Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My grandma called me fake/phony

I'm still a little upset and confused. She says that I have been acting fake whenever I come visit her ever since I moved town. WTF?? She also said that I don't care about the family or her and that I'm selfish and detached. I've been going over to my grandparents' house weekly and calling them to check in because they said that I wasn't calling enough a few months ago. So I figured I should spend more time with them since I've been busy lately.... apparently the fun I thought we were having together has been one sided. I feel so fucking awful... I can't deal with this.

by Anonymousreply 55December 18, 2019 6:21 PM

Do they have money? If not, problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2019 6:23 PM

Well, you obviously don't agree with her. However, might she be right?

You should ask her as nicely as possible:

- what prompted her to say this to you now.

- has she always felt this way or is it something that's happened recently.

- does she want you to continue to visit or would she rather you stopped.

It sounds more like a power trip on her part. Does her past behavior suggest that she's trying to manipulate you? Is she angling for you to "do" something or "be there" for someone else in the family? It sounds like she's setting you up in some manner - does someone else in the family need something or perhaps someone else has gone to her to ask her to "make" you do something which you've already declined to do.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2019 6:26 PM

Isn't there a mental health professional you can pay to pretend to care about this, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2019 6:30 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 6:33 PM

I'm sorry, OP. That was hard to hear, I'm sure. But there's no way to really assess the situation. We can't see how you actually are with your grandparents when you're with them. It could be that she's being irrational and crazy. Or, it could be that she has a point.

When you visit them, are you constantly checking your phone? Maybe you're used to hanging with younger people who don't care, but older people hate that. You said you're busy- when you visit, are you preoccupied with other things that are going on? Do you sort of act like you're doing them a favor visiting them, rather than just because you want to?

Not accusing you of ANY of these things, OP. But just try to imagine your visits from her perspective. Sounds like you've got a busy, full life. Maybe she envies your youth.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 6:38 PM

This time I'd recommend you leave your bejewelled cigarette holder and maribou boa at home.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 6:39 PM

Dementia?

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 6:42 PM

Maybe onset dementia - don't take it to heart. Just keep doing what you are doing.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 6:42 PM

My mom said something similar to me when I was 19 or 20. It was at a time when I was infatuated with glamour and dismissive of low-brow culture and I came across as a pretentious snob, which I kind of was/am. Although now, I'm MUCH more enamored of low- brow culture. I used to be all 'darling I love you but give me Park Ave and now I'm all, goodbye city life.'

Did you miss an important holiday or event?

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2019 6:45 PM

[quote] She says that I have been acting fake whenever I come visit her ever since I moved town. WTF?? She also said that I don't care about the family or her and that I'm selfish and detached.

She's mad because you "moved town." Maybe you are acting different, picking up different speech patterns, wearing different fashions, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2019 6:51 PM

OP, cut this trash out of your life and never look back.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2019 6:56 PM

OP, cut this trash out of your life and never look back.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2019 6:56 PM

Grandma sounds like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2019 6:58 PM

Grandma, you're older now, you've got a plastic hip.... and now I've got the baseball bat!

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2019 7:04 PM

When’s the last time you ate grandma out?

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2019 8:47 PM

Ask her if she'd prefer you didn't come round and see what the reaction is.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2019 8:48 PM

omg, so many clueless cunts on DL lately...all the stupid questions!

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2019 8:50 PM

Always visit relatives in your hometown in old clothes. If you look too prosperous, they'll be jealous or think you're puttin' on airs,

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2019 8:52 PM

Cancel the bitch. Who needs that. Ghost her during the holidays and if she asks where you’ve been just say, “Yeah, life is hard enough without being attacked by my grandmother.”

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2019 8:55 PM

It sounds like you are going out of your way to pay attention to them and show them they are important to you, which not all grandchildren would do. I’m sorry she said something so hurtful. I think it can be very difficult getting older, and sometimes people end up feeling left out and sort of irrelevant, and they take it out on innocent bystanders. As long as you are acting in good faith and trying to be kind, that is all you can do. You can’t make them appreciative and there is no guarantee (ever) that anything you do will be understood in the spirit you intend it. They are lucky to have a family member who loves and cares about them!

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2019 9:00 PM

Sounds like something my boderline personality disordered mom would say.

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2019 9:00 PM

Sometimes depression expresses itself as anger or irritability.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2019 9:04 PM

Maybe it's political. Do you mute the tv when they're watching Hannity?

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2019 10:57 PM

[quote]My mom said something similar to me when I was 19 or 20. It was at a time when I was infatuated with glamour and dismissive of low-brow culture and I came across as a pretentious snob, which I kind of was/am.

