Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How long did it take for you to get your current job?

How many resumes did you send out and interviews did you go on? What field are you in?

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 1:18 AM

I work in Health Insurance. I needed a paycheck, so I was working through a temp agency, taking pretty much any assignment they gave me. But they gave me an assignment in the next county, and I had to borrow my Dad's car just to get there. The work environment was very cold and miserable, and I received almost no warning when they told me not to return on Monday. After that, I talked to my agency, and told them that my next assignment needed to be with a large employer, within the city limits, preferably on the bus line. So that's how I ended up here. It was supposed to be a one week assignment, but I viewed it as an audition, and I was determined to impress. I just celebrated my 25th anniversary with my company. I understand the process of sending out resumes and all that, but a boy's got to eat, and I never really had the luxury to do that: I need a paycheck, right away. And, if you can't already tell, I'm very much working class.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 11:10 PM

Many a nights.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 11:16 PM

I interview well but it took me 4 jobs to find the one I have now. I fire employers, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 11:19 PM

Good for you R3. That's my attitude. It took me a year after grad school to land a job--and it was the lowest possible rung in the library. I have a good job now but I didn't know how difficult it was going to be. Next time you're at the library and you see some old shuffling staff member, tell 'em to get the hell out and retire!

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 11:37 PM

I knew someone at the company who helped me get the job.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 12:18 AM

Applied on Tues, called me on Weds, did a video profile on Thurs, hired on Friday. Still have the job a year and a half later.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 1:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!