Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Harry Styles Fine Line Part 4

For when the paywall comes down on part 3.

by Anonymousreply 82December 20, 2019 1:34 AM

I am a Larry shipper, a Larry believer if you will.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 8:22 PM

The other thread is done.... just wanted to say HQ is back and it really makes a big difference for some songs. There might be a handful of okay or even fairly nice ones on it, after all. Will have to listen to it again tomorrow with fresh ears.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2019 4:40 AM

Sooo... fresh ears, HQ and good earphones really helped. As does not listening to amazing music or Harry's first album before lol. There's definitely a tiki bar vibe to the album. Not the most fitting thing in December, but okay..

Unsurprisingly I think She is the best song of the album, the last 1-2 minutes are especially nice, thank you, Mitch. To Be So Lonely and Golden are not bad and Cherry might grow on me as well, even though all of them are somewhat repetitive. Golden makes me think it might be a lot better as live version with more guitars. Canyon Moon is a bit like this album's Anna, which was the only song of the HS1 era that I didn't like. Falling is a nice enough piano ballad, that sounds like it could be off a 6th 1D album. I wonder if he will sing that one live. Sunflower Vol. 6 is meh to me and Fine Line sounds exactly like a Bon Iver song (if Justin Vernon would sing "we'll be a fine line" over and over again). I'm laughing at the people, who accused Harry of copying whatever 70s musician they associated with HS1 - imho nothing on HS1 sounds as much like another artist as Fine Line, sorry. Last, but not... no, strike that, last and last: TPWK. It's atrocious. It sounds like something out of Sesame Street, no joke. Why, Harry???

So all in all I'm left with one song I actually like, some songs I'm okay with or that might grow on me more, some songs I'm indifferent to and some songs I'm not exactly a fan of. I guess it could have been worse, if I'm an optimist? The other 9 songs could've been all like TPWK lol. But for me personally it could have been a lot better too tbh.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2019 1:36 PM

đź’…đź‘ź

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2019 9:31 PM

Just listening to Golden, which I really like but would have been a lot better without the 'de dum de dum' type chanting in the background. Another complaint is that Harry's voice sounds American and not at its full depth/texture in Golden.

Now for Falling. Okay, his voice is back at full strength now, with a nice serrated edge to it. He is distraught and caught up in his usual jealousy and self flagellation. This one is really stripped back and for fans of his voice and of piano ballads. 'I get the feeling that you'll never need me again.' Poor Harry.

SHE next. I like the sonics of this. Sounds very 70s. At least it's a big, layered track with lots going on in the production. Larries are going to have a field day with the nautical imagery. 'She lives in daydreams with me and I don't know why, I don't know who she is' - they're gonna say this is all about a beard, including the one on this thread. 'She sleeps in his bed, while he plays pretend.'

I really like the full, sumptrous sound of She, though - weird lyrics aside.

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2019 11:14 PM

Cherry. More plinky plink sounds. A bit reminiscent of a piano player in an old fashioned French bar. 'Don't you call me baby/We ain't talking lately' - Harry, you can do better than this, boy. It has a kind of hypnotic. looping feel to it but the production is too simple for me until about two thirds of the way through when it bulks up. His voice is lovely on this one though. Camille's voice mail is sweet and fits the track.

All these are first listens for me.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2019 11:19 PM

To Be So Lonely. 'I was just a little boy"? This has a Spanish guitar and some distortion on the vocals. Again he's saying 'don't call me baby again.' Seems that he and Camille were on and off a bit and sometimes slept together when they were officially broken up. Not my kind of thing at all.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2019 11:22 PM

Sunflower Vol 1.

I really like the complex production on this. It has a kind of indie, bubbling, popping vibe to it. ' Kiss in the kitchen like it's a dancefloor' is a cute line, again with a slight Latino guitar. His voice is perfect on this and at the end he veers up into a series of howls and yips, like he and Camille are alone in the desert outside LA, sitting on the hood of a big classic car and having fun making their voices echo.