Appreciate your honesty r9.

OP, are you acting like grand bitch?

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2019 11:04 PM

Well hon, I'm sure you probably are. I mean she had to actually "say" something to get you to visit them once a week??? That's pretty bad. What you really should do is go see them once a week and do something like their laundry or grocery shopping or regular chore that will make their life easier. Then, I would send them a card every other week or so, hand written, telling them what is going on with you and how much you love them. This, they will love more than anything. This. You will be more grateful for anything in your life.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2019 11:33 PM

Don’t make it like an chore. I hate that.

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2019 11:39 PM

She knows you want her $. This story is, literally, as olde as the hills.

by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2019 11:43 PM

What does “moved town” mean?

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2019 11:44 PM

Hahhahaha, R19, I love you ❤️

by Anonymousreply 29December 3, 2019 11:53 PM

"Moved town" means pulled up stakes and skedaddled.

by Anonymousreply 30December 3, 2019 11:58 PM

It's because you are OP

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2019 1:25 AM

That's odd because my grandma called you a thirsty whore.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2019 1:25 AM

Sounds like a pretty high-maintenance grandma, if you ask me. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2019 1:30 AM

What a cunt! However, OP, you sound like drama

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2019 1:31 AM

She is just cranky - you will never do enough to satisfy her, and your grandma is just blowing off steam

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2019 1:32 AM

OP, visiting your grandmother every single week is ADMIRABLE! Most grannies would kill for their grandson to visit them once every quarter. A weekly visit is unheard of in this day and age.

I visit my grandmother once every quarter, as I live in Germany since 2013, so it takes me a good part of the day to get there (she, of course, still lives in The Netherlands). She is grateful for my visits, as my brother, who lives only twenty minutes away from her, doesn’t even visit twice a year!

Long story short: Don’t take it to heart. You are a sweetheart for paying her a visit so often. It could well be the onset of dementia. Watch for the little telltale signs.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2019 1:42 AM

Frontin’ on Gramma? Shame on you. Smh.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2019 5:09 AM

You've put on airs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2019 5:36 AM

She’s very perceptive for her age

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2019 10:35 PM

Grandma calls it as she sees it Queen down. She could be right.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2019 10:43 PM

Just give her a good eatin'

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2019 12:40 AM

What do you mean "acting fake"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2019 1:34 PM

She sounds hard to deal with. Punch and delete.

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2019 2:53 PM

Tell Granny that you enjoy seeing them, but you feel bad that she apparently doesn't enjoy your visits, so in the future, you will not see her as often if it is so unpleasant for her. Then stay away for about a month. Fuck them. She's pissed because you moved and she has less freedom to do what she wants. But also, OP examine your behavior to see if you're becoming more superficial. And you know what? Fill your spare time with something meaningful. So next time you see or speak to her you can say you've been busy volunteering etc.

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2019 3:19 PM

She knows exactly why you visit.

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2019 10:16 PM

[quote] fake/phony

That's exactly what I call my boss, a fake phoney. And I hate her

So OP, if your name is Danielle, YOU'RE A FAKE, PHONEY, BITCH

If you aren't Danielle, then please disregard the above message

by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2019 10:30 PM

She knows EXACTLY why all the buzzards are flying around her house.

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2019 12:13 PM

Are you still in the will? That’s all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2019 12:18 PM

[quote]"Moved town" means pulled up stakes and skedaddled.

Thanks, Joe Biden.

by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2019 12:25 PM

r36 you have a big uncut dick, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2019 12:26 PM

Op never came back to check on us either. Phony cunt.

by Anonymousreply 51December 10, 2019 12:44 PM

Some mothers and grandmothers are just counts. Plain and simple. Just because they grow old and they have offspring doesn't decuntify them.

by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2019 9:01 AM

Lol granny with plastic hip, fake chompers, dyed hair and glasses calling our beloved OP fake. Ain't that rich!

by Anonymousreply 53December 18, 2019 5:57 PM

What R7 and R8 said, Op. if this is out of character for her, which it sounds like it may be, this sounds like symptom of dementia onset.

by Anonymousreply 54December 18, 2019 6:04 PM

This reminds me of Yolonda Hadid when she wanted her friends to come over an paint little paintings for Gigi when she was going off to college in NYC (LOL college). Lisa V could not make it and Yolanda accused her of just being a Hollywood friend and not a real friend. Yor Granny is Yolanda Hadid. Fucking crazy.

by Anonymousreply 55December 18, 2019 6:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!