Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When will the backlash against comic movies come?

By backlash we mean from the public, not from a pointy-headed think piece.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2019 10:30 PM

Once the orange doofus is out of office. Comic book movies are a symptom, just like Dump.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2019 2:25 PM

There will be no backlash because they are not offensive in any way. Perhaps they might go out of fashion but their current fans aren't then going to gripe about them.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2019 8:53 PM

Soon, I hope. All the reboots X a million are so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2019 8:56 PM

What form will this backlash take. Adolescents and rah rah numbskulls will criticize the movies they previously loved based on what?

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2019 8:58 PM

Disney has been making the same comic book movie for 10 years. Hopefully the General audience find them stale soon.

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2019 9:03 PM

[quote] There will be no backlash because they are not offensive in any way.

The fact that they're so inoffensive is exactly what makes them offensive to any real movie lover.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2019 9:06 PM

The easy money-making formula is CGI-heavy, low-dialogue flicks to please the Asian market. $$$$ They YEN for it!

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2019 9:13 PM

Except for Guardians 1 and Thor Ragnarok all Marvel movies feel like it's the same movie. I walked out of the magician superhero movie. It was so dull.

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2019 9:41 PM

R6 "Real movie lovers" don't pay to see comic book movies and therefore cannot create this imaginary coming "backlash". The headline makes no sense. And comic book movie fans will not backlash.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2019 9:47 PM

Never. Comic books and comic book movies will exist so as long as there are insecure men.

Signed, an insecure man who does love himself some comic books/movies.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2019 9:59 PM

Remember when westerns were popular for about 60 or 70 years?

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2019 10:02 PM

The general public is getting dumber every year, so don't expect this backlash anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2019 10:03 PM

I wouldn't say that long but westerns, musicals, rom-coms are all good similar examples, and going by those I'd say we have another 10-15 years of this.

I'd disagree that they are crowding out good movies from being made though. If they offend you so much, then don't see them.

Just in the past few months I've seen ...

Parasite Honey Boy Peanut Butter Falcon A Beautiful Day in the Neighbohood Knives Out The Lighthouse Ford vs Ferarri Queen & Slim Harriet Jojo Rabbit Dr Sleep Joker (which is a great movie) Hustlers The Irishman

These were all good to great movies.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2019 10:12 PM

Dammit that did not format like I thought it would

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2019 10:12 PM

Westerns might make a comeback, if the popularity of the show Westworld is any indication.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2019 10:27 PM

Parasite

Honey Boy

Peanut Butter Falcon

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbohood

Knives Out

The Lighthouse

Ford vs Ferarri

Queen & Slim

Harriet

Jojo Rabbit

Dr Sleep

Joker (which is a great movie)

Hustlers

The Irishman

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2019 10:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!