Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Young People Don’t Want Cash No More 💸💵

Need to Pay the Babysitter? Don’t Even Think About Using Cash!

When Oliver Hicks finished helping his family with yard work last summer, his dad handed him $50 in cash. Oliver didn’t want it. “What the hell is this?” He asked his dad to send him the money through an app on his phone. “He be like, ‘What do you mean? There’s $50 in cash right in front of you. Why don’t you want it right now?’” recalls Oliver, a 20-year-old sophomore at Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania.

Oliver is like many young adults and teens in that he prefers the convenience of a digital wallet to physical cash—even if it means waiting a while to receive payment. But with young people snubbing cash altogether, parents and grandparents now are being forced to join in if they want to compensate them for chores or babysitting.

“It blew me away because I’ve always felt that cash is king, but he had no interest at all,” said Oliver’s dad, Jono, a 47-year-old sales manager for a sportswear brand. “I don’t feel that old and I identify with younger people on a lot of things, but there is definitely a disconnect on this.”

During a recent family dinner, Becky Hicks asked her nephew August —Oliver’s younger brother—if she could pay him cash for taking care of her dog. August, 16, said no and asked her to Venmo him instead. Jono shook his head once again, though he wasn’t surprised. “August has a drawer in his room filled with loose cash. If it’s not in his phone, it’s like it’s not there,” he said. August declined to comment.

Becky, 32, employs a lot of college students at the deli she owns and is used to paying out tips through Venmo. But she only began using it in her personal life about a year and a half ago out of necessity. “I tried writing a check to a babysitter and she was like, ‘Um, is it OK if you Venmo it to me?’” Becky recalls.

Oliver and August’s mom, Stephanie, has been quicker to adapt. She sends Oliver money through Cash App to pay him for tutoring his younger sister in math twice weekly over FaceTime and to reimburse him for the cost of necessities while he’s at college, such as books and sports equipment and Tampex, for heavy flows. Prevent embarrassing spotting and get on with life. Oliver uses Venmo with his friends.

But Susan Levin, Oliver and August’s 74-year-old grandmother, still gives her grandchildren cash for birthdays and Christmas. It’s too hard to shop for them anymore, she said, and she never knows what stores they like, so gift cards are out. She wraps cash in unique ways to make getting to it a challenge. One year she stuffed cash into wooden puzzle boxes that her grandchildren had to solve in order to open. Last Christmas she wrapped bills in balls of yarn to make them work for it like a cat. This Christmas she plans to stash cash in nesting dolls. She said there’s no way she would use an app to send them money, nor would she use a money app for herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225December 8, 2019 9:43 PM

“I use credit cards and I feel comfortable without cash but I wouldn’t leave the house without my wallet and only take my phone along. I would feel like I’m losing control,” she said. “Every day we’re inundated with stories about phones and accounts being compromised. It’s another way for your information to be given away.” Ms. Levin also worries that as people move away from cash, they will become more heavily marketed to than they are already, with so much spending history on file.

Has she discussed these concerns with her grandchildren? “I kind of roll my eyes and stay out of it because I’m the grandma, so what do I know?” she joked.

Oliver said he’s no more worried about the risks associated with transferring money in and out of an app than he is about anything else.

“We see how dangerous social media can be with data being leaked and yet we’re all still on social media. If you want to participate in what the rest of society is participating in because it’s more convenient, those are the risks you assume,” he said. “I could also get hit in the face with a line drive when I play baseball next week, but I still play baseball.” That argument isn’t enough to convince Oliver’s dad to join the cashless party. “I’ll be that old guy in the rocking chair going, ‘Remember that old paper money?’” Jono said.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2019 10:58 PM

If you really want to trigger them, write them a check.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2019 10:59 PM

They'll regret it when the Revolution comes and the government appropriates all their digital wallets.

Vote Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders or Michael Bloomberg and you will see 100% of your income turned over to the government.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2019 11:00 PM

I don't have Venmo. Should I get it?

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 11:02 PM

I'd say tough! Take the cash or forget about it.

Now get off my lawn while you ponder your decision.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 11:08 PM

R4, You should definitely get it to pay the babysitter. I would through four before one would accept cash. And she wanted extra for Gaysin’s ADD. So I finally broke down and got Venmo. No regerts.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 11:09 PM

Grandma sounds like fun.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 11:10 PM

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm 30, I have and prefer Paypal and Venmo, but I wouldn't say no to cash. Just put it in the ATM.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 11:14 PM

I'm tired of going to pay for something and having cashiers scribble on my money. It's not counterfeit and how very dare you infer that I am a thief! I will be in touch with your manager.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2019 11:17 PM

So they enjoy paying tax? Lol

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2019 11:18 PM

Susan Levin, seen with her grandson Oliver Hicks, still gives her grandchildren cash for birthdays and Christmas, but she makes them work for it like a cat. She wraps dollar bills and treats in balls of yarn and toilet paper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2019 11:18 PM

This is a PR piece put out by Apple on their own platform.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2019 11:19 PM

They'll regret not having cash when the power goes out for a few days.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2019 11:20 PM

Brought to you by the annoyingly superior people at Venmo.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2019 11:21 PM

1. Oliver got fifty fucking dollars for helping his family rake leaves?

2. His response to hard cash was “What the hell is this?”

I guess when the economy collapses there will be a bright spot when Oliver scrambles to get a fifth of that for twice the work. In humiliating greenbacks.

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2019 11:22 PM

[quote]She wraps dollar bills and treats in balls of yarn and toilet paper.

What a bitch. Just give me the damn money and go sit and watch reruns of Murder She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2019 11:22 PM

[quote]Brought to you by the annoyingly superior people at Venmo.

With commentary by a bunch of Big Mos.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2019 11:23 PM

Even my cleaning lady takes Venmo now.

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2019 11:27 PM

A lot of restaurants take Venmo instead of credit cards. They don’t like the credit card fees.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2019 11:29 PM

It takes two seconds to do Venmo on your phone. It's not complicated at all. Who the fuck wants to walk around with cash?

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2019 11:30 PM

R17 I’m Mr. January, (31 days long).

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2019 11:32 PM

[quote]If you really want to trigger them, write them a check.

It's 2019!

