Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cory Booker: there are now more billionaires than Blacks in the Democratic debates

This will tear us apart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 6, 2019 4:44 PM

Resorting to identity politics, I see. Same as Kamala when she was getting desperate. He has six business days to get all the qualifying polls for the next debate, his super PAC is airing ads in Iowa attacking Pete... girl is a MESS.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2019 5:56 PM

He is right

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2019 5:56 PM

He should address this to the DNC or to whomever is responsible for allowing self-funding campaigns (Congress?). Otherwise, it's just misplaced anger.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2019 6:00 PM

Dear Cory.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2019 6:10 PM

And there were more black candidates than there were openly gay candidates.

More gay than transgender.

More half-Samoan Russian agents than transgender candidates.

This is fun. We can do this all day.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2019 6:17 PM

Nobody buys into the myth that Kamala Harris is Adrican American.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2019 6:18 PM

No, in fact no one's ever heard of Adrican American.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2019 6:19 PM

There are more Oprah-approved New Age Jewish spiritual guru women candidates than, uh, Joe Rogan-approved Inuit MMA-fighter psychedelics-endorsing candidates.

Let’s call out problematic problems when we see them.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2019 6:21 PM

Cory Booker picking up Kamala's torch with no ideas and desperate pleas or black people to vote for them because they're kinda black.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2019 6:24 PM

Cory's biggest mistake is that he keeps mentioning his race.

Obama never brought up race. He always made it clear that he was running, to represent EVERYONE.

Something that really rubbed me the wrong way, was Cory saying, "I would be the first DESCENDANT OF SLAVES to become President."

Not only is that a huge slap in the face to Obama, but I'm not sure that it is really as important as he's trying to make it seem.

Obama was the first African American President. PERIOD.

This is why Cory doesn't even have the support of other African Americans. They can see right through him and his bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2019 6:27 PM

r10 Obama was also 100 times the politician that Booker is.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2019 6:30 PM

Obama was a once in a generation political talent. No one else in the game is as good as he was.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2019 6:33 PM

Give Cory and Kamala a participation award and be done with it

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2019 6:34 PM

"Cory's biggest mistake is that he keeps mentioning his race."

That's all he had: "Vote for me- I'm black (but not too black)".

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2019 6:39 PM

What's Cory's stance on legalizing psychedelics?

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2019 6:41 PM

"Cory Booker says 'it's a damn shame' that Kamala Harris suspended campaign"

On All In With Chris Hayes Tuesday night, Democratic presidential candidate Cory Booker responded to fellow candidate Kamala Harris dropping out of the race earlier in the day.

Though Harris cited fundraising issues as the reason for suspending her campaign, she was the only non-white candidate so far to meet the fundraising and polling qualifications set by the Democratic National Committee to participate in the upcoming debate. And Booker lamented the fact that she would no longer be taking part.

“I have to say that we started with one of the most diverse fields in our history. Giving people pride,” Booker said. “And it’s a damn shame now that the only African-American woman in this race, who has been speaking to issues that need to be brought up, is now no longer in it, and we’re spiraling towards a debate stage that potentially, we’re still trying to get in it, but could have six people with no diversity whatsoever.”

So far, the only candidates to qualify for the debate are Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobuchar and Tom Steyer. So Booker also took this opportunity to publicly criticize the DNC for setting standards that could keep him and other candidates out of the debate.

“The way this is shaping up, especially with the rules of the DNC,” Booker said, “it is preferencing millionaires and billionaires and a lot of other things that don’t ever translate into viability in Iowa.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2019 6:44 PM

R1: It's understable that he attacked Pete, he made a great effort at bearding to be presidentiable and then it cames an openly gay nobody and does way better than him. That must hurt

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 6:44 PM

Cory supports legalizing marijuana. I’m sure at least in his heart he supports legalizing psychedelics.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 6:44 PM

It's not the fault of white people that Kamala dropped out and that Cory isn't popular among black people. Instead of blaming the racial divide on their failure, they need to figure out why they didn't capture the hearts and minds of the public like Obama did. Maybe it has to do with charisma, being humble and genuine, none of which neither Kamala or Cory had. People know a phony when they see it. More so with Cory than Kamala. She had her moments, but I think she got caught up in her own press coverage, much like Beto. But, Cory...don't get me started.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2019 6:47 PM

Williamson supports legalizing them.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2019 6:47 PM

Most (all?) candidates support legalising marijuana. As for psychedelics, decriminalisation of possession would be a huge step. I know Pete proposed decriminalising all drug possession and I'm sure other candidates have similar proposals.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2019 6:49 PM

Kamala Harris was a mean bitch. End of story.

