Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mountain scenery

I'm thinking of an international trip next year and I want to go somewhere with snowy mountains, rivers and lakes. Where is the best place to go for that outside the US?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 6, 2020 8:05 PM

The province of Alberta , Canada is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Try Banff and Lake Louise.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2019 3:27 AM

Switzerland is great. Little towns like Murren, Laurernrunnen are beautiful, pedestrian friendly villages with all the first world benefits.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2019 3:29 AM

I've never been, but New Zealand is mountainous and supposed to be very beautiful. The Italian Alps are gorgeous, and then you can add Venice at the end.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2019 3:33 AM

What was the mountain Heidi lived in? The one that cures polio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 3:40 AM

Ditto to r1.

I mean, nothing beats the Matterhorn, but western Canada is at least contiguous to the US.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 3:44 AM

A well-traveled friend of mine just went to Lake Como and the Dolomites, and said it was one of the most spectacular places she's ever seen. I've never been there, but thought Salzburg was lovely. Have you been to Nelson in western British Columbia? It's very pretty. The Waterton Lakes National Park along the B.C./Alberta/Montana border is gorgeous too. This is Lake Braies, northeast of Lake Como.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 3:51 AM

The Andean region of Peru! The Ancash and Huayhuash regions have some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world, IMO. And cheap, with so few tourists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 3:55 AM

Several people have already mentioned the Canadian Rockies. It is where I grew up, so I'm obviously biased, but it is spectacular. While Banff and Lake Louise are the most famous, there are endless other lesser known places throughout the vast region that are beyond compare. Consider Moraine Lake at the link, my personal favorite spot. There's also Emerald Lake, Johnson Canyon, the Columbia Icefields, Jasper, and much, much more to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 4:07 AM

New Zealand.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2019 4:33 AM

In Peru, you can also view the source of the mighty Amazon River. One of the mountains in this area was also the inspiration for the Paramount Pictures logo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2019 4:55 AM

Probably Nepal.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2019 5:05 AM

Ala Archa National Park, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

South Island, New Zealand (take the Tranzalpine from Greymouth to Christchurch)

Dolomites, Italy

Pirin and Rila National Parks, Bulgaria

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2019 5:28 AM

If you want to go outside your comfort zone, I recommend the Peruvian Andes. When it's summer in North America, it's winter in South America, so June or July is ideal. But be prepared for the very high altitude.

I have a home in Cusco and love everything about Peru, especially the cuisine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2019 5:43 AM

July of last year I visited the south island of New Zealand You can get some great views of snow capped mountains then since summer here is winter there. The further south the more impressive. New Zealand has so few people, that you don't encounter the tourist crowds you see in Europe.

The towns of Queenstown and Lake Te Anau offer magnificent views from your hotel room. I also visited the Franz Josef glacier and Fjordlands National Park, which had some spectacular views of the mountains and waterfalls. I also did a boat tour of Doubtful Sound that is quite scenic, but I hear that the Milford Sound tour is more breathtaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2019 5:45 AM

Wouldn't June or July be quite cold in the Peruvian mountains?

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2019 5:46 AM

[quote]especially the cuisine.

Cuy in Cuzco. Yum!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2019 5:47 AM

R15 Yes! But the OP wants a snowy mountain scene.

–R13

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2019 5:50 AM

Sorry about the stinky linky at R14. Here's a picture of Doubtful Sound I was trying to link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2019 5:54 AM

Did you really have to ask?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2019 6:08 AM

Don't forget the fjord areas of western Norway. Western Austria, Switzerland, southern Germany, northern Italy, and Southeastern France all have major snippets of the Alps. Between Poland and Czechoslovakia is a beautiful mountain range, the Tatras. The Caucasus mountains can be accessed from the country of Georgia. Japan has its own Alps and volcanoes, like famous Mount Fuji. And if you wanted to go crazy wild, you could go to the Kamchatka peninsula in far eastern Russia, where there are something like 100 volcanoes, many of them 13,000 feet or higher, and quite a few active ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2019 6:13 AM

Kamchatka

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2019 6:17 AM

Tatras

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2019 6:20 AM

Caucaus Mountains

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2019 6:21 AM

So much beauty in a single thread.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2019 6:23 AM

Japanese Alps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2019 6:23 AM

I've been retired for six years and have been travelling a lot. Bang for the buck I'd go for the Canadian Rockies.

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2019 6:43 AM

Chamonix-Mont Blanc, Haute-Savoie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2019 6:56 AM

Beautiful photos on here.

