "serious person". No, they're just insular and prefer to communicate only with other Russians. If you talk to them, they will respond but then pretend not to know you the next day.

French: also insular. Refuse to speak any other language than French.

by Anonymousreply 38December 23, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote]French: also insular. Refuse to speak any other language than French.

They've got a chip on their shoulder about English.

by Anonymousreply 39December 23, 2019 6:44 PM

The Irish. Especially at the bar.

by Anonymousreply 40December 23, 2019 6:47 PM

Any white country in general.

by Anonymousreply 41December 23, 2019 7:03 PM

[Quote]French: also insular. Refuse to speak any other language than French.

They still see their language as international as English.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 23, 2019 7:06 PM

Let's ask the really important question here... Which nationality is the friendliest when it comes to presenting hole?!?

by Anonymousreply 43December 23, 2019 7:11 PM

It's a trade off.

The richest countries are unfriendly because to be friendly they might actually part with their money.

Poorer countries are nicer. Whether it's because they have to rely on people or they're not corrupt by money.

by Anonymousreply 44December 23, 2019 7:21 PM

Americans in shithole states will shoot you dead for just asking for direction. How friendly is that!!!

by Anonymousreply 45December 23, 2019 7:46 PM

Africans are extraordinarily nice and friendly

by Anonymousreply 46December 23, 2019 7:49 PM

Splitting the difference and saying Puerto Ricans--a Latino and American--the best of both.

by Anonymousreply 47December 23, 2019 7:55 PM

The friendliest ones also tend to be the most anti-gay ones.

by Anonymousreply 48December 23, 2019 8:01 PM

Turks are super nice (at least as long as you don't bring Armenians or the Kurds up). And I've never been to Persia but all of my friends who've visited it were astonished by how nice everyone was and how people were genuinely interested in them.

And I'm sorry, but I haven't gotten to experience the famous American hospitality yet. To me Americans define fake niceness - sure, there are exceptions, but in most cases there's nothing spontaneous about those overly-bleached smiles of theirs.

by Anonymousreply 49December 23, 2019 8:02 PM

I went to Malaysia once, years ago and the people were adorable - everywhere else I went in the Far East was a disappointment after that.

by Anonymousreply 50December 23, 2019 9:05 PM

Americans are full of shit especially in the North East. Utter cunts in fact. Friendly? 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 51December 23, 2019 9:21 PM

No one has mentioned Australians. Gregarious, welcoming people. At least when they visit NYC. They’re about equal with the Irish.

by Anonymousreply 52December 23, 2019 9:22 PM

Italians can be friendly, if you invite them.

by Anonymousreply 53December 23, 2019 9:27 PM

The Irish. Sincerely kind and truly generous.

by Anonymousreply 54December 23, 2019 9:30 PM

Greeks...they always want you to eat and drink.

by Anonymousreply 55December 23, 2019 9:40 PM

Irish seem like the nicest. Maybe Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 56December 23, 2019 9:42 PM

One of my brothers is a pilot, he's fairly dark skinned (darker than a paper bag) and he said the Spanish are extremely racist. He got nasty looks where ever he went when on layover in Spain. So for a Black person the Spanish are shit.

He said the Irish are incredibly nice. He says they might ask inappropriate questions out of curiosity but they are friendly.

by Anonymousreply 57December 23, 2019 9:50 PM

R57, your brother is correct. My former boyfriend who was black had some racist experiences in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 58December 23, 2019 9:59 PM

Small town America can be friendly but I think English people can be just as nice.

Old people of any nation are usually the nicest ones of all.

by Anonymousreply 59December 23, 2019 11:04 PM

Old people of any nation for the win!

🧓👩‍🦳🧝🎅🤶old people

by Anonymousreply 60December 23, 2019 11:07 PM

I've been to most European countries, the Middle East, Egypt, India, China, and Japan. To be honest, I can't say one country is friendlier than the next. True, some cultures do not embrace a friendly customer service attitude like you'd find in the U.S. I find if you smile and are polite, regardless of where you are, you'll receive a friendly response. Even in France.

by Anonymousreply 61December 23, 2019 11:59 PM

r61 Depends on your skin color.

by Anonymousreply 62December 24, 2019 12:21 AM

Look at all the triggered Americans in the cookie thread complaining about a neighbour dropping off a Christmas present. Friendly, my ass.

by Anonymousreply 63December 24, 2019 12:22 AM

We're not all Americans on this thread, R63 😈

by Anonymousreply 64December 24, 2019 12:32 AM

The Thai or Vietnamese. Also Australians are very kind

by Anonymousreply 65December 24, 2019 2:35 AM

I'll second Brazilians. I live in LA where there are a lot of Brazilians, and I have never met one who wasn't smiling and friendly. Second might be Australians. Filipinos are also very friendly people.

by Anonymousreply 66December 24, 2019 3:01 AM

Uh, I don't think I've met them.

Brazilians are fine, if you're not a woman or a minority. Especially black, but thats not unique to Brazilians. The ones that have money to immigrate probably don't represent all Brazilians.

I don't care how friendly a particular nationality is, I care more about how corrupt their society and systems of government are. Friendliness can sometimes be a prelude to lying, cheating or stealing from you.

If I had to vote, I'd vote England, just because I've known far more English/British people than any other nationality.

by Anonymousreply 67December 24, 2019 4:06 AM

Where in LA are Brazilians found R66?

by Anonymousreply 68December 24, 2019 5:50 AM

MENA countries are the friendliest i’ve been to.

by Anonymousreply 69December 24, 2019 5:55 AM

I don't find Australians friendly. I find them obliviously loud. Americans usually throw a doily of formal etiquette over their behavior. Australians start beating you over the head with mateship two seconds after they see you.

I love Brazil and Brazilians, but they can be just as snobbish and caustic as anyone else. I'd vote for Cubans and Puerto Ricans as being genuinely friendly in that slightly wrecky way only the Caribbean can provide.

Interesting that the Spanish have come up several times. My only experience with Spain was Madrid and I thought the people were very cold. I didn't mind it - I'm a New Yorker - but it was noticeable, even when traveling with people who spoke Spanish fluently. However I suppose it might be an outlier in terms of national behavior.

