Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm An Eldergay & I Still Love Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer

And I don't care who knows it. It just starting on CBS. Sweet memories of a much nicer time.

by Anonymousreply 60December 25, 2019 1:11 AM

Hermey is a total flamer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2019 12:05 AM

Just remember if you are going to love Rudolph make sure you have his consent.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2019 12:20 AM

everyone loves Rudolph OP, who cares if you're old

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2019 12:27 AM

You know, when people have fond memories of childhood things I am OK with quality stuff, like Rudolph and Charlie Brown. This is classic animation with with and good songs. I always look askance when people like shows like I Dream of Jeannie or Bewitched, or God forbid, The Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2019 12:30 AM

^^with wit and good songs^^

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2019 12:31 AM

I tried to watch this with the Christmas Moose last year, but it was too scary and we had to switch to “The Bells of St. Mary’s”. We’re gonna give it another try now.

Ahhhh, just in time for the Bumble! I guess it’s Bing Crosby, again this year. **sigh**. I guess there’s always tomorrow, for dreams to come true.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2019 12:34 AM

Hermey is obviously transgender. Otherwise his name would be Hismey.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2019 12:41 AM

[quote] “Good-bye, Hermie. Whatever a dentist is, I hope someday, that you’re the greatest.”

Bwaaaaaaaa!

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2019 12:45 AM

[quote] “Yukon! He’s gone! Oh, he’s gone!”

Bwaaaaaaaaaaa!

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2019 12:53 AM

There’s no question that this is an allegory about growing up Gay, right?

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2019 12:56 AM

I’m a cynical jaded old eldergay - but I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2019 12:58 AM

OMG, They almost cancelled Christmas!!!

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2019 12:59 AM

I always had the hots for the tall elf with the glasses.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2019 1:01 AM

Santa was such an asshole in this.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2019 1:03 AM

Me too OP.

This is for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2019 1:04 AM

Rudolph always reminded me of Ralph Macchio in Karate Kid.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2019 1:12 AM

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Jealous, bitches?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2019 1:13 AM

Here’s a Norwegian reindeer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2019 1:15 AM

Yukon Cornelius!

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2019 1:22 AM

OK, forgive my ignorance - but is a reindeer relation to a deer? Because I know deer is tasty when prepared properly.

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2019 1:24 AM

Lucifer, you totally freaked-out the Christmas Moose. SHAME ON YOU!

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2019 1:28 AM

Here’s a wee little polar bear. Notice that he’s got some pretty sharp claws already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2019 1:30 AM

Reindeer are also called Caribou. Both males and females can have antlers. Their eye color changes from gold to blue, seasonally. They can see into the ultraviolet spectrum, much further than humans. Most do not have noses that glow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2019 1:40 AM

Nobody wants a Charley-in-the-Box!

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2019 1:43 AM

Jeeze, R24, that movie ought to have an R rating.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2019 1:47 AM

I like Rudolph as well.

And the Charlie Brown and Mr. Magoo Christmas specials, and the Waltons Christmas movie with Patricia Neal.

And Sniffles . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2019 1:49 AM

“She said I’m cute!”

Love that line.

by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2019 4:45 AM

Was Prancer the gay reindeer?

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2019 4:51 AM

[quote]Rudolph always reminded me of Ralph Macchio in Karate Kid.

R16, This is pretty amazing since Karate Kid came out like 20 years AFTER Rudolph!! How does that work?

" Mommy, mommy, Rudolph reminds of an actor from the future!"

by Anonymousreply 29December 3, 2019 7:05 AM

I can't watch it anymore. once I reached 35 and it STILL made me cry every year I realized that I was far too sensitive for it and went back to watching criminal procedurals etc.

by Anonymousreply 30December 3, 2019 7:17 AM

I just had an epiphany

by Anonymousreply 31December 3, 2019 7:22 AM

I was absolutely TERRIFIED of the Abominable Snowman when I was a boy.

by Anonymousreply 32December 3, 2019 8:09 AM

I love the mismatched pack of dogs that pulls Yukon Cornelius' sled. When push comes to shove, the dogs jump onto the sled and Yukon Cornelius pulls them.

by Anonymousreply 33December 3, 2019 8:40 AM

I always identified with Rudolf long before I knew I was gay.

by Anonymousreply 34December 3, 2019 8:43 AM

[quote] “Yukon! He’s gone! Oh, he’s gone!” Bwaaaaaaaaaaa!

The part that gets me is is when the Misfit Toys see a red light in the sky....

