Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jersey City Shootout

Six reportedly dead, including a police officer. Neighborhood and schools in the area of MLK Boulevard on lockdown. Very little information being released.

Any members of the #DataLoungeNewsInsiders have the scoop?

by Anonymousreply 96December 13, 2019 10:08 PM

The third suspect, described as a 6-foot-tall black male wearing all black clothing, was in police custody.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2019 8:46 PM

Shootout in a kosher bodega!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2019 8:49 PM

Just googled. NJ.com says it was a kosher supermarket.

Because you know, there are good people on both sides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2019 8:49 PM

R3, one suspect is black

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2019 8:51 PM

[quote] After noon, the two shooters arrived in a U-Haul van, got out with long guns and entered the store. From there, they fired at police officers and anyone who came into their line of vision.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2019 8:51 PM

wth?

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2019 8:53 PM

I think I know the area. It’s either drug or gang related. Unlikely terrorism.

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2019 8:56 PM

No, no mention of "gang activity"?

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2019 8:56 PM

Channel 2 has been been covering this for three hours. We could learn about it at 5 o'clock.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2019 9:00 PM

One report says Drug Deal Gone Bad,

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2019 9:01 PM

So a little more Googling-- there are two conflicting story lines.

1. The police stopped the suspects near a cemetrary in regard to a homicide investigation earlier in the day. Suspects started shooting and killed a police officer and then fled to the kosher supermarket, which may or may not have been a random choice/the nearest store they found.

2. Suspects entered the kosher supermarket armed to the teeth and started shooting everyone and anyone, including a police officer.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2019 9:01 PM

Hasidic Jews priced out of Brooklyn moved to Jersey City's Greenville, a black and Hispanic neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2019 9:04 PM

JC’s Mayor was tweeting yesterday about cutting violent crime. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2019 9:04 PM

Abcis reporting it started in a cemetery. The suspects fled and barricaded themselves in the kosher supermarket. 40 plus schools were on lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2019 9:05 PM

It's probably those damn Jersey Shore kids.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2019 9:14 PM

Was it a supermarket or a deli?

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2019 9:18 PM

Now saying it was three locations and lasted for hours.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2019 9:22 PM

R16 JC Kosher Supermarket, 233 Martin Luther King Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2019 9:25 PM

Which, despite the name, appears to be the size of small grocery store, hence the confusion R16 and R18

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2019 9:32 PM

Stay away from every Martin Luther King Blvd in the US

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2019 9:33 PM

JC Kosher Supermarket & Deli, with THREE inconvenient locations in beautiful Jersey City !

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2019 9:34 PM

Everything you want to know

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2019 9:37 PM

I'm guessing that they're not available for take out this evening.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2019 9:40 PM

Halal is also Muslim. Often misunderstood as Jewish Kosher.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2019 9:41 PM

Why would a Jewish business used the initials of Jesus Christ?

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2019 9:42 PM

Interesting backstory: Orthodox Jews priced out of Brooklyn began moving to this black section of Jersey City a few years ago, aggressively offering to buy houses that were not for sale. That’s why there’s a kosher supermarket in the hood.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2019 9:44 PM

When those Yids go gangstah, they are hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2019 9:44 PM

Two shooters dead inside JC's.

Better order a 🍕 pizza.

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2019 9:44 PM

The Prophet Mohammed stole his ideas from the Jews. Circumcision, burying the next day and eating food based on how the animal is slaughtered,

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2019 9:45 PM

When those Fags go gangstah, they are hardcore.

How's that sound R27?

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2019 9:48 PM

Oh please honey, all we insist on is proper straining of pasta water.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2019 9:49 PM

They should play the video the police captain from Houston on permanent loop.

He’s absolutely correct.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2019 9:52 PM

Looks like Cory Booker will be at a press conference with NJ governor Phil Murphy soon.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2019 9:59 PM

You do realize that your beloved Nazis persecuted gays and made them wear a pink triangle in the concentration camps. So no matter how much you hated Jews R31 they'd still kill you.

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2019 10:00 PM

Donald Trump has officially declared this outrage as "A senseless terrorist attack on all Pastrami & Corned Beef in America."

"I love the Jews. They make the best Reuben Sandwiches in this great nation of ours. They make the best deli sandwiches in the world. And I love mine with those big pickles and lots of fries."

