Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Senator: Pay Off Your Student Loans With Your 401k

Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) wants you to pay for your student loans with your 401k.

Here’s what you need to know.

Student Loans: Proposal

How would you like to pay for college or pay off student loans with pre-tax money in your retirement account? If that sounds like an attractive idea, then Paul’s new legislative proposal, the HELPER Act (Higher Education Loan Payment and Enhanced Retirement), has got you covered.

The HELPER Act would allow:

Tax-Free Money For College: The ability to withdraw (tax-free and penalty-free) up to $5,250 from your 401(k) or IRA annually to pay for college or to pay off student loan debt. Pay For Dependents: The ability to pay tuition and expenses for a dependent or a spouse. Tax-Free Employer-Sponsored Plans: Employer-sponsored student loan and tuition plans would become tax-free up to $5,250 annually. No Cap on Student Loan Interest Deduction: The legislation would remove the cap and phase out the student loan interest deduction. Create Incentive To Save For Retirement: One goal is to encourage more investment in 401k’s, which can then be used to repay student loan debt. Employees also could opt to receive employer contributions as after-tax Roth contributions (rather than pre-tax), meaning employees would not owe taxes in retirement on the employer contributions.

Paul seeks to reshape the way people save and pay for higher education, driven through tax and savings incentives. Paul notes that current student loan interest rates can be as high as 7% for graduate students and parent borrowers, which creates a financial burden. However, student loan refinancing rates have dropped to below 2%.

Paul’s proposal would enable borrowers to pay off student loans with at least some pre-tax money. Currently, borrowers pay off student loans with after-tax money.

“Instead of empowering the federal government to increase its involvement in education, which will only raise costs even higher and further lower the value of our dollars to cover them, we can empower the American people to reduce the burden of debt, realize the dreams they studied hard to achieve, and grow their retirement savings,” Paul said.

The Drawbacks

Critics of Paul’s plan likely will note, among other objections, that:

removing money from a retirement account to pay off student loan debt – or any use that is not directly related to retirement – may not be a wise financial move; many student loan borrowers cannot both save for retirement and pay off student loans, so often must choose one or the other; the annual amount is a start, but may not be sufficient to help borrowers make a meaningful impact; Student Loan Refinancing To Forgiveness

The latest student loan statistics show that more than 44 million Americans collectively owe more nearly $1.6 trillion of student loan debt. According to Make Lemonade, that makes student loan debt the second highest consumer debt category behind mortgages. Democratic presidential candidates have taken a different approach, proposing everything from simpler student loan refinancing and student loan consolidation to student loan repayment and student loan forgiveness. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT), for example, wants to forgive all $1.6 trillion of student loan debt, including both federal and private student loans.

Get the best of Forbes to your inbox with the latest insights from experts across the globe. Follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn. Check out my website or some of my other work here.

Zack Friedman

Zack Friedman is the bestselling author of the blockbuster book, The Lemonade Life: How To Fuel Success, Create Happiness, and Conquer Anything. Apple named The Lemonade…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2019 10:21 PM

What a miserable piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2019 1:41 AM

I've got a better idea: stop using students as a giant free ATM machine for billionaires.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2019 1:43 AM

Ayn Rand Paul encouraging parents to go broke by using their future retirement funds to pay for their children's exorbitant college tuition. That way they can retire broke and live their golden years in abject poverty.

Go fuck yourself Rand Paul!

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2019 1:53 AM

Man, if this isn't peak Republican Party idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2019 1:56 AM

'atta boy, Rand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2019 2:32 AM

R5, I love that billboard!

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2019 2:48 AM

That neighbor of his needs to give him another beatdown.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2019 2:53 AM

What. A. Piece. Of. Absolute. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2019 2:53 AM

Breaking: Rand Paul is Still a Piece of Shit

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2019 2:54 AM

Guarantee you there’s some personal benefit for one or more of his dark money donors.

He’s supposed to be all anti government so there’s some kind of scam in here.

