Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wine-lovers: where is your favorite wine region?

I recently did a trip to Valle de Guadalupe in Baja California and it was amazing!

Really nice wines. The wineries themselves have really cutting edge architecture. Lots of fine dining, offering sophisticated food -- all for a fraction of what you'd pay in Napa. They're really doing some innovative stuff down there. It's still a little bit under the radar but I expect that to change soon.

Any other favorite wineries or wine regions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 19, 2020 9:45 PM

Forbes article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 9:37 PM

A well kept secret wine region would be Long Island. They really don't grow enough for export beyond Manhattan though.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 9:37 PM

Bordeaux

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 9:44 PM

R2, that's new to me. I didn't know there was a wine region out there.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 9:58 PM

Sonoma

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 10:06 PM

Terraced vineyards of Lavaux on the shores of Lake Geneva (Lac Leman). The Bekaa Valley in Lebanon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 10:10 PM

R4

When I lived in Manhattan years ago, stores would carry Long Island wine, pricier but worth it!

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2019 10:15 PM

The Michigan coast had some nice wineries. I didn't expect that there!

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2019 10:32 PM

The Niagara Peninsula. Southern Ontario is pretty underwhelming, but the Niagara peninsula is an exception. nice scenery, mild summer temperatures, tasteful towns (Niagara on the Lake).

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 10:37 PM

I wanna go to MIAMI!!....

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 10:54 PM

My favorite winery in Baja is Encuentro. Not a bad place to stay, either. The architecture is a little out there (but I like it).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 11:01 PM

Oregon has some nice wines.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 11:27 PM

I know shit about wine, and don’t even drink it anymore, but a friend brought a bottle of sauvignon blanc from Marlborough Estates, NZ and it was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 11:43 PM

R12: The Willamette Valley south of Portland is excellent!

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2019 11:46 PM

Rias Baixas for white, Pfalz for red.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2019 11:49 PM

New York Times got into it. Wine tastings are criminally cheap -- the only bummer is you're technically allowed to only bring back 1.5 liters per person across the border!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2019 12:05 AM

Finger Lakes has some nice wineries.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 2:03 AM

My favorite wine in the world is Shiraz, so whatever area specializes in that.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 4:06 AM

Rhône River - most intense and exciting wines in the world: Cote Rotie, Hermitage, Condrieu, Chateau Neuf du Pape, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 4:10 AM

Golan Heights

Judean Hills (Ella Valley)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 4:20 AM

Chilean wines are pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 10:16 AM

Good suggestions!

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2019 5:30 AM

I like the Santa Ynez valley north of Santa Barbara. I’m not the biggest wine lover but it’s very scenic, a perfect weekend break and I really enjoyed the wines.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2019 6:15 AM

R23, love that area as well. Temecula is nice as well.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2019 6:37 AM

R18

Just an FYI that shiraz is pretty much the same as syrah.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2019 6:49 AM

Costco! Tee-hee!!!

Oh that hurt to type. My fibro is, like, super bad today y’all!!!

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2019 7:58 AM

My favorite wine region is the 7-11, third refrigerator case from the left.

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2019 8:05 AM

I agree with R3, Bordeaux is now my favorite. I'm from Oregon and agree that what you find there is pretty good, but there is no comparison with what you find in Bordeaux. These people have been in the business for hundreds of years. Even the wine you find in small stores is excellent. I selected a bottle (think it was around 5 Euro) at a small store and it was fantastic. You can go on any number of wine tours in this large region.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2019 8:45 AM

I love how accessible and popular wine has become. In the States at least, it used to be seen as more of a luxury for the rich.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2019 7:07 PM

I don't know, but definitely not my hips …. ACK!

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2019 8:02 PM

OP - I'm looking to spend a couple of weeks in Northern Baja and the Valle de Guadalupe is on my list for all of the great wineries I've read about. Where did you stay? Ensenada? Roasarito? Any thoughts on either of these areas and where to stay?

