Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is your favorite city in Canada?

Or most memorable?

by Anonymousreply 55December 20, 2019 12:42 PM

I've heard good things about Kelowna

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2019 7:30 PM

Halifax anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2019 9:25 PM

Hamilton. I went to graduate school there. Very nice memories.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2019 9:26 PM

R3 Hamilton looks ugly

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2019 11:24 PM

Quebec City is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2019 11:43 PM

What a garbage list, where's Regina?

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2019 12:02 AM

Vancouver by far. It’s also the most expensive city to live if you want to buy a real property there

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2019 12:10 AM

Montreal, because you can see this.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2019 12:56 AM

R8 Do they let you touch?

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2019 1:03 AM

R7 What's so great about Vancouver?

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2019 5:13 PM

Ottawa is quite nice, I was surprised

by Anonymousreply 11December 15, 2019 10:11 PM

I like Vancouver because it has all the amenities of a major city, but you also have all kinds of spectacular nature at your fingertips - the mountains, the sea, the rainforest...it's the perfect balance, imo. Also, I could never tolerate the climate in most of the rest of Canada. Kelowna is also a very nice little city with plenty of natural beauty, and less rain than Vancouver, but probably a bit too small for me.

by Anonymousreply 12December 15, 2019 10:19 PM

I selected Quebec City because I haven't been there. No Canadian city I have visited could be my favorite anything.

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2019 10:23 PM

R13 Quebec City is very nice, they even have 3 bathhouses!

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2019 10:28 PM

Montreal is my favorite Canadian city, but it is all torn up now for massive infrastructure projects. The construction noise is off the charts, and driving around and into the city is a nightmare.

Victoria is lovely in the Spring.

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2019 10:29 PM

Montreal. Vancouver is utterly soulless.

by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2019 10:31 PM

Kelowna, like much of interior BC, is deplorable central. Tons of white supremacist groups in the area.

by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2019 10:44 PM

Moose Jaw. I've never been there but how could you not like a place with a crazy name like Moose Jaw.

Of course in Newfoundland there is Dildo.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2019 11:43 PM

Vancouver without a doubt. One of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever visited

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2019 12:07 AM

Canada is pretty shitty for the most part. I'm glad I was born here and not Syria but it's a pathetic country. The people are spineless and have no identity.

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2019 12:50 AM

Kitchener

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2019 12:59 AM

Montreal, and not just because of what R8 posted, it's a beautiful friendly historic city.

I practice my French there and I eat bagels at St. Viator and I eat crepes.

I'm 42 and I've been to Montreal 50 times in my life. My parents took me when I was a baby to visit their friends and I've been returning every year. And the men are handsome!

Vive la Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2019 1:07 AM

Niagara Falls anyone?

It had more to do than the US side (including me).

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2019 1:08 AM

I would do anything to be canadian. First world people are so spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2019 1:14 AM

Wow! I have been to all of these except Winnipeg.

Gotta go with Montreal. Vancouver and Toronto are great cities, but there is a provincial, conservative underbelly in them. How so? Grindr and Scruff tell me so.

Montreal is raunchy-hot and uninhibited in a quasi-European sense.

Quebec City is very pretty, but Montreal wins in architecture, too. Museums? Well TO and Ottawa win, but, again, Montreal is a contender.

Montreal is the Barcelona of North America. And I mean that in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2019 1:22 AM

Toronto is like a more-diverse, safer but less interesting version of Chicago. And despite the fact that it's technically older than Chicago, its history is less interesting.

by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2019 2:30 AM

Hong Couver

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2019 2:50 AM

Toronto is a big disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2019 2:55 AM

R1 what good things have you heard about Kelowna? I'm not going to trash the place as it was a fleeting visit but it didn't exactly sing to me.

I do love Vancouver though.

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2019 9:41 AM

R29 My Canadian cousin just told me that Banff and Kelowna were beautiful places .Coincidentally, she mentioned not liking Vancouver too much due to seeing many homeless drug addicts.

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2019 1:25 PM

Why is there so little love for Winnipeg?

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2019 5:51 PM

Guy Maddin tries to give Winnipeg some mystique, but it's a lost cause. There is no there, there. And it's insanely cold half the year.

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2019 8:29 PM

I haven't lived in Winnipeg for a long time, but I mostly have fond memories, though the weather is terrible from Nov to March, with January and February being the worst. Summers and falls were nice, spring was too short. Edmonton's not quite as cold in the winters, but they don't have the nice warm summers that Winnipeg enjoys, nor do they have access to the "lake country" that Winnipeg does. I swear, most people there seem to have a cottage either at Lake Winnipeg or at one of the lakes of the nearby Canadian Shield. I'd consider moving back if the opportunity came about and I'd rather be there than anywhere in Alberta OR Hamilton (a hotbed of right wing lunacy and white supremacy groups.

It's infinitely better than the other prairie cities, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina. It at least has an artsy side to it, well preserved historic district, multiple theatres, a phenomenal ballet company and is far more socially progressive than any of the other Western cities (aside from Vancouver and Victoria). The Liberals swept it in 2015, lost some ground in 2019, but it's still mostly progressive whereas Calgary went 100% Con, and Edmonton has only one progressive seat. Plus, Alberta is the very heart of social conservatism in Canada - their premier is Jason Kenney, a religious nutcase who is best friends with Andrew Scheer, another religious nut. So while Winnipeg isn't my favourite Canadian city, it's far from the worst.

by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2019 10:25 PM

Oh, and one more thing. Winnipeg (and parts of rural Manitoba), has a significant francophone population, and St. Boniface (Winnipeg's French area) is quite beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 34December 16, 2019 10:27 PM

My Canadian ancestors were from Yarmouth, NS which sounds like a dreary backwater to me.

by Anonymousreply 35December 16, 2019 10:30 PM

R33 Thanks for the informative post. I never would have thought Winnipeg would be better than Calgary or Edmonton. Calgary sounds like asshole central.