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2019 10:03 PM

Cam down R34,No need to clutch your pearls

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2019 10:09 PM

JFC this is supposed to be a civilized, first world country. This is something you see in the Middle East or Latin America. This country is turning into a violent shithole.

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2019 10:36 PM

Donald Trump ....

Making America Great Again

by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2019 10:56 PM

This took place in Jersey City Heights, which is a real dump

by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2019 11:00 PM

[R39], it did not take place anywhere near Jersey City Heights ... which is certainly not a dump in any case.

by Anonymousreply 40December 10, 2019 11:09 PM

r38 this shit started long before Trump.

by Anonymousreply 41December 10, 2019 11:09 PM

Is this situation considered "over" , or are they still looking for people?

by Anonymousreply 42December 11, 2019 12:25 AM

R42, the two suspects, who were wanted in connection with an unrelated murder, are dead; I think it’s over. But the gun battle went on for hours. How did they have that kind of firepower?

by Anonymousreply 43December 11, 2019 12:59 AM

I suspect many more details will come out over the next 24 hours R43, as you pose a very valid question.

Seems there was way more going on here than we know right now.

Otherwise the police would not have had to use an armored vehicle to crash through the window of the store to stop the suspects and, as the New York Times casually slipped into their (linked) report why "the rented truck — which [the police] said might have been carrying an incendiary device" was involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 11, 2019 1:21 AM

Jersey City Mayor:

“Based on our initial investigation (which is ongoing) we now believe the active shooters targeted the location they attacked. Due to an excess of caution the community may see additional police resources in the days/weeks ahead. We have no indication there are any further threats’

by Anonymousreply 45December 11, 2019 5:39 AM

New York Times now reporting that the suspect had indeed targeted the kosher supermarket and had published "anti-police and anti-Semitic posts online"

There was too much ammunition for this to have just been a criminal on the lam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 11, 2019 1:55 PM

It sounds like something out of Grand Theft Auto Roleplay. Was there a Chinese man involved who talked like Bugs Bunny?

by Anonymousreply 47December 11, 2019 1:59 PM

The guy at the counter refused to say Merry Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2019 2:02 PM

Unfortunately white supremacists aren't the only threat. I see a fair amount of anti-Semitism from the black people who get into basically the same conspiracy theories.

by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2019 2:14 PM

NBC has just name the two suspects. It looks like they were members of the Black Hebrew Israelites

by Anonymousreply 50December 11, 2019 2:16 PM

You mean those crazy people who stand near the library on 42nd Street and harass other black people, R50?

by Anonymousreply 51December 11, 2019 2:19 PM

R51 yes

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2019 2:20 PM

Gunmen who stormed kosher store in Jersey City identified as David Anderson and Francine Graham. Anderson was a follower of the Black Hebrew Israelite movement. There were postings connected to Anderson's social page with anti-police and anti-Jewish writings - WNBC

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2019 3:27 PM

Ouch . R3 bubble is burst

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2019 3:28 PM

I'm curious how that initial murder ties in. I read that guy was a livery cab driver, was it a robbery or did they target him specifically?

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2019 3:33 PM

[quote]I see a fair amount of anti-Semitism from the black people

Who continue to be excused and rewarded for their Jew hatred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2019 3:38 PM

A blackie did it

by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2019 3:56 PM

Hot police officer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 11, 2019 4:00 PM

In Chicago last Saturday we had one dead and 14 wounded by guns.

Is this worse or better?

by Anonymousreply 59December 11, 2019 4:03 PM

r57

Liar

by Anonymousreply 60December 11, 2019 4:04 PM

[quote]Very little information being released.

Because it doesn't fit the agenda of people who would sooner obsess over an individual stabbing someone thousands of miles away and ignore the stabbings and shootings and rapes that go on every day right at home. The media magnifies crimes not by the heinousness of the act or the number of victims, but by the "who" so that they can give people the impression that it's constantly going on when it really isn't. Someone gets stabbed in London and morons think it's like a dinnerbell to go off about millions and millions of people living all over the world who nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 61December 11, 2019 4:13 PM

who HAD*

by Anonymousreply 62December 11, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote]Someone gets stabbed in London and morons think it's like a dinnerbell to go off about millions and millions of people living all over the world who nothing to do with it.

