Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"In the Heights" Trailer

I got chills, they're multiplying!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2020 9:57 PM

Wow, surprisingly low interest in this. I didn't even know the trailer was out. I thought this musical had a big fan base?

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2019 4:16 PM

R1: the trailer was literally just released and you're already talking about it.

This movie is going to be an event and I cannot wait. It looks absolutely sensational. Lin Manuel can be extra, but I am grateful he waited to produce this with collaborators who would honor his vision.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2019 4:20 PM

I enjoyed the stage version a lot more than I thought I would, and I think this looks pretty exciting.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2019 4:24 PM

Isn’t Washington Heights now gentrified?

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2019 4:36 PM

R4: practically, but there are pockets that are still very much "El Barrio"

In fact, someone was robbed and stabbed in a park near Columbia just this week. A tragedy (may she rest in peace) but it does indicate there is still crime up there.

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2019 5:01 PM

People need to be reminded to hold onto their dreams!

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2019 5:06 PM

Where are the white people in this movie? I'm OUTRAGED!

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2019 5:13 PM

This looks extremely corny. No thanks!

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2019 5:13 PM

Have they cast Chita?

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2019 5:19 PM

If that isn’t the most Disneyfied version of Washington Heights I’ve ever seen...

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2019 5:28 PM

R10: there is magic in low-income communities too, you know. It's alright to showcase the lighter/joyful aspects of the barrio experience. It is still a community and a home to many people- are they expected to toil only in gloom? I understand the reality is more stark, but if white people movies get to run the gamut of magic to mob corruption why can't we?

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2019 5:58 PM

R11 Like the gingham Porgy and Bess, you like your poor brightly attired

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2019 6:45 PM

It used to be VERY Irish ☘️

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2019 6:57 PM

Fuck off pro mexican troll

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2019 7:00 PM

The Columbia student was murdered in Morningside Park which is not in Washington Heights.

Isn't the lead in this movie the gay guy who starred as Gaga's best friend in A Star Is Born? Is his character in In the Heights gay?

This isn't really the type of musical that attracts my attention but congrats to Lin on yet another a splashy success.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2019 7:00 PM

R15: very true. By "up there" I mean generally upper Manhattan. Also, Morningside Park is still extremely close to the Heights. It attracts people from the community for sure.

Also yes that is Anthony from A Star is Born, but I don't think he's gay IRL or in the musical. He wasn't even a gay character in the movie with Gaga, though I can see why you thought so lol

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2019 7:27 PM

I never miss a Jimmy Smits musical.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2019 7:35 PM

I didn't realize Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) was in this.

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2019 7:38 PM

My friend worked in the theater this was playing in it’s as insufferable as Lin Manuel Miranda

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2019 7:39 PM

[quote]My friend worked in the theater this was playing in it’s as insufferable as Lin Manuel Miranda

It's not "playing" anywhere. It's a movie, and it's not being released until next year.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2019 7:51 PM

R20: they may have meant a production of the original musical.

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2019 8:00 PM

I'm not going to lie. I teared up!

I love Hamilton but have never listened to the original recording of ITH, I think I'll wait to see the movie fresh, with no preconceptions.

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2019 8:32 PM

It looks great, my only problem with it is that it doesn't look like the barrio. The area's too gentrified, it sacrifices the magic the stage show brought to Washington Heights.

I might check this one out. I hate Lin Manuel for a lot of reasons, but this actually looks enjoyable. Maybe it's because he didn't shove himself into the leading role and rightfully let Ramos have it. The film looks gorgeous and well choreographed. Seems like he finally did something right.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2019 11:16 PM

I don’t remember this show being about “dreamers”; wonder if the movie people pressured Lin to make some adjustments to the plot to reflect what’s going on in the news? I’ll probably see it though.

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2019 12:49 AM

Gay white man here, left Chelsea in 1999 and moved to the Heights.....Love it so much more...more parks and less congestion and the men are crazy sexy and available. You can really enjoy city life in the Heights. No more cheap apartments to be found, everything is pricey and soon the poor will be displaced, probably in another 10 years it will go from expensive to super expensive. The underemployed Hispanics and Blacks will be pushed out. I was the first white in my building when I got here (160 unit bldg), not it seems every new tenant coming in is white, the neighborhood is changing fast.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2019 1:59 AM

No superheroes? Hard pass!

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2019 2:05 AM

I'm fine with the changes being made. Despite the fact that Trump's treatment of hispanic immigrants is possibly the most evil and egregious thing he's done while in office, it's rarely ever talked about. Everybody seems to turn a blind eye to the fact that our president is okay with deporting children and leaving them to die of disease in mass cells. It's about damn time we addressed this in film, especially a film made by a major studio. Nobody seems to care about the Dreamers.

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2019 2:14 AM

It looks like they changed most of the plot to center around more politically relevant stuff like gentrification and deportation rather than the Heights' self-contained problems and the characters' emotional dilemmas. I can't tell if the changes are good or bad, it depends on how thickly they lay the political stuff on.

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2019 8:32 PM

[quote] Gay white man here, left Chelsea in 1999 and moved to the Heights.....Love it so much more...more parks and less congestion and the men are crazy sexy and available. You can really enjoy city life in the Heights. No more cheap apartments to be found, everything is pricey and soon the poor will be displaced, probably in another 10 years it will go from expensive to super expensive.

Thanks to you, gentrifier.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2019 8:58 PM

Pushed back one year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2020 7:10 PM

It's been reworked for relevance and will now be released as "Corona Heights".

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2020 7:25 PM

Great. Just what we need is more Lin Manuel crapola. I wish he would get covid. He is just an insufferable granola muncher and this movie is a crock of shit.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2020 9:25 PM

[quote] this movie is a crock of shit

How did you get to see it already? Oh, I see. You are just an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2020 9:32 PM

FUCKIN' BULLSHIT.

That's what it is.

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2020 9:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!