A check is fine -- because you can deposit them digitally to your bank using your phone by taking a photo of the front and the back! Both of my banks have that option.

And yes, I'm one of those people that carries maybe 20 dollars at the most and I use my phone to pay for everything.

I fought it for years and then I went with it. Now when someone asks to borrow actual cash I just stare, confused.

This works in a big city and it's pretty much expected at some places but in a small town, no dice.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2019 11:40 PM

Cash or nothing, your choice.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2019 11:42 PM

It's at the point now where I feel like a Luddite if I even pay with my debit/credit card.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2019 11:45 PM

When anyone hands you a 50 dollar bill, the answer is “Thank You”. Or, “Thank you very much”.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2019 11:47 PM

If I was paying some young fool for doing something for me and I handed over cash money and he/she declined it I'd be very happy to tell him/her to go fuck himself/herself and if he/she wanted to get paid they'd better take the damn money.

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2019 11:51 PM

I'm 31 and still a huge believer in cash. I like my debit and credit cards, but I still prefer to always have a generous amount of cash in my wallet too. In 2016 after a hurricane, there were only a few stores open and they were only excepting cash. So many people had turn around and leave because they didn't have cash on them.

I silently laughed to myself and thought, good for their dumb asses. That's just one reason why cash will always be important. And of course there's when they decide to cut the electricity off too.

I'd personally never want to live in a cashless society, I just think that's really stupid. Choices and options are always a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2019 11:57 PM

This is not a real article. Young people use Venmo and other apps of course, as do I (1990-born close-to-expiration-date millennial here). But even very young gen Z need and use cash. Especially the ones in college with fake id’s hitting the bars for $1 mixed drink nights. Now the young whores on Grindr are seen giving out their venmo information more frequently, but I bet it’s nust in hope that people Would give money for just a few slutty pics. I doubt they’d refuse cash for a house call.

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2019 11:57 PM

Does Oliver expect Venmo when he whores his hole out?

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2019 12:03 AM

[quote] “[bold]He be like,[/bold] ‘What do you mean? There’s $50 in cash right in front of you. Why don’t you want it right now?’” recalls Oliver, a 20-year-old sophomore at Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania.

He's a white kid at Swarthmore--why does he speak in ebonics?

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2019 12:06 AM

I like cash and I am quite happy when I am paid in cash.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2019 12:08 AM

Believe me, the young people around me prefer cash (which is what I give them). Easier to buy weed without being tracked.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2019 12:09 AM

[quote]She sends Oliver money through Cash App to pay him for tutoring his younger sister in math twice weekly over FaceTime and to reimburse him for the cost of necessities while he’s at college, such as books and sports equipment [bold]and Tampex, for heavy flows. Prevent embarrassing spotting and get on with life.[/bold]Oliver uses Venmo with his friends.

What the fuck, OP? Your cut and paste job bleeds chunks.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2019 12:18 AM

That's why he needs Tampax! That, or for his rentable hole.

This is a dumb, unbelievable ad OP.

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2019 12:19 AM

OP has a big heavy flow vagina

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2019 12:29 AM

[quote]parents and grandparents now are being forced to join in if they want to compensate them for chores or babysitting.

Of course, the other option is not paying the brat for contributing to the family and doing chores...

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2019 12:46 AM

Is he Jonathan Yaniv, and he imagine she needs to use feminine hygiene products?

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2019 1:04 AM

R36 I was thinking the same thing! Sounds like a brat.

I sold some furniture and houseware items on FB Marketplace this past summer and four times people showed up with no money and just assumed I’d take Venmo so I had to write “cash only” in the ads after that.

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2019 1:58 AM

It's all cash, but in different forms. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2019 2:01 AM

I knew that article was fake as soon as I read the line about him needing “Tampex” for heavy flow days.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2019 2:07 AM

r38 why don't you just put the venmo app on your phone? You just ended up making more work for yourself.

I don't understand why people are so averse to doing something so fucking simple and convenient.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2019 2:07 AM

I'm going to laugh when there is a huge Venmo hack due to this article.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2019 3:41 AM

Showing up with a wad of cash to a strangers house is more dangerous r38. Of course they would rather send you the payment electronically.

Anyway, I'm fine with cash, but it is old fashioned at this point. There is no point you should have to carry around physical tender to exchange for goods anymore.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2019 3:46 AM

Gen Z rentboys won't take cash. If you don't have Venmo, you'll have to insert your ATM card directly into their hole to process the transaction.

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2019 3:54 AM

How are these college student's buying pot, in non-legal states, or other drugs? I doubt dealers are taking Venmo.

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2019 3:55 AM

You'd be surprised then r45. *A lot* of drug deals are happening over Venmo and CashApp.

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2019 4:00 AM

R45 Gen Z doesn't do pot, they smoke the vapes

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2019 4:02 AM

Threads like these remind one how old and out of touch so many DLers are.

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2019 4:02 AM

R46 My college dealer was too paranoid for that shit. I made the mistake of saying I had to stop a the ATM on my way over to his house, and he told me to get the money out and wait two hours to come to his house. This was around eight years ago.

R47 You know you can vape pot, right?

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2019 4:04 AM

R48 And we must assume you're a delightful, spring chicken yourself, just randomly hanging out with the Olds?

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2019 4:05 AM

No r50 this board has all ages on it, but it's funny how the olds here are so out of touch. Just putting a damn app on your phones is cause for "get off my lawn!" shit. It's kind of sad.

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2019 4:33 AM

R51, giving your financial information out to every single app in the world is so smart. You're all going to learn your lessons the hard way. It's going to be fun to watch.

One question though...why do you trust corporations so much?

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2019 4:38 AM

No accept the cash, no get paid. And get off my lawn.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2019 4:38 AM

Sorry r52 the world has moved on.

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2019 4:41 AM

Does this mean go go boys no longer want dollars?

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2019 4:43 AM

Since this is from Apple's website, you really can't trust this story.

It would be like having something from the Taco Bell website that said, "Studies say teenagers demand more and more to be paid for their chores in chalupas."

by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2019 4:44 AM

I don't use cash either, and I'm nearly as old as dirt. I've had the same few bills in my wallet for months.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2019 4:51 AM

I always have cash for emergencies. And since pot is legal, if I want my edibles I need cash.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2019 4:55 AM

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2019 4:57 AM

One of the ways I screwed my sister over in a court case was by tracking her alcohol and drug purchases. She left a hell of a trail.