R61 Hate crimes in the UK (Europe) go largely unreported or are played down/deflected due to political considerations. In the US, this disinformation campaign hasn't caught on to the same extent.

by Anonymousreply 63December 11, 2019 4:19 PM

Europe doesn't have free speech like the USA. Media gets gagged a lot

by Anonymousreply 64December 11, 2019 4:37 PM

You may remember the Black Hebrew Israelites from the Covington Kids MAGA story earlier this year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 11, 2019 4:51 PM

R49 Actually, the black anti Semites, tend to take the conspiracies and turn it up to ten. I once lived nextdoor to a black guy, who seemed like a great guy. He was friendly, we smoked pot together, he seemed like a great guy. Then one night, while hanging at his house, we started drinking some moonshine and he started expounding on his antisemitism, and about how Jews aren't even humans, but actually demons Satan has allowed to take human form, etc... He pulled out his personal copy of Mein Kamph, and went on to state Hitler was too soft on the Jews. I wanted nothing to do with him after that, and shortly moved.

by Anonymousreply 66December 11, 2019 4:55 PM

From the mayor:

I’m sure the info on the actors and victims will be provided later today by the AG’s office and I’m going to respect that process but I do have a responsibility to the residents of JC so I will share what i can and respect a reasonable balance to protect the jc community Some ppl have speculated that the actors were of the Muslim faith but at this point there is zero indication to that being accurate. I can speak to the large Muslim community in JC that is warm/inviting to everyone. We are lucky to have that community in Jc and I don’t want anyone jumping to conclusions that aren’t accurate. I want to be sure the Muslim community knows we are thankful they are here in JC.

by Anonymousreply 67December 11, 2019 4:56 PM

Yeah let’s take an attack on Jews and turn it into a Leo Muslim rally. Wtf??

by Anonymousreply 68December 11, 2019 4:57 PM

Oh dear God - the Black Hebrews. Who could have ever suspected them of racism? Just because they have been standing in the middle of Times Square for decades spewing homophobic and racist rants.

by Anonymousreply 69December 11, 2019 4:57 PM

Good question R69

[quote] A 1999 FBI terrorism risk assessment report stated that "violent radical fringe members" of the Black Hebrew Israelite movement hold "beliefs [that] bear a striking resemblance to the Christian Identity theology practiced by many white supremacists."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 11, 2019 5:02 PM

All the mayor was doing, R68, was suggesting that this was not the time to attack Muslims, since they had nothing to do with this.

by Anonymousreply 71December 11, 2019 11:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 12, 2019 12:35 AM

R26, Orthodox Jews in Lakewood have visited homes in nearby Toms River asking to buy, It got so bad people were posting "This House Is Not For Sale " signs. Of course, the Lakewood brigade screamed "Anti-Semitism", but they created the problem.

by Anonymousreply 73December 12, 2019 1:01 AM

R49, Mayor Steve Fulop, his wife and child live in The Heights. Rumored to be gay, Steve didn't marry until his late 30s. Good friends with Jim McGreevey, who he has since had a falling-out with. Maybe someone here knows the details?

by Anonymousreply 74December 12, 2019 1:06 AM

[quote] Steve didn't marry until his late 30s.

Not that unusual.

What's unusual about this case is the way the details have been slipping out in dribs and drabs and the fact that if the shooters had been part of some right wing white group, this would have become a Thoughts'n'Prayers international meme.

I'm hoping it's all because police think there may be more to it than these two and are being tight with details. If you read the news stories, there was a guy beaten to death in a car they found who they think may have been killed by these two as well. He's just described as a "livery driver" so no other details

by Anonymousreply 75December 12, 2019 2:50 AM

So this just gets curiouser and curiouser

WaPo runs a piece and doesn't even mention Black Hebrew Israelite connection, though both NY Times and CNN do.

Many online pointing out that if killers were white right wingers, this would be a much bigger deal with lots of "Thoughts'n'prayers" and "We stand with Jersey City" -- others also saying that it would be a bigger deal if targets were mainstream Jews and not Hasidim.

Still no clarity on why police originally stopped the shooters, why there are reports they beat an Uber driver to death and left him in the trunk of his car, and why the official story on this kept changing throughout the day yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 76December 12, 2019 2:43 PM

r76

They have to have time to get the facts dude

by Anonymousreply 77December 12, 2019 2:43 PM

Which facts would those be R77?

They have suspects, motives--lots of antisemitic and anti-police postings online and a bunch of dead people.