Paris has always seemed perfectly civil as long as you can master a few formal phrases and apologize, as I must, for my lack of ability with the language otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 70December 24, 2019 6:05 AM

Mexicans.

by Anonymousreply 71December 24, 2019 6:15 AM

PIIGS countries

by Anonymousreply 72December 24, 2019 6:30 AM

Scottish here, Glaswegian. We are known for being very friendly and open, with a great sense of humour. I moved to London in the 90s and was surprised by how indifferent and cold the people were ( white Londoners, everyone else was fine).

It’s true that the further north you go in the UK, the biggest people’s behaviour contrasts with London and the South East. My favourite city is Liverpool. The people are so friendly and very helpful to tourists.

The unfriendliest place I have ever been was Palermo. My husband and I were catcalled in the streets, followed, had offensive gestures directed at us, and in the worst incident, had several people glaring at us through a restaurant window because two men were having dinner together. We are a middle aged couple, and don’t attract attention to ourselves anywhere else. We have travelled all over Italy and never had any trouble. The rest of Sicily is supposed to be much more open and tourist friendly.

by Anonymousreply 73December 24, 2019 6:42 AM

[quote]Africans are extraordinarily nice and friendly

Having worked in Kenya, Rwanda, Zambia and Botswana, this is so true, almost to the point of you getting a culture shock.

As for Americans being friendly, yes if you mean the fake “have nice day” and expensive venneer flash cheeriness that I’ve never bought into.

by Anonymousreply 74December 24, 2019 6:43 AM

Thais. Most of the African continent including black and North Africa with the exception of gangsters, thugs and Islamists who exist in most countries, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 75December 24, 2019 7:02 AM

R73 I remember watching a video of some Liverpool girls ringing up Amy Winehouse's flat and speaking to her through the intercom. They were so nice and told her that their dad drove a taxi like hers.

That bitch should have let those nice girls come up and chat. It would have made their day and Amy would have felt better. Instead she let her scumbag bf give her drugs and OD. What a waste. Locking your self away in a rich place to do drugs that kill you.

by Anonymousreply 76December 24, 2019 2:57 PM

New Yorkers are the cuntiest. We can be friendly but we can also curse you out the next minute.

by Anonymousreply 77December 24, 2019 3:08 PM

Italians are always super-friendly when you are over there, like ask for directions and they'll offer to drive you there friendly.

by Anonymousreply 78December 24, 2019 3:12 PM

Brazilians and Mexicans are assholes.

Puerto Ricans are the nicest people on this side of the planet.

by Anonymousreply 79December 24, 2019 3:20 PM

The ones with the biggest cocks of course!

by Anonymousreply 80December 24, 2019 3:33 PM

Puerto Ricans are racist snobs, constantly lying that their people came from Spain.

by Anonymousreply 81December 24, 2019 3:33 PM

Italians will love you if you have even the most remote connection to being Italian.

Unlike 99% of Americans, I’ve always had good luck with the French, even in Paris. Not usually warm - there is a remove to them - but friendly and engaged.

And here’s one I haven’t seen: Palestinians.

by Anonymousreply 82December 24, 2019 3:34 PM

[quote]The unfriendliest place I have ever been was Palermo. My husband and I were catcalled in the streets, followed, had offensive gestures directed at us, and in the worst incident, had several people glaring at us through a restaurant window because two men were having dinner together.

How dreadful, R73!

by Anonymousreply 83December 24, 2019 3:36 PM

Nigerians are amazing people and breathtakingly gorgeous. The women are queens.

by Anonymousreply 84December 24, 2019 5:10 PM

Yes r84 until they scam you. The biggest thieves and drug dealers in Africa are from Nigeria. Most countries in Africa hate them and want them out.

by Anonymousreply 85December 24, 2019 5:14 PM

Well... I haven't been to large chunks of the earth, but I may go with the Taiwanese, Australians, and possibly Ethiopians as friendliest.

Having spent half my life in the DC area, can confirm it's Asshole Central. Not the only (or most) assholerific place in the world, but it's bad.

by Anonymousreply 86December 24, 2019 5:30 PM

R85. So true. My parents are Nigerians and they always tell me why certain people are not welcomed into their house due to their drug dealings. I have been hearing this since the 80s. Most of those people are either in jail or disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 87December 24, 2019 6:11 PM

I would say that Canadians are more polite than friendly.

by Anonymousreply 88December 24, 2019 6:31 PM

[Quote]One of my brothers is a pilot, he's fairly dark skinned (darker than a paper bag) and he said the Spanish are extremely racist.

R57 I'm black, and I found many of the Spaniards to be very friendly towards me. That said, some of them can be quite racist, and I also experienced that. Unfortunately, we blacks suffer racism in any country that's not black. So, overall, I had a pleasant time in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 89December 24, 2019 6:33 PM

What R88 said.

by Anonymousreply 90December 24, 2019 8:55 PM

Not all liberals are monied, r31.

Nor are they always friendly. My sisters, one of whom is a Berner, are introverts and very reserved (in the older one's case, flat out antisocial), but my conservative aunt is always chattering with someone. My observation is that she's uberfriendly because she loves being in everyone's business and gossiping is one of the few things she excels at.

by Anonymousreply 91December 24, 2019 10:38 PM

[quote] I think the least friendly are The English (my country) - but they're good if you're in trouble.

Interestingly, I think the ones who will do the most to help people out who are in trouble are New Yorkers--and they also have a reputation as the least friendly people in the US.

I find Australians generally the friendliest people, and then the New Zealanders. I was surprised by the friendliness I found in Istanbul and in the Netherlands. I have found the rudest people I've ever met to be Parisians and Romans.

by Anonymousreply 92December 24, 2019 10:51 PM

(It's still sweet old people. Of any nation.)

by Anonymousreply 93December 25, 2019 1:04 AM

Any of the South East Asian nations.

by Anonymousreply 94December 25, 2019 10:01 AM

r39 I was watching a programme on YouTube where they tested random Parisians and their English abilities on the streets and it was surprisingly not good. I thought most of the newer generation, at least, would speak passable English. This got me thinking that maybe the French don't speak English to non-natives because of an insecurity about the language?