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2019 11:29 PM

'Fine Line' I really like. Starts out softly but by the end soaring synths are shimmering through it like a shoal of silver fish. Looks like he finds Camille hard to fathom, with her being older and having years and years of relationships and life experiences behind her. 'Spreading you open is the only way of knowing you.' Sex is not the best way to get to know somebody, as he knows. He'd be better off with someone less sophisticated and younger.

by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2019 11:33 PM

Canyon Moon has country vibes, another song all about missing Camille and LA. Not really my kind of vibe with all the clapping and whistling but his voice is excellent on it. 'She plays an old lover's hippie music, pretends not to know the words'. More evidence that he was insecure about Camille's past relationships with more intellectual, older men like Cameron Avery and the Devandra guy.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2019 11:37 PM

Treat People with Kindness - didn't expect to like this but I actually do. A definite favourite for his arena shows, with everyone singing along and chanting and dancing. I can see it being co-opted for adverts too. Maybe Diet Coke.

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2019 11:40 PM

And that's all nine new tracks. I can see why the critics like this one. 84 on Metacritic, bitches! Liam has 44.

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2019 11:42 PM

R5 I actually find the lyrics of She not uninteresting, probably because I'm in general not opposed to lyrics telling a story. And it seems to me that it's about a guy leading a domestic life, but secretly dreaming of running away with his dream woman - so much that she's even kind of present in the (marital?) bed. That's actually surprisingly... naughty? Problematic? I kind of like that.

But I have to say that I mostly pay attention to the melody, sound, vocals, instrumentals etc. of a song and the lyrics are not the most important thing to me, unless they are especially horrid (or great). There are plenty of songs I find amazing with bland lyrics and songs I don't listen to, even though the lyrics might be good.

R10 Canyon Moon sounds more like a... idk... campfire song to me than country? Or is all "campfire" stuff country? Maybe I'm just listening to other country.

R11 Ugh, TPWK is ... I really dislike it. So much lol. I hope he plays that at the very end of his set, so I can leave earlier. If he wants me to sing that along at the concert, I might sell my ticket tbh.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2019 12:15 AM

For me the first album is 10 times better than Fine Line, I might not have particularly noticed Harry and his music with this album. If I'd heard the B-side somewhere, which is my favourite overall, I'd have thought it's a nice tune, but that's it. In fact I think my favourite part of the whole album is the last 3 minutes of She, which is pure instrumental and Mitch's guitar solo. Sorry, Harry.

Btw I've recently stumbled across this quote of Jeff Bhasker about HS1:

[quote]Instead, Bhasker points to Styles’ guitarist and co-writer Mitch Rowland as being a key factor in the album’s creation. “He’s kind of like the Keith Richards to Harry’s Mick Jagger. That type of dynamic between the lead guitar player and the singer needs to exist for the type of music Harry wants to do.”

We don't really know what kind of influence Harry's co-writers had on the whole album writing process and overall sound, however if Mitch was so instrumental, he might have been a very big factor of HS1, bigger than I thought. It would explain why the second album sounds so different, when Harry had more confidence to make the more fun music, he truly wants to make and why Stevie Nicks said it's "pure Harry" this time. Maybe because there was far less Mitch? So I wonder if I was actually a fan of Mitch's sound and not Harry's all along - of course with Harry's voice, but still.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2019 12:28 AM

It's now number one on the ITunes album chart in 43 different countries including the UK and Aus, NZ, Germany,France. It has beaten Stormzy in the UK. Not released in the US and Canada for another few hours.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2019 12:34 AM

R14, maybe you should check out Mitch's band. I'm sure it's somewhere online,

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2019 12:35 AM

Btw when it comes to Harry's voice Falling is definitely the best song of Fine Line. I like some falsetto, but I think overall it's a bit much on that album, especially considering how good his normal voice is.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2019 12:36 AM

Mitch song

I think the Mitch fan here loves the slide guitar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2019 2:08 AM

Harry Lambert needs to leave Harry Styles life! ASAP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2019 3:21 AM

11 out of 19 posts. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2019 3:36 AM

R20 = Welp Troll

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2019 4:13 AM

R21 Piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2019 5:39 AM

harry was awesome hosting James corden…. give the kid a chat show !!!!

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2019 6:38 AM

the album is actually pretty damn good in my opinion... if only he and the album cover weren't ugly as sin

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2019 7:09 PM

R18 That's Mike Rowland, but I mean "A Gentle Message of Hope" is not unfitting lol.

I've found two of Mitch's former projects, one of them is Total Navajo from 2014 (you can find them on bandcamp), together with Ryan Nasci, who also wrote on HS1. Ryan plays bass, Mitch the rest and sings. It's pretty good, not all songs are my thing, but for example Hand Jive - nice!