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2019 3:08 AM

This might not have been a horrible idea if people still got generous defined benefit pensions in addition to their 401(k)s. (Or to have some other kind of tax-deferred account specifically for student loan payoffs.) But to take money out of what is likely most workers' only source of retirement income (outside of Social Security) after decades of encouraging people to contribute more and more to those funds to ensure a decent retirement is just plain dumb.

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2019 3:19 AM

I have a clever idea. Why doesn't the USA have a normal higher education system like all other countries. Sheesh. Keep the really rich private universities and all the publics need to go down to a 1-4k a year.

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2019 3:48 AM

Yes, R12, and hire unemployed welfare recipients to teach the classes.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2019 3:59 AM

If you have a loan outstanding, you shouldn't have a 401K

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2019 4:04 AM

Rand Paul is a stupid cunt with an ugly rug.

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2019 4:15 AM

R15 nailed it

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2019 8:22 PM

I think it would be better to forgive student loan debt if a person does not make enough to pay back the loans they needed to pay for college. In fact, I think we should forgive most student loan debt and lower the cost of tuition.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2019 8:30 PM

It was so stupid and sick to let interest be charged and accue on educational based financial assistance. Just forgive all student loan debt, lower the cost of tuition and let's start over. This financial aid system was designed by crocks and idiots.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2019 8:35 PM

Isn’t it predicted that the next financial meltdown is going to happen over people defaulting on their student loans?

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2019 9:05 PM

i side with his neighbor. What a complete fucking asshole!

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2019 9:06 PM

That's the thing though R19. You can't really "default" on student loans like you can a credit card, house, or car. They will follow you forever and they will garnish your check at the drop of a hat. So unless you are unemployed and plan on staying that way (or work under the table) then they will get their money.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2019 9:14 PM

R3, I never heard anyone say Ayn Rand Paul before...It's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2019 9:17 PM

He is an ignorant shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2019 9:23 PM

R19 that's what I have heard.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2019 9:49 PM

R15 He’s a cunt rug? He’s a Merkin?

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2019 10:28 PM

You know what would help student loan borrowers? If the government didn't make money off them and lowered the interest rates to something reasonable, putting money into the pockets of people who would spend it and generate GDP.

You know, unlike giving tax breaks to millionaires.

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2019 10:32 PM

I'm curious (in response to R26), what do others pay for their interest rate? I get offers to refinance mine often, and I'm like ... refinance to what? 0%? Mine are at 2.6%.

Are others a lot more?

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2019 10:37 PM

If you refinance your loans to reduce the interest rates, you are no longer eligible for forgiveness.

I pay 6-7% on mine.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2019 10:38 PM

Even at 6-7% it makes no sense to take out money out of your 401k. The average return is at least 7% over 10 years on the stock market. If your loans (or any loan) were 15%, then sure, but I doubt many people are in that situation.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2019 10:41 PM

They want to see old people begging in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2019 10:45 PM

That's a rug, R15?

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2019 10:48 PM

I've got around 8k in my 401k and about 40k in student loans, so thanks for nothing Rand. Additionally, student loans are absolutely subject to default, unless the collections agency that said I did lied to me. That was about eight years ago for one specific loan, so I have a suspicion Sallie Mae, Navient, et al are purposefully not defaulting as much anymore, as they know it'd be a shitshow. They'd rather keep "making money" off of interest they're betting they'll get, yet will never recieve.

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2019 11:18 PM

I didn't mean you can't default on student loans R32. You absolutely can. With a home, credit card, or car loan though, there is a point at which they can no longer go after you for payment (usually 5-6 years) after you defaulted.

No so with student loans. They can and will garnish your social security check if they can. There is no bankruptcy option and there is no statute of limitations. They will get their money in the end unless you literally drop dead.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2019 11:28 PM

If there is one thing I have learned, it’s this: I will not allow my children to go into debt over fucking college. They can find a free-ride scholarship, go to a state school or community college. Starting out your career/financial life in six-figure debt is absolutely awful.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2019 12:13 AM

^^ I am truly sorry did people who are in the situation, though. That really sucks. But we did learn something.

