Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has Anyone Been Watching 1996 Sense & Sensibility on TV?

You know how those classic movie premium channels at the far end of the spectrum that show the same 2 movies over & over again for a couple of months? Sense & Sensibility is in rotation now & I can’t get over what a fucking dunce Hugh Grant is in this film. He looks like someone’s given him a permanent wedgie and he can neither walk or talk coherently. “Abbada daddada ummmm umminy yyyyyyyyyes? I bbbbbrabada duh dabbidda mmmmmiss dadadadadashwooooood....”:

How would any woman look at him, especially with big balled Colonel Brandon hanging around?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 10:23 PM

This is one of my favorite films, OP. But I'll admit Hugh Grant stammers his way through this film. He does have that final eloquent scene at the end which is heart wrenching.

Colonel Brandon and Willoughby make Edward look so dull! And he's broke, too.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 8:21 PM

Grant is pretty bad in this, defaulting to FOUR WEDDINGS mannerisms. He clearly couldn't be bothered to come up with a cogent characterization.

Greg Wise is so hot in this. Good for Thompson that she snagged that hunk. Big improvement over Branagh.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 8:44 PM

I love this movie! Adore it, in spite of Grant's lazy performance and the fact that Emma Thompson is old enough to be Kate Winslet's mother, or at least she would have been during the Regency period. And they're playing sisters who are supposed to be a couple of years apart in age.

Beautiful, enjoyable, witty movie. The sort they don't make any more.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 9:08 PM

Grant is the worst, but Thompson's performance in her big crying scene sells it.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 9:14 PM

I hate to say it but Goop's version is better

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 9:28 PM

LOVE Emma Thompson’s crying at the end, R4, and LOL when Kate Winslet and their mother discreetly leave the room!

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 9:28 PM

Goop never did a film of SENSE AND SENSIBILITY. She starred in a film of EMMA, which was rather good other than a badly miscast Toni Collette as Harriet. Best part was Jeremy Northam at his most gorgeous as Mr. Knightley.

The other two EMMAs I've seen were a rather dull TV version from the same year that Goop's version appeared, this time with a weak Kate Beckinsale, and a pretty bad later TV version from 2009 with an aggressively charmless performance from Romola Garai.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 9:29 PM

The old DL prisspot queens love a good period piece, they imagine themselves being the damsel in distress, pining for their Mr Darcy to come and save them from their mothers' basement.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 9:35 PM

Thank you for condescending to give your opinion, R8.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 9:38 PM

The Paltrow "Emma" was okay, could have been better. And yes, I usually love Toni Collette, but she was miscast. Harriet Smith is supposed to be pretty, stupid, and helpless, an Amanda Seyfried type, and Collette played her as a Plain Jane. Which is all wrong, Plain Janes of that age know damn well that fairy-tale marriages aren't going to happen for them, but good-looking dim bulbs stake all their hopes on one.

"Sense and Sensibility" really was perfect, and Kate Winslet was just 20, but she really captured Marianne's spoiled, willful, pretentious, immature, open, passionate nature. In lesser hands Marianne would be unlikeable, but Winslet made my heart break for this flawed girl.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 9:39 PM

Thank you for condescending to give your opinion,

Now,I know that makes sense in your mind. Perhaps you meant 'consenting'? Typing from mothers' basement in the dark are we? And thankyou, cunt is an endearment.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 9:42 PM

I love this movie. It has enough humor to temper the sentimentality, but isn't drenched in irony the way everything is these days. And yes, Rickman and Wise are both very very hot in it.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 10:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!