Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I had a job interview today

As I was walking out at the end, I was told that I am a candidate for the job but should also explore other opportunities since there is a good market for my skills. I am not sure what to think. If I sucked, it seems I would not have been told that.

by Anonymousreply 72January 12, 2020 2:50 AM

You're out, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2019 9:09 PM

How many people did you interview with? If I’m one of four interviewers and I like a candidate, but know that I am not the final decision maker, I might say something like that. It might be an indication that the interviewer likes you, but hates the job.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2019 9:09 PM

OP, you’re not getting the job.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2019 9:10 PM

Send a thank you letter to the interviewers, email is fine. Restate your qualifications without being whiny and petulant.

Have someone else read it to make sure it's appropriate and professional. I've received a lot of whiny emails from disappointed candidates. They never get called back for future openings.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 9:12 PM

That is what I originally thought, R1, and asked what her reservations were so I could use that as constructive criticism. She said I was still a candidate.

4 people interviewed me, R2. I am not sure who makes the final decision. I asked all if they had any reservations about my qualifications and no one had any. The company is going through some rocky times right now (people leaving) and considered that it may have been a warning.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 9:17 PM

OP-Sorry OP, it's a no. Send an upbeat thank you note mentioning their encouraging comment.

Congratulations on completing the interview. I know a lot of people who wuss out before they even finish the on-line application. It's not easy. Learn from it, you'll get a better job.

Maybe the interviewer liked you a lot and wanted to save you from a shit job/boss/company.

Yeah! They did YOU a favor by not hiring you. Fuck Them.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 9:21 PM

I will be writing some tonight, R4. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 9:23 PM

^Also, you never know what the deal is. Sometimes jobs get approved, but the budget for them does not. Companies interview now and then hire 6 months later. Other times it's political but they have to interview 3 people anyway. It's not you, it's them. Good Luck

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 9:25 PM

It might be a way of telling you that they think you're overqualified for the job, or they aren't going to offer you a competitive salary for your skill set, that you could likely get elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2019 9:26 PM

If they are losing people it is even more likely that the interviewer was being purposely encouraging and didn’t want you to worry about not getting a job in the dump they are currently stuck in.

You should never worry about not getting any single job - there are too many reasons that have nothing to do with you. You should worry if there is a pattern of you getting interviews, but no offers.

You probably did fine, but probably aren’t getting that job.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2019 9:35 PM

Thanks for the words, YBF. This is a pain in the ass. I liked the people I spoke with today and the company. I had hoped it would work out.

That could be true, too, R9. I am in the process of taking the CPA exams. I know no one in that accounting department has a license. I hope this is not a sign of what lays ahead. I am taking them to show prospective employers my accounting knowledge is current since my work experience and formal education is 10- 15 years ago. I am trying to reenter the field. This position would have been a great way.

Thanks for the encouragement, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2019 9:43 PM

OP, I have a feeling bigger things are on your horizon. You have a job waiting for you somewhere. Patience.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2019 9:50 PM

R9-Very astute, regarding salary. Also, non-licensed accountants are often threatened by CPA's.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2019 10:47 PM

OP— this happened to me a month ago and I took it to mean I did not get the job but I was wrong so you never know

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2019 11:51 PM

Damn, OP, I feel you. I just found out I didn’t get the stripper job at Bubba’s Bar today.

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2019 11:59 PM

R10, that was a good comment. OP, don’t be discouraged.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2019 12:07 AM

"What does that mean?" should be an automatic response to cryptic statements.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 12:11 AM

I dont like when people on interview panels offer unsolicited career or life advice.

Bitch, you are here to ask the questions on the paper and find a suitable candidate for your position. You aren't God!

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 12:19 AM

You didn't get this position but at least you scored the interview , it's good practice .

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2019 12:32 AM

Translation: They aren't sure if the person they want will accept the low ball salary offer they intend to make, so if they can't get the person they want for the price they want they will call you.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2019 12:47 AM

R20, is the position already filled by an insider and the interviews are just a show to prove they really looked for the best candidates ?

