Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Criterion Releases Barbra Streisand’s The Prince of Tides on Blu-ray

For her acclaimed second feature as a director, Barbra Streisand crafted a sumptuous, emotionally wrenching adaptation of Pat Conroy’s best-selling novel—which she also produced and starred in. Summoned to New York after his sister attempts suicide, Tom Wingo (Nick Nolte) must serve as her memory, reckoning with the traumas of their southern childhood so that her psychiatrist, Dr. Susan Lowenstein (Streisand), can help her recover. But Tom’s sessions with Lowenstein will plunge him into the depths of his own long-repressed pain—and reawaken the possibility of love within him. Nominated for seven Academy Awards, including best picture and best actor for Nolte’s soulful performance, The Prince of Tides is a life-affirming tale of healing and renewal from a triple-threat filmmaker with a keen and humane insight into her characters’ sorrows, joys, and yearnings.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Barbra Streisand, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray Audio commentary featuring Streisand, recorded in 1991 and updated in 2019 Making-of featurette from 1991 Excerpt from a 2018 interview with Streisand, conducted by filmmaker Robert Rodriguez on El Rey Network’s The Director’s Chair Audition and rehearsal footage Deleted scenes and alternate takes Costume and makeup tests Alternate end credits with vocal performance by Streisand Behind-the-scenes footage Gag reel Production-stills gallery and other archival materials Interview with author Pat Conroy from a 1992 episode of Cinema Showcase with Jim Whaley Interview with Streisand from a 1992 episode of the British television show Aspel & Company with Michael Aspel Trailers PLUS: An essay by film historian Bruce Eder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 30, 2020 3:45 AM

Nick Nolte in HD! Right on.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2019 10:30 PM

How does someone direct themselves in a movie? Like do they just run back and forth from the camera to the set?

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2019 10:34 PM

This means Armageddon is no longer the crappiest film to get a Criterion release.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2019 10:38 PM

Lotsa great films are awaiting their remastered bluray releases, and Criterion released this self-indulgent snoozefest tripe? Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2019 10:41 PM

Haha, Blueray is so 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2019 10:42 PM

The most important part of the announcement...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2019 10:45 PM

R5, it still is better quality than streaming due to the robust bit rate. Also, as more and more streaming platforms pop up, it’s going to be harder and harder to watch films unless you subscribe to 20 of them.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2019 10:48 PM

Not to mention R7, titles can be removed from a streaming service at any time. A blu-ray or a DVD stays on your shelf.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2019 10:51 PM

It's weird that they used the film's official poster on the cover, because Criterion almost always comes up with artwork of its own. Babs probably forbade them from using anything other than the poster she okayed back in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2019 10:55 PM

PoT is another ghastly ego trip by The Nails.

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2019 10:57 PM

Kate Nelligan was great in the movie. She's about the only one.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2019 11:02 PM

R5 is so obese and obtuse.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2019 11:04 PM

ZZZZzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2019 11:05 PM

Robert Rodriguez interviewing Streisand? What an odd pairing.

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2019 11:10 PM

There's not enough quality filters in the world to make those two ugly asses look good.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2019 11:17 PM

Yes, yes. It’s all a rich tapestry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2019 11:19 PM

Nick Nolte was fantastic and should have won the Oscar. Particularly as he was dealing with this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2019 11:28 PM

This film REEKS.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2019 11:31 PM

R5 thinks he's saying something cool and relevant by putting down Blu-ray and clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2019 8:13 PM

I'm assuming Babs herself wrote the first sentence in OP's description. I can't imagine those words coming out of anyone else's mouth.

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2019 8:29 PM

I rewatched this recently (not on bluray, sorry) and was very disappointed - it does not hold up. It's got Spielberg's touch all over it, she's out of control with the nails, and he tries to give a good performance. Former poster noting Kate Nelligan is correct - she's the best thing in the movie. What happened to her?

