Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do millennials do that makes you want to smack the stupid off of their faces?

I once was taking a sketch writing class at SC and this twit said he had no clue who Carol Burnett is.

by Anonymousreply 120December 26, 2019 5:09 PM

so because young people have no idea who a woman who's last media appearance was over 30 years ago, you want to smack them?

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 7:52 PM

I don't know how old you are, but that post makes me wanna knock the shit out of both of you.

Now get the fuck off of my lawn.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 7:54 PM

[1] I do if said millennial is in a sketch writing class and his goal is to be a sketch comedy writer

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 7:56 PM

What do elderly assholes do that makes you want to smack them in the face?

1.Vote for Trump

2.Vote against gays

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 8:01 PM

When they claim they have social anxiety. Jesus christ.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 8:03 PM

Millenials and Gen Xers are totally full of themselves. Generally no experience, no direct knowledge - but jesus, they won't shut up. They're smug, tight assed little creeps.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 8:04 PM

Ok boomer.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 8:06 PM

When they don't have a fucking driver's license.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 8:06 PM

I’d rather bitch slap the Baby Boomers for watching Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 8:06 PM

What R9 said.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 8:08 PM

Millennials are so easily brainwashed.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 8:09 PM

Carol Burnett's importance is very much of a specific time and place; it's not like she's some international, timeless icon of sketch comedy like the Monty Pythons.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 8:10 PM

I'd rather smack the stupid off the face of someone who makes sweeping generalizations about large groups of people. No, I'm not a millennial.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 8:13 PM

They don't know how to write. They literally do...not...know...how...to...WRITE. Some of them don't know how to write their own names, I kid you not.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2019 8:16 PM

Except in this case, such generalizations are correct.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2019 8:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2019 8:46 PM

R15 Generalizations are never correct.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 8:47 PM

So Boomer OP is taking a sketch writing class to... give him something to do in his retirement?

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 8:47 PM

Ok Greta @R1

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 8:49 PM

[bold] The One Where Eldergays Find Specious Reasons To Hate On Younger People When It's Obvious The Real Reason Is "They Don't Find Me Sexually Attractive" [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 8:52 PM

When they bring their "coping tools" to the office. Play-doh, coloring books, crayons and colored markers, and so on. These items are supposed to relieve their stress. It's unacceptable in the workplace. If they can't handle the job, they shouldn't take it. Some at my office even requested napping rooms for mid-day siestas. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 8:57 PM

R17: they are correct when there’s plenty of real world evidence to support them.

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2019 9:12 PM

Let’s not do gratuitous division posts until after the 2020 election.

This thread is so lame and contrived.

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2019 9:18 PM

R21, the coping tool for elderly people is to be racist, homophobic, and xenophobic. That's why elderly people love Trump.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2019 9:19 PM

They constantly undress me with their eyes!!

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2019 9:38 PM

Inability to listen, watch, and learn because they are sure that their way is the best even if they are still in their first 30 days of employment.

I hate to generalize, and my comments aren't limited to Millennials. I'm just amazed by many of the "youngsters" that come through our department. At any new job, it would never have occurred to me to contradict a trainer or supervisor by saying, "Oh no, that's not how I like to do it." We had a few supervisory positions open recently, and every newbie with under six months on the job applied, with serious expectations even though some hadn't yet completed all levels of introductory training. They were competing with numerous qualified co-workers with 5, 10, even 15 years of experience. When none of the newbies were promoted, the bellyaching was unbelievable. They even complained about the "unfairness" to other applicants with many years experience who had also not been promoted. Clueless on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2019 9:38 PM

I'm Gen X and I know who Carol Burnett is but I wish I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2019 9:40 PM

Went into a store yesterday and the idiot millennial behind the counter finished wrapping and boxing an item (to be clear: he was not helping anyone, he was packing up a box, alone), and wouldn’t stop fiddling with it as I stood there waiting for help. Then I said “if you’re too busy, I’ll go to someone else”, and he finally, FINALLY figured out that perhaps the box could wait and maybe he should help the customer in front of him. I wanted to crawl across the counter and rip his head off, because he looked wounded that he couldn’t finish his little task. Another counter girl was screaming loudly across the aisle at her coworker, who looked like he wanted to buy earplugs. No I am not a boomer.