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2019 12:52 AM

Op, stay positive, send a nice thank you note stressing your interest in the position again. If this role doesn't work out, they might call you for another one.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 12:53 AM

OP are you in a protected job class ? ( over 40, ethnic , disabled ) The other candidates were they white?

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2019 12:58 AM

"We're just not that into you."

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2019 1:00 AM

On my way out of an interview, I was told 'the candidates were not that great'. I worked a shitty per diem gig and lost wages to make that meeting only to be insulted to my face, I was speechless and had no response.

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 10:20 AM

You should’ve told them to withdraw your application on the spot. I don’t let people insult me in interviews. It’s a buyers market right now.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2019 10:30 AM

R15, Jumbo’s Clown Room.

Tell ‘em Udders sent ya.

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2019 11:17 AM

I think it means they already hired for the position; maybe someone from within the company or an H1B foreign worker.

They have to do the interview for legal reasons, but thought you did a good job and feel bad they can’t hire you.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2019 11:32 AM

If I'm interviewing someone and we hit it off, I tend to look at what would be best for them. I don't want an unhappy employee. I'm the same way with people that I work with who happen to report to me.

It's probably bad management, but I always put people ahead of employers.

This person might be contemplating being on the other side of the table and simply complementing your credentials and performance.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2019 12:32 PM

OP, are you that naive? He was pointing at his bulge when he said you "should also explore other opportunities" then he motioned to your mouth when he said "there is a good market for your skills." You had the job if you just followed through!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 12:50 PM

Don’t take it personally. I used to do the hiring for a mid-sized company. I honestly had no stock in the company and didn’t plan to be there more than 5 years. I only hired good looking guys who were open to my subtle flirting during the interview. I passed over average-looking, well-qualified guys and women, in order to hire “young, dumb, and full of cum.” I guess I got a “high” off of these hot guys falling all over me and kissing my ass to get the job. The call to them letting them know was my favorite part.

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2019 1:02 PM

That is pretty fucked up, R31. Looks are a desirable attribute and somewhat in our control, so favoring generally attractive candidates isn’t that bad. But discriminating against older candidates and women is wrong. Did you have a preferred ethnicity too? What if an applicant was in a wheelchair or had cerebral palsy?

What kind of business was it? I think if you were hiring at a bank or law firm and preferred white guys it’s worse than if you were hiring at a business with pretty decent diversity and you liked black, Asian, and Latino guys. Still wrong, though.

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2019 1:24 PM

R32, R31 is pulling your leg.

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2019 3:09 PM

I think you very well may be right that you were being warned away. It's concerning that many people have left. I would really get into the bottom of why they have split. Maybe there were some financial problems that have been resolved. Or maybe the place a dysfunctional dump. Check out the Glassdoor reviews if there are any. Yeah, there are always some Negative Nancys there, but read enough reviews and you see a pattern. If your skills are truly in demand, then you can pass on opportunities until you find something that feels like a great fit.

by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2019 3:25 PM

R32 - I’m only attracted to white males in their 20s-30s so that was who got hired. I never interviewed special needs employees. I never hired a single woman in 4 and a half years of hiring.

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2019 3:40 PM

I would interpret that as a warning, especially in the context of lots of people leaving recently.

It takes balls, but during most interviews they ask you if you have any questions for them, and I've always thought a good question would be "What would you want to know about this job and company if you were me?"

You can tell A LOT from the answers to a question like that.

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2019 3:55 PM

They’re trying to tell you that it’s horrible place to work, and with your skills you can and should go look for a job somewhere else.

Actually really nice of them.

by Anonymousreply 37December 5, 2019 4:04 PM

Anyone else surprised he asked if they had reservations?!?!

I would NEVER ask that! AWKWARD!

What polite answer could they possibly give but “No”?

At best you would seem needy/insecure. At worst you’re pressuring them for an immediate answer because you’re too impatient.

That would be like ending a date and saying: “So, how do you like me?”

Or watching the host open a present and asking “do you want it?”