I nominate the English. As an American, my experience has always been that the English are super friendly and talkative. That's my experience, from London to the North (very friendly). The Scots are polite, but not necessarily forthcoming as the English. But they're kind (Scots).

Used to be that Middle Easterners were quite friendly but with the world and politics being what they are today, I'd say they're less likely to be forthcoming with strangers due to so much blatant racism, I think.

Mexicans are very friendly. Latin/South Americans can be very friendly, but their friendship doesn't run deep, from my experience.

In Europe, the further East you go, the less friendly.

I find Italians and Spanish very insular. Sure, they'll talk to you, but they don't hide the fact that they'd rather you were one of them. This applies to Italian-Americans, too.

I like Japanese people. They're more quiet in their friendliness, but I like that. Thai and Vietnamese are also friendly. Least friendly are Koreans. Chinese fall in the middle, I guess.

This is all my experience, of course.

by Anonymousreply 95December 25, 2019 10:37 AM

Scots, Spanish and Americans.

But I haven't been to any Asian countries so can't help out there. I have been to Argentina and loved it, but the people left me a bit cold. So can't comment on South America either.

by Anonymousreply 96December 25, 2019 10:41 AM

It’s true that New Yorkers are extremely kind and helpful if you’re not a cunt. I’ve found that about Parisians as well. If you need help, there’s a crowd of people falling all over each other to help. But if you act like an entitled know it all, they’ll tell you to fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 97December 25, 2019 10:58 AM

[quote]Interestingly, I think the ones who will do the most to help people out who are in trouble are New Yorkers--and they also have a reputation as the least friendly people in the US.

NYers UNfriendly?

When I first moved to London from NY, probably before you were born, I remember one nice spring day I walked all over London and didn't speak to a soul, in New York I thought to myself, I would have chatted to folks all day if I had wanted to.

I lived in an apt building in London and had to get used to NOT saying "Hi!" to the other folks waiting for the lift. In New York you always say Hi! on such occasions. Might even have a little conversation.

by Anonymousreply 98December 25, 2019 11:07 AM

Lebanese people are SUPER warm and hospitable. They will go above and beyond to include you.

I'll echo the Brazilians mentions too.

by Anonymousreply 99December 25, 2019 11:14 AM

Americans are gushingly friendly, the exaggeration that is at the core of their appearance of friendliness is usually in exact proportion to the lack of depth that that "friendship" might ever take. I think they genuinely want to appear friendly, just as they genuinely lack the ability to be friendly. Some part of it is a mistaken sense of being benevolent ambassadors (or proud show-offs) to the "We're No. 1" U.S.

They are on the one hand genuinely delighted to have latched onto a foreigner but the other hand is patting his/her back in self-congratulation for their good deed.

It is all about appearances, however. Americans are so afraid of appearing unfriendly that they like on the fake friendliness like beauty pageant contestants.

Spanish, Scottish, and Irish people are much friendlier and genuinely so. English, French, and German people are more helpful than Americans and friendlier, they are just more reserved about starting conversation with a stranger.

by Anonymousreply 100December 25, 2019 11:45 AM

Austrian people.

by Anonymousreply 101December 25, 2019 11:57 AM

On my various European travels I've been helped by the French (once had two young men change a tire for me--I'm a Frau); Belgians (driven to the house of some ex-pat friends, offered newly-bought grocery food on the way); Portuguese (driven back to hotel by the ER doctor who had just treated me and my husband, as he knew of my husband's doctor brother); and Yugoslavians, who, our having worked with their American cousin, invited us into their humble apartment, fed us, and gave us wine to take.

But THE friendliest, with no prior knowledge of us, were Basques! With out a place to stay in Pamplona, a family who owned an inn not only gave us a room, but also invited us to their family home for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 102December 25, 2019 12:12 PM

Americans, Scots, Irish, Italians (especially Italian Americans) have all been super friendly for the most part in my experience . Of course there are exceptions. I’ve lived all over the world and there are friendly people and miserable assholes everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 103December 25, 2019 12:41 PM

I would guess it's between Canadians and Brazilians

by Anonymousreply 104December 25, 2019 12:46 PM

R99 I'm a bit surprised. Many Lebanese are extremely xenophobic and prejudiced to other Arabs.

by Anonymousreply 105December 25, 2019 12:57 PM

R99 Lebanese are the French of the Middle East/Arab world. Not super friendly, but civil enough. I wouldn't say they're very friendly and I've met quite a few...

by Anonymousreply 106December 25, 2019 4:41 PM

Filipinos by far.

by Anonymousreply 107December 25, 2019 10:46 PM

It's the Scots, I'm tellin' ya.

by Anonymousreply 108December 25, 2019 11:05 PM

Nashville, Tennessee - the friendliest city in the US.

by Anonymousreply 109December 25, 2019 11:11 PM

every nationality in the world is friendly as long as you are white and rich...

by Anonymousreply 110December 25, 2019 11:27 PM

[QUOTE]every nationality in the world is friendly as long as you are white and rich...

BINGO!

by Anonymousreply 111December 26, 2019 12:09 AM

R111 not even true. There are people who I can tell don't like me because I am white and resent me for being rich.

by Anonymousreply 112December 26, 2019 9:14 PM

Spain, Greece, Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 113December 26, 2019 9:20 PM

R110 - often true, but not always. If in doubt, try various parts of southern Africa that do or did have substantial white populations.

by Anonymousreply 114December 26, 2019 9:45 PM

"They walk over the homeless on the way to a protest."

R31 - preach!

I'm in Europe right now on vacation. As an American, I do think Americans are probably the friendliest overall. I'll take fake friendliness and good service over a shitty, sour attitude any day. Though R100 is not wrong in his assessment.

I think the the Brits just have this completely constipated demeanor, especially the gays. I would go: American, Irish, Spanish, Mexican

by Anonymousreply 115December 26, 2019 10:32 PM

I love Americans, I'm American, and I've been in 40 out of the 50 states. We've got it all - amazing scenery and friendly people everywhere.

The least friendly, imo, was Florida, and probably for obvious reason. The old are not known for their cheerfulness.

