Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christmas dinner

What do you bitches typically eat on Christmas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 26, 2019 5:15 PM

Turkey with all of the fixins.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 8:18 PM

We've been doing a steakhouse theme for the last few years.

Jumbo shrimp cocktail

A wedge salad with homemade bleu cheese dressing, bacon and cherry tomatoes

A filet of beef roast with a horseradish sauce and carmelized onions

Creamed spinach

Herbed garlic butter button mushrooms

Twice-baked potatoes, sort or more like loaded potato skins

Profiteroles/eclairs for dessert

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 8:24 PM

Gin soaked olives and years of regret

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 8:35 PM

Very similar to Thanksgiving (with turkey, no pumpkin pie), except with a ham.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 8:39 PM

Ham or prime rib with the appropriate sides.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 8:40 PM

I've never had turkey for Christmas, but have always seen it in movies and TV shows. Is it usually served with all of the Thanksgiving sides?

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 8:41 PM

R6 , not all the sides, but yes on stuffing/dressing. Gravy is a must.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 8:43 PM

I don't understand having the same basic celebratory meal 4 weeks after Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 8:45 PM

Chinese takeout on the years when I can’t get back to see my family.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 8:46 PM

I haven't had a Christmas dinner for years now. I'm hoping we're not home.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 8:46 PM

Prime rib this year! Maybe a couple of lasagnes.. It's a huge family, so enough to feed a big crowd.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 8:47 PM

Christmas? Dinner? Eat?

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2019 8:47 PM

[quote] I don't understand having the same basic celebratory meal 4 weeks after Thanksgiving.

Turkey is usually cheap (supermarket loss leader) right before Thanksgiving. So, people buy two turkeys. Use one turkey for Thanksgiving; keep the other in the freezer for Christmas. People like turkey enough to have it twice a year (Thanksgiving & Christmas).

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2019 8:50 PM

Eastern Europeans (esp Polish people) have Carp for Christmas Dinner. Though apparently most of them don't like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2019 8:58 PM

Oye! Turkey AGAIN?!

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2019 8:58 PM

Thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2019 9:01 PM

Everything. It’s Christmas, hun. x

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 9:15 PM

A seafood salad with shrimp , calamari and scungilli served cold with lemon, olive oil and finely chopped celery.

Baked ziti as I'm too lazy to put together a lasagne

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 9:15 PM

Spiral cut ham, scalloped potatoes, vegetable sides

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 9:18 PM

Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, salad and a cooked vegetable, and Black Forest cake for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 9:20 PM

Tylenol and my pride.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 9:20 PM

Roast pork

Mashed potatoes

Marinated artichoke, olive, mushroom, cucumber, celery, and green pepper salad

Scalloped oysters

Snow peas with grape tomatoes

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2019 9:23 PM

We don’t really sit down but friends drop by for wine and cocktails and we have meatballs and ham biscuits, cheese and crackers, vegetables and dip, chex mix and fudge, etc Definitely a throwback from my working class upbringing but a lot of people seem to stop by and enjoy the lack of formality

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 9:24 PM

We're Jewish -- every year it's the same goddamned thing. Chinese take out!

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 9:25 PM

R24, maybe mix it up this year with some Thai?

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 9:26 PM

The full Delia Smith Christmas dinner. If you haven’t heard of her, Delia is an institution in the UK. She started with cookery programmes on the BBC in the 70s, and expanded into a huge industry. Her recipes work every time if you follow them to the letter. There are lots of clips from her programmes on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2019 9:31 PM

Ambien, weed, 3 bottles of red

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2019 9:47 PM

For dessert: ricotta pie and some boozy eggnog.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 9:51 PM

r27.... I have my medical pot and ambien. Hold the wine

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2019 9:57 PM

Bitch Stew

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 10:04 PM

copious amount of expensive red wine. There is food, but it doesn't really matter now, does it?

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2019 10:09 PM

Everyone in this thread types fat.

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2019 10:47 PM

Oysters, wild boar and lots of wine.

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2019 10:49 PM

I think my sister in law does it right - she bakes a ham, and invites everybody else to contribute something to casual Christmas afternoon buffet.

The result is a crazy mixed up spread of everybody’s favorite Christmas dishes - Italian meatballs, creamed herring, taco dip, whatever ...