Bwaaaaaaaaaaa!

by Anonymousreply 35December 3, 2019 9:05 AM

And let's face it DL, we are all Misfit Toys. Merry Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 3, 2019 9:26 AM

After his secret became known, I remember as little boy getting very upset when Comet told all the other reindeer kids that they would make sure to never let Rudolph join in any more reindeer games. I hated Comet for that. Later on in school life I noticed how so many male coaches in school turned out to have the same hateful attitude toward kids they deemed different or not up to par with the more athletic kids.

by Anonymousreply 37December 3, 2019 10:18 AM

[quote] Rudolph always reminded me of Ralph Macchio in Karate Kid.

Why, his balls didn’t drop until he was 25, either?

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2019 11:38 AM

[quote] Perhaps more people will tune-in to watch due to her name recognition and the curiosity.

Everybody likes a good carnival sideshow.

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2019 11:42 AM

My great uncle worked on Rudolph. He made many of the puppets, and did repair work during the shoot.

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2019 11:52 AM

It's called a rerun R29.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2019 11:56 AM

Ooops, wrong thread at R39

by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2019 12:06 PM

As with other Rankin-Bass productions, particularly "Mad Monster Party," there's a particular Mad Magazine style of Jewishness to it that I always liked. Wanting to be a professional rather than a line worker was heavily coded for being Jewish. So was having a big nose. Plus it's all about accepting yourself and others. A very progressive Jewish story. Perfect for those of us creeped out by the story of the rape baby born in a barn.

by Anonymousreply 43December 3, 2019 12:22 PM

Rape baby? Are you off your meds?

by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2019 12:25 PM

I love all of these classic holiday specials. Anyone remember this little ditty from 'Twas the Night Before Christmas? I love this song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 3, 2019 12:34 PM

When the misfit rag doll says she hadn’t any tears left - I identify with my inner bullied child from a broken home.

by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2019 12:41 PM

Don't forget Olive!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2019 2:17 PM

"There's always tomorrow for dreams to come true..."

I sobbed during that song the first year it was broadcast. I think it was then that my Dad figured me out...

by Anonymousreply 48December 3, 2019 3:42 PM

I've told this story before here, but here goes again. For all the faults of my parents, they did two really wonderful things for me as a kid. One year for Christmas, I got a stuffed elephant with pink spots that my mother had dyed onto its fur. When the spots eventually wore off, she told me it was because I had loved him so much, and he was happy. The next year, my dad made me a wooden train engine with square wheels. I was told Santa brought them to me because he knew I would love them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2019 3:56 PM

Here's that old article that has been posted before about The Gay Subtext of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Even as a child, we picked up what a prejudiced, mean piece of shit Santa could be -

[quote] “For a year the Donner family did a good job hiding Rudolph’s — non-conformity,” the narrator tells us, pausing slightly before landing on the right euphemism. This is the closet of Rudolph’s parents devising, which he goes along with thanks to the internalized homophobia that he inherited from both his father and Santa, the superego of the North Pole, who is equally distressed by Rudolph’s difference. Santa even goes so far as to tell Donner that he should be ashamed of his son and try to change him. It’s almost as if Santa is a church elder trying to force Rudolph into conversion therapy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2019 4:07 PM

At the end of the story, Santa gets all Kumbaya-y and accepts Rudolph and this Red Nose, but only because Rudolph's deformity proved useful to the old man. But deep inside you know Santa still hates men who sing show tunes, watch the Oscars, and can't guide his sleigh at night.

by Anonymousreply 51December 3, 2019 4:15 PM

Merry Christmas!

Love,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 3, 2019 4:20 PM

When I was a kid when you took NBC Studio Tour they had the puppets in a glass case on display.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 3, 2019 6:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 3, 2019 6:41 PM

R31: island of misfit toys

Is that Fire Island?

by Anonymousreply 55December 3, 2019 6:44 PM

Apparently in the original cut, Santa didn't even bother to go back for the misfit toys. They added that scene later.

by Anonymousreply 56December 3, 2019 8:03 PM

Billie Mae Richards was the voice of Rankin/Bass' version of the character Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. She also had a bit part in the 1998 horror film Bram Stoker's Shadow Builder, in which her character was attacked with an axe by Paul Soles (who had played Hermey the elf in the original Rudolph special).

So Hermey had it in for Rudolph all along.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2019 1:48 PM

R49, I remember your story now when I see the film. It made me tear up both times I've read it.

by Anonymousreply 58December 5, 2019 12:29 PM

OP, I, too, love this show. Thought you might be interested in this video done by a Rudolph devotee who compares and contrasts the different versions currently available.

(I always wanted to be King Moonracer. Partly because it is such a great name, partly because I could identify with his commitment to duty, partly because my father and brothers would sing Vaughn Monroe’s “Racing With The Moon” in four-part harmony.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 5, 2019 12:55 PM

It's on FreeForm now. The film copy is very clean and bright, and the colors are great.

by Anonymousreply 60December 25, 2019 1:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!