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2019 5:05 AM

But how will we pay the twinky boy whores?

by Anonymousreply 61December 4, 2019 5:15 AM

These kids haven't been out of their parents house much. How do you tip people for example? Going to the big city, valet, doormen, bellman, maids, tour guide, bus boy, etc. only take cash.

by Anonymousreply 62December 4, 2019 5:51 AM

R52 Your very right. R54 Is going to learn the hard way just as so many others will.

Corporations are not our friends. I'm 31 and I know this myself. I don't have a problem with convenient ways to carry $$ and transfer $$. But I do think it should be a bit worrisome, that their trying to make everything computerized.

I mean, what happens when they decide to cut off the global electricity system? Then what?

You better be aware of the mark of the beast. Don't be so trusting of corporations.

by Anonymousreply 63December 4, 2019 7:19 AM

I'm not giving up cash ever if I can manage it. I have no interest in putting all that information on my phone. I don't even do that many transactions on my computer except occasional online purchases.

If anyone wants my info I'm not going to make it easy for them.

by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2019 7:30 AM

No one wants your info, gramps. 👴🏻

by Anonymousreply 65December 4, 2019 7:51 AM

That is bullshit, no one EVER said, "I don't want cash."

by Anonymousreply 66December 4, 2019 8:12 AM

r62 Hotel workers can be tipped to your bill. Doorman are tipped yearly.

by Anonymousreply 67December 4, 2019 8:14 AM

I do not live in the US and in my city it is mostly cash and I prefer it.

by Anonymousreply 68December 4, 2019 9:07 AM

[quote]Gen Z rentboys won't take cash. If you don't have Venmo, you'll have to insert your ATM card directly into their hole to process the transaction.

Well, I only hire rentboys who have coin slot holes, so. . . .

by Anonymousreply 69December 4, 2019 10:52 AM

[quote]I have no interest in putting all that information on my phone.

If your phone is stolen you can fry it remotely in two minutes.

by Anonymousreply 70December 4, 2019 1:27 PM

So stupid. Cash ALWAYS has a place. If someone pays in cash for an odd job like the examples above - or even splitting a bill - some cash is always good to keep since you’ll never know when you need it.

You can’t Venmo a valet tip, or housekeeping staff tip, and plenty of persons in the service industry prefer cash tips.

I finally felt old when I had a friend who asked if I had Venmo to pay me back for a drink she didn’t pay for at a birthday event (I told her not to bother but she INSISTED). I said no so she mailed me a check for $20. lol

I rarely use it though. I’m sure it would have been a godsend back in college when splitting tabs, but now I’m not a broke bitch.

by Anonymousreply 71December 4, 2019 1:40 PM

[quote]You can’t Venmo a valet tip, or housekeeping staff tip, and plenty of persons in the service industry prefer cash tips.

i've SEEN this attempted and it is laughably awkward to do

by Anonymousreply 72December 4, 2019 1:47 PM

[quote] This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm 30, I have and prefer Paypal and Venmo, but I wouldn't say no to cash. Just put it in the ATM.

These precious little darlings don't understand how to make deposits in person, or how to fill out a deposit slip.

by Anonymousreply 73December 4, 2019 1:52 PM

Nice try r65 but I'm Black and I have a full head of hair.

by Anonymousreply 74December 4, 2019 2:02 PM

Young people like fees and to pay more for everything as long as it comes from an app.

by Anonymousreply 75December 4, 2019 2:04 PM

r70 what do you fry it on if you have no phone and do not work at a computer? I work in entertainment, I'm a crew person, there are no computers around unless I happen to be on a lot near the production office.

by Anonymousreply 76December 4, 2019 2:05 PM

Who thinks a phone needs to be lost in order for the data to be stolen?

by Anonymousreply 77December 4, 2019 2:15 PM

R72 - ha! I can imagine. Of course I guess I failed to realize that the Venmo-only crowd probably exclusively AirBNBs. “A hotel?! Huh?”

And let me say I use ApplePay wherever I can. Love it. I just have no scenarios in which Venmo does anything that really compliments my lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 78December 4, 2019 2:17 PM

r76 it only takes one phone call to fry your cell.

by Anonymousreply 79December 4, 2019 2:51 PM

Here in Norway nobody uses cash anymore.

by Anonymousreply 80December 4, 2019 2:58 PM

That's because you're such a small country that you just run a permanent tab, r80.

by Anonymousreply 81December 4, 2019 2:59 PM

The Ebonics totally threw me off. At Swarthmore? Poor kid is going to be trailed by this article for a long time. Hopefully he’s a computer science major. If he can code, no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 82December 4, 2019 3:11 PM

The people worried about your phones falling into the wrong hands, do you keep your phones unlocked?

You should always have your phone protected with some sort of password or fingerprint scan or whatever, not just leave it open for anyone to get into.

by Anonymousreply 83December 4, 2019 3:12 PM

Only a dolt wouldn't take cash. I suspect they can't make change.

by Anonymousreply 84December 4, 2019 3:18 PM

Friend got scanned while getting gas. Had to his accounts shut down. He 30 and said he will never not keep cash on hand ever again. Scared the crap out of him.

by Anonymousreply 85December 4, 2019 3:19 PM

Gas stations are the worst. However convenient, I try to never use a card at one. Twice had stolen charges.

In general, much prefer cash. I was in a lawsuit where I had to produce every card and transaction for two years to prove my location. Ever since, cash is king.

by Anonymousreply 86December 4, 2019 3:22 PM

R81 Most people here use debit cards, not credit cards. We use debit or vipps (the Norwegian venmo).

by Anonymousreply 87December 4, 2019 3:34 PM

Using debit cards is stupid because it affects your liquid if your card is compromised (or if you overdraw). Credit is far superior unless you're an idiot and charge what you can't afford.