It’s fun, relaxed and easy

by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2019 10:49 PM

Mmmm, creamed herring taco dip.

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2019 10:53 PM

Ham, roasted potatoes, cookies, pie, some find of veg. Don’t go all out. It’s all about the presents!

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2019 10:58 PM

Chinese or Indian food.

by Anonymousreply 37December 5, 2019 10:59 PM

I'm on a diet, so I will have a salad of iceberg lettuce and spinach, 3 ounces of boiled chicken, 6 unsalted almonds, and red wine vinegar dressing. For festivity I will have sparking water in a large wine glass with a small slice of lime in it.

by Anonymousreply 38December 5, 2019 11:06 PM

R38– you forgot to say followed by three entire cheesecakes and a milkshake

by Anonymousreply 39December 5, 2019 11:09 PM

No hon @R39 those are not on the diet. And I don't like those things anyway.

by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2019 11:13 PM

Last year, it was Dim Sum and a movie for a Jewish Christma (my friend and I were both goys)

As a kid, the menu was simple: ham, french style green beans, & scalloped potatoes with lots of relishes (celery hearts stuffed with cream cheese, pearl onions, olives, and forget what all else, plus tons of cookies of different kinds afterward. Occasionally my Dad's relatives would do something bigger, with a few floirshes, like sometimes they'd have turkey & ham, with different kinds of potatoes and something exotic yet traditional like plum pudding with brandied hard sauce.

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2019 11:15 PM

Asparagus soup, osso bucco with saffron risotto & gremolata, salad, & molten lava chocolate cakes in individual ramekins for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2019 11:19 PM

Whatever my host or hostess is serving.

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2019 11:24 PM

Carp mit schnitzel!

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2019 11:36 PM

I'm excited for the cannoli!

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2019 1:09 AM

You lost me at creamed herring R34.

by Anonymousreply 46December 6, 2019 1:15 AM

Christians, naturally.

by Anonymousreply 47December 6, 2019 1:47 AM

There aren't any British DLers eating that roasted goose? Or is that not a real thing?

by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2019 2:36 AM

Fried stuff with cheese!

Mozarella sticks, jalapeno poppers, things like that. I never eat those things, so once a year, on Christmas I have a deep fried frenzy.

by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2019 2:41 AM

Chinese

by Anonymousreply 50December 6, 2019 2:48 AM

Same as Thanksgiving, except with a ham added.

by Anonymousreply 51December 6, 2019 2:57 AM

We usually have a buffet spread with attendees contributing various dishes. There's a beef or pork tenderloin, rolls, veggie, meat and cheese trays, assorted desserts, etc. In recent years I've made spinach dip to take. This year my cousin is hosting for the first time, so we may depart from tradition depending on what she wants to do.

When I was younger, Mom would bake a ham and serve it with corn, salad, and deviled eggs.

by Anonymousreply 52December 6, 2019 3:01 AM

R51 Is it not normal for people to have Turkey AND Ham for Thanksgiving and Christmas? My family always has both for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.

by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2019 3:02 AM

My big dinner is Christmas Eve, either out or home, I do a big breakfast on Christmas morning. No special dinner on Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 54December 6, 2019 3:08 AM

We are Staten Island eyetalians ... so it’s all fish for us. Those who don’t like fish get chicken parm. Dessert is ricotta cheesecake and about 500 lbs of Italian butter cookies.

by Anonymousreply 55December 6, 2019 3:53 AM

We go to my partner’s son for Christmas and he usually cooks a great dinner but it changes from year to year.

by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2019 4:02 AM

My mom typically does that whole 7 fish dish crap to appease my pop, but this year she has stated her boundaries! She wants easy-to-prepare-in-advance dishes. Good for her. Lots of lasagne and other casseroles.

by Anonymousreply 57December 6, 2019 6:43 AM

I'm alone so leftovers, frozen dinner, whatever

by Anonymousreply 58December 6, 2019 7:06 AM

Chinese Food

by Anonymousreply 59December 6, 2019 7:10 AM

I knew a lugubrious little miss who watched other people eat one, R48.

