Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The best living American novelist?

In the last year we lost two major contenders for that title: Philip Roth and Toni Morrison (who would have been my own choice).

Who still living now would you put up for that title? Thomas Pynchon? Don DeLillo?

by Anonymousreply 70June 22, 2020 6:54 PM

I think Joyce Carol Oates or Stephen King would be contenders merely because of their prodigious output.

For more "literary" authors, I'd say either Zadie Smith or Jonathan Franzen/Michael Chabon (they are interchangeable in my mind) would be on the short list.

DeLillo is SO BORING and Pynchon is nearly unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2019 12:03 AM

I don't think "most prodigious" means the same thing as "best."

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2019 12:05 AM

Chabon.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2019 12:06 AM

Zadie Smith lives part of the year now in the US, but almost no one considers her an American author. She writes almost entirely about the UK where she was born and raised.

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2019 12:06 AM

Joyce Carol Oates is far from the best living novelist.

I'd go with Donna Tartt. Or Tom Perrotta. Or Marilynne Robinson.

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2019 12:10 AM

Don DeLillo, Marilynne Robinson, Cormac McCarthy, Michael Chabon.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2019 12:19 AM

She's hardly fashionable, but if the "best" means both critically acclaimed and likely still to be read decades from now, Anne Tyler.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2019 12:20 AM

Lauren Groff

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2019 12:28 AM

Fuck Donna Tartt and that cutting Goldfinch excrement!

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2019 12:39 AM

CUNTING^^^

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2019 12:39 AM

Cormac McCarthy

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2019 1:18 AM

Felicia Gallant!

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2019 1:20 AM

James Patterson is genius. I can't imagine how he continually puts out multiple masterpieces of spine chilling novels every year.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2019 3:24 AM

I vote for DeLillo. His early books up to and including Underworld were great--I read almost all of them. He stopped writing serious books after Underworld ('97 I think) but before that, there was nobody quite like him. Pynchon is great too in his own way but most of his books are quite unreadable (Gravity's Rainbow is impenetrable).

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2019 3:54 AM

Not a popular opinion - but I think Jonathan Franzens books are genius. Well written and insightful about modern life. David Foster Wallace will probably be known as the great Gen X writer - in part because he died young after so few books. And they are impressive - just not enjoyable. Feel similarly about Delillo - I can appreciate the genius but I don’t enjoy it or feel affected - nor does it leave a lasting impact. Franzen did.

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2019 4:29 AM

Much of it depends on what gets taught at colleges and universities. I know few people who read "Gravity's Rainbow" for fun, but it gets taught quite a bit, and so its reputation persists--like "Ulysses."

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2019 4:35 AM

Have to agree with R15. DeLillo has always left me cold.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2019 4:46 AM

Anne Tyler and Cormac McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2019 7:00 AM

Bret Easton Ellis

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2019 7:02 AM

McCarthy reigns supreme. Maybe deLillo or Richard Ford for second. Marilynne Robinson is superb as well.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2019 7:11 AM

Barbara Thorndyke

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2019 7:17 AM

Jay McInerney

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2019 11:24 AM

Richard Russo

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2019 12:16 PM

Lionel Shriver

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2019 12:21 PM

Another vote for Bret Easton Ellis. He may be a deplorable but he is, or was at least, a great writer

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2019 12:23 PM

Joan Didion, Larry McMurtry...

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2019 1:04 PM

Pynchon's 'Mason & Dixon' is my favourite book, followed by DeLillo's 'White Noise' (if anyone thinks that DeLillo is boring and/or leaves them unmoved then they can't have read the latter anytime in the recent past) but, whilst both are still alive, their best years are now well behind them. Cormac McCarthy is THE quintessentially American mythic novelist, post-Faulkner, so perhaps, like many others, I'd opt for him.

by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2019 1:44 PM

Cormac McCarthy, definitely

Denis Johnson, but he died two years ago

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2019 2:11 PM

Don DeLillo. Cormac McCarthy. Can't think of any others....

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2019 2:58 PM

Annie Proulx.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2019 3:26 AM

I love, love, love Don DeLillo, yet I understand why he leaves some cold. His books are more about ideas than they are characters. But his writing is stylish and beautiful, like a poet’s, and he has a way of summoning the sublime, the ineffable. Plus he was very prescient about the corrosive effects of mass media and the rise of terrorism.

I read White Noise right after college and loved it but struggled with other of his books. So I started with his first, Americana, and read each in succession. And you learn how to read his work. White Noise, Libra and Underworld are all masterpieces. Mao II is close. The Names is beautiful and mysterious. Running Dog is a decadent spy novel that’s obsessed with Hitler and Players features a doomed gay couple. Great Jones Street is dreamlike and haunting, End Zone is like Catch 22, and Ratner’s Star is ... hard to describe.

I love him so much and wish he’d get a Nobel.

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2019 4:00 AM

Richard Ford was a professor of mine at university, and he is incredibly smart and dynamic. I love his writing, but I don't love his characters. Still, he gets my vote.

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2019 4:04 AM

Salvatore Scibona, although he's only written two novels -- tens years apart. He's also one of the best who nobody has heard of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2019 4:08 AM

[quote] I think Joyce Carol Oates or Stephen King would be contenders merely because of their prodigious output.

By that logic, McDonald's would be a contender for best US restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2019 4:09 AM

Richard Ford is great. Lorrie Moore is more known for short stories but is surely one of the very best fiction writers.