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2020 10:31 PM

Mississippi

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2020 10:35 PM

My favorite region is the one between my lips that the wine goes through as I'm trying to get drunk.

by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2020 10:48 PM

In a box.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2020 11:19 PM

R31, I've stayed both in Ensenada and the right in the actual Valle de Guadalupe. I've stayed in Hotel Entre Vinedos in a very nice, comfortable suite -- pool and jacuzzi and on-site restaurant. Very reasonably priced for what you're getting!

I recommend eating breakfast at La Cocina de Dona Estela. Amazing food in the valley! The only drawback is that you need a truck/high-clearance vehicle to navigate the rough dirt road.

Between Ensenada and Rosarito, I would choose Ensenada, as it has less of a spring break feel to it, and you're only about a half hour away from the wineries in the valley. Ensenada also has lots of good seafood restaurants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 7, 2020 2:05 AM

Lucia Highlands Monterey County CA

by Anonymousreply 36May 7, 2020 3:20 AM

YEA! Thanks r35/OP for responding! I thought it was a shot in the dark with old threads.

Any other tips on the area? Some people will say it isn't safe. Were there any gay bars in Ensenada? General vibe? Any wineries you would recommend?

by Anonymousreply 37May 7, 2020 5:24 AM

Anyone been to Mendoza??

by Anonymousreply 38May 7, 2020 3:07 PM

Chile

by Anonymousreply 39May 7, 2020 3:35 PM

The Egri region of Hungary.

by Anonymousreply 40May 7, 2020 4:10 PM

R37, sorry for the late response -- this thread and some others just dropped off my watchlist -- but I have a few suggestions:

I've never felt unsafe in Baja. I've always gone with friends or groups of people and we were fine going to various restaurants and shops in Ensenada, and never had any negative experiences. In general, unless someone is seeking out sketchy things, tourists are fine.

The toll road from Tijuana down south is a very smooth and well-maintained drive. Keep spare dollars/pesos handy for paying the tollbooth operators. They accept U.S. dollars/change.

The last time I went, I believe there was one gay bar in Ensenada, very much a locals bar. Grindr/Scruff are very popular.

Wineries I liked: Decantos, Monte Xanic. I loved the architecture of Bruma and they give nice tours of the winery. The restaurant, Fauna, is very good. I liked the space-themed architecture of Alximia and their wines as well. Sol y Luna gives free wine, cheese, and chili oil tastings (wine is not the best, but it's a fun experience). I have a couple of more wineries that I really liked, but I forgot their name off the top of my head, but I'll add later on when I remember.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 13, 2020 8:48 PM

The Cape wine lands of South Africa. Excellent wines and very inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 42May 13, 2020 8:51 PM

R42, I am very intrigued by Cape Town. Just from photos, it looks like a gorgeous city. And they have wine country! I think I know where I would like to vacation when this is all over.

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2020 8:53 PM

R43 I just came back from 3 weeks of bliss in South Africa before everything went to shit. I’m from there originally and I can tell you that Cape Town and the surrounding wine lands are like no place on earth. If you can, do it. All the good wines are not exported to the US. Don’t judge based on the crap they sell in the US.

by Anonymousreply 44May 13, 2020 9:01 PM

Bordeaux. Not usually a fan of white wines, but white Bordeaux is amazing, and the Sauternes are incredible, if you like dessert wines. The countryside in and around Bordeaux is beautiful, and they seem to have a real appreciation for restoration. Wonderful place to spend a quiet week.

by Anonymousreply 45May 13, 2020 9:11 PM

Paxico, Kansas

by Anonymousreply 46May 13, 2020 9:13 PM

Any wine from France’s Rhône Valley! They are diverse, amazing, and bursting with flavor - the wine world’s equivalent to a PRIMAL SCREAM.

by Anonymousreply 47May 13, 2020 9:17 PM

[quote] I’m from there originally and I can tell you that Cape Town and the surrounding wine lands are like no place on earth.

From the looks of it, there's mountains, beaches, and wine vineyards. I'm sold! What time of year is the best time to visit, you'd say?

by Anonymousreply 48May 13, 2020 9:47 PM

Burgundy, France

by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote]where is your favorite wine region?