Then she died.

by Anonymousreply 60December 6, 2019 7:19 AM

R2's dinner sounds amazing to me. Too bad I'm not invited LOL. My friends and family usually meet up at different places all day Xmas Eve and Xmas. The food varies in quality and selection, but the booze is always readily available (that doesn't help me much personally as I always get stuck driving..).

by Anonymousreply 61December 6, 2019 7:42 AM

Peking duck.

by Anonymousreply 62December 6, 2019 8:21 AM

Do you eat Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

by Anonymousreply 63December 6, 2019 8:51 AM

No one wants more turkey just 4 weeks after Thanksgiving. We're still eating leftovers for God's sake. Use your imagination. There are thousands of other things you can make. My buffet will include:

Chicken Marsala

Sausage and Peppers

Spiral ham

3 pastas - pesto, a la vodka, marinara

Roasted veg

Roasted baby potatoes

Salad

by Anonymousreply 64December 6, 2019 10:09 AM

Sound gross R64 Pasta should never be on a buffet it will get mushy.

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2019 10:37 AM

Christmas Eve - Light dinner or Chinese food before opening gifts

Christmas Day - Prime Rib or Turkey (depending on who is cooking)

This year I'm in London away from family and friends. I'll be with a friend from Bulgaria, but he's Muslim. Perhaps I'll find a Chinese restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 66December 6, 2019 10:51 AM

Our emotions

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2019 10:59 AM

For Christmas Eve I do a scaled-down version of the 7 fishes:

Insalate di mare Frogs legs meuniere Either pasta with squid or linguine with clams Some kind of dessert (may be homemade gingerbread)

Sounds like these don't go together, but it works!

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2019 11:05 AM

Sorry for the poor formatting.

by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2019 11:07 AM

You eat frogs?! 🐸🤢

by Anonymousreply 70December 6, 2019 11:47 AM

R38, wishing you a Prissy Little Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 71December 6, 2019 12:42 PM

[quote]Sound gross [R64] Pasta should never be on a buffet it will get mushy.

We beg to differ

by Anonymousreply 72December 6, 2019 1:31 PM

R2, that sounds delicious.

We've been doing filet mignon for the past few years. We have lasagne to start.

For dessert...various pies. We used to also have plum pudding. It's hard to find these days.

My parents are both gone now. I still get together with my brothers and their spouses and families. It's great, but it's not the same. My Mom and Dad entertained a lot during Christmas and New Year's...mostly family and close friends. My Mom would put out a big spread, and my Dad was so very welcoming to one and all. My brothers and I each are a lot like our parents, but my parents had special qualities. I'm not trying to evoke some Golden Age or canonize them. We could argue, have disagreements, get mad, and all that. But I really had a good childhood. I'm grateful for them. And I miss my parents terribly, especially at this time of year. I loved going shopping with my Mom. And just talking to her.

Thank you, OP, for the opportunity to write this

by Anonymousreply 73December 6, 2019 1:56 PM

Pinnekjøtt

by Anonymousreply 74December 6, 2019 2:00 PM

R74, Linked is a recipe and explanation for your typical Norwegian dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 6, 2019 2:56 PM

Nigella Lawson's "White Trash Ham", cooked for three hours in high test Coca Cola. Delicious and easy.

by Anonymousreply 76December 6, 2019 5:35 PM

Thank you for making my point R72. Mac and cheese is always too soft on the buffet and baked Ziti is awful and the longer it sits the worse it gets.

by Anonymousreply 77December 6, 2019 7:18 PM

This cranberry curd pie will find its way on the table at some point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 6, 2019 9:05 PM

Instead of baked ziti or mac and cheese, consider this dish! It's very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 6, 2019 9:25 PM

R76 I love how people didn’t seem to know about that, before Nigella. Coca Cola ham has been a staple in the South for decades. If you want to make it, however, you need to buy a bottle of Mexican Coke, because it is still made with actual sugar.

by Anonymousreply 80December 6, 2019 9:25 PM

I'm thinking about making lasagna this year, along with the usual baked ham. Definitely some sort of garlic bread/sticks/knots to go along with it. Not sure about the other sides yet, probably green bean almondine at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 81December 6, 2019 9:53 PM

R81, IMO lasagna (or lasagne) is perfect for Christmas or Christmas Eve.

by Anonymousreply 82December 6, 2019 10:03 PM

Roast beef and twice-baked potatoes. It’s been our menu for years and never disappoints.

