Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever received a car for Christmas?

Have you ever GIVEN a car for Christmas?

Yeah, me neither.

So why are there so many fucking car commercials (Mercedes, AUDI, BMW, Lexus) advertising people giving away cars for Christmas, like they were candy canes?

That's just bullshit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2019 5:06 PM

Have you met rich people?

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 11:40 PM

The people in these ads do not seem particularly wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 11:44 PM

They're trying to get rid of '19 inventory to make room for '20.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 11:48 PM

A Lexus?? You gave me a LEXUS?? Why don’t you just spit in my face, Daddy? While you’re murdering my soul AND my reputation, why not just shoot me in the head and be done with it! Go ahead, shoot, daddy! SHOOT!

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 11:51 PM

Yes. Big mistake.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 11:52 PM

Yeah, I have. Both given and gaveth. OP needs to run in better circles.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 11:55 PM

Yes, I have. And on more than one occasion. I think it was around ages 5 through 9. "Varoooom!"

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 12:06 AM

And I really like the one where the guy buys HIS AND HER cars for Christmas. And he's what, about 28? Vomit.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 12:17 AM

Not directly, but the first Christmas I moved out of state and away from my parents they paid off my car loan for Christmas. I had about a year's worth of payments left on it. It was a big help, as I didn't have shit for money.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 12:21 AM

I bought my mother a car for Christmas. Nothing fancy, just a used Honda. She loves it.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 12:26 AM

You bought her used?!? 🤢

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 12:32 AM

I didn’t get one for Christmas, but I did get one as a ‘surprise’ for my birthday. Backstory: partner and I had a small business in Palm Springs years ago. We were by no means wealthy, but did alright. The business bought me a used Nissan 300 ZX and I loved that car. It had all the bells and whistles for that time. I had the car about 2 years and it was still low mileage. Anyway I was going to San Diego for the weekend and my partner asked me to take his car because he wanted to get the Nissan tuned up. I have a great time in SD and when I get home I punch the garage door opener and sitting there is a Nissan Maxima with a blue ribbon on it. I ask my partner, “where’s my ZX?” He says, “I traded it in for this Maxima! Are you surprised?” I was fucking livid! I didn’t want a four door Maxima. I wanted my ZX back. I was literally in shock. This wasn’t a surprise, it was a nightmare. I didn’t need or want a sedan. I wanted my sports car back. My ZX was history and I had the Maxima for a year and then gave it to my partner. He never did anything like that again (he knew I was really unhappy) . To this day I have an aversion to any type of surprise on my birthday.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2019 12:37 AM

Me, no. My partner’s Wall Street cousin gave his daughter a brand new Porsche 911 for her 17th birthday this summer. Such is life on the materialistic wasteland called Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2019 12:41 AM

I was always curious about the logistics. Where do you hide the car if you don't have relatives or friends nearby? And if they're not in walking distance, coordinating them to come get you and interrupt their Christmas morning, drive you back to their house for you to drive the car home and then sneak back into the house with the hopes your recipient is not up yet or looking out the window is a bit overwhelming. Seems like it falls in the same category as a threesome and is something to be fantasized about and not experienced.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2019 12:47 AM

[quote] And I really like the one where the guy buys HIS AND HER cars for Christmas.

The wife is such a cunt! Her “I love it” as she stakes her claim on the HIS car makes me want to slap the shit out of her. Poor pussy whipped husband!

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2019 2:53 AM

Not for Christmas but I did get one for high school graduation. It was a used Buick Special convertible that my father acquired and fixed up for me. He was a car guy, knew everything about cars. It was a great little car, I loved to drive it with the roof down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2019 3:02 AM

Sugar daddies need to buy their Instagays a 2020 model this year.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 3:07 AM

If you have a less well-off sugar daddy, a used BMW will suffice. Just not "too" used.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 3:10 AM

R11, come down off your thrown, R10 did well for his mother. Well done, r10. Ignore r11, he’s still upset his copper buttons weren’t perfectly polished by the help.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 3:24 AM

R11 had the maid fired because she looked him in the eye. He was 8.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 3:33 AM

I've known quite a few people, including teenagers, who received cars as gifts. It's not that big of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 3:36 AM

R12. Hopefully you have matured now to the point that your behaviour then embarrasses you.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2019 3:38 AM

Actually, yes. But it was a 10 year old used car, however it was in perfect, like new condition and a good car. I still have it.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 3:38 AM

"And I really like the one where the guy buys HIS AND HER cars for Christmas. The wife is such a cunt! Her “I love it” as she stakes her claim on the HIS car makes me want to slap the shit out of her. Poor pussy whipped husband!"

