Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Melbourne Australia

Pulled the trigger on a trip to Melbourne, AU. What are some good places to go for a couple of bitter dinosaur queens?

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2019 2:10 PM

No one has any suggestions from across the (placid) pond?

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 9:13 PM

If you haven’t already chosen somewhere to stay, I can highly recommend “QT Melbourne” it’s my go to hotel when I visit. I absolutely love it there. Very quirky rooms and the beds are the best I’ve ever slept on.

I definitely think Sydney has more things to do. But off the top of my head there’s the National Gallery of Victoria which usually has a good exhibit on. Yarra Bend Park has nice night time views of the city and there’s the Melbourne Star observation wheel. Theres also a good outlet shopping mall at South Wharf.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 9:28 PM

I could easily provide you a full 10 day itinerary for Sydney but with Melbourne I’d struggle to fill up one day. I’d recommend Sydney over Melbourne any day.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 9:34 PM

We already have lodging in the CBD. Love Sidney, but this is the first visit to Melbourne. Any comparisons vis a vis the public transit?

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 9:37 PM

Melbourne is an absolute shithole. Don't bother OP. Stick to Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 9:39 PM

Decent people do not "pull the trigger" on vacations.

Lord, these people.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2019 9:41 PM

The Immigration Museum is really worth a visit. Take a hankie.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2019 9:42 PM

Melbourne has the free tram for the inner CBD. But the Sydney transport options are amazing. Definitely the better of the two cities for PT. There’s a decent shuttle service from the airport to the CBD in Melbourne. Make sure to pick up a Myki card for your PT needs.

Where are you coming from?

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2019 9:43 PM

You can still visit QT Melbourne for their roof top bar. It has amazing views across the city at night.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2019 9:47 PM

Amazing views to what? A muddy river and grey buildings? Besides, most of the time it's rainy and overcast and you can't see a thing anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2019 9:49 PM

"On the Beach is a story about the end of the world, and Melbourne sure is the right place to film it!"

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2019 9:56 PM

The old prison, the world fair exhibition building, the history museum, the theaters, chinatown, the legislature building, the trolleys, the war memorial. The skyline is quite attractive.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 10:02 PM

We're coming from San Diego R8. Not looking forward to the long flight, that's for sure.

R6, we are on a faggot gossip site--of course we're not "decent". Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 11:06 PM

‘Me? Sure I’m decent.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2019 5:40 AM

The Burn Unit?

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2019 5:51 AM

I'm FROM Melbourne and can't think of a thing that would fill up a day of sightseeing. Go see Phar Lap in the Museum. Walk on St. Kilda Promenade. Lygon/Fitzroy Streets for coffee. Outside Melbourne: Wilson's Prom for the wombats, Phillip Island for the Fairy Penguins, Healesville Sanctuary for the lyrebirds.

The only gobsmacking thing to do in Sydney is take the train from Martin Place over the Harbour bridge to North Sydney. The view from the train of the Opera House and the Bay are infuckingcredible.

Both Melbourne and Sydney are a couple of isolated, provincial cities of no consequence at the end of the world, a whole lotta fuck nothing. Sydney just has more of it.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2019 6:08 AM

Best place in Melbourne is the airport departure lounge.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2019 6:40 AM

Where do you live now r16?

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2019 7:31 AM

The people aren't very nice. The gays have attitude for no reason and the bar scene is boring with shit music and weird divisions of subculture - and no mixing! The coffee is ok but not as good as they think.

You will want to go to Madame Brussels for a happy hour drink. Luna Park is ok if you make it out to St Kilda. The Royal Botanic Gardens make for a nice picnic. A day trip down to the wineries at the Mornington Peninsula is better than most of the crap in the city.

Have an escape plan for Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2019 8:28 AM

When are you going OP? Because in Jan/Feb the Australian Open tennis is on, and other months have music and comedy festivals.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2019 9:32 AM

[quote]Both Melbourne and Sydney are a couple of isolated, provincial cities of no consequence at the end of the world, a whole lotta fuck nothing.

Proof that locals can't appreciate the treasure they have where they live.

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2019 9:39 AM

When are you going? i am going to be there early Jan. We can meet up.

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2019 10:10 AM

[quote]Proof that locals can't appreciate the treasure they have where they live.

Proof that imagination plays a far greater role in perception than reality.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2019 10:28 AM

We won't be there until the latter part of April. Is that too late in their autumn?

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2019 2:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!