The most friendly, again in my opinion only, was the tri-state area anchored by Philly. Loved just about everyone I met. Except for Bonnie. Bonnie was a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 116December 26, 2019 11:06 PM

R116 This isn't about comparing Americans to Americans. Have you been outside the country?

by Anonymousreply 117December 27, 2019 1:16 AM

[quote][R116] This isn't about comparing Americans to Americans.

Why the fuck not?

by Anonymousreply 118December 27, 2019 1:28 AM

r118 Because the title says "which NATIONALITY" and you're not the OP...

by Anonymousreply 119December 27, 2019 1:32 AM

I've visited around 70 countries. While I agree that US Americans are very friendly, by some distance the friendliest people I have ever met are (and by some distance) Iranians. I spent a month travelling through Iran and would typically have families (sometimes only speaking a few words in English) invite me to join their picnics, running over to greet me with a cool drink or absolutely insisting (over multiple objections) on paying for my meal in a restaurant. So many of them feel very sorry about the image their country has abroad.

They are so, so lovely. I absolutely guarantee that 99% of US Americans and 99% of Iranians, if they could meet socially, would get along famously.

by Anonymousreply 120December 27, 2019 2:10 AM

R120 I remember reading Juliette Binoche, who traveled to Iran, express the same sentiments (sans the American bit).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 27, 2019 2:28 AM

Spaniards can be cunts, especially in Bilbao. Peruvians are the sweetest people on Earth. Thai people are right up there with them.

by Anonymousreply 122December 27, 2019 2:41 AM

I went to a funeral. 99 percent of the people there were Iranians. By the time one of the non Iranians came to leave the house where the afters had been hosted, his shoes had been taken. Someone close to me discovered his shoes were also taken. There were three non-Iranians there and two of us were staying at the house. The other had to walk back to his car in his stockinged feet... The Iranians sure were friendly, though.

by Anonymousreply 123December 27, 2019 4:36 AM

Have never been to the country, but the friendliest neighbor I ever had was Moroccan. His wife would cook these great meals, and he would bring over a serving for me to enjoy. This in backwater Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 124December 28, 2019 1:20 AM

I’ll say the Irish are the friendliest. Even their airport workers and toll booth attendants were happy, helpful and had good attitudes towards everyone.

by Anonymousreply 125December 28, 2019 1:29 AM

R120, I had a flat tire in Los Angeles. An Iranian émigré pulled his car over, changed the tire for me, and afterwards offered to cut my hair (!!). Turns out he owned a salon. Very nice man.

by Anonymousreply 126December 28, 2019 2:55 AM

R120 just wondering when did you visit Iran? Also are you a gay white man? I'm curious

by Anonymousreply 127December 28, 2019 8:21 PM

I live in the westside of LA where there is the largest Iranian population outside Tehran. Iranians here are NOT friendly at all--usually snobbish, materialistic and insular. Maybe they are nicer back home in Tehran. You will find a lot of people in LA who don't like Iranians. In fact it's probably the only ethnic group I tend to dislike, although I try very hard not to dislike people based on their ethnicity. On the other hand, most of the Lebanese I have met here are very warm and friendly (and they have the best middle eastern restaurant food of all the countries in my admittedly limited experience).

by Anonymousreply 128December 28, 2019 10:05 PM

The premise is stupid. Friendliness is subjective. In many places, like the South, it's really about drawing-out people not being nice. Thai smiles are sometimes "dry" (insincere).

by Anonymousreply 129December 28, 2019 10:12 PM

R127 I visited Iran back in the autumn of 2017. I'm an EU citizen, not a US American, and there aren't the same restrictions on my ability to travel there as there are on US Americans - I got 30 days to travel more or less freely around the country, but US citizens can only go as part of a tour group (or at least that was the case back in 2017, an additional two years of Trump may have made it worse now). By the by, this last summer I spent two months in New York pursuing a little project of mine. Since I have visited Iran, as per an Act of Congress I am no longer eligible to enter the United States on the Visa Waiver programme as most EU citizens are. I had to visit the US Embassy in my country to get a special 90-day visa and answer questions about my Iran trip before I could be approved. This is an Obama-era law, btw.

Yes, I am a gay white man. I travelled by myself and wasn't open about my sexuality. However, it's important at this point to mention that many Iranians do not share the views of their government on religion. Many only go through the motions of being faithful and strictly conservative muslims and live their private lives in a different way. Though alcohol is illegal, secret parties where it is consumed illicitly happen, I attended one. Though women are supposed to wear the hijab in public, many do not in private, even in front of strange men. As for homosexuality, though there is a real cultural taboo about it, and other sexual matters, I did meet, and was hosted by, open-minded Iranians who told me they did not have a problem with it. Generally speaking, though not in all cases, if an Iranian lives in a city, is educated, and speaks English, he or she is far more likely to be relatively liberal about these questions.

R128 Have the people you are describing spent all their lives in LA and none in Iran? I feel that you may be describing LA culture rather than Iranian culture.

by Anonymousreply 130December 29, 2019 2:51 AM

r130, that was a lot of blah, blah, blah without saying much concrete. Were the Iranians friendly? Do they wish their government was overthrown in favor of a more Westernized model?

by Anonymousreply 131December 29, 2019 3:19 AM

[quote] Filipinos. They'll clean your house and cook your dog for you.

Fixed it for ya, R3.

by Anonymousreply 132December 29, 2019 3:29 AM

I agree with R122: the Peruvians are the nicest people ever. As awesome as the sites were, the thing I liked the best about the vacation to Peru was the people.

by Anonymousreply 133December 29, 2019 3:30 AM

R131 Are you comprehension challenged? Everything he said made perfect sense

by Anonymousreply 134December 29, 2019 4:31 AM

r128 and r130 I'm from LA though I now live near NYC and the Iranian people in LA are not representative of their countrymen. They are the worst of what's LA plus the worst of their own culture. I went to school with many of them and found them unbearable for many reasons. Think the Shahs of Sunset (or whatever that shit show is on Cohen's network

On the other hand, I've met many natives of Iran (emigrated, not born in the US) on the East Coast of US and they're educated and open minded. Very different to the West coasters.

by Anonymousreply 135December 29, 2019 4:35 AM

Well everyone who moves to LA becomes materialistic and insular - so I think it’s a cause/effect confusion.

by Anonymousreply 136December 29, 2019 4:39 AM

R136 That's not exactly true. It's where people live in LA and what they take away from it. You can meet some really great, down-to-earth people there, but on the surface, LA people can seem like you describe.

by Anonymousreply 137December 29, 2019 4:43 AM

R131 OK it seems like I have to take you by the hand and lead you through my previous posts.

