Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How much rice to cook?

DL cooks, help!

I want to cook a pan of rice which will feed about 12 people. How much uncooked rice would you recommend?

Any cooking recommendations for just plain rice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 1:40 AM

There have already been several threads on this OP. Would it have killed you to have done a search first before you posted this? I mean really? What’s wrong with having a little consideration for others and doing a search first? Would it really have been that hard? Would it? Are you going to be able to give us an honest answer to this? Are you?

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 11:30 PM

Two grains per person is the general rule.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 11:32 PM

Why would you cook rice for 12 people? Nobody eats rice.

I'd serve mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes. Not rice.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 11:33 PM

Rice is just the base for something else.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 11:35 PM

12 cups of cooked rice as part of the main dish. 6 cups of cooked rice as a side dish. Plus 50% just to be safe.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 11:36 PM

[quote]Nobody eats rice.

It's the most eaten food in the world.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 11:36 PM

[quote] It's the most eaten food in the world

Not in America, dear.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2019 11:39 PM

R7, have you been to Chipotle?

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2019 11:40 PM

I would say three cups of uncooked rice is enough for that amount of people. Follow your basic rice-to-water ratio to cook.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 11:42 PM

It depends. Are you cooking for 12 football players or ballet dancers?

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 11:49 PM

I think we've become so accustomed to basmati rice that we've forgotten how really wonderful old-fashioned long-grain rice can be. In Julia Child's cookbooks, she often recommends it as a side dish to an otherwise rather rich or complicated entree. I grew up eating it, and I still love it. I agree with R9: that sounds like the correct amount. Remember, if you have any left over, you can make fried rice with it the next day. Also, that's rather a large amount of rice, so you may want to consider making it in the oven. Getting the water boiling first, then putting the boiling water and the rice together in a large Pyrex dish really makes wonderful rice. It's actually one of those Southern American staples that I really enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 11:52 PM

what are you serving with it?

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 11:52 PM

R11, I love plain old long-grain rice, too. More or less given it up because I’m eating keto, but once in a while, I’ll have a very small portion drowning in Kerrygold. It’s so good.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 11:55 PM

1/2 cup of uncooked rice per person, at least that’s what I do.

If I’m very hungry I can finish 1 cup of uncooked rice all by myself. I prefer rice over pasta or potatoes. And before you ask, I’m skinny.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2019 11:56 PM

Somewhere very much in the middle of that, R10.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2019 11:58 PM

A curry dish, R12. Before some of you judge, it's good!

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2019 11:59 PM

Buy it already made from a restaurant you cheap whore.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 12:12 AM

I love rice (except polished ,white American rice)

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 12:17 AM

As far as arsenic levels, basmati from California is your best bet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 12:20 AM

[quote] what are you serving with it?

Serving WITH it?! Do you people live in paradise?!?

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 12:21 AM

439 grains per serving.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 12:22 AM

R19, But arsenic can be used to improve one's complexion!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2019 12:48 AM

OP, big rice fan here ..... a cup of uncooked rice will yield three cups of cooked rice. So figure 4 cups uncooked rice for 1/3 cup cooked per person ... as someone upthread said a half cup rice each, so make 6 cups uncooked. I've always done one cup rice, two cups water .... always twice as much water as rice. Bring water to boil, stir in rice, take off heat and let sit covered 20 minutes. Perfection.

I've always played with rice ... quick and easy. I've heavily buttered a Pyrex baking dish, added a 1/4 cup of rice to stick all sides and bottom, lay on chicken breasts and cover all with a condensed soup of your choice. Bake about half an hour. Always works. Add leftover cooked rice to soup. Make rice pudding of many a happy childhood

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 12:51 AM

[quote] I've always done one cup rice, two cups water .... always twice as much water as rice.

What? Are you nuts? It says right on the box: EQUAL amount of rice and water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 1:38 AM

R24, that’s minute rice. For real rice the 2 to 1 ratio is correct.

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 1:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!