This is why I am not pressed about gas station charge fraud/worry. If the credit is compromised, I shut the card down and the bank (Chase, Discover, whomever) covers the fraud.

by Anonymousreply 88December 4, 2019 3:41 PM

Yeah - I don’t understand why people use debit. Super dangerous - they can empty your bank account rather than just create charges you can dispute. Amex is worth it just for their security and false charge support.

by Anonymousreply 89December 4, 2019 3:49 PM

He gets paid to tutor his own sister, and then gets money for expenses at school?

And did ad copy bleed into the copy paste in OP's post or does Oliver menstruate?

"She sends Oliver money through Cash App to pay him for tutoring his younger sister in math twice weekly over FaceTime and to reimburse him for the cost of necessities while he’s at college, such as books and sports equipment and Tampex, for heavy flows. Prevent embarrassing spotting and get on with life."

by Anonymousreply 90December 4, 2019 3:53 PM

Do Venmo and Paypal charge fees? If not, how do they make money?

by Anonymousreply 91December 4, 2019 4:15 PM

There's a free level and then there are fees for specific types of money transfer. For example, if I link my bank account, I can pay someone drawing on my checking account, but if I prefer to pay using my credit card, there's a small fee. If I use PayPal's invoicing functionality, for some reason, there's a fee (a percentage of the amount I'm billing for), around 3% I think. I'm sure there are other fees and services.

by Anonymousreply 92December 4, 2019 4:18 PM

Are these kids not taking taxes into account? By the time I was 16 I was working 35-40hr weeks when in school and I consistently got nailed on taxes. Or any education past HS, if they incur any student loan debt they could lose everything. Just seems like there's way too many variables.

by Anonymousreply 93December 4, 2019 4:26 PM

The IRS is not going to audit a teenage babysitter or a Mexican house cleaners bank accounts r93

The IRS finds wouldn’t be worth the expense of investigating and collecting.

So, no, any person who accepts Venmo does not worry about taxes

by Anonymousreply 94December 4, 2019 4:33 PM

R94 What about twinky Insta-whores?

by Anonymousreply 95December 4, 2019 4:34 PM

“Finds” should be “fines” ^

by Anonymousreply 96December 4, 2019 4:34 PM

Maybe I've seen too many post apocalyptic movies, but all it takes is one solar flare and a cashless society is on it's knees crying like a bitch. Apple gadgets, what? I need a REAL apple to eat, goddamnit!

I'd make sweet tender love to that $50 in OP's story.

by Anonymousreply 97December 4, 2019 4:52 PM

Dang. ... on ITS knees crying like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 98December 4, 2019 4:53 PM

Does Venmo also send 1099 for tax reporting?

by Anonymousreply 99December 4, 2019 5:06 PM

No r99

by Anonymousreply 100December 4, 2019 5:12 PM

You kids better pay your taxes on that money you earn. There’s going to be a record of it. When people pay cash it’s not recorded. That’s why we used to work “under the table” jobs when we were younger. We got paid in cash & didn’t have to pay taxes because there was no record of it.

by Anonymousreply 101December 4, 2019 5:18 PM

[quote] The IRS is not going to audit a teenage babysitter or a Mexican house cleaners bank accounts [R93]

Unless they run for political office. It will get dug up in research.

by Anonymousreply 102December 4, 2019 5:20 PM

[quote] While Venmo’s security, encryption, and liabilities insurance ostensibly protect users from losses, they are easy to circumvent. After gaining access to a user’s account, hackers can easily change passwords, linked email addresses and bank accounts unbeknownst to the legitimate user. This allows the hacker to make transactions on an account and transfer a user’s Venmo balance to a new bank account. By changing the user’s linked email address, the hacker can reroute users' transaction notifications, leaving them in the dark until the bank notifies them of balance changes, which can be days after the theft. Stories of Venmo users losing up to $3,000 have been widely reported.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 4, 2019 5:20 PM

[quote] You kids better pay your taxes on that money you earn.

R101: Why should we? Our president doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 104December 4, 2019 5:21 PM

[quote] I'm 30, I have and prefer Paypal and Venmo, but I wouldn't say no to cash. Just put it in the ATM.

Or maybe spend it (cash) at a store, a coffee shop, etc.

Poorer neighborhoods use cash more. There's a McDonald's near me and I use cash there. The change (one dollar bills, five dollar bills, etc.) is always crumpled and dirty-looking. It almost makes me want to use my debit card.

In a more affluent neighborhood, the cash is cleaner (looking) and crisper.

by Anonymousreply 105December 4, 2019 5:49 PM

This is not a real story, it's an ad.

by Anonymousreply 106December 4, 2019 9:58 PM

It's an article in the Wall Street Journal. How is it an ad?

by Anonymousreply 107December 5, 2019 2:27 AM

I could understand this to some extent, as a 43 year old who currently doesn't drive (by choice for right now, I was diagnosed with epilepsy a few years ago, had a really bad accident during a particular seizure, now I'm scarred to drive). I work for myself, from home, and it's a pain in the ass to arrange trips to an ATM just to deposit cash into my account.

I've been using PayPal for years now to get paid for my work/services.

by Anonymousreply 108December 5, 2019 4:32 AM

Young People are tards.

by Anonymousreply 109December 5, 2019 5:46 AM

Seriously. Anyone who would refuse cash is a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 110December 5, 2019 5:50 AM

R108, why the fuck do you need to deposit cash into your account?

CASH IS FOR SPENDING, DUMBASS.