As you'll see when you review what I wrote in R120, yes, the Iranians are very, very friendly.

To be honest, yes, I think that most of the Iranians I spoke to would rather their government were replaced by something like the Western model. Of course that doesn't mean that all of them go to protests or do anything to speak out for political change. Bear in mind that I speak almost no Farsi, so anyone I spoke to in Iran was educated, spoke English and lived in a city - hence that skewed the demographic profile I communicated with.

In fact, I stayed with a host family for a time. The son was very secular and spoke English (he had travelled abroad, liked sleeping around with women, etc). The mother did not speak English and was religious (prayed every day etc). Yet, I got the impression that none of them really liked the current government. But, in countries like this sometimes people get into the habit of keeping their opinions to themselves.

Thanks R134 you put it well :P

by Anonymousreply 138December 29, 2019 4:49 AM

R138 no one you met suspected or at least wondered aloud if you're gay?

by Anonymousreply 139December 29, 2019 4:59 AM

R138 You're so much more patient than me! What's your sign...lol

by Anonymousreply 140December 29, 2019 5:10 AM

Friendly to visitors: Turks, Iranians, northern English, Scottish, Irish, Portuguese, Thais, Colombians, Costa Ricans, west Africans (various except Nigeria)

Friendly to neighbors/coworkers: Spanish, South Africans, Greeks, Colombians, Portuguese, Irish

Gay-friendly: Spanish, Dutch, Kiwis, Canadians, Portuguese, Icelanders

Cunts: middle-class southern English, northern Italians, Australians, Venezuelans, Swiss, Russians, northern Indians, Israelis, Saudis, Argentinians, and most exile/expat communities (Persians in LA, Cubans in Miami, Somalis in MN, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 141December 29, 2019 5:21 AM

R139 It's fairly rare that that happens to me, most people I meet casually assume I'm straight. I just acted the same in Iran as I would have in France or Germany or wherever. But as I said previously one of the younger guys I talked to (straight, liked sleeping around a lot) did tell me he didn't care if I was straight or gay, so liberal attitudes exist.

R140: Thanks, as a university lecturer it's a virtue I've had to cultivate! I'm Sagittarius.

R141, Agree with most of your list of cunts, but I'd add that only upper-class exiled Venezuelans are cunts: but boy are they the toxic and poisonous kind (like Miami Cubans). Whatever you think of the governments of those countries, at least they got rid of the right people.

by Anonymousreply 142December 29, 2019 5:31 AM

R142 Sagittarius is not known for its patience (unless born in November, then it's more the Scorpio influence, I think), so I commend you for being so evolved! I was asked to lecture at several University courses, but had to turn them down as I didn't trust myself enough to not say to a student, "Are you an idiot?!" You gotta know your own limits. ;)

I can only aspire to be like you. Carry on, my good man.

by Anonymousreply 143December 29, 2019 5:38 AM

What about Puerto Ricans? Are they friendly?

by Anonymousreply 144December 29, 2019 5:39 AM

"as I didn't trust myself enough to not say to a student, "Are you an idiot?!""

ahahahahahahaha! I am nice in person but sometimes when marking papers at 3AM I get a little snippy. I did ask a student once whether autocorrect was responsible for the mistakes in her French language composition: I couldn't believe that she couldn't really conjugate 'avoir' correctly. Later that term, on her feedback form she wrote that my 'sarcastic comments weren't helpful'. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 145December 29, 2019 5:41 AM

Singto Prachaya is Thai, so it has to be Thai.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 29, 2019 5:51 AM

R145 3 am and just a little snippy = angelic in my book! I found your comment to your student hilarious and were I also that same student, I'd have laughed and said, "Oh, shit" because you're right, of course! That student clearly can't conjugate verbs or appreciate well-placed sarcasm.

My Sagittarius friends make me laugh a lot because of their directness, which I appreciate so much in a person. But that level of honesty is not for everyone (their loss), and I should know: I'm an Aries. lol

Between us, you're the nicer one FOR SURE. I will continue to aspire to become more evolved like you, though I already kind of know I've lost the battle. ;)

by Anonymousreply 147December 29, 2019 5:58 AM

[quote] I think they genuinely want to appear friendly, just as they genuinely lack the ability to be friendly.

R100, I don't disagree with the core of your assessment, but we treat each other the same way. It has nothing to do with being a foreigner. We smile a lot and are superficially chatty, but we don’t make friends easily. At heart, most Americans are pretty reserved and will run the other way if they perceive that you are trying to make friends or "get personal" at first meeting. Americans know these rules and generally follow them unless they’re crazy or criminal. We’re not faking anything or being insincere. It’s our natural way of dealing with strangers, be they American or foreign.

Maybe it's about definitions. To an American, "being friendly" means, above all, smiling; we are also expected to use a pleasant tone of voice and be willing to chat briefly with a stranger. That's it and nothing more. When a restaurant is described as having friendly service, the reviewer doesn't mean the waiters become socially friendly with the patrons. Perhaps to other nationalities "being friendly" means a willingness to make friends - real friends - with many people. That's not the American way.

by Anonymousreply 148December 29, 2019 7:20 AM

Filipinos…hands down. Honorable mention: Mexicans and Italians.

by Anonymousreply 149December 29, 2019 6:46 PM

No one mentioned us as either friendly or not!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 150December 29, 2019 7:15 PM

Czechs were dour.

by Anonymousreply 151December 29, 2019 7:28 PM

Friendliness is very subjective. Just cause some are reserved doesn't mean they're unfriendly. And sometimes the friendliness is a cover for internal problems. Sometimes people confuse friendliness for open-mindedness. Some people can be friendly to one group but not another.

by Anonymousreply 152December 29, 2019 7:32 PM

Because all of you are neither, R150. Polite enough but cold and insular.

by Anonymousreply 153December 29, 2019 7:39 PM

I don't really think it's a fair contest, as we'll be perceived differently for who we happen to be. The differences in regions within one country are certainly true.