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2019 9:42 PM

1. Claim that even the mildest bad experience involving sex is automatically the WORST THING EVER ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET ! 2. Express statements or opinions as questions, ie " I think the movie was good? And I enjoyed it? But the acting could have been better? ". 3. Jump on any twitter outrage bandwagon without bothering to form an actual opinion of their own.

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2019 9:45 PM

Among male millenials, an almost unbelievable level of laziness and lack of motivation. Among female millenials, a habit of dressing inappropriately for work and then screaming "Misogyny! " if anyone brings up dress code.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2019 9:51 PM

Eldergays on this thread be like

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2019 10:12 PM

So-called professional women talking like babies.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2019 10:18 PM

[quote] so because young people have no idea who a woman who's last media appearance was over 30 years ago,

I want to smack the stupid off of the faces of people who write "who's" when they meant to write "whose."

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2019 10:20 PM

Their stupid banjo/mandolin/whistling/faux tribal yelping shit that they call music. And their hangups on bacon and scooters. Jesus PETE!

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2019 10:20 PM

To be fair, there is a TON of shit that I'd like to smack Boomer's faces over and this includes my parents (and they are very liberal).

The only thing about millennials that really bugs me is their faith in social media. Twitter, Youtube and Facebook do not represent the "real" world. They just don't.

I've heard people say,, "it isn't trending" on whatever platform. Trends on Twitter and Youtube are absolutely hand picked. It has nothing to do with actual views/re-tweets. To think it is representative of the global populace (or even the majority of platform users, is at best naive.

by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2019 10:51 PM

R14 Cursive is not part of their tradition.

by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2019 10:56 PM

Look through me as if I was invisible in gay bars

by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2019 11:01 PM

Remind me of how old I am and how grizzled I look compared to them

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2019 11:01 PM

Say things like "yes, but that was 40 years ago!" when I'm posting about Madonna and the 80s

by Anonymousreply 39December 11, 2019 11:02 PM

Be able to rely on PRep

by Anonymousreply 40December 11, 2019 11:02 PM

Lotsa old fat Boomer farts on life support are marked as trolls here though. What a bunch of geriatric losers.

by Anonymousreply 41December 11, 2019 11:02 PM

Live in a world where gay marriage is legal and their straight friends don't write them off

by Anonymousreply 42December 11, 2019 11:03 PM

Block me on Grindr

by Anonymousreply 43December 11, 2019 11:03 PM

Block me on Scruff

by Anonymousreply 44December 11, 2019 11:03 PM

Tell me I'm older than their father

by Anonymousreply 45December 11, 2019 11:03 PM

Use apps like TIkTok and Snapchat that I can't figure out

by Anonymousreply 46December 11, 2019 11:04 PM

[quote] I once was taking a sketch writing class at SC and this twit said he had no clue who Carol Burnett is.

They teach writing at Sean Cody? .. I thought the guys just spoke with a little prompting prior to their intros; then the director edits what they want.

by Anonymousreply 47December 11, 2019 11:16 PM

R36, I'm a millennial and I learned cursive in school. You're confusing millennials with teenagers

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2019 11:40 PM

[quote] They teach writing at Sean Cody?

I AM NOT A PROSTATUTE!

by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2019 11:45 PM

The worst trait is limited to only a sliver of women millennials, and that is vocal fry. I hate it so much. It is ugly and is an affectation. I’m a teacher and so I can say with certainty that only some choose this as their accent or whatever you call it. I feel as if my skin is crawling with live wires and maggots when I hear it—-Mary!!!

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2019 12:09 AM

R50, misoggynist eldergays like you probably make their skin crawl

by Anonymousreply 51December 12, 2019 12:13 AM

[50] the guys do it too. It’s like nails on a chalkboard. You don’t want to be accused of being stupid...stop deliberately sounding so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 52December 12, 2019 12:15 AM

Meant "misogynist"

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2019 12:16 AM

I haven’t heard men/boys doing it, but that may just be that the tone of their voices is lower. I do think it’s self-sabotaging.

by Anonymousreply 54December 12, 2019 12:27 AM

Over the summer, one of the young female houseguests on Big Brother said her career goal is to become an "influencer" so she will be flown at no expense to important parties and make money by signing autographs for those at the parties who follow her.

