Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are there any American DL-ers who have left the U.S. to live in Canada?

How do you like it? Most Americans who leave for Canada never look back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2019 7:52 AM

There have already been several threads on this OP. Would it have killed you to have done a search first before you posted this? I mean really? What’s wrong with having a little consideration for others and doing a search first? Would it really have been that hard? Would it? Are you going to be able to give us an honest answer to this? Are you?

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 11:02 PM

R1 You're right. I should have researched first.

Right now I am wishing so hard that DL allowed us to delete threads and I am hoping so hard that everyone just ignores this.

I'm sorry R1. My bad. My very, very bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 11:09 PM

Can you post the old threads please? Someone NICE?

I don't give a shit what people think of me. Oh my! An extra post on the matter! How ever can we go on about our lives! I daresay what clutter! Stop the internet pollution!

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 11:14 PM

R3 Is this you R1?

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 11:27 PM

People in Canada would never be as rude as R1.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 11:27 PM

Most people aren’t interested in moving to a frozen wasteland.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 11:32 PM

Wasteland of frozen greatness R6.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2019 11:37 PM

I’m interested in your thread, OP, so I’ll be the one to tell you that you’ve been played by r1. There is Iikely not another thread on this topic, r1 just goosed you.

That being the case, buck up, man! Have some dignity.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2019 11:39 PM

R8 I believe you are right. R1 just posted the exact same answer in the "Why Was Tootie Named Tootie" thread.

You're right R8, I caved too quickly.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 11:42 PM

I left for Europe. Not coming back until it is destroyed and rethought.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 11:46 PM

I feel like living in Canada would be like having nothing to drink except water.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 11:51 PM

R10 Left where for Europe? The U.S. or Canada?

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 11:54 PM

R11 If drink too much water and get sick at least you could get medical help.

I think their healthcare costs are lower because they don't have any mass shooters. Their emergency rooms are nice and slow.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 11:59 PM

Me. I left August 31. I love it. No more anxiety, every day is beautiful. My health insurance premiums go to zero in January, that makes up for the very high car insurance.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2019 12:01 AM

All those hockey butts. Beauty, eh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2019 12:02 AM

Wish I had a special job skill to put on my visa application R14.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2019 12:03 AM

"The name 'Canada' likely comes from the Huron-Iroquois word 'kanata,' meaning 'village' or 'settlement.' In 1535, two Aboriginal youths told French explorer Jacques Cartier about the route to kanata; they were actually referring to the village of Stadacona, the site of the present-day City of Québec"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 12:07 AM

More foreign films at the library, great rapid transit. I don't feel like a left-wing freak here, but politically mainstream. I can go to a credit union without bulletproof plexiglass separating me from the teller, the management of the credit union know us by first name and have since the week we arrived. Lots of European imported foods, especially UK chocolate. Movie admissions are cheaper.

The cons: importing the car was a sick bureaucratic saga. Post office does not actually sell stamps to us, we go to a drugstore. Some people have to go to a 'supermailbox' on their street if they live in detached houses. We miss the good fried chicken and Chex Mix, we'll probably be leaner. Gas prices are high where I am. Some people complain about the dairy prices, but I rarely buy milk and the US place where I buy gas also has the cheapest price for butter: US $2.69/pound brick.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 12:12 AM

More Pros: We have a VPN so we can continue to watch YouTube content limited to the US, but we also get free classic films online courtesy of CTV, free documentaries thanks to the CBC.

More Cons: pricy internet and mobile phone. Despite us being the Great White North, Canadians can't buy Vitamin D3 in dosages higher than 1000 IU per gelcap. Powdered glycine is difficult to find in the supplement stores -- they sell magnesium bisglycinate instead, but that might be better.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 12:15 AM

Sounds great R18 / R19. Especially the no plexiglass and first name thing.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 12:20 AM

I haven't, but two articles have been published by mainstream media in the past two years that stated record numbers of Americans are leaving the country. I attempted to move to Western Europe with assistance from a friend there 20 years ago, but that's very difficult. First-world countries anticipated American problems and prepared. None of my acquaintances and friends with national healthcare are dissatisfied with their care.

For years, broadband internet service in my area cost $45 monthly from Time-Warner, then BrightHouse. There was an option to downgrade to a lower speed service with a cable modem for $29 monthly. Last year, Spectrum took over. The lowest cost internet service now is $75 monthly. My cellular phone service with AT&T is $61 monthly, even though I do not use my old iPhone to access the internet. Anyone who thinks the above prices are anywhere near fair is sadly mistaken, especially compared to what Europeans, Asians and Africans pay. Americans are getting shafted in many ways.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 12:24 AM

Sorry you weren't able to leave like you wanted to R21. Yes, more and more Americans are leaving. Back in the 1990s they were talking about the migration FROM the United States rather than TO the United States.