I can speak to finding Persian people quite friendly, and very generous insofar as feeding and entertaining their guests. In my experience, they are genuinely warm people. I have met several since moving to the States. My interactions with them have mainly been initiated through business. There was no difference between the younger ones who were more western, and educated here in the west, versus their older relatives.

I've found Turkish people to be genuinely friendly and helpful as well, during my holidays. Moroccans have been truly friendly as well during my visits. These three strike me as the most memorable, as I really wasn't expecting it. I also happen to be gay and Jewish, which I would have initially thought to be somewhat a barrier.

by Anonymousreply 154December 29, 2019 7:49 PM

R154 as a gay Jew you visited Turkey and Morocco? or you met them elsewhere

by Anonymousreply 155December 29, 2019 8:03 PM

Czechs are rude.

by Anonymousreply 156December 29, 2019 8:58 PM

US citizens overseas are the most polite.

by Anonymousreply 157December 29, 2019 9:00 PM

New Zealanders are the friendliest.

by Anonymousreply 158December 29, 2019 9:32 PM

Canadians

by Anonymousreply 159December 29, 2019 9:41 PM

Singto!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 29, 2019 10:07 PM

R155 I went to Morocco the first time in 1989, liked it so much, I've gone again in 1996, and 2009. I've been to Turkey twice, 2004, and 2013. I'd reccommend both destinations to anyone really.

by Anonymousreply 161December 29, 2019 11:09 PM

My friend from the UK asked me if it was true that Americans will speak to their neighbors, say hellos to one another just walking on the street and will randomly stop into each other's homes just to check in like on American tv shows.

I explained that it really depends on where you live. It's less likely in the big cities and more likely in middle America. I added that I grew up in a place like that. Everyone was friendly and people who didn't know you from meeting you knew who you were or had zero problems stopping to talk to you to ask about your day. Neighbors would regularly drop by and waltz right on into our home. If someone died, everyone brought food over even if you didn't really know the person. If you did anything bad, someone would call your parents because they somehow always knew your parents even if you didn't know them.

He was flabbergasted.

by Anonymousreply 162December 29, 2019 11:32 PM

Mexicans are only nice to those they perceive as higher up than them, in other words, white americans . Mexicans treat other brown people -and specially black people- like shit.

by Anonymousreply 163December 30, 2019 1:00 AM

Middle America is not particularly friendly if you are 'ethnic' looking.

by Anonymousreply 164December 30, 2019 8:51 AM

R162 - the same behavior is seen in Ireland. Very friendly - but also reserved and humble. A good combination.

by Anonymousreply 165December 30, 2019 6:28 PM

I’ve never been to Ghana, but I worked with many Ghanaians when I lived in London. They were all charming, even-tempered, positive and exceptionally friendly. It must be their culture because it was across the board. I’m a mental health nurse, and I would add that they were highly professional and very kind to patients.

by Anonymousreply 166December 30, 2019 7:33 PM

If you are white, Brazilians are super friendly. Last time I was there, Rio Olympics 2016 (By the way I am a white Brazilian, born in the USA.) I met a group of gay African-Americans out at a gay bar, they were on vacation for the Olympics, and they were told me how awful they were being treated. I told them, ironically most Brazilians are a mix of European and African. But if you look white, you’re “white” if you look dark and look African you’re treated like shit.

by Anonymousreply 167December 30, 2019 8:22 PM

^ Brazil is a hot, backward mess!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 31, 2019 6:37 PM

Brazilians call whitening "improving the race" and black Brazilians have not only bought into it but actively enforce it. Brazil can go to hell with their fake, racist friendliness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169December 31, 2019 6:43 PM

R169 That woman is gorgeous. I never knew this about Brazil, how sad.

by Anonymousreply 170January 1, 2020 9:32 PM

So much of our perception of others' friendliness or unfriendliness is based on the culture we ourselves grew up in. I think this a lot when I hear of people complaining the French are rude. They just have different cultural norms around politeness, I've found. It's more old world, I guess you could say. It's considered rude to put yourself into another's space for example, so when French people keep their distance a bit on first meeting you it's because they're being respectful and polite. And they expect the same in return, so a tourist running up to them on the street and loudly asking: "Excuse me, but how do you get to...?" can't be surprised if the French person turns around and sarcastically responds: "Hello! How are you?" So many cases of "the French are rude" could be alleviated if tourists just started off any interaction with "Bonjour!"/"Bonjour, ça va?" etc.

It's true as mentioned above that the French in general don't tend to have as great a command of English as people think, and are very nervous to use it. It's also kind of odd to consider English speaking as a sign of politeness. English speakers themselves aren't considered great linguists by a long shot.

I always think going to another country is really just like going into another person's house. It's better to be tentative at first and just observe what's going on around you, how the people are and then let the people guide you as to what is the best way to behave. People love it when you show respect to them and will open up a lot quicker.

Based on my own experience, I will add that I often tell people I'm pretty sure you could go to Turkey and not book any accommodation; just turn up, get chatting et voilà! There's your accommodation for the duration of your trip.

by Anonymousreply 171February 18, 2020 10:09 PM

Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 172February 18, 2020 10:17 PM

The Saudis. They'll slaughter you with a smile on their faces. It doesn't get much friendlier than that.

by Anonymousreply 173February 18, 2020 11:50 PM

I work in tourism - the French tourists are nearly always rude, but I do think it's cultural. They don't acknowledge you when you greet them and push in a lot. They probably think we are too friendly so it will go both ways.

by Anonymousreply 174February 19, 2020 1:38 AM

Yeah, French customer service is pretty terrible in their own country; that's probably what they expect when they travel elsewhere. I bet New Zealand would really shock them. My entire time there I was on cloud 9 because you guys are so frigging nice.

by Anonymousreply 175February 19, 2020 1:52 AM

Ethiopians are super nice, funny, hospitable and put one at ease.

by Anonymousreply 176February 19, 2020 2:02 AM

I hate Americans & I'm American. So parochial & provincial, badly educated. I hate “have a blessed day,” “good job!” and participation awards just for being alive. Homophobic, misogynist, looks-obsessed, reality tv culture, a reality tv criminal admired by half the country. I’m always hearing people making rightwing, pro-trump statements for no reason at all except to elicit reactions. Bitches, shut your mouth about your politics, I don’t want to hear it. I hear people in places where I can’t believe they are saying the things they say. Five years ago they would never talk it behave like that.

