Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oh dear, I need a grammar nazi

I keep seeing people use the word 'funnily' instead of 'funny' or 'funny enough'. What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2019 11:27 PM

English is not even my first language but yours is worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2019 4:48 AM

Funnily is far too complex for this mob who truly believe that starting a sentence with "So" is within the realm of acceptable, correct English.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2019 4:53 AM

It's because it sounds like something our great leader would say OP.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2019 4:55 AM

It's deliberately incorrect and therefore OK. Like saying "ain't" -- if you're joking ("That fried chicken ain't half bad!", "Ain't that cute?"), we're in on the joke -- but if you're serious, that ain't Kosher.

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2019 5:14 AM

A reporter on MSNBC just said "Him and her are competing for the vote....". She's young but English seems to be her native language (she doesn't have an accent) so there's no excuse for this blatant grammatical error. I'll bet she's not chastised for this because there seem to be no standards anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2019 8:32 PM

She should be fired, r5. She's a fucking idiot and an embarrassment to the network.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2019 8:56 PM

Well, the more common phrasing is "funnily enough," so if it's acting adverbial, meaning something like oddly or curiously and not as an adjective, it's correct. "Funny enough" would only be correct to mean "that joke was funny enough for a kindergarten crowd but not for the Council on Foreign Relations.".

"Funny" is a basic adjective, so not interchangeable with "funnily." I'm surprised you see the errors you do; I'd expect to see them run the other direction.

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2019 9:07 PM

R6, I don't know her name, just another cute young thing of whom there are many posing as "journalists". But this error is so blatant -- who the hell talks like that, and why is she allowed to do it on TV?

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2019 10:17 PM

"Funnily" is acceptable if it is used properly as an adverb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2019 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!