Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Remember B-sides? Did you turn your 45s over to hear what was on the other side? Any songs you particularly liked?

I used the term B-side on another thread and I suddenly realised there are MANY people who don't know what the fuck that is - anyway got me thinking of and remembering B-sides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 12, 2019 2:00 AM

The classic “I Feel Love” by Donna Summer was originally a B-side. Club DJs discovered and played it. The rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2019 6:39 PM

Queen

We Will Rock You is the B-side to We Are The Champions..

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2019 12:40 AM

"Come Together" and "Something" was a double A-side.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2019 12:44 AM

What's a "b-side"?

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2019 12:44 AM

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2019 12:48 AM

My older sister had the Do They Know It’s Christmas 45 and my brother and I would constantly play the dreadful B-Side to make fun of it. We’d repeat the lines in awful British accents to annoy our sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2019 12:50 AM

[quote]We’d repeat the lines in awful British accents

LOL

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2019 12:52 AM

Club Tropicana/Blue (armed with love) by Wham!

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2019 1:15 AM

Remember Ace of Base and its "Don't Turn Around"? Actually, that was a beautiful ballad written by Diane Warren and Albert Hammond. Originally recorded by Tina Turner and a B-side to her 1986 huge hit "Typical Male". I regret the song wasn't on Tina's album "Break Every Rule" and wasn't released as a single.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2019 1:19 AM

"Into the Groove" was the B-side of "Angel."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2019 1:29 AM

"Into the Groove" was the B-side of "Angel."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2019 1:29 AM

You're a sinner, I don't care

I just want your creamy thighs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2019 1:32 AM

The Teeny Bopper Song was the B-side of 98.6 and I loved to flip it over. It's a fun lovin' song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2019 1:34 AM

^ weird playing that - they've Stereo-ized it and it sounds quite different. Not as good. You can hear how out of tune the back singers sounded. You couldn't before.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2019 1:36 AM

The B-side to Annette's Muscle Beach Party was I Dream About Frankie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2019 1:39 AM

R12 that bitch was crazy. Nobody should crucify a political candidate because he married a crazy bitch. I loved Prince's music and its raunchy lyrics. Taught me some stuff that sex ed didn't.

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2019 1:50 AM

OF COURSE I turned my 45s over to see what was there. I've always preferred "Baby, You're a Rich Man" to the mindless "All You Need Is Love."

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2019 1:52 AM

Silver Springs was the B side of Go Your Own Way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2019 2:30 AM

This is actually an A-side but it is one of the the weirdest things Apple ever issued. I used to own the Brute Force album back in the 70's, it was really odd and funny. Apparently George Harrison heard a demo of the song and decided it would be great for Apple, needless to say it did not get any airtime in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2019 2:52 AM

"Rain," one of my favorite Beatles' songs, was the "B" side of "Paperback Writer." The color video seems to have disappeared from YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2019 3:40 AM

Tori Amos perfected the art of releasing collectible B-sides in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2019 3:46 AM

The fantastic “Jack the Ripper” is the B Side to “Certain People I Know.” This became a fan favorite and the live version is popular but this original version from the single is my favorite one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2019 3:57 AM

To the boys and girls who see this thread:

Regardless that The DataLounge considers 45 "elder gay" that age is not elder. 45rpm records were available when I enrolled in university and later.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2019 4:08 AM

B sides are the bottoms of the record world.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2019 4:09 AM

[quote] Regardless that The DataLounge considers 45 "elder gay" that age is not elder. 45rpm records were available when I enrolled in university and later.

but no one knows when you enrolled in university, so your point is redundant

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2019 4:20 AM

Siouxsie & The Banshees turned B-sides into an artform imho. Their box set "Downside Up" is a treasure trove of rare B-sides. The band also used the 12inch maxi single vinyl to include a second B-side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2019 4:20 AM

R25 the age comment gave a clue, so can you not get a clue? I bet you're Generation Z.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2019 4:21 AM

The B side of theyrecomingtotakemeawayhaha was ahahyawaemekatotgminocreyeht with the song played backwards- 13 year old me thought that was friggin' hilarious...

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2019 5:21 AM

[quote]Regardless that The DataLounge considers 45 "elder gay" that age is not elder. 45rpm records were available when I enrolled in university and later.