Fuck off, America. I wish I could emigrate but I'm too old. No country would take someone my age because they have free health care systems that I didn’t contribute to.

by Anonymousreply 177February 19, 2020 2:12 AM

Thanks R175 - I have wondered if that was the case - it would explain a lot.

by Anonymousreply 178February 19, 2020 4:11 AM

Filipinos! If you say hello, they are instantly your friend and want to know everything about you.

by Anonymousreply 179February 19, 2020 4:26 AM

My best friend works at for a major airline and works in the check in at a major US international airport and she gets to deal with people from all over the world and she and her co-workers all agree that the nicest people in general are the Canadians, she says their like Americans BUT without the narcissism and sense of entitlement.

by Anonymousreply 180February 19, 2020 5:43 AM

This is sexuality dependant, so... probably Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 181February 19, 2020 6:02 AM

R171, I agree; it is cultural. For example, anyone going up to a stranger in America and saying, "hello! How are you?" ("bonjour. Ça va?") will be greeted with suspicion at best, as only lunatics and people who want to sell you something do this. It's perfectly normal and acceptable here to approach a stranger and say, without a greeting but with a smile, "excuse me. Sorry to bother you. Can you tell me where ... is?" - although, nowadays, they'll wonder why you don't just look on your phone.

Similarly, in America, being friendly (not friends, just friendly) is a cultural norm in most places. We smile a lot. We're not trying be BFFs; it's just that we think it's rude not to treat strangers in a friendly way. People who come from cultures where you only smile and chat with people you want to get to know better find this "fake", but there's no false intention behind it. It's our way of being "nice", which is a highly valued trait in American culture. Anyone taking such friendliness as an overture to true friendship is bound to be disappointed because we don't readily befriend strangers here.

by Anonymousreply 182February 19, 2020 6:35 AM

[quote] Filipinos! If you say hello, they are instantly your friend and want to know everything about you.

They also want to rob you blind.

by Anonymousreply 183February 19, 2020 9:48 PM

Any american. Even Chileans and Canadians are more outgoing and friendly than the nations of Europe and Asia who stand on ceremony

by Anonymousreply 184February 19, 2020 9:52 PM

R180. Nope. I had a customer service job answering Canadian phone calls and they were exactly like Americans, just different accent. The bitchiest ones were from Toronto and I had a guy from Vancouver use the F word with me.

by Anonymousreply 185February 19, 2020 9:53 PM

Canadians are Americans with Fargo accents.

by Anonymousreply 186February 19, 2020 10:26 PM

Only the ones who live on reserves, R186.

by Anonymousreply 187February 19, 2020 10:43 PM

Malawians in my experience. And Greeks.

by Anonymousreply 188February 19, 2020 10:49 PM

I have to say Germany, because when I was living there ( I was a pretty nice kid though), they were extremly friendy and bought me sweets.

Well, the most friendly, warm, funny and extra loud people I've ever met, live in Georgia. Bright sparks. You can ask a stranger how to get to the certain place and suddenly you realise you're drinking with them as a honor guest at smb's wedding.

Slovenia. After my visit to Slovenia I'm 100% sure what "slavic soul" in good sence of this term.

Albania. Very nice.

Not that friendly

Chinese. I'd say they're all racists for a bit. Not friendly, not easy-going. I've been learning with them for 5 years. Aloof and arrogant.

French. Perhaps, it's only my personal experience, but very nazi-oiented and arrogant.

by Anonymousreply 189February 19, 2020 11:19 PM

Egyptians.

by Anonymousreply 190February 19, 2020 11:28 PM

[quote]Maybe it's about definitions. To an American, "being friendly" means, above all, smiling; we are also expected to use a pleasant tone of voice and be willing to chat briefly with a stranger. That's it and nothing more. When a restaurant is described as having friendly service, the reviewer doesn't mean the waiters become socially friendly with the patrons. Perhaps to other nationalities "being friendly" means a willingness to make friends - real friends - with many people. That's not the American way.

[quote]People who come from cultures where you only smile and chat with people you want to get to know better find this "fake", but there's no false intention behind it. It's our way of being "nice", which is a highly valued trait in American culture. Anyone taking such friendliness as an overture to true friendship is bound to be disappointed because we don't readily befriend strangers here.

The points about Americans in R148 and R182 are insightful, but I would add that Americans talk a great deal about friends and friendship out of all proportion to reality. I used to think the effusive suggestions that "I just know we're going to be the best of friends!" was a syrupy sweet Southern thing (the old adage about a Southerner being famously quick to invite you to their house -- and famously slow to reveal his address), but I see Americans from all over do it with foreigners often, even more than with fellow Americans. And not just in the context of being introduced to someone at a party or a casual conversation among strangers who engage in some sort of conversation in a public space. Surely this is well (if hollowly) intentioned as a sort of welcoming gesture, but its easy to see why a lot of Europeans like Americans at first and then dismiss them as "fake nice."

Europeans have larger, broader networks of friends and depending on where they are from they make time for friends in ways that seem odd to Americans. A Mediterranean who runs into a casual acquaintance in the street may invite the other (and any friends or family in tow) for a drink; and actually be disappointed if the other cannot join him. An American in that situation would more likely bare his teeth in a big glitteringly white smile and say "Hey, great to see you!" without slowing down for even half a second. Closer friends an American may stop for, but fleetingly - there's always some dry cleaning that has to be picked up, so shopping that couldn't possibly wait, some place one has to be. Americans have very segregated sets of friends: from work, neighbors, friends of friends, people they see repeatedly in some other context, and somewhere a small core group of friends for whom they actually care a bit, but for all but they last they will lavish the exaggerated pleasure signals and best frenemy platitudes and vague plans to make some vague plans that never happen and then flee as if they had left something cooking on the stove at home, always in a hurry to conclude and dispense with all of the people they are so very glad to see.