I kid you not.

by Anonymousreply 55December 12, 2019 12:33 AM

[51] All teachers at my school, male and female, gay and straight, agree that it’s an unpleasant aural assault. Please imagine listening to Shakespeare recited in vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 56December 12, 2019 12:41 AM

I worked with three undergrad math majors who didn't know how to add, subtract, multiply, or divide in their heads.

That's why they always carried hand calculators with them.

by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2019 1:08 AM

We have a baby boomer president who lacks basic spelling and grammar skills....but apparently it's young people who are the problem!

by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2019 1:20 AM

Think Bernie Sanders should be President.

by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2019 1:27 AM

They're so...SENSITIVE. Their anxiety is boundless. Everything upsets them. Everything sets them off.

by Anonymousreply 60December 12, 2019 2:08 AM

Looking down at their cellphones, while wearing earphones, in the midst of walking through filled parking lots, rush-hour traffic intersections, and subway platforms with oncoming trains. The obliviousness is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 61December 12, 2019 2:23 AM

Their lack of communication skills. They don't know how to TALK to people. Twittering and texting and posting on social media doesn't exactly hone social skills, and that's all they do. Their "communication" is all online.

by Anonymousreply 62December 12, 2019 3:20 AM

So what? I have no clue who Carol Burnett is either.

by Anonymousreply 63December 12, 2019 3:39 AM

They resent having to take responsibility for their mistakes. Defensive when you point out their flaws.

by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2019 3:57 AM

OP, next you’ll tell me he’d never heard of Milton Berle, Steve Allen, or Sid Caesar.

by Anonymousreply 65December 12, 2019 11:59 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why OP was taking a sketch comedy writing class, what "SC" is (USC?) and where they found an intro level sketch comedy class where the vast majority of the class wasn't just out of college (because who else is looking to break into sketch comedy writing.)

by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2019 1:14 PM

The Dataloungers who whine about "Millennials" (i.e. anyone under retirement age, to them) post these things all the time but it doesn't do them any good. You don't get anything out of it, you just make yourself more miserable.

by Anonymousreply 67December 12, 2019 1:25 PM

SC = Second City

by Anonymousreply 68December 12, 2019 1:27 PM

[quote]I wanted to crawl across the counter and rip his head off

You seem sane.

by Anonymousreply 69December 12, 2019 1:27 PM

They sass & diss their elders to no end!

by Anonymousreply 70December 12, 2019 1:44 PM

Exist

by Anonymousreply 71December 12, 2019 1:59 PM

Wanting to move to the front of the line without actually having put in the work to be at the front of the line.

by Anonymousreply 72December 12, 2019 2:05 PM

Sorry. I am a college student, and there are a couple of boomers in class that have to sit as close as they can bc they cannot hear. Then, they constantly interrupt the prof to ask "questions" which are really veiled know it all crap crafted to prove to the younger prof that they know it all. Eye rolling shit, really. They constantly bring up how it was in the 80s without tech, and how they managed. VERY annoying ppl, boomers. Slowing class down, stroking their own egos....so ya. I wanna smack the stupid off of their faces.

by Anonymousreply 73December 12, 2019 2:06 PM

In addition to their phone addiction, social media obsession, verbal tics, whining, acting like teenagers instead of adults, etc., there are two things that really bug me.

1. I’ve found that many of them are absolutely unable to just sit and have any kind of in-depth, uninterrupted conversation. They just seem perpetually antsy. No, not all of them. But many. It’s annoying.

2. No sense of humor. For many millennials I’ve worked with or met outside of work, every joke is triggering, insensitive, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 74December 12, 2019 2:11 PM

That's funny, R74. I could have written that about elders and anyone over 40.

by Anonymousreply 75December 12, 2019 2:19 PM

There is no gray for millenials. Everything is black or white. Someone says one thing and they are cancelled or racist or homophobic, even if the offending thing happened 20 years ago and that is not who the person is now. You are not allowed to evolve as a person. They don't take things into context.

by Anonymousreply 76December 12, 2019 2:31 PM

For example, R76? You mean like an adult doing blackface years ago, or using the N word? Or, slapping a womans ass?

by Anonymousreply 77December 12, 2019 2:50 PM

The lack of social skills leading to lack of friends. They are incapable of getting along with anyone because they’re always right about everything. The self-absorption is staggering.

