Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lesbian Interior Design

Can we discuss the styles of interior design favoured by our sapphic systers? I want to hear voices on the styles favored by lesbians such as Mountain, Southwestern, Hippie, New England Thrift, and Straight Dude.

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2020 7:11 PM

Unfinished projects. Always. House completely torn up because torn up with half done projects.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2019 3:19 PM

Something evoking the interior of a five year old Subaru Forester...that hasn't been cleaned since it left the dealer's lot.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2019 3:59 PM

I feel like I missed the opportunity to make the Vivian Vance option Mary Wickes on this occasion.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2019 4:18 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2019 5:40 PM

Sectional sofa with cup holders; the standard sofa in lesbian homes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2019 6:06 PM

Ewwww! HISSSSS!!

They're worse than straight guys!!!!

Subarus!!! So funny!!!

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2019 6:09 PM

Southwestern designed purple and orange wooden furniture with cats howling at moons. Mason jars with fermented juices in them. Lawn ornaments cut out of metal that also are purple and look like cats/moons riding on bicycles. A lot of lesbians frequent craft shows and bluegrass festivals, so they have a lot of weird ornaments in their yards and homes.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2019 6:38 PM

Dreamcatchers

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2019 7:26 PM

Yes. Do lesbians have a lot of dreams that need catching?

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2019 8:20 PM

A brown corduroy couch from 1974 that smells like wet dog.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2019 8:44 PM

Lesbians are obsessed with the '70s, when they were at their most powerful.

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2019 8:45 PM

This could be lovely repurposed as some valances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2019 9:09 PM

I knew a lesbian couple and the butch one liked to smoke her pipe after dinner. So you'll need an ashtray and pipe holder.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2019 9:24 PM

R1 wins the thread. A lesbian acquaintance and her wife have a garage filled with half finished furniture makeover projects.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2019 9:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2019 10:15 PM

Georgia O'Keefe prints everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2019 10:28 PM

One of the lesbian couples I know has references to fish everywhere. Isn’t that internalized lesbophobia or something? Their Holiday cards say “fish productions” on the back with a little cartoon of a fish. And it’s not the Christian one.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2019 10:31 PM

Ewwww!!! Fish!!!! I hear that's what they smell like down there!! Ewwww!!!

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2019 11:11 PM

Ilonka Karasz and Eileen Grey furniture, Lucienne Day fabrics, Sklo Union vases.

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2019 11:17 PM

Power lesbians - super minimalist —lots of metal, sparse, high-end “waiting room” type furniture—expensive framed abstract photographs and paintings strategically placed. Everything in it’s place at all times. Neutral colors—mostly black. No pets.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2019 11:23 PM

Lesbian Living Room:

Green plants, lots of plants, macrame, a large white bookshelf filled with books of lesbian poetry, a well worn copy of “Lesbian Nuns, Breaking the Silence”, and sundry feminist books. Field hockey trophies from High School, used as bookends. Framed Georgia O’Keeffe art posters adorn the walls, along with a framed autographed photos of Billie Jean King and Gloria Steinem and Anne Murray.

There will be a small, comfy brown sofa, covered with a crocheted afghan. The coffee table will be oval, cream colored, French Provincial, which was inherited by a great aunt who served in the World War II as a Marine Corps Reservist. A wicker end table with a glass top, is next to the sofa. A ginger jar lamp, from the 1970s, sits atop, with framed photos of women friends.

There is a large floral rug, somewhat faded, on the floor. The windows are covered with bamboo shutters. A moss green, French Provincial desk (inherited from the same aunt), is placed at the side wall. There is a matching chair.

Plants are everywhere. The cat is optional. (It must be female, however.)

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2019 1:15 AM

You do know there are femme lesbians out there who know how to decorate or like to hire those that can.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2019 1:45 AM

All the interior pieces must fit in the U-Haul that is frequently parked in the driveway.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2019 2:14 AM

[quote] Power lesbians - super minimalist —lots of metal, sparse, high-end “waiting room” type furniture—expensive framed abstract photographs and paintings strategically placed. Everything in it’s place at all times. Neutral colors—mostly black. No pets.

Still this statuette though, representing womyn in movement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2019 5:54 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2019 5:55 AM

Is ring-staining tables a style?

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2019 12:24 PM

I like the filthy coffee table passed down from one of their grandparents from the 80s, with cup rings and magazines like Psychology Today and Crafts strewn about with 5 empty PBR cans & a catch-all New Mexico pottery bowl containing: a lighter, chapstick, hand lotion, half a pack of Camels, a few ponytail holders and a pretty much empty bag of shitty weed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2019 12:42 PM

Stop the abuse of women. Your hatred is killing us.

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2019 1:12 PM

R28 LITERAL VIOLENCE!!!

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2019 1:15 PM

We can bash men all day here and gay men tear each other to shreds but say one little joke about women and the sky is falling.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2019 1:16 PM

Salvaged anything

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2019 2:05 PM

All my baby lesbians are running about might&day with narcan working on the opiate crisis so I’m guessing latex bed in a box and bags of rice for pillows. Moving blankets and lots of luggage on rollers.

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2019 2:24 PM

What, R32?

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2019 2:58 PM

Old Pueblo style heavy furniture, some new from Mexico. So many cat towers and scratching posts, they take the role of art or sculpture. Brown or black leather 'bachelor' sofas. Cheap IKEA odds and ends fill in as needed. Excercise equipment in home office, den, living room, dining room, or guest room. A plethora of yoga mats never put away... the dogs love to lie on them, and the cats nibble off bits, which seem to be strewn everywhere. And yes to the plants, many of which are in some state of death or decay, chronichally dropping diseased leaves everywhere. Sporting goods popping out of every closet and cabinet. Outdoor or patio furniture, especially wicker, comfortably at home with all the leather. Papasan chairs, and other Pier One favourites from twenty or thirty years ago. Way too many rainbow flags. Tons of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks, as well as an old dog-eared copy of [italic] Oral Sadism and the Vegetarian Personality [/italic].

by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2019 3:35 PM

House that still hasn't been cleaned since this thread was started.

by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2020 3:16 PM

Urban lesbians like mid-century modern and you can find them prowling about Design Within Reach on the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2020 3:21 PM

I second R36. I've been in a number of fabulously chic, mid century modern, lesbian homes in Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2020 7:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!