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2019 11:07 PM

I've heard that Calgary is a nicer city than Denver, but I cannot imagine how true that is, considering how brutal winters there must be.

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2019 11:14 PM

Depends what you like I suppose, R36. If you like pretend cowboys,, rednecks and oil/gas workers the Calgary is for you. Calgary has a "new" and clean downtown, but it's very, very bland.

Winnipeg has issues, but it has redeeming qualities too. Redneckism and social conservatism isn't a virtue there like it is in Calgary and sadly, now Edmonton. I'd never live in Alberta again, ever. Too much racism and homophobia which is only getting worse as talk of western alienation and wexit persists. I give credit to Brian Pallister, (Manitoba's premier) who said talk of separation is ridiculous and is so far the ONLY premier to speak out against Quebec's ban on religious symbols. He's one of the last old school progressive conservatives around - Jason Kenney may as well be from Alabama and Alberta's reputation is getting worse by the day. Those people are actually proud of being climate change denying rednecks.

R37, I've been to both cities and Calgary is not nicer than Denver. No way, not even close. Calgary has a pristine downtown, but it's bland and boring and is basically made up of bland suburbs with cookie cutter homes. Edmonton has more character than Calgary, but it's turned very deplorable in recent years as well.

by Anonymousreply 38December 16, 2019 11:28 PM

I love the rough prairie cities Winnipeg and Edmonton. I remember creepy shit that you didn’t think happened in Canada occurred while I was living in Edmonton. A guy was beaten to death on the lrt, beheadings and one story about a guy who was murdered and bled through the floor of his apartment and dripped into his downstairs neighbours place.

by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2019 12:19 AM

R38, thanks for the feedback. I want to visit Denver and Winnipeg now!

by Anonymousreply 40December 17, 2019 12:22 AM

If you do, go during the summer, R39. You can visit the Forks and the Human Rights Museum in one day, then do a walking tour of St. Boniface and the Exchange District another day, attend the Fringe Fest and the outdoor theatre they have at one of the big city parks (forget what it's called). Stay at the Fort Garry Hotel which is one of those old railway hotels. If you go with a friend, you can rent a car and head out to the lakes near the border of Ontario and rent a cabin for a night or two.

by Anonymousreply 41December 17, 2019 12:41 AM

In 1990 Jan Morris, the British writer, gave her assessment of Canadian cities. Her favourites were St. John's, Newfoundland ( she raved about it), Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and the nation's capital Ottawa. Vancouver left her cold.

by Anonymousreply 42December 17, 2019 1:38 AM

Calgary can be very nice in the summer. Vancouver is still the best city in Canada

by Anonymousreply 43December 17, 2019 2:30 AM

R42 Ottawa is great! Elegant and dignified, yet friendly and relaxed.

by Anonymousreply 44December 17, 2019 6:07 AM

[quote] Saskatoon, Saskatchewan,

Wtf. Isn't it in the heart of redneck country? And no one knows how to even pronounce it.

by Anonymousreply 45December 19, 2019 4:19 PM

Saskatoon certainly wasn't redneck thirty years ago when Jan Morris made her observation. The turn to the right is a fairly recent phenomenon and is largely rural based.

by Anonymousreply 46December 19, 2019 6:27 PM

Saskatoon is a university town and isn't as redneck as the rest of the province. I hate Saskatchewan with every fiber of my being, but even I have to admit that Saskatoon isn't the worst place I've ever been to and it's actually quite pretty in spots, especially around the riverfront. R46 is correct that the turn to the right is more recent, but I know that there's still a lot of progressives there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2019 6:37 PM

Toronto. Don't like Montreal because of their bigoted language politics and language police.

by Anonymousreply 48December 19, 2019 6:43 PM

I've heard of Canada but I'm not quite sure where it is.

by Anonymousreply 49December 19, 2019 6:52 PM

It's somewhere between Greenland and Russia, R49.

by Anonymousreply 50December 19, 2019 6:53 PM

Quebec is homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2019 6:53 PM

R51 that wasn't my experiece. Montreal and Quebec City are SUPER gay. Guys are Super hot and nice ( mais peut etre c'est different si vous ne parlez pas Francais).

by Anonymousreply 52December 19, 2019 6:56 PM

R51/R52, I"ve heard rural Quebec is very homophobic. However, in Montreal and QC, it's the total opposite. Both are amazing cities and Montreal has great gay nightlife.

by Anonymousreply 53December 19, 2019 10:51 PM

[quote] I"ve heard rural Quebec is very homophobic.

My maternal grandfather was from a small town not too far from Quebec City, our family there is anything but judgemental and homophobic. On the other hand, my paternal grandmother's family - who are located in Alberta and western Manitoba would probably be wearing MAGA caps if they lived here in the states.

by Anonymousreply 54December 20, 2019 1:43 AM

R54, Canada is lucky its equivalent of the conservative mountain west states are a much smaller proportion of their country than they are here. Plus, Canada doesn't have an equivalent to the deep south. But it's also cold as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 55December 20, 2019 12:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!