Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How did Paul McCartney end up making this horrible fucking Christmas song?

Maybe John truly was the only talent in this duo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 15, 2019 12:53 PM

If Mark David Chapman hadn't killed John Lennon, this would have. I never thought I'd say this, but here's a song that could actually be improved upon by being performed by Yoko Ono.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2019 6:36 PM

Because he totally sucked OP.

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2019 6:37 PM

I always liked that songs with my niece and nephew singing it at the top of their lungs in the backseat of my car.

Happy memories.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2019 6:50 PM

It beats the hell out of John's dull, lecturing borefest.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2019 6:52 PM

About five years ago I was driving with a friend and this song came on the radio. Not realizing this was a Paul MaCartney song she goes, "how about this one hit wonder??" It was funny. Yes this song is pretty cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2019 6:53 PM

I have a horrible feeling I'm not going to be able to get that fucking tune out of my head.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2019 6:57 PM

This might be a worse Christmas song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2019 6:57 PM

Was Paul hurting for money when he made this?

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2019 7:02 PM

Ugh, I cannot stand this shit song.

Bruce’s version of that song is cringe-inducing as well.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2019 7:02 PM

As John would say, it's one of Paul's "granny" songs.

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2019 7:08 PM

He wrote it for his kids

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2019 7:10 PM

You can see one of the original Pauls whose face and hands were ruined in a fire in that video. It’s not as cheery as it appears on the surface. Burn Victim Paul appears in the house at the piano and in the hallway and in the weird outdoor sequence at the keyboard. He’s missing teeth, too.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2019 7:13 PM

[quote] He wrote it for his kids

We'd rather have had lumps of coal in our stockings!

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2019 7:15 PM

It was very obvious that John was more talented after The Beatles broke up and they all went solo. Solo George was also more talented than Paul. Paul was good at catchy tunes and simple phrases that stuck in people's heads. John had depth and soul, George had introspection, Paul had nursery rhymes.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2019 7:16 PM

It's in Paul's Shameless Hall of Fame--with Ebony & Ivory, My Love, Mull of Kintyre, and many others. If asked, we know what his answer would be: "Oh, those are nice little songs." It's the side of Paul that makes me want to SCREAM.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2019 7:17 PM

SIMPLY HAVING A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2019 7:18 PM

My mother was a miserable, unhappy, dissatisfied person who hated Christmas because I liked it (when I was younger). Always complaining about Christmas & having to spend money & be nice to people for one day of the year.

Out shopping with her one year when this song came on the overhead store speakers. Turned around & was about to say "I hate this song" when I saw my mother smiling, nodding her head and singing along. "Ding, dong, ding dong..."

I'd never seen her so happy.

Paul mccartney gave us a Christmas miracle

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2019 7:18 PM

[quote] It was very obvious that John was more talented after The Beatles broke up and they all went solo. Solo George was also more talented than Paul. Paul was good at catchy tunes and simple phrases that stuck in people's heads. John had depth and soul, George had introspection, Paul had nursery rhymes.

And Ringo had the best connections in the animation industry. He was the first to do [italic]The Simpsons[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2019 7:19 PM

[quote] This might be a worse Christmas song.

THERE IS NO WORSE SONG THAN "WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME."

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2019 7:21 PM

I blame that cunt Linda! Her rancid influence was probably all over this shitshow!

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2019 7:21 PM

And screw you, OP! For putting this SHITTY song in my head now

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2019 7:22 PM

I never knew that R18. I remember Paul and Linda doing an episode, George, too. But not Ringo. George was a big fan of Monty Python.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2019 7:23 PM

The Ding Dong, Ding Dong part is the absolute worst.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2019 7:37 PM

You want truly horrible fucking song?

Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme sing Black Hole Sun and destroying my favorite song as a teen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2019 7:42 PM

Ringo was in the episode "Brush With Greatness" all the way back in 1991. Unlike Dustin Hoffman and Michael Jackson, they actually used his real name in the credits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2019 7:44 PM

[quote]George was a big fan of Monty Python.

Not just a fan, he put up the money for [italic]Life of Brian[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2019 7:58 PM

Christmas songs can be very lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2019 8:01 PM

[quote] Christmas songs can be very lucrative.

Sim…ply

Wri…ting

A horrible Christmas song

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2019 8:02 PM

Literally two hours ago, when this thread was posted but before I knew about it, I was microwaving my lunch and wondering why no one on DL had bitched about this song yet this year!

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2019 8:07 PM

Because we were too busy bitching about LucyMAME and [italic]Funny Lady[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2019 8:09 PM

The funny thing is, the song is annoying but very catchy and he has probably earned more money in royalties off this one shitty song that he knocked out in a day or two than you have in your entire career.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2019 8:13 PM

Repetitive. Simply repetitive. Very repetitively repetitious.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2019 8:41 PM

A friend and I were stalked throughout New York City by this song one Christmas. It was terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2019 8:51 PM

[quote] A friend and I were stalked throughout New York City by this song one Christmas. It was terrifying.

