Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ruth Coker Burks

I know this link is from a frau website and is a bit "Upworthy"-esque, but if anyone deserves attention and kudos, it's this woman.

I wish someone would make a movie about her. People should know her work. She did it on her own dime, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2020 7:06 PM

Recognized in the UK a few months ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 12:25 AM

I wonder if it's thousands, though.....though I suppose in those days of the epidemic it was easy to lose count

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 4:49 PM

I agree but people would bitch because she's white and the drag queens would have to be trans women of color.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 4:53 PM

If anyone deserves some credit, it's this woman. Her story can't be told too often. Let the TWCs complain: she was doing this - for free - in freakin' Arkansas in the 1980's.

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 5:22 PM

Wow, wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2019 4:48 AM

"I would bury them in cookie jars."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2019 6:07 AM

What an amazing women. Those of us that lived through it remember how it was. Food trays pushed into a hospital room with a broom. Families that absolutely disowned their own children. We helped our friends and lovers, she helped total strangers. Thank God she was there to make that difference in their lives.

Thank you for sharing this with us OP, I had never heard of her before. I'm glad she is getting the recognition she deserves.

Of course we also had the lesbians as our own task force. Let me give thanks to them too while I'm at it.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2019 7:27 AM

This woman also deserves respect and praise - Lori Cannon, who fed thousands of dying and sick in Chicago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 23, 2019 6:21 PM

Thank you for sharing this. I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2019 7:30 PM

Jennifer Lawrence for the movie. Ron Howard as director. A big Netflix hit.

by Anonymousreply 10December 23, 2019 7:38 PM

Quite an inspiring and bittersweet thread. It's heart warming to read of such lives that affirm the goodness of humanity. I think we need more of these around the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 11December 23, 2019 7:56 PM

Wasted effort.

by Anonymousreply 12December 23, 2019 8:28 PM

I wish I could find the original story I read years ago. I wept the whole time . It brought back so many terrible memories of the fear,and the pain and the heartache. This woman is truly a saint and what a REAL christian is supposed to be. The young gays have NO IDEA of what we went through.

by Anonymousreply 13December 23, 2019 8:43 PM

Some stories about her say hundreds, others thousands.

No matter. She did it and never had, you know, a fucking GoFundMe for glory. For that alone we are all grateful.

R13 I came out in the 90s but I remember enough. I helped get a deposit together for a friend kicked out of his apartment. Stayed at the apartment we got him until he was too weak to walk up the stairs. He died a few months later.

by Anonymousreply 14December 23, 2019 8:50 PM

Guess what OP? They are making a movie about her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2020 8:18 PM

CBS This Morning just ran a piece about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2020 7:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!