The other band before that was Lionel The Jailbird (they're on bandcamp as well), where he played drums and probably didn't write any of the guitar parts, however I have to say I even prefer it to Total Navajo. I think some website described it as "hard blues/folk rock", which is right up my alley.

To me both bands don't really sound like Harry's first album though, especially not Total Navajo, where Mitch wrote most stuff. But maybe he was still the creative force behind the rock songs of that album, who knows.

Does anyone know which songs of HS1 where written when? Obviously Two Ghosts was written in 2014 and I think Sweet Creature was written pretty early too? Then I know that Kiwi (and Medicine) were written in early 2016 when Harry still had his long hair. And Carolina was one of the last songs they've done in Jamaica, but otherwise... Does anyone know more?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2019 12:22 AM

Harry is handsome, charming and talented but he really cant write songs and neither can the group he works with.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2019 2:00 AM

R26 Which kind of song or sound do you think would fit him better? Are there examples of songs where you think something like that would be great for him? (Genuine question, I'm always curious what kind of musician/singer people see in Harry.)

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2019 2:45 AM

The first album fit better. JMO

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2019 4:12 AM

I'd like to see him write some songs like Shiver, Spies and Sparks from Coldplay's first album, Parachutes.

Fine Line launch party went well. Stevie Nicks came up and sang with H and he also sang a Christmas song. Ellen was there.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2019 6:46 AM

anything he chooses to sings is ok by me, his emotive spirit and dulcet voice thrill me and make my prostate quiver...

by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2019 2:09 PM

R28 Oh nice! I mean, I've always beeen vocal (and probably annoyingly whiny lol, sorry everyone) about my love for his first album. But it's nice to see someone sharing that opinion. Especially since most people seem to like his second album a lot better? Although it will be interesting to me how people will see things 2-3 years, when Fine Line isn't all new and shiny anymore - if the love for one album over the other evens out or if they might be even more vocal about not liking HS1 all that much.

In general I find it interesting how so many people say the new songs are so much better and are such a development, but yesterday at the launch party, they still went completely bonkers for Kiwi. Or when they still mention Medicine or even the Ultralight Beam cover all the time. Or when one of the most viewed recent fan videos is Harry in his Elvis jumpsuit (best outfit in this era) walking backstage at the Jingle Bell Ball to Do I Wanna Know by the Arctic Monkeys. Seems to me that the fans wouldn't really be opposed to a more alternative/indie rock Harry.

R29 I could imagine that as well. Is Harry still friends with Chris Martin? Btw Coldplay's first album always makes me think of Travis' Sing and their flying octopus video lol, because I think these song all came out at a similar time and back then I've always mistaken Travis for Coldplay and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2019 6:52 PM

Holy shit, if HDD's estimation for Harry's first week sales in the US:

[quote] Based on early reads, he's headed for a blockbuster chart bow. Harry Styles (Columbia) 420-440k total activity, 320-340k album

If these numbers turn out to be close, those are massive first week sales. HS1 had 230k first week sales iirc. A lot vinly too, which means more $.

Makes me wonder what that will mean for the sound and song writing of his third album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2019 7:12 PM

Harry is predicted to sell 400k of Fine Line, which is over 100k more than he sold of HS1 - in the US on the first week alone. All the Fine Line songs are in the top 20 on Spotify. HSHQ knew exactly what they were doing with the Lights Up Spotify bait and the huge increase in his listeners, all of whom will have been recommended Fine Line. Very clever strategy to increase his listeners and streams.

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2019 11:40 PM

R33 As I said in R32 it makes me wonder what this will mean for the sound of the third album. Will Harry (and his team) see it as a sign that the new pop sound works well and write more songs like Lights Up? Or was this kind of the middle album, where he wanted to go big and commercially successful, so he can make his record label happy and maybe make a not that popular third album?

Btw I don't think that the success of Fine Line comes solely from Lights Up and Spotify streams. I'm sure many people discovered Harry now through the singles, but there are also a lot of people, that discovered him in the 2 years between his first album release and now. I see so many people online, who say they've been only fans for a year or less. Many didn't pay much attention to some boyband member releasing a solo album in 2017, so of course they didn't buy the album in the first week. But they might have heard a HS1 song or seen some tour videos or read an interview in the meantime.