by Anonymousreply 83December 6, 2019 10:18 PM

I also vote for lasagna. And yes bitches my recipe INCLUDES cottage cheese (along with ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan)! I know, the horrors!

by Anonymousreply 84December 7, 2019 12:28 AM

Sorry r84 there is never room in lasagna for cottage cheese (or breakfast sausage).

by Anonymousreply 85December 7, 2019 1:59 AM

you lost me at cottage cheese.

by Anonymousreply 86December 7, 2019 2:29 AM

Don't ask.

by Anonymousreply 87December 7, 2019 2:52 AM

Rockefeller Oysters

by Anonymousreply 88December 7, 2019 2:48 PM

You can't eat meat on Christmas eve because the virgin pops the kid out on Christmas day.

It was in a manger so probably lots of donkey and cow shit. Not to mention the "virgin's" cunt juice, broken hymen and placenta.

Go for seafood.

by Anonymousreply 89December 7, 2019 4:51 PM

It is traditional, in the South, to have breakfast for dinner on Christmas Eve and then a big regular meal on Christmas Day.

by Anonymousreply 90December 7, 2019 4:59 PM

I'd like some of what R89's on.

by Anonymousreply 91December 7, 2019 5:53 PM

Not in this part of the South it isn't, R90.

by Anonymousreply 92December 7, 2019 7:28 PM

R92 Maybe, it is just my part of the South. But, most families I know gather on Christmas Eve, for grits, french toast, bacon, etc... before heading to church.

by Anonymousreply 93December 8, 2019 12:08 AM

lived in the south GA for 28 years, never heard of this. christmas eve for us non catholics was just a normal meal. next day was the feast

by Anonymousreply 94December 8, 2019 12:33 AM

R94 SC here, maybe it is a Carolina thing. Breakfast on Christmas Eve, then a feast on Christmas Day.

by Anonymousreply 95December 8, 2019 12:38 AM

Whatever's on the menu at Denny's.

by Anonymousreply 96December 8, 2019 12:41 AM

If I can’t have spaghetti, NO ONE’s having spaghetti!

by Anonymousreply 97December 8, 2019 1:02 AM

Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberries, carrots with dill, green beans with slivered almonds, fried mushrooms, cabbage rolls, nalysnyky (a Ukrainian rolled pancake with cottage cheese), mashed turnips, salad. My mother makes retro desserts-cherries with marshmallows and whipping cream over graham crackers, and the same dessert with pineapple. They are both similar to pineapple/cherry delight, but not exactly the same.

by Anonymousreply 98December 8, 2019 1:11 AM

My favorite Thai restaurant is closed Christmas eve and Christmas day. Selfish bastards.

by Anonymousreply 99December 8, 2019 1:29 AM

My family has done an appetizer potluck on Christmas Eve for decades. When my late gram was still hosting she would make a turkey breast and a ham for sandwiches "because the boys like that". Now that I'm hosting I make either a whole tenderloin or a boneless rib roast to carve up for those sandwiches plus a giant batch of shrimp cocktail. I figure we just had turkey a few weeks ago, and as my younger brother puts it "we're not really ham people". The rest of the family is great about bringing really good appetizers and desserts so there is always an impressive spread. We don't do much on Christmas day anymore. A big breakfast for the out of town folks that stayed overnight before they head for their next stop and then, later, leftovers and a movie.

by Anonymousreply 100December 8, 2019 1:36 AM

[quote] "we're not really ham people".

Who doesn't like ham? Except for people with religious prohibitions, or non-meat eaters.

by Anonymousreply 101December 8, 2019 1:40 AM

I try to avoid ham unless my mom baked it, or it's in a club sandwich. Most people like it far less done that we do, so the kind you get at restaurants or over at friends' houses is very off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 102December 8, 2019 2:57 AM

R102 You'd like mine. I prefer a bone in butt or shank portion, with the skin on. And, I cook it long enough for the skin to get crispy. I usually slow roast it over night, in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 103December 8, 2019 3:05 AM

I don't dislike all ham R101, but what you're usually served is unpleasantly wet, spongy and tastes mainly of salt, burnt sugar and artificial smoke. Prosciutto, Iberica and American "country" ham are all quite delicious - but that's not what you're going to be served at aunt Fran's Christmas luncheon. You're going to get an antibiotic & nitrite laden slice of overly salted meat that tastes only vaguely of real pork.