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2019 8:39 PM

That said, Babs looked about as good as she's ever looked in the film. Great wardrobe (for the time period). Made the most of her tits and legs, two of her best features.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2019 8:49 PM

My favorite Barbra look was What's Up Doc? The freewheelin hippy chick suited her.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2019 4:51 PM

This is an odd choice for a Criterion release. I know they're trying to be inclusive to female directors, but this was just a vanity project.

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2019 4:56 PM

OP, your cut and paste skills suck donkey dick.

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2019 5:05 PM

“How does someone direct themselves in a movie? More like “how does someone miscast themselves... “

Babs as a therapist? Almost as misguided as deciding she should play a high-class hooker. Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2019 5:13 PM

I miss how people who weren’t classically beautiful could carry a movie not too long ago. Now no woman with that honker would get a lead romantic role in a movie. People just didn’t care and judge as much then.

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2019 5:15 PM

This is a massive guilty pleasure of mine. Pre-ordered on Blu-ray!

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2019 5:30 PM

I loved that film but I walked out first time I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2019 5:46 PM

When she goes into the Criterion Closet, this is the only thing she will put in the bag. All of the copies in the closet, into the bag.

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2019 5:47 PM

The greatest Criterion Collection edition since my masterpiece TINY FURNITURE was consecrated for generations of cinephiles!

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2019 5:52 PM

Jane Fonda would've been better in this role, instead of Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2019 6:19 PM

Behind the scenes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2019 6:23 PM

I love this song. It will be in the new release. Barbra decided not to include her vocals to the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2019 6:30 PM

oh god

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2019 6:31 PM

Since no one else has asked...

When is "Dawson's 50-Load Weekend" getting a Criterion edition...???

by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2019 7:08 PM

Lowenstein should have been played by Barbara Hershey. She looked like the character as described in the book, and she's a better actress than Streisand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2019 7:57 PM

R31... “Lens” Dunham?? FAIL

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2019 8:14 PM

R38 doesn't . . . get it.

by Anonymousreply 39December 20, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote]How does someone direct themselves in a movie? Like do they just run back and forth from the camera to the set?

Exactly ,there is a video camera locked with the camera and when the take is done the star/director can see how the take looks. But stars have been directing themselves since the beginning like Charlie Chaplin in silents.

by Anonymousreply 40December 20, 2019 3:20 AM

[quote]It's weird that they used the film's official poster on the cover, because Criterion almost always comes up with artwork of its own. Babs probably forbade them from using anything other than the poster she okayed back in 1991.

True they rarely get original art and they are absolutely terrible in the new art work they do produce. None of their titles have better art than the original.

by Anonymousreply 41December 20, 2019 3:26 AM

I don't remember being wrenched. It was campy fun though. Wasn't this the one where Barbra tries to catch a football and examines her manicure after she fumbles it?

by Anonymousreply 42December 20, 2019 3:34 AM

R42 yes. Oh my nails!

by Anonymousreply 43December 20, 2019 8:25 AM

The best parody of Bsbs and her self-directed vanity films

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 20, 2019 8:46 AM

^Babs

by Anonymousreply 45December 20, 2019 8:50 AM

No.te would have won Oscar if they didn’t suddenly switch Anthony Hopkins from Silenceof the Lambs to lead.

by Anonymousreply 46December 20, 2019 9:32 AM

My favorite scene is when Nolte's character threatens to throw her husband's "fiddle" over the balcony. Babs had to have herself portrayed as the woman he never forgets.

by Anonymousreply 47December 20, 2019 10:51 AM

I would like to have seen Valerie Harper in the lead role. She was an excellent actress in drama as well as comedy, and I wish she had gotten a good big screen role. Valerie had sex appeal too, and was so much better than Babs in many ways. I've read over the years that Streisand had a weird rivalry with Valerie, so it would never have happened.

by Anonymousreply 48December 20, 2019 11:06 AM

When will they get to Nuts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 20, 2019 11:15 AM