The second factor is for sure the tour bundles. I think Harry did those back in 2017 too, but his first theatre tour was much smaller, so he sold a lot less (additional) units with the tickets. This time he had everyone pre-order for pre-sale codes, which improves first week numbers, and of course his big arena tour means a lot more redeemable digital downloads. His team also had a lot of merchandise this time, including a lot of "limited" stuff in different designs, which was released little by little. So the fans ordered stuff for Lights Up, for Adore You, now for the album - and every merch item came with a digital download too.

I feel the real test will be how well Fine Line holds up after first week sales and also in Europe, where there was no tour pre-sale with codes.

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2019 12:42 AM

I just did some rough maths: His small theatre tour in 2017 had a capacity of about 45k altogether - in 2020 his two sold out nights in MSG alone mean 40k in (bundled) digital sales if everyone redeems their album. And those are just two nights out of 36 (!) dates in the US. They were of course not all sold out before Fine Line's first week, but we can still assume that the bundles for such a big tour mean a massive increase in redeemed digital downloads.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2019 12:55 AM

Let's just wait and see what really happens with this album. Predictions are just that, predictions.

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2019 2:41 AM

R31 And they still freak out for his version of What Makes You Beautiful. And, that's ok.

by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2019 2:48 AM

HE IS A HUGE STAR

AND JUST WAIT TILL HE GETS THE RIGHT MOVIE ROLE

OSCAR !!!

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2019 10:10 AM

[QUOTE] Seems to me that the fans wouldn't really be opposed to a more alternative/indie rock Harry.

This was the fans' dream when 1d split, but the majority of his fandom would buy/go to see him reading the dictionary, so he can explore different genres of music without fear of losing his core fan base. Many Harries, coming from 1d, found songs like Sweet Creature and FTDT way too stripped back, and welcomed the 'bops' that are the 3 singles.

Fine Line is his summery LA album, painted in gold and pink (strawberry rainbow/lipstick/melon/berries/lemon over ice/sunflower). Maybe HS3 will be his London album, darker and more intense, with indie/Britpop influences.

by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2019 4:27 PM

[QUOTE] If these numbers turn out to be close, those are massive first week sales. HS1 had 230k first week sales iirc. A lot vinly too, which means more $

If this figure is true, he'll have the 3rd biggest debut of the year, behind Taylor and Post Malone.

by Anonymousreply 40December 15, 2019 4:30 PM

Harry is getting a lot of grief on social media for saying 'who cares' about his sexuality. Also stated that sexuality should be 'fun'. Pretty blinkered.

Seems obvious to me that he is a bisexual who is heteroromantic. Serious relationships with women, hook ups/flings with men. Similar to Bowie and Jagger.

by Anonymousreply 41December 15, 2019 4:44 PM

R39 I think I'd like a darker, more intense album. Some fans hoped his second album would be a bit like that, something where Medicine would fit as track - especially after that photo op with the black water and flower petals was rumoured to be for the album artwork and there seemed to be a car crash involved in the music video. Btw what became of that black water/petal photo? And the Lights Up director's cut?

Speaking of "dark artwork" I wonder why they chose the artwork they did for Fine Line. Of course there's the psychedelic, trippy Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass feel to it, but as such it's not exactly light and summery either. I agree that despite being a breakup album, there's a quite summery LA beach vibe to it. Even the slow sad songs seem to be tinged with an ocean breeze. So personally I think the photos of Harry and the others in the recording studio, that are included in the deluxe version of the CD, convey the album vibe somehow better. But I guess if you have the chance to work with Tim Walker, you grab that chance, no matter what your album sounds like lol.

by Anonymousreply 42December 15, 2019 10:04 PM

Falling is the darkest song he's recorded yet, and the one that is selling best. It's at 8 on US itunes, so fans would definitely welcome more of the same.

by Anonymousreply 43December 15, 2019 10:26 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2019 11:08 PM

Why are all you old pedos listening to this twink's shitty music?

by Anonymousreply 45December 15, 2019 11:13 PM

R45, he's 25. You have a weird definition of pedo. I guess you only fuck 80 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 46December 15, 2019 11:17 PM

R43 Yes, I also think it's one of the best of the album. But it's also a very classic piano ballad (which isn't bad at all) and it showcases his great voice, so I'm not surprised people like it.

