Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Harry Styles Fine Line Part 3

Paywalled again!

Who loved the Adore You video?

by Anonymousreply 73December 12, 2019 4:21 AM

Loved the video, the story is fun, he looks like a dream and could show his acting chops. Didn't love the song, but I expected that.

I'm quite sure he'll have a career in 2025, he's here to stay. By then his third album will be out, it will be interesting where he goes with that, after changing things up a lot in his second era.

I think Niall will also have a career, but on a smaller scale than right now. He's a competent singer and musician, I think he'll be fine in that regard, he just lacks the charisma and magnetism of Harry and has more of a "nice dude" vibe. It doesn't look good for Louis and especially Liam. I didn't think I'd place Liam's chances lower than Louis's, because Liam can actually sing, has a good body, a Hugo Boss campaign etc.. But he doesn't know what to do with himself and it shows. Louis on the other hand is hardly a great singer and the whole chavvy tracksuit thing is not that appealing, but he seems to know himself fairly well by now (contrary to Liam).

Career-wise I'd say Louis really needs to learn how to play guitar (and get some singing lessons), get a stable band and write more of his own stuff together with that band, if he really wants to give this indie rock thing a go. He's now in a weird place with his 1D/Larry fans, the need to appeal to those fans (also musically), because he has no others, and his whole indie shtick. If he can make this doubtful transition it will be outside of pop charts and big concerts though.

Liam would need something like a good role in a (musical) film or something like that to truly restart his career. Or he becomes an X Factor judge or focuses on British TV star. The whole R&B/hip hop solo singer isn't working for him.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2019 8:52 AM

Good summary, R1. Niall and Harry's new songs charted comfortably in the itunes top five in most countries, whereas Liam's, released the same day, wasn't anywhere in the US/US top 100 but turned up at 158 in the worldwide itunes. A huge, huge gap. Liam didn't even bother performing the new one at the Capital Ball where he has just finished singing as the opening act. Harry will definitely play his three new ones later on when he comes on before the headliner, Stormzy.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2019 6:51 PM

I wonder why it's so hard for Liam?

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2019 7:45 PM

Harry bombed on Graeme Norton, and the song is total forgettable shit.

Noe can you cunts please fuck off, and then die

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2019 7:47 PM

He sang What Makes You Beautiful at the Jingle Bell Ball. He knows his audience.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2019 11:20 PM

Harry did really well on Norton and had a wild time at the Capital Ball, running round in a tight denim jumpsuit and white boots. Definitely back on form. Shawn Mendes is already copying him by wearing pearls/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2019 11:42 PM

R3 He's a good singer with a broad range, but he's not the best at conveying emotion in his voice and I think a lot of his career choices seem somewhat half-heartedly. At first he wanted to be a gangster rapper so badly, despite being a nice, white boy from Wolverhampton without a huge personality, then he changed to the male model thing and his music is kind of in between, but it seems a bit like an afterthought. There's this feeling that he lacks a clear identity and authenticity, which is exacerbated by him co-writing only a small portion of his songs. He just doesn't seem like he's a musician with all his heart and soul, even though I think he really wants that since he's 14. He just doesn't seem to know how to go about it - I mean, his debut album, the one that should have a big impact and make a clear statement of him as an artist, had only a handful of new songs (Strip That Down was released over 2.5 years ago!) and a ton of lukewarm collaborations. And some absolutely laughable lyrics. It's a shame, he needs a new team, that can steer him into the right direction. And he needs to sort himself out.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2019 12:55 AM

The live version of Adore You is much better imho, his voice is better (warmer, more natural - I think it's slightly "tinny" on the album version), the vocal harmonies and instruments sound much more real and organic, including the drums and guitar solo, not so much a synth mess. And he sang a low bridge, instead of just a repetition of the chorus, which is such a small thing, but makes it already less repetitive and more interesting. This bridge reminds me a bit of the one in 1D's Perfect. I don't get it why they didn't record it that way.

Still not a great song to my taste, but I'm sad to say the album version is actually slightly annoying to me and the live version is at least okay.

