Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barneys New York Closing

Proof that New York is no longer relevant. I bet Simon Doonan and Jonathan Adler are feeling confused. Before you say something about brick and mortar stores closing everywhere, remember that brick and mortar department stores are known as icons of New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2019 8:52 AM

Bye |Helicia

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 1:23 PM

We've been talking about this for months, OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 1:24 PM

I don’t spend my life on here, oops. ^

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 1:26 PM

Whether or not department stores are “known as icons of New York,” poor sales will kill them. The Macy’s parade and Miracle on 34th Street are lovely relics, but they don’t keep a capitalistic enterprise financially solvent.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 1:27 PM

Even after bankruptcy, another business or businesses could come in and buy them. I guess that won't happen here. I wonder if Macy's would be saved by being bought if it ever came to that? Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 2:35 PM

Macy’s and all the other department stores are not national institutions. They’re retail outlets that branded themselves cleverly as “iconic.” They’re just as susceptible to the damages caused by Amazon to businesses as any mom-and-pop shop.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 2:38 PM

[quote]remember that brick and mortar department stores are known as icons of New York.

Sure, said Bonwit Teller, Gimbles, Alexanders...

Barneys had issues the second it open its second store. It became a relic that sold overpriced crap that people no longer wanted.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 2:49 PM

R3 it's alright that you made such a critical error in judgement and apparently don't know how to use the search function, which would hardly require you to "spend your life on here". Or it could just be laziness on your part.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 4:42 PM

r8=someone who spends her life here.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 5:10 PM

[quote] Before you say something about brick and mortar stores closing everywhere, remember that brick and mortar department stores are known as icons of New York.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 5:23 PM

but where is Jack McFarland going to work at Christmas? or find another Patrick Dempsey for Will?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 5:29 PM

Walked by Madison Avenue store last night and looked through ground floor windows as place was closed for night. Still a remarkable amount of stuff in there, at least from what could be seen. Balmain fanny bags at $300 ? No I don't think so.... Could see some other leather goods (YSL, Balmain, etc...) were marked down but nothing smallest handbag was < $300.

Don't see how that place is going to be closed right after Christmas; unless they dramatically lower prices to move merchandise. Am wondering if on some of goods contractual agreements or something prevents say certain designer merchandise from being sold at give away prices.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2019 8:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!