R41 It's mostly a social media thing, though, right? Because there are lots of regular Guardian readers under the article and they don't seem to care much about that part or the wording. Most have said he comes across as nice and likable, even if they don't listen to his music. It just reflects that the general public is often so much more relaxed and cares a lot less about these things than social media fans with their outrage and cancel culture. And the social media journalists with their "think pieces" on everything.

Personally I'm just glad he denied that he tries to "communicate" his sexual orientation through his choice of clothes, which is such an antiquated notion imho (it's like the 70s and 80s with all the glam rockers and the New Romantics movement, where men of all kinds of sexual orientation wore genderbending fashion, never existed). Or that he uses certain colours in his artwork to express his fluid sexuality or something. He plainly said that his choice of fashion and artwork is the result of him working with collaborators and preferred aesthetics. He just thinks it looks cool. At least now all the Larries and others can stop analysing every nail polish colour and use it as "proof" for whatever they want. Whoever he sleeps with, it's not reflected in his nail polish.

by Anonymousreply 47December 15, 2019 11:28 PM

R47, I wish he'd develop his vocab a little bit more and use words like 'aesthetics' instead of 'cool' and 'fun'. He mixes with intellectuals, reads books, yet frustratingly it doesn't seem to transfer over to his interviews. And I speak as a Harry stan.

Front row fans at the LA Forum reported that they tried to get security to pass rainbow flags up to the stage and they refused, unlike at every other concert he has played. Perhaps they won't be part of the Fine Line tour? Louis, on the other hand, is playing lots of Jingle Ball type shows around the US and his fans always manage to throw Pride flags onto the stage. His tour is being called the Rainbow Graveyard tour because of these sad heaps of fallen rainbows. Not his fault, just the stupid Larries that dominate his fandom.

by Anonymousreply 48December 15, 2019 11:36 PM

I wish Harry would do some songs that are just him, not a group effort.

by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2019 11:55 PM

'II wish Harry would do some songs that are just him, not a group effort.'

You want him to be be writer, producer, and play all the instruments too? Nobody does that. Even Ed Sheeran has a producer credited and Adele works with other writers too.

He is one of only two writers credited on Falling, though, as it's a simple piano ballad.

by Anonymousreply 50December 16, 2019 1:42 AM

All the lyrics are Harry's. Only Larries say otherwise to try and explain the female pronouns, references, recordings etc Harry has worked with the same few producers since the start of his solo career, in stark contrast to Liam Painful, who credits 25 PRODUCERS alone on LP1.

by Anonymousreply 51December 16, 2019 1:47 AM

I love the guitar solo at the end of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 16, 2019 1:51 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 16, 2019 1:53 AM

R48 Interesting, I guess we'll see if it was just for the album release thing. I wouldn't fault him if he tries to put the focus just on his music this tour, simply because people focused so much on him waving the fans' flags during WMYB. He obviously cares about LGBTQ+ issues and wants all his fans to feel welcome at his concerts. But sometimes you had the impression people saw him more as an activist than a musician - which invited of course criticism as well (for not doing enough, for not acknowledging enough causes, all the "queerbaiting" voices etc.). When fans see someone as their spokesperson, they'll demand more and more and get upset if they don't do what they want them to do. But maybe this time it just had something to do with the venue or the security guys or because it was the album release party and as such not part of the tour.

Larries will never learn, although some might hopefully wake up if Louis doesn't pick up a single flag during his tour. There are still so many Larries around, it's astonishing to me, especially since it's an obviously dying ship/delusion! If Louis ever picks up one of the pride flags, they might emerge from the dead in droves. A horrible thought.

by Anonymousreply 54December 16, 2019 2:31 AM

R54 The sad part is Louis shouldn't have to be afraid to pick one up.

It's interesting that of all the concerts in my area Louis sold out in 2 days. Yes, I know his venue is very, very small but it's interesting. Niall and Harry are at the same venue here and sales are a bit sluggish for both. But there is almost 6 months to their concerts, so I'm sure they will sell well.

by Anonymousreply 55December 16, 2019 3:19 AM

R49 Yes, it would be interesting! But as R50 pointed out, not very feasible, since he can hardly write all the different instrument's parts and anything that production adds. So a "pure Harry" track would necessarily have to be very simple, just guitar/piano and voice, I guess.