You think that's terrifying, "Strangers in the Night" stole my wallet!

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2019 8:54 PM

When asked on his deathbed what caused him to go on his murdering spree, Jeffrey Dahmer cited this song.

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2019 9:01 PM

I like it. Not enough that I bought it, but I like it. It reminds me of better times. It reminds me of my mother for some reason, even though she died a couple of years before it came out.

It's so much better than that dreadful, suicide-inducing dirge by Lennon.

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2019 9:04 PM

I've always said that the farther Paul got away from the Beatles and John's influence, the worse his music became. This Christmas song is Exhibit A. And I've often wondered if he did this just because John had a Christmas song.

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2019 9:06 PM

There are so many worse Christmas songs. "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" and "Holly, Jolly Christmas" make me want to open my veins and die quickly.

by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2019 9:18 PM

R38! NOPE! Wonderful Christmas Time is the absolute worst!

by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2019 9:24 PM

Those synthesizers sound like robot belches.

by Anonymousreply 40December 10, 2019 9:28 PM

Holy shit! I was just talking about this yesterday. How this song is so horrible and repetitive and how Paul was busting John’s balls for his “Christmas song with a message” by saying “We’re Simply...Having...A Wonderful Christmas Time” and not preaching to you.

I thought I was the only one who hated this one. Unfortunately, it gets stuck in your head...

by Anonymousreply 41December 10, 2019 9:52 PM

R25, Thanks, I remember now. Ringo answered a letter that Marge wrote to him when she was a teenager. That's back when The Simpson's was still good.

by Anonymousreply 42December 10, 2019 11:05 PM

Dear lord in heaven!

by Anonymousreply 43December 11, 2019 4:45 AM

[quote]Wonderful Christmas Time is the absolute worst!

Excuse me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 11, 2019 5:08 AM

I like this song. Sure, it's no masterpiece and as with many of his songs it's a bit silly but it's pleasant enough. I take it for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 45December 11, 2019 6:21 AM

Grotesque song!

by Anonymousreply 46December 11, 2019 10:49 AM

And so happy Christmas for black and for white for yellow and red ones let's stop all the fight!

by Anonymousreply 47December 11, 2019 11:00 AM

[quote] I've always said that the farther Paul got away from the Beatles and John's influence, the worse his music became.

I imagine you are right.

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2019 12:12 PM

This might make some of your heads explode but he's earned $15 million from this song.

by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2019 12:14 PM

[quote]This might make some of your heads explode but he's earned $15 million from this song.

Not mine. It's one of the few elements of the November-to-January songschluss that doesn't make me want to throw either myself or the radio playing it off a tall building.

by Anonymousreply 50December 11, 2019 12:18 PM

“Maybe I’m Amazed” is a good song.

“Band on the Run” is a good song.

“Live and Let Die” is a good song.

Even “Silly Love Songs” is better than this shit.

This sounds like a child banging on a synthesizer. The song struggles to build anything around its hook, and it just throws the most banal melody around equally banal and often unpleasant-sounding chord progressions like cheap tinsel around a plastic tree. The worst song on [italic]Carpenters: A Christmas Portrait[/italic] is better than this and at least is sung well.

This is more my idea of a Christmas song, and DataLounge taught it to me. Thanks, you guys!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 11, 2019 12:23 PM

The song I really hate is that Mariah atrocity that we are pummeled with every December.

You know the one...

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2019 1:14 PM

[quote] This might make some of your heads explode but he's earned $15 million from this song.

Imagine no possessions, indeed!

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2019 1:18 PM

I blame it on the outdated synthesizers, the Monkees have a much better version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2019 1:21 PM

It's brilliant.

"I've got 4 kids now. One Christmas song can keep them set for life. Let's see... Christmas is wonderful... keep it simple ...bells ringing..., choirs singing...decorating trees ......warmth.... I've got it! 'Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas.' I'll throw in some jungle bells & a little synth to make it modern, since it's almost 1980."

by Anonymousreply 55December 12, 2019 8:48 PM

R14, With the worse take of the week. Lennon's gibberish deep? Hahahaha

by Anonymousreply 56December 12, 2019 10:33 PM

It's not like John did a good Christmas song himself, and at least Paul's wasn't so preachy and pompous (and didn't have Yoko).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2019 10:46 PM

While I love almost every song on every Gap In-Store Playlist, SIMPLY HAVING A WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME is one of the few I hate, hate, hate.

And it was on SO MANY Gap In-Store Playlists!

DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG!!!!!!!!!!

We're here tonight - and that's enough!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2019 10:50 PM

Paul is a genius no matter what you think of this silly granny song.

by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2019 10:51 PM

THE CHOIR OF CHILDREN SING THEIR SONG

DING DONG!!!

DING DONG!!!

DING DONG!!!

DING DONG!!!