When you enrolled alchemy as still a phd subject

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2019 5:33 AM

I liked Supernatural by Madonna, which was the B-side for Cherish.

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2019 5:45 AM

R29, If you think 45 is old, as my parents often said, you're in for a rude awakening. Bam Margera complained he needed a new body at 30. Your "old age" will arrive soon, especially if you drink alcohol, smoke or use any drug. I don't do those and have a young outlook, which my eyes, skin and full head of hair demonstrate. Everyone has 2 ages. Your comment shows your mind's age is probably barely beyond primary school.

After I matriculated, companies stopped issuing 45rpm records because CDs had taken over years before and the digital age was about to take over. Paying for and downloading music carried on an expensive device made in China is what's stupid.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2019 5:57 AM

R1, another disco classic b-side is “I Will Survive”. I would have loved to have been in my early-mid 20’s in the late 70’s.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2019 5:59 AM

Carole King's "It's Too Late" with "I Feel The Earth Move" as the B side.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2019 6:00 AM

R28 and I are probably the only two who would know this fun fact, AND who have listened to both sides of this 45.

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2019 6:10 AM

There was a recent thread here where someone posted a photo of the B side of a hit 45 rpm recording and the B side label consisted of the A side printed in reverse, as in a mirror. I think the poster said that when you played the B side it was the A side recording played in reverse.

Sorry I can't remember the recording or the thread but it was recent.

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2019 6:19 AM

Cyndi Lauper -- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun b/w Right Track Wrong Train

b/w = backed with

Was not released on the "She's So Unusual" album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2019 6:34 AM

Both Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All" and Paula Abdul's "Cold Hearted" were B-sides of hit singles then were released as singles themselves . ( "You Give Good Love" (#3) and "Straight Up"(#1) respectively)

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2019 6:37 AM

R37 interesting, didn't know that. Whitney had real talent, whereas Paula was completely manufactured. She predated autotune. Although young, I remember the controversy about Yvette Marine, who basically did most of the vocal work to produce a "bionic track" because Paula can't sing. Fabian's voice was also altered electronically.

by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2019 6:43 AM

One of my favorite songs by The Smiths, "How Soon Is Now," was originally the B-side to "William, It Was Really Nothing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2019 7:11 AM

The B side to Barbra Streisand's Love Theme from Eyes of Laura Mars (Prisoner) was the fabulous Laura and Neville Instrumental.

by Anonymousreply 40December 10, 2019 7:44 AM

OP reminds me how much more I liked side 2 of Abbey Road than side 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 10, 2019 7:56 AM

This was a great track that was played a lot in the Blitz club in the late 70s.

M Factor by M, b side of Pop Muzik.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 10, 2019 9:00 AM

Suede had some amazing b-sides too, I love this one To The Birds, b-side of The Drowners

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 10, 2019 9:02 AM

Some superb Pet Shop Boys b sides:

Paninaro We All Feel Better In The Dark In The Night Bet She's Not Your Girlfriend Some Speculation It Must Be Obvious The Truck Driver And His Mate How I Learned To Hate Rock & Roll Disco Potential

by Anonymousreply 44December 10, 2019 9:05 AM

Most of Sheena Easton's B-sides were never put on her albums (till later as bonus CD tracks). And almost all these B-sides were better than the album tracks

by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2019 9:22 AM

Weren't most of The Beatles' A's and B's NOT on albums?

It was Brian Epstein who said they should not be on the albums. That it was a con to get people to pay for the songs twice. This was one main reason for the size of their catalogue.

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2019 9:37 AM

R46 - it depends on which country you're in. In the UK they had a handful of singles where both sides were on an album. In the early days it was standard practice to have both sides of a single also on an album but they broke away from that quite quickly.

Love Me Do / PS I Love You (both on Please Please Me)

Please Please Me / Ask Me Why (both on Please Please Me)

Can't Buy Me Love / You Can't Do That (both on A Hard Day's Night)

A Hard Day's Night / Things We Said Today (both on A Hard Day's Night)

Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby (both on Revolver)

Something / Come Together (both on Abbey Road)

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2019 9:53 AM

Is all that in your head, R47 or did you look it up?

by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2019 10:11 AM

I'm musically very lazy. 45s suited me because they were spoon fed to me on the radio. I very often didn't bother to listen to the other side. They were usually awful anyway. I've kept them all. I have cupboards and boxes full of them. Sometimes when I'm in the mood I transfer a bunch of them to digital format.