I think the "many songwriters" thing is regarded as something very pop, but traditional bands technically also have 2-4 songwriters for every song, if they write together. It's just that pop singers often have changing songwriters and are the face of the collaborative effort. But it doesn't automatically mean they're less involved in their songwriting than if they were part of a traditional band. I also think the whole crediting thing is a bit different nowadays, because every small addition/change gets credited, whereas I think in the past it was often said that a certain song was written by XY, when this person was responsible for the main melody and words.

Of course there are also people like Jack White, who truly do everything, even produce. But the man is a beast and he basically breathes music. I don't even like everything he does, but it's clear that he's exceptional and a total music nerd. He's also 20 years older than Harry and from a very different music career background, so I guess we can't compare that at all.

But yeah, just because other songwriters are credited, it doesn't mean that Harry isn't very involved in the creation of his own music (and at the very least has to say yes or no in the end). For most songs we'll probably never know the exact amount of involvement, but for example looking at the publishing rights organisations databases can give you an idea. It seems for example that on Sign of the Times, which has 6 songwriters, Harry did about 50 % (which would leave only about 10 % for each of the others, although I doubt everyone contributed equally). It's likely that Mitch did the guitar stuff and Jeff Bhasker has to have played a role in the whole instrumentation and we know he also changed some word, so the others likely only did small contributions. Which means that Harry probably did most of the melody and words of Sign of the Times himself, which is supports his story of writing it on the piano during lunch break. I still think it's his best song.

by Anonymousreply 56December 16, 2019 3:25 AM

Louis' concerts are the true measure of how many Larries are still around. He's mainly playing 2k places and the ones in Sydney and Melbourne still have plenty of tickets, so not many Larries there. In London he's sold out the 2k Roundhouse two nights running and the same in NYC for Pier 17. The Canadian and mid west venues still have plenty of tickets but LA has sold out. Seems like Larrie is an east coast/west coast thing.

by Anonymousreply 57December 16, 2019 3:34 AM

R55 Louis' core fans (Larries or not) are very dedicated and they've waited for his tour for a long time - good for him that it's sold out! I think it's important for the future course of his career to sell out most of the venues on his tour.

I guess a similar number (or even more) dedicated core fans of Harry and Niall have also bought tickets to their concerts, but as you said, their venues are much bigger. If Louis sells out a 2k place in two days and Niall sells 3k tickets for a 9k place, he still has a third more fans than Louis, even though he only sold 1/3 of his tickets. Although I agree, I think a lot more tickets will be sold until the concerts, especially since the US has this dynamic pricing system and ticket prices can be crazy during the height of demand at the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2019 3:35 AM

R57 I think Larries are still a huge thing in countries like Indonesia or the Philippines (just from what I've seen online). No idea how his tour sells there, though. I can imagine the UK concerts might have less Larrie percentage than in other countries, because it's his home turf and I think he's much more "present" and known in UK media - especially through X Factor. So he might have a lot more fans there than in countries that know him solely from 1D and the ship.

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2019 3:39 AM

I'm in the midwest and Louis sold out in 2 says

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2019 4:01 AM

There are also lots of Larries in Brazil and Mexico for some reason, so those stops on his Rainbow Graveyard Tour sold well.

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2019 8:54 AM

Niall needs a new stylist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 16, 2019 9:58 PM

Most of the time his outfits are fine, but those are really some ill-fitting trousers.

by Anonymousreply 63December 17, 2019 6:15 AM

The Big Pants Tour

by Anonymousreply 64December 17, 2019 7:55 AM

he is a breath of fresh air among the closet queens who are chicken to free themselves of the gender labels of the past.

rite on harry !!

by Anonymousreply 65December 18, 2019 1:14 AM

Fans are getting sick of Harry Styles’ “maybe I am, maybe I’m not” answers about being bisexual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 18, 2019 2:23 AM

The album cover is light blue, salmon, pink and black. The bi flag is pink (yes), but otherwise clearly violet and dark blue. The colour schemes look nothing alike? Who came up with the "Fine Line is the bi flag" thing?

Same goes with his fashion choices and people, who act like wearing a pussybow blouse = announcement that you like dick. What year do we have again? 1953? Wearing "feminine" clothes makes you automatically and firmly gay or what? People reading into fashion choices or colours like Larries read into tattoos most of the time bait themselves. (It's not surprising Harry get also accused of "Larrie-baiting.")