DING DONG!!!

DING DONG!!!

DING DONG!!!

DING DONG!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 12, 2019 10:56 PM

It’s a great song that is very McCartney.

by Anonymousreply 61December 12, 2019 10:58 PM

VILE song

by Anonymousreply 62December 12, 2019 11:22 PM

I heard this song today while grocery shopping!

Along with waterboarding and sleep deprivation, I imagine that this song playing on an endless loop is another CIA tactic to coerce confessions at Guantanamo Bay.

by Anonymousreply 63December 13, 2019 12:43 AM

I saw Paul in concert about 10 years ago. He went for 3 hours without a break. I’m a lot younger than he is and had to get up and stretch my legs.

by Anonymousreply 64December 13, 2019 12:58 AM

This was the period when Paulie was obsessed with weird, grating synth textures. I'd still rather listen to it than that Mariah Carey abomination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 13, 2019 1:24 AM

With all that fame & fortune, John Lennon couldn’t keep from being murdered, Paul McCartney couldn't stop the love if his life from dying & George Harrison couldn’t make it to 60. Very sad.

Meanwhile, Ringo spent much of his childhood in hospital. He thought he was sickly, but people who researched a bit felt he’d basically been abandoned in the hospital. His father ran off when he was a toddler & his mother couldn’t afford him. He went into the hospital for an operation and stayed for months. Then he fell and broke his arm, so he stayed in the hospital for more months. He mother had to work.

by Anonymousreply 66December 13, 2019 4:20 AM

Oops, post got away from me before i could finish.

Ringo thought he was a sickly child, but he wasn’t. He turned out to be quite healthy.

I think he might be a little Alzheimer-ish, though. I saw him on tv and he didn’t really say much except “Peace & love, peace & love,” like he couldn’t remember anything else.

by Anonymousreply 67December 13, 2019 4:24 AM

To each his own. I agree with R61. I love this song.

by Anonymousreply 68December 13, 2019 5:51 AM

Paul and Linda were huge potheads. The man probably doesn’t have a functioning brain cell left.

by Anonymousreply 69December 13, 2019 6:31 AM

[quote] Paul and Linda were huge potheads

Omg, no!

Why weren’t they arrested, jailed & forced into rehab? Why weren’t they under house arrest for years? This is catastrophic

[quote] The man probably doesn’t have a functioning brain cell left.

Well, let’s see. He routinely travels between London, Scotland, NYC, Amagansett, LA, Paris, South of France, Canada, Japan, Australia, EU, etc. I think he’s got more than enough brain cells left.

by Anonymousreply 70December 13, 2019 6:48 AM

Kylie Minogue covered this song with Mika... and it's still terrible.

by Anonymousreply 71December 13, 2019 6:55 AM

Yeah, r71, when I want a song improved, they're who I call.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 13, 2019 7:00 AM

It's a nice song.

Piss off, Ebeneezer!

by Anonymousreply 73December 13, 2019 7:09 AM

As much as I hate this song, I STILL don't hate it as much as that overplayed, overrated piece of derivative drivel that Mariah Carey wrote.

by Anonymousreply 74December 13, 2019 1:42 PM

I'm sorry I know this isn't what the thread is about, but I have to post this. And I must preface this by saying I'm not looking for sympathy about my situation, the reason I'm posting is because it seems like something that would only happen to one of us on DL.

On November 1, my vet discovered my beloved dog was in renal failure after routine bloodwork. It's been a waking nightmare since, not knowing yet how or if he'll recover enough to go on. I went into Tom Thumb grocery on Tuesday and the David Lee Roth song (This Must Be Just Like Livin' in) Paradise ' was playing and it has been on loop in my head every hour of every day since. Some of the darkest days of my life and every mental free moment that song is playing over and over and over. "This Must be just like livin in paradise! And I don't wanna go ho-ome!" And then David Lee Roth doing that wah screaming thing. Over and over.

Fuck. Me.

by Anonymousreply 75December 13, 2019 7:39 PM

When he was good he was very very good . But when he was bad he was AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 76December 13, 2019 7:42 PM

I heard on the radio that Paul recorded a Christmas album, but it will never be released because he recorded it for his family and friends.

by Anonymousreply 77December 13, 2019 7:53 PM

John's Christmas song is even worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 13, 2019 11:08 PM

Simply having sex with a bunch of guys

by Anonymousreply 79December 14, 2019 12:00 AM

"If Mark David Chapman hadn't killed John Lennon, this would have."

Lennon was still alive when this was released in November of 1979.

by Anonymousreply 80December 15, 2019 12:00 PM

Apparently, the Queen of All Things Musical, the LEGEND...Miss Ross...didn't hate this song since she recorded a version of it!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 15, 2019 12:13 PM

Oh, you think that's bad? This was No.3 in the UK charts at Christmas 1984 (behind Do They Know It's Christmas and Last Christmas).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 15, 2019 12:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!