Remember cassette singles? They didn't last. Literally and figuratively.

CD singles were good though. Have a ton of them too.

by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2019 10:17 AM

I knew most of it, I'm a bit of a record collector geek.

by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2019 10:21 AM

[quote]Something / Come Together (both on Abbey Road)

Wasn't this one of the few of their singles not to make it to number one in England?

by Anonymousreply 51December 10, 2019 10:23 AM

R51 - yes, and I think it was the only time where the single came out after the album. I think Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby came out on the same day as Revolver.

It was put out at Allen Klien's suggestion, supposedly to curry favour with George, giving him his first UK a-side. It only got to #4, which was their poorest chart showing for a new single since Love Me Do.

by Anonymousreply 52December 10, 2019 11:06 AM

I rather like reading reviews of Beatles and other singles, the week they came out in old music papers. You should check out The Disc & Music Echo 1966-72 group, on Facebook, R52, if you're interested - here's a taster >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2019 11:34 AM

Tiffany - Mr. Mambo, b side to I Saw Him Standing There. The valley girl rap is dreadful but the rest of the song is catchy. It was released on her Greatest Hit album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2019 12:04 PM

Whitney Houston - Dancin' On A Smooth Edge. B side to All The Man That I Need. Erroneously left off the I'm Your Baby Tonight album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2019 12:06 PM

Paula Abdul - Next To You. B side to Forever Your Girl. Love the song, it was a nice breather from all the dance songs she released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2019 12:10 PM

[quote]Something / Come Together (both on Abbey Road)

[quote]Wasn't this one of the few of their singles not to make it to number one in England?

Everyone bought the album.

by Anonymousreply 57December 10, 2019 1:32 PM

After all these years, I'm still obsessed with the B-Side to Depeche Mode's "Behind the Wheel" which is their cover of "Route 66."

Pretty audacious for a "techno" band from England to do a guitar-heavy, dance-able version of an Americana classic.

"Don't forget Winona!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 10, 2019 2:37 PM

Thompson Twins British release of Quick Steps & Side Quicks had many different tracks than what were released on the American Side Kicks version.

by Anonymousreply 59December 10, 2019 2:45 PM

Spandau Ballet were incredibly lazy and almost always just put an instrumental version of the a-side on the b-side. The only exceptions I can think of are Gently, the b-side of Instinction and Glow, which was officially a double a-side, but Musclebound got the video and all the airplay. Glow is the best thing they ever did by miles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 10, 2019 2:49 PM

The B side of Terry Jacks' Season In The Sun was called Put The Bone In, it took me a few years to get the joke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 10, 2019 3:02 PM

One I particularly remember was the B-side to Layla. I think a lot of people listened to both sides back in the day. It fitted in well with my own teenage angst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 10, 2019 3:12 PM

Dolly Parton's "Here You Come Again" had "Me and Little Andy" on the B side. Tear-jerker song....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 10, 2019 3:25 PM

Fleetwood Mac's Big Love had Play in the Rain as a B-side, which I ended up preferring over time.

by Anonymousreply 64December 10, 2019 3:26 PM

A lot of country artists like ONJ, Linda Ronstadt and Juice Newton put out B-sides to appeal to the country market while the A-side appealed to the pop format

He Ain't Heavy...He's My Brother / Let It Shine...Love Is A Rose / Heatwave...Tell Her No / Stranger At My Door/ (and again with ONJ Twist of Fate / Take A Chance (with John Travolta)

by Anonymousreply 65December 10, 2019 5:32 PM

The B-Side of Olivia Newton-John's hit "I Honestly Love You" was "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina".....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 10, 2019 5:42 PM

Tom Tom Club's "On, On, On, On" was the B-side of "Under the Boardwalk." Very catchy and fun. I think it became more popular as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 10, 2019 8:17 PM

Aretha Franklin - Dr. Feelgood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 10, 2019 8:49 PM

Aretha Franklin - Do Right Woman, Do Right Man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2019 8:50 PM

Aretha Franklin - I Say a Little Prayer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 10, 2019 8:51 PM

Dionne Warwick - Wishin' and Hopin.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 10, 2019 8:53 PM

The b-side that changed the career of KISS.

