Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nice collection of pics of foggy olde London Town of the 1950s

I know a lot of Americans think London still looks like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2019 9:14 PM

Thanks, this one is my favourite. Adore shots of fog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 3:42 PM

Yes, love that, R1.

It was still misty in the '60s.

I don't know what happened. Climate change, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 3:47 PM

These hazes were not natural formations of the atmosphere: water vapour would stick to particulates released by coal-burning factories, producing dark and heavy clouds that impaired visibility. This variety of fog later came to be known as smog (a merging of the words smoke and fog), a term invented by a Londoner in the early 20th century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote]I don't know what happened. Climate change, I guess.

Most of that fog in London in the old times was due to coal, no? At least that's what Jared Harris said on Mad Men when he was explaining the meaning behind the "London Fog" brand name.

I'm lucky as I get to see fog every day this time of year where I live, though it has nothing to do with pollution. Such a romantic and magical thing.

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 3:54 PM

Ah, I see r3 got there first.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 3:54 PM

[quote]Most of that fog in London in the old times was due to coal, no? At least that's what Jared Harris said on Mad Men when he was explaining the meaning behind the "London Fog" brand name.

Point I was making is that it was still misty in the mornings in the '60s (&'70s) long after the clean air act...as in the pic I posted.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 3:59 PM

Oh, I thought you meant it got hotter because of the climate change and hence no fog.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 4:01 PM

The coal fog got so thick and dangerous, it would sometimes kill people. That’s what the article at R3 is about.

The Great Smog of 1952 was a pea-souper of unprecedented severity, induced by both weather and pollution. On the whole, during the 20th century, the fogs of London had become more infrequent, as factories began to migrate outside the city. However, on December 5, an anticyclone settled over London, a high-pressure weather system that caused an inversion whereby cold air was trapped below warm air higher up. Consequently, the emissions of factories and domestic fires could not be released into the atmosphere and remained trapped near ground level. The result was the worst pollution-based fog in the city’s history.

Visibility was so impaired in some parts of London that pedestrians were unable to see their own feet. Aside from the Underground, transportation was severely restricted. Ambulance services suffered, leaving people to find their own way to hospitals in the smog. Many people simply abandoned their cars on the road. Indoor plays and concerts were cancelled as audiences were unable to see the stage, and crime on the streets increased. There was a spike in deaths and hospitalizations relating to pneumonia and bronchitis, and herds of cattle in Smithfield reportedly choked to death. Though the fog lasted five days, finally lifting on December 9, its severity was not fully appreciated until the registrar general published the number of fatalities a few weeks later, which amounted to about 4,000. The effects of the smog were long-lasting, however, and present-day estimates rank the number of deaths to have been about 12,000.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 4:37 PM

One benefit of outsourcing all factories to China. The pollution is farther away.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 4:54 PM

China’s smog is basically ye olde London fog.

Picturesque, especially if you’re hoping everyone in China dies. Or starts glowing in the dark. Or mutating into real life X-Men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 5:33 PM

Well at least the real estate was cheaper and middle class people could actually afford to live there then.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 6:13 PM

This guy posts amazing restoration pictures of historical London. It’s amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 7:06 PM

R1 love the photos. Very evocative. What would Greta say about all that fog!? 😊

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 7:47 PM

Why are so many of the men wearing top hats, in the 1950s? They don't seem to be in formal dress, the man in the first picture is wearing a businessman's day tie, not black or white tie.

I thought that by the 1920s, top hats had been relegated to formal wear only.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2019 8:43 PM

from r12's FAB link.

Born in the 1760s >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2019 8:59 PM

London 1875

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2019 9:01 PM

It looks filthy.

But really shows the haves walking past the have-nots.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 9:20 PM

Looks like a painting 😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2019 12:00 AM

Foggy Bottoms

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2019 12:04 AM

Americans are taking the time to think of London?

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2019 12:47 AM

That's a beauty, R18

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2019 1:04 AM

Camden Town

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2019 1:06 AM

^^ sorry that was 1919

Don't know the year for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2019 1:08 AM

I want to live in that time and place.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2019 1:21 AM

R24, you probably don't. Unless you want to die from smallpox or cholera

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2019 1:23 AM

Wonderful photos,OP! Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2019 1:28 AM

Looks like Jack the Ripper could be lurking among them.

by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2019 1:35 AM

Probably not by 1919, he wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2019 2:09 AM

Interesting that London seems to have gentrified even more than NYC. So much of the old pics seem like everyday life with everyday people. I can never figure out what was the original “nice” area of London - other than Kensington/Mayfair - that would be like Fifth Ave or Park Ave in NY.

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2019 4:41 AM

Belgravia, R29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2019 9:54 AM

1915 -

why on earth did they have open top buses in London, of all places?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2019 10:02 AM

Thanks R30. I kind of group Belgravia with Kensington/Mayfair. Seems like such a small area of single family homes for the wealthy - compared to the dense concentration of apartments in NYC over a similar sized area in NYC. Even though there was always lots of wealthy in London, curious why the wealthy areas were so small.

So much of wealthy London now seems like it was middle to lower income housing less than 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2019 2:41 PM

[quote]Thanks [R30]. I kind of group Belgravia with Kensington/Mayfair. Seems like such a small area of single family homes for the wealthy

It's not small at all.

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2019 9:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!