The should do Yentl also ....

by Anonymousreply 50December 20, 2019 12:00 PM

Barbra already did a Yentl DVD with bonus features and an audio commentary, and Nuts has a partial commentary I think.

by Anonymousreply 51December 20, 2019 12:16 PM

YENTL is currently up on the Criterion Channel in a curated (dread word!) series about the "ache of same-sex desire." Michael Koresky and another critic attempt to laud it to the skies. But it stinks.

by Anonymousreply 52December 20, 2019 12:21 PM

In your opinion,dear. In your opinion

by Anonymousreply 53December 20, 2019 12:30 PM

"Yentl" is actually a very fine award winning film. First rate cast, gorgeous cinematography and beautiful music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 20, 2019 4:16 PM

R34, than you for that. Beautiful song and at her vocal peak in her late 40s.

Whitney stan(s) on this thread, and I am in great sympathy for you (and us) for losing her and her talent (voice) prematurely- she was 47 when she died. She should have been at her vocal peak expanding and stretching her great talent. Ditto Garland who also died at 47 and had long lost her voice. Judy still managed to record some great songs perhaps because she started so early and toured so extensively- Whitney not so much, like Ronstadt and Streisand have done in long healthy lives and careers. Now Linda has been silenced. Aretha sort of was on and off- big period of off when smoking and drinking got in the way- she got better again, but never as good as prior. They are all great- and others too. But a few are also tragic.

by Anonymousreply 55December 20, 2019 4:49 PM

Yentl came out in 1983 making her 39 at the release.

by Anonymousreply 56December 20, 2019 11:13 PM

[quote]r54 "Yentl" is actually a very fine award winning film. First rate cast, gorgeous cinematography [bold]and beautiful music.[/bold]

That all sounds the same

by Anonymousreply 57December 20, 2019 11:18 PM

When will The Mirror Has Two Faces get the Criterion treatment?

by Anonymousreply 58December 20, 2019 11:21 PM

You mean [italic]The Mirror Has Two Filters?

by Anonymousreply 59December 20, 2019 11:27 PM

That movie was so bad.

by Anonymousreply 60December 20, 2019 11:34 PM

It's somewhat difficult to pick Babs' worst movie - -

by Anonymousreply 61December 20, 2019 11:35 PM

Mirror is Barbra's egomaniacal masterpiece. Filmed in Nail-O-Rama and co-starring the greatest cunt of all as the most beautiful mother in the universe. God did I scream with joy when Juliette Binoche got that Oscar over her!

by Anonymousreply 62December 20, 2019 11:36 PM

The movie's built on such a stupid premise, too. WHY does he agree to marry her again? It's not like he needs a green card. And why is he such a eunuch?

It's just weird.

by Anonymousreply 63December 20, 2019 11:39 PM

One wonders how Barbra's career would've gone if she hadn't been so up her own ass and really went out there and took risks.

by Anonymousreply 64December 20, 2019 11:44 PM

I made the mistake of reading the novel after seeing the movie. Other than Nick Nolte's performance, the film fell short. Just like Spielberg's film of THE COLOR PURPLE. The lead actor was the best thing about the film, the rest of it some soft focus Hallmark bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 65December 20, 2019 11:46 PM

[quote] [R31]... “Lens” Dunham?? FAIL

Newbie, "Lens" has been her standard nickname here literally for years now.

Go somewhere else. No one wants you here.

by Anonymousreply 66December 20, 2019 11:46 PM

[quote] I miss how people who weren’t classically beautiful could carry a movie not too long ago.

***ahem***

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 20, 2019 11:48 PM

I love Barbra to death but I suspect Mirror was the first film her Hollywood friends didn’t help her. All her films have Some entertainment merit although Prince is a good film the subject matter doesn’t make me want to see multiple times. Mirror is probably her worst film and about the only time Bridges wasn’t good only because the way his character was written.

by Anonymousreply 68December 20, 2019 11:49 PM

I think Mirror’s aim was a return to comedy which she excels at but she had to have typical dramatic crying scenes.

by Anonymousreply 69December 20, 2019 11:52 PM

9quote]God did I scream with joy when Juliette Binoche got that Oscar over her!