It's accepted everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 111December 5, 2019 5:52 AM

God, kids today are so picky and ungrateful. Who the fuck complains about being given cash, which is accepted everywhere? They’re acting like they’re being paid via Western Union.🙄

by Anonymousreply 112December 5, 2019 5:56 AM

We should just gas all of America's children.

by Anonymousreply 113December 5, 2019 5:58 AM

They don't want to walk around with cash in their pockets, it's understandable. You never know what could happen. With Venmo and the like, the money is right in your account immediately.

by Anonymousreply 114December 5, 2019 6:51 AM

R114 Oh no! How awful it would be to have to carry cash in your pockets! After all, people only did it for several centuries until just the last decade or two.🙄

by Anonymousreply 115December 5, 2019 7:03 AM

So what r115? Times change. There are more options now. Lots of people don't want to carry cash on them. They'd rather have it in their account. Nobody uses VHS tapes or DVDs anymore either.

by Anonymousreply 116December 5, 2019 7:13 AM

One thing that surprises me about DL is how many older gay men are so stuck in the past. You'd think they'd move with the times, but no. It's very odd. My straight, conservative relatives in their 60s and 70s are more in tune with the modern world and modern tech than many of the gay guys here who are the same age. It's rather shocking when you really think about it.

by Anonymousreply 117December 5, 2019 7:15 AM

r116, The fuck? people don't use DVDs anymore? I guess criterion collection and the like just print that shit for no reason then?

by Anonymousreply 118December 5, 2019 7:47 AM

People still watch DVDs? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 119December 5, 2019 7:53 AM

Yes r119. You have noticed that they still SELL dvds and cds right? Did you think they sold them because no one buys them anymore?

by Anonymousreply 120December 5, 2019 8:08 AM

Must be all the old Luddites who still use them.

by Anonymousreply 121December 5, 2019 8:10 AM

Where do they still sell Cds and DVDs? Haven't seen those in years. Must be Wal Mart-type place that I never go to.

by Anonymousreply 122December 5, 2019 8:11 AM

Barnes and noble, Amazon? You don't need to leave your house to know that they are still sold.

by Anonymousreply 123December 5, 2019 8:14 AM

R108 i heard PayPal only send 1099 for minimum of 20k received . So if less, how do you file income tax , if at all.tia

by Anonymousreply 124December 5, 2019 2:32 PM

R124 you simply state what your income is for your tax forms. No 1099 required.

by Anonymousreply 125December 5, 2019 2:40 PM

"How is this an ad"? Articles can ads. They advertise an alternative to what they claim is passé. They might have been influenced by the digital payment services. The writer might feel they have their finger on the pulse of a new trend. It's an idea a writer pitched or editor assigned.

by Anonymousreply 126December 5, 2019 5:31 PM

[quote]Hotel workers can be tipped to your bill. Doorman are tipped yearly.

Yeah, but no one dose that because you don't know who the tips go to in a hotel for example. Bellboys usually don't pool their tips. Valet attendants for small restaurant only take cash. Same for the guys at the car wash who hand dry your car. I just tipped 2 guys for installing an appliance, there was no way I could have charged that, the bill was already paid.

by Anonymousreply 127December 5, 2019 6:53 PM

I tried one of those minimal wallets that were very cool made out of metal and just big enough for ID. Didnt last long. Even though I could spot a folded 20, the catch was once I bough something with cash, suddenly I had a wad of bills that made it too big to carry. Plus, I would get recipes I need to hang on to which were like a foot long, no way to store those. And just getting money out really quick or putting it back was an involved process. Went back to a slim leather fold.

by Anonymousreply 128December 5, 2019 6:57 PM

I went to get some lunch at Tender Greens* in West Hollywood and they had a cashless machine. My wallet was in the car but I had a 20. When I offered to pay cash they looked at me like I had a third eye.

I told them to cancel my order but since they already made it, they gave it to me for free.

*Pretentious, overpriced, 'woke' food that's not even filling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 5, 2019 7:12 PM

While I find this ridiculous as a premise and posted above regarding taxation, in the name of public service there ARE in fact places that REFUSE to use cash.

The carwash I go to is an example and to me seems ridiculous bc it's not like they're not available to interact you or working remotely needing a third party for the transaction, but they're bitches like that, also wont take crypto, only CCs are accepted. Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 130December 5, 2019 7:54 PM

Under federal law, businesses can refuse to accept cash.

Under many state's laws, businesses cannot refuse to accept cash, and here state laws trump federal law.

Not everyone has access to alternatives to cash.

by Anonymousreply 131December 5, 2019 10:49 PM

My grandmother always gave me cash because she didn't know what to buy me. She really couldn't afford to, and I told her she didn't need to, but she did it anyway.

When are these kids going to understand the gift is more important than they are?

by Anonymousreply 132December 5, 2019 11:04 PM

Never, R132. It's been bred out of them. NOTHING is more important than them.

by Anonymousreply 133December 5, 2019 11:06 PM

R116 you're moron. I carry cash around every day. Never once had a problem.

And anyone who thinks it's a problem is a fucking moron and shouldn't be coddled.

Fine, they don't want cash for Christmas? They can fucking get NOTHING.

Spoiled Brats.

by Anonymousreply 134December 5, 2019 11:30 PM

Carrying cash is inherently riskier r134. You can lose it, get mugged etc.

by Anonymousreply 135December 5, 2019 11:38 PM

Perplexing. I almost never carry cash. I might take out some for tips to hotel staff when I travel. Otherwise, it’s all electronic payments. I don’t even write checks.

I’m 59.

by Anonymousreply 136December 5, 2019 11:47 PM

R111, you're the fucking DUMB ASS. Services like Uber/Lyft don't take CASH for payments. Do you seriously think you can order something from Amazon and pay with CASH? Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 137December 6, 2019 4:11 AM

As a young person, these people sound like idiots. I always prefer cash. Given the direction the government is heading in, with even First World Westernized countries becoming increasingly more authoritarian, I've grown more and more wary of digital currency. Reading The Handmaid's Tale has made me paranoid for life.

by Anonymousreply 138December 6, 2019 4:29 AM

[quote]"How is this an ad"?

Dude, the entirety of Fox News is nothing but one big ad.

Again, I'm going to laugh my ass off when all the electronic money gets jacked from their accounts by a hacker and then they try to get away from the stress of trying to fix that by watching one of the digital movies they don't own any physical copy of only to realize that those, too, have disappeared into the ether. And, then, the electricity goes out and they can't charge their phone and they all die.

by Anonymousreply 139December 6, 2019 4:38 AM

R137, so you're claiming that there is NO situation where someone could or would use cash In their day to day lives? Nobody grocery shops, eats, drinks, or buys weed?