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2019 4:09 AM

I'm definitely going to try Anne Tyler based on comments in this thread. I'd have to agree with mentions of Marilynn Robinson. Gilead is a masterpiece of character work. I'd also make a pitch for James Carlos Blake. I suppose some might find him Cormac McCarthy-lite, especially if one were to compare Blood Meridian to In the Rogue Blood, but I find him very compelling.

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2019 4:22 AM

[quote]I'm definitely going to try Anne Tyler based on comments in this thread.

You can start with "The Accidental Tourist." If it's not to your taste you probably won't like the others.

by Anonymousreply 37December 13, 2019 5:19 AM

Anne Tyler gets my vote.

by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2019 5:36 AM

Sounds like I need to read some Anne Tyler.

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2019 5:29 PM

(1) Richard Price not only as an impressive novelist but screenwriter as well ("The Night Of," "The Deuce," "The Wire").

(2) Carl Hiaasen, who did for Florida what...

...(3) Larry McMurtry did for the state of Texas.

by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2019 6:11 PM

I’m going to have to go with E.L James. She put millions of fat fraus in heat. Poor stupid straight men.

My second choice is Donald Trump Jr.

by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2019 6:14 PM

Sorry but if you can by an author's paperbacks in the grocery store they aren't that good.

by Anonymousreply 42December 13, 2019 6:31 PM

Sorry, but if you cannot distinguish "by" from "buy" you don't get to judge.

by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2019 6:43 PM

^^for R42

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2019 6:44 PM

R43 is a cunt

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2019 7:32 PM

He outsources them R13

It's like a factory

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2019 7:34 PM

I will offer three recent, brilliant novels by American women that rival anything above:

Lauren Groff/Fates and Furies (but I also loved The Monsters of Templeton) Karen Joy Fowler/We are All Completely Beside Ourselves Rachel Kushner/The Mars Room, or The Flamethrowers.

Okay that was four. Or five.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2020 10:52 PM

No one has time for novels anymore.

Only retired geriatrics and the unemployed have time to read them.

by Anonymousreply 48June 18, 2020 10:58 PM

I love Anne Tyler. She has a chapter in Saint Maybe that deals with getting a water ring out of a table. Anyone that can make that compelling is a master writer. She succeeds.

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2020 11:02 PM

[quote] No one has time for novels anymore.

And yet here you are, wasting time on a chat forum. Go figure!

by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2020 11:06 PM

Does anyone still read Anne Tyler? She was a very nice lady and a good commercial middle-brow writer. But she will go the way of Edna Ferber---in histories of American literature but rarely read or studied.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2020 1:23 AM

Joyce Carol. Oates

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2020 1:29 AM

Right now....John Bolton.

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2020 1:52 AM

John Irving

Paul Auster

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2020 2:09 AM

This thread needs to be split between Female Best living American novelists and Male Best living American novelists.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2020 2:11 AM

No to Jonathan Franzen. He can write some beautiful and funny set pieces in his novels but there’s a plot flaw in nearly every book. The plot engine he uses to drive his books are creaky. I’m reading Martin Amis’ The Information and it’s hilariously funny. He’s a Brit but lives in Brooklyn. For best living US novelist Colson Whitehead should be in that list.

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2020 2:19 AM

Lucy Ellman lives in Scotland but she is as American as tarte tartin. Colson Whitehead is another force to be reckoned with. Karen Groff is an excellent stylist but not in the same league.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2020 2:20 AM

Lucy Ellman lives in Scotland but she is as American as tarte tartin. Colson Whitehead is another force to be reckoned with. Karen Groff is an excellent stylist but not in the same league.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2020 2:20 AM

Yikes. Meant to say Lauren Groff. And sorry for the double post.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2020 2:22 AM

[quote] Lucy Ellman lives in Scotland but she is as American as tarte tartin.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2020 4:18 AM

I really wanted to list James Salter, only to find out he passed away five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2020 4:23 AM

Lionel Shriver.

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2020 4:53 AM

Salvatore Scibona. Two brilliant novels. His writing is art.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2020 7:55 AM

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't like Colson Whitehead and am somewhat confounded he won a Pulitzer for two novels in a row. I thought "The Underground Railroad" was vastly overrated, the plot was confusing and the whole "it's an actual railroad" conceit felt unnecessary and not cleverly used. That said I have not read "The Nickel Boys" and I suppose I will. But I also read his zombie book "Zone One" and found that not very interesting.

Toni Morrison would have sat atop this list but she's gone now. Her first five novels are all mind-blowing. Among Black authors writing now, Edward Jones, Charles Johnson and Darryl Pinckney have all written beautiful novels, but have not been as prolific as some of their contemporaries (or, perhaps, had as many publishing opportunities). Jesmyn Ward is a very talented up and comer. I have been meaning to read "An American Marriage" by Tayari Jones.

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2020 3:17 PM

Richard Powers and Jane Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2020 3:30 PM

Ron Hansen is most excellent.

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2020 3:32 PM

R53: Are you insinuating the Bolton book is a work of fiction?

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2020 11:50 PM

Another vote for Cormac McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 68June 20, 2020 12:18 AM

Louise Erdrich

by Anonymousreply 69June 22, 2020 6:48 PM

John Irving

by Anonymousreply 70June 22, 2020 6:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!