Americans don't make friends easily or suddenly, but they do make a huge great show of how friendly they are. Not just helpful, but friendly - or rather friendly appearing. That is what puzzles foreigners other people unaccustomed to such effusiveness at a purely surface level. (Why was that woman fawning over me all night at that party? And why is it that she barely nods when I see her on the street after?) It's a small wonder that Americans find everyone else is unfriendly (or some degree of French, maybe), or that they feel neglected when the residents of other countries fail to stop everything and gush over how lucky they are that Americans have deigned to visit their quaint lands.

by Anonymousreply 191February 20, 2020 11:59 AM

[quote]Maybe it's about definitions. To an American, "being friendly" means, above all, smiling; we are also expected to use a pleasant tone of voice and be willing to chat briefly with a stranger. That's it and nothing more.

I love R148 - & I never say I LURVE people all the time - the way Americans do.

by Anonymousreply 192February 20, 2020 8:17 PM

I've written this before -

But when I was an sociable (English) teenager I used to travel to Italy and places with my Dad and I'd meet rich Americans in fancy hotels and I loved New York and would tell them so (and they were very flattered) and we might hang out with them a bit over the trip and they'd say you must come to stay with us in New York and I'd believe them!..and sometimes the big day would come and they'd back out...there was I, age 16 in circa 1979, at JFK, wondering what the fuck I'm going to do.

This sort of thing happened a few times over the years until the penny finally dropped.

In fact I was watching a TV drama recently and this "warm" American lady had just been introduced to these people, her new in-laws, who said they'd never been to Seattle where she came from and immediately "You must come to stay with us!" - she'd known them three minutes!

I wish I had known the expression "Gurl, NO!" back then. Thanks, DL - I'll be better prepared for America when I next return.

by Anonymousreply 193February 20, 2020 8:34 PM

In my experience so far the friendliest have been the Hungarians. Relaxed and fun with openness to getting to know new faces and learn about foreigners. They’re proud of their country and that is clear, but they seem to want to offer this feeling to others in a pleasant and genuinely jovial way. They appreciate it when you try to speak their tongue, and will share whatever they have materially (sometimes little) with total strangers. The shopkeepers and waiters will chat to you for long minutes out of their working day without expectation of tips then remember your name and face a week later, and people passing in the street will smile at you or call out friendly funny things if they notice you’re looking lost. Even the little kids roaming around on bikes or skateboards are sweet and polite and engaging rather than annoying. I felt so at home in Budapest even being there for the first time over the course of just ten days.

Neutral are the native Dutch & Germans. Smart, generous helpful, patient and thoroughly decent sorts on the whole, but they won’t bother welcoming you to their community in a warm fuzzy way and they don’t care about getting to know you or settling you in. In their eyes it’s your responsibility to set up, build and maintain relationship with them if you want one - and even then, if there’s one little thing they dislike about you they’ll promptly notify you and dismiss your petition for friendship. I admire their frankness, assertiveness and self-sufficiency personally but I do understand how it comes off as rude or cold or mean to naturally warmer cultures.

Unfriendliest, or at least outwardly so, have been the Icelandic. I found that if you’re a native English speaker and approach they won’t communicate, but rather nod cautiously at whatever you say or sign and look at you askance as if you’re a hostile alien they need to placate. It’s very odd and isolating. Perhaps it’s a cultural barrier, or otherwise they’ve heard truly horrific propaganda about Anglos. I didn’t like Kiwis much at all, either, and find them insular and judgemental (in comparison to Brits, even) which a tendency to passive-aggressiveness and obfuscating stupidity - though this refers to the expats and white colonial population rather than the Maori who are lovely. I also concur that the French are deliberately obtuse and cunty toward foreigners like it’s a full-time job, but I’m a Brit so of course it’s understandable they’d behave like that toward me.

I haven’t yet been to any Latin, Mediterranean or African countries, but my very sociable well-travelled mother tells me that her favourite people on Earth are Andalusians, Cypriots and Kenyans (and that she can’t abide Sicilians or Bahrainis).

by Anonymousreply 194February 20, 2020 8:44 PM

Just back from Cape Verde and they are pretty friendly (if you are white and spending money, same as anywhere). They hate the very dark Senegalese who come over to work though.

by Anonymousreply 195February 20, 2020 9:16 PM

Danes and southern Spaniards were the friendliest people I met in my various travels in Europe. Of course some Italians are very friendly. I've heard Portuguese people are nicer than Spaniards but haven't been there. Here in LA where I live, Brazilians stand out as being universally smiling and extroverted.

by Anonymousreply 196February 22, 2020 10:53 PM

Thailand is supposedly the "land of smiles" but that is actually only because they will rob you blind the first chance they get.

by Anonymousreply 197February 23, 2020 12:34 AM

Yes, Americans are the kings of fake nice but id' rather experience fake nice than authentic rudeness.

Besides, not everyone can do fake nice properly. Natural born cunts like the people from India, China, Middle East and Mexico just cant pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 198February 23, 2020 2:47 AM

British people can't pull off 'fake nice' either, well not convincingly to other Brits

The Maltese are the surliest European nation by far, they also say horrible things about tourists to each other (usually in front of the tourist) because they don't think they understand the language. I usually surprise them.

by Anonymousreply 199February 24, 2020 11:00 PM

Re r199: Maybe it depends on how many foreign languages you know. You think such and such is the friendliest place in the world but maybe those nice Hungarians or Filipinos (as random examples touted in this thread), are also saying horrible things about you behind their smiling faces. I wouldn't be surprised. In the Trump era, probably most people hate Americans. And the term "Ugly American" has been around since at least 1958, when the book with that title was published.

by Anonymousreply 200February 24, 2020 11:14 PM

Czechs!

by Anonymousreply 201February 24, 2020 11:18 PM

R200 I lived in Malta, Turkey and Italy for a couple of years each when I was a kid (my Dad worked for the Foreign Office) so I speak a couple of languages and I've never encountered anyone as bad as The Maltese, they call tourists a cunt to their face.

by Anonymousreply 202February 24, 2020 11:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!