He keeps not publicly stating his sexuality and I guess that's his right. So in the end nobody really knows anything and probably never will, it's time to accept that.

If people don't like it, that's okay, there are plenty of very outspoken LGBTQ+ artists out there, that would be happy to gain fans. I don't get the fixation on Harry Styles in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 67December 18, 2019 3:42 AM

Hey, ya cant be a big star if u say ur gay....well that's what they say.....he is above it all and wants to be loved by the WHOLE EARTH.

by Anonymousreply 68December 18, 2019 8:24 AM

I dont' care, I will admit it. I like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 18, 2019 6:36 PM

R69 Not my kind of music, but he's always better live imho. He's a good singer and personally I dislike all the vocal effects they usually put on pop music vocals in production nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 70December 18, 2019 6:42 PM

Harry covered Lizzo's Juice on BBC Live Lounge today. Not a great surprise tbh, I thought he might cover Lizzo and Juice was the best fit of her current songs, I think. But it's a bit high for him and his voice is a bit wasted on that song imho. Nothing against Lizzo, I think her songs are funny and fit her very well, I just think he's best with a different kind of music, although it's hard to find something in the top 40 of the last weeks apart from Lewis Capaldi.

And ugh, he covered Wonderful Christmastime, which has to be one of the most annoying Christmas songs lol. Harry, Wham's Last Christmas was right there!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 18, 2019 7:18 PM

Good performance though, you can tell he has fun with that song, which is great. And the lyrics changes were cute.

by Anonymousreply 72December 18, 2019 7:51 PM

'Harry, Wham's Last Christmas was right there!'

Too high for him. He really is leaning on his three new female backing singers in a lot of these songs. I wish he'd just sing within his register.

by Anonymousreply 73December 19, 2019 12:22 AM

New HD version of Last Christmas. Sadly Styles cannot hope for such an effortless top register, unassisted by females. Zayn could try wailing it but I don't think his voice is strong enough for the belting bits. George Micheal is still the best singer to come out of the UK in the past fifty years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 19, 2019 12:33 AM

all the trix he has had, there aint no nudies of him????

by Anonymousreply 75December 19, 2019 2:25 AM

R73 Well, personally I don't mind if a cover is lower (or higher) than the original and in general a unique version, so I think they could've played/sang it a bit lower to fit his register. But in reality I guess I'd have been fine with anything other than Wonderful Christmastime lol.

R74 George Michael was great, incredibly charismatic, lovely voice, even though it wasn't the most powerful. But I think the UK had a number of great singers in the past 50 years.

For me range and effortless top register isn't that important. For example Adele doesn't have a huge range or amazing top register for a female singer, but she's still an amazing singer, very recognisable, lots of soul, very pleasant - apart from damaging her vocal cords with her technique, but that's another topic. A very interesting one, possibly also in regards to Harry, but I guess a complex one and I don't know enough about that.

When it comes to Harry's register, what do you think are good songs for him (both from HS1 and FL)?

by Anonymousreply 76December 19, 2019 3:58 AM

R76 - ESNY, Falling, Cherry, Sunflower Vol 6, MMITH.

by Anonymousreply 77December 19, 2019 4:54 AM

R77 Interesting choices! Because I think those are among the songs, where he sounds a bit similar to his vocals in 1D? Except the bridge & falsetto in Sunflower Vol. 6 and probably ESNY. But in terms of vocal range, ESNY is actually higher than Two Ghosts I'd say, Falling is not dissimilar to Sign of the Times without the last high notes, and in MMITH the chorus ("Just let me know I'll be at the door") has some pretty high belting, not that different from Adore You. In fact I'd say FTDT is easier to sing for him than MMITH?

by Anonymousreply 78December 19, 2019 5:19 AM

Harry's Big PR machine is in high gear.

by Anonymousreply 79December 19, 2019 10:54 PM

How so?

by Anonymousreply 80December 20, 2019 1:32 AM

never cared for George Michael, I musta picked up on his trashy low life vibes..

by Anonymousreply 81December 20, 2019 1:33 AM

Harry stop smoking whatev ur smoking, ur throat is getting fukd up

by Anonymousreply 82December 20, 2019 1:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!