And that's why you can't get a date, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 70December 21, 2019 12:01 AM

^ Darling, I'm married. I don't need dates.

by Anonymousreply 71December 21, 2019 12:04 AM

The original French film sounds so much darker. [italic]Whose idea was it to remake it??[/italic]

[quote]Pierre Tardivet, a professor, marries Marie-José Vauzange, a sensitive and intelligent girl who is physically unattractive. Tardivet soon begins to treat Marie-José cruelly, making her life very unpleasant and joyless. Two children are born out the marriage. Then, Tardivet suffers a car accident and is tended by Dr. Bosc, a famous plastic surgeon. Bosc operates on Marie-José and transforms her into a beautiful woman. Tardivet then begins to treat her even more cruelly. He becomes embittered and hateful towards Marie-José because her changed appearance makes him think she is no longer his. Marie-José and her sister's husband, Gérard Durieu, want to elope and restart their lives, but they are stopped when Pierre Tardivet kills Dr. Bosc. This dramatic act recalls Marie-José to her duties as a wife and mother, and she renounces her happiness to tend to her husband and children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 21, 2019 12:10 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 21, 2019 12:12 AM

She's wearing support hose at R17, right?

by Anonymousreply 74December 21, 2019 12:14 AM

Betty Joan Perske is [italic]pissed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 21, 2019 12:14 AM

BAB should make a sci-fi horror film about her demented cloned dogs who eventually turn against her and rip her to pieces .

by Anonymousreply 76December 21, 2019 12:17 AM

She's the greatest director represented on Criterion since Michael Bay!

by Anonymousreply 77December 21, 2019 12:22 AM

I love the score, the cinematography is nice and Nick Nolte is great but the actors are directed like they are on stage. Always shouting and playing to the back row.

by Anonymousreply 78December 21, 2019 12:24 AM

Barbra said she greatly admired Melinda Dillon but, although it is her suicide attempt that is the centre of the story, poor Melinda has barely anything to do.

by Anonymousreply 79December 21, 2019 2:38 AM

Tom`s brother was a great character also barely mentioned in the movie. If Tom's brother had killed some people Dr Barbra would have probably already heard about it. Someone should make a limited series about it. The writer of the book always had nice things to say about Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 80December 21, 2019 5:08 AM

In the book the brother chopped up the escaped convicts he shot and fed them to the tiger his father owned. The brother was a badass.

by Anonymousreply 81December 21, 2019 5:23 AM

No bitchy remarks about the casting of Jason Gould? You girls are slipping.

by Anonymousreply 82December 21, 2019 5:38 AM

Jason got paid to essentially play himself in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 83December 21, 2019 5:44 AM

Like buttah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 21, 2019 5:57 AM

Paris Is Burning is getting a March 2020 Criterion release too.

by Anonymousreply 85December 21, 2019 6:09 AM

I did like her "perfect bite" in The Mirror Has Two Faces. I still remember a reviewer saying that she didn't turn into Michelle Pfeiffer with her makeover but they acted like it.

by Anonymousreply 86December 21, 2019 6:19 AM

Gee, Criterion is really scrapping the bottom of the barrel releasing this turkey.

by Anonymousreply 87December 21, 2019 6:37 AM

Barbra presumably got Jon Peters help to get the job directing, since he was head of Sony at the time.

by Anonymousreply 88December 21, 2019 7:43 AM

Juliette Binoche said that, later in the show, Cunty Joan Perske said to her in one of the hallways, "That Oscar belongs to me".

Demented narcissist. The entitlement on that twat!

by Anonymousreply 89December 21, 2019 8:47 AM

Joan Penske ?