Regarding fashion I have more or less given up lol. But the Elvis jumpsuit and less heeled boots are at least better than what he wore on Jools Holland or in Nashville, it's form fitting, shows off his torso and he can move in it.

R6 I think this time it's the other way round, Shawn had his pearl necklace (lol.. the jokes write themselves with this) already at the AMAs. And I actually like his necklace slightly better - the baroque pearls aren't quite as Jackie Kennedy. Rumour has it that Harry's pearl necklace broke at the Capital FM Ball tonight before he had to go on stage.. it's fate, Harry, it wasn't meant to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2019 1:24 AM

R5 Does he? I've seen many people writing on twitter that they'd have preferred Kiwi, but maybe others were happy with WMYB. Maybe he decided to play WMYB, because Kiwi would have been too different in sound for such a small set with three new songs out of five. Adore You sounds a bit like a grown up 1D song (with The Weekend influence), so having an actual 1D song in the set doesn't seem too weird. Even though his tour version of WMYB was made to fit the sound of HS1 better, not Fine Line.

In general I wonder what he will do with the set list for his next tour. The songs of Fine Line so far (and also what we know from reviews) are a whole world apart from the sound of HS1. Will he jump between R&B influenced pop and folk? Two Ghosts and its slide guitar before Lights Up and its synth beats and phaser?

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2019 1:41 AM

I laughed very hard when Graham Norton called Harry's tour the Big Pants Tour.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2019 2:10 AM

R10 Yes, that and the moose knuckle lol. I like Graham Norton in general and I think it's always nice to see Harry on his show, he seems more relaxed there than in some other shows/interviews. His 2017 appearance was great too, maybe even more fun, because less focused on the promo points of single, album and tour.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2019 2:54 AM

Harry looked better than ever last night. Very slim and fit. He should never hide that body behind those awful baggy Gucci trousers which make his waist look high and thick, or the Elton John suits and high necked blouses.

The graphics that showed during Watermelon were stunning. Huge pictures of Harry in ballet tights only and a hat with a bare torso. Yes please!

I think and hope his 2020 tour will involve a lot of 1d style running around and wild dancing to the faster songs like the three released so far. There are slower songs on Fine Line though - Falling for one. She is supposed to be more of an old fashioned rock song.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2019 4:49 AM

Huge bulge!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2019 5:29 AM

R7 Interesting description of Liam's problems. To be honest , part of your description also describes Harry and a few even describe Louis. Not all of it, just a few parts.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2019 6:46 AM

R14 I see what you might mean and I think in parts it's true for all of them coming out of a boy band of 1D. It's certainly always a process of finding themselves. But there was never this public perception of being lost like I think it's for Liam now. His gangster rapper phase was treated as a joke by everyone - something like that never happened to any of the others. He's now mostly in the papers due to gossip like (ex) girlfriends, his kid, 1D talk etc. and now his debut album got panned by critics as well. It tips the balance rather unfavourably.

Personally I might be disappointed with Harry's sophomore era so far (especially considering the potential I think he has), but whatever I grumble about here - his new music or his fashion or his fan base - it's not exactly reflected in how the critics and media see him, I think. I'd say of all the 1D members he's probably seen the most as a musician with an artistic vision, so he and his team must do at least some things right. And I think HS1 paved the way and made that impact that LP1 failed to make - even though ironically Harry treats it now as an accident, where he tried too hard as opposed to his new, free, quirky, sexy music, which is "pure Harry" (as Stevie Nicks said). And we don't know, maybe that's truly how he sees it - we've speculated here about radio singles and record label pressure, but of course in the end we don't know anything and the new singles might be much more his thing than all the songs of HS1. We also can't know how it works out long-term and ever outside of the 1D fan base, but so far Fine Line and the singles got even better reviews than HS1 (the insult...) and I think he'll also be commercially successful.

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2019 8:47 AM

Absolutely nothing in R7 applies to Harry.