by Anonymousreply 78December 12, 2019 3:26 PM

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2019 3:29 PM

A useless Millenial co-worker asked me once if I had ever heard of a show called, Seinfeld. She was trying to educate me on some point about pop culture. Two days later she told me I might like a show called Friends. When she brought up X-files I had had enough and acquainted her with the phrase, "don't try to teach your grandmother how to suck eggs."

by Anonymousreply 80December 12, 2019 3:39 PM

R80: The second show should have been when to draw the line.

by Anonymousreply 81December 12, 2019 3:46 PM

That never happened, R80.

by Anonymousreply 82December 12, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote]The lack of social skills leading to lack of friends. They are incapable of getting along with anyone because they’re always right about everything. The self-absorption is staggering.

This is the height of irony.

by Anonymousreply 83December 12, 2019 3:58 PM

R83------YES!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 84December 12, 2019 4:08 PM

R82 It most certainly did happen. This girl was the worst extreme example of unearned entitlement. She would often demand to know what time it was despite the fact that there was a clock on the wall, a computer terminal 2 feet away from her and a phone in her pocket. At the Secret Santa swap she received a watch and didn't get the joke.

by Anonymousreply 85December 12, 2019 4:14 PM

Oh, and she referred to her mother as "my Mommy".

by Anonymousreply 86December 12, 2019 4:16 PM

Stuff their faces with high-fructose corn syrup-soaked, soy lecithin-laden manufactured crap.

by Anonymousreply 87December 12, 2019 4:31 PM

grow enormous lumberjack beards and sport a man bun.

by Anonymousreply 88December 12, 2019 4:49 PM

The Millies' disregard for proper spelling and grammar.

Their lack of critical thinking skills and, because of that, the knee-jerk reactions to the slightest offense.

Their lack of respect for anything that happened or was created before they were born.

Their love for all things twee and juvenile.

The fundamentalist mindset of comic book fanboys.

by Anonymousreply 89December 12, 2019 4:54 PM

[quote]r70 They sass & diss their elders to no end!

And everything they say is pure [italic]poppycock!

by Anonymousreply 90December 13, 2019 10:25 PM

Butts smell.

by Anonymousreply 91December 13, 2019 11:28 PM

Nothing really. In general, I just loathe idiots and that isn't age-related.

by Anonymousreply 92December 13, 2019 11:32 PM

I love Carol Burnett but i'm not a Millennial

by Anonymousreply 93December 13, 2019 11:37 PM

I hate Carol Burnett and I'm a boomer.

by Anonymousreply 94December 14, 2019 12:06 AM

Today I talked to a young customer service agent on the telephone. When she asked me my first name, I answered "William". "I have you as Bill." she replies. I say, "It's the same." She says, "No it's not. You say William and I am seeing Bill." "Bill is a nickname for William." I tell her. "Why? It's confusing. It doesn't make any sense." she replies.

I was momentarily speechless. I have never in my life met someone who didn't know "Bill" is a short form of "William". She grumbled through the rest of the call. She gave me the impression she thought I was crazy.

You can't smack that much stupid off of someone's face.

by Anonymousreply 95December 14, 2019 1:06 AM

Live at home with no ambition to move out.

I went to Disneyland with a friend in her 60's and her daughter in her early 30's. Throughout the day, the daughter was begging her mother to buy her things like a child. She actually had a tantrum when the mother said no to an expensive hat and then the girl bought it anyway herself. The mother then began arguing with her about how she had paid for her meals and drinks all day so why was she buying a hat?? I was so embarrassed for both of them. But when your kid never leaves home, they never grow up. They are forever infantalized. The daughter works at Trader Joes and says "college isn't for her." She lives rent free with her mommy, why should she aspire to anything else?

by Anonymousreply 96December 14, 2019 1:25 AM

[quote]r95 "Bill is a nickname for William." I tell her. "Why? It's confusing. It doesn't make any sense," she replies.

To her credit, it is a stupid variation. Just like Jack was a supposed diminutive of John - - even though it has the same number of letters.

If people wanted to initially shorten William, it should have been Will. ROLL BACK THE CLOCK!

by Anonymousreply 97December 14, 2019 4:02 PM

[quote]r96 She actually had a tantrum when the mother said no to an expensive hat, and then the girl bought it anyway herself.