by Anonymousreply 104December 8, 2019 3:22 AM

R104 I guess it depends, my family always has "country" ham. Nothing like what you describe.

by Anonymousreply 105December 8, 2019 3:28 AM

We had ham at Christmas in every form, place, moment and size all through my childhood--until I managed to grow older, move out on my own, and escape my former ham reality. Not anymore, no thanks!

by Anonymousreply 106December 8, 2019 5:28 AM

I usually cook a goose with chestnut stuffing and make a plum pudding with hard sauce.

by Anonymousreply 107December 8, 2019 5:29 AM

Our Nochebuena (Christmas Eve) dinner usually consists of:

turkey, ham, embutido or empanadas, menudo or afritada, pancit or paella, puto and kutsinta, leche flan.

For Christmas Day dinner we eat leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 108December 8, 2019 5:50 AM

green chile stew and Navajo fry bread

by Anonymousreply 109December 8, 2019 5:53 AM

Here in Norway we celebrate the 24th, not the 25th. We have our big Christmas Dinner in the evening, around 4 or 5 pm, then we open the presents after dinner. This all happens on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is a holy day and a public holiday, but we don't really celebrate it. All the celebrations happen on the 24, including going to church. It's the same in all of Scandinavia, the 24th is the big day here.

by Anonymousreply 110December 8, 2019 8:29 AM

A dick.

by Anonymousreply 111December 8, 2019 9:01 AM

„Shepherd‘s Pie a la Dutchie“, for which I replace the lamb with ground beef and I’ll add lots of “earthy” ingredients like mushrooms, beetroot and a hint of truffle.

by Anonymousreply 112December 8, 2019 9:13 AM

In my family, Christmas Eve was the large meal and gathering. Turkey and ham, riced potatoes and gravy, winter squash, green beans, dressing. Then exchange gifts.

Christmas morning was reserved for opening gifts delivered by Santa. Leftovers from the night before or visit other family members.

by Anonymousreply 113December 8, 2019 9:32 AM

R112 If your replace the lamb with beef it becomes Cottage Pie, that's the only real difference between them.

by Anonymousreply 114December 8, 2019 11:30 AM

Roast beef/prime rib, asparagus, scalloped potatoes. I like to make a salad with arugula, onions and blood orange to offset the savory of everything else.

When I was growing up, we’d have ham instead of beef, and the potatoes were mashed. Sometimes Brussels sprouts, too.

by Anonymousreply 115December 8, 2019 11:30 AM

"You'd like mine. I prefer a bone in butt or shank portion..."

he-he-he

He said he prefers a "bone in butt"!!!

by Anonymousreply 116December 8, 2019 1:13 PM

R114 - learnt something new there. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 117December 8, 2019 1:26 PM

R108, Picture, description and recipe for puto kutsinto. Most recipes include lye (?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 8, 2019 3:19 PM

It's just the two of us. Christmas eve we will go to my cousins, and he will have tons of Portuguese food which I love. Christmas day I will make ribeye's on the grill, baked potatoes, salad, roasted carrots with carrot top pesto (a favorite), rolls and a nice bottle of wine.

by Anonymousreply 119December 8, 2019 3:24 PM

R118, lye water. It's used in a lot of Asian recipes and in making pretzels and bagels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 8, 2019 3:34 PM

R120, Thank you. Recipe says it's composed of baking soda and water.

by Anonymousreply 121December 8, 2019 3:49 PM

R119, Pesto made from carrot tops, a new way to use "food" normally thrown in the garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 8, 2019 3:50 PM

Here are the rules in my family:

Easter - Lamb and Country Ham

Thanksgiving - Turkey and Sweet Ham

Christmas - Prime Rib

by Anonymousreply 123December 8, 2019 3:52 PM

"Country ham" and prosciutto couldn't be more different. "Country ham" has way too much salt and is often inedible. Prosciutto isn't meant to be a main dish.A regular ham cooked with cloves and a nice glaze is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 124December 8, 2019 4:07 PM

R124 There are many different styles of "country ham." I don't care for the very salty style ones. But, the Smithfield type of ham, isn't too salty and is classified as a style of "country ham."