Harry is a multi faceted artist, R15. Just bc he's added three songs with a faster tempo to his repertoire, it doesn't mean he doesn't like the Sott type songs anymore or has renounced the whole of HS1.

by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2019 1:01 PM

Leaked Sunflower and it sounds really indie and quirky!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2019 8:13 PM

R16 Yeah, it doesn't automatically mean it, I guess we'll have to see how he develops as an artist in the long run to see what kind of music is truly "pure Harry". Of course I'm somewhat bitter about the whole "HS1 was too try hard, this one is much more me" narrative - on a personal level lol, but also because I think it's not really necessary? I think he could just say he developed and discovered new sounds, without making HS1 sound inauthentic.

I also wouldn't say it's just "faster tempo" or I'd have expected more stuff like Kiwi, Only Angel or Medicine. And both LU and WS aren't that fast either, more groovy than wild. His new singles are a rather new sound, more pop with lots of funk, soul, even R&B influences, different production and vocals etc. A lot of people have said the new stuff reminds them a bit of Zayn. Since Zayn's solo music was kind of the opposite of Harry's music during his HS1 era, it illustrates imho how different the new singles are and tempo is just one factor in it.

His new sound is received very well by both critics and fans, who all seem to love it much more (some comments make me actually wonder how fake the enthusiasm for HS1 was). Combined with what he says about writing his new music, personally I think he won't truly go "back" to a HS1 sound. Or the indie rock some people in 2016 hoped he would go for (the White Stripes/Arctic Monkeys/Interpol influenced sound). There might be elements of folk or psychedelic rock on Fine Line, but I think Rob Sheffield was spot on with describing him as a mixture between an adored pop star and freaky artiste - that's what I expect the new album and possibly his future music to sound like tbh.

by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2019 12:36 AM

R17 Damn, I was too slow... what did it sound like? Any comparisons?

by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2019 12:42 AM

Harry fans will like whatever Harry does.

by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2019 12:47 AM

R20 Very likely. I think this statement might be put to test with how they'll receive Treat People With Kindness from his new album lol.

Has anyone listened to the leaks?

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2019 1:31 AM

R19, there were popping and bubbling sounds and Harry was kind of yipping and howling. A critic compared the production to Vampire Weekend.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2019 3:31 AM

R22 Thanks! Sounds very quirky! Did you like it?

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2019 4:30 AM

I was having coffee with some younger friends who are very music savvy. So, I asked them about Harry's new songs. One described them as bland and one said "I didn't see that coming. " And these are friends that really enjoyed Sign of The Times. They also didn't make it very far in to the Adore video. I had to admit that I've only watched it once and that was enough.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2019 5:57 AM

R23, I did like it! Only heard 40 seconds though.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2019 8:14 AM

[QUOTE] I was having coffee with some younger friends who are very music savvy. So, I asked them about Harry's new songs. One described them as bland and one said "I didn't see that coming. " And these are friends that really enjoyed Sign of The Times. They also didn't make it very far in to the Adore video.

This is so patently fabricated. They were all so music savvy but hated all 3 songs, plus the AY video. Sure, Jan. Typical Welp Troll fakeness.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2019 8:17 AM

Interesting Music Week article simply because it's a reminder of how much work,time and money Sony have invested in Harry's career and how much involvement Rob Stringer ( CEO of Sony Music Group) has.

Quote re Azoff and Stringer: 'The double act behind Harry Styles are eager to return to the campaign they believe will blow every other modern pop release out of the water'

(Azoff) “For [the] music [industry], it couldn’t be more important to have someone with the platform Harry has who’s willing to take risks and put music out that would be considered untraditional.'

(Azoff) 'Azoff isn’t about to suggest the team “don’t pay attention to charts and positioning”, but he stresses they “don’t spend too much time worrying about it”. The goal here is global visibility and impact, which will surely increase when ‘Harry Styles Love On Tour’ begins in April in the UK, taking in international arena dates before ending in Colombia in October............

'The tour is a big part to set him up for long term'.