She did not exude any warmth, whatsoever.

Harris would constantly roll her eyes, make nasty faces, use a harsh tone when speaking, and generally give off a vibe that said "I'm smarter than everyone else."

There is only one person for Kamala to blame for her collapse, and that is HERSELF.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 6:50 PM

She sounds like the average DL poster R22.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2019 6:52 PM

She sounds like the average DL poster R22.

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2019 6:52 PM

r22 She got shitty advice or maybe she overruled competent advice and went with her own instincts, regardless she ran a failed campaign.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2019 6:52 PM

🤗🤗🤗

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2019 6:53 PM

Who are the billionaires? Just Bloomberg and Yang?

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2019 6:54 PM

Why aren’t there any midget or Eskimo candidates?

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2019 6:56 PM

I know several people, mostly African Americans, who worked with Cory Booker during his mayoral and senatorial campaigns and they all despise him. A glad handing user. He will play the race card when things don’t go his way....a woman who worked to help him become senator asked him for one favor-find her college grad son a position. Got him a job with the municipal branch that handles swimming pools - his job? Cleaning out lockers of old clothes. Cory or Kamala ain’t about shit.

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2019 6:56 PM

She's actually extremely funny and personable when you get to know her.

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2019 7:00 PM

Booker is not wrong. He's just pointing out something that's true.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2019 7:02 PM

R10 You are very wrong about so many things. I myself am a descendant of slaves, and would absolutely love to see a member of that stock become president of the United states very much so. As for president Obama. Hes a first generation American on his father's side, who happens to be Kenyan and not a traditional historical African American from the blood line of slavery and Jim crow. That stuff actually does matter to some people.

People pointed that out in 2008 when he was elected president. But felt he was a great Choice and he was married to Michelle which was a asset to jim. Obama is not a descendant of American slaves, Michelle is but not Barack. So it's actually not a slap in the face to Obama. He was a good president, but hes not a historical African American and plenty of African Americans have pointed this out over the last decade, myself included. That takes nothing away from him. But it's just a real life fact.

Just my two cents on the matter.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2019 7:03 PM

Yang may have str8 privilege, but he does not have white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2019 7:04 PM

Come back to New Jersey, Cory.

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2019 7:06 PM

R32, I appreciate your point of view, but you're still discounting the importance and significance of Obama's Presidency.

Regardless of ancestry, he's still African, and he's still American.

His election was historic, and for someone like Booker (and yourself) to just dismiss that, it is definitely insulting.

You are diminishing his accomplishment, to try to make YOUR OWN experience seem more valuable or more significant.

Guess what? It's not.

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2019 7:09 PM

It's official: Kamala succ essfully slept her way to the middle.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2019 7:11 PM

Yes there is absolutely a cultural difference between Cory Booker, who has the traditional black American story of being descended from slaves that were brought to America. And Obama, who was not part of that story. He had no ties to the history of black Americans.

I don't see how anyone cant see the difference there.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2019 7:13 PM

R37: People can see that, but they just don't care because it makes absolutely no difference to be a good president

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2019 7:14 PM

Maybe blacks would vote for Booker if he himself weren't a millionaire and also voted for every pro corporate piece of legislation that was before him.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2019 7:16 PM

[quote] Obama, who was not part of that story. He had no ties to the history of black Americans.

What a load of horse shit.

This is the kind of nitpicking, that will get African Americans NOWHERE.

Celebrate the accomplishment of a black person becoming President, rather than trying to discount it as "less than."

