Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

First Black girl cast as Marie in “The Nutcracker” for New York City Ballet

She is so cute!! Good for her. I love her attitude.

But for Charlotte, although she thinks being the first Black Marie is a big deal, she says it’s not different because it’s “just how I grew up,” the Times reports. Dance is what’s most important to her.

“To me, it just feels like when I dance. I feel free and I feel empowered,” Charlotte told The New York Times. “I feel like I can do anything when I dance. It makes me happy, and I’m going to do what makes me happy. You don’t need to think about anything else.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 6:43 PM

Very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2019 2:49 PM

It’s sad that this is news worthy.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2019 2:51 PM

It’s sad that this is news worthy.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2019 2:51 PM

But they've changed it to a hip-hop theme and renamed it, "Crack Dem Nutz". Lots of booty-popping choreography.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 3:00 PM

She’s quite clearly mixed race. Why are they only saying Black?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 3:03 PM

Why? So that creatures like [R4] can have an opportunity to put down their cheez doodles and Red Bull and post racist, ignorant shit.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 3:59 PM

Something about Nutcracker always creeped me out. The uncle who gives her the nutcracker always seemed a bit skeevy, then he turns out to be the prince from her dream. At least in the production I saw.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 4:39 PM

She’s so pretty!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 7:41 PM

In NYC, this isn’t news. Try it in Boise and see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2019 7:43 PM

What would happen? Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2019 8:11 PM

R6 It is unfortunate. I always hope that people such as R4 get hit by a bus.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2019 11:36 PM

She is so pretty!!!

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2019 4:29 PM

[quote]She’s quite clearly mixed race. Why are they only saying Black?

Because most of the flyover tourists who come to watch only see "black."

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote]The annual production also includes a diverse cast of other young leads this season, including Tanner Quirk, Marie’s Prince in the ballet, who is half-Chinese; Sophia Thomopoulos, the ballet’s second casting of Marie, who is half-Korean and half-Greek; and Kai Misra-Stone, Sophia’s Prince, who is half-South Asian.

[quote]Charlotte, whose mother’s family is from Trinidad while her father’s side of the family is from the Philippines, is becoming a trailblazer herself with the role of Marie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2019 4:48 PM

Who is “Marie?”

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2019 4:58 PM

Why did they choose a photo in which she has such an obnoxious, smug look on her face?

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2019 8:03 PM

She's a showbiz kid, R16. Would you prefer that obnoxious pose where a precocious gayling has his hands under his chin?

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2019 8:22 PM

She was inspired by Misty Copeland aka Fakerina.

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 4:33 PM

How do you solve a problem like Marie?

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 4:57 PM

The little girl in The Nutcracker has always been named Clara. When did this "Marie" shit start up?

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 6:21 PM

Are they setting it in the Bronx and changing the mouse to a rat?

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 6:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!