That was quite a moment. Sweet Juliette deserved her win but said that Lauren deserved to win. No one calls her Lauren. I remember Betty’s son acted like he wanted to leave on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 90December 21, 2019 9:51 AM

R48 - Valerie Harper?! Then why not Linda Lavin.

by Anonymousreply 91December 21, 2019 10:25 AM

I'm so glad cunty Betty didn't win that Oscar. Aside from the fact that she didn't deserve it Juliette Binoche, though even appearing in a worse film than The Mirror Had Two Faces, gave a far better performance.

by Anonymousreply 92December 21, 2019 11:08 AM

Linda Lavin won best theme in a TV series 9 seasons in a row! She didn’t need an Oscar! And she’s feeeeeeeling GOOD! Bippity BOP!

by Anonymousreply 93December 21, 2019 1:04 PM

The book is so much better than the film.

In fact while I'm at it, Conroy's The Great Santini is better than the film version and the same is true of the other film adaptations of Conroy's books - The Lords of Discipline and The Water Is Wide (which was filmed as Conrack).

by Anonymousreply 94December 21, 2019 1:33 PM

R48, the idea of a shiksa playing Lowenstein is SO offensive.

by Anonymousreply 95December 21, 2019 2:18 PM

Linda Lavin should have played Lowenstein. Phillip McKeon could have played her son. Wojo from Barney Miller could have played Tom Wingo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 21, 2019 2:26 PM

Wojo has BDF.

by Anonymousreply 97December 21, 2019 2:29 PM

With a haircut Wojo coulda been Prince of my Tides any day. WOOF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 21, 2019 2:52 PM

[quote]r92 I'm so glad cunty Betty didn't win that Oscar. Aside from the fact that she didn't deserve it, Juliette Binoche, though even appearing in a worse film than The Mirror Had Two Faces, gave a far better performance.

I wish Faye had been presenting, and did some LALA moment, where Betty sailed up to the stage only to be told, "Oh, SORRY....!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 21, 2019 3:19 PM

I will say Betty Perske gave a decent performance in THE MIRROR HAS TWO FILTERS, but it was nothing groundbreaking or terribly dramatic. (Or comedic.) (Or anything, really.) It just wasn't a very exciting part.

Binoche, on the other hand, was in the wrong category. She has a leading role in her film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 21, 2019 3:27 PM

"Barbra presumably got Jon Peters help to get the job directing, since he was head of Sony at the time"

Peters helped get her FINANCING, not a directing job (???). It was a film no studio wanted to finance. As I read at the time, a film of The Prince of Tides was considered something that would only appeal to an older Driving Miss Daisy crowd.

I'm not a fan of this movie, but the fact is that the entire book could not fit into a 2 hour film. And Streisand had to choose the section where there was a lead role she could play - for financing. If she wasn't in it, there would be ZERO financing for The Prince of Tides, Jon Peters or not.

by Anonymousreply 101December 21, 2019 6:24 PM

[quote] Juliette Binoche said that, later in the show, Cunty Joan Perske said to her in one of the hallways, "That Oscar belongs to me".

If only Binoche had then kissed it and said, "Try taking it away from me, bitch."

The trouble with Bacall is that she was such an unrelenting bitch she made everyone hate her. As fun as it is being a bitch, people resent you for it and remember, and look forward to making you suffer.

by Anonymousreply 102December 21, 2019 6:29 PM

R102 that describes SOOOO many of gay men all over the world —and yet they still wonder why they’re single or can’t maintain a relationship Lol

by Anonymousreply 103December 21, 2019 7:06 PM

I wonder if this is still coming out Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 104March 30, 2020 3:20 AM

Yes, it's still on schedule. And Barbra has agreed to sign copies on Tuesday in her basement mall if you wear a face mask and stand six feet away (i.e., her usual pre-Corona social distancing rules).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 30, 2020 3:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!