At the end of the day everything Harry says and does is intended to fulfil his $80 million contract ( and I'm in little doubt now that Sony get a hefty % of tour takings ) and throwing HS1 under the bus because it wasn't as successful as they wanted /thought it would be is part of that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2019 10:35 AM

R27 Very interesting article. A bit phony, heavy on the PR and almost embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2019 1:10 PM

What do we think they mean when they talk about their goal being 'global visibility and impact'rather than chart positions? It sounds to me as though they are more interested in getting his name and face recognised worldwide rather than his music which I think they are well on their way to achieving anyway with promo co-hosting the Met Gala, hosting SNL and the Late Late Show ( with alleged ex Kendall Jenner as his guest just to get the press talking). I mean we've spoken on here about alot of his actual fans being more interested in Harry himself than in his music. It just seems a strange thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2019 3:02 PM

R29 You're right. But what else can they say, he doesn't sell as well as other pop stars. I can't really figure out why though. So, I guess they just go with what they know, promote, promote promote. And little do they know, he is globally visible since 2010.

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2019 3:17 PM

I don't know about "music savy", but I've also talked to a few people irl, who didn't really like any of the new singles. However they were all "locals", just people who liked his first album or at least SOTT, but not fans in that sense and not as young as Harry's usual core fan base. For example I talked to a good friend's girlfriend in November, before Adore You came out, and she absolutely loved both Lights Up and WS - more so than his first album. But being 21 years old, female, queer and a 1D/Harry fan since 2014, she's the embodiment of his target demographic.

The opposite example is probably my mum, who is far from the target demographic as a 60+ year old, who isn't particularly into rock or modern pop (although she's the biggest Lady Gaga fan I know lol). But she really loved SOTT, Sweet Creature and Two Ghosts and listened to it in the car all the time. I've recently played the new singles for her, but she didn't like them, found them too repetitive, didn't like the instrumentation and vocals (except in Adore You, but not the rest of the song).

So maybe it's a bit of a divide in regards to age and "fan status"? Of course I have no idea of the (possibly older) general public, who might have liked a few songs of Harry's first album makes an impact in regards to sales and charts. They might have bought SOTT, but not physical copies of the album or concert tickets. So maybe it was good to focus on the younger, more enthusiastic core fans and maybe pop fans in a similar target demographic, I don't know.

Although I guess it's not as clear cut. I got sent some of the awful quality, 30 sec leaks by someone in her early 20s, who said she loved the first album/era (esp. Only Angel, Kiwi and Ultralight Beam) and apparently she had connections to other fans to get the leaks in the first place, so I guess that would be target demographic? But she had the leaks, because she didn't like the singles and accordingly didn't plan to buy the album. Not sure if she changed her mind now.

In the end those are just anecdotes and speculation of course and doesn't say much about the general appeal of the new music. Or if Harry even cares. If his new music is an expression of his artistic vision, much more to his liking and therefore less of a drag to write and record than his first album, then I doubt he would force himself to make music like on HS1 just to get slightly better sales (that might not happen anyway).

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2019 4:35 PM

I like the Adore You music video, I think it's a nice story and I really like Harry's acting. But I think the whole story including prologue and epilogue might be a "problem" for streams, because people don't play it, if they just want to listen to the song and not watch the whole nearly 8 minute video. In that regard Lights Up worked better.

R27 Interesting take. I agree, it's clear that Sony/Rob Stringer has a vested interest in Harry's career and did so in the beginning. But interestingly it was also Rob Stringer who greenlighted the nearly 6 minute lead single for Harry's first album - Harry and Jeff Bhasker actually offered him a 3 minute radio edit of SOTT, but Stringer went for the whole thing, which is an unusual decision. Stringer also called Harry "incredibly focused and strong-minded", which doesn't sound like someone, who could get pressured into making pop hits. And I don't think Stringer had to say this for PR, he could have easily said "incredibly versatile and open-minded" or something like that instead.