Elaine "Stritchy" Stritch officially approves this post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 14, 2019 4:14 PM

To be fair, all generations are guilty of doing things that are quite annoying ( Gen X, Baby Boomers). That being said, If I hear ONE MORE MILLENIAL USE THE WORD " YUMMY" in a way that does not pertain to Food- e.g. Yoga, Soft Fabrics, Chill Music, Patchouli, etc I am going to stab my eyes out with Hot Pokers!

by Anonymousreply 99December 14, 2019 4:38 PM

Very interesting. So are ALL millenials like this? And if they aren't, why are some not like this? I'm asking this because I know a particular millennial who is not like this in any way, in fact he is diametrically opposite. Was it his upbringing?

by Anonymousreply 100December 14, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote] If I hear ONE MORE MILLENIAL USE THE WORD " YUMMY" in a way that does not pertain to Food- e.g. Yoga, Soft Fabrics, Chill Music, Patchouli, etc I am going to stab my eyes out with Hot Pokers!

Do you object to the use of "sexy" in the same way, which has been around for decades? ("That's a sexy address...")

by Anonymousreply 101December 14, 2019 5:00 PM

queer, spectrum, non-binary, they, et.al.

by Anonymousreply 102December 14, 2019 5:26 PM

Let's get real. In most cases, it's because one is not interested in coming home with me and fucking me in the ass, even if he's someone I could easily have had when I was his age—[italic]especially[/italic] if it's someone I could have had when I was his age. Otherwise, I have no feelings of intergenerational resentment.

by Anonymousreply 103December 14, 2019 5:35 PM

[/italic]end italics

by Anonymousreply 104December 14, 2019 5:36 PM

R95 It's not the ignorance that bothers me, but the refusal to accept something outside of her limited personal experience. She had a chance to learn something new but utterly balked at letting in a new concept.

by Anonymousreply 105December 14, 2019 5:44 PM

I'm a classical musician and have also taught woodwinds for 30+ years. I can attest that the youths I teach now are especially lazy, distracted, and expect overnight fame for nothing. I hate this fame-obsessed mentality that YouTube gave them with stupid idea that anyone can be a huge success if they are always uploading self-made videos onto the Internet. Their practice habits are sporadic and misguided.

So, I've had to smack them hard with the reality of what formal auditions entail in the real world if they are hoping to ever make a living in this field. If they can't win auditions and competitions which always require hard, constant, organized practice, they're fucked and might as well get jobs waiting tables or making macchiatos. They don't get it...

by Anonymousreply 106December 14, 2019 5:55 PM

[quote]r106 If they can't win auditions and competitions which always require hard, constant, organized practice, they're fucked and might as well get jobs waiting tables or making macchiatos.

Classical musicians are usually auditioned behind a screen, as well, so personality and appearance will have nothing to do with it.

It's the opposite of coasting by on charisma.

by Anonymousreply 107December 15, 2019 2:54 AM

I’m a 56 year old gay man and I’m very impressed with the Millennial generation. They are very accepting of the LGBT community and believe in equal rights. They care for the environment and for social causes. They believe the government should benefit the common good.

I’m an elder gay, as they say. The 1980s were horrific and oppressive for gay men; especially so with the AIDS holocaust. The Baby Boomers elected Ronald Reagan, the “Religious Right” added more hateful rhetoric and the Baby Boomers (the straight ones) reverted to type. They were selfish, hateful, greedy and they didn’t give a damn about anyone who wasn’t white and straight, and upwardly mobile. They haven’t changed, in fact they’re worse. They voted for Donald Trump and the results are a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 108December 26, 2019 1:21 PM

Carol Burnett?! Stop living in the (remote) past. Stop creating ridiculous litmus tests. And stop waiting for younger generations to revere your contributions to the world.