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 38December 5, 2019 4:11 PM

OP, I believe they were impressed with you. I also believe they very well may have already decided on a candidate, and you presented them with a dilemma, so they said yes, you're qualified and you're perfect, but we've already made our minds up so while it's not happening here you'll be fine somewhere else. It was a brush off.

What I used to hate most was getting all prepared for an interview, only to discover that (1) the HR department was going through the motions because they already decided to go with someone from inhouse, or (2) they were interviewing to compile "an eligible roster" but couldn't really hire because of budget constraints, or (3) The operating department was interviewing, trying to bypass HR so HR made a stink and sort of froze the process.

by Anonymousreply 39December 5, 2019 4:21 PM

This interview was during the recession.  I really needed the job because at the time, I was temping for a project that paid way below my previous earnings and I could not make ends meet on the lowballed wages the staffing agency paid. Missing work to make that interview meant my small temp paycheck was even smaller,  ( time = $$, literally)

When I heard that idiotic remark, I was too stunned to tell this person: "I am desperate not stupid.  I will not consider working for someone who can't even pretend to be respectful during an interview".

Why call in candidates who are "not that great" unless you're a masochist who enjoys wasting your time or a SADIST who wants to waste other's time and have the pleasure of insulting them too? I wasn't entitled to the job  because I met for an interview with that freak but I was entitled to courtesy.

r35 is a shitbag but he is telling the truth.He is also a liability in the hastag metoo era.

by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2019 11:39 PM

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2019 12:15 AM

Listen you shit heads, it means he’s in the running for the position but there are other candidates who may be stronger. Read into it dumb asses.

1. You are a candidate: OP is presently a candidate, nobody said he wasn’t.

2. He has great talent continue to look, we may already have a candidate or hire but if they don’t work out we could contact you. Don’t just wait on us.

by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2019 1:13 AM
by Anonymousreply 43December 7, 2019 2:33 PM

Not a problem for me. I'm happily retired.

by Anonymousreply 44December 7, 2019 2:36 PM

OP, it means you're the adequate candidate on paper but meeting you didn't "click" with the employers. They're encouraging you nonetheless because you should be able to find a job, still - just not with them.

Their focusing on your skills says something about your personality and/or your personability. Too uptight or too relaxed? How well do you know yourself? Have you explored areas outside of the professional where you can develop who you are? Seems key here.

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2019 2:36 PM

🙅 Do you REALLY need us to explain it to you?

🚷 [italic] You may be qualified, but, quite frankly, we don't want you. Now move along and look elsewhere."

by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2019 2:40 PM

It sucks OP. Hope u get a call back at least.

by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2019 2:58 PM

You may be too old to get hired. Younger guys are more energetic and cheaper. I just don’t see it happening for you in a serious job field.

by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2019 3:17 PM

I agree with R10. I have been on the hiring side and there are lots of things going on behind the scenes. I would guess that the comment means that you are not going to get the job because the manager probably already has someone else in mind (probably from within the organization) and they are required to go through the process for the sake of making it look fair.

But by going through the process, they often find talent that surprised them. Take the comment as a compliment and keep moving forward. Sometimes when you make a good impression on the folks who didn't hire you, they will refer you to someone else who has a better opportunity for you.

by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2019 3:38 PM

He's not getting a call back in this round. They like him...but not enough. They may keep his resume around in case something falls through, or something opens up down the road. But they'll only keep it for six months, if that. Been there, done that. I worked in HR. And yes, we always had to fight with the operating department because they would try to bypass the process by recruiting independent of HR. That's not advised. We will fuck you up.

by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2019 3:40 PM

R50, I love a strong HR department! Don't take any shit off of anybody!

by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2019 3:43 PM

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I sent the interviewers note cards to thank them for taking the time to interview me. Hopefully, I will find an accounting job soon.