Seems the news cycle moves a lot faster in other instances

by Anonymousreply 78December 12, 2019 2:47 PM

I think how quickly the details of this case have been coming out have been exemplary and far from the norm. I very much appreciate the transparency of the Jersey City Police and the city's Mayor. If you follow true crime cases this is very rare.

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2019 2:52 PM

[quote]why the official story on this kept changing throughout the day yesterday

Bad reporting. Everyone wants to be the first to report anything even semi-plausible. Fake news is a real thing on both the right and the left.

by Anonymousreply 80December 12, 2019 3:14 PM

Not so sure it's bad reporting. The police chief chided officials at today's press conference for jumping to conclusions and said that everyone should wait for the FBI, which is now the lead investigating body, to conclude it's investigation before making assumptions.

by Anonymousreply 81December 12, 2019 9:41 PM

Turning, r37? This country is a shithole and had been for ages. This is not nor has it ever been a civilized country.

by Anonymousreply 82December 12, 2019 10:18 PM

Yay ! I get to trot out my "black hebrew israelite " story again ! Picture it ,Atlanta,circa 1992 . The Fox theater was having a big to do about the movie Aladdin . A friend and I were right up the street sitting at an outdoor cafe having a lite nosh . Walking up the street from the direction of the Fox we spot 3 black guys dressed in vividly colored harem pants and turbans ,and I said to my friend "they must be with that Aladdin thing" Well,they overheard me and proceeded to scream and curse us out quite vehemently . The waiter (who was black) ushered us inside and told us who and what they were and said they are crazy and violent and dont cross one. The hypocrisy of how the media is downplaying that angle is truly astounding.

by Anonymousreply 83December 12, 2019 10:37 PM

Remember the MAGA-hat wearing teenage kids staring down the Native American guy in DC about a year ago? It started with those little shits getting harassed by black Israelites.

[quote]As the 15- and 16-year-old students began to arrive, the Hebrew Israelites began to taunt them directly,[7][12][13][7][14][15][16][17][18] and shouted racially combative insults and slurs at them.[7][14][15] As more Covington students arrived, and in response to these taunts, the students performed school spirit sports chants, including their version of a Māori haka.[12][19][Notes 2][Notes 3]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 12, 2019 11:19 PM

[quote]Oh dear God - the Black Hebrews. Who could have ever suspected them of racism? Just because they have been standing in the middle of Times Square for decades spewing homophobic and racist rants.

Don't forget anti-women. They treat their women like shit.

by Anonymousreply 85December 12, 2019 11:36 PM

R74. I live in Jersey City and have a friend who knows the mayor from before his election. Not gay.

I find him to be an overly ambitious local politician with questionable ties to the real estate development community that gets away with insane tax breaks in what is now a booming city with rapidly rising gentrification problems pricing out long term lower income residents. I’m pretty sure the only dick he’s ever sucked belong to large campaign donors from development companies.

by Anonymousreply 86December 12, 2019 11:49 PM

Oh yeah, r84, those jokers hang around the Chinatown Metro here in DC, and some white kid had the balls to take them on one afternoon.. It was entertaining. They used to be a fixture on DC public access TV, back in the day. They are truly. batshit and cornplete rageaholics.

by Anonymousreply 87December 13, 2019 1:53 AM

Jersey City wants to be Newark but can't

by Anonymousreply 88December 13, 2019 8:07 PM

Newark wishes it could be Jersey City.

by Anonymousreply 89December 13, 2019 8:15 PM

Which is more ghetto, Newark or Jersey City?

by Anonymousreply 90December 13, 2019 8:16 PM

Newark. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 91December 13, 2019 8:18 PM

Large swaths of Jersey City are very gentrified R90--luxury condos on the river, trendy restaurants, lots of 20 and 30 somethings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 13, 2019 8:21 PM

R90 Camden NJ has them ALL beat

Across the river from Philadelphia too

by Anonymousreply 93December 13, 2019 8:39 PM

I would give anything to be like Camden

by Anonymousreply 94December 13, 2019 9:19 PM

S Jersey here. I was seeing very little local news reporting on this until this morning. I’d have e thought it would be getting more attention. Anti-Semitic pamphlets left on cars received more attention

by Anonymousreply 95December 13, 2019 9:56 PM

A lot of Hasidic Jews treat others like trash. I really try to be tolerant to all groups but many Hasidic Jews see you as nothing but a slave to them.

by Anonymousreply 96December 13, 2019 10:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!