To be ignorant of history is one thing, to be ignorant of OP's personal history is no small blessing.

by Anonymousreply 109December 26, 2019 1:38 PM

The continual stream of cranky threads about "millenials" has made me hate the old people who spew forth this crap. It's like

by Anonymousreply 110December 26, 2019 1:40 PM

R108, we have Donald Trump primarily because of Millennial Bernie supporters who refused to support Hillary and stayed home or voted Jill Stein.

by Anonymousreply 111December 26, 2019 1:42 PM

We can complain about each generation, but nobody is going to change irregardless of threats or attempted manipulations. I'm a late boomer, and I've met a few rare millenials who are great people who don't follow "trends" and are by all means, their own person. I can alter my social and political and moral beliefs based upon experience, but I'm not going to jump on the SJW bandwagon for causes that don't involve me out of some attempted guilt trip. Live your own life, enjoy your own hobbies, and don't invite the people you can't stand being around out to lunch or to happy hour or to dinner. Nobody is going to stand in my way for me to continue doing what I have liked to do for decades, just as I won't stop someone from making complete asses out of themselves because they are narcissist losers. I don't live with em', and they'll move in with me by stepping over my dead corpse.

by Anonymousreply 112December 26, 2019 1:44 PM

"Sorry. I am a college student, and there are a couple of boomers in class that have to sit as close as they can bc they cannot hear. Then, they constantly interrupt the prof to ask "questions" which are really veiled know it all crap crafted to prove to the younger prof that they know it all. Eye rolling shit, really. They constantly bring up how it was in the 80s without tech, and how they managed. VERY annoying ppl, boomers. Slowing class down, stroking their own egos....so ya. I wanna smack the stupid off of their faces"

I know this is going to blow your mind, but your first two complaints are things I did in my college days. Granted, this was not the norm, but why would I pay to be somewhere and not engage in the process? Why would you be paying the ridiculous prices you are paying for school and NOT be in the front row. Is it just not cool?

I am sure you are actually on target with some of your criticism. I rolled my eyes plenty at other students who engaged the prof with stupid observations posed as questions. But it is his/her responsibility to manage the flow of information and discourse in their lecture. And I had plenty of former professors tell me that they appreciated the back and forth because it made the class more interesting. Of course, I had other lecturers that preferred to have the class one sided.

by Anonymousreply 113December 26, 2019 2:08 PM

OP, I was once with you on this one, but I've come to realize that there are bigger fish to fry than acknowledge from younger people of popular cultural icons from my childhood. Yes, when I was younger (I'm 56), I knew popular cultural figures from my parents' and grandparents' generation. Radio and especially television ensured those figures from the past had continued relevance to future generations. A smaller media pool meant a more common popular culture. Cable television, streaming movies and shows, and most significantly the Internet has forever changed that. Yes, those past figures live on, but they must compete with countless other figures.

I do not know the names of rappers and others whom millennials listen to. For Pete's sake, ten years ago I had no idea who Wanda Sykes was. Why should I expect a millennial or someone younger know who Carol Burnett is?

by Anonymousreply 114December 26, 2019 2:21 PM

There will come a generation probably during the late lives of the Baby Boomers who will spend time bashing the trends that the millenials started. This is a recurring part of history. But culture hasn't died, and many things which were popular 40 or 50 years ago often make some sort of comeback. I don't expect people being born now start learning how to churn butter, but there will be young fans of vintage music and classic TV and film coming and going. I look forward at some point to meeting someone a good 30-40 years younger than me who appreciates and loves old film and TV, then surprise them out of the blue with handing over my DVD collection of all these things, and watch with great pleasure their eyes grow bigger as they realize what they have just been handed over. No strings attached, just a mutual love of things that were very popular long even before I was born.

by Anonymousreply 115December 26, 2019 2:26 PM

Not all millennials are that stupid. I once worked with a guy - he was 25 as opposed to my 50. But he understood my experience and was curious about the world. And even at my advanced age of 55 now I still get hit on by twinks. Daddy fantasies I guess.

by Anonymousreply 116December 26, 2019 2:30 PM

Thank you BPC. You make a very good point about how our generations had fewer icons to carry into our culture and why that contributed to their staying power.

I will go with this wisdom next time I hear "well I don't know that because I am young"

by Anonymousreply 117December 26, 2019 2:53 PM

R116 R117

by Anonymousreply 118December 26, 2019 2:58 PM

Oh you can accept that they don't know Carol Burnett but how would like it if it was Liza, or Lucy or *gasp* JUDY!

by Anonymousreply 119December 26, 2019 4:57 PM

R119 I don't give a shit about any of them, of that era or before or after.

by Anonymousreply 120December 26, 2019 5:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!