Fuck off out of here you dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 140December 6, 2019 4:41 AM

Clumsy trolling r137

You can better than that

by Anonymousreply 141December 6, 2019 4:41 AM

39, I hate cash. Too easy to lose it. Filthy. Makes the wallet thicker. I like paying with my phone.

by Anonymousreply 142December 6, 2019 4:42 AM

You like Apple or Google knowing everything you spend money on, and having your every move tracked? Cool, cool.

by Anonymousreply 143December 6, 2019 4:43 AM

R143, don't forget that they also have all their banking and credit card information, too.

by Anonymousreply 144December 6, 2019 4:45 AM

The unbanked need cash. everyone else doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 145December 6, 2019 4:46 AM

r143, show me how it's ruined anyone's life and I'll change my mind.

by Anonymousreply 146December 6, 2019 4:46 AM

[quote]She sends Oliver money through Cash App to pay him for tutoring his younger sister in math twice weekly over FaceTime and to reimburse him for the cost of necessities while he’s at college, such as books and sports equipment and Tampex, for heavy flows.

Looks like Oliver became Olivia.

by Anonymousreply 147December 6, 2019 4:47 AM

For those of you hand-wringing about some dystopian catastrophe, you know all bank accounts will be useless in such an event? Even if you only use cash and nothing else, your accounts will also be gone.

by Anonymousreply 148December 6, 2019 4:49 AM

[quote]You like Apple or Google knowing everything you spend money on, and having your every move tracked? Cool, cool.

Your every move is already tracked. Your cell phone, cameras, satellites, cars etc.

And really, if Apple and Google know that I spent $14 at Duane Reade yesterday I really don't give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 149December 6, 2019 4:50 AM

These stupid cunts will be victims of scammers who want to borrow their phone to make a quick phone call coz they lost theirs etc...then the scammer will use it to transfer money to themselves etc. It's already happening...

by Anonymousreply 150December 6, 2019 4:54 AM

I feel bad for the generation of kids who never get change back from cash transaction, then put that change in a piggy bank or big jug, then one day when the venmo is empty can take that change down to the Coinstar and get $100 dollars or so for beer money.

by Anonymousreply 151December 6, 2019 4:54 AM

R147 Other way around, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 152December 6, 2019 4:56 AM

R146, do you understand the concept of "Yet"?

by Anonymousreply 153December 6, 2019 4:59 AM

r153, the Precautionary Principle is for losers like the Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 154December 6, 2019 5:03 AM

You mean the people who have better healthcare, better standards of living, longer life-spans, and are rated consistently happier than Americans? THOSE Europeans?

You call them losers? Seriously?

Americans are fucking whiny spoiled losers who are oblivious to how much better most other first word countries are than us.

by Anonymousreply 155December 6, 2019 5:05 AM

r155, Europe is doomed. If you don't see that, then you're retarded.

There's a reason no great companies arise from Europe anymore. LVMH is about it, and they just hawk garbage.

by Anonymousreply 156December 6, 2019 5:08 AM

East Asia minus sclerotic loser Japan is pretty much through with cash.

Sweden as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157December 6, 2019 5:10 AM

Smarter nations are going cashless.

I don't think we have the average IQ for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158December 6, 2019 5:13 AM

Yes, the Scandinavian countries are pretty much done with cash. Even the ancient elderly people are doing everything electronically now. This won't happen in the US for another 25 years at least.

by Anonymousreply 159December 6, 2019 5:13 AM

America is behind in everything now. Except for destructive tech like Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 160December 6, 2019 5:16 AM

It won't be long before the microchips are implanted in our foreheads or hands...

by Anonymousreply 161December 6, 2019 5:26 AM

R156, if you don't see that the USA is doomed, you're really, really blind.

by Anonymousreply 162December 6, 2019 5:39 AM

r162, did I say that? Of course America is doomed. Our new masters will manage things.

by Anonymousreply 163December 6, 2019 5:46 AM

Well, the only time I want to give a young person cash is if it's a guy, and he's willing to get naked and blow me for it.

No way I'm using Zelle or Check for THAT transaction.

by Anonymousreply 164December 6, 2019 6:00 AM

What do you do when your phone is broken or dies? I mean, you're out for the day (that's probably a mistake since they really don't leave their bedrooms) and drop your phone and bust the screen out. Do you just go home? Oops, forgot, you can't get home because you don't drive and you can't get an Uber without your phone either. Hm.

Imbeciles.

by Anonymousreply 165December 6, 2019 6:10 AM

What do you do when your wallet is stolen? What do you do when you're out of cash?

by Anonymousreply 166December 6, 2019 6:19 AM

r165 = old, bitter and out of touch Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 167December 6, 2019 6:19 AM

Phones lose charge and screens break a lot more often than people have their wallets stolen.

R167 can't actually answer the question, though, because he's never left his mom's basement. Anyone else care to answer? And, I'm Gen X, ya unoriginal imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 168December 6, 2019 6:22 AM

Ok Greta @R167

by Anonymousreply 169December 6, 2019 6:26 AM

Sweden got rid of cash and all currency. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 170December 6, 2019 6:30 AM

What would have happened throughout Europe during WWII if no one had cash? People are too quick to jump on the shiniest new bandwagon. Society is accelerating at an unsustainable rate and is becoming like a car going out of control.

by Anonymousreply 171December 6, 2019 6:35 AM

Also Gen X, have two homes and have never had any issues with being cashless. Honestly, you people sound like the idiots in the 90s who were railing against cell phones and the internet, saying that they would be the downfall of civilization.

by Anonymousreply 172December 6, 2019 6:36 AM

The US is really falling behind the rest of the first world because Americans are so stubborn and have to be dragged kicking and screaming into change. The Northern European countries are basically cashless now and have had no problems. It's simplified things.

by Anonymousreply 173December 6, 2019 6:39 AM

[quote]What do you do when your phone is broken or dies? I mean, you're out for the day (that's probably a mistake since they really don't leave their bedrooms) and drop your phone and bust the screen out.

You continue with your day until you can get your phone replaced. It's not rocket science.

[quote]Do you just go home? Oops, forgot, you can't get home because you don't drive and you can't get an Uber without your phone either. Hm.