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2019 12:14 AM
by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2019 12:52 AM

It's college students' fault that they aren't rich. And, since they can't be bothers to take their faces out of their phones to vote, we can do anything we want,

by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2019 12:56 AM

College should be free!

by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2019 1:25 AM

Rand seems like a miserable person who wants everyone else to be as miserable as he is

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2019 1:27 AM

Why couldn't his neighbor have done the decent thing and ran over rand with his car?

by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2019 1:28 AM

I don't have an outstanding loans, due mainly to luck (thanks track & field scholarship!), but I think we should forgive current student debt and put safeguards in place so that there's not another crisis.

by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2019 1:41 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2019 9:05 PM

I think we should forgive stuent loan debt, but not rand asshole.

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2019 6:29 AM

When the fuck are people going to learn to spend their first two years of college at a community college so they will save a shitload of money? Is partying all 4 years at a university really worth all those loans that will be hanging over your head for decades?

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2019 6:42 AM

This is a very sad idea that he doesn't even realize reflects how far America has fallen - we are going to put you in debt from cradle to grave.

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2019 7:43 AM

When will people learn you need a senator that can do math? Tuition has increase, when incomes and cost of living expenses have not for the majority of Americans. Therefore, you have to lower tuition costs. Also, forgive student loan debt. Easy Math, Easy Democratic Government!

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2019 2:59 AM

Ron Paul, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul — aren't these all the same person?

by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2019 3:15 AM

R47 They’re all assholes so they might as well be.

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2019 3:29 AM

Come on Kentucky,

Get rid of this asshole and #ditchmitch.

by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2019 10:57 PM

R21 / R33. It is true they can garnish social security, but only a max of 15%.

by Anonymousreply 50December 13, 2019 11:18 PM

The United States is an oligarchy.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 51December 13, 2019 11:42 PM

"If you have a loan outstanding, you shouldn't have a 401K"

Utterly untrue, R14. You don't know that people can have, for instance, both a mortgage AND a 401K? A mortgage is an outstanding loan. Do you think people pay off ALL their outstanding loans before getting a 401K, or do you think people who have 401Ks also have things like mortgages and student loans?

The answer is the latter.

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2019 12:01 AM

[quote] but only a max of 15%

Well, that's good! I'm sure lots of seniors can live without 15% of their SS. They'd just waste it on medications and food and shelter.

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2019 12:06 AM

Why is there interest on government-backed financial assistance to go to University?

This is MADNESS. This is ASININE!

by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2019 1:02 AM

I think Rand's sexy. I'd love to run my fingers thru his hair but he refuses to mail it to me.

by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2019 1:26 AM

People end up in all this debt just to end up as a barista with a Master’s degree.

by Anonymousreply 56December 18, 2019 7:18 AM

As long as all of this loan money is available, colleges have no incentive to reduce tuition costs.

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2019 7:40 AM

That was also the plan of one of the 2020 Dems... one of the irrelevant ones, can't remember which...

by Anonymousreply 58December 18, 2019 7:44 AM

Pay off your student loans by selling you luscious teenage hair to adorn the heads of fascist closet cases. Also your prostate gland is worth a pretty penny and much sought after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 18, 2019 8:11 PM

R54 For the same reason there's interest on government-back home loans. Government is underwriting the loan, not making the loan. The money comes from the private sector. Without interest, there's no banking industry support at making loans.

Don't borrow money you can't afford - no matter what the schools tell you. They're for profit as well, especially the ones that are building booms and hire celebrity faculty. Run from those. Be sensible: go to community college for the first two years, transfer to a state school for your last two. Work to build funds to pay for your education.

Quit going into debt.

by Anonymousreply 60December 18, 2019 9:28 PM

I support Rand Paul's neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 61December 18, 2019 9:45 PM

He doesn't sound very different from most Dataloungers when it comes to this issue to be honest

by Anonymousreply 62December 18, 2019 9:47 PM

Libertarians are just like Republicans only more heartless. Which it appeasers IS possible.

by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2019 10:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!