Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Avatar 2” is filming Quietly & will be a new visual revelation, AGAIN.

With principal photography for 2019 on James Cameron’s Avatar 2 having wrapped last week, one of the hardest-working members of its crew says the film will be “the most significant diving movie ever made.”

Avatar 2 will feature many of the actors doing a lot of underwater work, according to the film’s director.

A good chunk of that underwater work involves freediving, which Cameron told Vanity Fair in November 2017 that many of the crew — including star Kate Winslet — had been trained in:

“She [Winslet] blazed through for a couple of days of rehearsals and saw the world that we had created, and how we do the work, and she’s very excited. She plays a character who’s part of the Sea People, the reef people. The one thing she did do is demand that she does all her own water work. I said, ‘All right, that’s fine, we’ll have to teach you how to freedive.’ The other actors are up to three- and four-minute breath holds. We’ve already been doing underwater capture. We did a scene last week with six teenagers, well, actually five teenagers and one seven-year-old underwater holding their breath for a couple minutes and acting, actually doing a dialogue scene under water because they speak kind of a sign language.”

As Cameron has previously mentioned in interviews, Avatar 2 will explore the ocean realm of Pandora and moviegoers will be introduced to the ocean-based “Metkayina.”

According to Cinemablend, Bailey Bass plays Tsireya, a “graceful and strong freediver.”

Among the crew is Performance Freediving International Founder Kirk Krack, who’s spent the last two years working on the film, and just recently returned home after stints on sets in Los Angeles and New Zealand.

While he didn’t give away any plot spoilers during a Facebook Messenger chat with DeeperBlue.com, he was able to talk about the rigors of filming a movie largely set underwater:

“I think when you consider that these sequels will be three hours in duration and #2 is described as focusing primarily on the ocean side of Pandora and Jim is at heart a freediver/scuba diving explorer and someone who wants to share an inspiring vision of the underwater world, I think it’s safe to say that even though it takes place in the future, on another planet with the Na’vi and Metkayina as the focus that Avatar 2 will be the most significant diving film ever made.”

Krack emphasized that “this isn’t Aquaman.”

“No one was hanging on wires with a fan in the hair and water spritzers to give a ‘wet look.’ This was shot with performance capture underwater in what is called wet-for-wet, not dry-for-wet. So when you see Kate Winslet, Sigorney Weaver and the kids freediving underwater they actually did that for minutes (2.5+min) at a time.”

At the set in Los Angeles, Krack said the crew logged over 200,000-plus freedives between the cast, safety, camera people, grips, special effects technicians “and without any hypoxia incidents since I got there.”

An average day on set for Krack consisted of getting to the set by 7:30 a.m. and in the water tank by 8:30 a.m., with him being in the water tank about 12 hours, and even longer on principal cast days.

“So a conservative estimate is that I was in the water 5,000-plus hours. In fact my busiest 12-hour in-water day had myself and stunt buddy Chris Denison log just shy of 3.5 hours of breath-holding.”

Avatar 2 is scheduled to premiere in December 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2020 12:33 PM

Does that Worthington dude present hole?

NBNC - No Butthole No Care

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 6:43 PM

Four shots unveiled today at CES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 7, 2020 9:57 PM

Does anyone care?

by Anonymousreply 3January 7, 2020 9:58 PM

nope but lets goose the hype machine

by Anonymousreply 4January 7, 2020 9:59 PM

It almost seems unbelievable how big of a phenomenon that movie was. It was such a flash in the pan, no lasting cultural significance. Yet it was the biggest movie ever at the time.

by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2020 10:00 PM

This will make 1 billion in china alone.

by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2020 10:05 PM

Science fiction/fantasy stuff does not appeal in the least to me, usually. Glad they're making this for those who care, but can we do other shit besides big comic book action flicks and stuff like this? I have a ton of books I'd like to see optioned that are worthy of being filmed.

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2020 10:18 PM

[quote] but can we do other shit besides big comic book action flicks and stuff like this?

There have been a lot of great movies that came out this year (well last year) that had nothing to do with comic books.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2020 10:22 PM

It's where the bulk of the moviemaking budget is going though, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9January 7, 2020 10:25 PM

What a terrible movie the first go around. I couldn't care less. I guess that's a bit harsh. I just don't get Cameron or why he seems to hit the zeitgeist every time. It's weird.

by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2020 10:28 PM

Yes, I care, and I can’t wait for part 2. The visuals were stunning in the first movie and I’m looking forward to the underwater world that they created.

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2020 10:32 PM

Oh what the hell, I'll pay for a 3D ticket.

I fully expect to be entertained for 2 hours and to forget all about it the next day, that's worth $15.

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2020 11:29 PM

I'd rather watch an Alita sequel instead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2020 7:11 AM

It doesn’t look bad, yet is very reminiscent of Deviant Art fan pictures.

And hefty Kate Winslet doing her own stunts?

Oy.

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2020 7:20 AM

James Cameron is still around???

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2020 7:24 AM

Winslet hasn't been chunky for a long time. In fact, she'd probably look better if she gained a few pounds.

She's probably underweight, but as she has a short neck, square jaw, broad shoulders, and wide hips, she'll never look willowy no matter how much weight she loses.

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2020 7:40 AM

I'm way more interested in having James Cameron getting True Lies and The Abyss onto Blu Ray that this Avatar crap.

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2020 7:47 AM

Little did James Cameron know that by Avatar 2 everyone had forgotten who Sam Worthington even is.

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2020 7:56 AM

[quote] she has a short neck, square jaw, broad shoulders, and wide hips,

That’s right - hefty.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2020 8:24 AM

You mean, they got wet underwater and held their breath and acted as well. For around 2 minutes ?! Is there no end to what actors can do ? No wonder they get paid so much.

And the inventiveness ! ImaginIng a world in which non white people with braided hair lived in greater harmony with nature as hunter gatherers both on land and in the sea and...oh...

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2020 9:09 AM

R5 You are so right. Avatar made no cultural impact. It just goes to show that just because a movie makes a ton of money, doesn't mean people love it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2020 12:15 PM

R3 and r4, early posters like you do care. Get over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2020 12:20 PM

I hated Avatar. I had huge trouble connecting with the blue creatures because in my eyes they were firmly in the uncanny vally category. The story itself is embarrassingly childish and idiotic. I tried watching the blu-ray like 3 or 4 times before I finally managed to finish. I fell asleep during the first tries.

However since Cameron is an fx guy there was apparently a lot of techincal innovating going on behind the scenes. That is the only reason I'm even slightly positive about the sequels. After all this is the guy who brought us The Abyss and T2, two of my Top 15 films.

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2020 12:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!