Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can white women voice their opinions on black women's hair?

Or is it best not to?

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2019 5:26 AM

It's best not to. Seriously. Back when I first started dating my BF (black) back in the 80s, his (female) roommate left a hotcomb on the kitchen table. I had no idea what it was, and asked. It didn't go over well, I'm afraid I'm going to be FFed to oblivion for even replying, but I at least have a little background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 3:23 AM

OP, what a great question for a forum that is 99.9%white.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 3:25 AM

Never voice your opinion on fashion choices that have already been paid for! That's a general rule!

And if someone asks your opinion on whether to pay money for some fashion choice, confine your voiced opinions to whether or not it's flattering, not whether it's beautiful or in good taste.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 3:27 AM

DO NOT VOICE YOUR OPINION ON A BLACK WOMAN'S HAIR UNLESS YOU CALL IT HER "CROWN"!

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 3:55 AM

Would it have killed you to have at least posted a picture or link OP? Would it? I mean would that have really been so hard? Would it? Why don’t you try to think more of others next time before you post? What's your problem? I mean really, what's your damn problem?

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 4:13 AM

Why do you think your opinion is necessary, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 4:16 AM

When they sport 10 lb of rags attached to their stressed and balding scalp, it's time for an intervention.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 4:39 AM

Perhaps not, but when I was young and starting my hairdressing career, I worked in a black salon in the Maryland suburbs and did tons of chemical work, cuts, etc. It was one of those serendipitous situations that taught me a lot--I loved what I was doing & my clientele loved me--BIG tips, holiday dinners--the women treated me like family (White, gay male, lived in Bethesda). Eventually I was transferred to a white shop in the chain, which was a different world . . . I will never forget those women and what they taught me and what I shared with them.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 4:53 AM

I forgot to add that I doubt very seriously that it could happen today, in our ultra-PC/tense climate . . .

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 4:56 AM

I don't know if it's politically correct or not, but I compliment many women of color on their hairstyles, all the time at work. I love the range and variations black women often choose, including extremely close cuts,. I secretly envy the flair it takes wear the range of styles so well. I can't even braid my hair evenly, but at least it looks OK up in a twist. Otherwise, it's "meh".

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 5:04 AM

According to various memes and inspirational quotes appearing in my social medias, yes. White women can do anything! (Except not get raped all the time or paid as much as men).

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 5:12 AM

OP, this is the 3rd thread with this title today. Why didn’t you search for duplicate threads? Would it have killed you?

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2019 5:12 AM

Not until after the election, OP.

I get first dibs for your stuff.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2019 5:14 AM

My black friends have beautiful hairless bodies and afros. I envy them.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2019 5:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2019 5:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!