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2019 8:20 AM

Southern Chile is spectacular! The southern part of the Andes Mountains are insanely glaciated and stunning! You can see the mountains by hiking, camping or glamping, rock climbing, horseback (a friend did this and was stunned), or just sit on the deck of a cruise ship and admire the scenery. The mountains come down to the sea, and the coastal views are comparable to Norway or New Zealand.

Plus, you can go in December, and get out of Christmas and all the holiday bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 3, 2019 9:25 AM

I can't recommend the Antarctic peninsula too highly!

No, really. I took a cruise there, and it was just amazing! Mountainous coast, living glaciers, penguins, birding, and yes, a whale did surface ten feet from our Zodiac. Scared the fuck out of the old Antarctica hand who was piloting, he fell down and we all laughed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 3, 2019 9:29 AM

Looks gorgeous R29

by Anonymousreply 31December 3, 2019 4:08 PM

I've heard Korea is very mountainous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 3, 2019 4:30 PM

Canada, duh.

by Anonymousreply 33December 3, 2019 5:19 PM

Slovenia-- slightly less explored, close to Vienna and Venice when you get bored with nature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 3, 2019 5:53 PM

Switzerland, Switzerland, Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 35December 3, 2019 5:54 PM

Canada, Banff, Jasper. Can't beat the Canadian Rockies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 3, 2019 5:56 PM

R30 what if that rubber dinghy you tourists were sitting inches away from the water in had popped? If it was struck by something.

You can see the same stuff in Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego without the dangerous ocean. Penguins are there too

by Anonymousreply 37December 3, 2019 5:58 PM

That hand had a good mind to be scared. That whale could have fallen on youse all and youruns.

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2019 6:00 PM

South Island of New Zealand. Spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2019 6:02 PM

The San Juan Mountains of Colorado are an amazing, if you like road trips. Dazzlingly green in summer, lurid with neon-colored aspens in fall, stunning when snow-covered in winter, if you go when the roads are clear. Dotted with pretty towns like Telluride, Ouray, and Durango. If you want a comparatively low-cost vacay in the US, the San Juan Mountains are a contender for the title of Most Beautiful Part of the Rockies.

So if you're in the mood for a road trip kind of vacation, check out the San Juans in southwestern Colorado! But it is a bit of a road trip, the mountains are probably six hours from any major airport, there will be driving involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2019 6:06 PM

India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2019 6:06 PM

Iceberg Lake, Montana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2019 6:08 PM

West Virginia -- America's Switzerland

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 3, 2019 6:24 PM

Close by - Lake Louise and Banff. Further afield - New Zealand (possibly the most beautiful place on earth).

by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2019 8:58 PM

More Peruvian mountain scenery for your consideration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2019 12:41 AM

One more photo of Peruvian Andes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2019 2:46 AM

Great suggestions! I love all of them.

I have never been outside of North America, so the European and South American suggestions intrigue me.

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2019 4:48 AM

Now I need to go to Banff. Never really occurred to me. Seems nicer than Aspen and Telluride.

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2019 4:50 AM

Romania is very beautiful. Cold Mountain the movie was filmed there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2019 4:53 AM

Completely agreed with R1. Banff and Lake Louise are the most beautiful places in Canada

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2019 4:56 AM

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2019 4:57 AM

The Incan trail in Peru. See Macchu Picchu

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2019 12:07 PM

It's pretty hard to beat Nepal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2019 9:02 PM

Nepal himalayas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2019 9:03 PM

Tibet is also stunning but I don't know what the travel situation is with China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2019 9:06 PM

Mount Everest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2019 9:07 PM

The Adirondacks.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2019 9:11 PM

R56, Tibet looks lovely. I would like to go there some day.

by Anonymousreply 58December 5, 2019 2:08 AM

Switzerland, Southern Alps in NZ----Queenstown not so impressive, Antarctica---was just there, impressive

by Anonymousreply 59December 5, 2019 2:27 AM

OP, perhaps you should use your fitness level to narrow down your choices. I understand one has to be VERY fit to hike the Peruvian Andes or trek the Himalayas of Nepal, both the trails and the altitude require a high level of cardiovascular fitness.