Quality of life, my friends, quality of life.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2019 12:27 AM

R22, I wanted to leave so I could fight for the U.S. Constitution without interference. That needs to be clarified. Nobody can work towards any goal when others are trying to drive him or her batshit crazy.

R21

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 12:30 AM

Last one:

More pros: fish is cheaper here. I had to wait for halibut to go on special to buy it in the US because $23.00/lb USD was common, here the average cost is $16 CAD/pound.

Airport security apologize before swabbing passengers' hands if residue is detected, none of this TSA smashing the infirm to the ground.

When buses are full or cannot pick up passengers 'SORRY' displays on the marquee. If it matters to you, cannabis is legal everywhere, but I honestly do not see as many CBD products or retail shops here as I did in my marijuana-legal state.

more cons: Butter isn't sold in 4 oz sticks, 4 to a box. Airlines will nickel and dime. Many small shops are closed on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 12:38 AM

"When buses are full or cannot pick up passengers 'SORRY' displays on the marquee."

That's it, I'm outta here! U.S.? See ya'! Wouldn't wanna be ya'!

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 12:42 AM

R24 sounds honest and genuine to me. I remember seeing a bit of a Michael Moore film where he went a short distance over to Canada and simply walked into to peoples' homes, said sorry I made a mistake, and almost of them were like OK, no problem.. In the USA, that would usually get him attacked or shot. Wish I could move to Canada. The weather probably wouldn't agree with me, though. A buddy of mine from Boston went to Montreal regularly to party (no drugs) and he had a blast.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2019 12:49 AM

Case in point.

A little bit of my soul dies every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2019 1:07 AM

Shootings happen in Canada - there was a shooting at a northern Alberta school, Toronto fairly ran red with blood in a recent summer, when the recidivist gang members were released from their five-year sentences, and some emotionally-whack guy took his gang member brother's gun to the streets. Shootings happen in the general vicinity of where I am, but as I am not a gang member, I am not worried for my safety in a coffeehouse during the day, or in a school or university, or anywhere, really.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 1:11 AM

R28 I know Canada has prisons too. I know terrible things happen there too. But the quality of life still sounds better.

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2019 1:17 AM

I have been here a year in November. I am actually Canadian by birth but have lived in the US pretty much my entire life, since I was a child. I need to visit the US and pay taxes every year to keep my permanent residency, but I don't know if that's even important to me anymore. I live in downtown Toronto, where it is expensive, but I don't need a car, as transit takes me most places I need to go and the trains are great. Snow storms have begun, it was -4 earlier this week, but I don't pay above 40 for my electric bill and heating is included in my rent. I love Toronto. I love the swarms of people walking everywhere. Its beautiful right now with the Christmas lights. I got my health card recently. I am pretty much over the US.

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 1:20 AM

Article: I'm an American who moved to Canada —here's why I'll never move back

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2019 1:21 AM

I can see why R30.

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2019 1:23 AM

I loved Degrassi Junior High. I was an avid watcher.

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2019 1:27 AM

When people wanted to move because of George W. Bush...Canada said NO!!

by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2019 2:00 AM

[QUOTE] If drink too much water and get sick at least you could get medical help. I think their healthcare costs are lower because they don't have any mass shooters. Their emergency rooms are nice and slow.

Yeah, yeah. It always comes down to healthcare, doesn’t it? Canada has less people in it than the state of California. California and Texas—two states—combined have more people than all of the United Kingdom. Folks like you don’t truly grasp the scale of America. We are actually a confederation of 50 countries, many of which had to be pulled together in a bloody civil war with ramifications and deep grievances that still remain a century and a half later. You can’t compare us to no damn Canada. Try instead to imagine if the European Union decided to implement one single system administering healthcare across its 28 member countries. Germany, France, the UK, Belgium, Spain, Italy—all under one big international roof, called “Medicare For All,” built from scratch after the formation of the EU as they didn’t individually have universal healthcare. Imagine that, and then you’ll have some idea of the sheer breadth of transformation required to build a single payer system in America.