Generally located around my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 50May 13, 2020 11:15 PM

The “Riesling Road” in Germany. Rieslings have gotten such a bad reputation in the U.S. (though that’s changing) that the German rieslings are a revelation. And the countryside is beautiful. An easy trip from Frankfurt.

by Anonymousreply 51May 13, 2020 11:41 PM

A box of Franzia

by Anonymousreply 52May 13, 2020 11:48 PM

Lubbock, Texas

by Anonymousreply 53May 13, 2020 11:56 PM

R48, for me the best time is late Feb and into Mar. That’s the end of the summer season. Schools are back and the weather is still good.

by Anonymousreply 54May 13, 2020 11:56 PM

Napa—some others mentioned above are good.

by Anonymousreply 55May 14, 2020 12:06 AM

R55, I love Napa and Sonoma wines. There is no lack of good food and wine up there.

by Anonymousreply 56May 14, 2020 1:10 AM

As long as we have some wine lovers here - What are some suggestions for a basic white and/or red "house" wine? You know, just a nice, inexpensive wine to keep on hand (and which would be available nationally). My tastes in wine are pretty basic but I'd like to avoid the really crappy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 57May 14, 2020 1:19 AM

R57, Paolo Scavino Vino Da Tavola is a good $14 wine. Coppola Claret always seems very drinkable for groups. Las Rocas Garnacha is another decent one. My partner likes Intermingle Red Blend from Aldi (lol).

by Anonymousreply 58May 14, 2020 3:01 AM

Lots of good wine from Argentina.

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2020 1:23 AM

The local BevMo.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2020 1:42 AM

r57 Two-Buck Chuck!

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2020 2:48 AM

R58 - people may laugh at the Aldi wine choice, but I've bought some good stuff there. Currently, there's a 1.5L Essenza di Vita Pinot Grigio (I believe 88 points) available for $8.59.

That's an incredible deal and it is very good wine - much better than any table wine.

Yes - I'm drinking a lot during the lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2020 3:09 PM

Niigara Ontario has some great vineyards

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2020 3:13 PM

Pinot Grigio is a shit wine so nothing to brag about there.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2020 4:29 PM

R64 really? I find it similar but not as good as Sauvignon Blanc which is my favorite wine especially in summer. There’s one called Springfield, life from stone. It’s grown in quartz and is unfiltered. Delicious! Comes from South Africa.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2020 4:39 PM

Sonoma County

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2020 4:47 PM

R65 - there is a general opinion that Pinot Grigio is garbage, white-trash wine which I think is based more on its popularity than on being bad wine.

I don't care - the one I listed from Aldi scored good points, tastes great and is a good price.

Lambrusco is considered ghetto as well - but it is a wonderfully refreshing choice on a hot summer day. Most rose is garbage too - but don't tell women that.

I wish there were more controls on the wine industry - there's just too snobbery and bad stuff masquerading as good stuff. Your average drinker is playing roulette and it is difficult to know if you're getting a good value.

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2020 5:09 PM

[quote] there's just too snobbery and bad stuff masquerading as good stuff.

I think some snobbery comes into play because wine is comparatively expensive in the US versus in Europe, so therefore only until somewhat recently, wine was a luxury only for the rich. Even today, just one glass of wine at a restaurant is way overpriced. In Italy, for example, good wine is cheap and plentiful and enjoyed by everyone of all ages, rich or poor.

I do think that is changing though and wine is becoming more accessible here.

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2020 7:08 PM

Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2020 8:37 PM

r38. Yes, Mendoza Argentina. I love Torrontes!

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2020 9:23 PM

Wherever they make Ripple, Thunderbird, Boone's Farm, and Manischewitz.

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2020 10:03 PM

Wine is ridiculously overpriced in the US, especially in restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2020 10:21 PM

I've actually been to a winery in Lubbock, r53, on business. It is the flattest city I have ever visited.

by Anonymousreply 73May 19, 2020 9:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!