by Anonymousreply 125December 8, 2019 4:09 PM

That does sound great, R103. As I recall, Mom braises hers at low temp for 5+ hours with Dr. Pepper serving as the source of moisture and sugar glaze.

by Anonymousreply 126December 8, 2019 8:06 PM

R126 Same as mine, except I use Mexican Coke instead of Dr. Pepper.

by Anonymousreply 127December 8, 2019 10:28 PM

Whatever happens to be in the vending machines at the bathhouse.

by Anonymousreply 128December 9, 2019 12:55 AM

Not saying country ham and prosciutto are anything alike R124, just that they are both delicious - and are rarely the main course. To me, ham is much like bacon - a great component but not a great centerpiece. It's also much more difficult to source antibiotic free and pasture raised (or at least "humanely raised") pork than it is to do the same for poultry or beef. I can buy said humanely raised, antibiotic free beef and poultry from a myriad of online sources and can even find it at the better local supermarkets. Try doing that with any pork, not just ham, and it's much more difficult and disproportionately costly.

by Anonymousreply 129December 9, 2019 1:07 AM

We celebrate on Christmas Eve. We have a boiled shrimp and crab feast

by Anonymousreply 130December 9, 2019 1:38 AM

^That sounds messy.

by Anonymousreply 131December 9, 2019 8:54 AM

The shrimp is already peeled and the crab is already cracked

by Anonymousreply 132December 12, 2019 12:50 AM

Ass.

by Anonymousreply 133December 12, 2019 12:56 AM

I cook up a small turkey breast in the convection oven. I make small sides and enjoy. I love the peace and quiet (hey, I'm an introvert) of being left the hell alone.

by Anonymousreply 134December 12, 2019 1:53 AM

prime rib, mashed potatoes and wedge salad. Also, since my mother in-law is coming she's making lasagna and shepards pie.

by Anonymousreply 135December 12, 2019 1:57 AM

Why are people serving asparagus on Christmas?

Do they all live in Australia?

Asparagus is a spring vegetable - serve something seasonal.

by Anonymousreply 136December 12, 2019 3:24 AM

We're doing an Italian feast this Christmas Eve. We'll start off with an antipasto board, and then have lasagna, chickens parmigiana and piccata, meatballs, pasta, caprese salad, and homemade pizzas. And lots and lots of red wine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137December 12, 2019 3:38 AM

Oyster stew on Christmas Eve.

by Anonymousreply 138December 12, 2019 3:45 AM

I’m having kale salad with cumquat dressing, and 3 proteins, Amazon Prime rib, baked ham, cum basted lamb, Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and a lemon turd pie. 🥧

by Anonymousreply 139December 12, 2019 3:59 AM

R136 They grow Asparagus and other vegetables and fruits year round in most countries now (poly tunnels etc), otherwise we'd only have tomatoes for 8 weeks in summer.

by Anonymousreply 140December 12, 2019 10:41 PM

Sauerbraten, potato balls, red cabbage, turnips, and ancillary items. Yum! Oh, and tums. Lots of tums.

by Anonymousreply 141December 12, 2019 10:48 PM

I meant to add that the surplus of vegetables grown for December/Christmas is so large in the UK that nothing (carrots, sprouts, turnips etc) costs more than 30p (40c) a pound at this time of year, potato's are less than half that. Frequently they even give all of them away free.

by Anonymousreply 142December 12, 2019 10:58 PM

Pussy

by Anonymousreply 143December 12, 2019 11:05 PM

Ours is usually pretty Thanksgiving-y.

Growing up, we had a Christmas Eve party, with family and friends, and there would always be a buffet of some kind with Pepperidge Farm Party Rye bread, a ham or beef tenderloin, and lots of appetizery things, with lots of drinks for the grown ups. It was a blast. On Christmas Day we always went to my grandmother's and had a huge family feast with ham, turkey, dressing, and a hundred other things. No one got hungry at Christmas in our family.

by Anonymousreply 144December 12, 2019 11:22 PM

R144, sounds like my family.