The a-side was Detroit Rock City, but a DJ turned it over and played Beth, and the rest is history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 10, 2019 8:54 PM

Some of the Supremes' B-sides were excellent. Maybe not as good as the A-sides, but usually well worth listening to. Here's a whole playlist of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 10, 2019 8:54 PM

Dionne Warwick - (Theme From) Valley of the Dolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2019 8:56 PM

Dee Dee Warwick - Alfie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 10, 2019 9:00 PM

R32, you stole my valor, haha. I was gonna say the B-Side of "I Will Survive" b/w "Substitute". I would mention all of Donna Summer's B-sides, but both sides were and still are good to hear no matter what. I so wish that I could have spent just one or two nights in Studio 54. I think I would have been so different than what I am now present-day, haha.

by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2019 9:26 PM

Otis Redding - Hard to Handle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 10, 2019 9:31 PM

The Shirelles - Boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 10, 2019 9:31 PM

Dusty Springfield - Just a Little Lovin' (Earling In the Morning).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 10, 2019 9:33 PM

Oingo Boingo's "Dead Man's Party" was the B-side of "Just Another Day," but it became a hit of it's own, being featured in the Rodney Dangerfiled comedy "Back to School." And it was always an anticipated staple at their famous Halloween concerts. From their appearance on the Joan Rivers show in 1987:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 10, 2019 9:53 PM

Them - Gloria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 10, 2019 9:57 PM

Aretha Franklin - Ain't No Way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 10, 2019 9:58 PM

Loleatta Holloway - Dreamin'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 10, 2019 9:59 PM

Lulu - To Sir With Love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 10, 2019 10:01 PM

Yes! I loved B-sides - "Natural Thing" by Journey and "Do You Really Want to Know?" by George Michael.

by Anonymousreply 85December 10, 2019 10:01 PM

Thank you, [R19]. I know a lot about the Beatles but I had never, ever heard of "King of Fuh" on Apple.

by Anonymousreply 86December 10, 2019 10:03 PM

Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 10, 2019 10:03 PM

Laura Nyro - Stoney End.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 10, 2019 10:05 PM

Etta James - Seven Day Fool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 10, 2019 10:07 PM

Ray Charles - Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 10, 2019 10:10 PM

The Temptations - Don't Look Back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 10, 2019 10:12 PM

Pointer Sisters - Fairytale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 10, 2019 10:14 PM

Jackie DeShannon - When You Walk In the Room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 10, 2019 10:19 PM

Wilson Pickett - I'm in Love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 10, 2019 10:21 PM

r38 In reference to the Paula Abdul scandal, Yvette Marine didn't necessarily do most of the work, she sang the same vocals as Paula Abdul and the two vocal tracks were mixed together. Marine made a stink about it and wanted more credit and possibly more pay. Session singers were a common practice, but they weren't always mixed in with the lead vocal. Paula was broadsided and embarrassed because it not only made her look bad, it suggested she orchestrated the whole thing. Most likely record company execs and producers made the decision. Artists who aren't writers/producers have less power than you might think.

by Anonymousreply 95December 10, 2019 11:22 PM

R95, Understand your latter explanation. I was trained as a piano player and singer and read music, but was never in the industry. Basically, I know who's in charge; not the performer if she didn't author and produce the material. However, I listened to the vocal tracks and Paula Abdul can't sing. THAT is why she was embarrassed. Her voice was electronically enhanced. Marine's motives, I don't know. Patti LaBelle mentioned she was offered "Rush, Rush" turned it down and regretted that decision. So the theatrics with Keanu Reeves at the Observatory were manufactured as "scenery" to masque the obvious. Thanks for your input.

by Anonymousreply 96December 10, 2019 11:31 PM

[Quote] I was trained as a piano player and singer and read music, but was never in the industry.

How many times have you mentioned this in threads here? Are you the Celine Dion troll?

by Anonymousreply 97December 10, 2019 11:33 PM

I think it would be helpful to mention the "A" side when listing the "B" side title.

by Anonymousreply 98December 12, 2019 1:51 AM

R97, no rude bitch, I don't own a one single Celine Dion CD or recording. People who want to make germane comments need to have some type of credentials, not just be bitchy queens. I don't toot my own horn. You're envious and/or projecting.

R96

by Anonymousreply 99December 12, 2019 2:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!