R29 I think "global visibility and impact" just means that there's more to a long-term career in music than just charts. I'm sure Rob Stringer also meant Harry's tour. US Billboard charts are one thing, but being known and having an impact on continents like South America, Asia and Australian and being able to tour there is another, probably more lucrative thing.

R30 All the 1D members are globally visible since 2010, but they can't necessarily all sell a world tour. That's where the continued visibility and impact comes in.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2019 4:59 PM

"just means that there's more to a long-term career in music than just charts. "

There's also more to having a long term career than being phoney, they need to work on that.

"All the 1D members are globally visible since 2010, but they can't necessarily all sell a world tour. That's where the continued visibility and impact comes in."

Let's wait and see if he sells this tour out.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2019 5:42 PM

Niall is still on the Billboard Top 100. Harry isn't.

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2019 5:44 PM

R34 Because Billboard Top 100 heavily counts radio play for their chart (and NTMY gets a lot of spins, LU wasn't on US radio), which doesn't make a whole lot of sense as the audience doesn't get to choose what's on radio and what's not contrary to actual sales and streams. It makes the whole radio system even more corrupt. I wish they would stop this, so radio program directors would actually play whatever they deem worthy of radio play (including smaller artists with small labels), not just whatever major artists the big record labels can push regarding radio play in order to chart higher on the Billboard top 100.

Since Adore You was the first of Harry's songs, that has a US radio impact date (yesterday I think?) it will be included in next week's Billboard Top 100.

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2019 5:59 PM

R35 A song doesn't actually have to be given an impact date to be played on the radio in the US. I know that Arianna Grande's Thank u Next was a radio hit even though it never had an impact date and one of Justin Bieber's recent ones was a radio hit before the impact date dropped. So they can be played on the radio due to hype alone.

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2019 6:04 PM

R33 Of course we'll have to wait and see if his 2020 tour will be a success. But we were talking about goals here and it's clear that it's a goal of Sony to have that long-term, touring artist success with Harry. And I'd say out of all 1D members he currently has the best chances to sell out a world tour. Niall is currently struggling quite a bit in North America, but might sell his tour a lot better once his album is out. Louis knows arenas would be too big for him and (rightly) focuses on selling at his small venue tour for now. And Liam doesn't tour at all, which is probably wise as well at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2019 6:05 PM

R36 I know, but it's rare and obviously it didn't happen with Lights Up. Ariana Grande is the current pop princess, she's much bigger than Harry, especially in the US. I don't know much about the current state of Bieber's career, but between him and Ariana you hardly have bigger and more hyped pop names in US radio.

by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2019 6:08 PM

After reading Harry's tour dates, I was impressed that he is doing a show in Moscow. Then I looked and Louis is also. Now I'm impressed with both of them.

by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2019 6:40 PM

The Sun have a bit of a vendetta with Harry but in any event here is their summary of the 1d solo careers so far! Can't stand Liam but I am feeling a bit sorry for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 10, 2019 9:31 PM

It's time they lay off shitting on Liam. None of them will ever be as big as One Direction was, everyone knows that.

by Anonymousreply 41December 10, 2019 10:55 PM

Niall's new song Put A Little Love On Me was produced by Adele's producer Greg Kurstin, yet strangely, it's already dropped to #89 on the UK itunes and looks set to chart way outside the Top 40. Harry is still at #7 with Adore You.

by Anonymousreply 42December 11, 2019 1:51 AM

Harry is hosting the Late Late Show tonight, and flirting up a storm with Kendall Jenner in the teasers.

by Anonymousreply 43December 11, 2019 3:21 AM

Harry and Kendall have been close friends for years.

by Anonymousreply 44December 11, 2019 3:29 AM

They also dated on and off for two years.

by Anonymousreply 45December 11, 2019 5:47 AM

R44 You can tell they have never dated, just friends.

by Anonymousreply 46December 11, 2019 5:56 AM

R46, they were making out in their swimwear on vacation in New Year 2016, so YES they hooked up. Are you some kind of tragic Larrie, deep in denial?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 11, 2019 6:02 AM

R40 I feel sorry for Liam too... I even listened to his album, even though I don't like that kind of music.