So what do people without smartphones who don't drive do, then?

by Anonymousreply 174December 6, 2019 6:43 AM

They call cabs. You know those cars with the numbers on them.

by Anonymousreply 175December 6, 2019 6:46 AM

This is scaring me 😱

by Anonymousreply 176December 6, 2019 6:50 AM

R174, if the only way they have to pay for anything is with their phone, how do they just continue their day out? And I find it hilarious that you think these people who are so dependent on their phones have the life skills to do things without those phones. Have you seen these people? They are ridiculous. They'd have no idea how to call a cab with their dead phone in their hand staring at them.

by Anonymousreply 177December 6, 2019 6:50 AM

Good luck finding a pay phone to call a cab.

by Anonymousreply 178December 6, 2019 6:50 AM

Op is evil.

“She sends Oliver money through Cash App to pay him for tutoring his younger sister in math twice weekly over FaceTime and to reimburse him for the cost of necessities while he’s at college, such as books and sports equipment and Tampex, for heavy flows. Prevent embarrassing spotting and get on with life. Oliver uses Venmo with his friends.”

by Anonymousreply 179December 6, 2019 6:51 AM

r177 there are also credit cards and debit cards. Most people still have those, you know. It's just cash that people don't carry with them anymore. Or if they do have cash it's just a token amount, like $10. That just sits in their wallet and is never used.

by Anonymousreply 180December 6, 2019 6:51 AM

Do cabs even take cash anymore?

by Anonymousreply 181December 6, 2019 6:52 AM

Who the fuck ARE you people who are still paying cash for everything? DL is like some weird Twilight Zone sometimes. Even my 60-something aunts and uncles are paying for shit with their phones or at the very least with their cards. Maybe it's a class/regional thing, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 182December 6, 2019 6:54 AM

Venmo sounds delicious.

by Anonymousreply 183December 6, 2019 7:02 AM

I'm an ancient codger who pretty much only uses cash for my barber and thd occasional tip.

by Anonymousreply 184December 6, 2019 7:07 AM

I don't think anyone has mentioned the most important aspect of paying for a lot of the everyday things with cash. Budget. People spend way more when it's some nebulous credit card or phone app than if they pay cold hard cash for it. There's some mental disconnect with people using credit to pay for things. It's almost like magic money to them. I'd actually assume that with your phone it's even worse than with a credit card. Even the act of pulling the credit card out makes more psychological impact than waving your phone at a cashier.

Maybe that explains some of the anti-cash people on here. They've never had to budget because they either have a lot of money or mommy pays for everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185December 6, 2019 7:16 AM

Another article about spending less when you use cash...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 6, 2019 7:18 AM

My favorite breakfast place which is packed every day with a line of people coming out the door and maybe 100 seats only takes cash! They have a shitty ATM machine by the bathroom if you suddenly discover you only have cards. They are defiantly not taking apple pay.

by Anonymousreply 187December 6, 2019 7:24 AM

R140. Many restaurants are going cashless these days. I don't buy weed. And yes, you can use your bank card to buy groceries. Some grocery stores even offer to deliver your groceries to you. Keep trying, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 188December 6, 2019 9:27 AM

Kids these days! They don't know the value of things like MY generation did.

by Anonymousreply 189December 6, 2019 9:31 AM

R175, people in suburban/rural areas can't just walk out of their house and hail a taxi. Many taxi drivers specifically won't go out to those areas, but rather prefer to hang around airports and downtown areas.

by Anonymousreply 190December 6, 2019 9:31 AM

R185, I find it the other way around, actually. If I order my groceries online, for example, I don't make impulse buys like I might when browsing the grocery store. That more than justifies the nominal cost of having them delivered. My bank also offers tracking on my spending, both on my phone and computer.

by Anonymousreply 191December 6, 2019 9:35 AM

I'm a millennial and I don't pay for ANYTHING with my phone. I use cards almost exclusively, but I still take cash if offered. One of the reasons most of us use card so much is because most places have stopped taking cash. It's also easier than fishing the money out of your wallet and struggling to collect the change you get back.

by Anonymousreply 192December 6, 2019 11:40 AM

A mostly cashless society is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 193December 6, 2019 2:42 PM

My barbershop is regularly listed as one of the best in the United States: long history, great clientele and location. It's in a college town, so easily 60 - 65% of the customers are under age 25. Given the wait times - worse than usual last week and the week before last just before the Thanksgiving break - they're busy. There are two or three ATM's within 200 feet, so getting $20 or $30 out of a machine is not impossible. They're not losing any business because they don't take Venmo. They don't take credit cards, either. If you want to get your hair cut at the best place in town, you need cash.

And yes, it's a mindset, but to see someone in line at the supermarket use a credit or debit card or Apple Pay to buy a small (cafeteria size - 8 oz) carton of milk makes me sad. They can't afford to pay for a little tiny container of milk with American money? I want to give them a dollar and tell them to keep the 41 cents change.

And, btw: how many people here have been mugged and had cash stolen? How many people have lost or broken a phone? Not sure where you live, but I'm guessing the latter far outnumber the former. I've never been mugged, but I've lost one phone and broken another and more than once have had an un-lost and un-broken phone in my hand that didn't work, whether because it was out of a charge or out of range. Thde cash in my pocket still did, though.

FINALLY: If indeed "Struggling" (R192) "to collect the change you get back" is a true statement, you don't know what the word struggling means.

by Anonymousreply 194December 6, 2019 2:43 PM

[quote]people in suburban/rural areas can't just walk out of their house and hail a taxi. Many taxi drivers specifically won't go out to those areas, but rather prefer to hang around airports and downtown areas.

That's your logic, that's you're comeback? Well guess what. They're even less likely to have Uber drivers. What they do have is neighbors and a second vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 195December 6, 2019 3:20 PM

I remember being at a wine bar back in 2007 and since I had some cash in my wallet I decided to pay my tab with that instead of my card. The lady sitting next to me said "wow, I haven't seen that in a while. Do you always pay in cash?" And that was way back in 2007!

by Anonymousreply 196December 6, 2019 3:32 PM

Excellent point R196. People thought cash would be gone because of debit cards. Nope. Jesus people thought pennies would be gone by 2000. Nope, still in existence.

