Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A man bought Olivia Newton-John's 'Grease' jacket for $243,200 and gave it back to her

When Olivia Newton-John's iconic black leather jacket from the movie "Grease" sold for $243,200 last month at a charity auction, the Grammy-winning singer and actress probably thought it was gone for good. But the buyer, who described himself as her number one fan, had other ideas. "This jacket belongs to you and the collective soul of those who love you, those for whom you are the soundtrack of their lives. It should not sit in a billionaire's closet for country club bragging rights," the anonymous buyer said in Los Angeles this weekend, in a video posted on Facebook by Julien's Auctions. "For this reason I humbly and respectfully return it to its rightful owner, which is you."

In the video, Newton-John seemed shocked when she realized what was in the bright pink, gift-wrapped box. "Are you serious?" she said before giving the man a huge hug. "That is the sweetest thing."

The buyer wanted to remain anonymous, so his face is blurred in the video. The auction house said he is a doctor and a medical technology entrepreneur. The jacket and skin-tight pants Newton-John wore in the 1978 film sold separately in the November 2 auction for more than double their estimate and raised $405,700 for the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Research and Wellness Centre in Australia. Spanx founder Sara Blakely bought the pants, which Newton-John said she had to be sewn into, according to the auction house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 14, 2019 9:57 PM

I know this is not how a R1 is supposed to behave but I LOVE this!!

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 8:36 PM

Okay, I cried a little over that one.

I know....MARY!

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 8:36 PM

A Fool & His Money...

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 8:39 PM

Olivia Newton-John then promptly sold the jacket at another auction.

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 8:40 PM

Don't spoil this r4. Not a Grease or ONJ fan but this is a great story. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 8:42 PM

Livvy looks lovely!

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 8:42 PM

I love this story

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 8:47 PM

In all the midst of so much distasteful news these days led by the criminal in the White House, it's refreshing to have a good news story like this one about ONJ.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 9:15 PM

Tsk-tak! He could have bought TWO bananas duct taped to a wall with all that money!

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 9:19 PM

Of I had money to burn, I would do this kind of thing every day.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 9:20 PM

Are you people kidding me? Almost a quarter million on a jacket, that she could have easily bought herself (if she wanted it). This is just a stupid use of money. Wonder how the darfur orphan feels about this. I seriously hate celebrities, they're all a bunch of retards.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 9:25 PM

I'm always amazed at some peoples disposable money

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 9:27 PM

R11 It was to benefit her cancer foundation, dumb ass

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 9:27 PM

R13, eh, who cares, they're still retards. But you're right, I didn't read the article.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2019 9:32 PM

1.) does she still fit in it?

2.) i’d die laughing if she opened the box, then said, “What’s this?” (She just wears it for a minute in the movie.)

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2019 9:35 PM

[quote] they're still retards

This speaks volumes about the type of person you are

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2019 9:46 PM

There are plenty of videos online filmed prior to last month’s auction where she tries in the jacket and the pants. All money raised from the sale of the Grease jacket and pants went entirely to the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Center in Melbourne, Australia.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 9:47 PM

She looks fantastic. Good for her and the Dr.

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 9:54 PM

It is wonderful that so much money was raised for the cancer center, but why on earth does anyone think OJN has any warm fuzzies about a jacket she wore in a movie? Why do people think there is any sentiment attached to a movie prop?

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 9:59 PM

It was a breakout roll that gave her a career, international fame, and the jacket and pants made her a sex symbol. Not too hard to figure out

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 10:37 PM

[quote] It was a breakout roll

Jesus, I have to Oh, DEAR myself!

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 11:20 PM

It is wonderful that so much money was raised for the cancer center, but why on earth does anyone think OJN has any warm fuzzies about a jacket she wore in a movie? Why do people think there is any sentiment attached to a movie prop?

Well, maybe the fact she still had it after 40 years might clue you in.

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2019 11:53 PM

For somebody in her “Sad Final Days,” that Olivia sure gets around.

Here she was in October performing with DL Fave Connor Hart Vorrias:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2019 12:02 AM

[quote] the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Research and Wellness Centre in Australia.

They should have named it instead A Place Where Nobody Dared to Go.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2019 12:11 AM

[quote] R20 It was a breakout roll

[quote] r21 Jesus, I have to Oh, DEAR myself!

It was a breakout TROLL!

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2019 12:12 AM

[quote] It was a breakout roll that gave her a career, international fame,

You think she didn't have a career and international fame before '"Grease"??? You need to read up on your 70s cultural history.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2019 12:13 AM

You want a breakout roll? Try my Let's Roll Cinnamon Rolls, THE cinammon roll of 9/11!

by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2019 1:02 AM

Damn, Darren has porked up.

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2019 1:11 AM

ONJ just couldn't stand that Lorna Luft was getting some attention. From Lorna's Instagram...

37 years ago, I made a movie called Grease 2. It was one of my favorite experiences. I loved working on the movie and from it, made life long friendships that I treasure.

When the movie wrapped, I wanted my “Pink Lady” jacket but the studio would not allow any of us to have our jackets. It made me sad.

Many years later, I found out the studio had held an auction and my "Pink Lady" jacket was purchased as part of the memorabilia from the movie. I truly thought, "Oh well, I’ll never see my jacket again." Some years later I met a lovely girl named Lori Boyles who told me she had bought my jacket. I was happy that it was being looked after but told her that if she ever wanted to part with it to please contact me for I would love to have it back for my children and now grandchildren. Well today Christmas came early. Lori came to the theater in Durham, North Carolina. with my pink lady jacket in tow and said to me that it was time for my jacket to go home. After 37 years I got my beloved jacket back! I am a very grateful Paulette "Pink Lady"! Thank you Lori for making my White Christmas a Pink Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2019 1:18 AM

Next thing you know, ONJ will be claiming she was molested!

by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2019 1:19 AM

Love Lorna in full high whore drag makeup and a baseball cap. If I gave her that jacket I’d expect her to put on her wig for the picture,

by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2019 1:59 AM

Both of these bitches better plan on being buried in those jackets.

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2019 3:11 AM

Reunite Dody Goodman with her athletic supporter, and then we'll really have a thread.

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2019 7:14 PM

How adorable are ONJ and JT at the Grease sing along dressed as Sandy and Danny!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2019 9:36 PM

Am I the only one who this this “biggest fan” is most likely gay? I can’t imagine a straight man saying he’s her biggest fan and spending over $200,000 on a jacket just to give it back.

by Anonymousreply 35December 14, 2019 9:39 PM

bitch will just sell it again and give the money to her ugly daughter for more surgery

by Anonymousreply 36December 14, 2019 9:43 PM

[quote]Am I the only one who this this “biggest fan” is most likely gay? I can’t imagine a straight man saying he’s her biggest fan and spending over $200,000 on a jacket just to give it back.

He is also a Dr and the money was a donation to her Cancer Center.

by Anonymousreply 37December 14, 2019 9:52 PM

Lizzo has a breakout roll

by Anonymousreply 38December 14, 2019 9:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!