R46 Yeah, no. I mean.. I don't know how you define friendship, but I don't make out half naked with my friends. Two very attractive people in their early 20s, who get along very well? It would be more unusual if they wouldn't have hooked up/dated.

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2019 6:06 AM

His performance of Adore You.

I've said it already, but this song is much better live. It's still a bit lightweight for my taste, but I'm starting to get into it. I'd probably rank his singles Adore You > WS > LU at the moment. Also that note change at 0:30? I really really love that part. Honestly, best part for me, love that melody and I think it fits the beat and all really well. I can't remember right now, but it makes think of an 80s song...

The set is really beautiful btw!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2019 6:34 AM

The problem with the 'yacht' pics. is that this is Harry Styles and he was photographed 'making out' with Kendall jenner ( a long term friend) in full view of a pap paid for by the Kardashians for 3 days straight, knowing those pics. were being taken, they seemingly both went their seperate ways thereafter and this was exactly the point at which 1d started their 'hiatus'. Whether they ever dated or not I seriously raised an eyebrow at all those yacht pics at the time.

On a seperate note a quite interesting article from a publication I've never heard. But if you overlook the quotes from Harry fan accounts he makes some interesting points which I think I pretty much agree with at this point re Harry's career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 11, 2019 9:10 AM

Liam needs to take a break from music and get himself healthy and focused. He is all over the place and doesn't know who he is or what he wants. He has a child he needs to spend some time with and after 4 years, he still hasn't been able to put out good music. He has a good voice.

Louis has the most dedicated group of fans, he was the underdog and he has always had a following who protect him fiercely. He also unfortunately has to deal with the insane Larry nonsense. Despite his family tragedies he seems to be making the music he wants to make. He isn't a charismatic performer and doesn't have the voice for arenas/stadiums and he made a good choice to do small intimate venues for his tour. They will sell out and he can connect more meaningfully with his fans.

Niall seems to be just trucking along doing his thing. He is also really into golf and so music isn't his whole world. Over time, he may move more and more into golf. He still seems to be enjoying making music and touring.

Zayn - has an incredible voice but unless he can get his mental illness and addiction under control, I can't see him doing much with it.

Harry seems to have the most potential to stay in the music world. He is also charismatic and has the ego / narcissicm to pull it off. He loves attention and is a bit of an exhibitionist. I think as the others fall off, he will keep the 1D fan base. Whether or not he can build a big non 1D following is still to be seen. He did try acting and maybe will do that again as well. I don't love his music but it is good enough to keep his fans listening and buying tour tickets.

by Anonymousreply 51December 11, 2019 12:39 PM

I really don't get the hype. He's the ugliest member of 1D and his music isn't that special. Why is he the one with a successful solo career? Oh, wait, I forgot, he gay baits like hell and teenage girls love that sort of thing. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2019 12:59 PM

From Hits Daily Double ( industry mouthpiece ) today:

'Harry Styles’ latest North American arena tour is blowing up. The CAA/Full Stop team, led by Jeffrey Azoff, are elated about their buzzing client’s three sold-out shows apiece at the Forum and Madison Square Garden, along with practically instantaneous sellouts in Toronto, Chicago and Atlanta. These dates are part of a 35-show U.S. run scheduled between 6/26 and 9/6. With Styles’ new Columbia album, Fine Line, coming out on Friday, wonderers are wondering just how big a ticket bundle will be needed to enable a first-week number that could approach 300k. Styles has captured the zeitgeist of the market without a continual social-media presence or the typical nonstop promo schedule. It’s a less-is-more strategy in the cool English-rock tradition. By stark contrast, today we hear the tale of the prospective superstar diva who’s had a couple of massive hits but has discovered to her dismay—and that of her team—that her new tour is in deep trouble. Said superstar in waiting has achieved social-network ubiquity and does every TV opp, every radio show, every chance to be in the public eye—if her team had its way, one manager quipped, she’d be at every envelope opening. We’re hearing lots of chatter from the top masters of the game as they discuss the diametrically opposed management styles of these two artists.'