Folks in the Bay Area learned the wisdom of keeping cash on hand this wildfire season. Cash will continue.

by Anonymousreply 197December 6, 2019 3:43 PM

It's only a matter of time before we have a cashless society, for better or worse. It's inevitable. After the Boomers are gone, cash will be extinct, just like newspapers. I don't know anyone younger than the Boomer generation who still uses cash on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 198December 6, 2019 4:09 PM

Cash is trash

by Anonymousreply 199December 6, 2019 4:11 PM

What do hipster young people do when they travel to adventure locations like Nepal and India. are they trying to use their phone to buy street food?

by Anonymousreply 200December 6, 2019 4:49 PM

They carry cash to those places, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 201December 6, 2019 4:56 PM

Oh, so cash will still exist in some countries but not others.

So cash will still exist.

Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 202December 6, 2019 4:58 PM

I just got back from Vietnam and Cambodia. I used cards almost everywhere

by Anonymousreply 203December 6, 2019 5:01 PM

Almost anywhere. Almost.

by Anonymousreply 204December 6, 2019 5:05 PM

"Almost" = 10-15% of the time

by Anonymousreply 205December 6, 2019 5:07 PM

It's easier to pay via a bank card. Most banks these days allow categorize and track your spending, and set monthly budgets - notifying you in advance if you're getting close to your allotted amounts by months end. It's much easier than carrying around cash to pay for everything, and making mental notes of what you're spending your money on. Most online services these days don't even allow you to "pay by check" anymore.

Due to being self employed and working on projects for clients remotely, all my income comes in via PayPal, which I then transfer to my bank. Honestly, the only times I take a little bit of cash out at the ATM is when I'm hanging out with others, to chip in for pizza, beer, split a bill if we're all just getting appetizers, etc...

by Anonymousreply 206December 6, 2019 6:25 PM

How are you guys buying your weed if you don't use cash. Here in Arizona I can't use a card at the marijuana shop so must have cash.

by Anonymousreply 207December 6, 2019 6:28 PM

My bookies only accept cash (and the US government as collateral).

by Anonymousreply 208December 6, 2019 6:28 PM

This reminds me of an incident several years ago at an Ohio turnpike, when they started accepting debit/credit cards. The lady working the toll booth literally bitched me out for using my bank card, making a smart ass remark at me saying something long the lines of "oh sure, you can pay by card, and we'll just back up all the other cars behind you...". Bitch, you wasted more time lecturing me when all you had to do was just swipe the fucking card and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 209December 6, 2019 6:30 PM

Of course cash will still exist in other countries r202. You think everybody and their mother in East Timbuktu is going to have Apple Pay in a few years? Cash's days are numbered in the First World, however. I think the US will probably be the last First World country to go totally cashless, though. We are a nation of Luddite idiots most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 210December 6, 2019 7:05 PM

If you don't accept cash, you can swipe in one hand and spit in the other and see which fills first.

by Anonymousreply 211December 6, 2019 7:14 PM

R210 Wise up. Those were rhetorical questions designed to make you admit that this is a global situation and not confined to your self directed anecdotal world view. In other words, trying to get you to admit that cash will continue.

Thanks for playing

by Anonymousreply 212December 6, 2019 7:16 PM

r212 this conversation is about cash in the US. Of course cash will continue in less developed countries. Nobody on this thread said that cash would go the way of the dinosaur on a worldwide level, but thanks for putting words in everybody else's mouths.

And you're not nearly as intelligent as you think you are, you just come off as a total unlikable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 213December 6, 2019 7:47 PM

This conversation is whatever any of us chose to make of it. I couldn't care less if you "like" me. Likeable? What are you in high school and looking for a date for homecoming? Who gives a rats ass about being "likable." Did you flip your hair just before you posted, Judy?

I was intelligent enough to sucker you in with an old trick.

by Anonymousreply 214December 6, 2019 8:41 PM

But you didn't, r214. Neither I nor anyone else said the entire world would be going cashless. You made it sound like we were talking about the whole world going cashless, which we did not. So you're a fucking idiot. Game over.

by Anonymousreply 215December 6, 2019 8:43 PM

Would people please refrain from using the c word?

by Anonymousreply 216December 6, 2019 8:43 PM

Oh r216 honey, you're on the wrong forum!

by Anonymousreply 217December 6, 2019 8:44 PM

It's like RuPaul thinks he's fooling us with Courage, Uniqueness, Nerve, Talent. You guys could use motherfucker or asshole or bitch or something besides c*nt.

by Anonymousreply 218December 6, 2019 8:47 PM

Cunt is a staple of DL.

by Anonymousreply 219December 6, 2019 8:48 PM

R150 as a “crazy cunt” who has been a Cybersecurity engineer and developer for 30 years, this happens for only a couple of reasons:

- lack of basic security on the device and banking application All banking apps offer 2 factor authentication on mobile devices. This is a combination of biometrics and a PIN in many cases. Some apps reverify biometrics at launch, with a fingerprint or facial scan.

- lack of basic security awareness. I agree with you about not letting anyone have access to your mobile device. The same is true for any computer. It’s also what’s behind so much ransomware and application fraud: users assume an email with a friends name must be that friend.

The payload in the message passively installs malware that looks for banking information on your computer. This can be poorly secured networks and web browsers that don’t clear your credentials and session information.

The risk of a rando is pretty low.. Apps that support express transit also provide an authentication and activity trail that can be emailed to you. Usually, the only app authorized for PIN-less transactions is the cash card. Transit apps are those you see in some stores, and allow you to pay with your phone.

It should go without saying to not keep a large balance on them.

by Anonymousreply 220December 6, 2019 10:55 PM

Who are all these freaks that never use cash? I use it every day. Everyone I know does. All ages.

And none of my nephews or nieces would ever even think of saying no to a cash gift.

by Anonymousreply 221December 8, 2019 8:05 PM

I have no sympathy for millennials and their ilk. Zero fucks to give about their job-seeking plights, and their "I'll never own my own home" caterwauling. Zero fucks. Sink or swim, like every cohort that proceeded you.

by Anonymousreply 222December 8, 2019 8:13 PM

whoops, 'preceded', not 'proceeded'.

by Anonymousreply 223December 8, 2019 8:14 PM

[quote] I use it every day. Everyone I know does.

No one under the age of 45 uses cash "every day"

by Anonymousreply 224December 8, 2019 8:14 PM

Because they can't afford to buy things?

I didn't know it was that bad...

by Anonymousreply 225December 8, 2019 9:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!