So, are you planning to hike, trek, or sit in the hotel garden and admire the scenery? If hiking, trekking, or backpacking, how are you at vigorous exercise done at10,000 feet above sea level or more?

by Anonymousreply 60December 5, 2019 2:44 AM

Adventureman Dan and Sage show you Korea

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 5, 2019 2:55 AM

R60 is right. At this age, Switzerland, Banff, Aspen are good ideas because of ear of access, accommodations, food and health support.

by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2019 3:03 AM

Just reiterating some of what's been said above: 1. South Island of NZ. 2. Tasmania. 3. Adirondacks 4. Corsica 5 Norway

All are wonderful

by Anonymousreply 63December 5, 2019 3:16 AM

I wasn't that impressed with the scenic beauty of Tasmania. The Canadian Rockies, the south island of New Zealand, Switzerland and Austria were mind blowing though. Actually, the Pacific Northwest in the US is incredibly gorgeous as well.

by Anonymousreply 64December 5, 2019 3:24 AM

I would stick to a safe country if don't have much experience traveling abroad

by Anonymousreply 65December 5, 2019 3:33 AM

Montenegro has it all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 5, 2019 3:48 AM

R60: I am 49, in decent shape but no experienced trekker. I would like to do some moderate hiking but probably won't be scaling any peaks. I will probably like to enjoy most of the scenery from the bottom up, at a balcony with a book and a warm drink.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

by Anonymousreply 67December 5, 2019 4:13 AM

OP, what a few other posters said. If you want lots of convenience, Banff and Alps. If you're up for a little more adventure -- but very rewarding -- Peru!

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2019 4:12 AM

Travel to the magical land of Thomas Kinkade, OP.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2019 4:22 AM

"I will probably like to enjoy most of the scenery from the bottom up, at a balcony with a book and a warm drink. "

I think the Alps offer the nicest hotels and tastiest drinks, and Switzerland has the most stunning mountains I've ever seen, and I've checked out mountain ranges on several continents. See Lauterbrunnen, below, which looks like they started with Yosemite and then piled the Himalayas on top of it.

Although, Switzerland was insanely expensive the last time I looked. British Columbia or Colorado are a hell of a lot more affordable, if you're starting in North America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 6, 2019 3:42 PM

I'll share one more photo of Peru, just because I like all of this pretty mountain scenery, and wish I was there instead of work right now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 10, 2019 6:05 PM

This says it all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 10, 2019 6:25 PM

Shangri La. You can break into Burt Bacharach/Hal David songs, and nobody will come to take you away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 10, 2019 6:30 PM

Zakopane, Poland

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2019 6:57 PM

Canada.

by Anonymousreply 75December 10, 2019 7:39 PM

Central Asia is beautiful, but scary people. Particularly if you are female.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2019 7:47 PM

Tajikistan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 10, 2019 7:54 PM

R76, scary how? I'm considering a trip out to that region.

by Anonymousreply 78December 10, 2019 7:55 PM

R25 yes, I vote for northern Japan - Hokkaido. Beautiful mountains, lots of snow, great skiing too if you like that. And it’s Japan, so lots of great food. Plus now with the bullet train route to Hokkaido finished, you can take the train or plane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 10, 2019 7:59 PM

Kyrgyzstan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 10, 2019 7:59 PM

Kyrgyzstan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 10, 2019 7:59 PM

Scary Central Asia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 10, 2019 8:02 PM

More scary Central Asia

by Anonymousreply 83December 10, 2019 8:04 PM

Sorry forgot link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 10, 2019 8:05 PM

Can’t go wrong with Norway, even in the winter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 10, 2019 8:36 PM

The mountain scenery of Norway can be viewed from the deck of a cruise ship, with drink in hand, as the OP prefers.

Kazakstan and it's neighbors... not so much. And I doubt those places would be a great place to go around being gay, even a fat old resigned gay like most of us.

by Anonymousreply 86December 10, 2019 8:40 PM

Inca quarry trail in Peru.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 11, 2019 4:30 AM

Boyfriends React to Broke Straight Boys Reality Show (EP08) *FINALE*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 11, 2019 1:33 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 11, 2019 3:01 PM

Rodgers and Hart really knew how to write a tune

by Anonymousreply 90December 11, 2019 3:42 PM

Austria and Switzerland

by Anonymousreply 91December 11, 2019 5:14 PM

Sorry, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 92December 11, 2019 5:41 PM

That's OK, it was a nice break

by Anonymousreply 93December 12, 2019 4:50 AM

Come to Switzerland and see the glaciers before they disappear. Last chance!

Dolomites are nice, too. Also the French Alps.

There really is snow at the top of the alps and most days you can even ski a bit in the morning in Zermatt.

by Anonymousreply 94December 12, 2019 5:01 AM

Some more pretty mountains for such a winter's day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 6, 2020 6:29 PM

Matterhorn? Stick to the one in Anaheim, OP.

by Anonymousreply 96January 6, 2020 8:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!