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2019 2:13 PM

Forgot to add to that post that I know everyone seems to do it but ticket bundles don't seem fair to me. I saw someone on twitter say they have 3 albums coming becauase they bought 3 ticket bundles. I suppose a true reflection of how well the album is doing will be how well it does after the initial 1st week .

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2019 2:16 PM

Harry has a big dick, guys! Look at that bulge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2019 3:57 PM

[QUOTE] The problem with the 'yacht' pics. is that this is Harry Styles and he was photographed 'making out' with Kendall jenner ( a long term friend) in full view of a pap paid for by the Kardashians for 3 days straight, knowing..

Please do us a favour and fuck off with your illiterate tinhat ramblings. All the photos are blurry because they were taken from a boat several hundred metres away. There was no 'paid pap' on the yacht.

Furthermore, Harry's mother's icloud was hacked a few months after these pics appeared and she had pictures of Kendall and Harry sitting casually smushed up together, his hand on her upper thigh. They were on a vacation with each other's families at New Year, so it was definitely quite a serious relationship at one point. He also wrote Hallway, Only Angel, Woman and Dining Table about her.

They were in an on/off relationship for over two years, from the ski-ing pics in Jan 2014 to perhaps April 2016. After that K dated Asap Rocky and three different basketball players.

by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2019 4:10 PM

R53, who is the other artist? Halsey?

by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2019 4:13 PM

R53, The unnamed female singer in that article is Camila Cabello, who's new album and tour are flopping hard.

by Anonymousreply 58December 11, 2019 4:13 PM

Thanks, R58.

by Anonymousreply 59December 11, 2019 4:27 PM

Yes, no matter what you think about paps (who are usually quite good at finding famous people even without getting called) and the blurry yacht pics, I'm pretty sure Harry wouldn't lie to and play-act in front of his own mother about being in a relationship with anyone.

R53 R54 Interesting! But 300k first week sales? Really? That's a lot! And it would also be a lot more than his first, very successful album. Considering that none of the 1D guys can fully bank on the 1D fandom nowadays, 4 years after the split, I'd say it would already be quite the success if he has 250k.

The ticket bundles seem unfair, however as basically everone is doing it now, it would also make it unfair if someone is not doing it and therefore charting way worse. It also takes successful touring into account a bit, which might not be that bad? And I mean that also apart from Harry. We know that (at least short-lived) chart success can be manufactured to a certain extent by record labels and a big marketing machine, radio deals etc. However touring success is much harder to manufacture. There are many singers and bands out there, who people enjoy seeing live, but they don't chart that well, possibly because they don't quite fit into modern pop radio or because they don't have a huge marketing budget. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but it might make things easier for those artists?

On the other hand it sucks of course for artists, who can't tour big for whatever reason. And personally I dislike the trend to put tickets on sale earlier and earlier (possibly to calculate pre-sale/bundle numbers), because you're kind of forced to buy tickets "blindly" if you want good seats or pit, without knowing if the new album is any good.

R58 Thanks for the info. Wow, I thought the new album was doing not that bad? Because she really is everywhere these days, as HDD pointed out (what a burn btw).

by Anonymousreply 60December 11, 2019 5:15 PM

A detailed, 4* review from Rolling Stone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 11, 2019 7:09 PM

Interesting review, even though it's extremely short and not discussing a bunch of songs. But the writer called "She" (which we - based on some reviews - suspected might have some old school rock feel, similar to HS1) a "Beck-y" track, which makes it sound quite different than the Pink Floyd associations others have implied. I'm inclined to believe him more as he correctly called the singles "soul-pop", which is a good description, I think. Certainly better than that one review calling Lights Up indie rock lol.