Nothing is ever good enough for you, is it?

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2019 7:16 PM

Ok Cory. What do you propose we do about this billionaire problem? Let's hear some stuff, rather than what sounds SJW hand-wringing.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2019 7:19 PM

Shut up @R40 You have no right to tell black peoples how to feel. Obama was not African American.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2019 7:19 PM

So Obama ain't a true black because he wasn't descended from Slaves? I'm sorry but Obama is way blacker than wall street booker

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2019 7:20 PM

Corey and his weird identity black politics I would love a black president who was a descendant of slaves. Just not him. Identity politics don’t work anymore. Otherwise Hilary would be POTUS right now.

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2019 7:21 PM

[quote] Obama, who was not part of that story. He had no ties to the history of black Americans.

Motherfucker, how stupid are you?

Barack Obama IS the history of black Americans.

In American history books, he is now, and forever shall be the first BLACK AMERICAN to become President of the United States.

If you are too stupid to realize this, then you are beyond help.

[quote] Obama was not African American

Hmmm, let's see.

Barack Obama's father was from Kenya. That makes him part African.

Barack Obama was born in Hawaii in 1961. That makes him American.

So I guess that would make him AFRICAN AMERICAN.

You stupid fucktard.

I think it's pretty clear, that you're just trolling at this point.

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2019 7:23 PM

And your making that determination on what? @R43 Obama was not black American. I still would take Obama over Booker but he can’t claim an ethnicity and legacy that isn’t his

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2019 7:23 PM

Wow @R45 His mother was white. His father was Kenyan, not African American. I never understand why others feel the need to lecture black Americans who is and who isn’t African American

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2019 7:25 PM

Some of your brains can't handle nuance. Obviously Obama is a black man and the first black President, but there a big history of the black American experience. Black people have been part of this country for centuries and have a shared legacy they have undergone as a people.

Obama is not a part of that legacy, unlike his wife Michelle who was.

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2019 7:27 PM

Keep on building that wall, R48. Keep on creating that divide.

You'll see how far that will get you.

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2019 7:28 PM

Thank you @R48 *rolls eyes* @R49

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2019 7:29 PM

Obama married a black woman, he's living a blacker life than closet case Booker.

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2019 7:42 PM

We've never had an Asian-American president either, and Asian-Americans don't seem to give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2019 7:45 PM

[quote] We've never had an Asian-American president either, and Asian-Americans don't seem to give a fuck.

Considering that they're like 2% of the total population, they really shouldn't hold their breath.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2019 7:48 PM

r52 Asians have a different history in America, no one forced them to come here so they're not demanding anything. Blacks have been mistreated and there current plight is largely because we've denigrated them, so we do owe them something.

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2019 7:50 PM

R54 everybody has to move on. Wallowing in the injustices of the past and playing victim won't get you anywhere in life. Jews learned this a LONG time ago.

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2019 7:57 PM

r55 Spoken like an old privileged white dude who didn't have to grow up in a ghetto or a substandard ghetto school.

by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2019 8:00 PM

Oh honey @R55 You do know the Jews the main saying is “never forget”

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2019 8:17 PM

Oh honey @R55 You do know the Jews the main saying is “never forget”

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2019 8:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2019 8:21 PM

This is so fucking ridiculous. Cory, the reason why you're doing badly isn't billionaires or racism or misogyny (what?!) or w/e else--it's that you're a BLARING PHONY, and people can easily sniff out an obvious bullshitter in politics, which you are! You're like an extremely cheap imitation of Obama crossed with Marianne's "peace and love!" yoga babble. White Cory would be getting exactly as much traction as black Cory is getting--ZERO! You're a phony and nobody wants to buy your koolaid regardless of the flavor! Just drop out!

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2019 8:23 PM

He’s desperate. Hasn’t made The December debates. Far from it.

by Anonymousreply 61December 4, 2019 8:25 PM

So, Cory, what's your point...

There were more black presidents than woman presidents.

There were more black presidents than openly gay presidents.