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2019 4:49 PM

OP I know how you feel. I interviewed for two different jobs at the same organization 2 1/2 weeks ago and got my rejections today. On one hand I was pissed because I have YEARS of experience in this field, won numerous company awards at two of the places I’ve worked, and graduated college with highest honors. So for me not to even get one of the two positions available really pissed me off because these positions weren’t exactly rocket science. On the other hand, however, they offered a shitty amount of vacation time and it was a small place that probably didn’t have much room for growth anyway, so I didn’t really care.

Hang in there. We’ll both find something good soon!

by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2019 1:26 AM

Enter talking..

by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2019 1:35 AM

It sounds kind of encouraging. What time did they say it in? Replay it back in your mind. Now lock into it as if you said it. Notice the tempo, was it upbeat? Encouraging? Was it vague, shady like hiding negative emotions.

Do the emotional detective work and you will answer it for yourself. Had you been that person saying that what would you have meant?

To me it sounds like they know you could do other things better than that job.

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2019 2:40 AM

Maybe you didn’t get hired, because you have the face of an embezzler?

by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2019 3:22 AM

One thing I have found. If you're super qualified and have tons of great experience, etc. literally perfect for the job, you probably won't get it. They will be too intimidated by you. Your supervisor will be afraid you will out shine them, be smarter and more capable, etc. It's true. Sometimes when you go to an interview, you need to take a few steps back and act very self effacing, and easily managed.

by Anonymousreply 57December 10, 2019 3:48 AM

OP, if you are older than the typical applicant and you are applying for a standard accountant-type role at a generic firm, I don’t think snail mail thank you notes are a good idea. It highlights your age.

I’m not trying to be a dick, I just don’t think you should do that in the future.

by Anonymousreply 58December 13, 2019 12:14 PM

R57 is right. I did that when applying to jobs that needed little qualifications yet a lot of human skills. The manager just needed to know I was going to be manageable, and not make a fuss. It went fine. He told me that profiles like mine usually didn't stay long because the pay was low and the job was hard. He was right.

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2019 5:41 PM

OP, if you're an accountant, then you will get hired. Someday, somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2019 5:43 PM

If you can’t get hired in this labor market, then maybe the problem lies with you.

by Anonymousreply 61December 14, 2019 6:16 PM

You seem older. Just get an unskilled job at a high end grocery store or similar. Live off your paycheck and supplement with savings and downsize/live simply. You’ll be much happier .

by Anonymousreply 62December 14, 2019 7:24 PM

There are plenty of jobs but the offered wages are not aligned with the cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 63December 22, 2019 2:23 PM

I'm so out of practice I can't even turn tricks.

No one seems to want to hire anyone over the age of 27.

by Anonymousreply 64December 22, 2019 2:31 PM

R61 really? Omg 😱 There is something very special waiting for him. Never give up. You will find a job, and they will see your worth. Never give up!

by Anonymousreply 65December 23, 2019 12:05 AM

I have an email marketing job interview tomorrow with a major international hotel conglomerate in US and Canada.

What kind of questions should I expect?

by Anonymousreply 66January 6, 2020 10:55 PM

They think you're too good for them. Are you overqualified? They might think that if they hire you, you're just going to bail when you get a better offer.

by Anonymousreply 67January 6, 2020 10:58 PM

Really R50? This is why people hate HR. It is a skilless job that is populated with busybodys who go into the field because they love to gossip.

I work in IT and in most of my jobs, I had to work with HR. They were really horrible people. Your post proves that your a dick.

by Anonymousreply 68January 7, 2020 4:11 PM

I had a phone interview booked today with a major corporation. It was booked through a booking app. 10AM today. Verified via email through the company recruiter. I waited and waited. No phone call. Is this how it works? They book you and forget about it? I wasn't instructed to call them. Which would be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 69January 7, 2020 7:49 PM

Yes, r69. No phone call after confirmation by email is your answer.

by Anonymousreply 70January 7, 2020 11:27 PM

I rebooked the interview on their app. Maybe this time they'll remember.

by Anonymousreply 71January 8, 2020 2:18 AM

R71 here. I had my interview. It went well.

by Anonymousreply 72January 12, 2020 2:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!