That was my exact reaction, too. Damn, I want to slap the shit out of her.

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 4:02 AM

A college friend gave me his car. He knew I was was on a budget but I was always very generous feeding friends and boozing them up at my apartment. He's from a billionaire family. He's straight and we weren't lovers. Class.

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 4:10 AM

Bought for my mother - Honda Accord. While others sit and wait for an inheritance, I have had to pay for her since I was 25. Fuck capitalism,

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2019 4:26 AM

I prefer the commercial from state farm where the parents give beige betty to the son as a hand-me-down from the sister and he bitches about it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2019 4:30 AM

R27 good one! Just about any teenager would be happy to get just about any vehicle to have freedom. When I was that age, my transportation was a new Schwinn LeTour. A druggie stole it. I miss it. Now nobody can get a real Schwinn made in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 4:35 AM

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2019 4:36 AM

No, but an ex of mine bought me a car when we were dating. I didn't ask for it or want him to, but he insisted. Then, he tried to use it in order to control me (holding it over my head while telling me what to do, like to go to church with him or to not talk to my friends). Absurd. I dumped him and sold the car.

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 7:32 AM

Nobody ever bought me a car.

The only way someone will give me a car, is if I win it on a game show.

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2019 1:43 PM

Exactly, R8!!!

That's what particularly annoys me about that commercial.

Both of the actors are in their 20's, and he can afford to buy his and her trucks for them, AND they live in a McMansion.

WTF??

This is the stupid commercial that R8, R15 and R24 are talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2019 1:46 PM

R8, not to mention he seems gay as a goose.

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2019 1:48 PM

Their house is worse than a McMansion. It's a soulless corporate campus-type building.

by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2019 1:50 PM

That commercial is as bad, if not worse than the anorexic girl losing 8 pounds in the Peloton commercial.

Both are utterly ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2019 1:52 PM

Does this count?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2019 1:55 PM

Where do they find those giant bows?

by Anonymousreply 37December 5, 2019 1:57 PM

I love the Mercedes brand but this commercial was awful. A child blackmails Santa? And Santa rides a Benz no Rudolf?

by Anonymousreply 38December 5, 2019 4:41 PM

If that couple is already married and established and presumably know each other, wouldn't the pussy-whipped idiot have known she doesn't like red???

by Anonymousreply 39December 5, 2019 7:14 PM

I HATE the yearly Lexus xmas commercials!

by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2019 7:18 PM

I got a Barbie Dream Camper once. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2019 7:30 PM

On my 16th birthday, I was given a set of keys. We weren't rich, but it wasn't unthinkable that my parents might buy a beater car for under a thousand bucks. Excitedly I ran outside, and there was a fucking toy car in the driveway. Everyone had a big laugh, but I still feel hurt and angry when I think of it. Pranks like that were very uncharacteristic for my family, I still don't know why they did it.

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2019 7:30 PM

My mother did humiliating things like that to me...that was cruel of them r42

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2019 7:32 PM

Rofl at you R42!!!!

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

Boy, are you a loser.

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2019 7:32 PM

Hate to rub salt in R42's wound, but my parents actually did the toy car thing on my birthday and then took me to a dealership. When I was 18.

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2019 4:33 PM

A woman wanted a car for Christmas, she hinted by telling hubby it should go from Zero to 100 in five seconds. He gave her a scale.

by Anonymousreply 46December 6, 2019 4:39 PM

I’ve done both. I bought myself a car around Christmastime.

by Anonymousreply 47December 6, 2019 4:46 PM

R47 so did I, but it was a necessity, so I didn't consider it a gift or get overly excited. I would have if someone would've given it to me!

by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2019 5:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!