Sometimes it works out in your favor, sometimes it doesn't...and to bring race into it because the people don't cate for the POC candidates this time around is low and dangerous in this charged environment.

by Anonymousreply 62December 4, 2019 8:27 PM

He’s trying to get money from a plurality of white Democrats, who are active and now strongly sympathetic to ethnic minority concerns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 4, 2019 8:30 PM

Team r60 for LIFE 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2019 8:42 PM

It's the Oppression Olympics here on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 65December 4, 2019 10:49 PM

So only black people whose ancestors were slaves are black enough to be president. Barack Obama doesn’t count as “African-American” because his father was from Kenya. A second-generation Haitian wouldn’t know anything about being black in America.

Oppression Olympics indeed.

by Anonymousreply 66December 4, 2019 11:14 PM

They are doing a Blackout of the debates, just like at the Oscars with The Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 67December 5, 2019 1:41 AM

I'm confused, what is the criticism exactly? You can't force African americans to run if they don't want to so it's no ones fault that there aren't more blacks on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 68December 5, 2019 3:23 AM

Oh, fuckoff, Cory.

by Anonymousreply 69December 5, 2019 3:32 AM

So I guess Kamala would be out anyway, since her family ancestry shows that they owned slaves

by Anonymousreply 70December 5, 2019 6:13 PM

"My ancestors were slaves" is the AA equivalent to "My family came over on The Mayflower". Really?

by Anonymousreply 71December 5, 2019 6:45 PM

Obama's mother was American, his father was African. Can't get much more A-A than that.

by Anonymousreply 72December 5, 2019 6:47 PM

Isn't that strange, R71 and R72?

This shit has really gotten out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 73December 5, 2019 6:49 PM

Booker and Castro are at it again, basically calling the DNC racist now. Neither have a single qualifying poll for the December debate.

That quote from the DNC spokesperson about how no candidate struggling to reach 4% at this point in the race has gone on to become the nominee is the only proper response to this whinging.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 5, 2019 9:28 PM

[quote] Booker and Castro are at it again, basically calling the DNC racist now

Thereby scaring away potential white voters, in droves.

Fucking dumb shits.

by Anonymousreply 75December 5, 2019 10:34 PM

This is nothing but sour grapes on Booker's part, and on the part of the hand-wringers and pundits (looking at you Joy) who ignore the fact that the majority of Black voters have not coalesced around Harris or Booker.

Harris qualified for the December debate, BTW. Booker hasn't yet.

Biden has had the largest share of the Black vote from the beginning. Neither Harris nor Booker have made any real dent there. It's obvious to me that Black voters are savvy enough to keep their eyes on the one real objective: get rid of Trump.

Having a white Presidential candidate doesn't mean the whole ticket is white. In fact, it shouldn't be.

Isn't it interesting that three of the most visible Democrat women of color in Congress (AOC, Tlaib, Omar) endorse Sanders, an old white guy?

Isn't it interesting that the guy who disrupted the pro-Pete press conference by Black citizens of South Bend and went on about "real Black voices" supports Sanders, an old white guy?

Would love to hear Booker, Joy Reid, and others crying racism to talk about those things.

by Anonymousreply 76December 6, 2019 1:48 PM

Obama’s mantra was, “I’m going to be the President for everybody.” Booker and Kamala: “Vote for me because I’m black, and blacks are oppressed. Therefore you owe it to us.”

At the same time, their policy is, attack other candidates but stand for nothing themselves. Just hit at the ankles of everyone else on the way down.

Gee, I wonder why Obama won 90% white Iowa, but they faded so early on?

by Anonymousreply 77December 6, 2019 1:51 PM

Will Booker throw in the towel next? I kind of wished that Beto O’Rourke had stayed in the race. Swallwell too.. because we know that he’d have been a real gas 💨

by Anonymousreply 78December 6, 2019 3:43 PM

I'm willing to bet that neither Harris nor Booker would win the primaries in their home states. Harris probably realized this.

No one forced Harris to drop out - as someone noted above, she qualified for the December debate. She made the decision all on her own.

by Anonymousreply 79December 6, 2019 4:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!