We also had friends coming and going throughout the two days. When we had kids, we would have one of the friends put on a Santa suit and excite the kiddies. No Christmas moose visit, though.

by Anonymousreply 145December 13, 2019 9:48 PM

granny's eggnog...whipped whites...vanilla ice cream ...nutmeg and bourbon

only day of the year granny got tipsy, but she did have the medicine cabinet full of valium.

by Anonymousreply 146December 13, 2019 10:35 PM

Oyster stew, duck, spiral ham, Brussel Sprouts, roast potatoes, plum pudding, mince pies and lots of egg nog.

by Anonymousreply 147December 13, 2019 11:06 PM

In Australia, so we have a cold Christmas lunch: seafood, ham and salads.

by Anonymousreply 148December 13, 2019 11:47 PM

Lot's of vegetables and sometimes tofurkey but it's so processed I try not to eat it every year. I go to my parents house and they have always been very accepting of my vegetarianism. The rest of my family eats turkey but not me. My mom has always made a ton of different vegetables at Christmas including my favourite mashed potatoes so it wasn't a huge deal when I stopped eating meat. We also have vegetarian stuffing and a vegetarian gravy or cheese sauce along with the turkey one.

by Anonymousreply 149December 13, 2019 11:54 PM

R136, I SAID that sometimes we have Brussels sprouts.

But we can get asparagus in December, which I do appreciate. I also eat strawberries in December.

by Anonymousreply 150December 15, 2019 1:38 AM

You are going to hell, R150.

Alice Waters told me so.

by Anonymousreply 151December 15, 2019 4:44 AM

Martini olives and Xanax

by Anonymousreply 152December 15, 2019 4:58 AM

[quote] We're doing an Italian feast this Christmas Eve. We'll start off with an antipasto board, and then have lasagna, chickens parmigiana and piccata, meatballs, pasta, caprese salad, and homemade pizzas. And lots and lots of red wine.

I thought Italian Christmas eve was the Feast of the Seven Fishes with seven different seafood dishes? Your dinner sounds good, though.

by Anonymousreply 153December 15, 2019 6:27 AM

I don't cook, because the ability-to-prepare-a-meal gene seems to be missing in me. However, my partner is an awesome cook, so every Christmas we pack up our gear and head to his mother's house, where he prepares a feast for us. His one rule is stay out of my kitchen, because he prefers to work alone. Every year is slightly different. Last year it was roast turkey, this year I understand it will be roast beef, unless he changes his mind. His side dishes are creative and delicious. He can even make brussel sprouts taste good, and that's saying a lot, as far as I'm concerned. Even when he prepares a simple meal, it's got pizazz. While he's doing his thing, his mom and I reminisce, play the piano, sing Christmas songs, etc. A good time is had by all.

by Anonymousreply 154December 15, 2019 8:29 AM

I have to make a small christmas dinner this year. Now, I am regretting it. Some things I prefer to use are already stocked out of 2 stores. But, I have to do it and now have to make adjustments. I am really too tired for problems.

by Anonymousreply 155December 24, 2019 5:59 AM

My neighbor’s Dad.

by Anonymousreply 156December 24, 2019 6:12 AM

I'm always amazed at some of you folks with your family traditions for Christmas.

My mother hated cooking, and being a hostess, but we would have over our only relatives within 200 miles: my father's aunt and her unpleasant alcoholic husband.

by Anonymousreply 157December 24, 2019 3:24 PM

Prime rib

Green beans almondine

Baked potatoes

Cherry pie and egg nog

by Anonymousreply 158December 24, 2019 8:17 PM

Dry crusts and bitter tears.

by Anonymousreply 159December 24, 2019 8:42 PM

i fucked up the stuffing/dressing, WHY?!?!? Though, the turkey and other sides were good. I am getting drunk now. It's over and the dishes are cleaned. Yay me!

Merry Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 160December 26, 2019 1:09 AM

I baked my butt off today because it’s fun and relaxing even though it’s just me. I made pepper steak and grilled Brussels Sprouts for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 161December 26, 2019 1:25 AM

R153, Italian - American here, not all families do that, particularly when Lent is coming up shortly thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 162December 26, 2019 4:46 AM

My husband is Italian, so we do the seven fishes on Christmas Eve with his father, brother, sister-in-law and niece.

Christmas Day is just with his father, but I went all out and made Beef Wellington with Bearnaise sauce, Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and baked potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 163December 26, 2019 5:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!