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2019 2:04 AM

Please, don't come to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2019 2:07 AM

R30, Minus 4 degrees? I don't want to sound like a wuss, but I doubt I could handle that. Here's a shocker about my electric bill. I stayed with a relative for a while, so I shut off absolutely everything in my apartment except the new refrigerator and put that on the most frugal setting. My monthly electric bill was over 35 US dollars!

by Anonymousreply 37December 5, 2019 2:29 AM

Very good point R35. Excellent point.

by Anonymousreply 38December 5, 2019 2:38 AM

I'm glad you chimed in R35. I was just going to ask about the rabid anti-Americanism Americans deal with up north.

by Anonymousreply 39December 5, 2019 2:40 AM

R35, my parents were older and I was responsible for handling their affairs before they died, including Medicare and supplemental insurance claims. The US Medicare system is one of the most efficient insurance systems about which I know. The rate of fraud is less than 5%, Therefore, I find your argument specious. However, I don't support proposed "Medicare For All" plans. The USA is the only country in the developed world that doesn't have universal health care. I have acquaintances and friends in several Western European countries. Nobody has any complaint with their healthcare systems. In one country, a couple's private insurance costs $150 monthly. "Socialized medicine" is a propaganda term. Where'd Rand Paul go for his surgery? American managed care is far, far worse than any national health plan in Western Europe because companies are in charge, not doctors.

by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2019 2:44 AM

R18, you forgot to mention milk in a bag.

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2019 12:30 PM

If America was just comprised of New England, the Mid-Atlantic, Upper Midwest and West Coast, I'm sure we would have had universal healthcare many decades ago. Oh, if only.

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2019 12:33 PM

r37 I assume he was reporting in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. -4 Celsius = +25 Fahrenheit

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2019 3:10 PM

How many famous Canadians are now living in Canada? Anne Murray? How many others?

You simply cannot pack up and move to Canada without a job or a lot of money.

The US has by far the easiest and most liberal immigration policy of any Western country. The rest of the West doesn't want you.

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2019 3:16 PM

R43, thanks, I didn't take that into consideration. When one lives in a climate like mine, 25F the first week of December would still be a shock.

R44, please check facts regarding your last statement. It's only "easy" for comparatively wealthy people to permanently move to the USA. Your second statement also applies to moving to the USA. As I already posted, other first-world Western countries anticipated American problems and prepared. Since 1921, the USA has maintained a strict anti-immigration policy. I assume you're not a woman; neither am I. All women immigrating to the USA must be fully vaccinated against HPV. Are you aware how much those vaccinations cost? That's just one example.

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2019 3:44 AM

by Anonymousreply 46December 6, 2019 3:50 AM

I investigated immigrating to Canada a couple of years ago. I think my best bet would to meet a nice Canadian on an online dating website and get in on a spousal visa.

Then I think, I'm the progressive liberal and I'm not the one who sucks. Why should I let the backwards hillbillies have this country while the good people move away? Fuck them and their bullshit, this is my country, too.

by Anonymousreply 47December 6, 2019 4:40 AM

I'm working now, and my job is in Seattle. But I hold a Canadian passport because my father was Canadian, and I am seriously considering moving across the border to British Columbia after I retire next year. It's less than three hours away by car.

I'm thinking perhaps a small town on Vancouver Island, a ferry ride away from city of Vancouver.

From what I understand, I can collect Social Security and my pension from Canada just as easily as within the USA. After 90 days of legal residency, I understand that the province of BC would grant me medical insurance coverage.

I'm tired of worrying about our insane politics and public services (or lack thereof). I'm worn out by the outrageous cost of health insurance. Even if the terrible Drumpf is voted out of office, I'm ready to go.

by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2019 5:22 AM

I'm from the USA and moved to Québec back in 2005 because I hated Bush and US politics in general. I was there only for six months and wound up moving to southern Mexico permanently instead. Moving to Mexico was, hands-down, the best decision I ever made.

by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2019 6:17 AM

R49 prescription drugs are dirt-cheap in Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 50December 6, 2019 6:28 AM

R49 I don't take drugs at all, but yes, most are.

Mexicans tend to prevent health problems through nutrition and treat ails through natural means vs. consuming drugs. They understand that chemical treatment for one thing is simultaneously harming you in another way, and they consider drugs a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 51December 6, 2019 7:07 AM

R51 that's great if one is born healthy with no genetic problems, which basically does not exist. Everyone has something. Mexico is not a healthy country. Canadians and Americans do not go to Mexico for health care. I hope you're safe.

R50

by Anonymousreply 52December 6, 2019 7:11 AM

R24 Buying sticks of butter 4 to a box depends on where you live in Canada. It's very much available in Eastern Canada.

by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2019 7:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!