So far he also seems to be the only one, who found Fine Line good, but not as "revelatory" as the "surprisingly sublime" debut album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 11, 2019 7:13 PM

R61 I'm laughing, I just posted the Beck comparison of She without seeing you posted the RS review, where it's called a Sign of the Time-eque hommage to Bowie. I swear, music journalism is like tarot card reading.

by Anonymousreply 63December 11, 2019 7:15 PM

Here's Part 4 for when the paywall inevitably comes down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 11, 2019 7:54 PM

Liam is coming in for more accusations of toxic masculinity after telling The Face that Harry is his new outfits 'looks weird' and he would't 'know what to say to him'. Liam needs to shut up and go away for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 65December 11, 2019 7:55 PM

Does anyone have the full interview with Liam? Just saw it in the dailymail and they are not the most reliable source. But they quote him as saying that HE would look weird in Harry's clothes, not that they are per se weird: "I couldn't put myself in that. I'd look f**king… It'd look weird." And it's not exactly surprising (or even insulting) that he wouldn't know what to say to him, it's clear that they have not much in common these days and probably never had. He has said that a few times now, so I don't know why people act surprised. But it would be better for him to not say anything about Harry or the others at the moment, because clearly people like to dissect his every dumb comment and get riled up.

Since I'm not Liam, I can say it at least: Harry's big pants ARE weird. His best solo looks were during Dunkirk promo imho.

by Anonymousreply 66December 11, 2019 8:44 PM

Liam is getting ready for that tell-all !

by Anonymousreply 67December 11, 2019 10:30 PM

The Jonas Brothers did a big ticket bundle with their album just like Harry is doing. It makes them look a lot bigger than they really are.

by Anonymousreply 68December 11, 2019 10:51 PM

R67 Hopefully! But I don't think people are ready for a Liam-style tell-all considering that every comment he makes gets him cancelled lol.

by Anonymousreply 69December 11, 2019 10:56 PM

Okay, this blog is leaking all of Fine Line plus lyrics. It has Malibu hippy vibes. You can imagine them all sitting round a beach fire playing their guitars and clapping and de-duming along. The big production of Lights Up was unfortunately an outlier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 12, 2019 2:42 AM

R69 It's coming close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 12, 2019 2:50 AM

"The problem with the 'yacht' pics. is that this is Harry Styles and he was photographed 'making out' with Kendall jenner ( a long term friend) in full view of a pap paid for by the Kardashians for 3 days straight, knowing those pics. were being taken, they seemingly both went their seperate ways thereafter and this was exactly the point at which 1d started their 'hiatus'. Whether they ever dated or not I seriously raised an eyebrow at all those yacht pics at the time."

Exactly. It's Harry and even more so it's a Kardashian.

The only reason to have Kendall on the Late Late Show is for a ratings pull. The only thing more of a ratings draw would have been Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 72December 12, 2019 2:59 AM

R70 Thanks! It's a bit of a sin to listen to it for the first time in that quality lol (the HQ files seem to be gone). But yes, from what I've heard now (I haven't listened to all songs in full) there's definitely a beach campfire vibe. Not exactly what I expected from a song like Cherry for example. Personally I'd say you can hear influences of Paul Simon, McCartney/Ram and Harry Nilsson on a lot of tracks. Falling sounds like a 1D piano ballad to me. Fine Line is the Bon Iver track and it might be nice, but it's very repetitive. TPWK is missing, but considering the 30 second leak I've already heard, that might be for the best. It was... bad.

All in all I'm really sad to say that not a single song appeals to me right away. Maybe I'll get more into it after hearing the HQ album - I definitely want to hear She in a proper quality, because it's basically the only song, that has maybe a slight resemblance to the first album. Otherwise there's unfortunately nothing of the "dad rock" vibe of HS1, but that was to be expected, and personally I also don't hear traditional, introspective folk like for example Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez or Bob Dylan. The album might reflect Harry's actual taste in music contrary to whatever he did on HS1, but I think unfortunately it's just not be my cup of tea at all. After the singles and reviews I was somewhat prepared for that, but considering how much of an ardent fan I became after HS1 it's still very disappointing. Oh well...

by Anonymousreply 73December 12, 2019 4:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!